GB Stamp Programme 2022 - thoughts and suggestions?

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

cwm
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Re: GB Stamp Programme 2022 - thoughts and suggestions?

Post by cwm »

I really like the miniature sheet for the Transformers issue of the Dinobots. I think having issues of cartoons I watched on TV as a kid is really cool :D ... but I'll see myself out as that isn't popular opinion here!
Royal Mail Transformers Miniature Sheet featuring the five Dinobots from the comic book series
Royal Mail Transformers Miniature Sheet featuring the five Dinobots from the comic book series
ViccyVFU
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by ViccyVFU »

norvic wrote: 16 Aug 2022 02:28 Whether you like the product or not, this is a great way for Royal Mail to gain financial advantage from yet another group of non collectors, ie fans and devotees of the subject. It’s a different sort of nerdy hobby.

Others might call it "abuse of monopoly power".

Fans are highly transitory in nature ... so it all ends up in the discount postage market

.... like this unopened frame I picked up a couple of weeks back ....
(Issued 2017, and still good for £7.41 of postal services).

bowie_a.jpg
bowie_b.jpg

A bit more work for me "to scrap it, and recover the postage" (but I'm a martyr to the cause!!).

There are not that many classic issues in this years crop - they are all shaping up nicely into becoming "tomorrows recycling". :D

norvic

Post by norvic »

The point is that Royal Mail Stamps are making some money other than from stamp collectors, which is good if it means they produced fewer sets per year (just imagine what the programme would be if they had to make more!).

Ultimately collectors don’t have to buy - they can stop at any time and call their collections ‘complete up to nnnn’.

Many Dealers have already stopped, but some collectors still insist on pumping money into the machine. Maybe if they stopped feeding the monster it might shrivel away and die?
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock before Royal Mail burn them all, singles, booklets, booklet panes, regionals - lists here: or email/DM your general needs and I'll let you know whether it's worth sending a wants list.
FairyFoot
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by FairyFoot »

cwm wrote: 16 Aug 2022 03:10 I really like the miniature sheet for the Transformers issue of the Dinobots. I think having issues of cartoons I watched on TV as a kid is really cool :D ... but I'll see myself out as that isn't popular opinion here!
I like them! My local main post office will only get 2 sheets! So, if I get at least one sheet, I will use them (eventually).They'll be a darn sight nicer than the datamatrix stamp things...
I am a Penpaller and Stamp User. I send therefore I receive. I muse on letters and stamps at correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk. I have a forum, A World of Snail Mail. I need to collect "Welt der Briefe" stamps from Deutsche Post.
whiteknight&dog
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Post by whiteknight&dog »

Regarding The Transformers issue.

1. Royal Mail is a business and it exists to make as big a profit on behalf of its shareholders as it is can.

2. Postage stamps have their obvious primary practical role to fulfil but they have secondary roles and these include representing the country whose name is printed on them or, in the UK’s case, the name of the business which the government has appointed (or set up) to represent it. Postage stamps can project the national image, promote various aspects of the country and act as a sort of ambassador telling the world about the country. It is reasonable to expect that these ambassadors should be tastefully designed, skilfully printed and actually representative of the country on whose mail to which they are fixed.

3. The nature of any design is a matter of personal taste but the excuse used partially to explain Royal Mail’s release of these items - that some British ‘artists’ played a part in producing these American products - is feeble. Why not issue sets of stamps depicting foreign bridges or dams or hospitals which British engineers and architects and other professionals have been involved in constructing? Such achievements at least are clearly beneficial to countless people in the countries in which the British experts had worked on the projects.

4. It is perfectly reasonable for Royal Mail to try to maximise its income by trying to sell to those who are not normally interested in stamps and the numerous products associated with these issues no doubt help to fill its coffers but issues such as this Transformers extravaganza are gradually driving away its traditional customer base. I wonder how long it will be before the advantages of selling to non-collectors are outweighed by the disadvantages of losing long-term collectors who would previously have bought every philatelic item of every issue.

5. My own personal feeling is that this issue has no genuine role to play in promoting the United Kingdom, the stamps are tasteless and tawdry, the issue is just one more among an increasing number of tedious, forgettable, excruciatingly expensive releases in a sea of excessive issues and in the medium to long run it is another blow to the new issues industry. True, Royal Mail does not need to sell many of the £49.99 ‘deluxe, prestige, limited edition’ booklets to make a profit on them but I should dearly love to know how many of the non-collector Transformers enthusiasts really do buy such ridiculously priced items.

