Show your Australia Pre-Decimal stamps on Commercial Covers

Whether we own them or not we all love LOOKING at philatelic Gems and goodies. Add your favourites today. Add your comments WHY this stamp or cover or item is superb or unusual. Or lift them from an auction site to share with other members, if that does not breach their copyright notice.

Moderators: Justin, snaws, Volunteer Moderator Team

agondocz
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!

Re: Show your Australia Pre-Decimal stamps on Commercial Cov

Post by agondocz »

Hi,
A cover addressed to Brian Reis:
The first day of use of the overprinted 2½d KGVI, reflecting the domestic rate change from 2d on 10 December 1941. A 1d blue Lady Gowrie charity label was also added to the cover.
This cover made me curious about Brian Reis. Was he a well-known collector?

Best wishes,
AndrewG

Temora22
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by Temora22 »

Andrew,

The surname "Reis" and the Albury PO Box address rang a bell for me.

I don't know anything about Brian Reis as a collector but I did come up with a little bit of general research.

It appears he was born in 1924 and joined the RAAF in 1942:

https://www.ww2roll.gov.au/Veteran.aspx?serviceId=R&veteranId=959980

He had an older brother Edward who had joined the RAAF in 1940:

https://www.ww2roll.gov.au/Veteran.aspx?serviceId=R&veteranId=1061260

Here is a cover sent by Edward from RAAF Station Amberley when he was attending No.3 Service Flying Training School there in December 1940:

Edward was killed in a flying accident in India on 27 October 1942 - two days before Brian enlisted.

Regards,

giwigip

Post by giwigip »

There is real history in Postal history...

Here is one from Cooma North NSW 21 MY 55, likely from a Snowy Mountains Scheme worker, sending 'gloves and stockings' (customs docket on back) to a Frau Scheler in Germany .
It is the remains of a 1/0½d Registered Letter - 9d Registration and 3½ Postage plus a 5/- 1949 Arms a 1951 2d and 6½ 1954 Queen, so a total postage of 6/-.... 3 x 1oz to Germany ?

DarrenK
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by DarrenK »

A cover I found going through some albums in the past few days. It has VG perfin.

I love how the letter starts: Dear Lad,

Always interested in trading German material especially post war period.

alex_c_y1977
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by alex_c_y1977 »

Good afternoon all

Just received the following ebay purchase from Germany today - happy to got it for just under A$55 including postage 8)

4d violet + 1½d brown (large multi watermark) + ½d green (single watermark), paying the 3d foreign letter rate (before 1 Jan 1922) plus 3d registration fee.

Cheers
Alex

xanthorrea
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by xanthorrea »

Alex,
A beautiful cover with nice usage of the 4d and for A$55 a real steal. Nice acquisition.
Brian
Collects India to 1947, 1911 Coronation Durbar, British Empire, worldwide postal history, Australia used on cover and anything else interesting. I'll think of something more inspiring one day.

roninrr

Post by roninrr »

A couple of less common postal usage examples paying the 6d certified mail fee:

ACSC 357

ACSC 413 (helecon paper)

The latter addressed to Frank P Smith who was a first day cover producer and colleague of John Gower.

The latest ACSC gives prices of $150 for either of these stamps as a single on cover but only $30 or $20 if combined with other stamps.

The only single stamp use for correct postal usage for these stamps that I can identify is for the Forces concessional rate from SE Asia for a ½oz airmail letter.

While these are scarce I suspect a 6d certified mail fee use is even scarcer.

Dick Roennfeldt

Didge
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by Didge »

Dick,

Both nice upgrades of the letter rate and desirable for an exhibit of the two stamps.

Tim

DarrenK

Post by DarrenK »

I've seen some Rosella covers bringing big money at some auctions so I'm curious if this has any value.

Obviously it has been stored folded.

Thanks in advance.
Always interested in trading German material especially post war period.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

DarrenK wrote:I've seen some Rosella covers bringing big money at some auctions so I'm curious if this has any value.
Why the big bucks for Rosella advertising covers - in one word - BIRDS!
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

Not having the Rosella on the front means it isn't worth the giant bucks unfortunately. :?

However, the factory advertising on the back is attractive, creases notwithstanding. I haven't sighted this particular Heinz cover before and it would have value to a PTPO cover collector.

Here is a Heinz PTPO cover of a different type, dated 12 March 1951, used at Port Adelaide. (Scan a bit fuzzy, sry). Not nearly as nice as yours.

alex_c_y1977

Post by alex_c_y1977 »

The only "bird" cover I have - not the Rosella one, but Arnotts advertising cover.

