Hello All NEW Members - please briefly introduce yourself!

A general welcome message to all new members! All new members are invited and urged to make this thread their FIRST port of call. Please do **NOT** start a new thread in THIS forum - just add to the one long one. In all OTHER forums start as many NEW ones as you wish!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

ValoraLee1840
Stampboards one post *NEWBIE*!

Re: Hello All NEW Members - please briefly introduce yourself!

Post by ValoraLee1840 »

Hello everyone! I’ve been a member since 2021 and this is my “intro” post.
I’ve been collecting stamps with Hubby (collecting is a mild word….more like full on stamp fever) since 2020. I have a love/ hate relationship with them. We can spend hours researching stamps, which I love, and then feel like I’ve accomplished nothing. 🙄
I know I need to scale down my collection and decide what to focus on but it’s so hard to decide to do, cause I love them all!
Oh Geez, I’m hopeless!! 🤣
lesbootman
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Post by lesbootman »

Welcome ValoraLee1840,

You're not hopeless, stamp collectors don't have to follow a prescribed channel, even though some choose to follow that path.

You can't do it wrong, you just do it your way!

The fact that you enjoy researching stamps is great, and you'll learn a lot as well as feeling a sense of attachment to the stamp you've researched and a sense of accomplishment too.
Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind!
capetriangle
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by capetriangle »

A warm welcome to all new members, enjoy Stampboards and enjoy posting.

Remember you are what you post.

Kindest regards

Richard Debney
Bill H UK

Post by Bill H UK »

ValoraLee1840 wrote: 17 Aug 2022 21:11 Hello everyone! I’ve been a member since 2021 and this is my “intro” post.
I’ve been collecting stamps with Hubby (collecting is a mild word….more like full on stamp fever) since 2020. I have a love/ hate relationship with them. We can spend hours researching stamps, which I love, and then feel like I’ve accomplished nothing. 🙄
I know I need to scale down my collection and decide what to focus on but it’s so hard to decide to do, cause I love them all!
Well, I think it's great that you can share your collecting with your other half.
My wife just rolls her eyes at any mention, and can't see the appeal at all. :roll:
Collecting mint British Empire / Colonial up to the 1960s, Bridlington & East Yorkshire postal history, and wacky postcards.
RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Welcome ValoraLee1840 (and hubby in the background — will he join Stampboards too?)

Enjoying your stamps, and enjoying what they motivate you to find out, figure out, seek out and set out, is all good. It enriches your life experience. And having a partner to share it with is a rare bonus — usually stamp collectors have partners with entirely different hobbies and enthusiasms, and we do well if we pay attention to each other's interests...

Utilitarianism is a very limited measure of value. It asks "practical" questions like: What's the point? What else could you be doing with your time? Does it make you money? The answer: If you get enjoyment, mental stimulation, and social interaction from your hobby, those intangibles beat the narrow "what's the use" view hands down. :D

/RogerE :D
V K Ramaswamy
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!

Post by V K Ramaswamy »

Respected Sir / Sirs

I am from India

A young collector

I do collect the " Cricket " themed Stamps

I have managed some ... yes ... almost all

I found some inquiries on the 1988 Stamp Booklets of Guyana
and I can try to clarfy the doubts ... if any (.)

Some of the Senior persons who inquired / & answered in 2017
are still in the Group ..

I have both these BOOKLETS released as with OVER PRINT stamps
and the stamps in the below parts are not visible, until you hold
the upper ones ...

Yes.. if I can be of any help, you can please put through with your
questions ...

I will be too glad to respond ..

With respects...
Date:17.08.2022

EDITED POST: Deleted email
njmcarthur

Post by njmcarthur »

Hi everyone,

I'm a new member based in Blenheim, New Zealand. I collected stamps for a number of years as a teenager and have now rediscovered the stamp collecting bug some 25 years later. Unfortunately I didn't have the foresight to keep my teenage stamp collection so I'm starting from scratch once again, focusing at the moment on collecting New Zealand and the Western Pacific, and developing a more specialized collection of NZ's 1940 centennial issue.

It's been an interesting experience climbing back into philately and discovering the differences between collecting stamps in the 1990s vs the 2020s. The various online resources we have access to these days (including stampboards, colnect, online auctions and trading platforms such as eBay and TradeMe are so useful, but I'm also lamenting how few stamps I receive on personal mail these days, as well as the cost and short supply of kiloware now compared to the 1990s!

