Share stamps and covers featuring microscopes/microscopists

Whether we own them or not we all love LOOKING at philatelic Gems and goodies. Add your favourites today. Add your comments WHY this stamp or cover or item is superb or unusual. Or lift them from an auction site to share with other members, if that does not breach their copyright notice.

Moderators: Justin, snaws, Volunteer Moderator Team

Malaya
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Share stamps and covers featuring microscopes/microscopists

Post by Malaya »

Microscopy is an extremely fascinating and diverse discipline with regards to both the hidden universe that microscopes reveal, and the microscopes that explore the hidden universe.

The elaborate optical and mechanical contraptions, the beautiful and otherworldly structures of the microcosmos, and the famous personalities who were involved, have been a treasure trove of ideas and imagery for stamp designs from pictorials to portraiture.

As a lover of both stamps and microscopes I thought it would be nice to have a virtual collection of microscopy-related stamps and covers. This topic is for everyone to post and write about his/her material. If you specifically collect microscopy-themed stamps, please share your stories too.

Several microscopy-related stamps have already been posted in the science themed covers & stamps topic;

I quote them below for completeness.

Meanwhile here's a nice one for the first post:

West Germany 1968 commemorating 100 years of scientific microscope-building which began with Ernst Abbe and Carl Zeiss.
West Germany 1968 commemorating 100 years of scientific microscope-building which began with Ernst Abbe and Carl Zeiss.
Last edited by Global Administrator on 05 Jul 2021 22:25, edited 1 time in total.
Malaya

Re: Share your stamps and covers featuring microscopes/microscopy/microscopists

Post by Malaya »

clif hiker wrote: 30 Sep 2012 07:16 Image
enjoy the juxtaposition of the microscope with the telescope ... and on a Zeiss cover (well ... they ARE Zeiss stamps after all)
Malaya

Post by Malaya »

clif hiker wrote: 15 Oct 2012 02:37 Saar 1949; microscope and Saarland University

Malaya

Post by Malaya »

nethryk wrote: 25 Apr 2013 23:44 Surgical asepsis, or sterile technique, prevents contamination of an open wound, serves to isolate the operative area from the non-sterile environment, and maintains a sterile field for surgery. Octave Terrillon (1844-1895) developed surgical asepsis in his clinic in Paris. Here is an image of a stamp featuring a portrait of Dr. Terrillon, a microscope, an autoclave, and some sterile surgical instruments, designed and engraved by Claude Hertenberger, and issued by France on April 13, 1957, Scott No. 823, Y&T No. 1097, plus a photo of Terrillon on a card postmarked on the first day of issue of the stamp.

- nethryk

Image Image
Malaya

Post by Malaya »

nethryk wrote: 19 Jul 2013 01:52 Giovanni Battista Grassi (1854-1925) was an Italian zoologist, known for his work demonstrating that mosquitoes carry the malaria parasite Plasmodium in their digestive tract, on the embryological development of honey bees, on parasites, particularly the vine parasite phylloxera, migrations and metamorphosis in eels, and on termites. Here is an image of a stamp featuring a portrait of Battista Grassi, a microscope and a mosquito, designed by Italian artist Renato Mura, printed by photogravure, and issued by Italy on November 19, 1955 to commemorate the 30th anniversary of Grassi's death, Scott No. 701, plus a photograph of the scientist circa 1892.

- nethryk

Image Image
Malaya

Post by Malaya »

nethryk wrote: 26 Nov 2013 02:28 Here is an image of a stamp depicting French chemist and microbiologist Louis Pasteur (1822-1895) at work with a microscope in his laboratory, designed and engraved by Jacques Combet, and issued by Gabon on May 15, 1972 to commemorate the 150th anniversary of Pasteur's birth, Scott No. 290, plus a photographic portrait of the scientist by French photographer Nadar (the pseudonym of Gaspard-Félix Tournachon, 1820-1910).

