Will Royal Mail issue any Ashes commemorative stamps for 2023?

Stampboards has 1000s of regular readers who WILL take the time to help out even with the most basic question. If you are new to stamps - or taking up the hobby after a long break, there is a lot to learn. PLEASE do not be shy in asking the simplest of questions .. members here will be delighted to help you with the answers!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Rigs
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Will Royal Mail issue any Ashes commemorative stamps for 2023?

Post by Rigs »

To commemorate what you could ask?

At stake is the very ‘Englishness’ of cricket.

‘Bazball’ etc., driven by a failed Kiwi coach.

Ollie Robinson’s ‘F!!k off, F!!k off you prick’

What ails English cricket, that they can’t formulate their own game in the modern era?

Even Stokes was born in New Zealand.

Nothing for RM to commemorate except Root?

Or the ageing Anderson, who was not even offered the new ball on Day 5?

Broad is their best bet, sadly not good enough for this contest.

Overheard by the English Coach:

I’ve got a BAZBALL team, have you?

I’ve got WHO bowling, WHAT batting, and I HAVEN’T A CLUE behind the stumps.

And if anyone drops the Ashes at deep backward square then his name is NATURALLY.

:lol:
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: Will Royal Mail be able to issue any Ashes commemoratives for 2023?

Post by Global Admin »

It is an unfamiliar concept for them, but we can licence them the artwork perhaps? 8-)
il_1588xN.3719933102_ozah.jpg

I was up til 5am watching it this morning. One of the best cricket Test ends I can remember. :!:

Absolutely brilliant and brave captaincy (and batting) from Pat Cummings in that 55 last wicket partnership.

Many would have played for a draw, being 55 down, with only tailenders still left - him included.

Very patient batting, under enormous pressure. A win for the ages. The first like this for over 50 years.

Pat Cummings similarly won a test for Australia in his very first Test for Australia, beating South Africa.

Very enthralling match - do not see many this close. 8-)

TWO more months of this ahead. :)

Compare Cummings to that English 'Captain' Stokes. Who impetuously declared the innings on day one, just when Root had hit 2 sixes in one over. A Dumb move, that even ex UK Cricket Captains have condemned as insane. 20 or 30 more runs from him then, and England clearly would have won the Test.

Stokes then dropped a simple catch at a very crucial time, and then refused to let his fast bowlers take the new ball to nervous tailenders at twilight, or his most experienced bowler to join the attack. A absolute GIMME for team morals at that time that would have also spooked the nervous tailenders.

A total FAIL on all counts from him. Leadership wins matches in all sporting codes. He lost it single handedly for England. As many senior BRIT cricket legends in Britain are agreeing today. Don't ozzie bash us.
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
Rigs

Re: Will Royal Mail be able to issue any Ashes commemoratives for 2023?

Post by Rigs »

The silence above the equator is deafening :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually it sums up why Australia is just better then the UK, full stop?

I guess Stokes and co can comfort themselves by a relaxing day at a pebbly beach …

Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: Will Royal Mail issue any Ashes commemorative stamps for 2023?

Post by Global Admin »

A few million litres of warm beer, and they'll all settle down. :lol:

Dump the impetuous and flawed 'Captain' and coach (both New Zealanders - I mean really - what did they expect?) and they'll be fine in a few years. 8-)
26b8590953bbec7950f6f38fd7f3ba6e.jpg
Capture.JPG
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

A game for the ages.

A statement of English inferiority, Brexit, wacky woke stamps and everything wrong with modern English psyche.

‘Near enough is good enough’, ‘we tried hard and lost’ etc.

Enter Norvic …

lesbootman
I was *ALMOST* online for post number TEN MILLION!

Post by lesbootman »

I imagine that Royal Mail would squeeze a MS or similar into heir already packed new issue schedule if England were to win the Ashes. I can't see them commemorating an Australia win, in the unlikely event that is the final outcome :lol:

Congratulations to Australia for winning what turned out to be an enthralling test match. The nerves would have been there for both sides, even if the players did their best to hide them.

Actually, I suspect England's main crime may be their failure to nurture and develop a test standard spin bowler. That is easier said than done of course.

No disrespect to Moeen, but he hasn't played long format cricket for some years so to expect him to be able to return to the team and work wonders bowling long spells was always optimistic.
Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind!
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

Odd the Brits do not have a decent range of spinners to choose from.

