GB National Savings Stamps - Anyone Have a List?

We all have and handle these from time to time. "Back of book", Revenues, "Cinderellas", duty stamps and all kinds of other stamp like labels. Discuss them all HERE!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Not Bruce
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

GB National Savings Stamps - Anyone Have a List?

Post by Not Bruce »

Here at IB Towers I have catalogues for just about everything you can imagine that has perforations:- from obscure Bristol Local Post to South American Cinderellas but the one thing I can't find is a reliable listing of GB Post Office Savings Stamps, like this one...

GB National Savings Stamps - 2/6d Prince Charles
GB National Savings Stamps - 2/6d Prince Charles

Would be really grateful if someone could enlighten me, I would also be able to update my website info (this is the page) :-

http://www.ibredguy.co.uk/main.php?g2_itemId=20449

Thank-you!
Looking for Revenues, Railways and Cinderellas? Weekly auctions on eBay with over 300 curious new lots every week...Website: http://www.ibredguy.com
norvic
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: GB Savings Stamps - Anyone Have a List?

Post by norvic »

I don't recall a ctalaogue of these but as the original material and many sheets and samples are now part of the Her Majesty's Stationey Office Collection at the British Library, next time you have the chance you could look there and make some notes. Also included are many National Insurance stamps. They were printed at the HMSO print works known as Manor Farm, located on the part of the site of the British Empire Exhibition at Wembley. Manor Farm Press was closed on 1 September 1981 owing to its heavy losses.

I handled all these at HMSO before they were transferred to the BL, and there was a lot of very interesting material there. Most of the NI stamps were perforated through the stamps instead of between them, just on trial sheets. I don't know the full extent of what is there, and you may have to contact the BL before visiting.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock before Royal Mail burn them all, singles, booklets, booklet panes, regionals - lists here: or email/DM your general needs and I'll let you know whether it's worth sending a wants list.
Not Bruce

Post by Not Bruce »

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the info... as I mentioned it's only really a chronology of the savings stamps that I'm having problems with - I might get in touch with the National Archive people, they're bound to have something!

Cheers,

Mike
Looking for Revenues, Railways and Cinderellas? Weekly auctions on eBay with over 300 curious new lots every week...Website: http://www.ibredguy.com
norvic

Post by norvic »

Yes, Kew has, according to their catalogue:

"Files concerning the issue of postage stamps for savings, of savings stamps produced by the National Savings Committee from 1918, the single stamp and stamp book used by the Post Office Savings Department, and the National Savings Committee and the Trustee Savings Banks from 1933."

So certainly before HMSO started printing at Manor Farm. I believe the design work was also done by HMSO when they were involved in the printing.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock before Royal Mail burn them all, singles, booklets, booklet panes, regionals - lists here: or email/DM your general needs and I'll let you know whether it's worth sending a wants list.
adam78

Post by adam78 »

You need to find a copy of "United Kingdom Savings Stamps, Labels and Coupons" by Lionel D. Jones, published 1977 by the Cinderella Stamp Club as Handbook 4.

125 A5 pages, covers all the National and War saving stamps, the PO Savings Bank, the Salvation Army Bank, the Birmingham Savings Bank , cards & savings booklets, forgeries etc.

I'd post a picture but Photobucket is playing up right now.

Adam
HalfpennyYellow
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by HalfpennyYellow »

Why aren't they listed in Barefoot?
Collecting worldwide revenue and postage stamps - focusing on Malta, British Commonwealth and revenues in general
nigelc
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!

Post by nigelc »

HalfpennyYellow wrote:Why aren't they listed in Barefoot?
They aren't revenue stamps.
Nigel
norvic

Post by norvic »

ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

norvic wrote: 02 Dec 2020 08:56 Simple visual listing : http://www.ibredguy.co.uk/main.php?g2_itemId=20449
Yep, that hotlink hasn't changed in 8 years, but I notice all the earlier pics seem to have vanished, giving people little clue "what's being discussed".

