Share Your Weird Olympic "Non-Olympic" Stamps

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

vicaf60
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Re: Share Your Weird Olympic "Non-Olympic" Stamps

Post by vicaf60 »

A recent issue (December 6, 2019) from Serbia - the Servian post commemorate the victory of the their both - women's and men's - national teams in the European volleyball championships in 2019.

The stamps present group photoes of the teams - the women's celebrating their victory, and the men's on the podium:
Image Image
No wonder that both teams include Olympians and even Olympic medallists :)

Here are the lists of the players in the two squads (Olympians were in bold type, with details in the brackets):

Women: Bianka Buša (№ 1, 2016, silver), Katarina Lazović (№ 2, gold at the Olympic Youth Festival in 2015), Mina Popović (№ 5), Slađana Mirković (№ 8, the Olympic Youth Festival in 2011), Brankica Mihajlović (№ 9, 2012, 2016, silver), Maja Ognjenović (№ 10, 2012, 2016, silver), Stefana Veljković (№ 11, 2008, 2012, 2016, silver), Teodora Pušić (№ 12), Ana Bjelica (№ 13), Maja Aleksić (№ 14), Silvija Popović (№ 17, 2016, silver), Tijana Bošković (№ 18, 2016, silver), Bojana Milenković (№ 19) and Jelena Blagojević (№ 20, 2012). The head coach of the team, Zoran Terzić lead the team to silver medals in Rio de Janeiro.
Men: Aleksandar Okolić (№ 1), Uroš Kovačević (№ 2, 2012), Nemanja Petrić (№ 4), Lazar Ćirović (№ 5), Nikola Peković (№ 6), Petar Krsmanovic (№ 7), Marko Ivović (№ 8), Nikola Jovović (№ 9), Aleksandar Atanasijević (№ 14, 2012), Dražen Luburić (№ 16), Neven Majstorović (№ 17), Marko Podraščanin (№ 18, 2008, 2012), Srećko Lisinac (№ 20) and Vuk Todorović (№ 21). The head coach of the team, Slobodan Kovač (he is the last in the line on the podium) сwas and active player himself - a bronze medallist in 1996 in Atlanta and the Olympic champion in 2000 in Sydney.
The stamps were issued in a Yugoslavian format - 8 stamps and a label in the centre (3x3)
Image Image
vicaf60

Post by vicaf60 »

Another recent issue that I would include in my Olympic collection - a sheetlet from the Romanian set, "Romanian Royal Military Uniforms":
The stamp and the margin of the sheetlet present Carol II, the Romanian king in 1930-1940. He is considered to be a dictator, and was overthrown in 1940, to ne repalaced by his son, Michael I; however, it is more important for me that Carol II was the first and the longest in service President of the Romanian National Olympic Committee. He (the crown prince at the time) was first elected (is its a proper word for that time and place) in 1914, when the NOC was organized, and chaired it till 1920. Then he was re-elected in 1923 and served as the NOC President till 1940, first as the crown prince (till 1930), and then as the king.
vicaf60

Post by vicaf60 »

An absolutely unexpected find :shock:
I would have never thought at a first glance (and even at a second :wink: ) that this Canadian stamp has anything to do with the Olympic theme (even in the way i understand it) :wink:
Thanks God, there are old magazines, and one of them, the Torch Bearer (UK), contain great information.

This stamp issued in 2000 to commemorate the 25th anniversary of Petro-Canada, a Crown corporation formed in 1975 in response to the mid1970's energy crisis. It has developed into a successful business with world-class assets. The company believed (at that time, at least) that one of the proudest moments in its history was "when the company organized and sponsored the longest and coldest Torch Relay in Olympic history. More than 7000 Canadians won the honour of carrying the Olympic flame for one kilometre."

The two (not four :wink: ) people in the stamp are participants of that Olympic Torch Relay, Canadian Olympians Barbara Ann Scott-King, the Olympic champion in figure skating in 1948, and Harry Ferdinand (Ferd) Hayward, a short- and long-distance walker, who in 1952 competed with the Canadian national team at the Olympics held at Helsinki.

