Detailed British + UK stamp cancels and postmark database

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Xopher
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Re: Detailed British + UK stamp cancels and postmark database

Post by Xopher »

ViccyVFU wrote: 09 Aug 2022 10:05
Xopher wrote: 09 Aug 2022 09:02 I am trying to work out whether the dots and dashes around the edge form any unique identifier to the office - my first thought was Morse Code, but I can't make it fit the office name.
From the 12 o'clock position, the outer ring spells POST OFFICE in Morse Code.

Why didn't I think of that!
lesbootman
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Post by lesbootman »

Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind!
norvic
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by norvic »

lesbootman wrote: 09 Aug 2022 22:35
Royal Mail is starting its campaign to publicise the end of stamps as we know them and urging people to use them up. This has been accompanied by a press campaign which has been reflected around the country in misleading headlines and images in the country's regional newspapers and their websites:
Screenshot 2022-08-08 at 08.51.52.png
Misleading words and images from the regional press!
Misleading words and images from the regional press!
I expect this slogan to be used nationwide for long periods from now until the end of the year, interrupted by significant events, such as Christmas. This is one that we received on mail this morning, from Preston Mail Centre, 08/08/2022.
Use up your
non-barcoded stamps
by 31 January 2023
Or swap them out for
new barcoded ones
visit
royalmail.com/barcodedstamps
Here's mine from Preston, received at lunchtime.
Barcoded stamps slogan, Lancashire and South Lakes (Preston) 08/08/2022
Barcoded stamps slogan, Lancashire and South Lakes (Preston) 08/08/2022
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock before Royal Mail burn them all, singles, booklets, booklet panes, regionals - lists here: or email/DM your general needs and I'll let you know whether it's worth sending a wants list.
norvic

Post by norvic »

Xopher wrote: 09 Aug 2022 09:02 Look out for this new style Post Office counter date-stamp, the first of which came into use today at Boscombe East, BOURNEMOUTH.

You will notice that it has a three-letter month and a four-digit year, so it likely has a fairly ordinary dating system inside, just as you can buy without any surround cheaply at a stationer's.

I am trying to work out whether the dots and dashes around the edge form any unique identifier to the office - my first thought was Morse Code, but I can't make it fit the office name. It is not a symmetrical pattern, though, so maybe it is a pattern unique to this office. As it's the first office to use them, I guess we can't yet know.

Here's a picture of the old and new counter datestamps from Boscombe East, side by side. The new one (left) is shorter, but produces a larger diameter impression.
Morse Code and Self-Inking Counter Datestamps from Boscombe East, Bournemouth, with kind premission of the sub postmaster.
Morse Code and Self-Inking Counter Datestamps from Boscombe East, Bournemouth, with kind premission of the sub postmaster.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock before Royal Mail burn them all, singles, booklets, booklet panes, regionals - lists here: or email/DM your general needs and I'll let you know whether it's worth sending a wants list.
Xopher

Post by Xopher »

norvic wrote: 10 Aug 2022 04:35Here's a picture of the old and new counter datestamps from Boscombe East, side by side. The new one (left) is shorter, but produces a larger diameter impression.
I saw Adam this morning when I visited the office to obtain some impressions from the new date-stamp.

I am very surprised that he has allowed the spelling-error one ('BOURNMOUTH') to be photographed alongside it, though. I know he spotted the mistake a few years ago and withdrew one of them from use before it had started. I didn't realise another had survived!
norvic

Post by norvic »

Given the current date I would say that it’s still in use. Needs must I suppose, it does the job.
OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Re. "Morse Code" cancel- surely it must be significant otherwise why not just revert to the solid circle? I must say I personally never much liked the post office counter cancels previously used so this is an improvement!

Amazing that they used to change the time during the day as well as the date!

Here is one I have shown previously from Callander, Perthshire, which may have been cancelled by my late father-in-law who was helping out in the P.O. A great honour apparently!

Xopher

Post by Xopher »

OldDuffer1 wrote: 10 Aug 2022 20:39Amazing that they used to change the time during the day as well as the date!
Indeed. But it is worth noting that that was a sorting office function, and the date-stamps used on post office counters could not accommodate clock time. (And hence, the clock time cancels are from post towns, and certain larger subsidiary non-post-towns.)

These two date-stamps are from East Kilbride, GLASGOW (cast in 1938) and MORECAMBE (cast in 1936).
20220810_131205.jpg
If we unclip the heads and turn them over, we can easily see that the East Kilbride one has a long slot, to accommodate the time. (Digressing, we can also see the manufacture dates, 10 36 and 7 38, stamped into the back of the dies.)

