First EVER Stamp Trivia night - Sunday July 22, 9pm AEST!

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

admin
Site Administrator
Location: That's on a need to know basis - and YOU do not need to know!

First EVER Stamp Trivia night - Sunday July 22, 9pm AEST!

Post by admin »

MargoZ came up with an impromptu Trivia night one evening a few weeks back, and despite being unadvertised in any way, and held pretty late at night, it got quite a rapid following, and a good time was had by all. :)

She has suggested we might have a more specific and more widely advertised one. This Sunday night 9pm AEST.

Margo is a librarian and has dug out a bunch of 40 x great stamp related questions.

Nothing too hard or complicated we stress. Perfect for even newer or younger collectors to join in with.

What we will do is have her post questions on this thread come Sunday evening, and the first Member to answer it correctly gets a point. Discussion on it can swirl if someone disputes the answer we have!

A question like:

"What is the world's most valuable stamp"

as an example, has no DEFINITE answer as the prime contender has not been on the market for decades, and the owner is locked up in Jail for Murder. (So we will not be asking that question!)

The most expensive stamp ever sold from Britain or Australia for example is far easier to be precise on. (Anyone who read my email/column this week knows the answer to the former! Hint.)

So, if the question posted is:

"What year were the very first triangular stamps issued?"

Whomever's post CORRECTLY answers it first wins that point. A wrong answer loses you a point, so rushing in with the first answer that comes into your head is not always wise!

Yes you can look these things up in catalogues etc if you wish of course. Some questions might need that. Like:

"What year were the first stamps from Nepal issued?"

I would know that unless I looked it up, therefore EVERY member has a pretty even chance unless you collect Nepal actively!

WHERE??

Right here on this very thread. :)

WHEN??

Eastern Australia - 21:00 AEST - Sunday 22nd July

Which is we understand - but please double check our figures here, is - https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock

New Zealand - 23.00 - Sunday 22nd July
London/Europe - 12:00 - Sunday 22nd July
Southeast Asia/Malaysia 19:00 - Sunday 22nd July
USA/Canada Eastern - 07:00 - Sunday 22nd July

We chose this time being Sunday when most folks are about, and it allows VERY easy participation for all Australians and Kiwis, and is even better for all Europeans and Asians, and for our band of America/Canadian regulars is not TOO tough to get up for, before your morning summer jog!

THE PRIZE .. well we got very creative here.

The winner will get an EXCLUSIVE user handle designator no other member has, and a 10 carat flashing white diamond designator replacing their current red, blue or gold star etc. You keep this until we have the next Trivia Night. It will look like this:

John Doe
Stampboards reigning
TRIVIA NIGHT King!

Indeed we set up a fake member thread showing EXACTLY how it will look on a Member handle here:

https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=1911

So if Fred Smith wins who now has 12 posts they can have us change you over to this. If Billy Brown with 1000 posts wins - same deal.

You may of course opt NOT to change what you now have, if you like your Red star or Gold star etc - your choice entirely.

There are few rules basically .. just turn up at your computer on the time shown, and we are good to go. The few rules are:

1. Glen Stephens will recuse himself but be present to act as adjudicator if things get deadlocked over an answer, and be the final word so questions can move on.

2. Members playing **MUST* have at least 2 posts to their name to participate. So for the ARMY of you who have joined, made just one "welcome" post and got your tacky yellow "Newbie" star still, this is a perfect chance to make another post ot two to get that ugly "TOTAL NEWBIE" hairshirt off your back! :idea: :idea: :idea:

Likewise if you have friends or buddies at the local stamp club who have NOT signed up yet, this is the perfect time to jog their memory and forward this email on to them please, or give them a call.

Also we have a LOT of Members I have not seen post for weeks - often months ..... come and join us in this one. :P

We now have well over 1,100 members worldwide and about 40,000 posts, and over 500,000 page views - and this is in a few short months of starting from ZERO. We really have a fun little on-line "Community" in place here, and please come and join in the club. We will have 3,000 members and 100,000 posts by year end.

All you need is a bowl of nibbles and a glass (or three) of something nice to get your grey cells working. And in most of Australia right now . .a good HEATER set to maximum!

Cheating ... sorry, further research on questions is permitted. (Heck how can we stop you?!) But speed is the going to be the key here I'd say.