- nethryk

ImageImage
Malaya

Post by Malaya »

nethryk wrote: 26 Feb 2014 01:14 Here are images of the two stamps in a set publicizing the fight against leprosy (now referred to as Hansen's Disease) and assistance for lepers, designed and engraved by Jacques Combet, and issued by Senegal on January 30, 1965, Scott Nos. 240 & 241.

- nethryk

Microscope, slide and medical examination of a child

Leprosarium, Peycouk Village
Malaya

Post by Malaya »

nethryk wrote: 21 Jul 2014 02:06 Georgios ("George") Nikolaou Papanicolaou (1883-1962) was a Greek pioneer in cytopathology and early cancer detection, and the inventor of the Papanicolaou ("Pap") test method for cervical screening. Here is an image of a stamp depicting Dr. Papanicolaou working with a microscope, designed by American artist Paul Calle (1928-2010), engraved by Joseph S. Creamer, Jr. (vignette) and Robert G. Culin, Sr. (lettering), and issued by the USA on May 18, 1978, Scott No. 1754, plus a photo of George Papanicolaou.

- nethryk

ImageImage
Malaya

Post by Malaya »

nethryk wrote: 06 Dec 2014 02:30 Adolfo Lutz (1855-1940) was a Brazilian physician called "the father of tropical medicine and medical zoology" in Brazil, and a pioneer epidemiologist and researcher in infectious diseases. Here is an image of an engraved stamp featuring a portrait of Dr. Lutz and depicting a microscope, printed on granite paper, and issued by Brazil on December 18, 1955 to commemorate the scientist's birth centenary, Scott No. 830, plus a photograph of Adolfo Lutz.

- nethryk

ImageImage
Malaya

Post by Malaya »

nethryk wrote: 04 Jul 2015 01:41 Microscope, homes, red cross and bugs, designed by Mexican artist Joana Bielchowsky de Aguirre (1950- ), printed by lithography, and issued by Brazil on August 5, 1980 for "National Health Day" and to publicize the campaign against Chagas disease, Scott No. 1798. Note: Chagas disease, named after the Brazilian physician Carlos Chagas (1879-1934) who discovered the disease in 1909, is caused by the parasite Trypanosoma cruzi, which is transmitted to animals and people by insect vectors and is found only in the Americas (mainly, in rural areas of Latin America where poverty is widespread).

- nethryk

Eli
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: Share your stamps and covers featuring microscopes/microscopists

Post by Eli »

Great Subject!! About 25-30 years ago, I collected for a short time stamps about Malaria and I still keep the album. There are several nice stamps show microscope in this collection and here I picked several of them from it and from my other collections:

For the protection of the Indigenous Children, engraved by Charles Mazelin and issued for use in Cameroun on June 22, 1942:

Cameroon 1942 Child Protection.jpg

Ilya Ilyich Mechnikov (Elie Metchnikoff, 1845 – 1916), a Russian Imperial zoologist best known for his pioneering research in immunology, designed by J. Combet, engraved by Jean Pheulpin and issued by France on June 25, 1966:

France 1966 Metchnikoff.jpg

Harvey Washington Wiley (1844 – 1930), the first commissioner of the United States Food and Drug Administration, issued by the USA on June 27, 1956 to mark the 50th anniversary of the Food and Drug Laws:

USA 1956 FDA.jpg

Microscope and Malaria parasite infected RBC, issued by Cuba on December 14, 1962 to publicize the UN anti-Malaria Campaign:

Cuba 1962 Malaria.jpg

Microscope and Malaria parasite infected RBC, issued by Brunei on December 17, 1988 to mark the 40th anniversary of the WHO:

Brunei 1988 Malaria.jpg

And this set is from my monkey stamps collection. It issued by Guinea on August 24, 1983 to commemorate centenary of Mycobacterium tuberculosis discovery by Robert Koch (1882). Two of the stamps show microscope:

Guinea 1982 Tuberculosis.jpg

Is this thread for microscope stamps only or can I post stamps show objects seen through microscope?
Malaya

Post by Malaya »

Eli wrote: 06 Jul 2021 01:24 Is this thread for microscope stamps only or can I post stamps show objects seen through microscope?
Yes, stamps showing objects seen through microscope are welcome too - that's the "microscopy" part of the topic title actually.