6. I still buy some Royal Mail new ‘special’ issues if I see them as being worthwhile and commemorating something important and relevant. Others will have different opinions about what is pleasing to them to collect and they must spend their money as they wish but every time these catchpenny, cynical and exploitative products, little better than the items put out by Stamperija, are bought it encourages Royal Mail to continue to issue the stuff.
FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

Does anyone here do yougov surveys? Well, on branding/companies, etc... they ask which of the brands/companies you'd be embarrassed to buy/work for, and which you'd be happy to...

So, in the line of that, which of this year's RM stamp issues are you happy to use as postage on maili, and which ones are you somewhat embarrassed to use?
I am a Penpaller and Stamp User. I send therefore I receive. I muse on letters and stamps at correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk. I have a forum, A World of Snail Mail. I need to collect "Welt der Briefe" stamps from Deutsche Post.
whiteknight&dog

Good question!
faro
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by faro »

ViccyVFU wrote: 16 Aug 2022 03:18

A bit more work for me "to scrap it, and recover the postage" (but I'm a martyr to the cause!!).

Off-topic, but you under-estimate some fanbases.

Not one to sell as a 99p start auction, but as a BIN even before the run-up to Christmas:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125426546812
dbCapture.JPG

I'd be surprised if the Transformers equivalent does so well, though.
cwm

Post by cwm »

whiteknight&dog wrote: 16 Aug 2022 05:36representing the country whose name is printed on them
How does a labrador represent France? ;)
whiteknight&dog

How does a tiger represent Britain?
cwm

Post by cwm »

whiteknight&dog wrote: 17 Aug 2022 19:42 How does a tiger represent Britain?
I was not the one who claimed stamps need to represent their country of origin :lol:

To critique the Transformers issue as it doesn't represent the UK, but liking a labrador stamp from France which is equally unrelated to its country of origin is hypocritical. Just say you don't like the Transformers issue and move on.
norvic

Post by norvic »

Wow, who rattled your cage!
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock before Royal Mail burn them all, singles, booklets, booklet panes, regionals - lists here: or email/DM your general needs and I'll let you know whether it's worth sending a wants list.
FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

When was the Working Dogs issue? If I recall, wasn't there a police dog? Possibly a German Shepherd...
whiteknight&dog

A quick reply to a petty comment irrelevant to the subject. The French yellow Labrador stamp avatar was chosen for me. My own Labrador is black but I have no objections to having had a yellow dog chosen on my behalf. Other than the fact that if one visits France one does indeed see lots of yellow Labradors (and hardly any black ones unless they’re accompanying British visitors - over here we seem to prefer the black variety) it is indeed difficult to tie a design featuring a yellow Labrador to our neighbours across the Channel. Is that good enough?
gavin-h
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by gavin-h »

whiteknight&dog wrote: 17 Aug 2022 23:18 Is that good enough?
MODERATOR COMMENT:

It is good enough.

And it is ENOUGH!!!

Please all play nicely and stop trying to score points off one another (hint: that includes responding to this with a "well he started it" or similar...)

Thanks everyone, back to the topic of the GB stamp programme for what's left of 2022 :idea:
FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

I was thinking maybe I should order the miniature sheets direct from RM, but wondering, with the posties on strike just before the issue date, whether I'd do better delaying for a while.
norvic

Post by norvic »

faro wrote: 16 Aug 2022 09:43
ViccyVFU wrote: 16 Aug 2022 03:18

Off-topic, but you under-estimate some fanbases.