Although Morecambe was/is, of course, a post town and would have sorted mail, this device must have been used on the post office counter¹, because it has space only for the 'code' (where a letter plug or sometimes a * can be placed).
20220810_132934.jpg
The plugs for the time are not interchangeable with the date plugs, because each digit on the clock time is furnished with the dot. You can see that here:

The time comprises the numbers 1. to 12. (I've used a sample 6 and 11 here); then the quarter-hours (— for the hour, then the 15, 30 and 45) and finally the AM and PM.

On the right of this picture, I've included a 'date' 6 and 11 to show the difference in width. (A 'date' 6 is interchangeable with a 9 but, because of the dot, the time '6' isn't.)

They are quite fiddly and I found it difficult to get the "6." to balance upright on a piece of kitchen towel²!
20220810_131103.jpg
One gets the impression that staff were fiddling about changing the clock time every 15 minutes, but in reality, this is not of course what happened. The time would be set when each delivery came in, I expect, so you will not see every 15 minute impressions from any single date!

¹ However, I do have an old PO Savings Bank book with an entry at TINTAGEL, Cornwall, with clock time in use. But this is very nonstandard and I expect, because Tintagel is a small post town area, that the sorting and post office were in the same place and the wrong date-stamp was picked up.
² The kitchen towel is also notable because it is worth considering what a potentially messy job this is – especially with the fiddly clock time.
OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

OldDuffer1 wrote: 10 Aug 2022 20:39 Re. "Morse Code" cancel- surely it must be significant otherwise why not just revert to the solid circle?
I note that this was decoded above by ViccyVFU. Dvoo wlmv!

I wonder who's idea that was? (Using Morse code).
norvic

Post by norvic »

I don’t knew the answer to that but I do know that this is a 6 week trial in selected offices (Eastcheap, London is another), and the offices are giving feedback on usability etc,

The year wheel has 4 digits so only lasts 8 or 9 years. If it was three separate wheels 20/2/2 then in theory it could keep going for many more. But in practice being a cheaper version, it will probably die long before 2028!
ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

The new cancel could technically be produced commercially, and not restricted to central stores, so the morse code round the rim is possibly "a kind of trademark".

r30_1.jpg
r30_2.jpg

Remember that nowadays, virtually everything is machine readable, but the morse code gives "good orientation" to add "location posted" detail to the 2D tracking code on the stamp. The "postal delivery associates" scan at the door will give the GPS location of delivery, so "full tracking" can be effected.

They can also switch colour of postmark overnight, or use "special inks", if they feel the need.

Whilst we only see simplified details of the post office on the example here, the stamp can be made with a couple of lines above and below the address (and delivered next day).

OldDuffer1 wrote: 11 Aug 2022 01:18 Dvoo wlmv!

gszmph

For those of you left baffled by this gobbledegook ... OldDuffer has switched to "reverse alphabet code"
(..... a known glitch, "in older models" :D )

ra_code.jpg

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Not "gobbledegook" but encoded! :D
Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

I thought it was a town in Wales. :lol: :lol:
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, lighthouses, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !
ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

Ubobo.R.O. wrote: 11 Aug 2022 20:59 I thought it was a town in Wales. :lol: :lol:

All Welsh place names can be run through Z-A encoding, to find their English equivalent.

For example
“Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch”

Translates as
“Lets see if these silly tourists really will buy any souvenirs from us”

(Editors note : NO they don't :mrgreen: )

Drifting back on topic for a second...

Xopher wrote: 10 Aug 2022 23:47
OldDuffer1 wrote: 10 Aug 2022 20:39Amazing that they used to change the time during the day as well as the date!
Indeed. But it is worth noting that that was a sorting office function, and the date-stamps used on post office counters could not accommodate clock time. (And hence, the clock time cancels are from post towns, and certain larger subsidiary non-post-towns.)

Indeed, you do tend to associate the time clock with mechanically cancelled mail,

r05cut.jpg
Machine Dies, Rotherham Mail Processing

... although they always have a manual route, for all the non standard items.

I've always thought it was a processed batch time, otherwise the pixies would be changing the dies non stop, and possibly on several machines.

"Question to the floor", then ....

"What are the closest two times (non identical, obviously) you have seen the timeline set to, for a single mail facility"? (& can you show them here, please).

ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

Xopher, saw this, and thought you, (plus others), might find it interesting ...

http://www.geograph.org.uk/article/Postal-address-history-and-photo-album/1
Postal Address History and Photo Album
Website Referenced wrote:
INTRODUCTION
This article takes a little look back at the history of postal addressing, especially the period in the 1970s when the postcodes became national. We look at post towns, postal counties and postcodes and the way these have developed.

Following this, an album displays a photograph from each current geographical postcode district.

