Stamp issuing entities/World wide catalogs compared

There are some superb and incredibly useful reference books, and catalogues out there. And tools to measure perforations or paper thickness or LED magnifiers etc Please add your new discoveries - and recommendations to this forum. As in all forums, you can post photos of your favourites and recommendations.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

kemese1
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Stamp issuing entities/World wide catalogs compared

Post by kemese1 »

In the past few months I have been working on a list of stamp issuing entities within the scope of the four worldwide catalogs:
Michel: Deutschland-, Europa- and Überseekatalog
Scott: Standard Postage Stamp Catalog
Stanley & Gibbons: Stamps of the World
Yvert & Tellier: Catalogue de Timbres-Poste

I have done this primarily to keep track of my collection. My goal is to have a number of stamps from every stamp issuing entity within the scope of the four world wide catalogs. The list allows one to indicate what one has and what's on the want list. Also one can refine the scope by indicating certain entities as out of scope.

Anyway this list provides some statistics I thought I might share.

My approach has been to start of with the countries as per the main listing in the Michel catalog. I call these 'Major entities'. Then break these down to 'Minor entities': departments, regions, cities, companies, shipping companies, airlines, armies and so on that are listed in or explicitly referred to by the above catalogs. Finally break down the 'Minor entities' to their different forms of government (principality, kingdom, republic, peoples republic and so on) and different periods in which stamps have been issued, thus arriving at 'Stamp issuing entities'.

Based on he current version of my list the stats are:

Major entity: 421
Minor entity: 2241
Stamp issuing entity: 3061

An interesting statistic may also be a breakdown of stamp issuing entities per continent:

Africa: 384
America: 565
Asia: 604
Europe: 1365
Oceania & Antarctica: 143

An extra feature I added to the list is a cross reference indicating in which of the four catalogs a stamp issuing entity is listed. This of course allows for a comparison of the four catalogs in terms of the number of stamp issuing entities listed - just listed, not referred to - by each catalog. The stats are as follows:

Michel: 2651
Scott: 2060
Stanley & Gibbons: 1692
Yvert & Tellier: 2142

These statistics could of course lead to an interesting discussion on what catalog is to be preferred by a world wide collector. Of course there are other considerations such as the language issue, listings of varieties, price and so on. Still these statistics might help to make a choice.

As I know a list like this will always be a work I progress any suggestions to improve the list are welcome.

Here's a link to the list: http://1drv.ms/1xIvRm4
Visit http://www.stampworldhistory.com/ - The historical context of stamps issued worldwide
nigelc
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!

Re: Stamp issuing entities/World wide catalogs compared

Post by nigelc »

It's an interesting task you have set yourself.

I wonder if the comparison with SG is valid as you have used their simplified catalogue, Stamps of the World, rather than their standard catalogues.
Nigel
kemese1

Post by kemese1 »

Yes, Stanley & Gibbons falls well behind the other catalogs. I guess that is a direct consequence of their policy to offer Stamps of the World as their sole offering with worldwide coverage and to make that a simplified catalog.....
Visit http://www.stampworldhistory.com/ - The historical context of stamps issued worldwide
gavin-h
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by gavin-h »

Different catalogues have different philosophies and different editorial parameters.

For example, Michel lists many of the German 1945-49 local issues (these days it makes a distinction between official and private issues but still lists both). On the other hand, Gibbons does not list any of the GB island locals or strike-post issues. Similarly the numerous Bangladeshi "Postmaster" issues aren't listed.

That would make a big difference to the number of "entities".
kemese1

Post by kemese1 »

Thanks for your entirely correct observation. The difference in numbers is almost entirely due to the different number of local and - to a much lesser extent - private issues that the catalogs have listed. I cannot do an exact calculation of he numbers, but based on an over the thumb analysis I should think that leaving local and private issues aside the catalogs pretty much level out in the number of entities listed.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

So, how did the project turn out? :mrgreen:
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!
phrag99
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Post by phrag99 »

Kemese1 has not been on the board for 5 years and another thread reports he has passed away.
Exploringstamps
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Post by Exploringstamps »

Exploringstamps

Post by Exploringstamps »

anyone here's interested here's the URL (Version 4, from 2014) to the stampworldhistory spreadsheet of stamp issuing entities.

https://bit.ly/swhenitity4 (shared by Allanswood)

Version-6.7-1 from September-2016 was the last version to be made publicly at StampWorldHistory and i am yet to get hold of it. If someone has it, kindly share.
gavin-h

Post by gavin-h »

phrag99 wrote: 06 Nov 2021 07:49 Kemese1 has not been on the board for 5 years and another thread reports he has passed away.
I've updated his profile appropriately.

RIP Kemese1
AMark
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by AMark »

This is a quote from a different stamp chat board made on December 8, 2020, about the Stamp World History site being reactivated in the future.
Dear all,

My name is Meryem van Gelder and I am one of the daughters of my late father, Gerben van Gelder, from StampWorldHistory.com. I intend to restore his website as it was his lifework in which he has put an enormous amount of effort and love. I was amazed and touched by some of the reactions I found in the stamp community and I am motivated to restore his work. It has been a while because it is an emotional job for me and my brother and sister, but I am motivated to learn about putting the website up again in the coming time. I created this account so I could come in contact with people that were readers of StampWorldHistory and may be of help. I also want to expand my knowledge about stamps in general and the history. As a to-be historian I think it is a beautiful and unique niche and I would like to learn more about it.

Wishing you all the best,
Meryem
RIP Gerben van Gelder
It does pay if you are humble and kind.
Cover Exchange Celebrating 10th Anniversary!
December 2021 Cover Exchange Participant List ..... OR .... December 2021 Postcard Exchange Participant List

Return to “Knowledge really is POWER in this hobby! Catalogues, journals and reference books.”