Any members in WALES UK up for a coffee or beer etc in the next weeks?

A general welcome message to all new members! All new members are invited and urged to make this thread their FIRST port of call. Please do **NOT** start a new thread in THIS forum - just add to the one long one. In all OTHER forums start as many NEW ones as you wish!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

norvic
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: Any members in WALES UK up for a coffee or beer etc in the next weeks?

Post by norvic »

Global Admin wrote: 02 Jun 2024 07:48
The Pom wrote: 02 Jun 2024 07:17
The Australia used to have a bit of a rough reputation years ago. I always used to drink in the Ship Inn when I was in Porthmadog.

Well, hopefully we raised the bar a TAD. I asked my friend King Charles, if he might offer them a Royal Warrant. 8-)

The pub we went to after dinner drinks with tonight in Conwy, The Bluebelle, is owned by an Australian chap, Gerard. joneboy and his wife knew him from their past visits here, and he popped by for a long chat.

The men's bathroom is festooned with music memorabilia from his Sydney days. He was raised in the next suburb to where we live.

Hopefully his Aussie Heritage inspired this 'EXTRA COLD' signage, anyway, we cheerfully purchased them! AND it was accurate. :D

I think that deserves a Royal Warrant too. What a pioneer. Added him to the list. :!:

Glen, you might have more luck with your other friend, the Prince of Wales.

He can give royal warrants too.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock see Modern GB Blog Also almost everything non-GB postal history & postcards I show here is for sale: DM for details.
Mystery Postcard Nos: 265, 290/1/3/4, 304, 310, 320/2/4/7/8, 331/7, 344/6, 353/8, 363/4
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

norvic wrote: 02 Jun 2024 18:03
Global Admin wrote: 02 Jun 2024 07:48
The Pom wrote: 02 Jun 2024 07:17
The Australia used to have a bit of a rough reputation years ago. I always used to drink in the Ship Inn when I was in Porthmadog.

Well, hopefully we raised the bar a TAD. I asked my friend King Charles, if he might offer them a Royal Warrant. 8-)

The pub we went to after dinner drinks with tonight in Conwy, The Bluebelle, is owned by an Australian chap, Gerard. joneboy and his wife knew him from their past visits here, and he popped by for a long chat.

The men's bathroom is festooned with music memorabilia from his Sydney days. He was raised in the next suburb to where we live.

Hopefully his Aussie Heritage inspired this 'EXTRA COLD' signage, anyway, we cheerfully purchased them! AND it was accurate. :D

I think that deserves a Royal Warrant too. What a pioneer. Added him to the list. :!:

Glen, you might have more luck with your other friend, the Prince of Wales.

He can give royal warrants too.

No William still has his 'L" plates on.

I'll go to the very top thanks - after all we educated The King in Australia, at Timbertop, so we are owed a few favours, for toughening him up a little.

He is shown here, trying to saw his leg off, just to get out of PE. :lol:

Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

And speaking of my very close friend The King, yesterday I was standing on this massive raised circle of Welsh Stone, which is the exact spot Charlie was invested as Prince Of Wales - 55 years back in 1969 at Caernarfon Castle.

Back then, the UK decided it warranted a set of 5 stamps! (And back then, as we can see, a letter cost a few pennies, not £1.35.) Talk about a lonnnnnnng apprenticeship. :)

1.jpg
1a.jpg
1aaa.jpg
1.jpg
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
Brummie
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by Brummie »

I remember watching the Investiture (yes I am that old), love all the pomp and ceremony.
Philexx
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!

Post by Philexx »

Global Admin wrote: 02 Jun 2024 08:20 At dinner tonight at the Erskine Arms, in Coway Wales, we had a very nice evening. :D

joneboy and his wife Emma from Cheshire, (both in centre) and goof and wife Rachel joined us - goof had driven in today from London!

Great meal, and great company - terrific to catch up with more stampboarders on our circuit around Wales!