This Moeen had a lacerated spinning finger so absurd to even start him in the team.

He got lucky with one wicket, but no way is that wise in a crucial top end game, to field an injured player.

There must be dozens of other good spinners in the UK.
peterh
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by peterh »

Perhaps I could remind those criticising Ben Stokes for being from New Zealand, that your batting hero in this test, Usman Khawaja, was born in Pakistan.
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

Ben Stokes AND the failed gung-ho coach are both New Zealanders, it must be noted again. :lol:

Remove foreign born athletes from the UK Gold Medal Olympic tally and it gets to be a very short list. 8-) 8-) 8-)
The Pom

Post by The Pom »

Nice to see the Australians among us gracious in victory, as we expect. :lol:
Always on the lookout for Australian pre decimal First Day Covers.
john6625
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by john6625 »

I thought it was a terrific test match which could have gone either way right up to the last 15 minutes of the game. Just hope the whole series produces games like this as it is good for test cricket as a whole.

I also hope that there is not a change in the way the Poms play. It will be up to the bowlers to change their bowling to counter it.

As for Stokes he did a lot right and made some brave calls, and Moeen's finger was injured during the game (admittedly due to a lack of bowling) but I thought Root did an excellent job when required.

Can't wait for the next game.
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

Perhaps Royal Mail will feature the ‘awesome foursome’ in slips.

Rooted and Pope the Dope.

Have they already ‘dropped’ the 2nd test?
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

So if Warner gets to 50 facing this rabble, The Poms are in real trouble this Test, given our batting depth?

Capture.JPG
norvic
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by norvic »

Rigs wrote: 21 Jun 2023 21:06 To commemorate what you could ask?
:lol:
Well to answer your question, Royal Mail did not issue any stamps when England won the Ashes in 2009, 2010-11, 2013 or 2015 so I don't see any need to issue any this time.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock see Modern GB Blog Also almost everything non-GB postal history & postcards I show here is for sale: DM for details.
Mystery Postcard Nos: 265, 290/1/3/4, 304, 310, 320/2/4/7/8, 331/7, 344/6, 353/8, 363/4
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

Australia cruising happily at 339/5, so I doubt there will be any Pommie design think tanks frantically working on an 'ENGLAND ASHES WINNERS' new design. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Glen
norvic

Post by norvic »

Like I said, they did it once, they didn't do it for the FOUR subsequent occasions.

Royal Mail prefer moneymaking subjects that will be sold the world over, rather than to a small number of people in this country and absolutely nobody in Australia.

Iron Maiden 1st class stamp.
Iron Maiden 1st class stamp.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock see Modern GB Blog Also almost everything non-GB postal history & postcards I show here is for sale: DM for details.
Mystery Postcard Nos: 265, 290/1/3/4, 304, 310, 320/2/4/7/8, 331/7, 344/6, 353/8, 363/4
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

norvic wrote: 29 Jun 2023 06:20 Royal Mail prefer moneymaking subjects that will be sold the world over, rather than to a small number of people in this country.
As England are only in the game to entertain (happy to lose by their own admission with Bazball), it appears record TV audiences would contradict your statement:

The Ashes 2023: Sky Sports breaks records in Edgbaston opener, with highest viewing figures for a Test match
First Ashes Test achieves peak audience of 2.12m, highest ever recorded for a Test on Sky Sports; 15.6m page views on Sky Sports app and skysports.com; more than 20m views of Ashes content across Sky Sports social channels;

https://www.skysports.com/cricket/news/12123/12907082/the-as ... test-match
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

norvic wrote: 29 Jun 2023 06:20
Royal Mail prefer moneymaking subjects that will be sold the world over, rather than to a small number of people in this country and absolutely nobody in Australia.

Never heard of a place called INDIA?

This year its population passed that of CHINA. Now the largest country on this planet - population 1.33 BILLION versus Britain's measly 67 million.

And guess what the Number One sport by MILES is in India ............ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And yes ratings of this Test Series have gone through the roof in the UK.

As to the laughable 'Royal Mail prefer moneymaking subjects that will be sold the world over' - they have already totally scraped the bottom of the barrel with these insane recent issues that no-one in the UK bought, much less forrrrreeeeneeeers!