Nice scans, they show a wide range of interesting design styles and cultural settings!
Malaya

Post by Malaya »

Malaya wrote: 06 Jul 2021 01:46
Eli wrote: 06 Jul 2021 01:24 Is this thread for microscope stamps only or can I post stamps show objects seen through microscope?
Yes, stamps showing objects seen through microscope are welcome too - that's the "microscopy" part of the topic title actually.
I noticed that the main topic title at the top has been changed from "microscopes/microscopy/microscopists" to "microscopes/microscopists".

Could I suggest reinstating the word "microscopy", as the original intention was to include stamps showing microscopical concepts, such as optical diagrams, as well as objects seen through microscopes. These really fall under "microscopy", while "microscopes" mean complete instruments and "microscopists" refer to people.
jps55liquefy

Post by jps55liquefy »

One of these stamps commemorating World Health Day, with art by Sergio Baradat (born 1963), depicts a microscope.

Stamps from United Nations New York Geneva Vienna World Health Day Sergio Baradat Microscope 6 April 2018
Stamps from United Nations New York Geneva Vienna World Health Day Sergio Baradat Microscope 6 April 2018
Eli

Post by Eli »

Several Old Microscopes used by Scientists:

Kliment Arkadievich Timiryazev (1843 – 1920), a Russian botanist and physiologist, issued by the USSR on June 1, 1940 to mark the 20th death anniversary of Timiryazev:

USSR 1940 Timiryazev 3.jpg

Ilya Ilyich Mechnikov (Elie Metchnikoff, 1845 – 1916), issued by the USSR on November 27, 1945 to mark his 100th birth anniversary:

USSR 1945 Metchnikoff.jpg

Darwin's Microscope and microscopic creatures seen through light microscope, issued by Falkland Islands on July 5, 1982 to mark the 100th death anniversary of Charles Darwin (1809-1882), and the 150th Anniversary of Darwin's Voyage:

Falkland Islands 1982 Darwin Voyages 2.jpg
figmente
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by figmente »

Cancer research
Cancer research
Eli

Post by Eli »

Several stamps show using of microscope by lab workers and students:

Anti-Malaria campaign, OP stamp issued by Guinea on February 23, 1962:

Guinea 1962 Malaria.jpg

Protection of the Child, issued by Nicaragua on September 25, 1973:

Nicaragua 1973 Lab.jpg

International Year of the Woman, issued by Rwanda on September 15, 1975:

Rwanda 1975 IWY.jpg

Rehabilitation in DDR, issued by East Germany (DDR) on June 26, 1979;

Germany East 1979 Rehabilitation.jpg

15th Anniversary DDR, issued by East Germany (DDR) on October 6, 1964:

Germany East 1964 Independence.jpg
Eli

Post by Eli »

Electron Microscope, issued by East Germany (DDR) on July 2, 1975 to commemorate the 275th anniversary of the Academy of Science:

Germany East 1975 Science.jpg

100 years Carl-Zeiss-Foundation, Jena, issued by East Germany (DDR) on May 16, 1989:
Carl Zeiss (1816 – 1888) was a German scientific instrument maker, optician and businessman who founded the workshop of Carl Zeiss in 1846, which is still in business today as Carl Zeiss AG. Stamps show (left) Interference microscope, "JENAVAL Interphako" and (right) Twice-coordinates-gauge ZKM 01-250 C.

Interference microscopy involving measurements of differences in the path between two beams of light that have been split. A coordinate measuring machine (CMM) is a device that measures the geometry of physical objects by sensing discrete points on the surface of the object with a probe. Various types of probes are used in CMMs, including mechanical, optical, laser, and white light.

Germany East 1989 Zeiss.jpg
Stamp_fun
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by Stamp_fun »

A few used stamps with an image of microscope. More information on these stamps from knowledgeable members are appreciated.

Two identical stamps from DDR, a 5th anniversary ?

