Germany 2021 unique QR digital codes on stamps so BLUE ink cancels now used!

Stampboards has 1000s of regular readers who WILL take the time to help out even with the most basic question. If you are new to stamps - or taking up the hobby after a long break, there is a lot to learn. PLEASE do not be shy in asking the simplest of questions .. members here will be delighted to help you with the answers!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Kennethsequeira
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Germany 2021 unique QR digital codes on stamps so BLUE ink cancels now used!

Post by Kennethsequeira »

Starting Feb 2021, new issues of Germany will feature the matrix code on each new issue, does it mean no postmark on stamps ?

Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 10.06.51 PM.png

Wikipedia :- From February 2021, all new stamp editions will receive an individual matrix code DataMatrix code according to ISO/IEC 16022 in a dimension of 6.8 × 20.3 mm, which allows more than four billion numbers within a motif to obtain a unique individual identifier for each stamp.

On the one hand, this is intended to prevent counterfeit protection or fraudulent multiple use. Furthermore, the matrix code will also allow shipment recording and control and tracking, as well as detailed background information on the respective postage stamp.

With the introduction of the matrix code, there will only be four new formats for the design of stamps.

Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 10.05.46 PM.png

Deutsche Post : - The matrix code enables the individual, continuous traceability of the travel of letters. In this way, Deutsche Post fulfills its customers' desire for more transparency in letter dispatch.

For philatelists and interested customers, an additional benefit is that detailed background information about the respective stamp is available in the Post & DHL app of Deutsche Post via the matrix code.
Collecting Interest: Cricket; India: Flags on stamps,
Cyprus: Obligatory Refugee Fund Tax

Philexx
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!

Re: Germany 2021 Matrix code on stamps

Post by Philexx »

Apparently it does mean stamps will no longer be cancelled as it is "not necessary" allowing savings to be made. There will be a transition period where cancelling will continue so traditional stamps can be used up. I'm not sure how long this will be. It remains to be seen how many new issues come out too. Will there be a significant reduction?
Join the Stampboards Monthly Cover Exchanges

Kennethsequeira

So how to judge, whether the stamp is used or mint, checking the barcode on app :?:

Philexx

Post by Philexx »

That would appear to be the only way. Will let you know if I read/hear anything else. Strange times.

fchd

Post by fchd »

Are they gummed or self-adhesive?

AMark
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by AMark »

A few questions about the Data Matrix Code on German stamps.

Will every PO in Germany print/add the Data Matrix Code to each stamp being purchased at a post office?

OR

Will the Data Matrix Codes be added to each stamp before they reach POs around Germany?

What information will be included in the Data Matrix Code, i.e. will it contain the date and time of stamp sale, PO location, etc...?
It does pay if you are humble and kind.
Cover Exchange Celebrating 10th Anniversary in March!
February 2021 Cover Exchange Participant List ..... OR .... February 2021 Postcard Exchange Participant List

Philexx

Post by Philexx »

So it seems initially only some stamps will bear the code, with a start date of February 2021. From 2022 all stamps will bear the code. The codes are included in the stamp at the printing stage. The following is an effort by me at translating the Deutsche Post web page so may include errors.

The code will allow basic track and trace by app and details of the issue can also be called up in a mobile phone app. They say the code is used internally to automatically determine whether the franking is correct or has been used before.

The code is made up of:

1. The letters DEA, with DE for Germany and A for Deutsche Post.

2. Customer Number.

3. If purchased from a Stamp machine, the exact machine identifier number.

4. Type of stamp, so internet stamp, machine stamp, PO bought commemorative stamp etc.

5. Date first scanned in PO, printed from machine etc.

6. Product number.

7. Consignment number.

8. Antifraud elements such as a crypto string.

9. Issue date and face value.

So it seems that in 2021 only select issues have the code. From 2022 all issues will have them. There doesn't seem to be much information out there yet about impact on number of issues, how long traditional issues will still be useable etc.

