Question about the Colonial Stamp Company - their grading quality?

A venue to discuss unusual and interesting items being offered. Report and discuss fakes, forgeries, scammers and con-men. Also fee discussion, and low listing fee promos etc. Discuss feedback. Great items for sale. New policies ..... whatever YOU want!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

ohadz
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Question about the Colonial Stamp Company - their grading quality?

Post by ohadz »

Hi,

I have a question. and it's important to state that my knowledge in philately is limited so I don't mean to slander or suggest anything bad about the Colonial stamp company.

I go thru most of the auctions that have British commonwealths in them at stampauctionnetwork.com for years now and I've noticed that in the Colonial stamp company auctions\website lots that are described as XF or GEM don't look like they deserve that grade.

I don't know if maybe they that the photos of the lots in an unflattering way? or there is something I need to know about stamps grading?

thank you!

Ohad
The Pom
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Re: Question about the colonial stamp company

Post by The Pom »

MODERATOR COMMENT

All new threads need a picture. Particularly so in this case. Unless you post some examples of what you feel to be incorrectly graded stamps, the thread is meaningless.

One thing to remember - when Americans describe stamps as XF, Gem etc, this often refers to centering only, not the overall quality of the stamp.

This, for instance, was described as "VF" by a large USA stamp dealer ........

Always on the lookout for Australian pre decimal First Day Covers.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: Question about the Colonial Stamp Company - grading quality.

Post by Global Administrator »

For those who are unaware, this is the train wreck of confused and contradictory posts made by this member ohadz so far -

https://www.stampboards.com/search.php?author_id=27510&sr=posts

So adding no image or examples of what he is now complaining about, is zero surprise at all. Next thread he starts like that, will be his very last here. :!:

He appears to be unable to decide what to invest his millions in, despite studying high-end listings 'for years now' he says, but seems magnetically attracted to overpriced LEMONS, and appears to have no clue about condition or real world value.

Admin
The Pom

Re: Question about the Colonial Stamp Company - their grading quality?

Post by The Pom »

I took the liberty of looking at a few of Colonial's offerings. Can't speak for their grading, but they missed this rather obvious re-perf.....

https://colonialstamps.com/australia-scott-56-gibbons-44-used-stamp/
colonial.jpg
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

What a SHOCKER! :? :shock:

I have a nicer one on my website now for about ONE THIRD that - which is not re-perforated all 4 sides. :roll:
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
The Pom

Post by The Pom »

What about this one? Top looks OK, but the other 3 sides?

Perfs aside, their prices are eye-watering.

https://colonialstamps.com/australia-scott-132-gibbons-143-never-hinged-stamp/

Bridge.jpg
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Yes the same blind nun with her hatpin on the bridge. :roll: :roll:

$A2,275 for a RE-PERFED Bridge? Insane.
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
phrag99
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Post by phrag99 »

George Holschauer, who runs Colonial, collects Tonga, once an interest of mine, so I occasionally bought a stamp from him when I could not find it elsewhere - and almost always at full SG catalogue value.

I declined to bid in his auctions because every stamp offered was listed at full SG cat and so far as I know, he never published realizations. He must sell some of the lots because he’s held auctions regularly for getting on for 30 years, or so.

Anyone attending Stampex next week can tell him to his face about these lots as Colonial will be attending.
steevh
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by steevh »

phrag99 wrote: 22 Sep 2022 04:43 George Holschauer, who runs Colonial, collects Tonga, once an interest of mine, so I occasionally bought a stamp from him when I could not find it elsewhere - and almost always at full SG catalogue value.

I declined to bid in his auctions because every stamp offered was listed at full SG cat and so far as I know, he never published realizations. He must sell some of the lots because he’s held auctions regularly for getting on for 30 years, or so.

Anyone attending Stampex next week can tell him to his face about these lots as Colonial will be attending.
Asking full cat. for your items is a good way to keep a wonderful stock of material that no one else has.

I notice he has advertised heavily in the SG Empire cat. 1840-1870 for many years. So he also has a heavy advertising budget.
HalfpennyYellow

Post by HalfpennyYellow »

Some of their prices are simply absurd.

This badly-faded copy of a Malta 1926 3d stamp - catalogued at £23 in SG (2015), ie. approximately US$25 - is being offered for $150.
Malta 1926 3d Colonial Stamp Company.png
https://colonialstamps.com/Malta-Scott-106-Gibbons-131-Used-Stamp-70682/

Just for reference, a better quality copy sold on eBay recently for a total of £5.15, ie. approximately $5.50:
Malta 1926 3d eBay.png
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275437998404
Collecting worldwide revenue and postage stamps - focusing on Malta, British Commonwealth and revenues in general
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

George is quite a charismatic character. Had dinner with him in Sydney once, and he is a real hoot. 8-)

I suspect he uses the Eric Atkin pricing mode. Which allegedly was, to hand a rare new exotic purchase (and he made 100s/1000s) to 3 staffers and ask them to write down their suggested asking price.

He'd gather up the 3 piece of paper, add them all up, and THAT was his asking price! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Worked well for decades. Eric showed me a unique full sheet of the WA 1854 1d Black Swans MINT once, priced at £500,000 or something crazy. Someone eventually bought it I am sure. Dr. Woo or someone mega wealthy who 'had to own it' etc. Each one of Woo's cars cost more than that. :D

Glen

Return to “All Online Stamp Auction related discussion and overview”