How to soak and clean self adhesive & peel and stick stamps!

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: How to soak and clean self adhesive & peel and stick stamps!

Post by Global Administrator »

Very interesting presentation!

Glen
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
norvic
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: Self-adhesive Stamp Production Explained

Post by norvic »

Arnie Janson wrote: 22 May 2022 15:39 In addition to explaining the 4-layer construction of self-adhesive stamps and their production steps, it highlights options for die-cutting and formats. The final slide features a “Mystery Message”. Can you decipher it??

Comments are welcome…. I am interested to hear from collectors in other countries if they are able to soak off self-adhesive stamps. If not, the manufacturer is not including the "release agent". I can understand why some postal administrations do not want people to soak off stamps - especially if they are not cancelled. :)

This is the 2nd in a series of presentations delivered at the virtual meetings of the International Stamp Club of New York City. If interested, see earlier post "Offset Lithographic Stamp Production Explained"

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
It might be worth mentioning to readers here, and the original presenter of this, that British stamps have not had the 'release agent' on self-adhesive stamps for 13 years now, since 2009, and many US stamps are very problematic when it comes to soaking.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock before Royal Mail burn them all, singles, booklets, booklet panes, regionals - lists here: or email/DM your general needs and I'll let you know whether it's worth sending a wants list.
Arnie Janson
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by Arnie Janson »

Thanks for the feedback on British Stamps. The United States Postal Service changed their rules in 2006 removing the requirement that self-adhesive stamps could be soaked off.

What is the experience in other countries? Self-adhesives certainly are the way of the future.

Canada Post also offers all mint self-adhesive stamps (definitives and commems) individually die-cut specifically for collectors. These are only available in the "Quarterly Packs" that Canada Post issues; for sale in both post offices and the Canada Post Website. Perfect for collectors of mint singles. Is this practice followed by other postal administrations?
Focussing on used Canadian varieties including: postal history, re-entries, misplaced entries, missing colours, pre-printing creases, mis-perfs, printing flaws, etc.
norvic

Post by norvic »

It’s not necessary here in the UK because our sheets of self-adhesive stamps are designed for postal use and to be sold as single stamps at post offices.

Thus they have gaps between the stamps and usually the backings paper is rouletted.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock before Royal Mail burn them all, singles, booklets, booklet panes, regionals - lists here: or email/DM your general needs and I'll let you know whether it's worth sending a wants list.
Battyrat
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by Battyrat »

So far I have never had any problems with soaking off any German self adhesive stamps with warm or cold water.

They can take a bit of time compared to the sheet stamps but will eventually separate quite easy from the paper, often with the gum peeling off on its own. Occasionally you have to gently tease the gum off with the tweezers but they nearly always come clean. No other messing around needed apart from drying and pressing. 8-)
Loves to collect Lundy Island and 12 miles as straight as the Puffin flies South East another little island called England.
norvic

Post by norvic »

That's how it used to be with British stamps; so easy to re-use when Royal Mail failed to cancel them.
Bijoy
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by Bijoy »

The Swedish, Finnish and Irish SA stamps pose a challenge. They do however come off cleanly with a solvent.
There may be other countries with similar problems, I have tried the above three since I collect those.
Nordic Countries Recent Issues [Finland, Norway, Sweden, Iceland, Greenland] and Thematic Meters
My Wishlist :: My Swaplist
ole
Stampboards one post *NEWBIE*!
Stampboards one post *NEWBIE*!

Re: Hagaron stamp removal fluid - where to get it?

Post by ole »

I easily found the patent application.

1. Go to https://ppubs.uspto.gov/pubwebapp/
2. Enter "hagaron peel" in the search field
3. Change default operator from OR to AND
4. Click "Search"
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Arnie Janson wrote: 23 May 2022 08:39
Thanks for the feedback on British Stamps. The United States Postal Service changed their rules in 2006 removing the requirement that self-adhesive stamps could be soaked off.

What is the experience in other countries? Self-adhesives certainly are the way of the future.

Similar for Australia sadly.
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
ViccyVFU

How to soak and clean self adhesive & peel and stick stamps!

Post by ViccyVFU »

Re: Hagaron stamp removal fluid - where to get it?
ole wrote: 03 Aug 2022 13:43 I easily found the patent application.

