Stamp Trivia night #2 - Sunday August 12, 9.30pm AEST!

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

GlenStephens
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Stamp Trivia night #2 - Sunday August 12, 9.30pm AEST!

Post by GlenStephens »

MargoZ came up with an impromptu Trivia night one evening a few weeks back, and despite being unadvertised in any way, and held pretty late at night, it got quite a rapid following, and a good time was had by all. :)

She has suggested we might have a more specific and more widely advertised one. We did that July 22, and dozens of members worldwide joined in - from NZ, Canada, USA, Europe, Asia and all over Australia, and we had a great night - and a great win by Pertinax - who we hope is back to DEFEND his glittering crown . Full details and all questions from that night are here:

https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=1913

And as you can see we had many dozens of members on line during it as logged carefully all through by BoB - we set all all time posting record in an hour - over 800 posts and over 700 thread views:

https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=1973

MargoZ is a librarian and has dug out another bunch of 30 great stamp related questions.

Nothing too hard or complicated we stress. Perfect for even newer or younger collectors to join in with.

What we will do is have her post the questions in an ever more regulated manner on this thread come Sunday evening, to allow more member banter between questions, as we have 10 less questions. The first Member to answer it correctly gets a point. Discussion on it can swirl if someone disputes the answer we have!

A question like:

"What is the world's most valuable stamp"

as an example, has no DEFINITE answer as the prime contender has not been on the market for decades, and the owner is locked up in Jail for Murder. (So we will not be asking that question!)

The most expensive stamp ever sold from Britain or Australia for example is far easier to be precise on. (Anyone who read my email/column this week knows the answer to the former! Hint.)

So, if the question posted is:

"What year were the very first triangular stamps issued?"

Whomever's post CORRECTLY answers it first wins that point.

Yes you can look these things up in catalogues etc if you wish of course. Some questions might need that. Like:

"What year were the first stamps from Nepal issued?"

I would know that unless I looked it up, therefore EVERY member has a pretty even chance unless you collect Nepal actively!

WHERE??

Right here on this very thread. :)

WHEN??

Eastern Australia - 21:30 AEST - Sunday 12th August

Which is we understand - but please double check our figures here, is - https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock

New Zealand - 23.30 - Sunday
London/Europe - 12:30 - Sunday
Southeast Asia/Malaysia 19:30 - Sunday
USA/Canada Eastern - 07:30 - Sunday

We chose this time being Sunday when most folks are about, and it allows VERY easy participation for all Australians and Kiwis, and is even better for all Europeans and Asians, and for our band of America/Canadian regulars is not TOO tough to get up for, before your morning summer jog!

THE PRIZE .. well we got very creative here.

The winner will get an EXCLUSIVE user handle designator no other member has, and a 10 carat flashing white diamond designator replacing their current red, blue or gold star etc. You keep this until we have the next Trivia Night. It will look like this:

John Doe
Stampboards reigning
TRIVIA NIGHT King!

Indeed we set up a fake member thread showing EXACTLY how it will look on a Member handle here:

https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=1911

So if Fred Smith wins who now has 12 posts they can have us change you over to this. If Billy Brown with 1000 posts wins - same deal.

You may of course opt NOT to change what you now have, if you like your Red star or Gold star etc - your choice entirely.

There are few rules basically .. just turn up at your computer on the time shown, and we are good to go. The few rules are:

1. Glen Stephens will recuse himself but be present to act as adjudicator if things get deadlocked over an answer, and be the final word, so the questions can move on.

2. Members playing **MUST* have at least 2 posts to their name to participate. So for the ARMY of you who have joined, made just one "welcome" post and got your tacky yellow "Newbie" star still, this is a perfect chance to make another post ot two to get that ugly "TOTAL NEWBIE" hairshirt off your back! :idea: :idea: :idea:

Likewise if you have friends or buddies at the local stamp club who have NOT signed up yet, this is the perfect time to jog their memory and forward this email on to them please, or give them a call.

Also we have a LOT of Members I have not seen post for weeks - often months ..... come and join us in this one. :P

We now have well over 1,250 members worldwide and about 50,000 posts, and over 650,000 page views - and this is in a few short months of starting from ZERO. We really have a fun little on-line "Community" in place here, and please come and join in the club. We will have around 100,000 posts by year end.