Glen

Great to see you all having fun. Lovely looking place too.
Join the Stampboards Monthly Cover Exchanges
gavin-h

Post by gavin-h »

Global Admin wrote: 01 Jun 2024 20:14 Yes the 800 or 900 year old, Harlech Castle was well worth visiting. Climbed right up to the top - about 150 stone stairs!

Miles of open ground all around it - not quite sure what it was protecting! :lol: :lol:

Glen

There is a school of thought, supported by some eminent historians, that suggests many medieval castles were used OFFENSIVELY, not defensively.

Initially, it seems a crazy idea that something 150 feet tall with thousands of tons of stone walls anchored deep in the ground is an offensive structure - surely when an invading force arrived, you ran into the castle, brought your wives and children and livestock with you, raised the drawbridge and fought as though your lives depended in it?

But instead, look at it another way - the English armies advancing into Wales to subjugate the Sons of Glendwr etc build these massive structures as barracks. The soldiers billeted there are, of course, protected just as today's military encampments throughout the world are. But the primary function is otherwise. From there, the armies can project force outwards, make forays into the countryside to stamp out pockets of resistance. They can even advance from castle to castle, a day's march at a time to bring ever larger armies towards the "front line" and then advance en masse to capture the next tranche of land. Thus, completing offensive manoeuvres and prosecuting the war/invasion to its successful conclusion.

The Normans used this long-term strategy to subjugate the Saxon areas of England in the 11th and 12th Centuries, and their Plantagenet descendants carried it on in the later middle ages, as you're seeing on your Grand Tour here today. :idea:
MargoZ

Post by MargoZ »

Interesting take on this, Gavin. The mass of castles across Wales are certainly a statement of authority.

And good on CADW for the work they do in preserving these buildings and making them accessible...a huge commitment for a government with a relatively low population base.

Yesterday we visited Plas Mawr, another CADW property....an Elizabethan period home in the centre of Conwy - beautifully preserved and presented.

BTW...we missed you at our happy table last night. It's been a long time between drinks 🍸
Please click link below to "Like" stampboards on FACEBOOK -
https://www.facebook.com/stampboards/
RevRed+
PLATINUM Shooting Star *10,000* Posts!
PLATINUM Shooting Star  *10,000* Posts!

Post by RevRed+ »

Fascinating place Conwy! Was there a few years ago. Unusual railway station.
Conwy.
Conwy.

Conwy railway station.
Conwy railway station.

Back of Conwy Castle and railway bridge entrance.
Back of Conwy Castle and railway bridge entrance.

Red.
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

This morning we drive out into the countryside to see Bodnant Gardens that appears to belong to the National Trust.

Even out there 1000s of visitors at 13 quid a head entry - 3,500 yesterday we were told, so a very popular spot. Must be on 100 acres - massive. Must be an acre of just Roses! EIGHTY gardeners etc.

Amazing place - Margo loves gardens and gardening, so was in her element! The long 'Laburnum Archway' of droopy yellow flowers was pretty amazing -- she'll have more pix later I am sure. 8-)

1.jpg
1a.jpg
1.jpg
1a.jpg
1aaa.jpg
1aaaa.JPG
1aaaaa.JPG
20240602_094424.jpg
20240602_113303.jpg
20240602_094926.jpg
20240602_100319.jpg
20240602_100544.jpg
Attachments
20240602_095929.jpg
20240602_094955.jpg
gavin-h

Post by gavin-h »

MargoZ wrote: 02 Jun 2024 23:32
BTW...we missed you at our happy table last night. It's been a long time between drinks 🍸
It certainly has, Margo!

I'm sorry I couldn't make it, hopefully it won't be too much longer...
JonEboy

Post by JonEboy »

It was great to finally meet Glen and Margo, with the added bonus of also meeting goof and his wife Rachel. And after a decent meal it was wonderful to step outside at 7pm into bright sunshine :mrgreen:
Glen,Margo, Goof, Rachel, JonEboy and Emma
Glen,Margo, Goof, Rachel, JonEboy and Emma
Our Australian friend Jarred, at the Blue Bell, was really pleased to hear a genuine Aussie accent for once. And the fact that he’s virtually a neighbour in Sydney was a bonus.