AMark

Post by AMark »

George,

Thank you for the detailed information about the German Data Matrix Codes. :D

From the information provide by Deutsche Post, it looks like they will track every single stamp that is sold at any local PO or at an ATM. This is a large undertaking that will involve a lot of data coming into the central Deutsche Post location. Best of luck to Deutsche Post! :)

So, the only way for a collector to know when a cover/postcard was sent is to download an app from Deutsche Post that will tell him/her when a cover/postcard was sent?

What happens when you have an outstanding philatelic account with Deutsche Post and you use those stamps on outgoing mail at a different date?

Furthermore, you have decided to purchase a booklet or sheet of stamps from your local PO but you do not use it at the date of purchase. You decide to use those stamps (by dropping a cover into a Deutsche Post mailbox) days, and/or months after your purchase. The Data Matrix on the stamps will not have the correct mailing date because there is no postmark. Is this OK with Deutsche Post?
February 2021 Cover Exchange Participant List ..... OR .... February 2021 Postcard Exchange Participant List

RevRed+
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by RevRed+ »

Mark,
I read point 5 above to mean that the stamp would be first scanned when posted. It then is recorded in the system and if it reappears on another cover it would be rejected? I'm sure the German PO would be aware that not every stamp bought is posted straight away, if ever (collector of mint stamps?).

Red.
Red.

The Pom
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by The Pom »

RevRed+ wrote:
13 Jan 2021 09:15

Mark,
I read point 5 above to mean that the stamp would be first scanned when posted. It then is recorded in the system and if it reappears on another cover it would be rejected? I'm sure the German PO would be aware that not every stamp bought is posted straight away, if ever (collector of mint stamps?).

Red.
The way I read it (or assume the system might work):

Presumably the first scanning would be to "register" the stamp within the system as having been created/purchased.

Further scans would take place in sorting machinery, these would be kept on file, and reclassify the code/stamp from "ready to use" to "used". This could occur any length of time after purchase/first scanning.

Further scans would occur at the point of delivery for registered mail.

If someone tried to re-use it, the sorting machine would say "Hey, this one has already been seen by the sorting system".
Always on the lookout for Australian pre decimal First Day Covers.

Philexx

Post by Philexx »

If anyone wants one of the first I can do you a cover with pleasure. May not be first-day though, depends on my shifts.

DarrenK

Post by DarrenK »

I for one would love one.

Happy to send payment or reciprocate with an Australian cover or something else that suits.

I'll send my address details via board email system.

Darren
Always interested in trading German material especially post war period.

Philexx

Post by Philexx »

Very happy to send you one Darren. No need to send me anything. I'm always happy to give something back to the Stampboards family for all the Giveaways I take part in.

nigelc
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!

Post by nigelc »

Philexx wrote:
13 Jan 2021 20:34
If anyone wants one of the first I can do you a cover with pleasure. May not be first-day though, depends on my shifts.
Hello Philexx,

That's a very kind offer. :D

I would love to receive a cover with one of these new codes.
Nigel

Philexx

Post by Philexx »

That's great Nigel :D Could you send me your address please.

Clapas
GOLD Shooting Star Stampboards LEGEND!

Post by Clapas »

If possible I also subscribe George
I send you a pair of Ceres on Cover
Thank you

Thierry
I Collect : FDCs around the world and mint stamps or FDC from Greek Mythology, Writers, Poets, Native Masks. You can send to me at my address by post. Before you can write a message to: clapas at gmx dot fr

Philexx

Post by Philexx »

Very kind Thierry. I will add you to the list.

Mark, you probably know one will be going to you, and Jean and Kenneth, anyway.

Kennethsequeira

Philexx wrote:
14 Jan 2021 20:44
Very kind Thierry. I will add you to the list.

Thanks .....I am more eager to exchange with you on Jun 10th issue - Diplomatic Relations with India.... :mrgreen:

Hoping its a matrix issue

Philexx

Post by Philexx »

We can do that no problem Kenneth :D

AMark

Post by AMark »

Philexx wrote:
14 Jan 2021 20:44
Thank you so much George!

