Share your First day - NOT covers or official cards (excluding USA)

Whether we own them or not we all love LOOKING at philatelic Gems and goodies. Add your favourites today. Add your comments WHY this stamp or cover or item is superb or unusual. Or lift them from an auction site to share with other members, if that does not breach their copyright notice.

Moderators: Justin, snaws, Volunteer Moderator Team

norvic
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Share your First day - NOT covers or official cards (excluding USA)

Post by norvic »

From my teenage years I tried occasionally to fabricate a first day non-cover on the day of issue of stamps, that is, a new stamp affixed to something else that can postmarked on the day of issue.

I've just found something more recent, and that reminded me that I have some somewhere from 1967!

I'm excluding the USA from this thread because the USPS will cancel a stamp on almost anything - cola can, shoe, coconut, inflatable beach ball, if they can they will - on a hand-back basis usually, although some travel through the mail.

Some of mine went through the post before a philatelic handstamping service was available, but this is not one.

It is the 25p Bobby Moore stamp from the Euro 86 Football championship, applied to what looks like a souvenir programme but which is in fact part of Royal Mail's publicity, an 8-page leaflet. It has the Bobby Moore West Ham United handstamp.

25p Euro 96 football stamp first day of issue on publicity leaflet.
25p Euro 96 football stamp first day of issue on publicity leaflet.

What do you have?
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock before Royal Mail burn them all, singles, booklets, booklet panes, regionals - lists here: or email/DM your general needs and I'll let you know whether it's worth sending a wants list.
PetCin88
RUBY Gemstone Stampboard BARONET!

Re: First day - NOT covers or official cards (exc USA)

Post by PetCin88 »

Firstly I wish to apologise if this doesn’t qualify for your thread (I’m taking a risk in the hope it does)

Maldives First Day Of Issue 24 December 1950

Translation:

"New stamp of Maldives

14 Rabeeul Awwal 1370 AH.

This stamp was released when the first set was handed over to the president of "valee committee" Sumuwwul Ameer Ibrahim Famuladheyri Kileygefaanu, by the stamp master general of Malé Al-ameer Mohamed Ameen."
BFD9CB23-940E-4FF4-B698-1872436C2D6D.jpeg
My Maldives 🇲🇻 Collection Website:
http://www.petercin.wix.com/maldivesrufiyaa
norvic

Re: Share your First day - NOT covers or official cards (excluding USA)

Post by norvic »

No need to apologise, although it is official, it revived a thread that never really got going and which I had forgotten I started!
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock before Royal Mail burn them all, singles, booklets, booklet panes, regionals - lists here: or email/DM your general needs and I'll let you know whether it's worth sending a wants list.
PetCin88

Post by PetCin88 »

norvic wrote: 14 Aug 2022 17:19 No need to apologise, although it is official, it revived a thread that never really got going and which I had forgotten I started!
Ok thanks

This isn’t official
65005DB7-5A96-4DE5-91ED-017C46B4B06E.jpeg
norvic

Post by norvic »

Has anybody else got novelty first day items which aren’t covers, like that in the first post?

When I have time (and am home) I’ll dig out some more.
PetCin88

Post by PetCin88 »

I’m sorry to disappoint you not having what you require - hopefully one day I will

Return to “Share with others here your NICE looking stamp and cover images etc.”