All you need is a bowl of nibbles and a glass (or three) of something nice to get your grey cells working. And in most of Australia right now ..... a good HEATER set to maximum!

Cheating ... sorry, "further research on questions" is permitted. (Heck how can we stop you?!) But speed is the going to be the key here I'd say - same as last time.

How long will it take.. who knows .. it is like calling a stamp auction, some lots take a while to sell. My *GUESS* is we'll do 30 questions in an hour or so?

If we get 30 or 40 members logged in again it will be a TON of fun I think, and we will do it again monthly or so if this one works out. We might change future ones to the person who get the right answer asks the next question, but can't answer of course, so that will really keep it interesting!

Thanks again to MargoZ for suggesting it, and writing the questions, and see you all Sunday evening for ozzies -- and in your own time zone for everyone else!

Over to the Members... this is YOUR board and whether this works of not is squarely in your lap.

See you this Sunday evening AEST for STAMP TRIVIA NIGHT NUMBER TWO!

Add your comments and suggestions to this thread by all means!

Glen Stephens
Last edited by GlenStephens on 08 Aug 2007 05:06, edited 1 time in total.
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!
brian31stamps
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by brian31stamps »

Re Trivia night - lots of fun

Is there a way to view the next question without having to refresh the page constantly?

Brian
Start the day with a smile - its infectious
MargoZ
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by MargoZ »

Hey Brian.....just enough time to upgrade to ultra-high speed broadband so you can knock off Pertinax!

Margo 8)
GlenStephens

Post by GlenStephens »

Margo is the one totally in charge of posting the questions, but I think she did say on last thread her plan was to space each question this time at approx 3 minute intervals.

And the answer of previous question would be given with each new question, when it was posted.

That will save a lot of refreshing, if you have a stopwatch with your time ticking back from 3 minutes. :D

Allows plenty of on line banter about the current question and answers, and any objections to be raised .. and also allows for any coffee, wine or loo breaks to be scheduled in, if you do not know the answer. 8)

Glen
brian31stamps

Post by brian31stamps »

MargoZ wrote:Hey Brian.....just enough time to upgrade to ultra-high speed broadband so you can knock off Pertinax!

Margo 8)
Thanks Margo

I already am using broadband - what I need is a typing course so that I can post quicker plus a few more brain cells.
Then I can call myself

The fastest digit in the west :twisted: :twisted:

Brian
fromdownunder
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Post by fromdownunder »

Just one further suggestion - I recommend that scans NOT be allowed in any responses - some of our members (e.g., me) with slower machines will not be able to refresh as quickly if their machines are slowed down because of a scan.

Norm
MargoZ

Post by MargoZ »

Good point Norm
iomoon

Post by iomoon »

Dang, I'll still be on dial-up.

Oh well.

Better than not being able to participate.

I collect Volcanos on stamps
GlenStephens

Post by GlenStephens »

iomoon when Texas finally joins the Union you will be sweet. :D
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!
crosscrescent
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by crosscrescent »

Looking forward to this Sunday night. Not looking to win, just to participate, laugh a lot, share the banter and comeradie and just be glad to be alive.

A big thank you in advance to our gracious Margot for all that organising, the Glen who has to do play the role of arbitrator and get fried in the process sometimes.

Cheers
Andrew
MargoZ

Post by MargoZ »

Thank you for your very kind words Andrew...just for that I'll include a Malaysian question :lol:

Cheers
Margo
crosscrescent

Post by crosscrescent »

Margot,

Thanks and I'll probably fumble on that one anyway...but who cares..it's not about the winning, it's about the participating.

Cheers
Andrew
iomoon

Post by iomoon »

I protest.

Blatant favoritism!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D

crosscrescent

Post by crosscrescent »

Iomoon,

I'm sure Margot will put one on volcanoes. :wink:

Andrew
MargoZ

Post by MargoZ »

crosscrescent wrote:Iomoon,

I'm sure Margot will put one on volcanoes. :wink:

Andrew
You're absolutely right, Andrew...but if he protests too much I'll take it out again! :wink:
crosscrescent

Post by crosscrescent »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You made my day Margot

Andrew
iomoon

Post by iomoon »

Because I answered Andrew's Malaysian question last time, I'll let him answer the volcano question this time, and I shall be mum.