Not one to sell as a 99p start auction, but as a BIN even before the run-up to Christmas:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125426546812

I'd be surprised if the Transformers equivalent does so well, though.
Well before I get into the detail of the Transformers issue, which is what this is supposed to be about, the 2022 Stamp Programme, these are some social media reactions (Twitter):

Screenshot 2022-08-17 at 17.49.16.png
Screenshot 2022-08-17 at 17.48.04.png
Screenshot 2022-08-17 at 17.46.33.png
Screenshot 2022-08-17 at 17.45.44.png
Screenshot 2022-08-17 at 17.45.32.png
Screenshot 2022-08-17 at 17.44.02.png
Reactions to the Transformers stamps on Twitter, from fans, some of whom also already buy (framed) stamps.
Reactions to the Transformers stamps on Twitter, from fans, some of whom also already buy (framed) stamps.
norvic

Post by norvic »

And now to the meat. Royal Mail's justification for this - which certainly has gained some traction from those involved:
The Transformers – alien robots who can change into vehicles, machinery and weapons – first appeared in toy shops and on TV screens in 1984. Nearly 40 years on, thanks to the addition of comic books, computer games and movies, the likes of Optimus Prime and Megatron have become pop-culture titans.

The story of the heroic Autobots and the evil Decepticons has been told in many different ways, but the core premise is usually the same: a deadly civil war engulfs the distant metal planet of Cybertron and eventually spreads to Earth. Key to the warring mechanoids’ success in the UK and Ireland was Marvel UK’s The Transformers comic, which told an epic seven-year story across 332 issues.

As well as launching the careers of British writers and artists, ‘TFUK’ inspired fans to follow in their footsteps, with James Roberts, Nick Roche and Jack Lawrence going on to help expand the mythos, establish the definitive origin of the Transformers, and reinvent the Robots in Disguise for the 21st century with characters and concepts that endure to this day.

The stamps feature original illustrations created by three established comic artists Andrew Wildman (pencils), Stephen Baskerville (inks) and John-Paul Bove (colours) who have all contributed to The Transformers UK comic series The stamp designs arranged in pairs depict an Autobot and Decepticon locked in a battle, featuring eight characters in retro Generation 1 style from the 1980s.
Now, I am the fist to admit that I didn't realise the following they have, alongside Marvel and other more well-known franchises, although I know about them and the toys they were in the house and tv programme was watched in 1984.

Technical details and acknowledgements

The stamps and miniature sheet are designed by The Chase. The original illustrations have been created exclusively for Royal Mail by estblished comic artists Andrew Wildman (pencils), Stephen Baskerville (inks) and John-Paul Bove (colours) who worked on The Transformers UK comic books.

The 50 x 30 mm stamps are printed in litho by Cartor Security Printers in gummed sheets of 60, perforated 14.

In the 190 x 67 mm miniature sheet, the Swoop (2nd) and Sludge (1st) stamps are 27 x 37 mm (perf 14). The Slug (1st) and Snark (£1.85) stamps are 35 mm square (perf 14½); the Grimlock stamp (1st) is 35 x 37 mm (14½ x 14). The self-adhesive sheets are printed by Cartor Security Printers in litho.

Acknowledgements TRANSFORMERS and all related characters are trademarks of Hasbro and
are used with permission. © 2022 Hasbro. All Rights Reserved. Licensed by Hasbro.

The stamps are printed with UV ink which reveals each character’s Autoboot or Decepticon motif and their name coded in the Cybertronian alphabet when shone under UV light.

Each of the eight stamps has a unique Augmented Reality animation which brings the stamp to life and includes a clip from the original Transformers TV series. This can be activated by downloading the Royal Mail App and scanning the stamp with a smartphone or tablet. (Facility not yet available.)

The stamps are repeated in the Prestige Stamp Book which also has a pane of Machin Definitives, similar to that issued previously in the Women at War PSB, but with only four stamps and two labels. Readers may recall that the Machins in that earlier book were deemed to be the same as the counter sheet versions as they had the source code MAIL in the iridescent printing.
Close up of 50p Machin definitive stamp from Unsung Heroes PSB coded MAIL at top right. (Digitally enhanced).
Close up of 50p Machin definitive stamp from Unsung Heroes PSB coded MAIL at top right. (Digitally enhanced).
Well these have had the correction made and are coded MPIL as they should be.
Close up of £1 Machin definitive stamp from Transformers PSB coded MPIL at top right. (Digitally enhanced).
Close up of £1 Machin definitive stamp from Transformers PSB coded MPIL at top right. (Digitally enhanced).
Scan of actual Transformers Stamps PSB pane 5 showing Machin definitives 2 x 50p, 2 x £1.
Scan of actual Transformers Stamps PSB pane 5 showing Machin definitives 2 x 50p, 2 x £1.
norvic

Post by norvic »

