"Rust" and Foxing etc on stamps. How best to store them?

Stampboards has 1000s of regular readers who WILL take the time to help out even with the most basic question. If you are new to stamps - or taking up the hobby after a long break, there is a lot to learn. PLEASE do not be shy in asking the simplest of questions .. members here will be delighted to help you with the answers!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

ViccyVFU
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: "Rust" and Foxing etc on stamps. How best to store them?

Post by ViccyVFU »

Lofty1702 wrote: 28 Jul 2022 14:24 Hi Kilowarekid - was just about to post a question as to whether a toned stamp can cross infect other un-toned stamps - looks like your feedback is DEFINITELY - I'll go back through my collection now and isolate the said offenders :D
I think the problem I have with this statement is the definition of the word "toned".

Toning is generally not contagious ... it arises from the breakdown of the paper in either the stamp, or the album page it is affixed to (evenly staining the proximal stamps).

Rust and blotchy marks are contagious, and arise from spores in the air "growing in favourable conditions".

Whilst toned stamps can treated, and stored safely alongside others "in a fresh environment", the spore infected stamps should only be retained "if necessary", and even then "in isolated environments, to avoid contagion of sound material".

Being a bit late to the party on covers, I am constantly surprised how infected some covers are, unisolated, in boxes that I rummage through.

As I'm sure I've mentioned elsewhere, the key to good long term storage is "regular inspection, with a critical eye", supplemented by "swift action, on detection".

"Stamps don't look after themselves" :D

Venoma
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Post by Venoma »

Hi everyone, I have some questions.

I bought an album online with some old Yugoslavian stamps + some Reich and other stuff that is a bit older and more rare. Selection was worth my money BUT when it arrived, I saw that the condition of the stamps is terrible. Album seems older but in a pretty good shape, but stamps... Rust is all over most of them.

In a good case, rust is only on the back of the stamp on the gum. In a bad case, it's all over the stamp. Please note that I am mostly collecting for my personal collection, not reselling or focusing on value, I don't care that much if they have gum or not.

Now I did read what I found on this forum about rust and what I did was followed the popular advice. So, the worst samples I threw out. Those in a little better shape I first soaked in warm water with detergent, rubbed as much as I could not to damaged them.

Then I soaked them in just boiled water for a while. There was no damage to the color or paper, but still, on some stamps, I can see leftover rust. Some seem to be clean now which, honestly, surprised me.

So my questions are:

Would repeating the process on those with leftover rust give any results? Because I think that what could be done is done when it comes to rubbing it off.

Is exposure to just boiled water made it safe from spreading to other stuff (like, killed the fungus or something? I might be a bit optimistic here.)?

Are stamps with minimum leftover rust/yellow discoloration safe to keep after this process?

I'll add some pics when they finish drying to show you what I mean.

Thanks in advance,

Milica
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

How do doctors and dentists sterilise instruments in the simplest way? Boiling water. Has worked for 1000s of years.

It will kill any CURRENT fungal colonies on the stamps. If they are yellowed now, of course they will stay yellowed or browned. But will not get worse for 10 or 20 years. The hot water will spruce the stamps a little, however, as a lot of what we see is just grime, and oil from fingers, and dust and age etc.

It is not 'magic', but it certainly does help. Some stamps it will damage, but most it will not. 95% of stamps saved is better than 100% moulding away. 8-)

Ideally do not buy heavily foxed stamp collections in the FIRST place!

Admin
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
Venoma

Post by Venoma »

So I get to keep them. That's amazing, thanks!

About this unfortunate shopping experience, I'm kinda limited with market here in Serbia, we mostly have dodgy auction sites to buy from and photos can be bad. So it's a hit or miss really. Last week I bought mixed MNH and cancelled stamps of Helvetia in a really big album completely full for like, 20e, which was a steal, album is average but stamps are perfect.