The article ends with an alphabetical index to all current and many former post towns.

norvic

Post by norvic »

Great site, could get lost for weeks just looking at the postal information, let alone everything else.
Xopher

Post by Xopher »

ViccyVFU wrote: 12 Aug 2022 01:35

INTRODUCTION
This article takes a little look back at the history of postal addressing, especially the period in the 1970s when the postcodes became national. We look at post towns, postal counties and postcodes and the way these have developed.

Following this, an album displays a photograph from each current geographical postcode district.

The article ends with an alphabetical index to all current and many former post towns.

Thanks ... it was I who wrote it :D — I'm glad you found it interesting.

Meanwhile, this has found its way into my collection this week. Three postmarks for the price of one.

I was surprised to see the two backstamps were before and after the actual cancel. I had never realised that an office might place a backstamp before its journey to be cancelled. I've only ever seen a backstamp of the destination office.
20220811_231211-001.jpg
20220811_231222-001.jpg
This item started its life on 29 February 1864 at Auchnacraig, Isle of Mull, and travelled to Oban to be cancelled the same day with the duplex cancellation of that same day 29.2.1864.
It is then backstamped at its destination, Edinburgh, the following day, 1 March.

Here are close-ups of the two backstamps.
20220811_130144.jpg
20220811_125837.jpg
Can anyone tell me the significance of the '8 Y' on the Edinburgh cancel?
OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Nice having Feb 29th on that Leap Year!
norvic

Post by norvic »

Xopher wrote: 12 Aug 2022 09:30
ViccyVFU wrote: 12 Aug 2022 01:35

INTRODUCTION

Thanks ... it was I who wrote it :D — I'm glad you found it interesting.

Meanwhile, this has found its way into my collection this week. Three postmarks for the price of one.

I was surprised to see the two backstamps were before and after the actual cancel. I had never realised that an office might place a backstamp before its journey to be cancelled. I've only ever seen a backstamp of the destination office.

This item started its life on 29 February 1864 at Auchnacraig, Isle of Mull, and travelled to Oban to be cancelled the same day with the duplex cancellation of that same day 29.2.1864.
It is then backstamped at its destination, Edinburgh, the following day, 1 March.

Here are close-ups of the two backstamps.
ImageImage

Can anyone tell me the significance of the '8 Y' on the Edinburgh cancel?
Some offices had a date stamp but no obliterator. They recorded the date of posting on the back or front, and the stamp was cancelled at the town office.
Xopher

Post by Xopher »

OldDuffer1 wrote: 12 Aug 2022 20:53 Nice having Feb 29th on that Leap Year!
I know! My two absolute passions in my date-stamp collection are Scottish islands and the Leap Day. Seeing this come up, I nearly weed myself with excitement!

My oldest leap day mark by 108 years!
OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

I had a notion that it would be nice to collect all the Scottish numbered postmarks (say on Penny Reds)- then realised there are over 700 possibilities!
Micky
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!

Post by Micky »

A nice cover I found while googling. Addressed to a Writer named William Mawson in Thurso Scotland.

339 BN. WICK
IMG_20220816_195306.png
IMG_20220816_195328.png
IMG_20220816_195527.png
OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Micky wrote: 16 Aug 2022 21:09 A nice cover I found while googling. Addressed to a Writer named William Mawson in Thurso Scotland.

339 BN. WICK

Of course, in the Scottish legal system a "Writer" is a lawyer:

"Writers to the Signet originally acted as clerks to the courts but most members today are solicitors in private practice, mainly based in Edinburgh. "
https://blog.nls.uk/scottish-legal-professions/
honza
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by honza »

Ahoj Micky,

I suppose you know, but others may not, but 'writer' on Scottish covers does not mean a literary author. but a 'Writer to the Signet' i.e. a senior solicitor.

Cheers,

Honza
Micky

Post by Micky »

I had no idea at all OldDuffer1 and honza, it's helpful and interesting knowledge you have shared.

Cheers
JonEboy

Post by JonEboy »

I received the attached Gatwick Mail Center cancel yesterday on some inbound mail. Slogan cancel with three wavy lines.
Scan 80.jpeg
Attaching it here for the record.

Jon
Barbados, Commonwealth, France & Colonies, GB, Line Engraved, Intaglio & Recess printed stamps
http://www.barbadosstamps.co.uk
norvic

Post by norvic »

Just for the record all slogan postmarks now have three wavy lines. Only the truncated ink-jet without a slogan have only two.