You are very kind! :D

ligneN
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by ligneN »

Blue postmarks
It has been confirmed that all postmarks (handstamps, hammer devices, rollers, old machines, "new" spray device machines) in BZ ("Briefzentrum", central handling, sorting ec. and postmarking facility) will be uniformly switch from traditional black postmark colour to blue by February 4.

It is not yet confirmed that all the counter service handstamp pads in actual p.o. or shop agencies will be changed as well by Feb. 4. But seems logical.

All mails, franked by adhesives, whether current stamps or new matrix ones, will be continued to be postmarked as before. As a service to the customers.
As to be expected, a bunch of determined digitally-minded readers (4000 whatscr*p messages to handle daily) will say - why?
With the shiny new matrix stamps, postmarks will become to-tal-ly obsolete! Why keeping Dinosaur outdated thingy?
There are still some (very few, 0.03%?) postal customers which do no fiddle around with hectic scanning any QR-code around (e.g. in supermarkets...) to establish a date of sending of mails.
But just want to continue using their eyes.

Why blue? Blue colour can be filtered out by scanning machines, while black colour makes the matrix code unreadable. Several kinds of blue postmark colours been tested by DP selected p.o. since past November.

Matrix stamps mixed info
The matrix code on commemorative stamps issued from Feb. 4 has nothing to with the registration service.

Sooner or later the validity of matrix codes on stamps will be restricted to may be 1-2 years, it is presumed.
Reason: the number of available matrix code# is not endless. Still there is no definite information to the public. May be they can be exchanged for more current ones after end of validity?

Nothing has been heard up to now of a new definitive series (or just revised design including matrix).

The background of introduction of matrix stamps is the large amount of forgeries of mint stamp imitations in high quality. Including full coil boxes of 500 or 1000 sold at ebay.de. Made in PR of China on high quality.

There are now many philatelic cassandras all claiming that any non-matrix postage stamps will become invalid apprx. next tuesday at 0:00. And they where the early bird genius to trumpet that out first!
They dont trust a word of the Ministry of Finance (which issues the stamps) or DP, which stated nothing is planned like this. Of course this is a conspiracy and totally unlogic and they now soo much better and can not be cheated by tricks ec. ad nauseam.

The same genius cassandras are also whining that this is
- end of postmarks;
- end of stamps;
- end of philately;
- SOS, sell what You can *now* and escape from the sinking ship of philately (and join the happy QR-code/barcode scanners crowd in supermarkets?).:mrgreen:

AMark

Post by AMark »

ligneN,

Thank you for that information! :D

Please keep us updated on any additional news about the data matrix codes from Deutsche Post. :D

ligneN

Post by ligneN »

AMark wrote:
18 Jan 2021 07:06
ligneN,

Thank you for that information! :D

Please keep us updated on any additional news about the data matrix codes from Deutsche Post. :D
Well, if I find the time while preparing "postal black last day covers" for Feb. 3 postmarks... :D

ligneN

Post by ligneN »

Tt is not yet confirmed that all the counter service handstamp pads in actual p.o. or shop agencies will be changed as well by Feb. 4. But seems logical.

Update: counter service handstamps will be changed as well by Feb. 4. A respective announcement was distributed to employees in p.o. and agencies, stating that blue colour stamp pads will be distributed in time.

Philexx

Post by Philexx »

Fascinating as Spock would say. Thanks for the extra information ligneN.

ligneN

Post by ligneN »

OK, the new issues for Feb. 4 were already distributed to subscribers.

The new stamp colour blue is lame, even when printed, below an example of blue FD postmarks on the first matrix stamp.

Also a stationery envelope, which will not be available at stamp FD due to "production troubles".

P.o. reported that they have received bottles of new blue ink to be applied to stamp pads.

Most say that they have fresh unused reserve pads in their vaults to be used.

Some others (particular agencies in shops ec.) stated they will simply apply the blue colour to the current pads.

Which will result in some interesting blackish-blue early period usages!

Future treasures of the "blue postmark introduction period" postal history collection.

matrix.stamp..jpg
first.matrix.stamp.first.blue(printed)marks.jpg
Attachments
matrix-envelope.jpg
Last edited by Global Administrator on 13 Feb 2021 15:54, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added pars and spacing and “air” – always a superb idea on Bulletin Boards! Use the "PREVIEW" button folks. It is there for a GOOD reason.