How long will it take.. who knows .. it is like calling a stamp auction, some lots take a while to sell. My *GUESS* is we'll do 40 questions in an hour or so?

If we get 30 or 40 members logged in it will be a TON of fun I think, and we will do it again monthly or so if this one works out. We might change future ones to the person who get the right answer asks the next question, but can't answer of course, so that will really keep it interesting!

Thanks again to MargoZ for suggesting it, and writing the 40 questions, and see you all Sunday evening for ozzies -- and in your own time zone for everyone else!

Over to the Members... this is YOUR board and whether this works of not is squarely in your lap.

See you this Sunday evening AEST for STAMP TRIVIA NIGHT NUMBER ONE!

Add your comments and suggestions to this thread by all means!

Glen Stephens
pertinax
Author - 'Best Thread Of All Time' as voted by our members

Post by pertinax »

This sounds like it'll be a hoot!

Please be aware that I have to be at work at 10am the next morning though!! lol.

Scott
iomoon
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Post by iomoon »

Scott

That's better than trying to answer them at 7am. :cry:
pertinax

Post by pertinax »

I assume you wouldn't be awake at 7am Jim, unless of course Stromboli happens to be erupting!!
iomoon

Post by iomoon »

Scott

I'm like Glen, I never sleep!

I just catnap.

Sunday at 7am is a bit tricky though.
pertinax

Post by pertinax »

Glen and Margo,

It sounds a bit rough that only the quickest to answer correctly gets the point. This could disadvantage members on not-so-fast connections for instance.

Could it not be structured so that everyone gets a minute or two to answer, after which all correct answers get a point?

Obviously this would mean members' submitted answers would have to be held and not displayed for the minute or two - if this is possible??

Scott
Craig
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by Craig »

Sounds fun. Hope to see you there
Lakatoi 4
Location: First star on the right then straight on till morning ...

Post by Lakatoi 4 »

Sounds a great idea, definitely be in for this one 8)
Tony
"A cancelled stamp tells part of the story, a cover tells it all"
MargoZ
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by MargoZ »

pertinax wrote:Glen and Margo,

It sounds a bit rough that only the quickest to answer correctly gets the point. This could disadvantage members on not-so-fast connections for instance.

Could it not be structured so that everyone gets a minute or two to answer, after which all correct answers get a point?

Obviously this would mean members' submitted answers would have to be held and not displayed for the minute or two - if this is possible??

Scott
Fair point Scott.....we'll get the brains trust onto this as a possibility
Cheers
Margo
GlenStephens
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by GlenStephens »

Sadly our start up budget does not run to a Brain's Trust. Or even a full brain. :)

The Microsoft Default spat me out, and that's what we are working with right now. :D

Pertinax - the rules (few as they were!) were emailed to all members yesterday, and for Trivia Night #1 we really should try and stick with them.

Luckily few if any members seem to be using dial-up or most threads would not open with dozens - often 100s of photos in them!

If slow connections for anyone causes an issue, we can change horses half way through the evening.
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!
aone stamps
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!

Post by aone stamps »

Well I have 2 posts now, so I'll try and join the fun. :D
crosscrescent

Post by crosscrescent »

Aone Stamps,

Good for you. Sure the more the merrier and all for good fun in this Trivia. I still remember the first one and it was a night to remember.

Andrew
fletches1

Post by fletches1 »

That's better than trying to answer them at 7am.
You can always use a Sniper Program ... :)
Stamp Collecting does not have to be Expensive to be Fun ! - .
Stamp Mall over 75,000 items in my Online Store !! on 128 bit encrypted SSL Secure Server.
GlenStephens

Post by GlenStephens »

iomoon wrote:Scott

I'm like Glen, I never sleep!

I just catnap.

Sunday at 7am is a bit tricky though.
It was a juggling act to select a time that seems fair to all.

Making it 9pm AEST is not too late for where the great bulk of member are ... Australia.

That still makes it 11pm NZ which is getting late, and we have quite a few very active NZ members.

If we made it an hour EARLIER here to assist them, you'd need to get up at 6am.