Meanwhile, here's a self-inkingcounter date stamp of Staffin, Isle of Skye received last week.
Staffin Isle of Skye SID CDS 13 August 2022.
Staffin Isle of Skye SID CDS 13 August 2022.
eharper

Post by eharper »

Micky, I believe the cover you found online is addressed to William Manson Not William Mawson. Apparently Thurso was full of Manson's who apparently married other Manson's. A genealogy website noted the difficulty in figuring out the genealogy of the family because of this habit of marrying people with the same last name.
Micky

Post by Micky »

eharper wrote: 19 Aug 2022 16:35 Micky, I believe the cover you found online is addressed to William Manson Not William Mawson. Apparently Thurso was full of Manson's who apparently married other Manson's. A genealogy website noted the difficulty in figuring out the genealogy of the family because of this habit of marrying people with the same last name.
Strewth :shock: :lol: , we have a place like that called Irvinbank in North Queensland, Australia.

Thanks eharper :)
Micky

Post by Micky »

Otley
3:45pm
Jan 16
Otley
Otley
honza

Post by honza »

Ahoj Mickey!

Nice to see an older postmark being submitted again.

After being an early enthusiast for this thread, my enthusiasm waned when I saw that the submissions were no longer being added to the database.

However here are four missing postmarks that I scanned for other purposes, so I may as well include them here as well.

1 LYMM CHESHIRE double-lined circular datestamp of 3 DEC 57?
LYMM CHESHIRE double-lined circular datestamp of 3 DEC 57?
LYMM CHESHIRE double-lined circular datestamp of 3 DEC 57?
2. WALTHAM CROSS HERTS. universal wavy line machine cancellation of 18 JLY 1958
WALTHAM CROSS HERTS. universal wavy line machine cancellation of 18 JLY 1958
WALTHAM CROSS HERTS. universal wavy line machine cancellation of 18 JLY 1958

3. WYLAM NORTHUMBERLAND double-lined circular datestamp of 30 DE 57
WYLAM NORTHUMBERLAND  double-lined circular datestamp of 30 DE 57
WYLAM NORTHUMBERLAND double-lined circular datestamp of 30 DE 57

4. LICHFIELD STAFFS. universal wavy line machine cancellation of 8 APR 1958
LICHFIELD STAFFS. universal wavy line machine cancellation of 8 APR 1958
LICHFIELD STAFFS. universal wavy line machine cancellation of 8 APR 1958
Cheers,

Honza
Micky

Post by Micky »

Hi honza, there's always something magical in an old postmark :D.

Mountrath a small town in County Laois, Ireland. The town lies on the R445 midway between Dublin and Limerick
Mountrath -  Ireland
Mountrath - Ireland
Cheers
Micky
Yehoshua
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Unidentified UK Mobile Post Office cancellation

Post by Yehoshua »

This dates from 1955. Was it usual to have a mobile post office only identified as "A" ?
UK Mobile post 1955.jpg
GBCC

Re: Unidentified UK Mobile Post Office cancellation

Post by GBCC »

Yehoshua wrote: 30 Aug 2022 22:58 This dates from 1955. Was it usual to have a mobile post office only identified as "A" ?
Yehoshua
The answer is yes, and there is a good article on the British Postmark Society website, on Mobile Post Offices , link as below,
https://www.britishpostmarksociety.org.uk/mobile-post-offices
Yehoshua

Re: Unidentified UK Mobile Post Office cancellation

Post by Yehoshua »

GBCC wrote: 31 Aug 2022 02:36 Yehoshua
The answer is yes, and there is a good article on the British Postmark Society website, on Mobile Post Offices , link as below,
https://www.britishpostmarksociety.org.uk/mobile-post-offices
Thank you so much ! The link you gave brought back the time that, as a teen-ager, I went to the Royal Counties & Sussex Agricultural Show in Horsham, and must have posted that letter to myself, to get the MPO postmark !
Micky

Re: Please assist with these old Great Britain Postmarks.

Post by Micky »

Hi all, can someone assist with this Rs please, I thought it has something to do with Registration :?:
IMG_20220905_181559.png

Cheers
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Micky ... clearly you did not get a new Canon Lide scanner as a Father's Day present on the weekend?

What a blurry fuzzy scan. No need at all for that in late 2022.

Glen
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
Micky

Post by Micky »

That was for my 50th the Wife bought a Tv instead :roll:
honza

Post by honza »

Ahoj everyone!

This is a nice clear example of its type, but what is it?
GB N cancellation
GB N cancellation
If I found it off cover I might guess it was a newspaper branch cancellation.
1897 GB cover to Switzerland
1897 GB cover to Switzerland
I am now guessing it is from North London, but does anyone know its history for sure? Since 1d is a low rate for Europe, could it have been classified as printed matter and this postmark used for that classification?

Cheers,

Honza

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”