1. Go to https://ppubs.uspto.gov/pubwebapp/
2. Enter "hagaron peel" in the search field
3. Change default operator from OR to AND
4. Click "Search"

Just to be clear for everyone reading through this thread at a later date, Hagaron is a traditional gummed stamp removal fluid, akin to "Stamp Lift".

It is NOT suitable for self adhesives.

The patent, from April 1969, explains the chemistry behind it ....
US Patent Office wrote:
(1) 3,441,509 STRIPPING SOLUTIONl Keisho Aoki, Tokyo, Japan, assignor to Hagaron Co., Ltd., Tokyo, Japan No Drawing. Filed Feb. 21, 1966, Ser. No. 528,763 Int. Cl. Clld I1/86 U.S. Cl. 252-161 1 'Claim

ABSTRACT OF THE DISCLOSURE

(2) An agent for stripping an affix, such as a postage stamp, from a substrate to which it adheres, is constituted by an aqueous solution of alkylbenzenesulfonate or a mixture thereof with "polyoxyethylene alkylphenol ether, together with alum (to prevent color blurring of a printing ink), at a pH of 7 to 9.

(3) This invention relates to a quick-acting stripping solution composed essentially of an anionic surface active agent or of a mixture thereof with a nonionic surface active agent.'

(4) In particular, the composition of the invention is characterized in that it is composed essentially of alkylbenzene sulfonate with or without admixture of polyoxy- ethylene alkylphenol ether, and an agent for preventing color blurring of printing ink, e.g., alum, added thereto and dissolved altogether in water, with the "pH of the resulting composition adjusted to a range of 7 to 9.

(5) The invention is described in more detail with reference to an example thereof. To 100% of water, alkylbenzene sulfonate of the formula wherein R represents an alkyl radical most preferably having 12 to 16 carbon atoms with or without admixture of polyoxyethylene ,alkyiphenol ether of the formula 2 wherein R represents an alkyl radical most preferably having 12 to 14 carbon atoms is added in an amount of or in a combined amount of 1 to 5%, and 0.01 to 0.1% of alum and a little amount of flavor are added, and the pH of the solution is adjusted to a range of 7 to 9.

(6) In order to peel off paper sheets such as postage stamps pasted on surfaces with starch or vinyl paste, it has been the general practice to dip them in water or expose them to steam so as to dissolve the adhesive in water. Such procedures cause much inconveniences because they take much time, cause trouble, and may invite blurring of printing ink.

(7) According to the present invention, "the solution provided is composed essentially of an anionic surface active agent (i.e. alkylbenzene sulfonate) with or without admixture of a nonionic surface active agent (i.e. polyoxy- ethylene alkylphenol ether), and a little amount of an agent for preventing color blurring of printing ink, such as alum, with the pH adjusted to a range of 7 to 9. With such a composition, the solution is very effective for ti e stripping purpose because it most quickly dissolves starch and vinyl pastes and because the anti-blurring agent mixed therein prevents color blurring of the printing ink on the matter to be peeled off.

Claims
1. A stripping solution which is composed essentially of 1 to 5%J of (a) alkylbenzene alkali metal sulfonate wherein the alkyl group contains from 12 to 16 carbon atoms or of (b) a mixture of said sulfonate with polyoxy-ethylene alkylphenol ether wherein the alkyl group contains from 12 to 14 carbon atoms, and 0.01 to 0.1% of alum as an agent for preventing color blurring of printing ink, in solution in water, the pH of the solution being within the range of 7 to 9. References Cited UNITED STATES PATENTS 3,062,749 11/1962 Herdling-----------__252-17 LEON D. ROSDOL, Primary Examiner. B. BETTIS, Assistant Examiner. U.S. Cl. X.R. 45 252-152

Kilowarekid
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by Kilowarekid »

Soaked self-adhesive stamp.
Soaked self-adhesive stamp.
Here is a photo of a recent Irish self-adhesive stamp that I have just soaked off.

The process simply involved just soaking the stamp in warm water for about 5 minutes, same as for a non-adhesive stamp. No issues whatsoever. However from reading the superb contributions here there is no doubt that for some countries it is a huge problem.

I have soaked this way many times with Irish stamps and have not encountered any problems 95% of the time. I do not use lighter fuel or any such chemical, just warm water.
However I now have taken a real shine to the very colourful modern self-adhesive stamps from Japan and I am wondering if anyone has experience of soaking these and if it is easy or difficult.

