Cape of Good Hope - Is this a plate scratch or something?

General things you want to know. Stamps you can't identify. Catalogue values you need to establish. Advice on ANYTHING stamp related you want. SOMEONE might be able to help. You can post photos of the stamps right here to assist . NOTE: - We have a nearby Forum for basic questions from *NEW* collectors.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Lundy
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Cape of Good Hope - Is this a plate scratch or something?

Post by Lundy »

Hi all

i found this in an old remaindered album and initially thought it was creased but i soaked the gunk off and looking again it appears to be something else, just wondered what others thought?? It does have a horrible tone/rust mark right on the flaw but still it is interesting

Lundy

yannis
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Re: Cape of Good Hope- Is this a plate scratch or something?

Post by yannis »

Some observations, this stamp is probably a watermark CA, one of the later issues, guessing from the octagonal datestamp which was introduced in 1887 (but known copies are all from 1888). Can you please confirm the watermark?

By this time the die was already modified as it was worn (they removed the outer line of the frame). My guess the plate was either a little deformed by this time and created the flaw or scratched or something got on the plate while printing.

To my knowledge it is not a constant variety. If you want to get rid of it please let me know! 8) The quality is terrible but you are right it is an interesting flaw.

Yannis

Lundy

Post by Lundy »

Thanks for your help Yannis, it is watermark Cabled Anchor on the 1884-1890 issue SG51.

I am not looking to get rid of it yet and have been trying to sort out my Cape of Good Hope stamps having trouble with some identifying the Triangles and finding some nice Basutoland cancellations! I dont suppose you would also know if these are unusual Yannis? Thanks again for your help :D

Lundy

yannis

Post by yannis »

Basutoland cancellations are not all that uncommon. Some of the smaller villages are hard to find though and any Basutoland on cover is worth something. (Are they BONCs). I have a lot of information on the Cape - which is my main specialty. If you need any help on the postmarks let me know.

Yannis

Lundy

Post by Lundy »

Hi there Yannis,

i have put a few of the more unusual bits of my Cape collection on this card and would be very grateful for any information on them, i also have some other postmarks i have not identified but did not want to be cheeky asking for too much help from you! :)
First stamp is an odd cancel unlike any others i have being sideways and i do not know which PO 227 belonged to
Second a cancel type i only have one of again is this unusual
Third the One penny overprint but the O seems dropped and is broken
Fourth is cancelled 281 which i believe is Maseru- Basutoland?
Fifth is Caledon St, but the N isthe wrong way round have you seen this before?
Sixth is part Teyateyaneng- Basutoland
Seventh part large 51 in Octagon??
Eighth is an odd postmark 8 i have no idea
Ninth is Mafeteng-Basutoland
Tenth Maseru-Basutoland
Eleventh Morija- Basutoland
Twelfth isanodd cancel i think german as appears Deutsch at bottom
Last is a Military Telegraph is this unusual?

I really appreciate your help :D
Thanks
John

yannis

Post by yannis »

Hi John

Glad to be of help. Please be feel to post as much as you like. :) This is what the stampboards are all about. Sharing information between all of us.

The Gem is the first one and you had some luck in acquiring it! It is a Horizontal Nine Bar Three Figure Numeral Canceller. This canceller is extremely rare. Only one example was recorded by Goldblatt. It has the numeral 227 and it was used in Kimberley. However, I have seen a number of copies on stamps and I have one on a wrapper, which for a long time foolishly thought it was the only copy. I also know of one other in a collection in the Netherlands.

The second one is an early registration mark. Worth something on a cover or in red. What is unusual about your stamp though, the value tablet is almost gone! I could hardly see the 'one shilling'!.

Most Cape overprints have many varieties like this 'broken letters', missing letters 'misplacements' and the like.

The BONC 281 has been identified correctly. It was used in Maseru in Basutoland.

The Single Circle Caledon, had me puzzled. I need to think about this one. The 'N' seems reversed and the rest is 'Cape Colony' but I am not sure about what looks like a number after the CALEDO'N'5?

Sixth identified correctly. Part Teyateyaneng- Basutoland. Fairly common, although Teyateyaneng was and still is a tiny place.

The '51' Octagon was a pre-stamp mark. It can be found though used fairly late in a different town from where it was originally allocated. 51 was originally allocated to Bathhurst (in pre-stamp period) but pressed again into service at Port Alfred from about 1877. You can appreciate this postmark more if you think that it was originally issued in 1844!)