There is also an 8-stamp Collectors Sheet in which the 8 stamps which are ordinarily gummed in counter sheets are replaced by self-adhesive versions with labels attached, like Smilers sheets.
Transformers stamp collectors sheet issued 1.9.2022.
Transformers stamp collectors sheet issued 1.9.2022.
And there are Fan sheets. Only two were mentioned to dealers, and in the collector publication First, and on our dealer order form. But there are three available to pre-order on Royal Mail's website.
Transformers stamp Fan sheet - Bumblebee issued 1.9.2022.
Transformers stamp Fan sheet - Bumblebee issued 1.9.2022.
Transformers stamp Fan sheet - Optimus Prime issued 1.9.2022.
Transformers stamp Fan sheet - Optimus Prime issued 1.9.2022.
Transformers stamp Fan sheet - Megatron, the surprise one - issued 1.9.2022.
Transformers stamp Fan sheet - Megatron, the surprise one - issued 1.9.2022.
These are all the same size, the first two are provided images and the third is taken as a screen cap.

Even if you like them, and like the characters on the miniature sheet, I don't really see the attraction of the Press Sheet of 12.
Press Sheet of 12 miniature sheets - TRansformers stamps 1.9.2022
Press Sheet of 12 miniature sheets - TRansformers stamps 1.9.2022
Read more about the stamps and the characters here.
Last edited by norvic on 18 Aug 2022 06:51, edited 1 time in total.
norvic

Post by norvic »

From the launch at the TFNation Convention (via various Twitter accounts).

Royal Mail had an impressive display stand in amongst all the other merchandise.
TFN1jpg.jpg
TFN3.jpg
Royal Mail display stand.
Royal Mail display stand.
Pictured is John-Paul Bove artist responsible for the colour work on the stamps, and probably some of the other products as well.
Pictured is John-Paul Bove artist responsible for the colour work on the stamps, and probably some of the other products as well.
norvic

Post by norvic »

JPB wasn't the only one to get his hands on some special products. This special one-off was presented to Simon Furman, listed on TransformersWiki as
British comic book writer Simon Christopher Francis Furman (born March 22, 1961) is probably the most well-known of all Transformers comics scribes, and certainly the most prolific.

He wrote most of the UK-original comic stories of Generation 1, as well as the latter 1/3rd of the US comic run, and has been author on innumerable Transformers tales since. As a result, he is often the first, last, and occasionally only resort in penning Transformers literature, with a deep involvement in a wide variety of product.

He's admitted this has left him typecast and his non-Transformers work gets overlooked, but he's stated he stopped struggling against the association years ago and gives thanks for the opportunities and steady income it's given him

Enlarged framed Grimlock Transformers stamp.
Enlarged framed Grimlock Transformers stamp.
Enlarged framed Grimlock Transformers stamp., reverse.
Enlarged framed Grimlock Transformers stamp., reverse.
Royal Mail's Matt Parkes (right) suitably down-dressed at the TFNation convention, to announce the stamp issue.
Royal Mail's Matt Parkes (right) suitably down-dressed at the TFNation convention where he announced the stamp issue 13.8.2022.
Royal Mail's Matt Parkes (right) suitably down-dressed at the TFNation convention where he announced the stamp issue 13.8.2022.
norvic

Post by norvic »

norvic wrote: 08 Aug 2022 07:44 Barcoded country definitives are shown on the demonetising thread.

One here as an example.
Rather than sidetrack the Demonetising thread on philatelic matters(!), here is a picture of two sets of Wales datamatrix stamps, issued last Thursday. The top picture is the sheet stamps, the lower picture shows the stamps supplied on the official Royal Mail fdc.

A prize to the first person to spot the difference (not shades) - without consulting my blog!
Wales datamatrix stamp set x 2. What's the difference?
Wales datamatrix stamp set x 2. What's the difference?
ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

norvic wrote: 18 Aug 2022 07:00 spot the difference (not shades) - without consulting my blog!

The bottom set look to be straight edged along the top? :mrgreen:

norvic

Post by norvic »

No, it's in the printed stamp, that's just how it scanned against the white envelope.
Rockyman44
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by Rockyman44 »

I can see subtle differences in the font of the values, especially the “AF” on the 1st class stamp:
Detail of welsh 1st class stamps
Detail of welsh 1st class stamps
Collecting worldwide used stamps 1918 - 2000, geology & fossils on stamps
FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

My first thought - forged already?
norvic

Post by norvic »

FairyFoot wrote: 18 Aug 2022 08:09 My first thought - forged already?
Not forged, Mia, Rockyman44 has the right answer.

