Australia Philatelic Numismatic Covers or 'PNC's. Discuss here!

A *LARGE* percentage of stamp collectors also collect various numismatic areas. This is YOUR little corner of the board to ask questions, seek advice, check values, and chat. Please join in!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Geoff Sherrington
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Post by Geoff Sherrington »

Philatelic Bureau.
Anything can be done; but nothing can be done for the first time. (Sir Humphrey in "Yes Minister").
Random
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by Random »

This was the problem when AP stuck their sticky fingers into the FDC market

To allow themselves to produce fdc and have them in the post office for the issue date they ignored the definition of a first day cover.
The covers they mass produce in melbourne can be at the PO a week or more before the issue date.

On top of this they allow up to a month after the issue date to have a postmark showing the first day issue date applied.
They will usually say how long for each release in the stamp bulletin or website
You can send covers into the philatelic bureau or do them at a PO

Sadly the good old days of having the FD covers only canceled on the real time day of release is gone
Geoff Sherrington

FDC

Fraid so.

If I read Stamp Bulletin correctly, the SAS FDCs that were discussed above here were issued on 4 Sept 2007 and become unavailable for special treatment on 2 October 2007.

I have no firm view whether a FDC is more valuable if it was actually produced on the day of issue, or later. People in distant places might be disadvantaged. I think a tolerance of a few days is acceptable for this reason. I think you will find that the FDCs that gain appreciable value are all sold on the first day anyhow. I remember going to Melbourne GPO on 1.1.01 to get special FDCs of Federation with a red postmark instead of the already-issued normal black; and the year before, ordering in advance a number of red cancelled 01.01.00 Celebrate Australia covers, from a special opening of the Sydney GPO.

The latter, by the way, might be the World's first postal items officially made in the New Millenium ( depending on your definitions). Now, I just happen to have a few for sale......

Geoff
Anything can be done; but nothing can be done for the first time. (Sir Humphrey in "Yes Minister").
grovyk
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by grovyk »

Thanks Geof...
BP, PB :arrow: Philatelic Bureau :oops:

Since the AP gives itself such an elastic timeline does that mean it prints more if stock is sold out or does it stick to whatever it first released?
Geoff Sherrington

I do not know the answer to that question. i have never asked.
geoff.
Debbie
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by Debbie »

40 Only PNC,s have been double Postmarked,Swanbourne W.A

I feel sorry for the buyer of this item,its yet another person who will regret paying for something they think is an official PNC error which will never be catalogued and the worst thing is its a Perth Coin PNC.

The seller is clever
Geoff Sherrington

FDCs

I am not expert in FDCs. I have tended when buying or collecting to go for official ones. Occasionally I have made a few private FDCs and this is still a big business in some countries.

In theory, a FDC should have no adverse consequences if made privately. It will probably not be listed in a catalog for late years unless it is by a major maker like royal, etc. and that will limit value and saleability.

To me, the release within a few days of the issue date is not important except for special cases like I gave above, when the FDC was postmarked on only one special day. Who really cares if the SAS FDCs of 4 Sept 2007 were actually made on the 6th or 7th of the mnth, when we are twently years down the track in 2027?

My approack lacks purity of thought but offsets that with practical considerations.
GlenStephens
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by GlenStephens »

Does anyone in oz do HAND DRAWN and HAND PAINTED FDC like this member does?

He is a new member, so please drop by and say "HI" if you get a moment. :)

http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=2615&highlight=
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
Geoff Sherrington

Hand drawn FDC

Because I can't draw or paint well, I use computer graphics to make some covers. Illustration here is a signed cover from John Landy, former World record holder for track events and former Governor of Victoria. There is a note inside explaining these achievements.

Do you rank computer graphics in a similar or different class to hand-drawn? They have the advantage that they can be replicated easily.
Peteski76
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by Peteski76 »

I recently bought quite a good run of GB PNCs. Some of the covers are very attractive and almost all have their own specially produced coin. The PNC below is particularly interesting as it has 4 Aussie and 4 GB stamps with Sydney and Stonehenge cancels and nice shiny 50p and 50c coins

Another of my favourites is the Entente Cordiale PNC shown below. This cover has French and GB stamps with Paris and London cancellations and a special £5 coin

Very attractive I'm sure you will agree, although the coins mean they don't scan too well :oops:
admin
Site Administrator
Location: That's on a need to know basis - and YOU do not need to know!

Post by admin »

Peteski76 wrote:I recently bought quite a good run of GB PNCs. Some of the covers are very attractive and almost all have their own specially produced coin.

The PNC below is particularly interesting as it has 4 Aussie and 4 GB stamps with Sydney and Stonehenge cancels and nice shiny 50p and 50c coins

Love that Heritage one!

Glen
admin
Site Administrator
Location: That's on a need to know basis - and YOU do not need to know!