Cheers
Alex

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

^nice cover Alex. Although it is not a PTPO, those Arnott's advert covers are still worth a few quid.

roninrr

Post by roninrr »

Between 1929 and 1934 the London-Karachi airmail fee of 6d provided an interesting (and reasonably available) postal usage for the Kangaroo and KGV Commemoratives of that value.

Examples of a combined registration fee and foreign letter rate are not that common and I've yet to see a Scale 1 parcel rate.

What is not clear (to me) is whether a separate 3d Australian airmail fee was also payable, particularly if the letter was posted from a regional city. Some of the following examples do not include a further 3d fee and some do even if the letter was posted in Sydney or Melbourne.

1.ACSC 22

2. ACSC 136

3. ACSC 143

4. ACSC 144

5. ACSC 144(OS)

6. ACSC 150

7. ACSC 160

This last one not a 6d denomination but the 9d ram paying a combined Karachi-London and internal airmail fee (or perhaps a combined K-L fee plus a foreign letter rate with the 3d added for the Adelaide-Perth airmail fee?).

Did the sea leg Australia to Karachi leave from Sydney or Melbourne or (as per Cover 7) from Perth?

Any information would be appreciated.

Dick Roennfeldt

Joy Daschaudhuri
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Re: Perth, Australia–Chennai Seamail Route

Post by Joy Daschaudhuri »

roninrr wrote: Did the sea leg Australia to Karachi leave from Sydney or Melbourne or (as per Cover 7) from Perth?
Any information would be appreciated.

Dick Roennfeldt
The sea journey of Australian mail availing the IA's Karachi–Croydon Airmail Service during the 1929–34 period began from Perth from where the mail was sent via Orient Steam Navigation Company or Peninsular and Peninsulara and Oriental Steamship Company steamers to Fremantle/Walyallup to connect the OSNC (Orient Line)/POSNC's weekly Fremantle/Walyallup, Australia–Kolamba, Shri Lanka service. From Kolamba, mail was sent to Chennai, thence to Karachi by rail.

There was no direct seamail service from Australia to Karachi.

Rod Perry

Post by Rod Perry »

roninrr wrote:A couple of less common postal usage examples paying the 6d certified mail fee:

ACSC 357

ACSC 413 (helecon paper)

The latter addressed to Frank P Smith who was a first day cover producer and colleague of John Gower.

The latest ACSC gives prices of $150 for either of these stamps as a single on cover but only $30 or $20 if combined with other stamps.

The only single stamp use for correct postal usage for these stamps that I can identify is for the Forces concessional rate from SE Asia for a ½oz airmail letter.

While these are scarce I suspect a 6d certified mail fee use is even scarcer.

Dick Roennfeldt
Valid argument, Dick.

More than two columns required to make usage valuations closer to a perfect science, however.

I fought hard to get two columns!

Rod
Preserve DNA - retain covers intact. Scientists may be grateful!
Commercial covers represent “Stamps in Action”: Philately’s last Great Frontier

Temora22

Post by Temora22 »

roninrr wrote:Between 1929 and 1934 the London-Karachi airmail fee of 6d provided an interesting (and reasonably available) postal usage for the Kangaroo and KGV Commemoratives of that value.

Examples of a combined registration fee and foreign letter rate are not that common and I've yet to see a Scale 1 parcel rate.

What is not clear (to me) is whether a separate 3d Australian airmail fee was also payable, particularly if the letter was posted from a regional city. Some of the following examples do not include a further 3d fee and some do even if the letter was posted in Sydney or Melbourne.
Dick,

Like you, I have seen covers, intended for the Karachi-London service, from the eastern States both with and without payment of a 3d fee for air service between Adelaide and Perth. The 1920s and 1930s are somewhat outside my collecting interests but I'll suggest what I think may be an explanation.

As an earlier contributor has stated, there was a weekly sailing by either P&O or OSNC from Fremantle to Colombo. There would have been a closing date in the eastern States for acceptance of ordinary mail to reach Perth in time to meet this weekly sailing.

I think it is likely that a later acceptance date (perhaps 2 or 3 days) may have applied in the eastern States if the sender paid the 3d fee for air service between Adelaide and Perth.

Only conjecture on my part and, as I said, this is outside my collecting areas. Your query has piqued my interest. I'll see what I can find out.

Regards,
Last edited by Global Administrator on 17 Jan 2020 19:46, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added pars and spacing and "air" to UNJAM it all - always a great idea on all posts on Bulletin Boards!

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

A very quick reply here.

