Help With New Project? Stamp database.

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: Help With New Project? Stamp database.

Post by Global Administrator »

Well done - an amazing amount of work!

Glen
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

collectordave
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by collectordave »

Just a note to say thanks to the two collectors testing the MAC version.

The first thing to come out of this is that all collector data will be held in the User/Documents folder to give some consistency between operating systems. Linux does this as well so one step towards a linux version.

regards

Cd
get to World Collector here
http://worldcollector.eu/

lsemmens
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by lsemmens »

I'm willing to assist with a Linux port, What language have you used to develop the app in?

In the past I was a dBase/Clipper programmer and have some experience with Access.

Since moving to Linux, however, I have neither the need, nor the real desire to run those programs any more.

What sort of assistance will you need?

collectordave

Post by collectordave »

Hi Isemmens,

I was also a DBase III,IV and clipper designer and programmer for many years.

I have only a small notebook running Linux as it is very new to me. So help Alpha testing would be very welcome.

I am using Pure Basic for the main App which is crossplatform compatible in many ways with just a few annoying quirks. It is more closely related to clipper procedural syntax than VB etc. You can download an evaluation version from their website. Minimal cost to buy for life.

Please contact me by email and we can move forward from there.

Of course other help is required in entering and checking data and assigning images etc. I use open Office exclusivly for entering the master list for each country as it seems to be the only one that actually picks up that the lists in CSV format use UTF 8 encodeing. The others destroy all special characters as they load becoming a pain.

Lots of other help required as weel with data entry and updateing. I would really like to get a Linux version working.

kind Regards

CD

Kennethsequeira
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!

Post by Kennethsequeira »

Hi collectordave,

I just downloaded the Mac version, for the images I visited this link - http://worldcollector.eu/ImageDownloads.html but .exe files dont open on Mac. Are there alternatives ?
Collecting Interest: Cricket; India: Joint Issues, Flags on stamps
Mint MS : India,UAE,Canada & Malaysia

collectordave

Post by collectordave »

No alternative as yet.

I will rezip the images as .zip files as these are compatible with all three operating systems.

Will post back here when done.

thanks for testing.

regards

CD

collectordave

Post by collectordave »

I have now started the zipping process.

To Download Images first download the links page here
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fs2mrq2o9iqja5k/Image%20Links.html?dl=0

Double click the file and it will open your browser and display available image links. Click the link for the images you require. After download UNZip into the world collector images folder.

Only countries beginning with A at the moment but will improve over the next few days.

Let me know how you get on.

Regards

CD

collectordave

Post by collectordave »

Hi All

Merry chrstmas and a happy new year.

There are now versions of World Collector available for Windows, MAC and Linux (the linux version being tested right now).

Will be updateing the web site in the new year but if anyone wants to try them post here and I will post individual links to each version.

Kind Regards

CD

collectordave

Post by collectordave »

Web Site Updated.

Windows and Linux versions available there.

Images from A to L also now available.

regards

CD

collectordave

Post by collectordave »

Sorry to all MAC users MAC version now posted as well.

With database updates happening all the time I am also adding a database update facility to the programme which will check if there is an updated database and download it if there is. Will take a little time but please download the app as is and when ready I will post here again.

Regards

collectordave

collectordave

Post by collectordave »

Just a quick note about the LINUX version. It is a 32bit version which as one tester has pointed out does not run on 64bit linux. Just gives a blank screen!

Something I had no idea about. Just shows there is always something new to learn. I am now getting hold of a 64 bit machine to produce a 64bit version.

No time at present to update website but will do ASAP.

Note to all:

I really enjoy getting questions about the programme etc as it has been quite a few years since I started out learning everything from scratch and I have forgotten how daunting a prospect it can be.

It reminds of all those things I now take for granted or that seem perfectly obvious (now I am Old).

So no matter how simple the question may seem please ask away you never know it maybe the one thing I have missed and could lead to an easier install or better programme for all.

collectordave

jkrabbenbos
I was online for Post Number 6 MILLION!

