The Commonwealth period South Australia stamp ''Long Toms''

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

dwhopper
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Re: The Commonwealth Period SA Long Toms

Post by dwhopper »

Found another one on cover. SA Perfin. This one was hifding in my squared circles collection.

GlenStephens
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by GlenStephens »

I cannot recall when I last had a Federal era issued 'Long Tom' on any kind of cover.

Found this today in the absurd rubble that passes for an office. :mrgreen:

https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=3636

Double weight interstate letter.

Backstamp of 1908, so without doubt the first print, 1906, ACSC S39 $250.

No idea what they are doing with prices in the updated edition going to press soon. :mrgreen:

Missing backflap, and a trifle aged ("But show me another!") so I priced it at way under ACSC at - $A150
Downunder58
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by Downunder58 »

I found a few long toms on pieces and was wondering if they should be left on piece. Can you tell from the values attached if they represent the total postage of the item? I thought the thin/thick combination piece was interesting.

Was the circular Adelaide postmark a parcel cancel?

The thick postage 8d is the "value closer" variety which was a nice surprise.

Philip
GlenStephens

Post by GlenStephens »

Yes a common parcel cds.

NEVER soak such items. EVER.
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!
PeterS
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Post by PeterS »

A part set of the thin POSTAGE, but including the £1. Many of these have the G.P.O. ADELAIDE cancel that was applied to specimens provided to the UPU.

Peter
Hawthorn - AFL Premiers 1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015
Michael Eastick
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by Michael Eastick »

I do love the Long Toms, they have a look and style all of their own.

Here are a couple of new items about to go into stock that belong here.

Michael Eastick & Associates P/L -Suite 20-79 Mahoneys Road, Forest Hill, Vic 3131, Australia.
03 9894 8561 - http://www.michaeleastick.com
dazeyez
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by dazeyez »

Hello Everyone and hope good health and spirit :wink:

I have been off for a while but again am back with more questions or just to share the stamps I just today. Sorry while the seller posted the stamps were lightly hinged and fell off the page.. so I have scanned as it.

I bought few stamp pages from this buyer in absolute good condition (as far as I can see and some interesting stamps in single pages) I don't know where to post the victoria state stamps, will look for the threads and see where it's suitable.

Here are some South Australia Stamps. Details photos are shown below and some information would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Page photo as below

1. Thin Postage £1 with numeral cancel 1977 similar of that of Victoria, cause I think South Australia don't have postmark of numeral 1977 canceller ? Also I have attached £2 Postage & Revenue with some writings on it.

2. Postage Revenue 2/6d and 5/- Pink

Thanks and hope everyone finds it interesting. As well as any info on the Thin £1 Postage postmark cancellation of numeral 1977 would be much appreciated.
traralgon3844
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by traralgon3844 »

Another 5 Shilling.

Victorian English Mail TPO's have been described as uncommon, but you see them a lot. South Australian TPO's appear to be another matter.

My online research indicates that a cancel on cover sold for $1,150 plus add ons some time back and the cancel was described as scarce.

From the auction listing: "Presgrave at page 68 notes usage between 1908 & 1914. The facility ceased in 1917."

The question is, how scarce and what value would you put on it?

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
dazeyez

Post by dazeyez »

Hi Traralgon! Nice Cancel.

Sorry I have no idea about these cancels as well as is it common for the South Australia's stamp as mentioned earlier to be used in Victoria State?

Definitely looks like a Victoria State Numeral Cancel 1977 and also I can see part of G.P.O I think, hope someone has any suggestions or answers. :)
snaws

Post by snaws »

dazeyez wrote:Hello Everyone and hope good health and spirit :wink:

I have been off for a while but again am back with more questions or just to share the stamps I just today. Sorry while the seller posted the stamps were lightly hinged and fell off the page.. so I have scanned as it.

I bought few stamp pages from this buyer in absolute good condition (as far as I can see and some interesting stamps in single pages) I don't know where to post the victoria state stamps, will look for the threads and see where it's suitable.

Here are some South Australia Stamps. Details photos are shown below and some information would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Page photo as below

1. Thin Postage £1 with numeral cancel 1977 similar of that of Victoria, cause I think South Australia don't have postmark of numeral 1977 canceller ? Also I have attached £2 Postage & Revenue with some writings on it.

