Any members in WALES UK up for a coffee or beer etc in the next weeks?

Discussion of anything you like. Sport, stamps, politics, religion, weather, world disasters, news articles - whatever. Things generally NOT stamp related belong in here. Please keep it CIVIL and polite though! We encourage lively discussion on all things.

Moderators: gmoney, Volunteer Moderator Team

Ubobo.R.O.
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: Any members in WALES UK up for a coffee or beer etc in the next weeks?

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

I see they named an ice cream after one of our Melbourne Cup winners.
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, lighthouses, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

'Fish and Chips' is a thoroughbred English horse surely? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Way out here, I notice Queen Victoria is still the Monarch of choice. :!:

1.jpg
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
norvic

Post by norvic »

For balance... the beach at Tenby.

DSC00406.jpeg
DSC00405.jpeg
Now I will admit that these pictures were taken 17 years ago, so it is just possible (not) that all the sand has washed away, as happened on some Australian beaches a few years back, to be replaced by pebbles and larger stones. But I don't think so.

The thing is, as I am sure you know but you like winding us up, some land is made of soft stone, which crumbles to sand (this is near St David's)
DSC00361.jpeg
DSC00347.jpeg
and in other places the hard bedrock is exposed right down to the sea with barely any topsoil, and so when the weather does break it, it breaks to stones.
DSC00505.jpeg
IMG_5065.jpeg
Just what they taught us at school back in the 50s (you did have those in Australia when you were younger?) :D
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock see Modern GB Blog Also almost everything non-GB postal history & postcards I show here is for sale: DM for details.
Mystery Postcard Nos: 265, 290/1/3/4, 304, 310, 320/2/4/7/8, 331/7, 344/6, 353/8, 363/4
FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

If you miss home, there is this nearer me, in Porthmadog!
The Australia
The Australia
I am a Penpaller and Stamp User. I send therefore I receive. I have a snail mail forum, A World of Snail Mail. I may need help to postally use RM postage stamps - does anyone want to get into letter writing or up for occasional missives?
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

FairyFoot wrote: 29 May 2024 22:47
If you miss home, there is this nearer me, in Porthmadog!

We are catching up with joneboy and wife at an Australian owned pub near Conwy later week.

Are they allowed to serve cold beer?
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
lesbootman
I was *ALMOST* online for post number TEN MILLION!

Post by lesbootman »

Are they allowed to serve cold beer?
Of course not, we have to give you lots of things to complain about. We wouldn't be decent hosts if we didn't make sure the country is as you paint it from afar in as far as that is possible.

It took Norvic a couple of weeks to ship all those pebbles to the beach and cover up the sand. :lol: :lol:
Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind!
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

lesbootman wrote: 30 May 2024 04:09
It took Norvic a couple of weeks to ship all those pebbles to the beach and cover up the sand. :lol: :lol:

I hear he MAILED them down -- best way to use up his 3 million x 1p and 2p Machins he still had on hand before they Nuked them. :mrgreen:

We let our hair down in St. Davids this evening, and enjoyed some British Fine Dining of the traditional national favourite ethnic dish - of VERY heavily deep fried battered Cod, mushy peas, and greasy chips. A heart attack in a cardboard box. And accompanied by starched linen table cloths, sterling silver cutlery, finest cotton napkins, and served on fine Bone China. (I may have lied about the last bit!)

All at the cost of what a very nice restaurant meal of real food costs in Sydney, with table service, and cutlery etc, etc. Basic food seems super pricey in the UK. 8-)

The cheapest option so far is when we ordered 2 coffees at £3 each, at the little kiosk at St. Justinians this afternoon, where we sailed to see the PUFFINS. Had a big sign saying 'CASH ONLY'. First time we have used cash in 5 days. No problem. Pulled out a £10 note.

'Cannot accept that - it is PAPER' says the older lady serving there. 'My boss only allows me to accept PLASTIC banknotes'. No problem - hand her a £20. Get same answer. No problem, then hand her a £50 (I first looked looked at the printing date - 2012.). Get same answer. All were 'Bank Of England' notes - not Scotland or Northern Ireland 'Funny Money'!