The stamps on the FDC (usually, and I assume this time despite the datamatrix involvement) come from a special sideways coil printing, not available mint, and only available on FDCs.

Somehow Cartor screwed up (again) and Royal Mail don't care - or didn't notice.

The new font was introduced on the original stamps in 2017; they reprinted in 2019 with the original font. As I wrote at the time Just print some stamps, we don't care what they look like!
Detail of Wales 1st class Datamatrix stamps showing difference between generally available sheet stamp and special FDC printing.
Detail of Wales 1st class Datamatrix stamps showing difference between generally available sheet stamp and special FDC printing.
norvic

Post by norvic »

@rockyman44 - do you collect these? Would you like one of the errors?
Bill H UK
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Post by Bill H UK »

Returning to Transformers for a mo, I just checked the RM sales site for these.

https://shop.royalmail.com/special-stamp-issues/transformers?gclsrc=aw.ds&p=1

The buying options are:

Set of stamps £11.20
Miniature sheet £5.38
Presentation pack £17.50
Limited edition prestige booklet £49.99
'Unlimited’ prestige booklet £21.25
'3 x ‘Fan sheets’ [at] 7.00 each £21.00
'Collectors sheet’ £12.40
Press sheet £64.56

Total £203.28

And that's just the mint stamps!!!

You can also choose from multiple varieties of FDC, framed sets and sheets (£30-£50) and encapsulated "ingots" (3 [at] £25 each)

And that's just for ONE of RM's issues this year.

This is surely beyond ridiculous now.
Collecting mint British Empire / Colonial up to the 1960s, Bridlington & East Yorkshire postal history, and wacky postcards.
Rockyman44

Post by Rockyman44 »

Even if you’re a hardcore Transformers fan, you would need deep pockets to buy all these!

I think postal use of these will be minimal, I’d be surprised to get one on my mail....
Collecting worldwide used stamps 1918 - 2000, geology & fossils on stamps
FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

Rockyman44 wrote: 18 Aug 2022 22:18 Even if you’re a hardcore Transformers fan, you would need deep pockets to buy all these!

I think postal use of these will be minimal, I’d be surprised to get one on my mail....
You might want some penfriends in the UK!
norvic

Post by norvic »

norvic wrote: 18 Aug 2022 06:38
And there are Fan sheets. Only two were mentioned to dealers, and in the collector publication First, and on our dealer order form. But there are three available to pre-order on Royal Mail's website.
ImageImageImage
These are all the same size, the first two are provided images and the third is taken as a screen cap.
I questioned the absence of this third sheets from the information already supplied to both dealers and collectors.

The reply almost defies belief in its disregard for the collector - and dealer.
was told: "this sheet is an online exclusive so not available to order via the normal {dealer or collector} Channels. Apologies in advance for any inconvenience caused.".

I find this incredible. On several previous occasions special covers have been sold at Conventions with 'postmarks' not available for collectors or dealers. But I don't ever recall a single one of three similar products being produced and ONLY sold online.

If it had been sold only at a post-issue event it would have been wrong, but this is very odd.
ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

norvic wrote: 18 Aug 2022 23:52 I questioned the absence of this third sheets from the information already supplied to both dealers and collectors.

was told: "this sheet is an online exclusive so not available to order via the normal {dealer or collector} Channels. Apologies in advance for any inconvenience caused.".

Does this mean you are going to have to order 25 sheets "as Joe Public" (at full retail, from the website), to satisfy your customers, or are you going to tell your customers to go there to order their own?

If the latter, two things are fairly sure...

1) Customers ordering direct will probably want to single source their whole issue from there (To avoid carriage costs) .... (barring, of course, your "value added products").

2) Once RM have the names of active collectors, you may find "takings, as an intermediary, somewhat reduced".

I reckon the first three months of the swap over scheme will have yielded them "an almost complete list of dealers and collectors", with the last three months being given over to "stragglers" and (late) "repeat" conversions.

norvic

Post by norvic »

I don't deal in modern commemoratives, I just write about them (it provides some income from Google ads on the blog).