2. Postage Revenue 2/6d and 5/- Pink

Thanks and hope everyone finds it interesting. As well as any info on the Thin £1 Postage postmark cancellation of numeral 1977 would be much appreciated.
Hi dazeyez.
I think you have highlighted the wrong stamps from your page.

Do you realize that the 9d Overprinted OS (fourth stamp on top row.) And the 8d on 9d Overprinted OS ( sixth stamp on the bottom row ) are very desirable stamps.

The 9d appears unused? and depending on Watermark it appears red-purple which would make it SG 011 Mint £ 2,750.00 or used is £ 1,200.00. If it is Watermark Broad star and the colour is Purple then it is even rarer ( only 1 unused example known.) But the colour looks like SG 011 red-purple.

The 8d on 9d which looks like it may have some perf faults is SG 026 Used £ 1,700.00.

Having said that there are forged Overprints Known on these stamps so you really should have them Certified.( Just a suggestion,)

I would love to see larger scans of both if you have time to do this?

If you are already aware of this then sorry to butt in. :oops:
Regards snaws
dwhopper

Post by dwhopper »

The one pound with the 1977 cancel? I would bet that ther is a Specimen hiding beneath the heavy bar in the middle. This loooks like a real mish mash of "enhanced" stamps. Be very careful.
dazeyez

Post by dazeyez »

Hi Snaws,

Wow!! Thank you for the honest information and opinion. I bought this page just for the Thin £1 Postage Stamp and £2 Postage & Revenue Stamps.

No, it's absolutely fine, and no I never knew about the rest of the stamps. I would have sold them in one whole lot besides the £1 and £2 stamps. Pheww!!!

Thanks again.

I am just new to stamp and sometimes I tend to buy and sell and know very little and thanks to stampboards it has helped me a lot in the past and I just wanted to know.

I will be posting the big photo soon, but hmm can I dip these stamps in water for few minutes and take off from the paper I suppose.

LoL, I better be careful now. :P
dazeyez

Post by dazeyez »

dwhopper wrote:The one pound with the 1977 cancel? I would bet that ther is a Specimen hiding beneath the heavy bar in the middle. This loooks like a real mish mash of "enhanced" stamps. Be very careful.
He he thanks for making my day. You made me laugh dwhopper.. Now I can also see something. I will be posting a larger scan soon in few minutes.

Once again thanks for giving the blast with mish mash of "enhanced" stamps. LoL and thanks for the note.

I can only take 1200 dpi scan so here it comes in few minutes.
dwhopper

Post by dwhopper »

And the two pound is fiscally used with an attempt to wash off the ink, or the ink has faded. Very common on these higher values.
dazeyez

Post by dazeyez »

Hello Snaws and Dwhopper,

Thanks again for the replies and informations. Learning each day and never ends.

Please, remember I have only 1200dpi scanner and this is what I have.

Snaws in regards to the photos as requested, and hope it turns out clear. I checked for the watermark it's Star but which star I don't know.

On the 9d with O.S. first column start I can see one star.

Photo of stamp as below

The other 8d Overprint on 9d Stamp has Star too looks like bigger one. Not sure. but I can see other star part too in this stamp.

Photo as below

And Dwhopper here is the bigger scan for the mish mash Thin £1 Postage Stamp Blue.

Photo as below

Once again thanks guys :)
A Helmich

Post by A Helmich »

Dazeyez

The 1977 is a forged cancel. Underneath the cancel is the Portuguese specimen overprint "ULTRAMAR". The forger shot his own foot as they tend to be worth more than the normal UPU CTO. The £2 has a manuscript fiscal cancel.
Protect the Black Swan, hunt ducks.
Exposing forgeries.
dazeyez

Post by dazeyez »

Hello A Helmich,

Thank you. LoL! it's fun investigating stamps. That's quite fascinating for me and have always loved to do it. Hehe good eyes, I never noticed it.

Yeah I can see the U and other words when I play with photoshop. I have other 3 pages from same seller and has some interesting stamps. :) The two pages from Victoria and Another for NSW postage due . Hmmm..