'The World Gurning Championships' and BOG SNORKELLING! (I thought you largely had indoor toilets these days?)

These crazy stamps are for real - I did not photoshop them!

Capture.JPG
norvic

Post by norvic »

Rigs wrote: 29 Jun 2023 10:45
norvic wrote: 29 Jun 2023 06:20 Royal Mail prefer moneymaking subjects that will be sold the world over, rather than to a small number of people in this country.
As England are only in the game to entertain (happy to lose by their own admission with Bazball), it appears record TV audiences would contradict your statement:

The Ashes 2023: Sky Sports breaks records in Edgbaston opener, with highest viewing figures for a Test match
First Ashes Test achieves peak audience of 2.12m, highest ever recorded for a Test on Sky Sports; 15.6m page views on Sky Sports app and skysports.com; more than 20m views of Ashes content across Sky Sports social channels;

https://www.skysports.com/cricket/news/12123/12907082/the-as ... test-match
This has nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with buying souvenir stamps.

After they’ve paid their Sky subscription there wouldn’t be much left for stamps anyway.
lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

Getting back to the original question ....

It is looking increasingly unlikely :lol:
Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind!
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

lesbootman wrote: 29 Jun 2023 18:19 Getting back to the original question ....

Yes - totally agree.

Could Mods please lock this thread now?

With the stunning display of ‘Bazball’ this morning by the English tail, it is fairly clear the OP question has been answered, thanks to all who contributed :lol:
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

lesbootman wrote: 29 Jun 2023 18:19 Getting back to the original question ....

Agree.

However, if they already printed them in advance maybe they can save money, and overprint them with black borders on all sides? 'Mourning Stamps'. Be strong sellers down here for sure. I'll take full sheets for starters. :D

209 runs ahead with 9 wickets in hand now. It is all over for this Test too.
Captureff.JPG
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

Well ... what a weekend of cricket!

And soooooooo much for Royal Mail to commemorate :lol:

Where would they start?

How about a 'The Ashes: Clowns of Cricket' -themed miniature sheet?
download.jpg
Featuring:

Kreepy CRAWLEY
Pluck a DUCKett
ROOTed
POPE the Dope
Sooksy BROOKsy
BlANDERSON
BROAD Fraud
Sad STOKES
TONGUE in Cheek
Redneck ROBINSON
and of course the 'Louts of The LONG ROOM' favourite ... Bumbling BAIRSTOW the Buffoon!

Or, they could just wait until The Oval for their final failed routine of the summer and print a blank sheet: THE WHITEWASH!

Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

Predictably England lost ANOTHER Test.

Well maybe they can use this design for the Mourning Stamp Issue - will sell well to the drunken upper class Lager Louts there in The Long Room at Lords in their stupid striped Wally The Wanker jackets.

In typical Dad's Army bungling shoot in foot style, it has now emerged that this same idiot Bairstow who got stumped for being out of his crease, tried the EXACT same thing to Steve Smith on day 2 of this Innings in this same Test whilst UK wicketkeepter. Being a Brit he was not skilful enough to be able to pull it off, but he sure as hell tried.

2LongRoomShenanigans.jpg

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/jul/02/mcc-unreserved ... land-ashes

MCC suspends three members after clash with Australian cricket team

Mon 3 Jul 2023, 06.43 AEST

The Marylebone Cricket Club has suspended three members after an altercation with the Australian cricket team at Lord’s on the last day of the second Ashes Test.

The club had earlier “unreservedly apologised” over the behaviour of some of its members in the Long Room after the touring side alleged several players were “verbally abused” or “physically contacted” as they returned to the dressing room at lunch.

“They will not be permitted back to Lord’s whilst the investigation takes place,” the MCC said in a statement.

“MCC condemns the behaviour witnessed, and once again we reiterate our apology to Cricket Australia.”

Shortly before the interval, with England on 193 and chasing a distant 371, the England wicketkeeper Jonny Bairstow had been controversially dismissed in a long-range stumping from Alex Carey.

Australia’s players were booed and jeered from the field at lunch, but reaching the Pavilion brought no respite from the chorus of indignation. SkyTV broadcast a few seconds of footage of the players walking through the Long Room, an area only for MCC members and their guests.