Post by jkrabbenbos »

Hi CollectorDave,

I've just downloaded the Mac version and it hangs after selecting the menu item Stamps->Options->Collections. Did I miss something in the install? I did not yet install any extras. Folder in Documents is created without any problem.

Something else: in Stamps->Options->General I can make changes, but these are lost after a restart of the program. Could it be that something points to a read-only directory? The image file option shows something /private/var/folders on my Mac.

And the last thing, which is specific Mac: Cmd-Q for closing the program does not work. The exit buttons do.

If there is anything to help you with, feel free to ask.

Another optimisation for your Stampboards presence: why not add the URL/link to your web page in your signature?
Kind regards,
Jan
Collecting: Netherlands, pre-decimal New Zealand, Canada
Special interest areas: Canada Admirals, NZ Adsons, Antarctica, E.H. Shackleton

collectordave

Post by collectordave »

Just looking at the problem I have left the preferences file in the application folder which maybe a problem, that would be the same for the options as well.

I will update the programme and put the preferences into the data folders created in your home folder.

I did not know about Cmd-Q so will check it out and add.

The Image file option in General is to allow you to add a folder wherever you want for if and when you scan or download any images put them there and the programme will look there first.

Obviously you cannot change it yet as it will be lost.

Please post any improvements that will enhance the user experience on any operating system.

URL added to signature as well.

Thanks for the tips

CD

PS Yep preferences in wrong place changed will post on website later this week as I have now added Cinderellas to the filter with an option to use the collection filter or not with a few slight improvements to the image recognition tool.

collectordave

Post by collectordave »

Just a note for Linux Users.

The download is for 32 bit only this will not run on 64 bit linux.

64bit now programmed will be available on web site later will announce here when web site updated.

Regards

collectordave

collectordave

Post by collectordave »

I have just bought a 'smart phone' didn't seem to smart at first but wanted something small to take to stamp fairs etc with my wants list on.

After actually reading the manual a little I found it could display PDF files so created a folder called my Stamps Wanted and created an image report duly placed on the phone and now I can see my wants list with images a little fiddly but thinking of making a phone friendly report (big images and some stamp details on each page) so each page is a want from my collection. The phone is easier to carry than my tablet or mobile.

Is it something other collectors would also want?

Regards

CD

collectordave

Post by collectordave »

Another UpDate

Main application now almost complete need to add more data.

Started rewrite of album page designer. This is not the quick album part of World collector but a standalaone application to produce Stamp Albums.

You add stamp shapes, images etc to pages ready for conversion to PDF format for printing.

One intrigueing suggestion is to produce custom sized pages so anyone using a loose leaf album can create new or additional pages for their album at the albums page size. I support A4 and Letter page sizes at the moment but if there is some need for custom page sizes I can add at the moment.

If anyone wants these let me know what name to give the page and its size in millimetres.

Regards

CD

clivel
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by clivel »

collectordave wrote:Another UpDate

Started rewrite of album page designer. This is not the quick album part of World collector but a standalaone application to produce Stamp Albums.

You add stamp shapes, images etc to pages ready for conversion to PDF format for printing.

One intriguing suggestion is to produce custom sized pages so anyone using a loose leaf album can create new or additional pages for their album at the albums page size. I support A4 and Letter page sizes at the moment but if there is some need for custom page sizes I can add at the moment.

If anyone wants these let me know what name to give the page and its size in millimetres.

Regards

CD
I don't understand why you are reinventing the wheel, and why you don't just output album files in AlbumEasy format, that way, amongst other things, the user can set the page to any size they like.
Clive

collectordave

Post by collectordave »

I am looking at the Album Easy format and will likely one day output an album as an album easy file. That way World Collector can become a graphical front end to Album easy.

In the meantime any album easy user can out put the data in CSV format and transfer the values needed.

Many other things to do at the moment and using different sized pages at this point in the rewrite is as simple as adding a few lines of code. Of course when done these page sizes will be output in Album Easy format as well when the export is written.

Very much in the future unless someone can help.