The main point I am getting from this thread is that it seems to depend on the country. So would anyone has any specific information on soaking self_adhesive stamps from Japan. Thank you.

KK
I love communist stamps for their colour, design and history.
norvic

Post by norvic »

It used to be as easy as you describe for most countries' stamps. Royal Mail made it harder to stop uncancelled stamps being soaked and reused.
Rockyman44

Post by Rockyman44 »

I haven’t had any problems with soaking off modern Japanese stamps; I just use warm water.

Unsoakable modern issues seem to be the norm now from GB, Eire & USA, with many issues from France and Italy also impossible to soak off in water. Probably best to experiment on damaged stamps first to see if they’ll soak.
Collecting worldwide used stamps 1918 - 2000, geology & fossils on stamps
Erinmania

Post by Erinmania »

Commencing with the 2019 Irish Christmas issue one of which is pictured above, Enschede took over the printing of Irish Commemorative stamps including the issue of self adhesives (but excluding all SOAR issues). These all soak off in warm water. Issues by the previous printer Cartor are much more difficult to soak off without damaging or fading the stamp. So soaking off Commemorative Irish issues from 2020 through to current times should not pose a problem.
Kilowarekid

Post by Kilowarekid »

Thank you erinmania for the information, that is most helpful. The last time I tried to soak off an Irish self-adhesive stamp was around 2003 and for the most part it was fine if I remember correctly.

I just thought I would see what a recent issue would be like for soaking. I generally now since 2003 leave the stamp on piece. I don't collect Ireland per se but do so because I can and will sell them off at some stage. I have found that people like kiloware so no point in soaking when I could be looking at the stuff I do collect.

Thanks also to Rockyman, glad that the Japan stamps are good at responding to soaking.

KK
I love communist stamps for their colour, design and history.
sidthestamper
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!

Removing Stamps from the Paper

Post by sidthestamper »

Hi. I have a question for you. And this is not the usual how-to question you get.

I am wondering how to remove or detach a stamp without damaging the paper. Most stamps use water-based gums on their backs and you can easily free them by soaking in cold water.

But for some stamps, that is NOT the case. There are some stamps which CANNOT be detached from the paper no matter how long they are soaked in cold water. (e.g. (attached and many) USA stamps and Ireland stamps) What method do you have to "set them free" :) I do not think spending a big sum of money for a solution is ideal. So I am looking for a affordable option too. Most important factor is not to damage the stamp.
Attachments
USA Forever Stamp
USA Forever Stamp
USA Fruit Stamp
USA Fruit Stamp
Newbie collector from Canada 🍁 🇨🇦
I can be the new home to your unwanted stamps. 🙂 📮 📫
JohnB
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Re: Removing Stamps from the Paper

Post by JohnB »

If you are referring to self-adhesives, this might help:

https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=15259
admin
Site Administrator
Location: That's on a need to know basis - and YOU do not need to know!

Post by admin »

Thread merged. :)
sidthestamper

Post by sidthestamper »

Thank you for the thoughts everyone. Fortunately enough though, Canadian self-ads come off very easily in cold water.

Unfortunately in Canada, Bestine and Pure citrus air freshener are no longer available. So we're left with boiled water and lighter fluid. USA and Ireland stamps are the problem. Not sure about other countries though. Good stamp collectors being affected by 'stamp-thieves' :/ To worsen the case, I ran out of the few US self-ads I had while trying different methods.
Newbie collector from Canada 🍁 🇨🇦
I can be the new home to your unwanted stamps. 🙂 📮 📫
Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

Enamel Paint Thinners, Shellite, Isopropyl Alcohol (Rubbing Alcohol) or White spirits. Try any of them, they all work.

Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"
norvic

Post by norvic »

Allanswood wrote: 26 Aug 2022 09:30 Enamel Paint Thinners, Shellite, Isopropyl Alcohol (Rubbing Alcohol) or White spirits. Try any of them, they all work.

Some stamps will be destroyed by these.

The design of the GB freeform ‘Childrens Classic TV’ from a few years back dissolves in water let alone chemicals.

Stamps of the US in the early 21st century we’re very mixed, and successive issues could range from easy, to takes patience, to don’t put them anywhere near water!.

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”