Are there A5/A6 sized stamp storage cards not made of PVC?

General things you want to know. Stamps you can't identify. Catalogue values you need to establish. Advice on ANYTHING stamp related you want. SOMEONE might be able to help. You can post photos of the stamps right here to assist . NOTE: - We have a nearby Forum for basic questions from *NEW* collectors.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Elf of the Wand
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Are there A5/A6 sized stamp storage cards not made of PVC?

Post by Elf of the Wand »

Hi guys.

Been searching the web (and this site) for help in finding approval/index-cards where the foil is NOT made of PVC.

Polyester/Polystyren etc. are, in other words, what I’m looking for.

I’ve looked at Lighthouse and SAFE (/Hawid) in particular, but other brands as well. My understanding (partly based on correapondence with them) is that they are not made of polyester.. just foil, hard-foil or something similarily ambiguous.

I find frustratingly difficult to find anything but ”archival hard-foil” or similar.

Does Hagner make approval cards? 😅

Thanks!
Last edited by Global Administrator on 05 Aug 2022 14:04, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Expanded rather vague heading, to make sense to members
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: Are there A5/A6 stamp storage cards not made of PVC?

Post by Global Administrator »

We have Rule 10 here for SUPERB reasons -- EVERY new thread ****** MUST ***** have an image. Zero exceptions.

I ASSUME you mean this kind of stamp storage card?

Admin

s-l1600cc.jpg
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
Elf of the Wand

Re: Are there A5/A6 stamp storage cards not made of PVC?

Global Administrator wrote: 05 Aug 2022 14:00 We have Rule 10 here for SUPERB reasons -- EVERY new thread ****** MUST ***** have an image. Zero exceptions.

I ASSUME you mean this kind of stamp storage card?

Admin

Dear Admin,

My apologies.

That is correct.
ViccyVFU
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: Are there A5/A6 sized stamp storage cards not made of PVC?

Post by ViccyVFU »

I'm not sure if you mean PVC ... I can't recall ever seeing those, and as you note, "would be disastrous" for stamp storage.

What you are looking for is polystyrene ....

pts_stock_cards.jpg

BASF (A "raw film" manufacturer, call their variety Polystyrol)

polystyrol.jpg

And thats what Lighthouse ones (and others) are generally made of ....

poly_cards.jpg

Here are your choices from their current range ...

sizes.jpg

A5 is 148 x 210mm

A6 is 105 x 148mm

The other two sizes you see are the GB 6"x4" (158x113mm) and 5"x3" (148x85mm),
..... some people keep them with postcards!!).

Elf of the Wand

ViccyVFU wrote: 05 Aug 2022 23:39
Thanks for your input.

From Lighthouse’ catalog:
Lighthouse cat. ”Stamp accessories”
Lighthouse cat. ”Stamp accessories”
It seems to me that the foil, albeit ”rigid” and ”archival” is made of PVC?

Source: https://www.lighthouse.us/media/cms/files/stamp_catalog_2022.pdf
ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

Elf of the Wand wrote: 07 Aug 2022 05:02 It seems to me that the foil, albeit ”rigid” and ”archival” is made of PVC?

Source: https://www.lighthouse.us/media/cms/files/stamp_catalog_2022.pdf

Well, that's what it says, and the European Catalogue is exactly the same.

However, on their website, they still sell Polystyrol variants (and they are re-assuringly expensive ....)

stock_cards_2022_small.jpg
Polystyrol - A Premium Product

As I type, all three sizes were in stock, but I'm not sure if its their long term aim to continue both variants.

Never really encountered Hard-PVC before, except for plumbing pipes, where its notable difference is "less plasticisers".

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

I use literally THOUSANDS of the 148 x 85 two strip cards a year. About 5000 of them actually, 100 a week average.

I greatly dislike 3 and 4 or 5 strips, but each to their own. :D

I used to use only 'Lighthouse' as they had a solid rigid overlay, and a solid card backing, to resist bending in the mail. Perfect.

The current version 341 463 Viccy shows on image above, are totally USELESS in my view.

Way cheaper quality than they used to be, and the clear overlay is now a limp and thin substance, that leaves fingermarks every time you touch it. Looks ugly, looks cheap, even when brand new, and I hate that. Very similar to the once cheap 'Windmill' cards from Holland.

I always use quality packaging on material being mailed, cello outers on all sendings to guard against moisture in transit, mega thick think 130 GSM C6 envelopes, and superb franking and do not want to use cheap and nasty stockcards. (Which are actually not 'cheap' at all here!) :roll:

I've just ordered some Lighthouse 340 076 more costly style to see if they are noticeably better. Had absolutely no idea they even existed. :roll:

Have generally been using HAWID 2 strip cards this year. A more usual rigid type overlay, but a lot thinner than it used to be. And board is also thinner than they once were. Barely passable quality for my liking, but better than Lighthouse.

Drawback of the HAWID is that reverse is jet BLACK, not white or pale grey, and detail and cat nos and price cannot be written on them in pen or my dealer rubber stamp applied. Need to use 6B pencil which is nowhere near as useful or convenient or easy to read by anyone.

Glen
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Received a pack of Lighthouse 2 strip 334076 today, that at least resemble normal stock cards.

A RIGID Polystrol film overlay, not that ugly cling wrap type PVC that shows all fingermarks.

Cards are the same otherwise.

Put in an order for 10,000 pieces, and pray they are still making them!

Glen
Elf of the Wand

Global Administrator wrote: 07 Aug 2022 17:37 …and the clear overlay is now a limp and thin substance, that leaves fingermarks every time you touch it.

Have generally been using HAWID 2 strip cards this year. A more usual rigid type overlay, but a lot thinner than it used to be. And board is also thinner than they once were. Barely passable quality for my liking, but better than Lighthouse.
/…/
Drawback of the HAWID is that reverse is jet BLACK, not white or pale grey,
I was also shocked at how cheap the Lighthouse felt and looked, which is why I tried ”HAWID”. I agree with you on the difference between the two

However, I got mine with pale grey background (https://www.safealbum.se/hawid-a6-instickskort-100-pack.html). I guess they were bought in bulk before Hawid closed down..

Thanks for updating us on the polystyrol cards! If I understand you correctly, the overlay is like Hawid but the strips are still like the Lighthouse’? In other words, the quest for non-PVC stock/index/approval cards contine? :D

As you’ve probably guessed, I’m looking at storing parts of my collection in stock cards for the medium term.

Thanks again.

Return to “You ask the questions - SOMEONE will have the answers!”