The Coins & Banknotes of Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia

A *LARGE* percentage of stamp collectors also collect various numismatic areas. This is YOUR little corner of the board to ask questions, seek advice, check values, and chat. Please join in!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Eli
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: Cambodia Banknotes

Post by Eli »

In year 2012, two banknotes of 50,000 Riel (P61) and 100,000 Riel (P62) were issued. I will post them when I have them.

On October 15, 2012, Norodom Sihanouk, the King-Father of Cambodia, died at age 89 in Beijing, China. Soon after, a commemorative banknote was issued:

1000 Riel - 2012 - P63:
King-Father Norodom Sihanouk, Naga dragon:

The back side depicting the swan-shaped float carrying Sihanouk's body during his funeral while passing near the Royal palace in Phnom Penh:

Eli

Post by Eli »

In 2013, another commemorative banknotes of 2000 Riel commemorating the King-Father Norodom Sihanouk was issued:

2000 Riel - 2013 - P-New:

King Norodom Sihanouk and Cambodian soldiers crossing a river during operation Samaki in 1953, an operation against the Vietminh troops in Battambang, Cambodia. The person on the right side of Sihanouk is probably Lon Nol:

Eli

Post by Eli »

Two new banknotes were issued in 2014:

100 Riel - 2014 - P-New:
King-Father Norodom Sihanouk as a young monk, Naga dragon sculpture, Buddha image:

Wat Preah Keo Morokot ("Silver Pagoda"), the temple of the Emerald Buddha. On the right, The Silver Pagoda's Emerald Buddha statue in Bûmisparshamudrâ - Buddha touches the earth with his right palm and calls it to testify for his spiritual achievements:

500 Riel - 2014 - P-New:
King Norodom Sihamoni, Naga Dragon statue:

Kizuna bridge (Cambodia-Japan Friendship bridge) across Mekong River in Kampong Cham town:

Eli

Post by Eli »

Before independence, Cambodia was part of French Indo-China colony. Several banknotes depicting Cambodian themes were issued for use in the colony.

French Indo-China - 10 cents - 1939 - P85:
Apsara is one of the celestial singers and dancers who inhabit the heaven of the god Indra, the lord of the heavens. Originally water nymphs, the Apsaras provide sensual pleasure for both gods and men. This banknote depicting dancing Apsara and a stone-relief from the Bayon temple depicting a pair of dancing Apsara:

Village Scene:

Eli

Re: Lao banknotes - Kingdom and PDR

Post by Eli »

Before independence, Laos was part of French Indo-China colony. Several banknotes depicting Lao themes were issued for use in the colony. Here is one of them, a note of one Piastre depicting Wat Xieng Thong in Luang Prabang. This banknote was issued in 1954 by the Issue Institute of the States of Cambodia, laos and Vietnam (Institut d'Émission des États du Cambodge, du Laos et du Vietnam):

King Tut
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by King Tut »

What a cool note Eli. I have never seen one of those. What I like especially is the fact that the reverse of the note has all three languages on it, with the Lao font being the largest in size! :mrgreen:
Eli

Post by Eli »

King Tut wrote:What a cool note Eli. I have never seen one of those. What I like especially is the fact that the reverse of the note has all three languages on it, with the Lao font being the largest in size! :mrgreen:
Hi King,

The "Issue Institute of the States of Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam" (Institut d'Émission des États du Cambodge, du Laos et du Vietnam) issued a set of banknotes for the colony of Indo-China. Each banknote in the set appears in three versions: the "Laos issue", "Cambodia issue" and "Vietnam issue". In each version the back design representing the province and the local language being at the top in large size. The front of the banknotes is similar in the three versions. All versions were valid in the entire colony.