DDR stamp 40f engraved
DDR stamp 40f engraved
DDR stamp 40f
DDR stamp 40f

A stamp from Ceylon re. technology and development ?

Ceylon stamp 60c
Ceylon stamp 60c
Malaya

Re: Share stamps and covers featuring microscopes/microscopy/microscopists

Post by Malaya »

Thanks everyone for contributing such diverse stamp designs and countries.

I just came across these two collections of microscopy on stamps on the UK microscopy portal:

Stamps and Microscopes

Further Microscopy on Stamps - Electron Microscopes

They also show microscopy-related cancels and cachets. Besides scans, they list publications on the subject.

But it seems that they don't have some of the stamps posted on this Stampboards thread. So I guess we have the most "complete" one-stop reference for microscopy stamps!

There are more out there, as I gather from a Google search. But unfortunately I don't own any of them. Please post if you have any.
briggia
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Re: Share stamps and covers featuring microscopes/microscopists

Post by briggia »

Great idea for a Stampboards topic.

Before I completely changed career direction and had a career in the 'commercial' world, I worked in the life sciences - specifically microbiology and then pharmaceutical research.

The microscope was an essential piece of equipment in many aspects of this part of my career.

I've a small, but growing, collection of stamps and covers that feature the different areas of the microscopy theme.

I hope that you enjoy them as I show them.

First, and certainly in no particular order:

Ghana 1968. Issue commemorating 25 years of the Cocoa Research Institute.
microscopy scans ghana set 0108_2021.jpg

Ghana 13th March 1968 set 4, 25 year anniversary of the Cocoa Research Institute. Printed by Harrison & Sons (photogravure), perf 14¾ x 14.

microscopy scans 1967 Cocoa Research ghana set 25Np detail 0108_2021.jpg
Detail of the top value in the set 25 pesewa (Np) showing microscope and cocoa pod and beans.

Each sheet had the same border design. The stamps shown here are from the bottom righthand corner of the sheet. I'll post the complete sheets when I have some.

Cheers

briggia
Whilst growing my usage collection, I also collect other stuff.
briggia

Post by briggia »

staying with Africa.....

South Africa 1981, 10th July, issued a commemorative stamp to honour 50 years of the National Cancer Association

microscopy scan RSA 1981 Cancer Research Association 5c strip 5.jpg
Strip 5 from the bottom of the sheet showing the date of issue and the cmyk colour reference blocks. Design: Norman Hanna

The National Cancer Association was established in 1931 to set up cancer centres and clinics where optimal treatments and diagnostic methods could be investigated. The association changed its name to CANSA (Cancer Association of South Africa) in 1990 and celebrated its 85 years in 2016.

Cheers

briggia
Firewolf

Post by Firewolf »

On 13 March 1954 Austria issued a series of six stamps about health care.
The 70g + 15g stamp depicts a doctor with a microsope.
Mi 1000. ANK 1009.

Austria 1954 - ANK 1009 - Mi 1000 - doctor with microscope
Austria 1954 - ANK 1009 - Mi 1000 - doctor with microscope
briggia

Post by briggia »

'The World United Against Malaria'

Mexico 1962, 7th April
microscopy scan Mexico 1962 50 percent.jpg
Malaria eradication issue, Mexico 1962. Top left sheet corner stamp.

This stamp was issued as part of a world-wide philatelic programme coordinated by WHO during 1962 and 1963. During this period 262 stamps were issued by 101 countries and territories under the heading 'The World United Against Malaria'

(Incidentally, in 1939 Mexico was the first country to issue a stamp on the theme of malaria.)

I don't yet have a handle on how many of these 262 stamps feature a microscope. But when I do I'll post an update.

Cheers

briggia
Firewolf

Post by Firewolf »

Egypt, 30 September 1998. 100th Anniversary of the chemistry administration.
Mi 1960, SW 1481.

Egypt - 1998 - Chemistry
Egypt - 1998 - Chemistry
OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Stamp_fun wrote: 12 Jul 2021 19:06 A few used stamps with an image of microscope. More information on these stamps from knowledgeable members are appreciated.