But the South Australia stamps (this page) seems most interesting now.

Thanks.. hoping to see some more information. If anyone needs a bigger photos let me know or something, I will try to .
dazeyez

Post by dazeyez »

Sorry to again ask but Portuguese specimen overprint "ULTRAMAR" ? Can anyone please, explain why it was used ? Any purpose and where ?

Thanks.
A Helmich wrote:Dazeyez

The 1977 is a forged cancel. Underneath the cancel is the Portuguese specimen overprint "ULTRAMAR". The forger shot his own foot as they tend to be worth more than the normal UPU CTO. The £2 has a manuscript fiscal cancel.
dukeprince

Post by dukeprince »

[quote="dazeyez"]Hello Snaws and Dwhopper,

Thanks again for the replies and informations. Learning each day and never ends.

Please, remember I have only 1200dpi scanner and this is what I have.

Snaws in regards to the photos as requested, and hope it turns out clear. I checked for the watermark it's Star but which star I don't know.

On the 9d with O.S. first column start I can see one star.

Photo of stamp as below

The other 8d Overprint on 9d Stamp has Star too looks like bigger one. Not sure. but I can see other star part too in this stamp.

Photo as below

And Dwhopper here is the bigger scan for the mish mash Thin £1 Postage Stamp Blue.

Photo as below

Once again thanks guys

Huge CVs the two OS scanned , if genuine and sound and they look ok though the bottom one has a bite into it , what a nice pick up, now where is my luck.
Last edited by dukeprince on 29 Oct 2014 12:35, edited 2 times in total.
dazeyez

Post by dazeyez »

I suppose the 1 Pound Thin postage stamp, with which sems victoria postmark, may be I will post the thread into dome victorial numeral canceller.

There might be a possibility someome just erased it off to use it to post as I am sure 1 pound must be a heavy price to pay during those years...
so may be the canceller is genuine..
dazeyez

Post by dazeyez »

Hehe ! I have been having a good day since yesterday with all these beautoful treasures Dukeprince and believe me or not the seller has more pages from the same album of tasmania victoria and KGV heads...
I wonder if he will sell me anymore if he sees this thread :lol:

Hmm definitely I will check for the CV, but frankly I dont even own any SG harbook catalogue.. or any stamp book. But definitely experts from the stampboards has helped a lot. thanks
dazeyez

Post by dazeyez »

Dukeprince I seen recently somewhere KGV1D WITH RED emlbourne cancellation. But when I check it last night I couldnt find it .. may be I didnt put it on my watchlist. Definitely will recommend you for a mere $4 hehe in a lot...
dazeyez

Post by dazeyez »

Hello Snaws, Dwhooper and Dukeprince,

Here is the photo for the watermark of South Australia 9d O.S. Stamp and also 8d on 9d O.S. stamp.

1. scan for both the stamp watermark side by side. The one to the left with just one watermark visible is for the 9d O.S. stamp and on the right with two half start watermark is for the 8d on 9d O.S. stamp

A. SA 9d O.S. large scan as below

B. SA 8d on 9d O.S. large scan as below

hope to get some answers on what type of watermark are on these stamps.

Thanks.
snaws

Post by snaws »

Hi dazeyez.
Thankyou for providing larger scans.

The 9d is Large star Watermark, The stamp is SG 011. Does it have Gum? It appears to have some from the scan.

The 8d on 9d is Broad Star Watermark, The stamp is SG 026.

But you really do need a certificate on these, I am not absolutely certain that the OS Overprints are Genuine. South Australia is far from my comfort zone. There should be some experts on these boards who could better advise on these.

Sadly the 8d on 9d is of Space filler value only, in my opinion, Probably not worth the cost to have it certified.
Regards snaws
dazeyez

Post by dazeyez »

Hello Snaws,

Thanks again and you are right that the 9d stamp has some gum. I was careful of removing it from the hinges and glad I asked here how to remove stamps from the hinge.

8d on 9d is not in the best condition as the perf seems really badly damaged.

Can you please recommend me where I can get the certificate ? As I do need to get certificate for the 4d Victoria stamp as well I think.

How much is it going to cost to have these certificates ? Sounds expensive he he. And where and how can I get it.