Here is another example of banknote from this set. It is a banknote of 10 Piastre that was issued in three versions. the back side of the "Laos issue" note depicting Lao woman. The back side of the "Cambodia issue" note and "Vietnam issue" note depicting dancers and landscape, respectively. The front is the same in all three. Here is the "Laos issue":

The "Lao woman" design appears also on Lao banknote of 10 Kip issued in 1962 (posted earlier by King Tut). This woman is Nang Sang Vane, the second wife of the French painter and stamp and banknote designer, Marc Leguay.
Eli

Post by Eli »

Here is another banknotes issued by the Bank of Indochina, depicting view of the Angkor Wat in Angkor, Cambodia:

French Indo-China - 1 Piastre - 1945 - P76:

Eli

Post by Eli »

A new banknote of 10000 Riels was issued by Cambodia:

The front depicting King Sihamoni, Cambodia coat of arms and Naga serpent statue:

The center of the back depicting Neak Pean temple in Angkor. The statue in the right is a stone horse called Balaha, who was one of the incarnations of the Bodhisattava Lokesvara, who helped sailors escape from an island held by an ogress. The Balaha is located in the middle of the footbridge of Neak Pean:

Eli

Post by Eli »

Here is a banknote I just added to my collection;

50000 Riel - 2013 - P-61

Elephant statue near the East Mebon temple, Siem Reap:

Eli

Post by Eli »

Eli wrote:100 Riel - 1956 - P13:
The front shows traditional ceremony and the back shows stone relief of women (Apsaras?). I don't have information about these subjects and will be happy to learn more:

The design of the front of this banknote depicting the Royal Ploughing Ceremony (Pithi Chrat Preah Neanng Korl ):

The Royal Ploughing Ceremony is an ancient royal rite held in many Asian countries to mark the traditional beginning of the rice growing season. In the ceremony, two sacred oxen are hitched to a wooden plough and they plough a furrow in some ceremonial ground, while rice seed is sown by court Brahmins . After the ploughing, the oxen are offered plates of food, including rice, corn, green beans, sesame, grass, water and rice whisky. Depending on what the oxen eat, court astrologers and Brahmins make a prediction on whether the coming growing season will be bountiful or not. The ceremony is rooted in Brahman belief, and is held to ensure a good harvest.

In Cambodia  the ceremony is typically presided over by the King, or an appointee. Sometimes the King himself takes part in the ceremony and actually guides the plough behind the oxen.

King Tut

Post by King Tut »

goof wrote:Just for completeness, prior to the introduction of Banknotes the coinage in Laos -Kingdom of Luang Prabang was the the "Lat", which was an ingot made of either silver or copper commonly known as the Tiger Tongue.

These ingots are approximately 8-10cm long and 1cm wide. The one below, that I have is made of copper and weighs about 78g.

This was produced between 1707 to 1890 if the information I have is correct.

regards
Mick
Hi Mick

I've just got back from Laos and was able to pick up one of these whilst in Luangprabang for a day. If you had not put up the post I would never have known about it.

King Tut

Post by King Tut »

King Tut wrote: a 5000 kip note

ImageImage
Then a 20000 kip note
Having just come back from Laos I did manage to remember on my last day there to check the banknotes for any changes - before I gave the money away to my Lao family...

The 5000 kip was reprinted in 2003
The 20000 kip was also reprinted in 2003
Eli

Post by Eli »

10000 Riel - 2012 - P-62 - commemorative banknote issued to mark 60th anniversary birthday of King Norodom Sihamouni:

King Father Norodom Sihanouk and Queen Mother Norodom Monineath:

King Father Norodom Sihanouk, Queen Mother Norodom Monineath and King Norodom Sihamoni (right: Garuda stone sculpture):

aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

A big face value in riel -- but only about 25 USD at current exchange rates. Still a fair amount of money to the average Cambodian.
Collecting Mongolia; Thailand; Indo-China; Mourning Covers; OHMS.
Eli

Post by Eli »

Two new banknotes of 1000 and 5000 Riels was issued by Cambodia last year:

1000 Reil:
The front depicting King Norodom Sihanouk and Naga serpent statue:

Royal palace throne room and statue of Kinnari, mythical half bird half woman figure:

5000 Riel:
The front depicting King Norodom Sihanouk and Naga serpent statue:

Kampong Kdei bridge in Siemreap with Naga serpent statue and stone engraving of a chariot:

ottawasteve

Post by ottawasteve »

These are beautiful, and the history lesson is appreciated.

steve
Ghost07
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by Ghost07 »

Fantastic display and thank you for sharing. I must admit I've always been tempted to start a banknote collection and this display is further encouragement to me. Thanks again,

Mike
Eli

Post by Eli »

To commemorate the ten anniversary of the establishment of Lao PDR (December 2, 1975), Laos issued on December 2, 1985 this set of coins of 1, 5, 10, 20 and 50 Kip:

The back of the coins is the same - Lao PDR (old) coat of arms:

Eli

Post by Eli »

Many thanks, Ottawasteve and Ghost07, for your warm words. There are more Cambodian banknotes to come :)

20,000 Riel - 2017 - P-New - A commemorative banknote issued to mark the 65th anniversary birthday of King Norodom Sihamouni:

The back depicting Bantei Srei Temple, Angkor, Siem Reap:

GlenStephens
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Re: SHARE here your Cambodia currency Banknotes

Post by GlenStephens »

Nice notes!