Best wishes all,
Nikki
Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

Welcome to Stampboards Nikki.
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, lighthouses, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !
uncadonego

Post by uncadonego »

V K Ramaswamy wrote: 18 Aug 2022 04:59 Respected Sir / Sirs

I am from India

A young collector

the upper ones ...

questions ...

With respects...

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Welcome friend,

Hope you enjoy Stampboards, but oy, disguise your email address!!! :o

You'll get spammed and phished every day!

Bots go through websites every day harvesting email addresses that people put up.
Last edited by uncadonego on 18 Aug 2022 19:38, edited 1 time in total.
Bill H UK

Post by Bill H UK »

uncadonego wrote: 18 Aug 2022 19:20
V K Ramaswamy wrote: 18 Aug 2022 04:59 Respected Sir / Sirs

I am from India

A young collector

the upper ones ...

questions ...

With respects...

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Welcome friend,

Hope you enjoy Stampboards, but oy, disguise your email address!!! :o

You'll get spammed and phished every day!

Bots go through websites every day harvesting email addresses that people put up.
You've just doubled his chances! :D
Edit your post!
Collecting mint British Empire / Colonial up to the 1960s, Bridlington & East Yorkshire postal history, and wacky postcards.
uncadonego

Post by uncadonego »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Done! :mrgreen:
V K Ramaswamy

Post by V K Ramaswamy »

Sir,

Thank you ...
V K Ramaswamy

Post by V K Ramaswamy »

Sir,

This is not my ID ..

Just quoted ..

Thankyou for your advice , any way ..

The fact remains
sidthestamper

Post by sidthestamper »

I am a new stamp collector based in Canada. I just realized collecting stamps is a wonderful way to spend your spare time and an excellent stress relief. I do not do this as an investment (it takes the fun out of it and add another stress to my head) and I am doing this just for fun. So I am not looking to buy stamps as many of the serious stamp pros.

My collection is still very limited. But I am reaching out to stamp collectors from all over the world, if you have unwanted or unloved or throwaway stamps, please let me know. I will accept them you their new home :)
Newbie collector from Canada 🍁 🇨🇦
I can be the new home to your unwanted stamps. 🙂 📮 📫
FairyFoot
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by FairyFoot »

Hello and welcome.

I use stamps for their primary purpose (sending letters), and see quite a range in return. A great way to see the world of stamps. Teaches patience.
I am a Penpaller and Stamp User. I send therefore I receive. I muse on letters and stamps at correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk. I have a forum, A World of Snail Mail. I need to collect "Welt der Briefe" stamps from Deutsche Post.
voneschenbach1
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by voneschenbach1 »

ValoraLee1840 wrote: 17 Aug 2022 21:11 Hello everyone! I’ve been a member since 2021 and this is my “intro” post.
Welcome! Right there with you!!! I am currently soaking my way through 50+ pounds of kiloware backlog and collect world plus a few topicals. That said, I got rid of my book collection and just have a Kindle so the distribution of weight is overall down lol
Collector of worldwide stamps in a Minkus Global album set and stockbooks for newer issues. Topical collector of flora/fauna, aerospace and CZ Slania engraved stamps. Enjoys delving into huge box lots of disorganized materials.
voneschenbach1

Post by voneschenbach1 »

RogerE wrote: 18 Aug 2022 04:23 Welcome ValoraLee1840 (and hubby in the background — will he join Stampboards too?)

The answer: If you get enjoyment, mental stimulation, and social interaction from your hobby, those intangibles beat the narrow "what's the use" view hands down. :D

This right here. Life is too short - enjoy!
Collector of worldwide stamps in a Minkus Global album set and stockbooks for newer issues. Topical collector of flora/fauna, aerospace and CZ Slania engraved stamps. Enjoys delving into huge box lots of disorganized materials.
voneschenbach1

Post by voneschenbach1 »

njmcarthur wrote: 18 Aug 2022 16:03 Hi everyone,

I'm a new member based in Blenheim, New Zealand. I collected stamps for a number of years as a teenager and have now rediscovered the stamp collecting bug some 25 years later. Unfortunately I didn't have the foresight to keep my teenage stamp collection so I'm starting from scratch once again, focusing at the moment on collecting New Zealand and the Western Pacific, and developing a more specialized collection of NZ's 1940 centennial issue.

It's been an interesting experience climbing back into philately and discovering the differences between collecting stamps in the 1990s vs the 2020s. The various online resources we have access to these days (including stampboards, colnect, online auctions and trading platforms such as eBay and TradeMe are so useful, but I'm also lamenting how few stamps I receive on personal mail these days, as well as the cost and short supply of kiloware now compared to the 1990s!