I'm hoping ibredguy (/ Not Bruce) can live with my small simplified composite reference thumbnail of GB Savings Stamps, so people here can see what is being discussed.

nss_small.jpg

It really is the "go to" site to find out all sorts of details about the issues, their chronology, and current market values.

One of my favourite places, for all things Fiscal / Cinderella.
Not Bruce

Post by Not Bruce »

That's okay with me - the software that runs my old website corrupted some years ago and now won't allow me to add any further images which is not great as I have lots to add.

The time involved in re-doing the whole thing would be beyond immense, so it is what it is.

As it happens there is a full listing in existence - "United Kingdom Savings Stamps, Labels & Coupons" by Lionel D Jones (Cinderella Stamp Club Handbook 4) published in 1979.
Cullen
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Post by Cullen »

Over the years I've built up a collection of the Savings Cards themselves, such as:
ns1.jpg
and
ns2a.jpg
ns2b.jpg
Is anyone aware of a catalogue or official listing of these things?

Cullen
adam78

Post by adam78 »

Try this publication
UK savings stamps catalogue
UK savings stamps catalogue
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

ViccyVFU wrote: 03 Dec 2020 03:13
norvic wrote: 02 Dec 2020 08:56 Simple visual listing : http://www.ibredguy.co.uk/main.php?g2_itemId=20449
Yep, that hotlink hasn't changed in 8 years, but I notice all the earlier pics seem to have vanished, giving people little clue "what's being discussed".

I'm hoping ibredguy (/ Not Bruce) can live with my small simplified composite reference thumbnail of GB Savings Stamps, so people here can see what is being discussed.

It really is the "go to" site to find out all sorts of details about the issues, their chronology, and current market values.

One of my favourite places, for all things Fiscal / Cinderella.

Charles and Anne seems to be the pin up kids for these - 4 of each!

Talk about sexist - he always got the high value. :)

Glen
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
Cullen

Re: GB National Savings Stamps - Anyone Have a List?

Post by Cullen »

Thanks for the suggestion, Adam.

I have a copy of that booklet. It shows cards up to the late 1930s.

During the war, National Savings produced a variety of promotional material, including some as the War Savings Campaign. For example the latter included a sheet on "Suggestions for the construction of models: How to build a model minesweeper".

The National Savings Committee even issued a comprehensive booklet on "How to make a Puppet Theatre", another on "Puppet Plays" and a third on "More Puppet Plays". Also lots of publicity handouts, etc.

Then the folded cards appeared with artwork or a photo on the front, presumably intended as gift/greetings cards for doting relatives to encourage savings. These colourful cards all have a reference number, of which I've seen from SL11 - SL607, so there are a lot.

And then there are the National Savings bookmarks, etc ................

They are all probably a bit too far off "stamps", being cinderella ephemera for cindereallas, for inclusion on this Board.

Regards
Cullen
ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

Global Administrator wrote: 08 Dec 2020 12:48
Charles and Anne seems to be the pin up kids for these - 4 of each!

Talk about sexist - he always got the high value. :)

Glen

Probably not that at all.....

He was (and still is) "first in line, to the throne".

.... unless you want to harp on about that fact, in itself, is "an outdated form of succession for the monarchy"!!

The law was changed in 2013 ....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Succession_to_the_Crown_Act_2013

(Lets not race back though history, and judge "alleged precedences" by todays standards, where they have already been been updated.... Please!)
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

ViccyVFU wrote: 09 Dec 2020 06:29
He was (and still is) "first in line, to the throne".

Hopefully his mum will outlive him, and William and Kate then get the gig instantly, luckily saving the monarchy, and keeping it relevant and sane. :lol:

Had not realised any Tête-bêche existed of these?