Delighted to report that the weather is still holding up for your tour of Wales, though knowing the U.K. I think we can expect torrential downpours the moment your plane leaves the tarmac!

And don’t forget the Hidden Chapel. A great little secret in Conwy.

Jon
Barbados, Commonwealth, France & Colonies, GB, Line Engraved, Intaglio & Recess printed stamps
http://www.barbadosstamps.co.uk
norvic

Post by norvic »

Global Admin wrote: 03 Jun 2024 00:32 This morning we drive out into the countryside to see Bodnant Gardens that appears to belong to the National Trust.

Even out there 1000s of visitors at 13 quid a head entry - 3,500 yesterday we were told, so a very popular spot. Must be on 100 acres - massive. Must be an acre of just Roses! EIGHTY gardeners etc.
National Trust members don’t pay of course, and some only pay £60 a year or thereabouts for membership which allows free entry and parking at all locations and free parking at those which are just gardens or countryside etc rather than houses. At this time of year it might have accounted for quite a few visitors.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock see Modern GB Blog Also almost everything non-GB postal history & postcards I show here is for sale: DM for details.
Mystery Postcard Nos: 265, 290/1/3/4, 304, 310, 320/2/4/7/8, 331/7, 344/6, 353/8, 363/4
Bill H UK

Post by Bill H UK »

The National Trust has a membership of over 5 million.. An astonishing number, some 10% of the adult popualtion!
Collecting mint British Empire / Colonial up to the 1960s, Bridlington & East Yorkshire postal history, and wacky postcards.
FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

We had a family NT membership and it was handy for somewhere to stop off on way to/from my mother's in Lincolnshire, but have since let the membership lapse especially as we no longer do that journey. Just a few localish places, and other than Bodnant, one visit perhaps is enough.

Glad you got to see the laburnum arch in its magnificent splendour.
I am a Penpaller and Stamp User. I send therefore I receive. I have a snail mail forum, A World of Snail Mail. I may need help to postally use RM postage stamps - does anyone want to get into letter writing or up for occasional missives?
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

JonEboy wrote: 03 Jun 2024 03:31
Our Australian friend Jarred, at the Blue Bell, was really pleased to hear a genuine Aussie accent for once. And the fact that he’s virtually a neighbour in Sydney was a bonus.

Delighted to report that the weather is still holding up for your tour of Wales, though knowing the U.K. I think we can expect torrential downpours the moment your plane leaves the tarmac!

Gorgeous weather here again today, thank goodness, for our National Trust Gardens, and wandering through Conway Castle. In my personal view, by far the best of all the ~800 year old Castles we have visited here, and the fact most of the outer town walls are still standing is a big bonus.

I know quite about the UK but to be honest had never heard of Conwy before we planned this visit. Three days here has been quite delightful.

Popped in tonight to have dinner at ozzie Jarred's pub, and he had stopped serving food hours before, but made up meals specially and personally, and came out for an hour in his beer garden, for a chat over an ICE COLD Guinness. 8-)

Great catching up at last Jon, and hope your journey home was smooth! :lol:

Glen

1aa.jpg
1aaaa.JPG
1.jpg
1a.jpg
1.jpg
20240602_163521.jpg
Brummie

Post by Brummie »

Thanks for taking us on this lovely holiday with you, am really enjoying it. :D
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

Brummie - glad to see others enjoy it - has exceeded our expectations for sure. :)

A few strange sidebars -

WHO KNEW Wales made Single Malt Whisky? I certainly did not.

Jon showed us last night these cool old hand engraved Welsh slate tablets, with the Welsh language letters hand chipped into them - he speaks and reads Welsh - a hard language to learn I am sure. (But they do teach it to Dogs and Cats!)