(unless........)

:D :D :D :D

crosscrescent

Post by crosscrescent »

Iomoon,

I was laughing so much the last time, my face was really red and I thought I was almost going to erupt like a you know what....(clue..the word starts with a v) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Andrew
waroff49

Post by waroff49 »

Been in training, getting the neurones up to speed, hope I don't forget to join in like the last one. I think I'll set the alarm now-plays reveille(Navy), quite a swinger...
Waroff49
The last chapter of the Never_Ending Story is being written.
waroff49

Post by waroff49 »

Just had another thought.....What if.... the 50,000 comes up during the quiz???

Edit: Nuh... too far away!!! With only 600+ to go , don't think it will last the distance.
All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Who is Online
Who is Online Our users have posted a total of 49370 articles
We have 1261 registered users
The newest registered user is Trent
In total there are 10 users online :: 8 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests [ Administrator ] [ Moderator ]
Most users ever online was 150 on Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:53 pm
Registered Users: clanmackay, crosscrescent, doug, doug2222usa, golovacz, Lakatoi 4, scurralous, waroff49
Waroff49
The last chapter of the Never_Ending Story is being written.
GlenStephens

Post by GlenStephens »

Nah .. the 50,000 will be done by Friday night easy. :)
gmoney
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!

Post by gmoney »

Will try to make it to the trivia night but not sure as Sunday nights are not great for me....if I don't make it have fun!
iomoon

Post by iomoon »

GlenStephens wrote:Nah .. the 50,000 will be done by Friday night easy. :)
I'll get this done by thursday lunchtime!!

Craig

Post by Craig »

Yeah hope to make it this time. I'll even write myself a note. 11:30 seems a bit late, didn't it start half an hour earlier last time? Well who knows. Have to get up at 6:30 monday, so maybe I'll manage a power nap sunday arvo. Had a few laughs reading the last trivia night. See you Sunday!
MargoZ

Post by MargoZ »

Two days to go.....

We are all on track for Sunday [at] Stampboards Trivia Headquarters.

Questions and answers all complete with additional quality control this time! A sincere thank you to David Benson, who has kindly agreed to cast his expert eye over all questions and answers.

So woe betide anyone who disputes them...you will lbe challenging the formidable combination of Glen and David (many DECADES of philatelic expertise between them) 8) 8)

On the other hand.... both will be excluded from competing for the glittering prize, so everyone elses chances are improved a little :lol:

Thanks again to David and see you on Sunday

Margo
crosscrescent

Post by crosscrescent »

Margot,

Will get the following ready:
1. tissue paper (to dry my sweaty fingers)
2. damp cloth (back up if tissue paper does not do the job)
3. steady chair (to ensure I don't fall from all that laughter)
4. mattress (in case I do fall from the chair)
5. clean pair of spectacles (so I don't misread questions)

...yup, that's about complete.

Andrew
MargoZ

Post by MargoZ »

Great list Andrew...but you forgot the snacks: half salty egg :lol:

Margo
crosscrescent

Post by crosscrescent »

Margot,

Maybe a few hard boiled eggs sandwiches and a mug of hot coffee would probably add a nice touch.

Andrew
ozstamps
PLATINUM Shooting Star *10,000* Posts!
PLATINUM Shooting Star  *10,000* Posts!

Post by ozstamps »

No in Malaysia start with a cup of COLD coffee ... it will get hot fast enough. :)
fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

I have reached a hypothesis, based on my careful analysis of the last quiz, that my computer and keyboard got slower and less accurate as the evening progressed.

Options:

1. Bigpond was informed by Glen (or Margo) to deliberately slow down my responses because Geelong (and Storm) are simply too good for everybody;

2. Somehow, my PC had an allergic reaction to alcohol fumes eminating from empty bottles of Red.

I will be quite happy to test the second assumption again, come Sunday evening.

PS, I vote for three 10 question segments, with cork and decanting breaks at the end of each.

Norm
iomoon

Post by iomoon »

Dear Abby

I need advice.

This next trivia contest takes place at 7:30am EST US.