Only 3d extra if air to Sydney or Melbourne. But it may be been open to interpretation.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Temora22 wrote:
Dick,

Like you, I have seen covers, intended for the Karachi-London service, from the eastern States both with and without payment of a 3d fee for air service between Adelaide and Perth. The 1920s and 1930s are somewhat outside my collecting interests but I'll suggest what I think may be an explanation.

As an earlier contributor has stated, there was a weekly sailing by either P&O or OSNC from Fremantle to Colombo. There would have been a closing date in the eastern States for acceptance of ordinary mail to reach Perth in time to meet this weekly sailing.

I think it is likely that a later acceptance date (perhaps 2 or 3 days) may have applied in the eastern States if the sender paid the 3d fee for air service between Adelaide and Perth.

Only conjecture on my part and, as I said, this is outside my collecting areas. Your query has piqued my interest. I'll see what I can find out.

Regards,
If paid for Air SYD-PER they'd certainly need the 3d internal air surcharge I'd bet. :mrgreen:
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Not sure why this is written up as airmail Fee x 2. It is 2d domestic rate and 6d rate Perth-UK surely?

Backstamps will tell if it went air to Perth. Broken Hill to Perth by land is a lonnnnng trip!

Glen

roninrr

Post by roninrr »

Simply my notation that the K-L airmail fee is paid by a pair (x2) of ACSC 136 3d stamps.

My collection is one of postal usage(s) for each stamp rather than a broader postal history collection where you might give a fuller, more detailed description of the cover.

Dick Roennfeldt

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

^This is a really good comment. In most cases Karachi-London airmail posted at Melbourne, Sydney or in regional Australia would have been sent by rail to Perth, meaning no extra 3d fee.

If the sender was cutting it fine they could have opted for an extra 3d to get it there by air.

roninrr

Post by roninrr »

Thanks Temora22 and MJ's Pet.

I think you are on the money judging by this excerpt from a newsletter of the day.

Interesting that only cover no.7 follows the directive to be marked "by Australian and Karachi-London airmails".

The article also gives added validity to cover no.7 as it identifies the service being extended to mail for Europe, Middle East and Egypt rather than only Great Britain.

Dick Roennfeldt

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

^That seals it. Makes sense. :)

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

"The Hotel Alexander" cover above is quite a nice ad cover, even with the corner off the 3d air.

roninrr

Post by roninrr »

MJ's pet wrote:"The Hotel Alexander" cover above is quite a nice ad cover, even with the corner off the 3d air.
Presumably the sender was staying at the hotel at the time of posting the letter.

The Alexander Hotel has a chequered history undergoing several major refurbishments from the 'Art Deco' Alexander to the Savoy Plaza (known in the 60's for its show business clientele incl. Frank Sinatra and Ava Gardner although not at the same time) to its latest reincarnation as The Savoy Hotel on Little Collins. Definitely worth a visit.

As indicated in my post the cover is of interest because of the 6d franking rather than the 3d.

It is also interesting because it shows the scarcer, so-called 10½d rate which applied from the first airmail service on 16 December 1929 to 4 August 1930 when the British Empire letter rate was increased to 2d.

The letter was posted on 14 December 1929 supposedly to catch the 1st service which left Perth on 16 December although there are no backstamps to show whether it made it or not.

Cover 7 is interesting (not only due to the 1 November 1934 date) because it shows the 12d (6d + 3d + 3d) European rate which applied after 24 February 1930.

What I would like to see (and own) are examples of the 10d rate which applied for mail to Iraq, Palestine and Egypt for which the Karachi airmail fee was 4d.

Dick Roennfeldt

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

1949 £1 Arms solo cover to Israel realised $3,400
Leski Auctions, STAMPS, COINS & POSTAL HISTORY(#449), 11/12/2019 Lot 118 Realised: $2,800 + 21.45% BP = $3,400.60

AUSTRALIA - OTHER PRE-DECIMALS: 1949 (SG.224C) £1 ARMS SOLO FRANKING TIED BY C.I.C. BONEGILLA (MIGRANT RECEPTION AND TRAINING CENTRE) DATESTAMP TO 1958 (JUL. 14) REGISTERED € A.R.€ COVER (OPENED AT BASE) TO JERUSALEM. ISRAEL, CORRESPONDING REGISTRATION LABEL, JERUSALEM ARRIVAL BACKSTAMP.

A RARE SOLO FRANKING/DESTINATION FOR 2/- HALF OZ. AIRMAIL X9 + REGISTRATION (1/3D) AND A.R. FEE.

According to Leski: "the most popular lot in the sale".