Tell her I also have Visa and Mastercard and Amex and Ozzie dollars - any is fine with me. I swear this is true - she says - 'have the coffees free - do not want to get into trouble with the boss'. You just simply cannot make this stuff up! Darn annoyed we had not ordered some cakes as well - indeed she sold beers too. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Glen

1.jpg
MargoZ

Post by MargoZ »

A couple more pictures from the Pembrokeshire Coastal path...and some St Davids yarnbombing just for Fairyfoot

20240529_154332.jpg
20240529_155431.jpg
20240529_174608.jpg
IMG_20240529_193828.jpg
IMG_20240529_194046.jpg
IMG_20240529_194054.jpg
IMG_20240529_194103.jpg
Please click link below to "Like" stampboards on FACEBOOK -
https://www.facebook.com/stampboards/
FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

I'm afraid Bank of England paper notes have ceased to be legal tender. https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/withdrawn-banknotes

5th June sees the release of KCIII banknotes...
I am a Penpaller and Stamp User. I send therefore I receive. I have a snail mail forum, A World of Snail Mail. I may need help to postally use RM postage stamps - does anyone want to get into letter writing or up for occasional missives?
FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

Not seen much yarnbombing outside of use on postboxes.
lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

Paper money ceased to be legal tender some time ago. If you can find a bank branch they will take them from you. Sometimes they say you have to pay them in to an account. If they do you'll need to enlist the help of a British Stampboarder.

You used to be able to use them to buy things at post offices, but that depends on the clerk's understanding of the rules.
Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind!
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

FairyFoot wrote: 30 May 2024 05:45
I'm afraid Bank of England paper notes have ceased to be legal tender.

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/withdrawn-banknotes

Amazing - even for the 2011 first issued £50s that I have. Thought only Zimbabwe etc did that stuff. Oh well. Will try at a bank - St. Davids has none, I just checked. Bank of England website seems to say one needs an account there to do that. We shall see. :!:

1.png
lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

Different series of banknotes have ceased to be legal tender when a replacement series had been introduced several times over the years in the UK. I know of other European countries where the same thing applies. All old British notes can be exchanged, although due to money laundering rules etc. It isn't always easy.

I.e. Some older Swiss notes are invalid and cannot be exchanged for current notes.

There was a big hoo Haa in India when they invalidated notes above 100 Rs a few years ago.
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

Yes, good to see India's impressive lead is being followed. :lol:
norvic

Post by norvic »

If you can find an amenable post office you may be able to do it there, but they will be few and far between in an area served by mobile vans in the main.

The first all-electric Mobile has just gone into service.

First electric Mobile Post Office successfully trialled in Wales

Electric-powered Mobile Post Office in Pembrokeshire.
Electric-powered Mobile Post Office in Pembrokeshire.
The first full-electric Post Office branded vehicle has been successfully trialled in the UK.

Pembroke Postmaster Mark Wilson and his team operate a Mobile Post Office serving 11 communities in rural Pembrokeshire. He has swapped his previous diesel vehicle for an electric one.

The distinctively decorated vehicle has been put through its paces for the past few weeks to check that the battery-powered branch can cope with the hilly terrain. It has shown that the more environmentally friendly vehicle is viable.

A larger electric vehicle has less range than an electric car because of the weight of the vehicle. It can comfortably do more than 100 miles before it needs recharging.

The longest mileage day for the Pembroke Mobile Post Office is 60 miles, which gives lots of spare capacity and no risk of “range anxiety”. The vehicle is charged overnight, which removes the need for charging the vehicle whilst out and about or the need to make a detour to find a compatible charger.

Pembroke Postmaster, Mark Wilson, said:

“Our electric Mobile Post Office is turning heads with its distinctive signage. People are used to the typical Post Office red vehicles, but the design on the vehicle is highlighting that this vehicle is better for the environment. It’s exciting to have the first of these in the UK. Customers have been praising our new vehicle as it is less polluting and looks good.

Electric-powered Mobile Post Office at Dale Beach in Pembrokeshire.
Electric-powered Mobile Post Office at Dale Beach in Pembrokeshire.
Only open
Tuesday 15:15 - 16:15
Thursday 14:15 - 15:15
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock see Modern GB Blog Also almost everything non-GB postal history & postcards I show here is for sale: DM for details.
Mystery Postcard Nos: 265, 290/1/3/4, 304, 310, 320/2/4/7/8, 331/7, 344/6, 353/8, 363/4
MargoZ

Post by MargoZ »

Love the mobile PO idea....that has been happening successfully with libraries for decades. Would be great for rural areas in Oz too.