England’s batters, Ben Stokes and Stuart Broad, were applauded and cheered, but when the fielding side followed them, the atmosphere turned.

Security was required to hold members back from physically confronting Australia’s players and staff, and both Usman Khawaja and David Warner had to be pulled away from the scene after pausing to engage in heated, finger-pointing debate.

“Australian management has requested the Marylebone Cricket Club investigate several incidents involving spectators in the members area during lunch on day five of the Lord’s Test,” Cricket Australia said in a statement.

“It is alleged players and staff from the Australian team were verbally abused, with some being physically contacted, as they made their way to lunch through the members area.”

An MCC spokesperson previously said: “The Long Room is unique in world cricket and the great privilege of players passing through the Pavilion is very special. After this morning’s play, emotions were running high, and words were unfortunately exchanged with some of the Australian team, by a small number of members.

We have unreservedly apologised to the Australian team and will deal with any member who has not maintained the standard we expect through our disciplinary processes.

More bad loser Lager Lout Pommie Plonkers. A very sad day for English Cricket, in this most hallowed and respected of Long Rooms.

Most Brits are good sportsmen - but these drunken and abusive fringe nutters, have no place being anywhere near touching and shoving and in-your-face abuse distance of these World Class cricketers, who had played fairly and played well. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

Enough said with this image.

Bumbling Bairstow the Buffoon doing exactly what Carey did to get him out a few days before.

Nothing unusual or rare about it, happens every weekend in junior cricket around the world.

Hypocrites, Stokes’ mob are - maybe that’s where they belong - in the Under 10s.
B3F04AE5-A356-4D41-B9AD-54BE84AF5B21.jpeg
https://www.news.com.au/sport/cricket/englands-hypocrisy-lai ... 754e179837
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

Perhaps 2023 will commemorate the retirement of Anderson, plus a few other deadwood.

Staggering to consider at 40 years of age he was handed the new ball in both innings!

Would have been better to hand him a walking stick: three wickets in the series at an average of 75 and strike rate of 150.

Bye bye Jimmy, when a picture says a thousand words:
91dafd54217c9048d6ebdf9bfe4c3eeb.jpg
https://www.news.com.au/sport/cricket/the-ashes/report-engla ... 717e76cdea
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

I think they should give him a Knighthood and a Victoria Cross and a Lifetime Gold Rail Pass. Seems to be the usual drill over there. :)
wilbaer
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by wilbaer »

Rigs wrote: 05 Jul 2023 11:11

Perhaps 2023 will commemorate the retirement of Anderson, plus a few other deadwood.

Staggering to consider at 40 years of age he was handed the new ball in both innings!

Would have been better to hand him a walking stick: three wickets in the series at an average of 75 and strike rate of 150.

Hmmm, Jimmy Anderson is the #2 test bowler in the world for 2023. All your bowlers below him :lol:
Ashes bowlers.JPG
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

wilbaer wrote: 05 Jul 2023 18:50
Rigs wrote: 05 Jul 2023 11:11

Hmmm, Jimmy Anderson is the #2 test bowler in the world for 2023. All your bowlers below him :lol:

I’d forward this important information to the English selectors if I were you :lol:

Good luck, including any other International Kooky Kricket stats you drum up.

Actually, I take it back, can you please ensure BLANDERSON is performing at Headingley with England’s other Clowns of Cricket?

He was so effective on the ‘green monster’ Day 1 at Lords.

Him and the bumbling BAIRSTOW the buffoon.

It’d be such a shame to break them up - best entertainers in the business!

Consider it took others like ROOTed years to perfect his act, like this momentous first ball from Cummins last Ashes:

https://www.cricket.com.au/video/pat-cummins-two-late-wicket ... 2019-09-08

No RM commemoration there.

Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

Well agree that hopefully the Poms will let him bowl. He is past it now.

Poor old Wilbaer was made look a fool yesterday by posting all sorts of utter nonsense and fiction re bookies cricket odds, that he was wildly wrong on.

Same with his dodgy stats re the Bowling 'prowess' of this chap Anderson.

The obvious first question is, have all on the list played the same number of tests in 2023 - otherwise clearly it is useless.

And secondly he is wrong anyway it seems! Seems like the Australian Captain outranks Anderson. Little surprise there really.

https://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/icc-rankings/test-bowling

Capturefff.JPG
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

Bumbling Bairstow the Buffoon.