So what kind of $US value does that one have?

Do they still have a big black market there? I remember my visits to Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam and Burma had crazy parallel markets. Burma was worst. Buying stamp to mail postcards were costing me 3c each even only a few years back there.
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!
aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

Received an auction catalogue last weekend from a fancy numismatic auctioneer in Monaco for a sale devoted to mostly gold coins of the world. A substantial number of Cambodian items.

aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

And the rest,

Even a couple medals,

Eli

Post by Eli »

The Banknotes of the Institut d'Émission des États du Cambodge, du Laos et du Vietnam – Laos issue

From the mid 19th to the mid 20th century, the French controlled the Indochina area, which included Laos. The French regime allowed Laos an internal autonomy and so the Royal family continued their rule over Laos, albeit with restricted power. During this period, from 1891 to 1952, Laos used the Indo-Chinese piastre banknotes that issued by the bank of French Indo-China for use in the entire Indo-China colony. One French Indo-china Piastre was divided to 100 cents.

In 1952, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam gained partial independence from the French colonialism. The independent states remained under “French Union”. In that year, France established the "Issue Institute of the States of Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam" (“Institut d'Émission des États du Cambodge, du Laos et du Vietnam”).

In that year, the “Institut d'Émission” issued three sets of banknotes dual denominated in Piastre and the local currency: "Laos issue" denominated in Royal Kip, "Cambodia issue" denominated in Riel and "Vietnam issue" denominated in Dong (For South Vietnam). In each version the back design represents the state and the local language being at the top in large size. The front of the banknotes is similar in the three versions. Although each set was issued for each state, all banknotes were valid in all three states.

The Lao branch of the “Institut d'Émission”, issued for Laos a set of five banknotes dual denominated in Piastre and Royal Kip replacing the old French Indochinese Piastre in values of 1(x2), 5, 10 and 100 Royal Kip which was divided to 100 Att. The back designs of these banknotes represent Laos. Here they are:

General design and King Sisavang Vong:

Indochinese view and Wat Xieng Thong, Luang Prabang:

Indochinese view and Pha That Luang, Vientiane:

General design and Lao woman:

Three women representing Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam and Lao woman in front of Phra Keo, Vientiane:

The “Institut d’Emission” banknotes were circulated in Laos until 1957, when new Lao banknotes were issued by the National Bank of Laos (Banque Nationale du Laos) and denominated in Kip only.
Eli

Post by Eli »

Glen, thanks for your warm words. Today, 1US$ equal to about 4000 Cambodian Riel, so the 20000 Riel note equal to only 5US$

Thanks, aethelwulf, for the coin catalogue. I didn't decide yet whether I want to collect Cambodian banknote.

500 Riel - 1970 - P9
Just received a relatively hard to find note of 500 Riel issued in years 1958-1970:

Apsara stone-relief from Angkor temples:

Dancers (will try to find from Khmer friends the subject of this design):

Eli

Post by Eli »

Who are you, the beautiful lady on the banknotes??

The beautiful lady appears on the back of the 100 Piastre banknote (1953) and the 100 Kip banknote (1957) is called Mrs. Kongsy Thammavongsa (ນາງກອງສີ ທຳມະວົງສາ). This photo was taken in 1952 by the photographer Maurice Bouton and was published in Sud Est Asiatique (N° 2, January 1952). Mrs. Thammavongsa was a neighbour of the Lao-French painter Marc Leguay who used her photo as a model to design the banknotes.

Marc Leguay, the Lao-French painter in his studio. Published in LIFE Magazine, November 1959:

Eli

Post by Eli »

Who are you, the beautiful lady on the banknote?