The eighth is also a little Gem! It is a Barred Oval Diamond cancellation of Griqualand West. The number '8' was used at Langford and then at Douglas. All Barred Oval Diamond cancellations are very hard to find.

Mafeteng, Maseru and Morijia also are identified correctly. They are all Basutoland cancellations and are not difficult to find especially on 'standing hope' as due to the Boer War and displacement of populations there was considerable mail during this period.

You are right about the twelfth. It is a German postmark from German South West Africa. (Swakomund). The protectorate/colony was called DEUTSCH-SÃœDWESTAFRIKA (German South West Africa), with the capital at OTJIMBINGWE (1885) and since 1891 at WINDHUK. I couldn't read the date properly to see if it was a postmark during the South African occupation of SWA in the Great War.

The last one is a Military Telegraph overprint used in Bechuanaland in 1885. Greatly undervalued by Gibbons and dealers alike. A good copy is around fifty pounds. It is also a great piece of history, if you consider that they were overprinted during the Warren expedition which cheekily declared the country a British possession!

All in all a good 'buy'! Enjoy them! Cape of Good Hope stamps are generally undervalued and will be so for sometime, as most South Africans, where the majority of CGH collectors live, have been pounded by recessions, devaluations of currency and political problems for too many years. It is a great country to collect and visit!

Yannis

ozstamps
PLATINUM Shooting Star *10,000* Posts!
PLATINUM Shooting Star  *10,000* Posts!

Post by ozstamps »

Great detail Yannis. :)
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

yannis

Post by yannis »

ozstamps wrote:Great detail Yannis. :)
Thank you Glen, one day I aspire to know as much of the Cape as you know of Roos! :D

Yannis

josto
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by josto »

Hi!

I just had a look through a few COGH stamps. I found some different numeral cancellations. Are there any rated ones?

29; 248; 20; 320 or 329; 27; 206; 437; 524; 99; 145; 328; 204; 1; 2; 38; 29

I`ve not yet looked through the cds, is there anything special to have a look for?

Greetings

Lundy

Post by Lundy »

Hi Josto/Yannis,
Josto, i dont know enough about this area to help much, i did use the list on Pbbooks.com and put them in an xl spreadsheet but some numbers are duplicated or used at several offices and i dont know its accuracy but i was happy with it as a start, if you want me to email it or anyone else let me know! :)
From this it appears:
29 East London; 248 Kei Road or Oatlands; 20 Oudtshoorn; 320 St Johns River or 329 not listed; 27 Buxton or Simonstown; 206 St Marks; 437 Uniondale; 524 Aliwal North; 99 Vosburg; 145 Colesburg or Queenstown; 328 Idutywa; 204 Maraisburg; 1 Cape Town; 2 Port Elizabeth; 38;Aliwal North 29 East London
but no guarantees Yannis is the expert !

Yannis,

thank you so much for your help and information i found it really fascinating and it has got me looking at my Cape stamps again with added interest!! I have tried to enlarge the Caledon St- (i think) and the German cancellation, i have also scanned a few more and have some BONC numbers i wondered if you could identify as mentioned above i have put together a list ofmany hundreds but these are not on it!
The numbers are 53, 102, 165, 174, 227 is that still kimberley when vertical?, 246, 258, 262,300,316, 378, 455, 529,1127, 1297 and 1347.

As you will see below, i found 2 more horizontal 227's although one is badly creased and is a poor cancellation!!!!
There is a SG24 with missing left frameline, SG mentions these but are they unusual?
Probably a silly question but the next 2 say TO- I take it that is telegraph office??I really like the Gardens one!
Next a strange one looks like LFISH Bay? Any ideas?
Then 2 poor part TPO strikes just wondered if TPO's are unusual with COGH stamps.
I really appreciate you taking the time to tell me about these Yannis :) and if you would like to see them i have a few nice cds postmarks i can show too.

Thanks
Lundy :D

yannis

Post by yannis »

Hi! Guys

The identification for Josto's cancellations are correct. The list below is on the balance anything with Cape next to it, has been identified as from the Cape of Good Hope area, but nobody really knows until a proving cover appears!

