Where do you get FREE stamps?

Stampboards has 1000s of regular readers who WILL take the time to help out even with the most basic question. If you are new to stamps - or taking up the hobby after a long break, there is a lot to learn. PLEASE do not be shy in asking the simplest of questions .. members here will be delighted to help you with the answers!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

guilloutran
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by guilloutran »

Cheers!

As the result of COVID, I been collecting stamps because it's quite educational and interesting! But I don't really know how to expand my collections as the fact that I don't have money to buy stamps as an undergrad!

I wondering what's some ways you could have stamps for free as a new collector?

Thanks,
Nghia
Send me your duplicate :D.
Open for swap ;)

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: Where do you get FREE stamps?

Post by Global Administrator »

From the same place as you get FREE MONEY I guess.

Any suggestions you can share?

OR you can become a useful member here of this COMMUNITY, make a few useful posts before begging for freebies, get known, and you might get lucky. :!: :!: :!:

Sound like a plan?

Glen
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

lesbootman
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Post by lesbootman »

You can get to look at some for free here:

https://rmspecialstamps.com/collections/architects-of-the-air/
Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind!

guilloutran

Post by guilloutran »

That's great! I guess I'll be more active and see where I stand!
Open for swap ;)

steevh
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by steevh »

You could become president.

It worked for Roosevelt -- he was then able to order everyone in the government to save the stamps from the mail for him.
Plus other world leaders heard he collected stamps, and they would give him free stamps as a gift.

Or become a king. Various kings were able to get copies of all new stamps issued by their countries -- eg UK's George V -- and also used some of the same tricks as Roosevelt.

As you're a student, maybe ask fellow students.

figmente
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by figmente »

Traditionally they would be received on mail, but they tend to be rather sparse there now.

AMark
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by AMark »

Hi Nghia,
Sorry, but there is no easy answer to your question.

One way that you can obtain free stamps is by asking your family and friends to save their incoming mail. If your family and friends agree to keep their mail for you. Please do not soak every stamp that you will get on covers, postcards and/or on pieces. Post a question on the board whether you should soak the stamps off of a given item.
It does pay if you are humble and kind.
Cover Exchange Celebrating 10th Anniversary!
April 2021 Cover Exchange Participant List ..... OR .... April 2021 Postcard Exchange Participant List

ebay

Post by ebay »

There are threads on here where members are giving away FREE stamps.
Or thats what i thinks happening !!! :?

And i am sure there are competitions and you can win stamps, you'd have to look into it as i might be wrong.
but i'm sure there are " give aways " ect on here somewhere.
My mission: To get one decent example of every single Queen Victoria stamp. ( minus a few impossible to get. )

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

ebay wrote:
22 Jan 2021 06:04
There are threads on here where members are giving away FREE stamps.
Or thats what i thinks happening !!! :?

And i am sure there are competitions and you can win stamps, you'd have to look into it as i might be wrong.
but i'm sure there are " give aways " ect on here somewhere.
Just make sure that you qualify. There are often requirements of having been certain number of days member and/or having made certain amount of posts. There may be some other conditions, too, but yes, there are free stamps given away on Stampboards.

Stapper
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by Stapper »

When I was working on a contract (I'm IT consultant) from our company instead of at our client, the office secretaries where s kind to keep the envelopes with stamps and prints for me (except if the envelope was needed for a legal reason). That was a good time as i work for an Indian company with post coming in from over the world 8-) . So, try to become friendly with the office people at your campus, perhaps they will do the same.

scrute

Post by scrute »

Nghia

After a lifetime of collecting First Day Covers, Covid has opened my eyes to the wider world of philately. For example, Canada stamper has pointed out the interesting postmarks that Australia Post has had during the last year.

https://stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?p=6859334#p6859334

Keep your eyes open. Search on this board and you will find something that interests you that is inexpensive to collect. Remember it is a collection and you are not in it (entirely) for investment purposes.

I have found any nearby businesses; friends and nieghbours and colleagues are all good sources of material.

guilloutran

Post by guilloutran »

Thanks everyone for pointing out that there’s no way to get stuff for free. I’ll try to look around friends and family and see if I am lucky!

Have a wonderful day!

Nghia
Open for swap ;)

Hermes61
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by Hermes61 »

If you are a university student you can ask to post an ad at the mail sorting centre (where students collect their mail/parcels on campus) asking for stamps. Usually there is a box to collect stamps for charity, but if there is none at your university other students might contact you and give you the stamps that they would otherwise throw away.

In the same way, you can ask people at the administration and library if you know them well enough to save stamps/envelopes from their incoming mail. Universities still get a lot of regular mail (applications, books, invoices, etc).

There are many people who rather donate than throw away things, so you might have a few coming your way.

Brit-Col

Post by Brit-Col »

Investigate local stamp shows in your area.

Oftentimes these shows, particularly the larger ones, will feature a beginner collectors’ area at which not only free or very inexpensively priced stamps will be available but also often old catalogues and other stamp-related material.

This is material that is being given away by dealers and longer term collectors so do not expect to find anything of much value, but it is a source of “starter” stuff.

Secondly, if you can find a local club join it. Most clubs have very nominal membership dues, $10-$12 dollars is typical. Older members are usually very happy to assist young beginners and many are quite generous about giving away duplicates.

One word of advice though, be polite, be respectful, and don’t show up with an attitude of just expecting folks to give you stuff. If they suspect you’re just trying to get free stamps to resell on eBay they won’t give you anything.

BC
Good judgment is gained from experience. Experience is gained from poor judgment.

guilloutran

Post by guilloutran »

Brit-Col wrote:
26 Feb 2021 13:17
Investigate local stamp shows in your area.

Oftentimes these shows, particularly the larger ones, will feature a beginner collectors’ area at which not only free or very inexpensively priced stamps will be available but also often old catalogues and other stamp-related material.

This is material that is being given away by dealers and longer term collectors so do not expect to find anything of much value, but it is a source of “starter” stuff.

Secondly, if you can find a local club join it. Most clubs have very nominal membership dues, $10-$12 dollars is typical. Older members are usually very happy to assist young beginners and many are quite generous about giving away duplicates.

One word of advice though, be polite, be respectful, and don’t show up with an attitude of just expecting folks to give you stuff. If they suspect you’re just trying to get free stamps to resell on eBay they won’t give you anything.

BC
I wish there is a philately club where I lived. A few months ago, I struggled to find a good pair of tweezer somewhere locally, the seller of all the shop I had been don’t even know the meaning of the world “philatélie” or the fact that you’ll need a pair of tongs to collect stamps. But it’s a good advice you have. It’s a small town where I am.
Open for swap ;)

Return to “NO question is too basic or silly - you ask - we WILL help you with it!”