Best wishes all,
Nikki
Welcome Nikki! I am similar - was quite active until the mid-90s and then got back in during the pandemic and working from home. I love all of the new internet resources and online marketplaces... but there are some big things I miss from back then including getting stamps in the mail, wide availability of kiloware, etc. I traded my early collection to my dad, who gave it back plus his own stuff and it's fun to run into old stamps including ones his dad brought back from overseas assignments.
AliceInStampland
Green Star Less Than 10 Posts Member

Post by AliceInStampland »

Greetings all!

I am something of a returning philatelist. I collected stamps for a couple of years as a teenager, but it was not a hobby that stayed with me. Now I am rediscovering stamps as an adult, by way of cataloguing an inherited collection in my husband's family.

I am enjoying it! But I am also a bit overwhelmed by the process. I have lurked around this forum as part of my project, and everything I have seen here has been so positive and friendly - I thought I would join!
Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

Welcome to Stampboards Alice.
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, lighthouses, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !
RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Hello and welcome to new Stampboards members. Here's a location-in-brief introduction so other readers, like me, can brush up on our geography and know where you all are ;)
Acknowledgements to Google for the thumbnail descriptions and photographs.

VK = V K Ramaswamy in Dombivli, Maharashtra, India
Dombivli is a city located near Mumbai in the Thane district of Maharashtra state, India. It is part of Mumbai Metropolitan Region, in northwest India.
Dombivli, Maharashtra, India
Dombivli, Maharashtra, India
Nikki = njmcarthur in Blenheim, South Island, New Zealand
Blenheim is a town on New Zealand’s South Island. It’s known as a gateway to the wineries of the Wairau Valley to the west. In town, the Marlborough Museum chronicles the development of winemaking, plus early Polynesian settlement of the region. The Omaka Aviation Heritage Centre houses filmmaker Peter Jackson’s collection of World War I aircraft, displayed in sets re-creating their flight history.
Blenheim, South Island, New Zealand
Blenheim, South Island, New Zealand
Sid = sidthestamper in Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Toronto, capital of Ontario, is a major Canadian city along Lake Ontario’s northwestern shore. It's a dynamic metropolis with a core of soaring skyscrapers, all dwarfed by the iconic, free-standing CN Tower. Toronto also has many green spaces, from the orderly oval of Queen’s Park to 400-acre High Park and its trails, sports facilities and zoo.
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Alice = AliceInStampland in Susanville, California, USA
Susanville is in the northeast corner of California. It is a former logging and mining town
Susanville, California, USA
Susanville, California, USA
We look forward to seeing further posts from all of you in various Stampboards threads. Tell us. and show us, some of what you enjoy in your stamp collecting.

voneschenbach1

Post by voneschenbach1 »

Welcome @AliceInStampland! Dealing with a family member's accumulation is always a bit of an interesting challenge. I buy box lots and it's interesting to gain insight into the previous collector through their stamps and the artifacts they have gathered together.
pKsontha58

Post by pKsontha58 »

INTRO TO ME :: NEW MEMBER Dr. PRAVEEN K.SONTHA ::

Have been Collecting Stamps & Coins since over 50 Yrs :: Have about 10,000 Stamps & 400 Coins of Worldwide 😊
Am the 2nd VP of the Simi Valley Stamp & Coin Club, here.
Am an Eye Dr by Profession
voneschenbach1

Post by voneschenbach1 »

pKsontha58 wrote: 22 Aug 2022 13:29 INTRO TO ME :: NEW MEMBER Dr. PRAVEEN K.SONTHA ::

Have been Collecting Stamps & Coins since over 50 Yrs :: Have about 10,000 Stamps & 400 Coins of Worldwide 😊
Am the 2nd VP of the Simi Valley Stamp & Coin Club, here.
Am an Eye Dr by Profession
Welcome! I have family in Simi. How many people attend the Simi stamp club?
Jill- f

Re: Stanley Gibbons London share price tumbles ............

Post by Jill- f »

Hi
Thank you for accepting me
sidthestamper

Post by sidthestamper »

Hi Roger and everyone!!
Thank you for that intro. Yes I'm from Canada, a great producer of lovely stamps. :)

I'm starting this as a newbie with the kindness of a friend who collected a few Canadian stamps for me. I got interested and started researching the ones from Canada, and understood that they're lovely. Only I didn't have a way to collect more. Then I realized the best ways are exchanging and asking for help from other collectors. (so here I am :D ) On my way, I learnt a lot from you guys and finally decided to join this forum (after being a guest for a few days)

I personally do not see stamp collecting as an investment activity and I feel it takes the fun out of it for me. :cry: I just love being around them and my stress goes away when I turn the pages of my album. ☺️ My goal in collecting stamps is to have as many stamps as possible from all counties for all the recent years. Hope it makes sense to you guys. Lol.