53 - Kenhart
102 - Cape
165 - Cape
174 - Cape
227 - Kimberley. Yes it is Kimberley when vertical
246 - British South African Co.
258 - Cape
262 - Cape
300 - Fort Victoria, Rhodesia or Walfish Bay
316 - Cape
378 - Cape
455 - Cape
529 - Griquatown
1127 - Cape
1297 - Cape
1347 - Cape

The SG 24 missing frame is not unusual, in that the frame started breaking up and was eventually removed. It will be nice to see, if you can find a few of those to demonstrate the stages in the deterioration of the frame. (As the dies started wearing out Messrs De La Rue & Co. requested to have the original dies altered by removing the outer line frame. In addition they had the shading upon the figure of Hope and the vine leaves)

Here is the one shilling with the outer frame:

and here is the one penny without the frame:

The 'LFISH Bay' is a WALFISH BAY. Walfish Bay is actually in South West Africa ... sorry Namimbia, but was actually part of the Cape of Good Hope for a while. It is an interesting port the name actually means 'whale bay'. Being a port city its postmarks are quite common, look-out for a manual cancellation if you can find one!

The T.O. stands for telegraph office, you identified correctly. It can be found on stamps but sometimes was also used on covers.

T.P.O's are unusual on stamps of the Cape. If found on stamps it meant in most instances that they were posted on the train itself and this was not very common.

Just to add a bit of spice to the subject, here is a photo of the interior of a T.P.O train.

Some of the T.P.O marks are very rare (Albany Down and Zwartkops T.P.O)

Thanks for showing some interesting postmarks. Hope we can see some circular! :D
For Josto, here are some postmarks to look out for:

This circular one was in use in January 1882 and it has serified letters. Really a mystery datestamp, nobody seems to know why and by whom!

I still haven't seen one on a stamp, although I have two on the back of covers.

The straight line 'Clanwilliam' is also rare, which was used during the Boer war, probably because the postmaster either broke or lost the canceller.

Enjoy your stamps!

Yannis

COLIN

Post by COLIN »

Yannis

Great work

You might want to find a copy of Putzel's cancels of the Cape of Good Hope - this is probably the most complete work on this area. COGH cancels are not my thing though.

However, here is an example of the colour variation in the 2½ penny. Pale ultramarine and deep ultramarine (not the best examples) - SACC 58 and 58a. I have included the Catalogue page for refrence

Here are a few examples of COGH items used in Natal during the Union period

President - Edenvale Philatelic Society -South Africa
Vice President - Region 2 - Philatelic Federation of South Africa

OttawaMike
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!

Post by OttawaMike »

Nice to see you back, Colin. You've been missed!

yannis

Post by yannis »

You might want to find a copy of Putzel's cancels of the Cape of Good Hope - this is probably the most complete work on this area. COGH cancels are not my thing though.
Thanks Colin, I have a copy back in South Africa at my ex's house! :D Was too heavy to take with me to this part of the world. Putzel IS the authority on South African and South West Africa postmarks. Thanks for showing the scans. There is also a book by Frescura, which I haven't got.

Yannis

COLIN

Post by COLIN »

Yannis

I see Franco Frescura every 3 months (he and I are Federation officials) and yes you are quite correct about his work. However this work is been revised again by him and will be absolutly amazing. Covers every post office and includes any history about the post office - dates, postmasters etc etc.

josto

Post by josto »

Hi!

Perhaps anyone of the experts here could help me with this cover!? Any idea of it`s appropiate value?

Thanks

josto

Post by josto »

Hi!

And I`d like to have some information about this bisected Natal stamp! Is this something scarce? Also the postmark, which says something with german.

Thanks

COLIN

Post by COLIN »

josto wrote:Hi!

And I`d like to have some information about this bisected Natal stamp! Is this something scarce? Also the postmark, which says something with german.

Thanks
Hi

Looks like New Germany in Natal. Bisect is quite scarce - I would keep it

COLIN

Post by COLIN »

Perhaps anyone of the experts here could help me with this cover!? Any idea of it`s appropiate value?

Thanks
Considering the condition, torn and toned - about R1000.00 (Rand) in the local market.

josto

Post by josto »

COLIN wrote:

Thanks
Hi

Looks like New Germany in Natal. Bisect is quite scarce - I would keep it
Hi!

As I couldn`t find anything about a bisect variety of this stamp in SG, do you know any literature, where I can find anything?