One of the best designed banknotes of the 1952 "Issue Institute of the States of Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam" (“Institut d'Émission des États du Cambodge, du Laos et du Vietnam”) is the 100 Paistre note. The front of it depicting three Indochinese women representing Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam probably designed by the artist Marc Leguay. The woman who was chosen by Leguay to represent Laos is Ms. Sivong Siackhasone, born on March 3, 1934 and passed away on October 22, 1997 at age 63, left us the most beautiful design representing Laos.

Eli

Post by Eli »

I had a nice pleasure to find the original photo of the Lao orchestra used as a model for the 5000 Kip banknote issued by the Kingdom of Laos in 1974.

The photo was taken by Maurice Bouton during the early 1950's and was published in the French article "DANSES ET CHANSONS DU PAYS LAO " PAR PIERRE NGINH & MAURICE BOUTON, in "Indochine Sud Est Asiatique" magazine 1953:

ImageImage
Eli

Post by Eli »

1 Riel - 1955 - P1

New banknote in my collection: The first banknote issued by independent Cambodia. I hope I could post more from the first set by few weeks.

Eli

Post by Eli »

5 Riel - 1955 - P2

Second new banknote in my collection from the first banknote set of independent Cambodia:

Four faces of Bodhisattva Avalokitesvara, Bayon temple, Angkor, Siem Reap

Chanchhaya Pavilion (near Royal Palace), Phnom Penh

The Chanchhaya Pavilion, also known as the "Moonlight Pavilion", dominates the facade of the Palace on Sothearos Blvd. The Pavilion serves as a venue for the Royal Dancers, as a tribune for the King to address the crowds and as a place to hold state and Royal banquets.

Eli

Post by Eli »

French Indo-China - 5 Piastre - 1936 - P55

Banknote issued in 1936 by the Indochina bank for use in French Indochina. The back of it depicting Avalokitesvara sculpture from the Bayon temple (or, maybe, the Angkor Thom temple):

Eli

Post by Eli »

French Indochina 1 Piastre banknote printed in Japan and issued in 1949. The back depicting Lao and Khmer women:

Lao Woman:

Eli

Post by Eli »

The back of the 5 Kip banknote issued in 1962 by the Kingdom of Laos depicting Royal elephant used for processions. This design is based on a photo taken by the French photographer Maurice Bouton in 1953:

Eli

Post by Eli »

Cambodia issued a new banknote of 15000 Riel to commemorate the 15th anniversary of the coronation of King Norodom Sihamouni:

On the back, the famous photo of King Sihamouni with his parents, King Father Norodom Sihanouk and Queen Mother Norodom Monineath:
It is the same photo appears on the 100,000 Riel banknote issued in January 2019 to mark the 60th anniversary birthday of King Norodom Sihamouni:
Eli wrote:Image
Nou
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

The Coins - banknotes: Indochine, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia

Post by Nou »

In 1955, the National Bank of Cambodia continued to issue new paper currency. Banknote set with 4 denominations: 1 riel, 5 riels, 10 riels and 50 riels.

C1200.jpg
C1201.jpg

* For an banknote with a denomination of 50 Riels, it is always linked with a realistic history at that time. The image of a man juice jaggery seller on the way, he is actually a farmer who won the lottery with a lot of money at that time. So his image is used as the criterion for this 50 riels denomination. This is a note that is considered rare in the world of collectors today.

C1202.jpg

- Banknote: 50 Riels 1955:
Front: The man carrying the juice jaggery
Backside: spiers in a temple
Shaded figure: head of a Buddha image
First signature: October 28, 1955
The printer factory: Banque De France
Dimensions: 146 x 92 mm.
Nou

Re: The Coins - banknotes: Indochine, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia

Post by Nou »

CAMBODIA - launches 15,000-riel banknote to celebrate 15th anniversary of King's coronation.

C1200.jpg

-King Norodom Sihamoni.

A decree on the issuance of the 15,000 riel currency was signed by Prime Minister Samdech Akel Sena Vaday Techo Hun Sen for printing and issuance in the Kingdom of Cambodia.

C1201.jpg

- CAMBODIA launches 15,000-riel banknote to celebrate 15th anniversary of King's coronation.

On the note is still a portrait of King Norodom Sihamoni on the opposite side and a photo of him taken with his parents, the late King Norodom Sihanouk and former Queen Norodom Monineath Sihanouk, on the opposite side.

