South Africa Revenue Stamps, 1944 Visa Use In Passport

We all have and handle these from time to time. "Back of book", Revenues, "Cinderellas", duty stamps and all kinds of other stamp like labels. Discuss them all HERE!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Brit-Col
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

South Africa Revenue Stamps, 1944 Visa Use In Passport

Post by Brit-Col »

I was just leafing through my father’s boyhood passport, issued by British India, and came across this page which I find interesting for its use of revenue stamps for a visa for travel in southern Africa.
IMG_3796.jpeg
South Africa 1938/42 One Shilling Revenue Stamp; Barefoot 36
South Africa 1938/42 One Shilling Revenue Stamp; Barefoot 36
BC
Good judgment is gained from experience. Experience is gained from poor judgment.
norvic
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: South Africa Revenue Stamps, 1944 Visa Use In Passport

Post by norvic »

It’s also interesting for the use of Endorsements, rather than Visas.

It’s an Indian Empire passport and the South African immigration authorities have permitted travel to Nyasaland and later to the Rhodesian and Mozambican, rather quaintly referred to as Portuguese East Africa.

So was it originally valid for travel only to a South Africa? One would expect a passport to be valid for travel anywhere, providing the authority in the destination country were satisfied (ie issued a visa if necessaryj.

What we’re the restrictions?
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock see Modern GB Blog Also almost everything non-GB postal history & postcards I show here is for sale: DM for details.
Mystery Postcard Nos: 265, 290/1/3/4, 304, 310, 320/2/4/7/8, 331/7, 344/6, 353/8, 363/4
Brit-Col

Re: South Africa Revenue Stamps, 1944 Visa Use In Passport

Post by Brit-Col »

Yes, I suppose the Endorsements were different from Visas.

It appears the original validity was for Canada, South Africa, and India, as well as the United States (with visa).

Considering the British Empire - including the Indian Empire - was at war at the time the normal rules may not have applied.
IMG_3807.jpeg
BC
Good judgment is gained from experience. Experience is gained from poor judgment.

Return to “Cinderellas etc - all the stamps that are NOT regular postage stamp related”