Two identical stamps from DDR, a 5th anniversary ?

ImageImage
These are from the famous (infamous?) "5 Year Plan" series. The one without the Designer's and Engraver's names is from the first 1953 series (Mi375) and the one with the mark from the second (Mi418). However, these are likely to be later "pre-cancelled" reprints.
briggia

Post by briggia »

Firewolf wrote: 01 Aug 2021 20:26 Egypt, 30 September 1998. 100th Anniversary of the chemistry administration.
Mi 1960, SW 1481.

Been wondering about the design of this one as not many chemists use microscopes - turns out that the Chemistry Organisation has a microbiology department as well as chemistry.....

Cheers

briggia
briggia

Post by briggia »

Leipzig Autumn Fair 1955

Two stamps were issued to commemorate this event. One of them featured a microscope.

microscopy scans DDR 1955 10_50pc.jpg
DDR 1955 (MiNr 479) Leipzig Autumn Fair - Messe Halle II/III (Exhibition Halls)

microscopy scans DDR 1955 20_50pc.jpg
DDR 1955 (MiNr 480) Leipzig Autumn Fair - Madler-Passage (used as an additional exhibition space for wines, leather goods and porcelain.)

The Leipzig Fair can trace its history back to the Middle Ages, 1165. It assumed significant importance during the Cold War years and I am sure it was the setting for many a clandestine meeting....

Cheers

briggia
briggia

Post by briggia »

Japan, 1979, commemorative stamp issued to mark the 100th Anniversary Quarantine System in Japan.

microscopy scans Japan 1979_40pc.jpg
Japan 1979 (MiNr 1393) 100th Anniversary Quarantine System

In 1879 Japan imposed maritime quarantine at the port of Busan (now South Korea) in an attempt to kerb the ever increasing rate of cholera outbreaks in the region.

The microscope featured in the bottom righthand corner of the stamp is, I suspect, a nod to the control of infectious diseases that the maritime quarantine rules were put in place to deal with (then and now.)

Cheers

briggia
Eli

Post by Eli »

More and more microscopes:

The 6th African Congress of Micropaleontology, issued by Tunisia on March 21, 1974:

Tunisia 1974 Micropaleontology.jpg

The 75th Anniversary of the Institute of Medical Research, issued by Malaysia on February 6, 1976. This stamp dedicated to Malaria diagnosis but I can't understand the design on the background, it is not RBC since it contains cell organelles and content missing in RBC like nucleus, mitochondrion and chromosomes. It could be different things (not one cell) seen through microscope including parasite infected RBC:

Malaysia.jpg

Anti-Malaria Campaign, issued by Paraguay on May 23, 1962:

Paraguay 1962 Malaria.jpg

The above stamp is one in a set of 20 stamps and two SS's. Twelve of them and the two SS's are with same design of the microscope (note that the imperforate stamps are with different colors, hence they are different stamps). Here is a photo of the complete set I took with my cellphone, hence the low resolution:

Paraguay 1962 Malaria Com.jpg
Stamp_fun

Post by Stamp_fun »

OldDuffer1 wrote: 02 Aug 2021 00:03
These are from the famous (infamous?) "5 Year Plan" series. The one without the Designer's and Engraver's names is from the first 1953 series (Mi375) and the one with the mark from the second (Mi418). However, these are likely to be later "pre-cancelled" reprints.
Thank you very much, OldDuffer1 ! I have a few stamps from this "5 Year Plan" series, may be all of them are unauthorized pre-cancelled reprints. I am happy to have them as they are gift from a friend :)
briggia

Post by briggia »

1981 International Year of Disabled

USA 1981 issued 29th June.