Kudos to my friend who gave me my first few stamps and a few very caring collectors who donated their unwanted stamps to me. I'll be always sharing and exchanging whenever I have more. Let's spread the joy of collecting stamps.
Newbie collector from Canada 🍁 🇨🇦
I can be the new home to your unwanted stamps. 🙂 📮 📫
voneschenbach1

Post by voneschenbach1 »

@sidthestamper - completely agree. I collect world and which gives a lot of scope for finding new stamps inexpensively. My stamps are worth very little, as is a used movie theater ticket stub other than signifying hours of enjoyment!
Firechic602

Post by Firechic602 »

Hi just learning about stamps and having fun doing it!!! :D :D 8-) 8-) In my old age I have found the joy in antiquing of every kind.
RogerE

Post by RogerE »

It's easy to see how stamps can give us instant pleasure and delight.

s-l1600.png
USA, Humming birds first day cover, 15 June 1992
USA, Humming birds first day cover, 15 June 1992
Several recent posts in this thread have espoused the enjoyment/pleasure/relaxation/delight/satisfaction derived from stamp collecting, as opposed to focusing on considerations of investment potential. While the financial dimension is not irrelevant, the endorsed advice is to choose not to make it the main reason for pursuing stamp collecting.

s-l1600-26.jpg
Australia, Parrots first day cover, 8 Feb 2005
Australia, Parrots first day cover, 8 Feb 2005
Bill H UK

Post by Bill H UK »

Completely agree, Roger.
I'd say that if you DO try to collect solely with investment in mind, the odds are you will probably fail.
Collect what you love, always.
voneschenbach1

Post by voneschenbach1 »

RogerE wrote: 23 Aug 2022 22:08 While the financial dimension is not irrelevant, the endorsed advice is to choose not to make it the main reason for pursuing stamp collecting.
I would be curious if there are any examples of collectors who have profited from their collections or even broke even. Maybe a topic for its own thread.
Joris

Post by Joris »

Hello collectors,
My name is Regimantas.I am from Lithuania.
I collect :
Germany Third Reich propaganda card.
Germany Greeting Card.
Victorian Greeting Card.
I found good information here:
https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=56896&start=150
Thank you.000
voneschenbach1

Post by voneschenbach1 »

Joris wrote: 25 Aug 2022 03:10 Hello collectors,
My name is Regimantas.I am from Lithuania.
I collect :
Germany Third Reich propaganda card.
Germany Greeting Card.
Victorian Greeting Card.
I found good information here:
https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=56896&start=150
Thank you.000
Welcome! I would love to see some of your collection of cards!
kartupos

Post by kartupos »

Hello collectors,
My name is Ferry & I am from Indonesia.

I collected stamps for a number of years and old Picture postcards from Netherlands Indies era.
Thanks
Thanks,
Ferry
voneschenbach1

Post by voneschenbach1 »

kartupos wrote: 25 Aug 2022 07:12 Hello collectors,

I collected stamps for a number of years and old Picture postcards from Netherlands Indies era.
Thanks
Welcome Ferry! I just soaked some beautiful recent Indonesian flower stamps a few days ago.
RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Hello and salamat datang to Ferry = kartupos.
Where in Indonesia do you live?

kartupos

Post by kartupos »

voneschenbach1 wrote: 25 Aug 2022 10:01

Thanks
Welcome Ferry! I just soaked some beautiful recent Indonesian flower stamps a few days ago.
Hello, glad to hear that and let me know if you need some Indonesian stamps.
Thanks
Thanks,
Ferry
kartupos

Post by kartupos »

RogerE wrote: 25 Aug 2022 11:13 Hello and salamat datang to Ferry = kartupos.
Where in Indonesia do you live?

Hello Roger, I live in Jakarta. Have you been to Indonesia before?
Cheers..
Thanks,
Ferry
Philexx
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!

Post by Philexx »

Welcome Ferry. Would love to see you post some of those old postcards :D
Join the Stampboards Monthly Cover Exchanges
wrwatson
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by wrwatson »

Welcome Ferry
lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

Welcome Ferry (kartupos).