Regards

collectordave

lsemmens

Post by lsemmens »

After a minor hiccup on my computer, I had to re-load everything recently and somehow forgot to back up my data. I've just downloaded the database again. I thought that you had the 64 bit version sorted. Maybe I was mistaken because the Linux download is not working on Linux Mint 19 Tara 64bit.

collectordave

Post by collectordave »

Hi

Linux! I purchased a new 64bit computer to load LINUX and found that no 64bit linux distibution would load, i managed to get Linux mint to install but was then told by the machine that "windows did not load correctly shutting down" after a little venting of steam I now have a dual boot system with Linux Mint 19.1 64 bit running. I am just compiling the programme and doing some tests but if I am allowed and if any collector wishes to help test (Especially anyone with linux experience) I can post a link here to a dropbox download for a 64bit version ready for testing.

It appears to be running well on mine but has so many features etc I cannot guarantee everything works.

My apologies to all waiting on the 64 bit linux version.

Regards

collectordave

Razamut
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!

Post by Razamut »

Impressive job! FYI, I am also waiting for the 64bit Linux version to try it.

Just questions regarding the way the database and images are handled.
In the PDF part 2.4 it is written "these are stored in the selected country folder with the World Collector number as the filename". But I downloaded by curiosity some of the pictures and the 32bit software and had a look at the database* and it seems to me that the image are named using the unique ID from the database which will vary from user to user. This looks also as a challenge to keep databases synchronize between users in general.
So I am really wondering how will you keep the database synchronize between the various users. If 2 persons add new stamps in the same country they will have different unique ID. And there may be also World Collector numbering mismatch if for example 2 stamps A & B are issued the same day with same value then deciding which one should be first and second is a random choice.

*could not find a place to download CSV files as indicated on this page: http://worldcollector.eu/

R

collectordave

Post by collectordave »

Just Checking the 64 bit linux version before compiling again. Hopefully today I will update the website if possible but I will add first link on this forum.

The way stamp images are stored has changed, my apologies for not updateing the PDF. The problem was with synchronisation between database updates. When it became apparent I changed to using the unique database number. It also keeps all image filenames unique just in case they get mixed up.

As for adding stamp data it is not too bad when only one or two users are involved but gets beyond madness when, as now 2-300 are involved. So adding stamp data is done centrally by myself. Other users can help if they wish by adding stamps on a spreadsheet but in a controlled manner. The integrity of the main listing has to be maintained.

This way any stamp data added becomes available to all as the database is updated. One further consideration is synchronising catalogue data as that can be swapped between users the unique DB number must remain the same.

The best of course is an online database but my pension does not stretch that far.

The CSV files are all available from the main programme but I will make them available to anyone wishing to use them as a separate download, did not make that clear on the web page.

Seems quite a few are awaiting 64bit Linux so will get on with it now!

Regards

collectordave

collectordave

Post by collectordave »

Ok 64bit Linux version available here. https://www.dropbox.com/s/tt3zh0cr0ahh8ef/World%20Stamp%20Co ... ar.gz?dl=0

This is not for general release and is only available here on this forum.

There will be some bugs please report them here for everyones benefit, I will check as often as I can and clean up any and replace the link. No question is too basic or silly to ask, I probably stare at it too much and miss the obvious.

This is version 9.0.

Enjoy

CD

Razamut

Post by Razamut »

Thanks for the answer on the numbering and images, I agree it is probably the only way without an online database.

And thanks for the 64bit version, I will try it and let you know if I find any issues.

R

Rowan
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Post by Rowan »

Hi guys!

I'm helping my wife out, as she is trying to get some good software to sort out a family collection.

I have downloaded and tried to run this on openSUSE 15 and it fails at the first hurdle as it tries to load a very specific Webgtk library file libwebkitgtk-3.0.so.0. so it will be the same result with many other Linux distros (I have tried to run previous versions on a variety of distros including Mint, Lubuntu etc.,). There must be a better way to do this and while I have no idea how the libraries are declared in the program itself I am an old NIX hack (as in since the 80's :lol:) and would b happy to help out. Please email us directly and I can have a look at the possibilities of making the software more widely Linux friendly.