And the GULLS here are the size of Cessnas! Took this pic tonight - this dope's Italian hand made $10,000 leather Lotus seats were about to be'visited' I think. Last night Emma was walking along with us, and a brother Gull ruined a gorgeous scarf she was wearing - she needed to go back and try and wash it out - to no avail!
1a.jpg
1aaa.jpg
1a.jpg
1a.jpg
1a.jpg
1.jpg
It is Wales, so this is NOT a bank anymore, but a restaurant. :lol: :lol:
Brummie

Post by Brummie »

At least their seagulls have good taste. :lol:

Yes, Welsh is definitely another language :roll:
Philexx

Post by Philexx »

I know what you mean, Glen. I fell in love with Conwy many years ago. Would have loved to have lived there.

I see you found the tiny house :D
lesbootman
I was *ALMOST* online for post number TEN MILLION!

Post by lesbootman »

Bill H UK wrote: 03 Jun 2024 04:54 The National Trust has a membership of over 5 million.. An astonishing number, some 10% of the adult popualtion!
We were NT members for quite a long time but ceased our membership a couple of years ago. I recall visiting Bodnant Gardens some years ago on our way to Harlech. It was the end of May (spring school holiday because our kids were school age back then).

A relative of ours had brought some rolls (sandwiches) which she'd put up before hand and kept in the freezer overnight before setting off. Snag - they hadn't thawed so our lasting memory of Bodnant Gardens is frozen picnic lunch rather than the laburnum walk and he rest of the garden.

Due to RHS Bridgewater being so close to us and a very nice place to visit we've joined the RHS. That came in handy when we went to Harrogate as Harlow Carr is also an RHS garden - very different to Bridgewater as it is a well established garden that RHS took over rather than a blank canvas like Bridgewater, but still very well worth visiting.
Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind!
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

Philexx wrote: 03 Jun 2024 18:14
I know what you mean, Glen. I fell in love with Conwy many years ago. Would have loved to have lived there.

I see you found the tiny house :D

Yes, very pretty town George. It seemed quite a few degrees warmer than the town the night before, even tho bright sunlight in both places. joneboy had a holiday home here for years, and says there is a consistently warmer microclimate in this area, and they even grow wine grapes. :lol:

Yes the 'tiniest house in the UK' was pretty cool - like a big Doll's House - we decided it might be the only way many folks could afford to enter the UK real estate market!

Sort of built into the outer town walls and towers, that surround the Conwy Town.

1.jpg
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

And as a passing note, I was amazed today at the UK medical system that I know many in the UK say is defective.

Had a badly infected tooth that my own dentist in Sydney gave me a script for antibiotic tablets that I got filled, but forgot to pack of course.

Flared up again yesterday, so went to a local private dentist to get a new script for same tablets. Saw me near immediately, checked the issue, gave me a script and took it to the pharmacy next door.

Dentist cost was £30. To my amazement, the Antibiotics were totally free at the pharmacist.

No Australia reciprocal MEDICARE paperwork was done or asked for, and all this was way cheaper than it costs me back home, where we have an enviable and near free medical MEDICARE program. Well done Britain!

Back home a private doctor or dentist visit costs me about £30 out of pocket, and one can never just walk in generally, and a chemist script for such things about £20 which is government subsided.

Glen

1.jpg
tooler

Post by tooler »

Looks like your having a very nice trip Glen. I really enjoy all the photos you are taking.
I buy too much, can't sell enough - but the information here is priceless.
goof
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Post by goof »

Global Admin wrote: 03 Jun 2024 23:52 And as a passing note, I was amazed today at the UK medical system that I know many in the UK say is defective.

Had a badly infected tooth that my own dentist in Sydney gave me a script for antibiotic tablets that I got filled, but forgot to pack of course.

Flared up again yesterday, so went to a local private dentist to get a new script for same tablets. Saw me near immediately, checked the issue, gave me a script and took it to the pharmacy next door.

Dentist cost was £30. To my amazement, the Antibiotics were totally free at the pharmacist.

No Australia reciprocal MEDICARE paperwork was done or asked for, and all this was way cheaper than it costs me back home, where we have an enviable and near free medical MEDICARE program. Well done Britain!