When you get settled in and have learned the ropes I agree with Philexx, it would be interesting to see pictures of your Ned.Indies era postcards.
Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind!
voneschenbach1

Post by voneschenbach1 »

kartupos wrote: 25 Aug 2022 15:23
voneschenbach1 wrote: 25 Aug 2022 10:01

Thanks
Hello, glad to hear that and let me know if you need some Indonesian stamps.
Thanks
Very kind of you to offer - I'm in the middle of soaking a backlog of kiloware... hoping I can get back to trading some time this winter lol
ZIGGIES

Post by ZIGGIES »

Hello everyone I'm Richard and have been collecting stamps since the 1970s . I enjoy reading the comments in this forum . I mainly collect USA regular and commemorative issues . 👍
Cheers !
PaulH

Post by PaulH »

Hi everyone. I live in Saffron Walden in the UK but may be relocating back to the West Midlands in the next year sometime.

I have finally opened the box I took from the late father's house when we cleared out after his death which contained his old stamp collection of the last 60 years that he and I used to build during my childhood and early teens in the 1960s. It was a rather large collection that was not specific to any particular period or geographical range but he did love British colonials and there are oodles of those. The stamps were mounted with hinges and really stopped in the late 1970s with anything after that just dumped into envelopes waiting cataloguing, which I am now doing. I am also remounting them all without hinges in Hawid mounts.

I have decided to divide the collection into 3:

1) Great Britain and regional issues - I have catalogued and remounted these without hinges up to about year 2000 and intend to concentrate on these from now on but am taking a break whilst I concentrate on 2) below.

2) British colonial and commonwealth - I have catalogued these up to Malayan states. I love the pictorial stamps of the colonial era and am slowly expanding these

3) The rest of the world - I intend to catalogue and remount these but not to expand the collection.

This is a labour of love in memory of my old Dad and some of the memories it wakes up sometime overwhelm me. I have been doing this for some 9 months now and I reckon there's another couple of years just to get through the old stuff before I expand the collection significantly.

I will be asking for some advice, so thank you all in advance.

PaulH
Last edited by PaulH on 29 Aug 2022 03:18, edited 1 time in total.
capetriangle

Post by capetriangle »

PaulH

Welcome to Stampboards. Enjoy posting.

My family dates back to the 1580s in Saffron Walden, Essex, England, you might find the Church Yard filled with a bunch of us. Debneys, Debnams, Debnaums, etc. My late father, Dr. Thomas Debney, was a member of the Friends of Saffron Walden Church for a number of years and did family history research there in the late 1960s.

Good luck with the collection.

Kindest regards

Richard Debney
Chanada
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by Chanada »

Welcome to Stampboards, PaulH !
Collecting Canada up to 2000 and world : cats, big cats, geology. And some art and birds :)
patcoate

Post by patcoate »

Hi, all. Thank you allowing me to join! I live near Dallas and have become enthralled with stamp collecting. I am a history buff, enjoy treasure hunting, and like art — so this hobby feels perfect for me. I collect early Russia, Japan, and every type of old US. Look forward to getting to know everyone.
Philexx

Post by Philexx »

Welcome Pat in Dallas :D

Be great if you post up some of your treasures when you have time.
Join the Stampboards Monthly Cover Exchanges
RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Welcome to new Stampboarders:
Richard = ZIGGIES in Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
Wikipedia says Scottsdale is 12 miles east of Phoenix
Paul = PaulH in Saffron Walden, Essex, UK
Wikipedia says Saffron Walden is 15 miles south of Cambridge and 43 miles north of London
My wife and I have had excellent visits to Indonesia in the early 1990s: about a week in Yogyakarta (with a memorable visit to Borobudur), and on another occasion a wonderful week in Ubud, where we were based out of town in a guest house amid the ricefields. Both experiences were delightful, and culturally enriching.

Oskar12

Post by Oskar12 »

Hi All-

I'm from Southern California, USA and after a very long hiatus, I'm jumping back into stamp collecting. My last experience with this was as a kid with an Harris World Album and collecting "whatever"... a friend later got me into US First Day Covers and I did that for awhile. Unfortunately, everything disappeared at some point.

Anyway, I'm looking to collect French issues, probably cutting off somewhere around 1960; the 1940-48 years have caught my eye, especially the liberation issues (reflecting my history interests) so maybe I'll work on that. There's a bewildering amount of choices for albums and the like and it seems you can even print your own if you want. Right now I've ordered a stock book so I'll use that until I decide how to proceed.

The whole hingeless thing is interesting- memories of wrestling with stamp mounts... :D

Anyway, I hope to learn and avoid making mistakes... :D
Adam Lid

Return to “Roll Call -- This Thread MUST be your *FIRST* Port Of Call here!”