GB perforated 1d red QV slight off centre: is this an 'error' stamp?

Stampboards has 1000s of regular readers who WILL take the time to help out even with the most basic question. If you are new to stamps - or taking up the hobby after a long break, there is a lot to learn. PLEASE do not be shy in asking the simplest of questions .. members here will be delighted to help you with the answers!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Rooster1
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!

GB perforated 1d red QV slight off centre: is this an 'error' stamp?

Post by Rooster1 »

Hi there. I found a Penny Red in a collection I recently acquired. Low and behold, it may be an 'error' stamp. I'm new to all of this and am having a great time learning.

Can anyone tell me if this would be classified as an error stamp? You will see that the perforation is a bit offset and edges into the stamp to the right.

The left-hand side is obviously offset as well. Kind of interesting. Any value here? I'm looking forward to your reply.

Thank you in advance. Rick

20231222_193942.jpg
Last edited by Global Admin on 27 Dec 2023 16:22, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Expanded very vague and LAZY 3 word heading, to make more sense to members, (read Rule 10) and turned it into a QUESTION of some kind, and moved to correct Forum, and added pars and spacing.
Sark
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Re: Penny Red Error?

Post by Sark »

Rooster! Hi

This is and is not an error!

The first stamps of 1840 onwards, were of course issued imperforate with the first perforated versions appearing from 1848 onwards.

Obviously the stamps were supposed to be perforated between the designs, but as is the case with your illustration this often didn't quite happen. Indeed in the early years it is probably fair to say that if not the majority were mis-perfed a significant % were.

So in these early days should this be considered an error or the norm?

I am sure other SB'ers will be able to post examples of early Line Engraved stamps which through being mis-perfed show as many as parts of three adjoining stamps, or have POSTAGE at the bottom of the design or ONE PENNY at the top. Top and bottom marginal stamps sometimes have the value or POSTAGE omitted altogether and or part of the marginal inscription as part of the stamp.

Your stamp from the 1864-79 series of "Penny Red Plate Numbers" (seems to be plate 149) is catalogued by Stanley Gibbons at £7 for a used example but has the footnote "For well-centred, lightly used +200%" In other words the less "error" the higher the value. I would add that in the past I have bought and sold extreme mis-perf examples for far more than +200%.

Beauty is after all in the eye of the beholder.

Nowadays and for quite some time the art of perforating stamps has become a science. To find a significantly mis-perfed stamp is now very unusual and usually would be classified as an error rather than semi-standard with the value increasing accordingly.

Hope this helps.

Sark
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: Penny Red Error?

Post by Global Admin »

Sark wrote: 27 Dec 2023 16:52
I am sure other SB'ers will be able to post examples of early Line Engraved stamps which through being mis-perfed show as many as parts of three adjoining stamps, or have POSTAGE at the bottom of the design or ONE PENNY at the top.
misperf.jpg
img034.jpg
Verzaehnt.jpg
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
Sark

Re: GB perforated 1d red QV slight off centre: is this an 'error' stamp?

Post by Sark »

Well done Glen. Exactly what I was hoping would be posted.

Sark

Return to “NO question is too basic or silly - you ask - we WILL help you with it!”