AMark

Post by AMark »

ligneN,

Thank you for this interesting information about the transfer from "Black" postmarks to "Navy Blue" (OR whatever the shade of black or blue this may result in) postmarks. It will be very interesting to see the early postmarks. :)

P.S. If there are any German members that would like to get these early postmarks, on covers etc., sent overseas? Please let me know, I will be able to help you. :)

Philexx

Post by Philexx »

I will send one for you to send back to me please Mark :D

By the way, I talked to my local PO yesterday about the new stamps and they seemed surprised one is out in February already. I also asked about the new blue canceller and they knew nothing about it :shock:

AMark

Post by AMark »

Philexx wrote:
28 Jan 2021 18:44
I will send one for you to send back to me please Mark :D
Hi George,

Not a problem! :D

If there are any other German members that would like to take advantage of this, please let me know. :D

ligneN

Post by ligneN »

DP philatelic agency sents new issues to subscribers some days before FD, so that they can prepare their own FDC. This includes FD cto items as shown.

Several p.o. staff have now confirmed that their workplace has received new ink bottles with blue colour. They will start using it February 4. Agencies in shops, which are required not to postmark received mails but to give it uncancelled to the mail centers, probably will delay in blue colour usage.

Some p.o. or sorting centres did not care of Feb. 4 starting date and already use blue colour, BZ54 is at Trier (not my items, copied from german forum). Also some evil philatelist used the matrix stamp before official date of issue, so shocking :P BZ92 is at Amberg/Bavaria.
Attachments
blue02.png
blue01.png

AMark

Post by AMark »

Hi ligneN,

Thank you so much for providing this very useful information about the blue and black ink used for canceling the stamps! :D

Please keep us updated!

Philexx

Post by Philexx »

Interesting. I pre-ordered them but they haven't turned up yet unfortunately.

ligneN

Post by ligneN »

Two more, handstamps:

Hybrid colour of blue ink on black bad = "dark violet" :)
used by a local delivery point to cancel a spanish stamp found uncancelled.

handstamp of BOGEN (Bavaria)

It takes 3-4 days until a freshly inked official pad has soaked in freshly applied colour
(not matter whether stand postal black or new blue)
Attachments
blue-black.mixed=violet.jpg
handstamp.jpg

Philexx

Post by Philexx »

I just posted covers with the new Matrix stamp on FDI to Darren, Nigel, Thierry, Kenneth, Jean and Mark (one extra for me to Mark). I hope I did not miss anyone.

I requested nice cancelling but you know thats not a very controllable thing. We will see :D

Edit: ooops, I missed Redmond. Will post one to you tomorrow, sorry.

Anyone else I missed?

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

You missed Maggie.
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !

Philexx

Post by Philexx »

Now I feel awful, first Redmond and now Maggie. Will sort some out for tomorrow. I have a strange feeling there was someone else too :?

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

Thank you very much George😊😊
Always looking for new swap partners: Swap thread (INDEX of Lots in first post)
Please visit my Colnect page for my country and thematic wish and swap lists - these are always being updated.

Clapas

Post by Clapas »

Thank you very much George
Merci beaucoup George
I Collect : FDCs around the world and mint stamps or FDC from Greek Mythology, Writers, Poets, Native Masks. You can send to me at my address by post. Before you can write a message to: clapas at gmx dot fr

DarrenK

Post by DarrenK »

Thank you very much George.

I'll post a picture on receipt.
Always interested in trading German material especially post war period.

Philexx

Post by Philexx »

Covers ready for Maggie, Red and an extra to Waffle.

ligneN

Post by ligneN »

Now saw the new colour in practice at the counter. In my p.o., it is rather darkish.
Staff said that they used brandnew stamp pads, inked them as instructed.
It seems different in other p.o., more light and greenish (turquoise) there.
Perhaps they did not shake the ink bottle enough...

Machine markings and particular inkjet markings are more light - higher ratio of water in the inking devices may be.

DP - Deutsche Post AG, german postal carrier.