And this week I paid around 40e on this album because I saw some older stamps in it and I don't think I got my money's worth out of it. Just a lot of washing ahead of me :D But I do feel better now for not having to throw them away.
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

Venoma wrote: 07 Jul 2023 11:13 ...And this week I paid around 40e on this album because I saw some older stamps in it and I don't think I got my money's worth out of it. Just a lot of washing ahead of me :D But I do feel better now for not having to throw them away.
Don't worry - you live and you learn for next time.

If they are pretty bad then at least you can use them as practice for identification, research and learning before you replace them with better ones.
Collecting Stamps & Postal History of Molokai | Polar Regions in WWII | Chatham Islands | Lord Howe Island | Greenland et hoc genus omne
Chkpoint Charlie
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by Chkpoint Charlie »

I have a perf tip on a mint stamp that is showing "rust" on the gum side only! I would like to stop the spreading to more of the stamp.

What would you recommend as a treatment for this?

Thanks!
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

Wash all the gum off in hot water, or toss it and buy a new one.

What you SEE with the naked eye is 10% of what is there.

Not sure how many times it has to be pointed out but it is a living active FUNGAL colony.

Under UV you will see that.
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
InTheGreatKhansTent

Post by InTheGreatKhansTent »

I had a quick question regarding hot, boiling, water bath's for stamps with Foxing. What is the recommended time to keep them in the already boiled water? 3 minutes? Until the water cools?
E-Sherman
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by E-Sherman »

Would like to share a few thoughts on this thread, and apologies in advance for any redundancy as this is a very long thread and I did not attempt to read every single post.

Regarding toning- Toning is not always seen completely covering the gum side of stamps. While the gum itself may be the source of toning (think first 1938 printings of KVGI mint stamps), some environmental conditions can also cause gum toning.

For example, stamps are sometimes found that have partial toning, in many cases with a well-defined area where toned gum quickly transitions to normal gum. Sometimes collectors call this "two-toned gum." This pattern, in my experience, is caused by poorly made stock books that cause the gum to tone where the overlying film holding the stamp down isn't "archival." I suspect, without proof, that in some cases the overlying film was glassine.

Some other stamps have mottled patterns of gum toning which can manifest with areas of intense toning along with areas that lack toning. I have seen MANY stamps that are not normally found with toned gum yet one sees examples with toning/tropicalisation. In these cases, one can only surmise the cause but I expect it's environmental, e.g. combinations of heat, humidity, and air quality.

Regarding foxing/rusting- It is possible to address toned perfs using 3% hydrogen peroxide applied with a toothpick. This approach takes practice to ensure you can "paint within the lines" and that you don't apply too much peroxide to the paper.

If you are worried about slight gum loss, it's possible to work only from the printed side of the stamp and hope that some paper fibers benefit from the treatment without damaging any gum. I have strong doubts that this approach with end the fungal colony as peroxide is not strong enough to rupture the cell walls of bacteria. I assume this would be true for fungus. That's why in modern medicine peroxide is never used as a topical antibacterial.

Lastly, I would like to point out based on learning from reliable sources that how your store your collection can affect the freshness and quality of your stamps. For example, if you store your stamps in wooden cabinets, especially those that are painted or recently stained (within several years), the wood will emit gasses that can affect your stamps.

I learned some of this first hand unfortunately, when some colors in my KGVI collection showed obvious signs of oxidation. Most of the stamps affected were in the red family, but some others were affected in the purple and orange families. If the gasses emitted by wood storage cabinets can oxidize stamp inks, I can only guess what other effects these gasses might have.

you ever notice how non-show dealers maintain their stock, MANY use metal file cabinets, not wood. Of course, dealers who sell primarily at bourses utilize a lot of red boxes and counter books,

Perhaps there is a chemist or archivist in the forum who could comment?
All the best,

Ed, Florida USA
HCR2023

Post by HCR2023 »

Hello everyone, I am pouring through this forum as a new member to the group and came across this discussion. I don't have any stamps with rust or foxing that I am aware of, and would like to keep it that way if possible. That being said, I am wondering if my current conditions will help to maintain this lack of problems.