Thanks

COLIN

Post by COLIN »

Josto

Bisects are not common and this is an exception. I will contact some specialsts in this field for comment.

Lundy

Post by Lundy »

Thanks again Yannis, more really interesting detail it is getting me a lot more interested in the area, and thanks Colin, i have been looking around at the Putzel books and Vera Trinder has:

£45.00 The Encyclopaedia of South African Post Offices Vol.1
£45.00 The Encyclopaedia of South African Post Offices Vol.2
£45.00 The Encyclopaedia of South African Post Offices Vol.3
£45.00 The Encyclopaedia of South African Post Offices Vol.4
£35.00 The Postmarks of South Africa Vol.1
£35.00 The Postmarks of South Africa Vol.2

Would it be the last 2 books you are referring to ??

I have scanned some of the more complete CDS cancellations i have apologies if they are not that clear i am still strugging to enlarge things with my new scanner, please excuse the last label it is in the wrong place.

The last three stamps i have put on as the first two seem to have a different postmark Kimberley but more like an arc? and next seems to read head office? the last one just seemed an early squared circle cancellation. Any thoughts/information very much appreciated :D :

Thanks Again
John :D

COLIN

Post by COLIN »

John

the last two are the ones you want.

josto

Post by josto »

Hi Colin!

What is your special area of interest within South Africa? I`ve got very many stamps from all the areas like COGH, Natal, OFS, Transvaal etc. and Union of South Africa. Maybe I could show something.

Greetings

yannis

Post by yannis »

Thanks
Josto the cover is in a poor condition. As with anything philatelic the condition of both the stamp and the cover affect the value. Would take a guess at about 50-100 pounds.

Yannis

yannis

Post by yannis »

John

Thanks for the additional images. Some general comments on collecting postmarks and as you know from you Kimberley ones is that Postmark books are to an extend indicative. For example Putzel records that he doubts that any identifiable mail exists for Klaastroom, but here is a cover!

I have shown this cover to show you what the 'Kimberley' postamark looks like on your '3' on 'three'. It is a Double Arc Datestamp. The Datestamp was distributed to post offices in the Cape of Good Hope Colony in limited numbers in 1857. Not very common.

The 'Salem' I would class as rare (Don't know about Putzel! :D ) as well as the Kei Road. The last one is a Squared Circle. It came into use probably in April or May 82.
You may be having an 'earliest recorded on stamp' here! If you want to part with it, I will send you a cover with the same postmark!

The parcels are quite common as well as most of the circular especially the ones with C.G.H. at the bottom. I have a bit of a write-up on the 'circulars' I will dig it out and post it later in the week.

Yannis

COLIN

Post by COLIN »

josto wrote:Hi Colin!

What is your special area of interest within South Africa? I`ve got very many stamps from all the areas like COGH, Natal, OFS, Transvaal etc. and Union of South Africa. Maybe I could show something.

Greetings
Hi Josto

Strange as it seems, I dont collect any Southern African states. I deal in them. My main interest areas are France, Belgium, Holland and Germany.I specialise in Belgian Railway stamps.

I have reasonable reference collections of:
Rhodesia
Natal
OFS
COGH
Transvaal
Kenya, Uganda and Tanganyika
India
Hungary
Czechoslovaka
Botswana

I am currently learning and collecting (mainly due to this forum)
Australia - up to decimalisation
New Zealand - the same

However, I have had in depth training on all aspects of Southern Africa as i have been fortunate to know or have known many of the worlds experts in these various fields.

In addition to this I have access to massive amounts of reference material - books, articles etc. I am also the Chairman of two standing committees of the PFSA (Philatelic Foundation of South Africa) covering Promotions, Youth and Novics. My greatest pleasure and reward comes from helping others to grow in this wonderfull hobby of ours. There are very few "collectors" and dealers in South Africa that i do not know and this also opens a vast resource of information to me.

COLIN

Post by COLIN »

Thanks

I have found the following information on Natal bisects.

As a result of an unprecededented rush on the two ½d provisionals of 12 March and 18 March 1895 (Natal 1d surcharged with the words half), an acute shortage of ½d stamps occured. The postmaster of Durban J W Coleman received telegraphic authorisation from the postmaster general in Pietermartizburg to authorise envelopes that were manually endorsed in manuscript "one penny received" - these are known as Colman covers with dates 18,20,21,22 and 23 March but there was a lack of these. So there are known examples of official bisects on cover.