BTW our little hotel in St Davids has two EV charge points in the carpark .....very impressive.
norvic

Post by norvic »

We also have mobile banks and have had in Scotland for > 20 years. Most transactions can be done at post offices for all major banks, but some tasks require bank staff.
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

We saw 100s if not 1000s of Puffins today, from a small boat to a refuge island, from the St. David's Lifeboat Station. Very cool things - we love them - who doesn't! :lol: :lol:

1aaaaa.JPG
1aaaa.JPG
1aa.jpg
1a2.JPG
1.jpg
norvic

Post by norvic »

So very lucky. We were lucky to see some in Scotland's outer isles but the journey back was in really foul choppy seas. That was when I saw a puffin fly dead level, through a cresting swell and out the other side!
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

My little camera was not much use, but one wonders how they could be enough sand eels down below to feed the 40,000 Puffins there!

Sounds like that is all they feed on? And apparently they catch dozens per dive if they can.

1.jpg
lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

Global Admin wrote: 30 May 2024 06:24 Yes, good to see India's impressive lead is being followed. :lol:
Not to sound disrespectful Glen, but the UK has been issuing new series of notes and removing the old ones from circulation periodically for decades. We're not following India's lead.

Plenty of notice is always given before notes cease to circulate as currency so there is no hoo Haa.

I'm very surprised that as an experienced traveller you didn't consider that or check online before you set off.

Granted, you can't think of everything!
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

Yes, every time I come to the UK, I discover much of what I am carrying has been voided for obscure reasons unknown.

Being a stamp and coin dealer, I end up with a stream of foreign currency in Estates etc. Most first world countries like the USA happily honour and accept banknotes going back very many decades. As does Australia etc. Basic common sense really, but not the UK.

All our Decimal banknotes from 1966 quaintly say 'LEGAL TENDER THROUGHOUT AUSTRALIA'. How old-fashioned! Even for coffees. Australia invented totally polymer plastic banknotes near 40 years back, and very encouraging to see the UK has now finally dragged itself into the 2020s, and is also using them.

They are essentially unforgeable - the current ones have large areas of clear polymer with some light design hologram elements on that section, and of course last MANY times longer than paper.

I guess as the UK chose to demonetise all Machin stamps for no reason than their own total stupidity snd incomptence, anything is possible! I'll cope, as always. :!:

https://banknotes.rba.gov.au/australias-banknotes/redeeming-old-banknotes/

1.jpg
1.png

1.jpg
lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

Think of folk in places like, France and the Netherlands, where if they find a tin of francs or guilders that an elderly relative salted away and forgot about, they are not exchangeable.

Americans, Canadians etc, where money is valid indefinitely, would probably be the same as you. You're used to the Australian way of doing things so there are always going to be different things to catch you out.

If I ever make it to Australia I'm sure unfamiliar things there will catch me out.
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

lesbootman wrote: 30 May 2024 08:27
Think of folk in places like, France and the Netherlands, where if they find a tin of francs or guilders that an elderly relative salted away and forgot about, they are not exchangeable.

Americans, Canadians etc, where money is valid indefinitely, would probably be the same as you.

The word for you to google here, is 'EURO' :lol: :lol: :lol:

And hasn't the Pound Sterling currency been around for quite a while now? (Answer - Sterling is the world's oldest currency that is still in use, and that has been in continuous use since its inception. Even at Decimalisation in 1971, One Pound was still One Pound of course - NONE of your banknotes of £1 and up changed in design at that time - coins, big changes of course.)

Anyway, good to see the UK has caught up at last, and pleased to know you are paying us huge royalties for all those polymer notes you are now using! Every country that uses them, does the same.

CSIRO perfected the polymer banknote technology in the 1960s, actually -

https://csiropedia.csiro.au/polymer-banknotes/
lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

:D
Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

I have been looking for cousin Wally. I hope you spotted him.
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, lighthouses, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

I think we had Wally deep battered earlier tonight. :shock:

They tell tourists it is 'cod' but what would we know? Under all that batter ..... :D
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

Today we spent most of the day on a steam train ride up the mountain from Porthmandog in Snowdonia National Park, to the roof slate mining town of Ffestiniog via tunnels, and heavy bush, and wide valleys.