Drops a sitter down the leg side from Head.

There’s enough dropped catches from him alone to make his own miniature sheet, let alone the other Clowns of Cricket.

You really can’t make this stuff up :lol:

Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

The Royal Mail design Chimps are working on tidying up this one -

F0JmGGFaIAAhvZ-.jpg
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

ROOTed

The Clowns of Cricket are going to be a cracker today!
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

Well 94-5 is pretty good for this lot. 8-)

Root is wildly inconsistent with the bat - he's had his one decent innings for this Ashes Series, and the British tailenders start at number 5 - all petrified bunny Brigade thereafter. :!:

Only 169 runs for them to get. Bookies are worryingly looking to massive payouts to locals - me included. Have some huge bets on Australia to retain Ashes. That result might even be obvious by stumps.

Glen
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

Bumbling BAIRSTOW the BUFFOON

The clowns will lose the Ashes by drinks …

Rigs

Post by Rigs »

The clowns playing musical chairs with the batting order worked well?

Not.

Send in the number 11 next …

You just can’t make this stuff up.
norvic

Post by norvic »

More a matter of when rather than if England achieve their target now.

81 in the bag, 170 to go

8 wickets left.
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

norvic wrote: 09 Jul 2023 22:07 More a matter of when rather than if England achieve their target now.
Tempting fate …
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

Speak of the devil,

Kreepy CRAWLEY takes a walk :lol:

Don’t choke on it …
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

Rigs wrote: 07 Jul 2023 21:10 .
ROOTed

The Clowns of Cricket are going to be a cracker today!
And then it starts … Again!
norvic

Post by norvic »

norvic wrote: 09 Jul 2023 22:07 More a matter of when rather than if England achieve their target now.

81 in the bag, 170 to go

8 wickets left.
You’ve got to give the crowd their money’s-worth.
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

'Will Royal Mail issue any Ashes commemorative stamps for 2023?'

Royal Mail have just rush released half stamps to celebrate this one. :)

Rigs

Post by Rigs »

On the eve of the fourth test it is reassuring to observe that BLANDERSON has been recalled for Old Trafford!

A recent practice session featured the spearhead of the English bowling attack finetuning his technique with the aid of a walking stick:
bowlsmate (1).jpg
At 41 his age finally gives something for RM to commemorate - it emerges all four of the English bowlers are over 33 years of age, which apparently hasn't happened since 1928.

Clowns of Cricket ...

Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

Well England have not won at Old Trafford for 42 years, so clearly a done deal already, so I guess this lets a few of them qualify for the fabled ECB pension, in the late Autumns of their cricket lives?

All the warm beer they can drink. 8-)
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

So BLANDERSON, the human sleeping pill, English cricket's gift to sleep apnea, has taken no wickets in 17 overs.

Perhaps Sad STOKES will toss him the ball first up to see if he can get the number 11 out?

Good luck with that ... CLOWNS OF CRICKET! :roll:

Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

Artist rendition of Anderson doing his start of run up limbering up exercises - - they call in a pensioner who cannot even bowl a tailender?

English cricket depth must be pretty sad. :!:

image_processing20200410-24721-9dcoq5.png
norvic

Post by norvic »

Global Admin wrote: 20 Jul 2023 16:39 Artist rendition of Anderson doing his start of run up limbering up exercises - - they call in a pensioner who cannot even bowl a tailender?

English cricket depth must be pretty sad. :!:

No words necessary.
Screenshot 2023-07-20 at 11.11.54.png
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

In the words of Confucius (or was it Napoleon?) -

'Even a blind hog finds an acorn every now and again' :lol:
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

BLANDERSON doesn’t care.

At his age he’ll take all the shickets he can get :lol:

Sleeping pill manufacturers are lining up for his endorsement as we speak.

Pluck a DUCKETT gone as a type !!

lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

Global Admin wrote: 18 Jul 2023 14:14 Well England have not won at Old Trafford for 42 years, so clearly a done deal already, so I guess this lets a few of them qualify for the fabled ECB pension, in the late Autumns of their cricket lives?

All the warm beer they can drink. 8-)
I recall going to a test match at Old Trafford when I was 50. England won that match ... and I'm not 92!

Return to “NO question is too basic or silly - you ask - we WILL help you with it!”