Do I

1) Circumvent the blue laws by stocking up on alcohol on saturday night and not drinking it till Sunday morning or

2) Drink lots of coffee to try to clear the hangover

yours truly
Not-knowing in NY

MargoZ

Post by MargoZ »

Dear Not Knowing in NY (aka Sleepless in Scarsdale)

Clearly you do not want to be 'tired and emotional' during this major event on the philatelic calendar.

Neither do you want to arouse the disapproval of your neighbours by NOT having the requisite number of empty Bollinger bottles sitting out by the trash (next to the Mercs and Jags).

A solution is at hand.......

I am told by those who enjoy a drop ( well, by alcoholics actually) that you can alternate a glass of wine then a double shot short black for hours on end with no adverse effects.

An additional bonus is that both wine and coffee are NATURAL products- lovely fresh little coffee beans plucked from the bushes in highlands of Colombia by virginal indigenous women and plump shiraz grapes freshly harvested in the early morning in the heartland of the Barossa by (probably not so) virginal Australian farm women........

And, rest assured, that both your quiz master and adjudicator will be observing the highest standards of sobriety for the course of the evening :lol: :lol: :lol:

Abby
iomoon

Post by iomoon »

oops, I was on the wrong channel.

Dear Margo

What's a Bollinger?

It is known world-wide that I ride a bicycle not one of those wednesday cars!

Are you trying to pull the wool over my eyes about those (ahem) un-used Australian women?

It seems that coffee with a shot of Jack Daniels might be the way to go.

Or perhaps there is a better recipe.

I'm open to ideas.

Good to hear the quiz master and adjudicator will be fresh as daisies.!!

Geoff Sherrington
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Trivia night

Post by Geoff Sherrington »

Can a professional give us advice on how to set up split screens or whatever will help so that we can answer as soon as the question appears?

Last time I kept getting pop-ups and it ruined my inevitable chance to win.

By the way, I am a clairvoyant with Alzheimer's disease, so I have already forgotten the answers to the questions that I predicted were right for tomorrow. So could you update my memory be emailing the naswers to me again, much as you would help a frail old lady to cross a busy road?

Thank you Geoff Sherrington.
Anything can be done; but nothing can be done for the first time. (Sir Humphrey in "Yes Minister").
GlenStephens

Re: Trivia night

Post by GlenStephens »

Geoff Sherrington wrote:
Last time I kept getting pop-ups and it ruined my inevitable chance to win.
Geoff, stampboards has absolutely NO pop-ups, NO pop-unders, NO banners or NO ads of ANY kind.

Whatever you are referring to had NOTHING to do with this board.

Glen
pertinax
Author - 'Best Thread Of All Time' as voted by our members

Post by pertinax »

Hey Brian.....just enough time to upgrade to ultra-high speed broadband so you can knock off Pertinax!
I have every expectation that, with a more appropriate number of early GB questions (ie less), I shall indeed be knocked off my perch!!

Scott
BoB

Post by BoB »

fromdownunder wrote:I have reached a hypothesis, based on my careful analysis of the last quiz, that my computer and keyboard got slower and less accurate as the evening progressed.

Options:

1. Bigpond was informed by Glen (or Margo) to deliberately slow down my responses because Geelong (and Storm) are simply too good for everybody;

2. Somehow, my PC had an allergic reaction to alcohol fumes eminating from empty bottles of Red.

I will be quite happy to test the second assumption again, come Sunday evening.

Norm
G'day Norm, BoB ere.

Ave ya bean hittin da red whine agin? :wink:

How many moore excewsis will ya cum up wif dis thyme rownd??? :mrgreen:

Cheers frum BoB

PS. Margo, BoB - dats me, wood lyke ta donate me services agin as da Offichull rechord keepa of how many dare are on lyne.

Dat way eye have a ligitimate excuse four knot winnin :shock:
GlenStephens

Post by GlenStephens »

Bob .. thanks from us all for your excellent record keeping from Trivia night #1:

http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?p=42983#42983

Members might be interested to look back on it. It was a really interesting mix of members, and the content of members varied a lot over the period of the quiz.

We'd be delighted if you can do that record keeping again. :D

A record number of active members were on line. No doubt about it. I was not logged on at any time as Margo had the computer under her control. :)
Paula Wilkinson
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by Paula Wilkinson »

Hi all. I'm going to have another crack at this quiz tomorrow night- I think it's a great idea, but I was one of those who struggled to keep up with all the 'refreshing'. See you there! Paula NZ
Geoff Sherrington

Trivia night excuses

Gee, Glen, can't a slow old fella insert a few excuses for losing in advance?