We figgered in a warm American/Canadian summer all you fit guys would be up at dawn for your morning jog, 50 push ups, and then sit down for your first coffee at 7am along with the other members. :)
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!
brian31stamps
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by brian31stamps »

Can anyone supply me with a very large table so that I can arrange all my reference books and catalogues for a quick check :?: :?: :?:

Hey Margo - any objections if I use the questions in a future edition of our stamp club's monthly newsletter? At least by then I will have all the correct and copious alternative answers. :wink: :wink:

Brian
Start the day with a smile - its infectious
mikbatwine
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by mikbatwine »

Do not know about a large table Brian, but I will get plenty of exercise as my computer is one side of the room and my desk about 2 Mtrs away,with a Pitbull,Maltese & a Kelpie at my feet.
regards
Mike
There is no finish line
brian31stamps

Post by brian31stamps »

Question 1a

How many stamps will it take to stem the flow of blood after Mike has tripped over his assortment of dogs on his way to search for the answer to question 1?

Question 2

Which stamps don't animals like to lick off their owners?

Brian
iomoon

Post by iomoon »

Some of us still use dial-ups. :cry:

7am on east coast USA is 4am on the west coast.

No problem, only airheads in CA anyway :wink:
ozstamps
PLATINUM Shooting Star *10,000* Posts!
PLATINUM Shooting Star  *10,000* Posts!

Post by ozstamps »

Lucky for you then that New York is not in California. ;)
alfie
Green Star Less Than 10 Posts Member

Schedule

Post by alfie »

Could the time be varied once in awhile in the future? I can't convince myself to get up at 0400 (US left coast) even for the fun of a stamp quiz.
Lord Alfred the Little
alfie

Post by alfie »

iomoon wrote:Some of us still use dial-ups. :cry:

7am on east coast USA is 4am on the west coast.

No problem, only airheads in CA anyway :wink:
Quick geography lesson - there are several states other than CA on the left coast. These other state residents are not air heads - doodle heads, perhaps.
Lord Alfred the Little
MargoZ

Post by MargoZ »

Sorry Alfie! Hard to get time that suits everyone...if this is a goer we could perhaps try a Sat night [at] midnight in Oz (making it a convenient 7am for you)...alternatively you could migrate ?? :lol: :lol:
MargoZ

Post by MargoZ »

brian31stamps wrote:

Hey Margo - any objections if I use the questions in a future edition of our stamp club's monthly newsletter? At least by then I will have all the correct and copious alternative answers. :wink: :wink:

Brian
Brian...I'm very flattered ....if you think they'd be of general interest please feel free!

Alternativley you could get the whole group signed up to Stampboards and playing...or run a club trivia night (when it gets a bit warmer) :lol: :lol:

Cheers

Margo
iomoon

Post by iomoon »

Alfie

Alaskans, Oregonians and Washingtonians are obviously above Californians in terms of location (and probably intellect). :D :D :D
GlenStephens

Post by GlenStephens »

iomoon wrote:Alfie

Alaskans, Oregonians and Washingtonians are obviously above Californians in terms of location (and probably intellect). :D :D :D
Well at least they never elected a Gorilla who can't fully speak English yet, to be THEIR Governor. :D
fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

Well, gotta go now and get the Red and the Nibblies for tonight.

I'LL BE BACK

Norm
GlenStephens

Post by GlenStephens »

Boy you must be a long way from a shopping centre is all I can say ... doesn't start for 8 hours yet. ;)
Last edited by GlenStephens on 22 Jul 2007 17:32, edited 1 time in total.
fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

Yes, Glen, just made it back (my transport kangaroo was acting up, and hopping all over the place)

Silly question. De we know which Forum this thread is going to start on?

It would be a big help to the participants.

Norm
GlenStephens

Post by GlenStephens »

fromdownunder wrote:
Silly question. De we know which Forum this thread is going to start on?
Great point Norm .. I think we'll do it on this very thread. I just added this note below to post #1 and am just about to email board members to remind them, and will add that note too.

See you all here in a couple of hours!

WHERE??

Right here on this very thread. :)
Lakatoi 4

Post by Lakatoi 4 »

Norm, that's the same question I was going to post. The announcement is in several forums and it may be a bit confusing come 9:00pm.

Perhaps a separate forum would be good as I imagine this will become a regular thing and we can keep all the posts etc. nice and organised and in the one section forever.