Cheers, hope I can help! :)

collectordave wrote:Ok 64bit Linux version available here. https://www.dropbox.com/s/tt3zh0cr0ahh8ef/World%20Stamp%20Co ... ar.gz?dl=0

This is not for general release and is only available here on this forum.

There will be some bugs please report them here for everyones benefit, I will check as often as I can and clean up any and replace the link. No question is too basic or silly to ask, I probably stare at it too much and miss the obvious.

This is version 9.0.

Enjoy

CD

clivel

Post by clivel »

Hi Rowan,
I installed it on Linux Mint a few weeks ago. I also remember there being one or more missing dependencies. Unfortunately I don't recall exactly what I did to resolve them.

The program is written in Pure Basic. Out of interest I installed the Pure Basic demo version which required the following:

sudo apt-get install libc6-dev libsdl1.2-dev libgtk-3-dev unixodbc-dev libgnome2-dev libxine2-dev libwebkitgtk-3.0-dev libxxf86vm-dev libwebkitgtk-dev

I think that will resolve the missing dependencies for the World Collector app as well. I am not a Suse user, but I guess that there must be an equivalent command to the "sudo apt-get install"
Clive

collectordave

Post by collectordave »

Hi All,

The webgtk library is used to display the help files and is giving problems not just on Linux systems but on mac as well.

I am currently rewriting the whole help system to remove this dependency entirely, just too many problems.

I have found that Firefox displays the help files correctly so may move the main help to be online.

Sorry for any problems.

Kind Regards

CD

devin
Green Star Less Than 10 Posts Member

Post by devin »

I would be most grateful if you could advise how to import stamp data back into WorldCollector.

I can export information quite easily for example
I start World Stamp Collector
Click on magnifying glass, choose say 'Sweden' on drop down country box, click on green check mark
click on 'tools' at top of page, choose 'export selection' give fill in name [say [Sweden new'] in the pop up box. click OK.

I get a Sweden new.csv file in the Exports folder.
Presumably I can edit this and then import it back into the program.

I want to add the souvenier sheets and fill in the size data for the stamps after 1975. I can fill in the size data without
leaving world stamp collector but this is tedious and I have not figured out how to add stamps while in world stamp
collector.

jkrabbenbos

Post by jkrabbenbos »

Hi CollectorDave,

I just downloaded the latest Mac version and it seems to have issues with the drop-down boxes. When I click on the arrow, they just flash and don't stay open to select something.
Kind regards,
Jan
Collecting: Netherlands, pre-decimal New Zealand, Canada
Special interest areas: Canada Admirals, NZ Adsons, Antarctica, E.H. Shackleton

collectordave

Post by collectordave »

Hi All,

There is no facility to import data back into world collector that is distributed with the application the import needsw to be quite accurate.

If adding lots of new data etc best is to email me with the completed spreadsheet and I will import the data for everyone.

I have done it this way as not all programmes that open .SV files recognise the special characters and change these permanently to some strange characters. Noteably MS Word and notebook etc.

I am working on a filter to change these back when imported but the list is quite long, well over 200 special characters now.
Importing also changes sort orders etc depending on the list as imported.

It may also, without some care, change the database so it is not compatible with other versions.

However if it is a facility that collectors want i will include it in a future version.

The mac version seems a little odd. When selecting from the drop down lists click and hold the mouse button on the down arrow then when the list is displayed move the mouse onto the list without releasing the mouse button you can then access the items on the list when you release the button the current highlighted item is selected. Looking into this to see if I can find a method compatible with Windows,linux and Mac.

kind regards

collectordave

lsemmens

Post by lsemmens »

Sorry, haven't had much time to play of late. I was just working through the "Help" files

INDEX selector on the top right returns an Error on the following pages
"Menus & Toolbar"
"Special Characters"
"Valuation Report"

Returns

Code: Select all

Unable to load page

Problem occurred while loading the URL file:///C:/World%20Stamp%20Collector/New%20Help/index.html

Error opening file /C:/World Stamp Collector/New Help/index.html: No such file or directory
I suspect it's pointing to the wrong thing.

the entire program shuts down when I click on:

"General" button in "Image recognition"
"Other Tools" "Magnifier" the link to "Image Quality" also shuts the program down
I note that Australia is missing from the list of countries in your search criteria

Search also does not permit you to enter the first letter to jump to that section as reported in the help files

In the "Quick Album" pop up, the Shape list box runs into the "Delete" button.