Back home a private doctor or dentist visit costs me about £30 out of pocket, and one can never just walk in generally, and a chemist script for such things about £20 which is government subsided.

Glen

If only there was a Dentist about earlier that could have sorted you out :lol: :lol:

Hope all is OK now, looks like you got the best of the weather and perfect timing at Bodnant
gavin-h

Post by gavin-h »

Global Admin wrote: 03 Jun 2024 23:52 To my amazement, the Antibiotics were totally free at the pharmacist.
NHS prescriptions are free to UK citizens over the age of 60.

You should have paid £14.85 (150% of the standard prescription charge of £9.90) so guessing your accents sounded "English" to the Welsh pharmacist. :lol:

In many ways our NHS truly is excellent; yes of course it has problems - the main one being that it's a victim of its own success and is now doing things it was never designed to do. Medical science has advanced enormously in the last 75 years. As a result, we're all living longer and have more needs and more complex needs for NHS services but all in all I think it's as good as any alternative.
Global Admin wrote: 03 Jun 2024 23:52 Image
Interesting that they wrote the name of the local railway station on there rather than the name of the drug ;)

Hope the pills do their work quickly for you so you can get back to causing pain rather than suffering it. :mrgreen:
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

gavin-h wrote: 04 Jun 2024 06:26
NHS prescriptions are free to UK citizens over the age of 60 .... so guessing your accents sounded "English" to the Welsh pharmacist. :lol:

Well I am over 70, so maybe was eligible for TWO packs? :lol: :lol: :lol:

And if anyone in the UK thinks I sound British, they need an NHS supplied hearing aid FASSSSST! 8-)

goof wrote: 04 Jun 2024 05:07
If only there was a Dentist about earlier that could have sorted you out :lol: :lol:

Hope all is OK now

Yes, very bad timing! The soreness only started up again at dinner last night at the ozzie run pub when we had something way too chewy. Asked Dentist here to prescribe the antibiotic that allows a drink or two - Amoxicillin etc are often BADDD news with booze, as I know only too well.

Was violently ill in Azerbaijan once, after drinking all night with Scottish oilmen, when I had a 5am flight to Tel Aviv booked only hours later. Same sore tooth issue. The pharmacy there sold Amoxicillin in 250mg, 500mg and 1000mg tabs for about the same price per pack, and of course there no script needed, so I thought the 1000mg might work 4 times faster, and took a couple of extra, just to make sure. Kids, do NOT try that at home. :mrgreen:
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

Today we drove out to the prime UK Beach Resort of LLANDUDNO. Complete with huge pier, and Ferris Wheel, and amusement parks, and the gigantic 'GRAND HOTEL' etc. There might well be a Butlins hiding here too, but we sadly did not see it. And like other prime ‘beach’ resorts like Brighton and Blackpool, is complete with the obligatory miles of rocks/boulders totally lining the main ‘beach’ and the ever popular rotting seaweed, and mud, and quicksand etc! :mrgreen:

Had never in my life heard of Llandudno before, but 10,000s of Brits clearly have – the long main ‘beach’ street is lined with endless large hotels – I am guessing there are very many 1,000s of hotel rooms there. Amazing. 'Seeing is believing'. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Far more interesting was driving to the top of the nearby cliffside heights, via long windy hairpin bend roads, to ‘The Great Orme’. Barren, and stark, and windy, but with spectacular sea views, with wild Kashmir goats wandering free.

And LOTS of sheep on roads and grazing. This Mum sheep with 2 lambs were all grazing at the edge of a massive huge sheer drop!

1aaaa.JPG
1aa.jpg
1a.jpg
1.jpg
1aaaaaa.JPG
Brummie

Post by Brummie »

Llandudno is lovely.