The bigger problem is that people who don't read my blog and don't read this won't even know about it.
Bill H UK

Post by Bill H UK »

RM really do seem to have gone mad on this issue.
Artificial rarity now, too.

All it needs is a couple of NFT stamps with it for the full house.

This lot is as bad as anything produced by Stamperija. How is it any different?
Collecting mint British Empire / Colonial up to the 1960s, Bridlington & East Yorkshire postal history, and wacky postcards.
norvic

Post by norvic »

ViccyVFU wrote: 19 Aug 2022 00:25
norvic wrote: 18 Aug 2022 23:52 I questioned the absence of this third sheets from the information already supplied to both dealers and collectors.

Does this mean you are going to have to order 25 sheets "as Joe Public" (at full retail, from the website), to satisfy your customers, or are you going to tell your customers to go there to order their own?

If the latter, two things are fairly sure...

1) Customers ordering direct will probably want to single source their whole issue from there (To avoid carriage costs) .... (barring, of course, your "value added products").

2) Once RM have the names of active collectors, you may find "takings, as an intermediary, somewhat reduced".

I reckon the first three months of the swap over scheme will have yielded them "an almost complete list of dealers and collectors", with the last three months being given over to "stragglers" and (late) "repeat" conversions.

A back-pedal (or correction?) from Royal Mail:
it's not really online only for ordering purposes; the reference to online only [is that it] will be promoted online only, any customer can order it.

I’ll make sure everyone in the team knows that.
norvic

Post by norvic »

I've just received the Royal Marines stamps due for issue on 29 September.

I'm sure the Marines work a lot at night, and in gloomy weather, but even the 'Arid-climate' ops which I presume isn Afghanistan, is dark. Look out for plenty of pen cancels if you ever see these used!
whiteknight&dog

I moan a lot about Royal Mail designs. To be fair, nowadays I moan about a lot of things. But I’m interested to read about the darkness of the Royal Marine designs. Looking at issues of recent years it fascinates me how frequently RM designs are too dark to really appreciate what is being depicted on them. Conversely we have had a run of pretty garish designs recently. I do not really understand why the designers can not strike a balance.

Of course art and design is a matter of taste. But all too often it seems to me that designers produce designs that other designers will like rather than aiming at what a member of the public might appreciate and enjoy. Presumably they will get an industry award if their colleagues think their work is clever enough.

The worst ever design was the well-meant Millenium stamp which depicted gravestones (in commemoration of those who lost their life in our numerous wars) but really what would you think if someone sent you a letter or greetings card with a picture of gravestones on the stamp?
FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

Well, there are stamps I'd find difficult to use for postage to some people. I was tasked a while back with finding a birthday card for my mother's friend, but she lost her son (cancer, my age) a couple of weeks before. Can't have some insensitive sentiment ("Have a fantastic day" type thing). Same somewhat for the stamp.

As for stamp design, well, I know you can't please everyone. Some people really don't like things with more than 4 legs or even small things with four legs; the sorts of creatures depicted on stamps to celebrate fauna, raising awareness of endangered species, etc.

I did like the Lest We Forget poppies... I still have one or two left I think. But I wouldn't use them for all types of letters/cards.

A couple of my penpals have been in the services, so perhaps they'd appreciate the various service stamps. I haven't used many of the British Army Vehicles stamps in the miniature sheet yet. Maybe I could get a couple of the Royal Marines stamps, especially if available in £1.85.
Bill H UK

Post by Bill H UK »

I can see the recent 'Pride' stamps being used to deliberately annoy some right wing types!
FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

I can't use Pride stamps for everyone I write to... as certain countries still don't "like" it.
OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

FairyFoot wrote: 23 Aug 2022 22:16 I can't use Pride stamps for everyone I write to... as certain countries still don't "like" it.
Are you suggesting "Postkrieg" might be applied? :lol:
norvic

Post by norvic »

Now that would be fun, modern postal history.

FAncing sending some to Qatar, obviously to a false address anyway for return underlivered, but what might the markings be?
FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

Be interesting....
norvic

Post by norvic »

norvic wrote: 18 Aug 2022 08:21
FairyFoot wrote: 18 Aug 2022 08:09 My first thought - forged already?
Not forged, Mia, Rockyman44 has the right answer.