I collect almost exclusively used issues, but will put MNH into Showguard mounts and house my stamps hinged/mounted largely in albums (printed on Southworth 25% cotton, lignin and acid free paper). I live in eastern Pennsylvania (USA) and the house stays largely in the 71-77F range throughout the year with about 50-55% relative humidity at the high end during summer, and lower (45-50%) in winters. I haven't seen any problems with my stamps, but on my next inspection/appreciation tour through albums, I will spot check with a blacklight to see if anything jumps out.

I have seen a few sellers on EBAY posting amongst their lots used issues that are marked to have rust. Should I completely avoid these sellers for the possibility that it has spread to their other items? Or just give the stamps an extra wash and dry on arrival? I use Desert Magic drying books when soaking off paper and could use these for this process.

Thank you for any help!
Venoma

Post by Venoma »

So regarding the above post from E-Shreman, I would like a bit more of an explanation on two-toned stamps.

I've bought an album with stamps in very mixed condition as I already wrote about. Some of the stamps are exactly as described - the gum in the back is yellow on the bottom, the piece that was stored inside the foil is yellow, the top part is normal.

Is that also something I should boil/wash, or no? It's does not look like rust/fungus, they are just two-colored?
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

Seeing you told us you cheerfully paid only 20 Euro for this album of ruined stamps, why not TRY washing a couple of pieces and see? :!:

THERE'S a great idea. Only cost is your TIME. :shock:

Seeing you have lazily not bothered to show us any images, at any time, of the mess you have bought, and the condition disasters you are asking about, how can ANYONE here advise? This board is all about IMAGES. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Moral of the story - do not buy books of damaged stamps in the first instance. :!:

Admin
Venoma

Post by Venoma »

BTW I did wash and boil all my stamps with rust, took me a few weeks, that's why I am asking if toning is the same thing as being impacted by fungus. Washing and drying stamps is serious time-demanding business for someone like me with two jobs and a family :D

And here's a pic that probably won't help because my phone is a bit old. I got some stamps from colonies with gum in two colors for example.
IMG_20230728_145425.jpg

They all are yellow on the parts where they have been in foil, but it doesn't look like rust to me.
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

AT LAST ... a PHOTO. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Now you have bothered to do that at last, clearly nothing to do with foxing and 105% due to the cheapie stockbook with the highly acidic unbleached strip,s that has discoloured the stamps by transfer. Here we call that 'zoning'.

Retain them, or toss them away - your choice - place them in a QUALITY stockbook and they will not get worse in your lifetime.

Venoma wrote: 29 Jul 2023 00:05
Washing and drying stamps is serious time-demanding business for someone like me with two jobs and a family :D

NO KIDDING. Yet another reason not to buy books full of cheap, rusty stamps. :idea: :idea: :idea:

Admin
Venoma

Post by Venoma »

Will keep in mind to add pics to my questions in the future :D Thank you for the answer, will place them in Lindner :)
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

Damaged 1891 Christchurch cover addressed to the Chatham Islands
Damaged 1891 Christchurch cover addressed to the Chatham Islands
Your wisdom required: how would you suggest that I maintain the quality of this survivor as best I can?

Currently it's filed away between the black stockbook pages of my blue faux-Crocodile-skin-German-made-Mercedes-quality-stockbook, which feature clear strips and those glassine type interleaves between the pages.
1831948.png
That, inside a slipcase.

Or is that the best we can do for now?

Granted some of this damage has occurred over history, at some stage, having been burnt to a crisp in some places. But what about that stuff around the stamp? Can we stop it – or now that it's there, it's there to stay and like everyone in life, this cover too is a mere mortal?
Collecting Stamps & Postal History of Molokai | Polar Regions in WWII | Chatham Islands | Lord Howe Island | Greenland et hoc genus omne
PhilipAdams
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by PhilipAdams »

Never throw out interesting covers like yours. And don't try to clean.