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/GB-REVENUES-National-Savings-TETE-BE ... 2783172609

s-l1600hh.jpg
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

If you are in to all thing National Savings, Andrew Lajer also has an interesting item currently in stock. Not as spectacular as the tete-beche, for sure, but its the unapproved designs for the preceding issue... rejected because "Prince Charles was not yet the Prince of Wales".

AGL_stock.jpg
Unapproved design of National Saving Stamp (AGL Stock)

AGL_NSS_201209.jpg
Prince Charles and Princess Anne Designs for National Savings Stamps (AGL Stock)

I can't help but feel we are getting that whole "Victoria - Edward VII - George V" timing cycle repeating itself with the current monarchy. It probably would be better if Prince Charles passed the baton, as people are still not over the whole Camilla / Diana thing, but he has been training "his whole life" for it.

(Slightly off topic, but cover makers have been planning their "transitional covers" for years, and whilst "the timing is still uncertain, the event itself is not"!!).
Not Bruce

Post by Not Bruce »

There's some interesting pricing going on here... the Tête-bêche format exists for a number of these saving stamp issues and really isn't that rare, a more realistic price would be about £30.00 rather than £255.00 but then Mark has curious pricing policies.

The unapproved block from AGL is a bit steep too but overall closer to what it should be... the stamps were never in the public domain so not sure how they got circulated, lucky it was a long time ago or the authorities would be asking questions... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Lajer has this for 150 quid -- that seems fair enough priced?

326994d.jpg
ViccyVFU wrote: 09 Dec 2020 23:10
I can't help but feel we are getting that whole "Victoria - Edward VII - George V" timing cycle repeating itself with the current monarchy. It probably would be better if Prince Charles passed the baton, as people are still not over the whole Camilla / Diana thing, but he has been training "his whole life" for it.

(Slightly off topic, but cover makers have been planning their "transitional covers" for years, and whilst "the timing is still uncertain, the event itself is not"!!).

Charles and Camilla are not far from the Edward and Wallis bag … pretty toxic to a decent slab of the public. William and Kate are not.

Whoever it is will be King of AUSTRALIA too, Lizzie is on our baknotes and coins, so unlike BREXIT we do get a tinnnnnnnnnny say in this .. and here, they are right on the nose.

Edward was in training "his whole life" for it too, but I seem to recall that did not end well! :lol:

Anyway if HM has her Mother's longevity genes, he better go back to hugging trees, and dreaming wistfully of being reincarnated as a tampon etc. :lol:
ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

This is how they were distributed to savings group secretaries (local administrators) ....

n_s_m.jpg
National Savings Movement - Booklet for Savings Group Secretaries

A little "cheque book" of five sheets (of ten stamps each)

ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

Something pretty random (in amongst an envelope of dues) ....

img228small.jpg
(What you see is "the totality of the fragment").

Doesn't look like the fee to pay "was double deficit"
....unless, of course, the item charge was actually only 3d, and "the charges" were based on that.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

3d was postage rate in 1959, but agree it looks too large for a standard letter!

Maybe the clerk was so used to taxing 6d (double deficiency) it became habit. :)
ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

Global Administrator wrote: 10 Aug 2022 03:27 3d was postage rate in 1959, but agree it looks too large for a standard letter!

Maybe the clerk was so used to taxing 6d (double deficiency) it became habit. :)

Us laggards did not adopt "Pricing in Proportion" until 21st August 2006.

It was purely by weight for letters, before that.

If this was a single page insert, like an invoice, in an A5 envelope, 3d should have covered it.

norvic

Post by norvic »

ViccyVFU wrote: 12 Aug 2022 01:24
Global Administrator wrote: 10 Aug 2022 03:27 3d was postage rate in 1959, but agree it looks too large for a standard letter!

Us laggards did not adopt "Pricing in Proportion" until 21st August 2006.

It was purely by weight for letters, before that.

If this was a single page insert, like an invoice, in an A5 envelope, 3d should have covered it.

It wouldn’t have been A5, it would be quarto :D

Return to “Cinderellas etc - all the stamps that are NOT regular postage stamp related”