Thanks.

p.s. and definitely some info on the thing 1 pound postage would be good but seems I will find the answer in the victoria postmark forum here. cheers.
wolseley16/60
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!

Post by wolseley16/60 »

Hi you lucky buggar !!! SG 011 [ 2014 ] unused £3500
SG 026 [ 2014 ] used £1900
Renniks 2012 Catalogue values are; No. 16 [ 9d OS unused ] $5750
No. 22 [ 8d on 9d used ] $4000
dazeyez

Post by dazeyez »

Hello wolseley,

I hope so. fingers crossed :)

Hi! Snaw here is the back watermark for the South Australia thin Postage One Pound Blue. The watemark shows upright as you can see I had to do some photoshop to make it visible.

I checked the watermark on the other Postage & Revenue stamps and all the watermarks are sideways and only on Thin One Pound Postage it's upright and looks like the page is the lower right as I can see the straight corners line too on watermark ?

Is it common for the watermarks to be upwards, rather than sideways on this issues ?

Thanks.
dazeyez

Post by dazeyez »

If I want certificate for these above stamps mentioned, where and how can I get it ?

Any information or suggestions please ? Wollongong and Sydney I can travel or I don't know how it works?

Thank you
snaws

Post by snaws »

dazeyez wrote:Hello wolseley,

I hope so. fingers crossed :)

Hi! Snaw here is the back watermark for the South Australia thin Postage One Pound Blue. The watemark shows upright as you can see I had to do some photoshop to make it visible.

I checked the watermark on the other Postage & Revenue stamps and all the watermarks are sideways and only on Thin One Pound Postage it's upright and looks like the page is the lower right as I can see the straight corners line too on watermark ?

Is it common for the watermarks to be upwards, rather than sideways on this issues ?

Thanks.
Hi dazeyez.

The one pound IS. As was explained by A helmich an Ultramar Overprint which has had a forged postmark covering the Ultramar.

I would consider this a being ruined and of little value. In my opinion it is not worth getting it certified.

If you want to get the South Australia 9d OS and the Victoria Error of Colour from your other thread Certified, I would suggest RPSV is the place to send them. Link below.

https://www.rpsv.org.au/expert-committee/

Certificates cost $100.00 each plus registered post both ways.

The Victoria has been confirmed by Rod Perry ( The Guru of Victoria. ) So will be good. For $100.00, A certificate will increase its value if you wanted to sell it.

Wolseley 16/60
Thanks for the revised catalogue values, I should have noted in my original post that the prices given were 2012 edition.
Regards snaws
dazeyez

Post by dazeyez »

Hi Snaws,

Thank you once again. I checked the website you mentioned and I will definitely be getting certificate for the mentioned stamps as soon will be selling them.

I have few other stamps to get certified as well. Hope I won't be just paying the certificates and then having to account the loss during the sale of stamps.

Thanks again.
Postage Dues

Post by Postage Dues »

I know Long Tom covers are scarce, here are three in an ebay lot currently for sale here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NobleSpirit-Colossal-CV-Australia-St ... Sw5cNYdcoG

The three covers are here:

John
There is never time to do it right but always time to do it twice.
CMJ
Rescued a MILLION Stampboard Images
Rescued a MILLION  Stampboard Images

Post by CMJ »

This thread has had all the photobucket images replaced and has been restored to its former glory by the volunteers working in the "Anti Ransom Forum".

Chris.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

dazeyez wrote: 29 Oct 2014 12:28
I suppose the 1 Pound Thin postage stamp, with which seems victoria postmark, maybe I will post the thread into some victorial numeral canceller.

so may be the canceller is genuine.

Long gone member Dazeyez posting history here absolutely was littered with scambay 'BARRHHGEENZ' he got stuck with, as he had far less stamp knowledge than money. :twisted:

A totally blind nun could have seen the £2 was a partially cleaned fiscal, and the absurd fake cancel on the £1 bears ZERO resemblance to any state cancel, with no bars on top! ''There is a sucker born every minute.'' :!:
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: Australia Commonwealth Period S.Aust. stamp ''Long Toms''

Post by Global Administrator »

I sold this Triple Perfin gem a while back .. now THAT was cool!

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”