Question re Contact Information in User Profile

These boards are a cinch to use, but if BB's are new to you, here are a few basic tips for new users to help you settle in. How to post, edit, how to add photos or avatars etc. Who are the Board Moderators etc. Please feel free to ask questions or add suggestions yourself. Add threads here re any technical issues that might concern you.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Jeffsw3
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Question re Contact Information in User Profile

Post by Jeffsw3 »

Hello, while working on my user profile, I noticed that where you can enter in your contact information on various places like youtube and facebook seems to be somewhat outdated.

For example you have ICQ, is it even still around?.

And you have not added any of the new messengers like Discord, and Line.

Is there a reason for this?. Just curious.
** Jeff **
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: Contact Information in User Profile

Post by Global Administrator »

We are upgrading to the newest software version soon so maybe they will amend these options.

If you do not want to use them - don't. :)

Or maybe join the phpBB Tech team and convince them to write new code to have them exactly as you claim they need to be. 30 Million phpBB boards have them, and it has not caused any issues I'd suggest.

Maybe add an Avatar to your profile instead of wondering aloud why others options exist. THAT requirement still is valid for new members. :mrgreen:

Admin
norvic
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: Question re Contact Information in User Profile

Post by norvic »

It's free and it's standard software, accept it for what it is.

You can send direct messages by email to any member and you can address technical or administrative problems to the admin team by email, maybe in reply to your welcome email.

It's worked well for years and is working better than ever now.

As for Discord we have enough of that without introducing it :lol: and I've never head of that or Line.

A quick check reveals that among phpbb users opinion is divided as to whether Discord is any use, given constant development which requires matching on phpbb. As I assume it requires other parties to be involved; most of us seem to be content with what we have - no Facebook, limited WhatsApp etc, and emails here.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - Remember almost everything I picture is available, unless otherwise stated or copied from elsewhere, as I reduce a roomful of 'stuff' - just ask. GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site
Jeffsw3

Re: Question re Contact Information in User Profile

Post by Jeffsw3 »

Yep, I understand. It is real hard to include everything. Was just curious.
** Jeff **

Return to “New to Bulletin Boards? A few useful tips and technical threads. AND add your suggestions too.”