This issue not only features a microscope but has the added bonus of featuring a microscopist too. According to the designer (Martha Perske) she based the figure in the stamp on a real person. A genuine two-pointer :lol:

First shown is a single stamp of the issue. Then a block four with 'traffic lights.' The block four has quite a dramatic colour shift to the right of the cyan, black and grey. This is not only evident on the four stamps, the colour shift can also be seen in the colour bars that are immediately adjacent to the top left corner stamp.

microscopy scans USA 18c single disabled microscope 40pc.jpg
USA 1981 International Year of the Disabled SG 1925, Yvert 1349, Michel 1497

microscopy scans USA 1981 18c block 4 disabled microscope 40pc.jpg
USA 1981 International Year of the Disabled: block 4 with colour shift error (shift right)

I don't possess Scott so I can't check to see if this error is listed at all.

Cheers

brigga
briggia

Post by briggia »

Brazil 1992

SENAI Serviço Nacional de Aprendizagem Industrial (National Service for Industrial Training)

microscopy scans Brazil 1992 40pc.jpg
Brazil, 1992 issued 5th August to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the establishment of SENAI

According to their website: "Since its creation in 1942, 55 million professionals have graduated from SENAI. Currently, SENAI’s 809 mobile and fixed operational units throughout the country receive more than 2.5 million applications for around 3 thousand courses that prepare workers for 28 industrial areas.

SENAI also operates a certified network of 208 laboratories that offer technical and technological services to companies throughout the country."

Cheers

briggia
briggia

Post by briggia »

Republic of Dahomey 1973

100th anniversary of the discovery of the leprosy bacillus (bacteria)

microscopy scans Dahomey 30pc.jpg
Republic of Dahomey 1973 (Michel 511, Yvert 319, SG 492) commemorating the 100th anniversary of the discovery of the leprosy bacteria by Dr Gerhard Hansen.

Dr Gerhard Hansen (1841-1912) was a Norwegian physician who identified the bacteria Mycobacterium leprae as the cause of leprosy in 1873.

Until I read up on this I assumed that the good Dr Hansen had worked in Africa, or India, and made the discovery there. No. Apparently Norway had quite the leprosy 'problem' in the 1800s and he made the discovery in Bergen.

Cheers

briggia
Malaya

Post by Malaya »

Some nice microscopy material from the thematic exhibiting on blood thread:
Canada stamper wrote: 07 Aug 2021 07:22 Here is one example of the re-ordering I did in Chapter 1, where I talk about the types and function of cells in the blood:

CANPEX 2019 version:

Issues with these pages:
- too many meter stamps on the second page
- microscopy-related items are on first and third page
- the closed microscope variety on the third page doesn't have any thematic text that ties it to the story

You could also argue that the booklet on the first page is redundant as there is no thematic text tied to it that is not already illustrated by the items above it.

In the current version, I've reordered the text to discuss all the microscropy-related ideas on the first page (repurposing the Mexico stamp from elsewhere in the exhibit) while tying in the microscope variety, regrouped items on the second page along with a new meter to consolidate the text about oxygen delivery by red cells, and replaced the gas exchange page with a new page that expands on the idea of needing an ambulance if there is an interruption in oxygen delivery. The text flows more chronologically now.

The final page also has a new philatelic element - an ambulance cover used to deliver a badly-burned cover recovered from a plane crash (also shown). This is a much better (and more creative) way to illustrate an ambulance that the meter stamp I used in the previous version of the exhibit.
Eli

Post by Eli »

Two stamps, from Solomon Islands and Brunei, show microscope, each issued in a set publicizing the Malaria eradication campaign. In each set, there is one other stamp shows taking blood sample on glass slide for microscopic analysis:

Malaria Eradication, issued by Solomon Islands on July 27, 1977:

Solomon Islands 1977 Malaria Microscope.jpg

Solomon Islands 1977 Malaria.jpg

40th anniversary of WHO, issued by Brunei on December 17, 1988:

Brunei 1988 Malaria Microscope.jpg

Brunei 1988 Malaria.jpg
Eli

Post by Eli »

Tiny microscope on a stamp issued to publicize the Anti Malaria campaign, issued by Nigeria on April 7, 1962:

Nigeria 1962 Malaria.jpg

Microscope and flag of Ethiopia, issued by Ethiopia on November 6, 1967 to publicize the 2nd international conference on global impacts of applied microbiology held in Addis Ababa:

Ethiopia 1967 Microbiology.jpg
Eli

Post by Eli »

The 2nd Women Congress, issued by East Germany (DDR) of on May 28, 1969:

Germany DDR 1969 Congres.jpg
Malaya

Post by Malaya »

Thanks everyone for posting. This thread is like an encyclopedia of microscope design!