P.S. Oops Glen, after previewing this & posting I have just seen your post. Anyway, I don't know if a new forum is any help, maybe a bit late at this stage.
Tony
"A cancelled stamp tells part of the story, a cover tells it all"
fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

Lakatoi 4 wrote:Perhaps a separate forum would be good as I imagine this will become a regular thing and we can keep all the posts etc. nice and organised and in the one section forever.
Tony, wait till Margot sees that, and get ready to duck! :D

Norm
MargoZ

Post by MargoZ »

Too late for the warning Norm....she just did......

Tony- this is for you to sit on tonight...... 8)

Image link inactive. Removed
GlenStephens

Post by GlenStephens »

This is weird .. I sent reminder emails out in the last hour or so I THOUGHT to all members of the board, but seems like a ton of folks did not get them, as several have advised they did not whom I asked.

Can members please post here if they did NOT get an email reminder in the last couple of hours? Thanks.

Board email software seems a little screwy somehow. :twisted:
Lakatoi 4

Post by Lakatoi 4 »

MargoZ wrote:Too late for the warning Norm....she just did......

Tony- this is for you to sit on tonight...... 8)
I get your point :shock:
wannabgeek
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by wannabgeek »

umm ahh mmm, Have we started yet?
Happiness is a journey, NOT a destination.
MargoZ

Post by MargoZ »

We kick off in about 5 minutes-last call for drinks, nibblies and loo-stops.....(also I need a few more minutes to consider all of the bribe offers ) :lol:

Margo
wannabgeek

Post by wannabgeek »

ok then I shall loo stop too. As for the bribe, a very queenly crown
brian31stamps

Post by brian31stamps »

$1500.00 enough :?: :?: :?:
MargoZ

Post by MargoZ »

Your, looking good Brian...$Aust or $US??
librarianc
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Post by librarianc »

MargoZ wrote:We kick off in about 5 minutes-last call for drinks, nibblies and loo-stops.....(also I need a few more minutes to consider all of the bribe offers ) :lol:

Margo
Bribes.........darn it. Go away for a day and see what you miss.......now where are those Cape triangles..........

John A
Armstrong'sStamps**http://www.armstrongsstamps.ca
Canada Errors, Freaks and Oddities (EFO) - Knowledge is Key.....Libraries work!
scurralous

Post by scurralous »

I need a few more minutes to consider all of the bribe offers
I didn't even offer a bribe ??? :shock:
pertinax

Post by pertinax »

How does this work?
Do we have to refresh the screen until the newly posted question comes up?
fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

pertinax wrote:How does this work?
Do we have to refresh the screen until the newly posted question comes up?
You Don't :twisted:

Norm
wannabgeek

Post by wannabgeek »

seems like it. Would be nice if we could have a live forum
alltorque

Post by alltorque »

bring it on..... :lol:
MargoZ

Post by MargoZ »

Could someone please volunteer to keep an eye on how many member logged in and post on the thread on the max number of members
Many thanks Margo

[at] 8.55 this was it
Registered Users: alltorque, BoB, brian31stamps, doug2222usa, firstdimension, fromdownunder, kedwaven, Lakatoi 4, librarianc, MargoZ, mikbatwine, mobbor, Paula Wilkinson, scurralous, stamper, unhinged_specimen, wannabgeek
brian31stamps

Post by brian31stamps »

Nothing Yet?
MargoZ

Post by MargoZ »

OK...is everybody ready?

Here we go... :lol:
MargoZ

Post by MargoZ »

QUESTION 1
Which member of the Universal Postal Union (UPU) is the only country not required to name itself on its postage stamps?
BoB

Post by BoB »

MargoZ wrote:Could someone please volunteer to keep an eye on how many member logged in and post on the thread on the max number of members
Many thanks Margo

[at] 8.55 this was it
Registered Users: alltorque, BoB, brian31stamps, doug2222usa, firstdimension, fromdownunder, kedwaven, Lakatoi 4, librarianc, MargoZ, mikbatwine, mobbor, Paula Wilkinson, scurralous, stamper, unhinged_specimen, wannabgeek
Yeah BoB will, eye will leave sum kwetchuns four da ova's

Cheers frum BoB

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”