Thought it might be a bit kitsch and touristy, but a great day and super sunny and nice weather, and luxury carriages.

1.jpg
1a.jpg
1aa.jpg
1aaaa.JPG
1aaaaa.JPG
1aaaaaa.JPG
1.jpg
Brummie
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by Brummie »

Love their steam trains, so much fun and what a view. Thanks for sharing the holiday, love it. :D
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

And we saw a poster up there for Purple Moose Beer and Cider, brewed at THE AUSTRALIA Hotel down in Porthmadog. So felt patriotically obliged to pay a visit and sink a few pints. :mrgreen:

A lot of locals there, and elsewhere, were speaking Welsh only.

Tonight we catch up north in Conwy for dinner with joneboy and goof, who are kindly trekking across from Merrie England with their wives. Looking forward to meeting both. 8-)

And I swear there must be more domestic DOGS in Wales than any other place on earth per capita. They wander into pubs like this, restaurants, supermarkets, tourist places, retail shops, national park, botanic gardens, Hotel rooms, Castles etc. EVERYWHERE - 1000s of them. Often 2 or 3 or 4 dogs per couple. BIG suckers too many times.

Glen

1.jpg
1aaa.jpg
1aaaaa.JPG
1a.jpg
1.jpg
FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

Not been on the FR for a while, nor WHR... though hear / see that one more often. The Ffestiniog Railway engines are quite "odd" looking, not like the giant ones on the Welsh Highland Railway.
Garratt.png
The Australia was also busy on my last visit there, and had to go to a pub around the corner somewhere.

Dogs... they are mostly OK.. but it is what their owners leave behind... dangling on tree branches, or on the path... black little bags of.... Still, the stamps out next week look quite cute!
Bill H UK

Post by Bill H UK »

Glad someone else noticed the dog plague in the UK.(It's not just Wales - in my town, you're considered a bit odd if you don't have at least one).

When I was a kid, some people used to keep A dog. Now, everyone has 3, 4, 5.......

What happened?
Collecting mint British Empire / Colonial up to the 1960s, Bridlington & East Yorkshire postal history, and wacky postcards.
lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

Bill H UK wrote: 01 Jun 2024 17:48 Glad someone else noticed the dog plague in the UK.(It's not just Wales - in my town, you're considered a bit odd if you don't have at least one).
When I was a kid, some people used to keep A dog. Now, everyone has 3, 4, 5.......
What happened?
Folk lost interest in keeping cats?

Dog owners are probably in the minority in my immediate area.
JonEboy

Post by JonEboy »

Global Admin wrote: 01 Jun 2024 07:57
Tonight we catch up north in Conwy for dinner with joneboy and goof, who are kindly trekking across from Merrie England with their wives. Looking forward to meeting both. 8-)
We’re looking forward to it too. Just sorting our passports and day passes for the border and we’re set :lol: :lol:

See you later… :D

Jon
Barbados, Commonwealth, France & Colonies, GB, Line Engraved, Intaglio & Recess printed stamps
http://www.barbadosstamps.co.uk
Philexx
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!

Post by Philexx »

Have fun tonight. Looking forward to the photo :D
Join the Stampboards Monthly Cover Exchanges
MargoZ

Post by MargoZ »

Just an additional note about our train trip yesterday: I was devastated to discover that the beautiful rhododendrons flowering all along the route are actually an invasive weed causing the National parks people huge headaches in removal efforts.
20240531_125121.jpg
Rhododendrons are difficult to grow in Sydney unless you are in a microclimate so hard to imagine them ever becoming invasive (though there is a huge range of other invasive plants in our bushland :( )

We finished off the day with a visit to stunning Harlech castle
20240531_155600.jpg
Thanks to our Welsh Stampboarders for turning on such lovely weather. Really looking forward to the catch up tonight.
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

Yes the 800 or 900 year old, Harlech Castle was well worth visiting. Climbed right up to the top - about 150 stone stairs!