Re: New PNC

Post by admin »

Kai wrote:
CHzug1291 wrote:I have just seen on ebay a new PNC,
50th ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL AIR SERVICE AUSTRALIA
Issue date: 4. September 2007

I have not seen any advertising for this item.

After checking with the Perth Mint site it is allready marked
SOLD OUT

Did anybody know about this cover ?

Peter

Perth mint has this PNC in stock again: https://www.perthmint.com.au/catalogue/australian-sas-50th- ... cover.aspx
Been showing SOLD OUT for a month or so now.

Retail is about $15 above face right now.
gavin-h
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by gavin-h »

Just posted this in the "Space" thread, but it's equally at home here:

A "PNC" from the Netherlands commemorating the 25th Anniversary of the Apollo 11 Moonlanding. Issued 1994.

This was the Netherlands' first PNC; the coin is a 1 ECU - the ECU was the forerunner of the Euro, but was never "legal tender".
CHzug1291
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!

Re: Philatelic Numismatic Covers "PNCs". Discuss here

Post by CHzug1291 »

I try to "renew" this PNC thread. :D

I recommend to anyone who is interested in Australian History, to read Peter Yeldham's Book, as it will "grab your attention" in a so typical True Blue Aussie Story..........
interesting to see, that the design of the new PNC "Australia Remembers" matches the cover of the book!

Since the 20 cent coin is not to be issued for circulation, it would be wise to buy this cover if you collect PNC's....it is not a limited issue :!:

Peter
brissypete

Post by brissypete »

CHzug1291 wrote: Since the 20 cent coin is not to be issued for circulation, it would be wise to buy this cover if you collect PNC's....it is not a limited issue :!:

Peter
According the latest stamp bulletin the coin can be purchased seperately for $6.95
Collector and Part Time Dealer (Member IPDA)website and online store - http://www.pwstamps.com.au - Australia & World Stamps & Covers, Discounted Catalogues & Accessories
mick1965
I was online for post number ONE MILLION!

Post by mick1965 »

Yes i have put a couple away for the kids collection along with the many other PNC covers, quite nice this one, but sad also... :!:

Cheers Mick1965... :wink:
CHzug1291

Post by CHzug1291 »

How and where are you storing your PNC's ?
Is there anything on the market for Australian PNC's or store you this nice covers like this

this ?

or so ?

or ?

this way ?

:?:

Would you consider storing them in a album with slipcase.... purpose designed pages, optical clear protected from finger prints and dust?

looking not like this

but... very close to this

your feedback is much appreciated!

Peter
MissLouLou
Suspended Member

Re:

Post by MissLouLou »

Random wrote:A few different private issues

This one just sold on ebay(below)

Many days spent removing sheet from backing
Peel and stick sheet

You made them? The are beautiful! Now that is what I would call visually appealing.
Next time you have a sale on eBay, please advise... :)
Has fallen in love with Flora & Fauna FDC's!
MissLouLou
Suspended Member

Re:

Post by MissLouLou »

ozstamps wrote:How can it be sold out if issue date is SEPTEMBER?????
I know this is old, though is giving me a chance to use a little bit of my supposed learning...

Im collecting these, I have almost all for 2010 and I'M working on 2009 now. What I have noticed is that some of them are LIMITED in number.

For example, these - Issue 6 with a 20 cent piece;

and Issue 8 with a 1 dollar coin;

both themed for their release are not limited in number (see front and back)

where as this one - themed for its release is limited in number see front, back and edition capture

I found out from the lovely people at my local PO - if these are sold out ( as they apparently usually are within the first few days) - there is no more to be had.. ever, unless you be a bunny on ebay (guilty as charged) :cry:
MissLouLou
Suspended Member

Post by MissLouLou »

CHzug1291 wrote:I try to "renew" this PNC thread. :D

I recommend to anyone who is interested in Australian History, to read Peter Yeldham's Book, as it will "grab your attention" in a so typical True Blue Aussie Story..........
interesting to see, that the design of the new PNC "Australia Remembers" matches the cover of the book!

Since the 20 cent coin is not to be issued for circulation, it would be wise to buy this cover if you collect PNC's....it is not a limited issue :!:

Peter
Ive got this one Peter - I am going to look at trying to pick up the book so I can have a read - Thanks!
MissLouLou
Suspended Member

Post by MissLouLou »

CHzug1291 wrote:
How and where are you storing your PNC's ?
Is there anything on the market for Australian PNC's or store you this nice covers like this

this ?

or so ?

or ?

this way ?

:?:

Would you consider storing them in a album with slipcase.... purpose designed pages, optical clear protected from finger prints and dust?

looking not like this

but... very close to this

your feedback is much appreciated!