The stamps on the FDC (usually, and I assume this time despite the datamatrix involvement) come from a special sideways coil printing, not available mint, and only available on FDCs.

Somehow Cartor screwed up (again) and Royal Mail don't care - or didn't notice.

The new font was introduced on the original stamps in 2017; they reprinted in 2019 with the original font. As I wrote at the time Just print some stamps, we don't care what they look like!
Rushstamps are offering the uncancelled FDC at £17.50 on eBay. - only 10 available.
FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

Well..... that was different...

So, this morning, I eagerly get down to town, to my local crown post office. I go to the usual counter for the commemorative stamps. She says, brb as she has to go get them out of the safe... she takes the elastic off the cardboard thing, and reveals the contents. Just 2 miniature sheets, and at least one presentation pack. That was all they got. They are trialling not getting in the sheets of commemorative stamps, although when they did have the 1st class in, these were distributed to the counter books so would get used. So, I relieved them of the two miniature sheets, I wasn't intending on getting the other Transformer stamps so left quite happily.

I decided to jump on a bus and get a rover ticket... Another bus later, I end up in Menai Bridge. There's a little post office with a card shop. In I went, and asked for Transformers. Lo and behold, they had the stamps! Though they'd sold a few already, blocks of 4 with selvage perhaps with the colour code... to someone. Anyway, I bought 4 stamps as well from each sheet, 8 x 1st, and 8 x £1.85. I forgot to ask if they had miniature sheets left, but well, didn't need to be greedy. (They also had a load of non-datamatrixed dragons in the counterbook, but new leeks).

After a nice cup of tea & letter written (well, it is World Letter Writing Day), I head off back to Bangor for a bit of stationery shopping. I have some time to spare before bus back so head into the little WHSmith store with a non-crown post office, and by this time, it is late afternoon, I'm lucky not to have to wait too long to be seen at the counter. They'd sold out of Transformers. They didn't get many to begin with. The counter person was suggesting that I should order direct from Royal Mail. I didn't leave empty handed as I came away with 2 sheets of Post Awyr, although I got the feeling he was reluctant to give me that many!

I had been to that WHSmith post office before but ran into reluctance on one day of issue with the excuse, "the stamps haven't been issued to the counter, can you come back tomorrow?" So, was pleased to discover the nice peeps at the post office in Menai Bridge (3 other little post offices I used to visit have closed due to retirement, and then moved to Spar/other convenience stores). After unforeseen circumstances nearly 5 years ago, I had to be content getting stamps from Caernarfon.
DJCMH

Post by DJCMH »

With the announcement of the passing of Elizabeth II will be interesting to see how this affects the rest of this year's program

Will the remaining planned issues now be issued, since they normally would have the royal cameo on them?

A mourning issue/mourning Machin? No mourning issue for previous monarchs but Royal Mail policy was very different 70 years ago.

New Charles III defins at start of 2023??
APS #173088 Stamp Catalog Coordinator for Colnect Online Catalogue https://colnect.com/en/stamps
FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

Perhaps the Royal Marines issue should go ahead. It sounds like a sombre issue so...

How quickly did the Commonwealth issue stamps of the Queen in 1952?
DJCMH

Post by DJCMH »

FairyFoot wrote: 09 Sep 2022 09:13 Perhaps the Royal Marines issue should go ahead. It sounds like a sombre issue so...

How quickly did the Commonwealth issue stamps of the Queen in 1952?
First EII Wilding issue in UK issued 6 Dec 1952, so 10 months after GVI passed.

But printing technology today would allow faster turnaround, my bet is the start of 2023 for Charles III, with a mourning Machin released in the next month and maybe mourning issue as well (I am sure Royal Mail has had some contingency plans in place, and a mourning issue is something I think most collectors today would support, and would be a nice way to complete the Elizabethan era, philatelically)
APS #173088 Stamp Catalog Coordinator for Colnect Online Catalogue https://colnect.com/en/stamps
Stewie1980

Post by Stewie1980 »

I wonder what will happen with the coming Royal Marines issue of september 29.

I'm guessing they are allready printed. Will they all be destroyed and reprinted with the king's head?

Shame HM Queen Elizabeth II's philatelic era ends with those horrible Transformers stamps.

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”