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

Rod Perry wrote:Can anyone post scans of commercial postal articles bearing ... Arms £1 and £2 (rare)
http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=15712&start=450

^^ Your wish is my command.

agondocz

Post by agondocz »

Hi,

A 4d Koala, a 6d Kookaburra, and a 1/ Lyrebird paid the 1/10d airmail rate from Melbourne to St. Georges, Grenada.
The cover was mailed on 10 DEC 1949 and was backstamped in Grenada on 20 DE 49.

Best wishes,
AndrewG

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

^Nice destination :D

Temora22

Post by Temora22 »

Further to Dick Roennfeldt's scans above of covers carried on the Karachi-London air service I have unearthed this cover addressed to Switzerland but I am struggling to reconcile the 1/3d franking:

It has a Melbourne Late Fee cancellation on 17 May 1932 and, on the back, a pencil notation of receipt on 17 June 1932.

I would have thought the the correct fee should have been 1/1d (comprising 3d foreign letter + 3d air from Adelaide to Perth + 6d for Karachi air service + 1d late fee) hence an overpayment of 2d.

Any better explanation would be appreciated.

Regards,

agondocz

Post by agondocz »

Hi Temora22,

According to Breckon, the airmail rate within Australia in 1932 was 5d: 2d letter rate plus 3d airmail rate.

Perhaps the 2d letter rate accounts for the apparent overpayment of 2d.

Best wishes,
AndrewG

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

Temora22 wrote:I would have thought the correct fee should have been 1/1d (comprising 3d foreign letter + 3d air from Adelaide to Perth + 6d for Karachi air service + 1d late fee) hence an overpayment of 2d.
This sounds right to me.

(Unless the letter went by air between Melbourne and Adelaide and required an extra fee, instead of rail, which I do not think is right.)

Simple overpayments are not unusual on these early commercial airmails.

agondocz

Post by agondocz »

Hi,

A 1/7d QEII registration envelope was postmarked on 10 JE 60 and mailed from Tibooburra, NSW to Broken Hill, NSW.
The rate for a registration envelope was 2/5d in 1960. If I add 1/3d to the 2/ basic registration fee, I get 3/3d or the registration fee plus the up to £50 compensation fee. If the weight of the envelope was between 1 and 2oz, I get a postal rate of 8d (5d +3d). The total appears to be 3/11d, which is payment for registration, compensation, and postage fees. Maybe.

Best wishes,
AndrewG

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

There is certainly additional compensation paid and accounted for by the stamps - the face is endorsed "Comp 3/3" in biro.

Do you have the Compensation rates from Breckon?

agondocz

Post by agondocz »

Hi MJ's pet,

Thank you for your comments.

The compensation rates are on p. 37 of the Winter 1989 issue of The Australian Philatelist.

I will print a copy, scan, and upload an image of the table tomorrow, if needed.

Best wishes,
AndrewG

Temora22

Post by Temora22 »

MJ's pet wrote:
Temora22 wrote:I would have thought the correct fee should have been 1/1d (comprising 3d foreign letter + 3d air from Adelaide to Perth + 6d for Karachi air service + 1d late fee) hence an overpayment of 2d.
This sounds right to me.

(Unless the letter went by air between Melbourne and Adelaide and required an extra fee, instead of rail, which I do not think is right.)

Simple overpayments are not unusual on these early commercial airmails.
Thanks MJ's Pet and AndrewG for your thoughts.

Regards,

peterh
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by peterh »

I'm not sure if these are of interest. Picked up in a local stamp fair today.

Both are sent to Madame Lee Anne Charles - does anyone have any information about this addressee?

1. 2/- Flannel Flower uprating a business reply envelope for a 2/5 registered rate, January 1963 sent from Elizabeth Street Melbourne to Sydney.

2. 2/5 Banksia registered, March 1962, Traralgon to Sydney

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

peterh - that is a nice Business Reply cover. Not amazingly scarce, but a good cover, Thanks for posting. :)

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

Peterh - I haven't found any information concerning "Madame Lee Ann Charles". My first thought was that she was a businesswoman selling something like ladies' underwear through the post. Her real name is simply Lee Ann Charles, and the "Madame" added for effect. Or the whole name is an invented trading name.

Her presence at Box 1594 Sydney was probably short-lived. (Would be interesting to see what date range you have for covers addressed to her). For instance, the decade previous, Box 1594 was rented to somebody else: Moffat-Virtue Ltd, who ran a large machinery sales business.