The stamps were issued in a booklet of 12 stamps, containing two varieties (different die cuts):
The second variety:
Another item in my want list for Canada :D That's what attracts me most of all in the hobby - constant search and finding something new and unusual in ordinary things looked through many times before.
henrik_rrb
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by henrik_rrb »

vicaf60 wrote:Another recent issue that I would include in my Olympic collection - a sheetlet from the Romanian set, "Romanian Royal Military Uniforms":
The stamp and the margin of the sheetlet present Carol II, the Romanian king in 1930-1940. He is considered to be a dictator, and was overthrown in 1940, to ne repalaced by his son, Michael I; however, it is more important for me that Carol II was the first and the longest in service President of the Romanian National Olympic Committee. He (the crown prince at the time) was first elected (is its a proper word for that time and place) in 1914, when the NOC was organized, and chaired it till 1920. Then he was re-elected in 1923 and served as the NOC President till 1940, first as the crown prince (till 1930), and then as the king.
It has nothing to do with the Olympic Games, but king Carol II was also, as far as I understand it, the person who selected the Romanian squad for the first ever World Cup in football 1930. It must have been one of his first assignment as the newly crowned king. He also negotiated with the players' companies, to make sure that they wouldn't be fired for being away in Uruguay for two months.
AMark
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by AMark »

vicaf60 wrote:The stamps were issued in a booklet of 12 stamps, containing two varieties (different die cuts):
Victor,

The above stamp was issued in a booklet of 12 stamps.
vicaf60 wrote:
This one, (inverted die cut) was only available in the October Quarterly Pack and in the 2000 Canada Annual Collection book.
vicaf60

Post by vicaf60 »

Mark, what was its format of issue?
I suppose it was sold as singles in quarterly packs and the annual collection books, right?
AMark

Post by AMark »

vicaf60 wrote:I suppose it was sold as singles in quarterly packs and the annual collection books, right?
Yes, it was only available as a single in the quarterly pack and the annual collection.
traralgon3844

Post by traralgon3844 »

vicaf60 wrote: 02 Apr 2019 06:14 Stamps from recent exchanges :)

New Zealand, 2009. Tribute to Sir Peter Blake, a New Zealander yachtsman, awarded posthumously in October 2002 with the Olympic Order.
ImageImageImageImageImage
The Imperf Sheetlet FDC for the Sir Peter Blake issue as part of an entry ticket for Blue Water Black Magic exhibition.

Peter Blake Imperf Mini Sheet_0001

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
Jennyarya2007
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by Jennyarya2007 »

This is a pretty lame one. But I will do it anyways.

THIS is a set of 4 Commemorative stamps released by India Post to celebrate the 19th Commonwealth Games held in Delhi, India.

The Stamps, from left to right, depict the Pictograms of Athletics, Badminton, Archery, and Field Hockey, all of them Olympic Sports.

Athletics, Badminton, Archery, and Field Hockey,
Athletics, Badminton, Archery, and Field Hockey,
Last edited by BigSaint on 21 Oct 2021 15:09, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Place In Line used to remove wording attachments
Jennyarya2007

Post by Jennyarya2007 »

This is a stamp from South Korea(Which I do not have in my Collection), released in 1981 Celebrating the Inauguration of President Chun Doo Hwan, who was responsible for bringing the 1988 Summer Olympics to South Korea.
2nd-Inauguration-of-president-Chun-Doo-hwan.jpg
Last edited by BigSaint on 11 Aug 2022 23:18, edited 1 time in total.
Jennyarya2007

Post by Jennyarya2007 »

This is Another Stamp that I do not have, but I will share it.
It is a 2018 Stamp released by India Post, celebrating Talimeren Ao, who captained India's Football Team at the 1948 Summer Olympics in London, United Kingdom.
Talimeren_Ao_2018_stamp_of_India.jpg
Last edited by BigSaint on 11 Aug 2022 23:19, edited 1 time in total.
Jennyarya2007

Post by Jennyarya2007 »

This is a Souvenir Sheet (which I do have), released by India Post in 2008 to Celebrate the 3rd Commonwealth Youth Games held in Pune, India. Apart from the first stamp, which displays the Mascot, the Other Three Stamps display the Sports of Wrestling, Badminton and Athletics, all of them Olympic Sports.