What might have happen here is that the sender either bisected or persuaded the Postal Clerk to accept this bisect. However the date on your cancel seems to be October 9 (date illegable) and is out of this time frame allowed and one can only assume that this was another occurance of a similar stamp shortage.

Lundy

Post by Lundy »

Hi Yannis,

once again, thank you so much for your help and information, i appreciate my Cape stamps much more now and will keep my eye out for other nice postmarks at fairs etc to build on them. I am not very good with parting with anything at the moment which is a little problematic with the girlfriend but if i do you will be the first to know :D

Apologies for the long time to reply, i have been struggling to find time to visit the site as my baby is teething at the moment.

John

josto

Post by josto »

Hi Colin!

Thanks very much for your help and for the time you spend with searching! So as thbere is nothing particular known to this date I`ll put it aside and wait if something will turn up. But I don`t think it is quite as worthless as the normal 1d issue, isn´t it!?

Thanks

COLIN

Post by COLIN »

Thanks very much for your help and for the time you spend with searching! So as thbere is nothing particular known to this date I`ll put it aside and wait if something will turn up. But I don`t think it is quite as worthless as the normal 1d issue, isn´t it!?

Thanks
Josto

I would most certainly put this one aside, As i said before bisects are not common, and you have a beautiful proving piece.

renecgh

Post by renecgh »

COLIN wrote:

Greetings
Hi Josto

Strange as it seems, I dont collect any Southern African states. I deal in them. My main interest areas are France, Belgium, Holland and Germany.I specialise in Belgian Railway stamps.

I have reasonable reference collections of:
Rhodesia
Natal
OFS
COGH
Transvaal
Kenya, Uganda and Tanganyika
India
Hungary
Czechoslovaka
Botswana
Hi Colin and Josto,

Do You maybe have used multiples of the Cape of Good Hope Seated Hope rectangular stamps ?
I searching for items to buy and also for information about the biggest multiples who exist.

Rene

COLIN

Post by COLIN »

Hi Rene

Large multiples of any CGH items are very scarce in fact the piece you have shown is a beaut and I love the cork cancels. I am not aware of the largest multiple and will have to chat to some of my mates on this.

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

Just thought I put these here to look at.
I didn't know that the words CAPE OF GOOD HOPE as a watermark ran through the centre gutter on these stamps!

Anyway, mint not used, sorry.

Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

renecgh

Post by renecgh »

Hi Greg,

You have very nice gutterblocks.

I've a block from the 1d wm Crown CA. But there is not the words CAPE OF GOOD HOPE in the margins, but "CROWN" from CROWN AGENTS like the picture. Can You mail me a good scan from Youre blocks with a good visible watermark? What watermark ( ? SG#) are these stamps?

Rene

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

Hi Rene,
I post a scan soon, but the Wmks are the more recent Cabled Anchor.

The collection I bought seems to have much of a single sheet, except to fit in the stock book it was torn up! :shock: :cry:
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

josto

Post by josto »

COLIN wrote:

Thanks

I have found the following information on Natal bisects.

As a result of an unprecededented rush on the two ½d provisionals of 12 March and 18 March 1895 (Natal 1d surcharged with the words half), an acute shortage of ½d stamps occured. The postmaster of Durban J W Coleman received telegraphic authorisation from the postmaster general in Pietermartizburg to authorise envelopes that were manually endorsed in manuscript "one penny received" - these are known as Colman covers with dates 18,20,21,22 and 23 March but there was a lack of these. So there are known examples of official bisects on cover.

What might have happen here is that the sender either bisected or persuaded the Postal Clerk to accept this bisect. However the date on your cancel seems to be October 9 (date illegable) and is out of this time frame allowed and one can only assume that this was another occurance of a similar stamp shortage.
Hi!

Are there any new informations about the bisect piece? I`m going to get rid of all the commonwealth stamps from Africa I have, so I thought maybe something new has turned up.

Thanks a lot

donovink
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Re: Cape of Good Hope - Is this a plate scratch or something

Post by donovink »

Can't tell you much about the bisecting of the stamps in that period but can suggest that the postmark is from New Germany.

Regards

Donovin

Lundy

Post by Lundy »

Bizarrely, I just found another postmark with a reversed N in "Town" unfortunately I am not sure where it was used eg Grahamstown, Simonstown etc, anybody who knows more please let me know

Thanks

natalprof
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!