About the datamatrix code.

"Individual, continuous traceability of the travel of letters".... that traceability is of course within Germany only.
Simply as postal administrations outside Germany dont use the DP matrix reading/detection software :D

When passing the postmarking/sorting lines, the code is read and checked = stamps no more good for postage.
Re. the traceability, perhaps goes up to the final foreign-mail exchange point for international mails.

DP uses "datamatrixcode".

DP info here:
https://www.deutschepost.de/de/f/frankierung/matrixcode.html
(use translate.google.com)

Free app with the usual app-stores, e.g.:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.jprior.DataMatrixScanner&hl=de&gl=US

App only reads DP datamatrixcode, not of other postal administrations.

NB: the non-matrix code stamps issued Feb. 4 are the last ones by DP without the matrix-code.

A speaker revealed that the definitive stamps (currently "flowers") will include matrix in future, too.
But had no date and no idea, whether "flowers" will be altered or a new design will come.

Waffle

Post by Waffle »

It appears they also issued a matrix type stamp in a joint issue with the Isle of Man in 2014 as a centenary of the Christmas Day Truce in 1914.

Isle of Man 2014 P.N.C. The Christmas Day Truce 1914 during WWI.
Isle of Man 2014 P.N.C. The Christmas Day Truce 1914 during WWI.
I prefer to collect UK, British Commonwealth esp Pacific area ( not excluding West Indies/Canada ) and Western Europe. At the bottom of my zone of interest is Eastern Europe and communist countries.

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

Waffle those look like personalized stamps (Briefmarke Individuell).

Jean
Always looking for new swap partners: Swap thread (INDEX of Lots in first post)
Please visit my Colnect page for my country and thematic wish and swap lists - these are always being updated.

Waffle

Post by Waffle »

They certainly have that inscription but also a matrix style,perhaps not the full matrix of later issues but matrix style nevertheless. The first incarnation that I have come across.
I prefer to collect UK, British Commonwealth esp Pacific area ( not excluding West Indies/Canada ) and Western Europe. At the bottom of my zone of interest is Eastern Europe and communist countries.

Philexx

Post by Philexx »

ligneN wrote:
06 Feb 2021 08:10
NB: the non-matrix code stamps issued Feb. 4 are the last ones by DP without the matrix-code.
Interesting, that's not what my PO said. Guess we will see next month.

nigelc

Post by nigelc »

Philexx wrote:
05 Feb 2021 00:22
I just posted covers with the new Matrix stamp on FDI to Darren, Nigel, Thierry, Kenneth, Jean and Mark (one extra for me to Mark). I hope I did not miss anyone.

I requested nice cancelling but you know thats not a very controllable thing. We will see :D
Hello George,

The cover arrived here safely just now. :)

It has two clean cancellations: BIELEFELD-STADTMITTE (in black) and a machine BRIEFZENTRUM 32 (in blue).

I'll post a scan when I get my scanner working again!

Thanks very much indeed! :D
Nigel

Philexx

Post by Philexx »

Brilliant Nigel :D

Philexx

Post by Philexx »

This is the one I sent locally to myself:

IMG.jpg

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Interesting the suggestion that this might lead to a limited time validity for these stamps. Of course this was the case in the GDR until 1963 the FRG until 1969!

Will customers have to scan their stamps to see if still valid?

ligneN

Post by ligneN »

Philexx wrote:
07 Feb 2021 00:39
ligneN wrote:
06 Feb 2021 08:10
Interesting, that's not what my PO said. Guess we will see next month.
Yes, thats what was published in December2020.

But by Jan. 5, this was reversed. The stocklist* of DP 1/21 shows the new stamps for March 1st *with* matrix code. Earlier press announcements in December still had pics of them w/o matrix code.

The very first post of this thread already shows the March 1st issues pictured with matrix. ;)

*Stocklist:

https://images.shop.deutschepost.de/MEDIA/PROD_ProductCatalo ... l_2021.pdf
Last edited by ligneN on 08 Feb 2021 12:34, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “NO question is too basic or silly - you ask - we WILL help you with it!”