download (4).jpg
Last edited by BigSaint on 11 Aug 2022 23:17, edited 1 time in total.
Jennyarya2007

Post by Jennyarya2007 »

This is another stamp that I do not have, but I will share it.
This is a 1980 Stamp released by India Post, celebrating Dhyan Chand, a major member of the Indian Field Hockey Team, which won Gold in the 1928,1932 and 1936 Olympics.
Dhyan_Chand_1980_stamp_of_India.jpg
Last edited by BigSaint on 11 Aug 2022 23:17, edited 1 time in total.
vicaf60

Post by vicaf60 »

vicaf60 wrote: 09 Jan 2019 02:16 I follow the same rule for persons awarded with the Olympic Order, gold or silver, if it was awarded for other reasons than Olympic achievements. For instance, I was supprised to know that Pope John Paul II was awarded the Gold Olympic Order in 1981.
As he received the Order as the Pope, and not as a Polish person, this is the stamp I would like to see in my collection:
On a recent check of the Olympic order bearers, one more Pope appeared in the list - Pope Francis. He was awarded in 2013, so this set of 4 stamps issued in 2013 by Vatican City will joint my Olympic list:

Ватикан_2013_Понтификация папы римского Франциска_1.jpg
Ватикан_2013_Понтификация папы римского Франциска_2.jpg
Ватикан_2013_Понтификация папы римского Франциска_3.jpg
Ватикан_2013_Понтификация папы римского Франциска_4.jpg
vicaf60

Post by vicaf60 »

Jennyarya2007 wrote: 21 Oct 2021 17:54 This is a Souvenir Sheet (which I do have), released by India Post in 2008 to Celebrate the 3rd Commonwealth Youth Games held in Pune, India. Apart from the first stamp, which displays the Mascot, the Other Three Stamps display the Sports of Wrestling, Badminton and Athletics, all of them Olympic Sports.
Thanks for your interest in my thread, Jennyarya2007 :)

What concerns me, I do NOT include stamps with just Olympic sports in my collection.

As to Indian stamps, here are some more with a hidden Olympic reference:

1966. Asian Games. India winning the hockey tournament

The stamps is based on a photography and presents 3 Indian Olympic hockey players in action - Victor John Peter, Balbir Singh and Mukhbain Singh.

Индия_1966_Азиатские игры_Победа в хоккее на траве_1.jpg

1999. Arati Gupta (née Saha), the first Asian woman to swim across the English Channel on 29 September 1959

In 1952 in Helsinki, she took part in 200 metres breast stroke event

A_Индия_1999_Arati Gupta (Saha).jpg

1984. Indira Priyadarshini Gandhi

In 1983, she was awarded the Gold Olympic order

Индия_1984_Индира Ганди_1.jpg

And the most recent issue:

2018. World Cup in Hockey

The stamps issued in sheets and in a souvenir sheet are clearly made after photographs, and I suppose I have managed ro identify some of the players.

Mandeep Singh:

A_Индия_2018_Кубок мира по хоккею на траве_1_Mandeep Singh.jpg

Chinglensana Singh Kangujam:

A_Индия_2018_Кубок мира по хоккею на траве_3_Chinglensana Singh Kangujam.jpg

Dharamvir Singh:

A_Индия_2018_Кубок мира по хоккею на траве_4_Dharamvir Singh.jpg

A_Индия_2018_Кубок мира по хоккею на траве_Бл_1_Mandeep Singh.jpg
Jennyarya2007

Post by Jennyarya2007 »

I am honored. Thanks for the great information.
vicaf60

Post by vicaf60 »

By the way, a question to Stampboarders from India - who is Avinash Chandra Chatterji? I can't find any specific information on him, beside that he as awarded a Silver Olympic order in 1982 :(
Jennyarya2007

Post by Jennyarya2007 »

This is A 1998 Russia Stamp Celebrating the 1998 World Youth Games held in Moscow, Russia. It has an Olympic Connection, as the Games were Patronized by the International Olympic Committee and its Mascot was Misha, the mascot of the 1980 Summer Olympics, also held in Moscow.
World-Youth-Games-1998-Moscow.jpg
Last edited by BigSaint on 11 Aug 2022 23:16, edited 1 time in total.
Jennyarya2007