I loved the sheep wandering the roads and on one country road we were stopped on, one sheep jumped up to my passenger window to have a look in, killed myself laughing, sticky beak. :lol:
bathurst stamper

Post by bathurst stamper »

gavin-h wrote: 04 Jun 2024 06:26 Interesting that they wrote the name of the local railway station on there rather than the name of the drug ;)
Now THAT is funny :lol: :lol: :lol:
RailStation.jpg
Great pics Glen & Margo :)
Bill H UK

Post by Bill H UK »

Glen - the state of the 'beach' in Llandudno is no accident - the rocks have only been there for 10 years, and have been the subject of local controversy:-
000a.jpg
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cer3lldwy4mo#:~:text=Hun ... e%20scheme.

Thanks for your mini-series! I've been enjoying your stranger's 'take' on an area I've known since childhood.
Do try to get to Anglesey.....
Collecting mint British Empire / Colonial up to the 1960s, Bridlington & East Yorkshire postal history, and wacky postcards.
lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

I think Glen is an expert on UK sandy beach avoidance tactics. :lol: :lol:

Just a couple of miles along the coast from Llandudno, stretching from Rhos-on-Sea to Colwyn Bay and beyond there are lots of sandy beaches.
Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind!
norvic

Post by norvic »

lesbootman wrote: 04 Jun 2024 18:07 I think Glen is an expert on UK sandy beach avoidance tactics. :lol: :lol:

Just a couple of miles along the coast from Llandudno, stretching from Rhos-on-Sea to Colwyn Bay and beyond there are lots of sandy beaches.
And although they visited St David’s they avoided Whitesands and all the other sandy Pembrokeshire beaches.
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

Bill H UK wrote: 04 Jun 2024 17:59
Glen - the state of the 'beach' in Llandudno is no accident - the rocks have only been there for 10 years, and have been the subject of local controversy:-

Gotcha ... so they TRUCK IN these boulders by the millions of tons ... only in Britain!

Maybe they just want to look like Brighton below - the most popular seaside resort in the UK? For 150 years .. they do not truck in any boulders as far as I know?

It is like Chip Butties, or The Tory Party - just give the British public 'what they LIKE'!

lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm glad you're having a good time in Wales Glen. You're obviously in good spirits (Welsh whisky for breakfast?).
Bill H UK

Post by Bill H UK »

I can remember Llandudno having a fine sandy beach. If flooding was an issue (and it certainly was), then surely some form of sea-wall would have been more sensible than dumping rocks on the beach. It is now virtually unusable, which is ridiculous.

Have to agree about Brighton, which is a truly awful beach, like a lot on the Channel coast. Whatever you do , avoid Chesil Beach in Dorset - 18 miles of pebbles piled tens of feet deep. You really wouldn't like that!
Chesil Beach, Dorset.
Chesil Beach, Dorset.
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

Bill H UK wrote: 04 Jun 2024 19:12

Have to agree about Brighton, which is a truly awful beach, like a lot on the Channel coast. Whatever you do, avoid Chesil Beach in Dorset - 18 miles of pebbles piled tens of feet deep. You really wouldn't like that!

Careful -- your passport might be revoked. And your NHS card. :lol:

Norvic is penning his email now to the Minister In Charge Of Treason as we speak. :mrgreen:

Luckily for you, he is a Tory, so will be voted out, before it gets even halfway up his intray. :lol:
Bill H UK

Post by Bill H UK »

....Or you could pop over to Yorkshire (not far in Aussie terms) and visit Brid! Sand all the way to the Humber!
000a.jpg
(We have our own Filey Bay malt whisky too)
norvic

Post by norvic »

Global Admin wrote: 04 Jun 2024 19:16

Have to agree about Brighton, which is a truly awful beach, like a lot on the Channel coast. Whatever you do , avoid Chesil Beach in Dorset - 18 miles of pebbles piled tens of feet deep. You really wouldn't like that!

Norvic is penning his email now. :mrgreen:
I’ve got no problem with coastal defences.

The authorities are determined that Norfolk will get smaller over the years. Here’s a Google map, and satellite photo of part of the Norfolk coast. If we had Llandudno-type boulders maybe we wouldn’t be losing so much residential land.