Of interest, she was allocated Permit No.3897 at Sydney. No one has done any work AFAIK on Australia Business Reply Post permit holders.

agondocz

Post by agondocz »

Hi MJ's pet,

Richard Breckon's Compensation Fees table:
From The Australian Philatelist, Winter 1989, p. 37.

Best wishes,
AndrewG

agondocz

Post by agondocz »

Hi,

Another 1/7d registration envelope. This one is additionally franked with a 2/ Flannel Flower and a 1d QEII.
The cover was postmarked 2 JY 60 and was mailed from Tibooburra, NSW to Broken Hill, NSW.

The rate for a registration envelope was 2/5d in 1960, which included 5d for postage. If I add 1/3d to the 2/ basic registration fee, I get 3/3d or the registration fee plus the up to £50 compensation fee. If the weight of the envelope was 1oz or under, I get a postal rate of 5d. The total appears to be 3/8d, which was payment for registration, compensation, and postage fees. Maybe.

Best wishes,
AndrewG

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

Hi Andrew, regarding the rates on these covers, you have three components, but two variables are uncertain:

(a) registration rate
(b) letter rate - depends on weight
(c) compensation rate - depends on how much was paid for.

Total

The Compensation rate seems to be 3/3d on both. This makes sense as it is the maximum compensation available, and these envelopes contained bankbooks or probably money so the maximum was elected.

There might be something funny going on with the registration rate. Ordinarily, the standard registration fee would be added. However, it is possible it was included in the Compensation fee (possibly by mistake?). Or the P.O. might have assumed that by the use of the printed Registration Envelope that no extra was needed.

On the second example, posted paid was 1d + 2s + 1/7d = 3/8d. This might be broken down into Compensation Fee 3/3d + 5d (inland post to 1 oz.) = 3/8d.

On the first example, posted paid was 9d + 1/6d + 1/7d = 3/10d. This might be broken down into Compensation Fee 3/3d + 8d (inland post to 2 oz.) = 3/11d. underpaid

The problem is, even if the lowest Compensation rate was elected (2s), with the 2s Reg fee added, the rates do not work. :|

Another way of looking at it is:

(a) Registration: no extra reg fee required [see back of envelope].
(b) Compensation: the envelope includes 1/3d for basic compensation up to £5. Compensation to £50 requires 3/3d, thus an extra 2s in stamps.
(c) Inland Postage: everything over 2s is inland postage, dependent upon weight.

There may of course be other interpretations. :)

peterh

Post by peterh »

MJ's pet wrote:Peterh - I haven't found any information concerning "Madame Lee Ann Charles". My first thought was that she was a businesswoman selling something like ladies' underwear through the post. Her real name is simply Lee Ann Charles, and the "Madame" added for effect. Or the whole name is an invented trading name.

Her presence at Box 1594 Sydney was probably short-lived. (Would be interesting to see what date range you have for covers addressed to her). For instance, the decade previous, Box 1594 was rented to somebody else: Moffat-Virtue Ltd, who ran a large machinery sales business.

Of interest, she was allocated Permit No.3897 at Sydney. No one has done any work AFAIK on Australia Business Reply Post permit holders.
Thanks for looking into this. I only have these two covers so can't expand further on the date range.

pmc
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by pmc »

peterh wrote:I'm not sure if these are of interest. Picked up in a local stamp fair today.

Both are sent to Madame Lee Anne Charles - does anyone have any information about this addressee?

1. 2/- Flannel Flower uprating a business reply envelope for a 2/5 registered rate, January 1963 sent from Elizabeth Street Melbourne to Sydney.
From the October 1964 edition of the magazine, ADAM...
Regards Peter - Twitter: Peter@stampden

peterh

Post by peterh »

Thank you for tracking this down Peter.

The things that one learns from stamp collecting :shock: :lol:

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

Thanks Peter, that is great. I knew it was bras, knickers or corsets! 8) 8) :lol: :lol: :lol: :idea: :idea: :D :D

agondocz

Post by agondocz »

Hi,

A 2/ meter and a 6d Kookaburra paid the 2/6d airmail fee from Sydney to Kingston, Jamaica.
The postmark for the meter is dated 31 MAR 54. The date of the postmark on the Kookaburra stamp is indistinct.

Best wishes,
AndrewG

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

^unusual meter/stamp combo. Good destination.

Evidently stamped at the office with the meter cancellation. Lodged at Sydney GPO over the counter and found to be short-paid. 6d Kooka paid for and added (likely same day), cover good to go.

tonga2

Post by tonga2 »

I don't collect Australia, but I saw this cover the other day and thought it might be of interest

Return to “Share with others here your NICE looking stamp and cover images etc.”