Post by Jennyarya2007 »

This is a 2011 Burundi Stamp (Which I do not have in my Collection) celebrating Samuel Eto'o, the Cameroonian Footballer who won Olympic Football Gold in 2000.
Attachments
Aug644.jpg
satsuma
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Post by satsuma »

vicaf60 wrote: 21 Oct 2021 23:04 By the way, a question to Stampboarders from India - who is Avinash Chandra Chatterji? I can't find any specific information on him, beside that he as awarded a Silver Olympic order in 1982 :(
An A.C. Chatterjee was the manager of the Indian team at the 1948 Olympics; their first participation after the partition from Pakistan.

Actually, it's a bit confusing, he may only have been manager of the hockey team, which won India's first gold medal.

Various sources are unclear about that.
vicaf60

Post by vicaf60 »

Thanks much, satsuma :D

It is at least a good starting point for further research
Jennyarya2007

Post by Jennyarya2007 »

This is a 1995 Isle of Man stamp ( Which I do not have in my collection), celebrating the 90th Anniversary of Motorsport in the Isle of Man. The image in the Stamp depicts Prince Bira (Thailand's first F1 Driver) in the ERA R2B "Romulus". The reason I am including this stamp is that he was an Olympic Sailer who competed in the 1956,1960,1964 and 1972 Olympics in Sailing.
Prince_Bira_in_the_ERA_R2B_Romulus_1937.jpg
Last edited by BigSaint on 11 Aug 2022 23:15, edited 1 time in total.
vicaf60

Post by vicaf60 »

Great find, Jennyarya2007 :D
Thanks much for the information, I didn't know it
vicaf60

Post by vicaf60 »

Another unexpected find among stamps from the Isle of Man :)

One of the stamps in the 2007 set that commemorated the 800th anniversary of the Royal Charter of Liverpool presents a statue of Noel Godfrey Chavasse, a military doctor who was awarded the Victoria Cross twice.

Besides, he was an Olympic athlete who participated in the track and field competitions at the 1908 Summer Olympics in London.

Мэн_2007_800-летие Королевской хартии Ливерпуля_1_Noel Godfrey Chavasse.jpg

Ливерпуль_Памятник Noel Godfrey Chavasse.jpg

By the way, can anybody help with the names of the other war heroes in the stamp?
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Jennyarya2007 wrote: 26 Oct 2021 18:17 This is a 1995 Isle of Man stamp ( Which I do not have in my collection), celebrating the 90th Anniversary of Motorsport in the Isle of Man. The image in the Stamp depicts Prince Bira (Thailand's first F1 Driver) in the ERA R2B "Romulus". The reason I am including this stamp is that he was an Olympic Sailer who competed in the 1956,1960,1964 and 1972 Olympics in Sailing.
Very cool story! :lol:
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
satsuma

Post by satsuma »

vicaf60 wrote: 15 Dec 2021 10:13
One of the stamps in the 2007 set that commemorated the 800th anniversary of the Royal Charter of Liverpool presents a statue of Noel Godfrey Chavasse, a military doctor who was awarded the Victoria Cross twice.

By the way, can anybody help with the names of the other war heroes in the stamp?
No, but he was one of only three men awarded the VC and bar.

The others were:
Arthur Martin-Leake, who received the VC in the second Boer war and his bar in WW1
And
Charles Upham, a kiwi, who received both his awards in WW2.
vicaf60

Post by vicaf60 »

Thanks much for the information, satsuma :)
Jontek
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by Jontek »

This year, the Polish Post issued a stamp on the occasion of the 24th Winter Olympics Games organized in Beijing. Many collectors were confused because the main motif on the stamp were traces in the snow ...
In the past, the stamps featured photos of players or images of medals.
Themes of interest - European wars and battles from the Middle Ages to the 19th century: especially the Napoleonic Wars and commemoratives of Napoleon Bonaparte, historical national heroes, european state symbols and maps. Currently also interested in postage stamps from Transnistria.
In exchange I can send you postage stamps, FDC or postcards in your subject (mainly Polish).

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”