SPELLING
"Creating an Album" "Overview" - option 1 "start world cololector

FORMATTING
"List Sort order" header bar is shorter than all others

Some of these are petty, I also note that there are still some help pages missing.

lsemmens

Post by lsemmens »

Just found 'nutha wun.
World Stamp Collector Options Does not show Australia in the list of Countries Collected

lsemmens

Post by lsemmens »

The "Help" Button on "Enter Search Criteria" pop up does nothing.

If possible it could be helpful to hide the "Close button" on the top RH corner of the windows given that it is disabled.

lsemmens

Post by lsemmens »

I just clicked on "Help" "Check for Updates" and it tells me that there is an update available and asks to download then absolutely nothing appears to happen. Not sure if it's working or not. There certainly does not appear to be any activity to indicate a download.

Also your downloads page on the WSC website appears to be hopelessly out of date.

collectordave

Post by collectordave »

Hi All

Firstly no recognised fault is petty. I stare at the programme many times a week and I am probably blinded by my proximity.

The help file problems are a perfect example. The faults above have led me to see that all three operating systems display the help files in a different way and need treating differently. There is also a problem with versions of web page display software on each system.

I have noticed that Firefox on each system displays the help files the same so I am taking a two pronged attack on the problem. First I am providing an online help system, this is not connected to the application as yet but here is a link to get started http://worldcollector.eu/Help/index.html this will display the help index page if you are online at the time.

The second part is to rewrite the whole help system for each operating system to work offline and then offer users a choice of on or offline help.

If anyone has the time please check out the help link above and let me know where it can be extended.

Images have also been asked for and my problem is that my pension does not stretch to large web space for downloads etc. I am searching for a free solution, if anyone has any suggestions please post here.

kind regards

collectordave

lsemmens

Post by lsemmens »

Just a thought, Could you, rather than providing Images could you actually just link to a resource (with their permission, of course) that does have images. Of course, this does preclude the off line nature of the program. If, say, that resource also sold stamps, it could be an advantage to them.

I'll try and work through the online help files when I get a chance.

Something strange was going on with my collection. It appears that when I link to a watermark image it seems to propagate to other records. I'd happily look at the source code for you, however, my finances do not run to pure basic at the moment.

lsemmens

Post by lsemmens »

I'm slowly working through the online help now. A suggestion would be to provide some screenshots and highlight the actual areas referred. e.g.
1. Which countries do you collect?

WSC can access all data but it can become quite a challenge looking through all countries when you collect only one or two. You can use the collection options to turn off all the countries you do not collect. This shortens the list of countries presented when searching for stamps or other items.
This is self explanatory to a person familiar with the program, but may not be so for a novice.

edit: I do note screenshots in other areas of the help. The newbie will probably be looking at "Before You Begin" in the example above, so, here, screenshots or reference to "additional help on this" would be essential.

Where you do reference another section of help it would be advantageous to include a hyperlink to that area.

I can find no reference to Catalogue Detail - is this "List Detail" on the main screen?
Getting Started
First Step
If you collect to a publishers catalogue......
or is it "Connect" more explanation needed here -
further along "dropdow" needs an n

Working through that particular section does not seem to achieve anything in my database.

Catalogues small typo in Para 3 "...where there are non and value..."

Status And Navigation "At Programme start and if a search for stamp data is undertaken that results in no stamps that match the criteria then no stamps are selected and no navigation is possible." Whilst this is correct, it might be worthwhile explaining how to select stamps before this page, as, at this stage, I still have no idea how to get to a list to navigate.

Stamp Detail Your warning on deleting a stamp is valid but I cannot see any ready way to delete a stamp at this stage. How is that done?

