Help Me to Identify These Scandinavian CHARITY SEALS

We all have and handle these from time to time. "Back of book", Revenues, "Cinderellas", duty stamps and all kinds of other stamp like labels. Discuss them all HERE!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Catweazle
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Help Me to Identify These Scandinavian CHARITY SEALS

Post by Catweazle »

A number of Scandinavian countries have issued charity seals around Christmas time, and during other times throughout the year depending on the issue. The USA, and other countries, have also similarly issued such non-postage stamps, such as those that were issued to raise money for Tuberculosis (TB).

Jay Smith describes them the Swedish ones as follows:
Jay Smith wrote:The term "seals" generally refers to "Charity Seals", which as a broad term includes Christmas Seals. Charity seals are typically fundraising seals issued by organizations, just as Christmas Seals, but not associated with Christmas. There have been a wide range of Charity Seals issued in Sweden, but, other than Christmas Seals, Swedish Charity Seals are far less often seen than from Denmark and many other countries. There are many Swedish Charity Seals that I know to exist, but which I have never seen, or of which I have only seen one or two examples in 46 years. Used examples are usually quite scarce and seals used (tied by postmark) on cover or card are extremely scarce.
This Swedish 'seal', for example, refers to the training of officers enrolled in the Swedish Military Officers Royal Society and Jay Smith reports that this is the first example in 46 years of dealing!
svenska-underbefalets-riksforbundet-yellow-blue_mint-fvf_170488_r_m.jpeg
Firstly, what is this stamp? I'm assuming that it is a cinderella. From which country was it issued, and what might be the approximate date of issue? It is postmarked on 17.12.65 but I cannot make out anything much else on the date stamp. Why was it issued?
What cinderella or stamp is this?
What cinderella or stamp is this?
Second, what is this one? It is postmarked in Helsinki (Finland). It looks to have been postmarked on 22.2.67 (or 1972?). The text in Finnish refers to the demand for a "helping hand".
Is this a Finnish 'charity seal' or cinderella?
Is this a Finnish 'charity seal' or cinderella?
I cannot seem to find either on Jay Smith's website but then I may have missed a webpage or else there are many more out there that he hasn't seen yet either.

Is there a catalogue that comprehensively lists these?
Collecting Stamps & Postal History of Molokai | Polar Regions in WWII | Chatham Islands | Lord Howe Island | Greenland et hoc genus omne
Jay Smith
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Re: Help Me to Identify These Scandinavian CHARITY SEALS

Post by Jay Smith »

The first item is a one of the 1965 Norwegian Red Cross Seal designs.

From 1962-1966 (inclusive) their seals were "strange" like this, all similar format, and mostly without a year date (might occur on one of ten designs in the sheet, or not). There were 10 different per sheet of ten and most of the catalogs don't illustrate all 10 of them (as in this case), so unless you know what else is in the sheet, you have a hard time figuring out what year a single is from.

As you pointed out the cancellation is 17 December 1965. The numerals after that appear to be 19-24 which would be 7 PM-midnight. The cancellation's town name is OSLO.

I have a sheet of the 1965 issue in stock and thus I can confirm that this single is from the 1965 sheet of ten designs.

These Norwegian Red Cross seals are listed in the ALL-Scandinavian Christmas Seal Catalog. As far as I know, I am the only source of this catalog located in an English-speaking country. The most recent edition was published in 2012, but there is also a 2017 supplement that lists newly-issued items and newly-discovered items. (The 2017 supplement is only useful in conjunction with the 2012 volume.) Both are in stock. See the full description ... this is massive, in color, and very easy to use.

https://www.jaysmith.com/Literature/lit002-scan.html#a_10048

=-=-=

The second item is a Finnish Charity Seal. Being a bilingual country, it has Swedish text at bottom and right, and Finnish text at top and left. The text says, in both languages "Salvation Army" and "A Helping Hand".

Other than the "HELSINKI 10" postmark showing a 22 February 1967 issue date (and a 21 hours time code), I do not have any further specifics to offer. I have seen this a couple of times as random singles like this one.

If there is a catalog (or website) with a comprehensive listing of Finnish Charity Seals, I am not aware of it (please do tell me if you know of one). The seals that are considered to be Christmas Seals are listed in the above-mentioned ALL-Scandinavian Christmas Seals Catalog.

=-=-=

That you didn't find these on my website is not a surprise. There are "only" about 60,000 items (SKUs) on my website and that is less than 2% of the different items actually in my stock and far less than 1% of the items if you count that which I have yet to sort out. :o (Anybody looking for a job; requires relocation to North Carolina, USA?) Adding these items to my website is on my to-do list. [The following ARE on my website so far: Åland, Faroe, and Iceland (National plus some others) Christmas seals; Sweden Flag Day charity seals; Norwegian Seamans Homes/Missions in Foreign Ports charity seals.]

As for "Is there a catalogue that comprehensively lists these?" the answer is yes (see above) for Scandinavian Christmas Seals. Otherwise, for other Scandinavian seals (and then also labels), the resources vary country by country. For the world as a whole, the answer is "no, not for the world but mostly yes, for Christmas seals, but country by country (or region). The total field of "seals" may be even larger than postage stamps -- and that does not count revenues, labels, poster stamps, etc., each of which is huge on its own.
Visit https://www.JaySmith.com for the best in all aspects of SCANDINAVIAN philately, as well as U.S. and WORLDWIDE stamps, collections, lots, etc. There are always interesting Specials available.
Ubobo.R.O.

Re: Help Me to Identify These Scandinavian CHARITY SEALS

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

Not Charity Seals gents but a new thread on Denmark Railway Parcel stamps. Input welcome.

https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=105442
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, lighthouses, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !

Return to “Cinderellas etc - all the stamps that are NOT regular postage stamp related”