(What actually happened last time was that I had been installing a new Norton 360. While mutitasking it kept on asking me more questions. Never, ever would I prejudice my chances by claiming foul play or incompetence on the part of the organisers. I'm cunning enough for that).

But are you outlawing one-upmanship as well?

Have not seen my private list of answers from Margo yet. Never mind, I'll have to make up 30 Qs of my own and make sure I can get 100%, just to keep the illusion that the brain remains tip-top.

With the very best goodwill Geoff.
Anything can be done; but nothing can be done for the first time. (Sir Humphrey in "Yes Minister").
brian31stamps

Post by brian31stamps »

MargoZ wrote:Thank you for your very kind words Andrew...just for that I'll include a Malaysian question :lol:

Cheers
Margo
Margo
Thought I'd help out and set an alternative set of 30 points via a trivia competition which I am sure to win. Have a look at The Campbelltown District Philatelic Society Newsletter thread under the clubs heading. Maybe you could post these and at least give me a chance for one point.
Thanks again for offering to receive all the banter, challenges and fun filled comments from fellow stampers who get their kicks via a computer :wink: :wink:

Brian
MargoZ

Post by MargoZ »

Firstly Bob
Thank you so much for your kind offer to be official record keeper -that would be great.
(BTW- love the family pic...but scared to ask about Bubba's parentage :o )

Well Geoff and Brian...alternative 30 questions??

I have taxed my brain to the limit to come up with my 30 questions and both of you haver managed to whip up additional lists of 30 questions in the twinkling of an eye!

Glen will sack me as quizmaster :cry: :cry: :cry:

However, here's a secret hint (just for you two)...next time I think all answers will be directly from stampboards...there is such a wealth of info on the board now I think it would be great to trawl it and compose questions directly from the discussions and information on the board ( including The Campbelltown District Philatelic Society Newsletter thread)-what do you think?

Oh...before I forget..happy to accept ALL bribed and take PayPal!

Cheers Margo
brian31stamps

Post by brian31stamps »

Oh...before I forget..happy to accept ALL bribed and take PayPal™™!
Cheers Margo

Glad to hear that Margo - not long to go now and my Pay Pal account is fully cashed up with a new account heading of bribes for Margo- Inelda's red shoe surplus store.

First question: Do we also have to supply bribes to the question vetter David?

Brian[/b]
MargoZ

Post by MargoZ »

I don't think so.....don't think he's fussed about red shoes :lol:
iomoon

Post by iomoon »

I think D2 would look great in red stilettos, with probably fishnet to go with them.

Nice to see you up early for the big event!

MargoZ

Post by MargoZ »

Just limbering up [at] the keyboard :lol:
BoB

Post by BoB »

MargoZ wrote:Firstly Bob
Thank you so much for your kind offer to be official record keeper -that would be great.
(BTW- love the family pic...but scared to ask about Bubba's parentage :o )

Cheers Margo
G'day Margo, BoB ere.

Know wurries abowt da rechord keepin.
Abowt Bubba BoB, lets jist say me baybee bruvva will bee lyke da sun eye neva had. :shock:

Cheers frum BoB
crosscrescent

Post by crosscrescent »

Margot,

...er...ssshhhh....do you accept Malaysian Ringgit?...I got a small bunch...
:wink:

Slyly
Andrew
Geoff Sherrington

Margo - more questions

Jokes aside, I'll pay repentance for my fooling around and send you a list on 30 new ones in the next week. I hope that you might find some handy. I'll do a straight job on them, no embedded fishooks. I used to do the Times crossword daily, and then I got into designing crosswords, so I know that it is not a small job to compose 30 watertight questions, Glad to help and thanks for the specific tip for tonight, which of course nobody else was able to read on this public bulletin board.

Cheers Geoff.
pertinax

Post by pertinax »

I have taxed my brain to the limit to come up with my 30 questions
Margo,

At some stage down the track when you have no more questions left, maybe 30 of us can throw one question in each. That would make for a very interesting quiz I feel (not that yours doesn't), with questions from all our specialised areas - they could be designed specifically to impart some small piece of not-generally-known info.

Scott

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”