Image Display "Very large images will cause the image handling to raise an error. This prevents extremely large images from cluttering the database and program areas. These images can take a long time to display."
An indication as to the max size of image would be useful.

Catalog Data Display Again - terminology on my program I see "List Display" here, you refer to "catalog title drop down" and your picture shows "Catalogue Detail" - if they all refer to the same thing then consistency in terminology is the key here.
There is a possible programmatical error here as "if detail already exists in the database then this is shown" - I have, on occasion found all the Stanley Gibbons Data for AU in the database - (I have no idea how) so I know it's "in" there but no data shows. (it could be me in this case)

Spelling - Para 4 - "When entering catalogue data it is usefull to" - useful

That will do for now - I shall re-visit this soon.

devin

Post by devin »

I have two questions
1. Currently souvenir sheets are missing from the stamp data base. In the first instance I would like to add them for Sweden. Where do I send the updated .csv I have made for Sweden so these changes will show up in World Collector.

2. This may not be possible but I would like to rearrange stamps on the album page so more stamps fit on a page. For example on the current Sweden album page starting with 1981 there are 3 lines which have just a single stamp on them. There is also a large blank space at the bottom of the page. I would like to rearrange the stamps so more fit on a page and there is less bank space on album pages.

collectordave

Post by collectordave »

Hi All

First Isemmens.

Thank you I will start working through these points ASAP.

With respect to an online resource for images etc I did have a brief flirt with Colnect but for technical and other reasons this was not to be.

There is also a problem with image recognition where if an online resource is not available the image recognition does not work as it has nothing to compare the images to.

Second Devin

1. I am adding souvenir sheets but your help is appreciated.

After adding the extra data to the spreadsheet post the spreadsheet to the email address on the website and I will import the data.

2. The quick album designer is just a simple list processor that takes your list of stamps and converts that into a simple album page mainly done for speed and is adequate for most collecors.

This does have drawbacks as you have found.

I am working on a page designer which will allow these albums to be imported and then all stamp boxes and text will be able to be repositioned and edited directly.

This does however come with some limitations such as shapes needed for stamps, as an axample I came across a souvenir sheet the other week which is 'teddy bear' shaped!

I am now including a shape designer programme in the list of developments.

I am also including a simple paragragh insert option so paragraghs of text can be added to a page as explanation. Together with the ability to add other images such as maps and flags to an album.

Now to start on these help files.

Kind Regards

collectordave

devin

generate an album from csv file

Post by devin »

You can generate a csv file using Stamp Collector. My question is can you modify that csv file by say adding or deleting stamps and then generate a album from the modified csv file using the Stamp Collector software?

lsemmens

Post by lsemmens »

Sorry - I got side tracked- here's some more proof reading from your help file:

THE MAIN AREAS
My Collection
The swap button might be better split into two
. one - Swap needed
one - To swap out

Themes
“this will be a future enhancement to the database. “ might be worth highlighting this in red as per your “to do list” in other areas, as a reminder to you

OPTIONS
Collection Options
Spelling: This country will then be moved into the right hand list bocx of countries you do collect.

STAMP RECOGNITION
The Main Recognition Window
Spelling: The system has still identified the stamp and the data is stioll available double click as normal and the selected data will be available.

An observation on stamp recognition – See comment on Magnifier

OTHER TOOLS
Magnifier - This title is misleading given that the discussion is about scanning
The information on Scanning A Stamp might be better moved to “Stamp Recognition”
The link on Image Quality returns a “404 Not Found” error

Scanning A Stamp
Spelling: After scanning your stamp image click the image select button on the toolbar to select. the image will be displayed in the centrsal area.

Spelling: If possible on your system using the centsal mouse wheel will also zoom in or out of the image.

Export Selection

More explanation as to exactly WHAT is being exported. e.g. current record, entire database, selection of records, Particular series, other?