Screenshot 2024-01-17 at 14.20.52.png
Screenshot 2024-01-17 at 14.21.10.png
Fifty-foot high cliffs are washed away every year and people have to be rehoused.
Rigs
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by Rigs »

norvic wrote: 04 Jun 2024 21:43
Global Admin wrote: 04 Jun 2024 19:16

Norvic is penning his email now. :mrgreen:
I’ve got no problem with coastal defences.

The authorities are determined that Norfolk will get smaller over the years. Here’s a Google map, and satellite photo of part of the Norfolk coast. If we had Llandudno-type boulders maybe we wouldn’t be losing so much residential land.

ImageImage
Fifty-foot high cliffs are washed away every year and people have to be rehoused.
I guess we could re-house you?

We do it for other island nations around Australia - Tuvalu etc., so we could make room for more Brits.

I think you would all pass the immigration test with flying colours.

Oops, spoke too soon, no good at cricket - that would be a fail … :lol:

Speaking of which, u must be getting excited about taking Scotland on tomorrow in the T20 World Cup. Do Wales have a cricket team?

lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

Do Wales have a cricket team?

There's always Glamorgan Rigs. They play the occasional "home" match at Colwyn Bay, which is some distance from Glamorgan.

There's a team called Welsh Fire in The Hundred.

I don't know about a Welsh national side mind you.
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

lesbootman wrote: 04 Jun 2024 22:19
Do Wales have a cricket team?

There's always Glamorgan Rigs. They play the occasional "home" match at Colwyn Bay, which is some distance from Glamorgan.

There's a team called Welsh Fire in The Hundred.

I don't know about a Welsh national side mind you.
Cool - I shall look them up!
lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

Update: I checked and there have not been any Glamorgan matches at Colwyn Bay since the 2022 season. I think that is due to issues with the facilities at Colwyn Bay CC following a fire.
MargoZ

Post by MargoZ »

Well, sadly that's a wrap for our lovely time in Wales. Safely back at Heathrow anticipating 30 hours in the air starting tomorrow.

We have loved the mediaeval villages, 600 castles, stunning mountains, green, green landscapes everywhere, gardens, gentle birdsong, puffins, cream teas, barabrith, steam train trips, friendly locals, wonderful Stampboarders we met (and those we didn't who offered helpful travel tips) and pretty much everything about the trip.

Thank you to everyone who has joined in this thread- great to have good company on the trip.

And a final thought on beachgate:

Australia has fantastic sandy beaches pretty much all around its coastline...it's one of our defining tourist drawcards. I am sure some exist in the UK too but no need for us to seek them out elsewhere, especially in Wales which has so, so much to offer that we don't have.

Here is Glen discussing the state of Welsh beaches with a local 😀 😉

IMG_20240603_114125_238.jpg
Please click link below to "Like" stampboards on FACEBOOK -
https://www.facebook.com/stampboards/
tooler

Post by tooler »

Thank you MargoZ for the great photos. It looks like you had a fun time, have a safe trip back to OZ :D
I buy too much, can't sell enough - but the information here is priceless.
peterh

Post by peterh »

I’m so pleased you and Glen enjoyed your trip to Wales so much.

It’s fascinating to see somewhere so familiar to me through someone else’s eyes.

As I said before, it was great to meet you both and I hope you have a safe journey back home.
norvic

Post by norvic »

It’s a long way to come for only two weeks but you have packed it well.

Thank you for the travelogue and safe journey home.
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

The 2 weeks was from start to finish. 4 days of it was in planes and airports! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Why didn't Captain Cook discover Jersey or The Faroes etc. :)
Brummie

Post by Brummie »

Oh! That went fast, I thought we had another week of holiday. :cry:

Have a safe trip home and buckle up.
Philexx

Post by Philexx »

Have a safe flight. Thanks for the Holiday Updates :D
markyb23
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by markyb23 »

Thanks for sharing all of the lovely photos and stories of your trip MargoZ and Glen.

I'm glad you enjoyed holiday.

All The Best-Markyb.

Return to “Roll Call -- This Thread MUST be your *FIRST* Port Of Call here!”