Miles of open ground all around it - not quite sure what it was protecting! :lol: :lol:

Glen

1.jpg
1a.jpg
1aaa.jpg
1.jpg
norvic

Post by norvic »

I think it was protecting Wales from seaborne invasion when the sea was a lot closer than it is now.
Bill H UK

Post by Bill H UK »

norvic wrote: 01 Jun 2024 20:43 I think it was protecting Wales from seaborne invasion when the sea was a lot closer than it is now.
Yes, the castle was on the coast when it was built. It has a 'Water Gate', so it could be supplied from the sea. No chance now!
Collecting mint British Empire / Colonial up to the 1960s, Bridlington & East Yorkshire postal history, and wacky postcards.
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

Bill H UK wrote: 01 Jun 2024 17:48 Glad someone else noticed the dog plague in the UK.(It's not just Wales - in my town, you're considered a bit odd if you don't have at least one).

What happened?
And now everyone has 2, 1, or 0 children.

What happened?

:shock: :lol:
Collecting Stamps & Postal History of Molokai | Polar Regions in WWII | Chatham Islands | Lord Howe Island | Greenland et hoc genus omne
FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

In Tenovus charity shop Conwy..
Books in charity shop
Books in charity shop
MargoZ

Post by MargoZ »

Gosh...I volunteer in a charity shop in Sydney. That looks very expensive 😳
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

50 years out of date SG cats .. how could they possibly be a bad buy. :?:

About as useful as looking up a 1974 Financial Times for stock and share guidance. :lol:

Into the nearest bin at our place, ditto 1980s and 90s. Postage always costs more than they are worth.
norvic

Post by norvic »

Catweazle wrote: 01 Jun 2024 23:01

What happened?
And now everyone has 2, 1, or 0 children.

What happened?

:shock: :lol:
Covid. There was a big increase in dog ownership as people worked from home and had to have a good reason to go out and exercise.
Bill H UK

Post by Bill H UK »

That occurred to me. But why do they all need three?
The Pom

Post by The Pom »

Global Admin wrote: 01 Jun 2024 07:57 And we saw a poster up there for Purple Moose Beer and Cider, brewed at THE AUSTRALIA Hotel down in Porthmadog. So felt patriotically obliged to pay a visit and sink a few pints. :mrgreen:

A lot of locals there, and elsewhere, were speaking Welsh only.

And I swear there must be more domestic DOGS in Wales than any other place on earth per capita. They wander into pubs like this, restaurants, supermarkets, tourist places, retail shops, national park, botanic gardens, Hotel rooms, Castles etc. EVERYWHERE - 1000s of them. Often 2 or 3 or 4 dogs per couple. BIG suckers too many times.

Glen

The Australia used to have a bit of a rough reputation years ago. I always used to drink in the Ship Inn when I was in Porthmadog.
Always on the lookout for Australian pre decimal First Day Covers.
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

The Pom wrote: 02 Jun 2024 07:17
The Australia used to have a bit of a rough reputation years ago. I always used to drink in the Ship Inn when I was in Porthmadog.

Well, hopefully we raised the bar a TAD. I asked my friend King Charles, if he might offer them a Royal Warrant. 8-)

The pub we went to after dinner drinks with tonight in Conwy, The Bluebelle, is owned by an Australian chap, Gerard. joneboy and his wife knew him from their past visits here, and he popped by for a long chat.

The men's bathroom is festooned with music memorabilia from his Sydney days. He was raised in the next suburb to where we live.

Hopefully his Aussie Heritage inspired this 'EXTRA COLD' signage, anyway, we cheerfully purchased them! AND it was accurate. :D

I think that deserves a Royal Warrant too. What a pioneer. Added him to the list. :!:

1a.jpg
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

At dinner tonight at the Erskine Arms, in Coway Wales, we had a very nice evening. :D

joneboy and his wife Emma from Cheshire, (both in centre) and goof and wife Rachel joined us - goof had driven in today from London!

Great meal, and great company - terrific to catch up with more stampboarders on our circuit around Wales!

Glen

1.jpg
Brummie

Post by Brummie »

Always lovely when you have good company and it looks like you are all enjoying the get together, have fun.
goof
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Post by goof »

Glen & Margo

Great to meet up with you both and also with Joneboy and Emma, the drive was worth it and glad it was only a couple of hours home from Conwy. Beautiful part of the country, enjoy your last few days.

best regards
Mick

Return to “'The Water Cooler' - A relaxing and FUN place to let off some steam ......”