Spell Checker
Spelling: So adding those starnge foreign words

Special Characters
Spelling: In the tamp collecting hobby
It might also be worth indicating that this option is context sensitive. The Message Box “Not possible to insert here” is good, but gives no real indication of why. e.g. only currency symbols available, or only available in currency field. Many users might consider that you are showing the character map available in various operating systems which allows for foreign characters – e.g. Cyrillic, when Roman is being used.

More to come.

collectordave

Post by collectordave »

A little time off for health reasons.

I have now found free web hosting file hosting.

The file hosting is ad supported so opens an extra window more on the web site.

The new web site is here http://stampcollector.epizy.com/?i=2 the old one still works as well until next year.

I have added links to all images assigned to world collector all the way to Z.

I have also added a small utility to use after downloading the image zip files. Download from the images download page then after downloading some image files run the utility select the country from the list box and click unpack. The images will be unpacked directly into the world collector images folder ready for use.

Regards

CD

collectordave

Post by collectordave »

Still active. Just typing in a lot of data into the database at the moment.

Whole thing reprogrammed especially for downloading and installing images this can now be done from within the programme.

Database updates are now performed through the programme as well so much easier to keep up to date.

I have started a new forum just for World Collector issues such as help getting started etc. Not for general philatelic enquiries.

You can get to the forum through the website, very young as yet so very few members (3) including me!

I will announce updates etc on the new forum and the updated programmes for windows and MAC are available there.

Bad news for Linux users the new Linux upgrades make a mess of the interface so I have had to drop further development on Linux, hopefully only for a short while.

Sorry to anybody following the programme.

collector dave

devin

Post by devin »

Months ago I sent in updated information for Sweden which included souvenir sheets. I think I did the same thing for Iceland. Do not know if these have been acted upon yet. It would be useful to have a information on Stampboard or elsewhere which is a log of updates now included in the World collector data base.

lsemmens

Post by lsemmens »

Thanks for the update Collector Dave, I gave up on World collector in Linux and ended up developing my own app in Libre Office Base.

Penguin644

Post by Penguin644 »

This looks interesting collectordave.

I just tried to download your windows version from your website page at http://stampcollector.epizy.com/downloads.html and got a "404 Page Not Found" error.

Same for the Mac download.

I thought you may not know gremlins were at work!

I look forward to trying out your software.

collectordave

Post by collectordave »

Hi Penguin644 and All,

There are many changes to the programme happening at the moment, one of the main ones is the addition of themed lists. These are lists that work just like catalogues but can contain any stamps from the database in any order.

These are being developed to allow themed albums to be produced.

As an example I have started on the British Commonwealth omnibus issues, so far UPU and Coronation. Now working on the album production.

To keep pace with the changes there is now a forum for world collector. Visit http://stampcollector.epizy.com/?i=3 and click the link to Forum. The latest Windows and Mac versions are available there.

I am also announcing any updates or changes on that forum.

Kind Regards

collectordave

collectordave

Post by collectordave »

First Hi To Rowan,

Received your email. Nice to have you back in the stamp collecting fold.

Now my apologies. The web hosting service I use is free but does suffer some downtime I do not have much hair left so cannot pull out anymore.

I am making some changes to the world collector programme now up to release 10.1 unfortunately only on the MAC (Windows To Follow).

If you have a MAC I can provide a link here to download the MAC version to try it out.

The latest is that Iceland and Sweden are now up to 2019 with Mini Sheets and there is now over 394,000 items in the database.

If anyone can test the latest on a MAC, no computer experience required, again I will post the link here.

Kind Regards

CD

Penguin644

Post by Penguin644 »

Thanks for responding collectordave. I have downloaded the win64 version and will try it out. Cheers.

scmrak

Post by scmrak »

I downloaded the Win64 executable and extracted it, which took several minutes to download all the files. Once that was done, the program automatically opened. I played around for a while and went off to do something else.

Now that I've closed it, I can no longer find the program or its files anywhere. No desktop icon, nothing on the taskbar, nothing on the start menu, nothing in either Program Files folder. All I can find is a cluster of empty folders in my documents folder and the downloaded compressed folder. Any idea where it's hiding?

Running Windows 10 Home...

Thanks.

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”