Post by natalprof »

A belated note on the Natal DLR penny bisect on piece - the 1895 Coleman postmaster provisionals authorized the postmaster to accept 1/2d in cash but bisects of the penny were not allowed - I have one on cover during the four days the provisionals were in use - it was taxed a penny - twice the deficiency in postage - although bisects of the De La Rue penny exist on cover also to make up the 7 1/2d rate to USA they were never authorized and generally are taxed - so an unusual item but not an accepted use

Morgan
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by Morgan »

Hi Lundy.

Your postmark is Grahamstown. It's not in Putzel's books but is shown in the addendum as Putzel # 16v.

Regards,
Morgan

Lundy

Post by Lundy »

Thanks again Morgan,

Nice to be able to label it accordingly,

I have been trying to find the Putzel book but it is tough,

I did pick up a few more postmarks which I will add to this when I get a chance, including a couple I cannot identify so any further assistance will also be appreciated :)

Morgan

Post by Morgan »

Hi Lundy.

I emailed Alex Visser. He took over the Putzel project after Ralph passed away. He has done a fantastic job and continually adds new information to the (electronic) addendum.

He has Putzel books and welcomes inquiries. I think I'll send you his email address via your email so he won't be subjected to spam. I'll supply it to anyone else who needs it as well.

The original Putzel books were a four book series that listed all known offices and information for each. Then came a 10 book series that showed the known marks for all known offices. To have the complete story you would have to have the whole group of 14 books. After that the updated information is electronic. I purchased these books one at a time as they came out over time. I have no idea what they would cost as a whole and postage is from South Africa. Surely they would show up somewhere in the UK eventually but I thought I'd let you know where you can get them now if you wanted to.

The electronic addendum is at http://www.up.ac.za/academic/civil/books/ . I contribute to this on an ongoing basis.

Your other option for "looking up" a particular postmark is to contact me either by email or via this board. I'm happy to help.

I'll send you Alex's email now.

Regards,
Morgan

Lundy

Post by Lundy »

Thanks again Morgan,

The link was also useful as I found my Caledon St postmark with reversed "N" listed.

I think I need to get the 2 encyclopedias, Cavendish Auction have a couple of literature auctions so I will keep my eye out there. I may drop Alex an email, to assess the cost from South Africa.

Thanks again

Lundy

Post by Lundy »

Hi all,

It has been a while since I picked up any Cape items but I recently acquired some great bits!!

Here are some of them:

I think this is an early Pearston cancel

Cyphergat with manuscript for the month

209 Maribogo, Bechuanaland

Is this 966 Upington Bechuanaland or 996?

Next some great CDs cancels!!

Lundy

Post by Lundy »

Starting with my favourite

Toise River

Kuruman Bechuanaland

Ripon

Ann's Villa

Adelaide

Can anyone make out this? Kommandants......

There are lots more, I will try to scan some

Lundy

Post by Lundy »

Just a few more interesting ones I picked up yesterday;

Is this Wagenaars Kraal- edit... Sorry now found it

Finally this looks like CT so I guess Cape Town but I have never seen this type before.... Any info appreciated

renecgh

Post by renecgh »

Lundy wrote:
Can anyone make out this? Kommandants......

There are lots more, I will try to scan some

I think this is a Cape postmark " KOMMANDANT'S KOP " very rare postmark (1895-1903)
René

renecgh

Post by renecgh »

Lundy wrote:Just a few more interesting ones I picked up yesterday;

The Barred Circle Numeral Canceller
BCN-1 No. 1 used in Swellendam

There exist more numbers:
BCN-1 No. 2 used at Rosebank (see cover)
BCN-1 No. 3 used ???
BCN-1 No. 4 used at Rieebeck West
BCN-1 No. 5 used ???

Image links inactive. Removed by moderator
Last edited by renecgh on 16 Jul 2012 01:42, edited 1 time in total.
René

Lundy

Post by Lundy »

Thank you very much Rene,

That is good news!! I can now label it up correctly in my collection.

The squared circle was a reasonably decent strike and i dont have many of them.

I have just been getting my Cape postmarks in order so I am finding a few mysteries!!

Thanks again

Return to “You ask the questions - SOMEONE will have the answers!”