C1202.jpg

- 500 riels SPECIMEN issued 2014.

On the bottom left wing is written as follows: `` Congratulations on the 15th Anniversary of the coronation of His Majesty Emperor Preah Bat Samdech Preah Boromneth NORODOM SIHAMONI '' (October 29, 2004 - October 29, 2019) true 15 year.

C1204.jpg

-10,000 riels issued 2015.

The main colors of this note are purple, lavender and blue. King Sihamoni's portrait printed on current banknotes includes the following denominations: 500 riels, 10,000 riels, 15,000 riels, and 20,000 riels.

C1203.jpg

-20,000 riels issued 2008.

C1205.jpg

-20,000 riels issued 2017.

King Norodom Sihamoni, 66, ascended the throne on October 29, 2004 after his father, the late King Norodom Sihanouk, abdicated due to health problems.

C1206.jpg
Nou

Post by Nou »

The first time, Cambodia has a currency museum called SOSORO.

C1200.jpg

SOSORO Museum is located in the center of Cambodia's capital Phnom Penh. This is a government-protected building, used to be the mansion of the town hall in 1908, Phnom Penh city in 1920, and the economic and money museum PREAH SREY IÇANAVARMAN since 2012.

C1201.jpg
C1202.jpg

The building was in very poor condition before repair and restore as the home of the SOSORO museum today. It was decided to retain all features that could be preserved for display of monetary treasures and artifacts since Funan period.

C1203.jpg
C1204.jpg

SOSORO Museum, with its modern interiors, is equipped with interactive video, games and touch screens ensuring to provide the public with entertainment and knowledge. Visitors are invited to contextualize what they have learned, help them understand the rules and mechanisms, as well as the vital importance of money in building independence and sovereignty of the country.

C1205.jpg
C1206.jpg

The museum is divided into twelve different modules. They highlight some of the fundamental facts and lessons learned from the country's economic and monetary history and focus on the strong interactions between currency, credit, growth, inflation, and more.

C1207.jpg

C1208.jpg

Visitors can explore Cambodia's 2,000 years of monetary history on their own through a large number of display cabinets and panels enhanced by multimedia presentations.

C1209.jpg
C1210.jpg
C1211.jpg
C1212.jpg
C1213.jpg
C1214.jpg

C1215.jpg

SOSORO has been designed to provide a unique insight into Cambodia's history and provide a deeper understanding of the frequent interactions between currency, economy and politics.

News and images from SOSORO
Nou

Post by Nou »

On April 30, 2013, the National Bank of Cambodia issued a new 100,000 riel note. This is the banknote commemorates the 60th anniversary of King Norodom Sihamoni's birth on May 14.

C1200.jpg

A protocol on the issuance of this new 100,000 riel banknotes was signed by Samdech Akka Moha Sena Padei Techo Hun Sen-Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Cambodia on April 30, 2013.

C1201.jpg

The 100,000 riel note is a high value best. According to the design model, the banknote displays the portraits of late King Norodom Sihanouk and Queen Norodom Monineath. On the back and a picture of the father and Mother blessings thanksgiving to the new King Norodom Sihamoni.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: Coins & Banknotes of Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia

Post by Global Administrator »

Merged three topics on the same interesting area. :)

Admin
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!
Eli

Re: The Coins & Banknotes of Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia

Post by Eli »

P50, 100000 Riel:

#50 100000 Riel 1995 A.jpg

#50 100000 Riel 1995 B.jpg
Eternal
Green Star Less Than 10 Posts Member
Green Star Less Than 10 Posts Member

Re: The Coins & Banknotes of Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia

Post by Eternal »

New design of the Laos 5,000 Kip banknote, print date 2020 but I only found one in circulation in December 2021. Frontside has the portrait of Kaysone Phomvihane who was the first leader of the Communist Lao People's Revolutionary Party from 1955 until his death in 1992.Backside shows a factory complex
The original 5,000 kip banknote was issued in 1997 and reprinted in 2003.
2020 and 2003 versions of the 5,000 kip note, frontside.
2020 and 2003 versions of the 5,000 kip note, frontside.
2020 and 2003 versions of the 5,000 kip note, backside.
2020 and 2003 versions of the 5,000 kip note, backside.

Return to “Coins, Banknotes, tokens, medals and all things NUMISMATIC!”