I notice that many of the microscope designs on the stamps have objectives that look like the part where the cow's milk comes out, when the rest of the microscope is otherwise very nice. I think they should have made more effort on the turret/nosepiece!
Eli

Post by Eli »

Sir Arnold Theiler (1867 – 1936), "father of veterinary science in South Africa", and his old microscope, issued by SA on October 9, 1991:

South Africa 1991 Arnold Theoler.jpg

South Africa 1991 Scientists.jpg
kelliegirl33

Post by kelliegirl33 »

Date of Issue: 22/11/1982
Denomination: 10 Fr
Perforations: 14½
Sheet Size:
# Issued: None
Design:
Height/Width:
Theme: Health/Diseases/Tuberculosis

Robert Koch discovered the anthrax bacterium, and was the first to describe how it was transmitted. His findings were published in 1876, and were so well received that he was called to Berlin to work as the head of the Imperial Health Office, where he successfully isolated the bacterium that causes tuberculosis. He was the first person in history to identify a disease-causing microorganism and was rewarded for his work with the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine in 1905.
AMK-i.jpg
Malaya

Post by Malaya »

Thanks again for all the nice stamps. It really tempts me to make an actual collection!

Interestingly, my country (Singapore) does not have a stamp with a microscope on it as far as I know - despite the country's focus on biomedical life sciences and all that.

It is true, though, that the latest microscopes used in that sector are clunky and not visually appealing - like TIRF and light sheet microscopes. Or perhaps the designers assessed that the public wouldn't appreciate micrographs of fluorescent cells.
Malaya

Post by Malaya »

Here's one commemorating Edmond Locard, who started the first scientific police lab in Lyon in 1910.
France postage stamp 2016 Edmond Locard microscopy microscope sherlock holmes
France postage stamp 2016 Edmond Locard microscopy microscope sherlock holmes

More details in this article on the website of the McCrone group which specializes in forensic analysis.
Malaya

Post by Malaya »

One more article about electron microscopes/microscopy on stamps:
https://thomaspjohnston.wordpress.com/2016/03/25/electron-microscopes/
Malaya

Post by Malaya »

This one doesn't seem to have appeared yet - Canada 5c issue for International Geophysical Year 1957-1958.
Screenshot 2022-05-28 at 12.29.19.png
Eli

Post by Eli »

Happy to see this thread still active since I have found two new stamps with microscope from Togo and from Gilbert and Ellice Islands. Here is the first from Togo issued on october 24, 1961 to publicize the U.N. Economic Commission on Africa:
Togo 1961 Economy 3.jpg
Eli

Post by Eli »

25th anniversary of the UN, issued for use in Gilbert and Ellice Islands on June 26, 1970:
Gilbert and Ellice 1970 Tuberculosis.jpg
Last edited by Eli on 30 May 2022 04:51, edited 1 time in total.
Eli

Post by Eli »

25th anniversary of the UN, issued for use in Gilbert and Ellice on June 26, 1970:
Gilbert and Ellice 1970 Tuberculosis.jpg
Moderator, please delete this post, thanks
Eli

Post by Eli »

Cancer Research in Israel, issued by Israel on December 14, 1966:
Israel 1966 Cancer.jpg
Microscope on Israeli banknote of 10 Lirot from 1958:
Israel 10 Lirot 1958 F.jpg
Eli

Post by Eli »

Here is a nice one from the occupations definitive set issued by Czechoslovakia on May 15, 1954:
Czechoslovakia 1954 Occupations 8.jpg

Return to “Share with others here your NICE looking stamp and cover images etc.”