Peter
Cant help you with storage suggestions Peter, as mine are still sitting in a green box on my desk. But, I can say I think you have a lovely bunch there!.
CHzug1291

Post by CHzug1291 »

Hi Miss Lou Lou :D

Thank you for being so nice...!
The storage problem is solved, as I designed the "Lighthorse" PNC album pages as shown in my previous post!

I just got word from my toolmaker, that the vacuum forming tool is completed and the first blister pack - proto types will be in my hands for approval by end of the week.
If all goes "my way", the new product will be available for sale, hopefully this side of Xmas :D
I am sure, many PNC and PMC collectors will be happy, to show their collection off in a album!
I am happy to say: This product is all Australian made!Now I am working on a pamphlet and a marketing approach to get a happy smile from satisfied customers!

Peter
MissLouLou
Suspended Member

Post by MissLouLou »

Peter, when it's ready to go. I'll purchase one and give it a whirl.. - Thanks.. :D Few questions..

How many does a standard folder/binder hold?

and

How much do you expect to get for them?

Cheers Lou
CHzug1291

Post by CHzug1291 »

MissLouLou
Post subject: Re: Philatelic Numismatic Covers "PNCs". Discuss here

Peter, when it's ready to go. I'll purchase one and give it a whirl.. - Thanks.. Few questions..

and

Cheers Lou
The blister pack for the cover is 2.5mm thick, that means in a binder with 50 mm
width, you will be able to fit about 24 pages eg: 25 PNC's

The price per page will be around the A$ 3.00 mark.
If you think, that a cover is valued as from $ 20.00 up to $ 100.00 and for some limited editions even more, that is a small amount to make sure your collection is protected and can be looked at front and back in a nice Binder :D

Peter
MissLouLou
Suspended Member

Post by MissLouLou »

CHzug1291 wrote:
MissLouLou

Peter, when it's ready to go. I'll purchase one and give it a whirl.. - Thanks.. Few questions..

and

Cheers Lou
The blister pack for the cover is 2.5mm thick, that means in a binder with 50 mm
width, you will be able to fit about 24 pages eg: 25 PNC's

The price per page will be around the A$ 3.00 mark.
If you think, that a cover is valued as from $ 20.00 up to $ 100.00 and for some limited editions even more, that is a small amount to make sure your collection is protected and can be looked at front and back in a nice Binder :D

Peter
Hi Peter, I dont have much experience in the field, but that sounds like a fair price to me. Or atleast I would pay it.
CHzug1291

Post by CHzug1291 »

Thank you Lou, I appreciate your input and I think we are on the right track, at least you and I will be able to enjoy our collection without having to store the nice covers in shoe boxes anymore :lol:

Peter
Night Watchman

Post by Night Watchman »

Peter: will you be making them for other than Australia Post FDC size?
Many privately produced PNCs and PMCs of the 1960-90 era were of the International C6 & DL sizes.
Noel Almeida, Night Watchman, Australia Down Under.
Author: Overseas Mailers of New York FDCs of Australia.
Author: Australian Post Office Souvenir Covers.
Author: Test Cricket Centenary 1977 Philatelic Covers.
CHzug1291

Post by CHzug1291 »

nightwatchman

Peter: will you be making them for other than Australia Post FDC size?
Many privately produced PNCs and PMCs of the 1960-90 era were of the International C6 & DL sizes.

Well, nightwatchman...it depends on the demand, if the cost of tooling can be recovered and a small profit is made, there is a good chance, that I will cater for that market :D

Peter
Night Watchman

Post by Night Watchman »

Birmingham Mint PMC, Sterling Silver, 9 March 1977,
Number sold 1020 at Issue Price AU$ 35, CV AU$ 110.

Here is one PMC, Peter, international C6 size, that is very hard to find in good condition because of poor storage.
Best wishes for your Australia Post FDC size project.
MissLouLou
Suspended Member

Post by MissLouLou »

I havent been able to purchase a Melbourne cup PNC due to something something (None of my postoffices have got that stock in yet) So I went looking on eBay to see what I could find...

and.. look;

Beautiful personal cover designed by someone. Current [at] $15 approx -
https://cgi.ebay.com.au/Australia-2010-Melbourne-Cup-Pnc-50c- ... 4aa615a7aa

Really beautiful work!
CHzug1291

Post by CHzug1291 »

For the PNC collectors might be worth wile to sign up to:

http://www.ozpictormarks.blogspot.com/

I just learned, that AP is issuing a "Special commemorative product" Ashes 2010/2011, available on the 15th November as advertised in the stamp bulletin 307

Guess what... it is a PNC, limited edition! (not disclosed in the bulletin :twisted: )

Peter
MissLouLou
Suspended Member

Post by MissLouLou »

CHzug1291 wrote:For the PNC collectors might be worth wile to sign up to:

http://www.ozpictormarks.blogspot.com/

I just learned, that AP is issuing a "Special commemorative product" Ashes 2010/2011, available on the 15th November as advertised in the stamp bulletin 307

Guess what... it is a PNC, limited edition! (not disclosed in the bulletin :twisted: )

Peter
Ohhhhhhhhh *rubs hands together*... Thanks Peter!!
Night Watchman

Post by Night Watchman »

CHzug1291 wrote: I just learned, that AP is issuing a "Special commemorative product" Ashes 2010/2011, available on the 15th November as advertised in the stamp bulletin 307 Guess what... it is a PNC, limited edition! (not disclosed in the bulletin :twisted: ) Peter
Australia Post is fantastic when it comes to marketing.
Limited Edition of 20,000!
for the Ashes PNC at 19.95.
MissLouLou
Suspended Member

Post by MissLouLou »

nightwatchman wrote:
CHzug1291 wrote: I just learned, that AP is issuing a "Special commemorative product" Ashes 2010/2011, available on the 15th November as advertised in the stamp bulletin 307 Guess what... it is a PNC, limited edition! (not disclosed in the bulletin :twisted: ) Peter
Australia Post is fantastic when it comes to marketing.
Limited Edition of 20,000!
for the Ashes PNC at 19.95.
I havent checked out the limited edition bit yet.. BUT the gentlemen who writes the blog peter put up, had some interesting information about the Melbourne cup PNC's
CHzug1291

Post by CHzug1291 »

Miss LouLou writes
Ohhhhhhhhh *rubs hands together*... Thanks Peter!!
It's not me, it is stampboards which makes communication possible! :D
CHzug1291

Post by CHzug1291 »

I did check, while I was ordering, 20'000 for this issue!

Peter
CHzug1291

Post by CHzug1291 »

.....and here it is, you see it first on stampboards :D

Better be fast!

Peter
MissLouLou
Suspended Member

Post by MissLouLou »

Ohhhhh gooodness!! I want it!
Night Watchman

Post by Night Watchman »

Peter: could you tell me the town and date of the postmark?
Thanks.
CHzug1291

Post by CHzug1291 »

Hi nightwatchman,

The Town is: WOOLLOONGABBA QLD 4102
The date: 25 November 2010

The scan is from a pamphlet!
Night Watchman

Post by Night Watchman »

CHzug1291 wrote:Hi nightwatchman,

The Town is: WOOLLOONGABBA QLD 4102
The date: 25 November 2010
Thanks for the information, Peter.

25 November 10 is the First Day of the First Ashes Test at the Gabba 4102.
MissLouLou
Suspended Member

Post by MissLouLou »

CHzug1291 wrote:I try to "renew" this PNC thread. :D

I just purchased this book through BOOKTOPIA on ebay; https://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270658985671

I'll report back once I've had the opportunity to read it.
CHzug1291

Post by CHzug1291 »

I just purchased this book through BOOKTOPIA on ebay; http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270658985671

I'll report back once I've had the opportunity to read it
You will love it! :) Now you need the PNC which matches the cover :lol: :lol:
MissLouLou
Suspended Member

Post by MissLouLou »

CHzug1291 wrote:
I just purchased this book through BOOKTOPIA on ebay; http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270658985671

I'll report back once I've had the opportunity to read it
You will love it! :) Now you need the PNC which matches the cover :lol: :lol:
I already have it.. :D
CHzug1291

Post by CHzug1291 »

How do you like the book...Miss Lou Lou :?:
MissLouLou
Suspended Member

Post by MissLouLou »

A wonderful story so far, I havent completely finished it, but I've subsequently brought 2 more copies of it and sent them off for christmas presents. ONE of them I know will absolutely love it, the other, I have no clue.

Booktopia is fantastic for hunting down books at a good price.

Thanks for the recommendation :)
reddies
Lifetime Suspension
Lifetime Suspension

Post by reddies »

The Ashes PNC "caught my eye" in our Local Post Office so I lashed out and purchased 3. Left me financially ruined.
MissLouLou
Suspended Member

Post by MissLouLou »

lol.. Glad to know Im not the only one who does that.

Im sure if you want to sell the extras for a little profit down the track, you'll find some willing purchasers!
reddies
Lifetime Suspension
Lifetime Suspension

Post by reddies »

MissLouLou wrote:lol.. Glad to know Im not the only one who does that.

Im sure if you want to sell the extras for a little profit down the track, you'll find some willing purchasers!

MissLouLou,

Did you notice at first glance, if you did not read the pre-info', what I and many others 'may' have, with this particular issue. :?: I thought it the same category as the 'Space' issue was. :roll:
MissLouLou
Suspended Member

Post by MissLouLou »

As in - not having enough space to house them all? *confused scrunchy face*

I wish I had that problem.... Im only new to this stamp collecting business and all mine still fit in a box neatly on my desk... :lol:

Return to “Coins, Banknotes, tokens, medals and all things NUMISMATIC!”