I have many similarly rusted Roo covers. I place them (individually) into a clear, acid-free, plastic protector (heavy-weight A4 from Officeworks), and file them away in a simple ring folder.

Philip
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

Catweazle wrote: 22 Aug 2023 23:44
Granted some of this damage has occurred over history, at some stage, having been burnt to a crisp in some places. But what about that stuff around the stamp? Can we stop it – or now that it's there, it's there to stay and like everyone in life, this cover too is a mere mortal?

Everyone to their own of course, but if it were mine I'd trim off the lower super ugly 1 cm.

If this were offered for sale in these 2 versions I definitely know which would get a far higher price. :lol:

Visuals are everything in this hobby. 8-)

A bit of perf toning is acceptable on that age, but that ugly mess at base .......... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Capture.JPG

AlanLogue

Post by AlanLogue »

In the medical labs, instruments are sometimes sterilised by UV light - would that possibly kill fungus and hopefully not damage the stamp or paper it is stuck onto???
I don't know costs or exactly what type of UV would do it, but is it an option?
Do we have any dentists or medicos on Stampboards who might know.
UVC-C_8057-2060115141.jpg
Living in Adelaide
South Australia
ausman1000

Post by ausman1000 »

Is it time for this old bridge to take a hot bath?
rusty SHB 5.jpg
rusty SHB back.jpg
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

Yep.

That rust is going to get a LOTTT worse in coming decades. :!:

It is hinged so lessens the pain a bit. Clean MLH are about $A400 here.

If I were selling that I'd advertise it as light hinged, badly 'crazed' original gum, with rusty perfs along top, and toning patches in centre - $A150

If it were advertised as 'fresh flat unused, well centred, no gum' it would sell for somewhat more. AND look nice in 10 years. Total No Brainer. :lol:

Glen
ausman1000

Post by ausman1000 »

Very good.

Tomorrow it will receive its cleansing.

Thanks!
Kilowarekid

Post by Kilowarekid »

Cleansing how?
I love communist stamps for their colour, design and history.
Rockyman44
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by Rockyman44 »

I would just use a hot water bath with maybe a few drops of detergent.

Definitely not bleach!
Collecting worldwide used stamps 1918 - 2000, geology & fossils on stamps
ausman1000

Post by ausman1000 »

ausman1000 wrote: 09 Sep 2023 12:25 Very good.

Thanks!
Two plain very hot water baths,1 minute each.
after hot.jpg
hot rev.jpg
Last edited by ausman1000 on 11 Sep 2023 14:12, edited 1 time in total.
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

Bingo. :)

The ink on these is super colour fast, so never an issue on this set. :!:
ausman1000

Post by ausman1000 »

Global Admin wrote: 11 Sep 2023 14:08 Bingo. :)

The ink on these is super colour fast, so never an issue on this set. :!:
A thumbs up.
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

ausman1000 wrote: 11 Sep 2023 14:05

Thanks!

ImageImage
That's a remarkable result - well done.

Given there is only a minor trace now of the rust that was there, perhaps a repeat of what you did?

Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

Yes I would also give it one more go - boiling water from the kettle will kill that fungus totally. For many stamps that is most unwise - for this one, it will be fine.
ausman1000

Post by ausman1000 »

Global Admin wrote: 11 Sep 2023 15:19 Yes I would also give it one more go - boiling water from the kettle will kill that fungus totally. For many stamps that is most unwise - for this one, it will be fine.
Give me a day or two for the repeat hot water rinse. The results surprised me too!
The Pom
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by The Pom »

AlanLogue wrote: 23 Aug 2023 19:31 In the medical labs, instruments are sometimes sterilised by UV light - would that possibly kill fungus and hopefully not damage the stamp or paper it is stuck onto???
I don't know costs or exactly what type of UV would do it, but is it an option?
Do we have any dentists or medicos on Stampboards who might know.
You can buy a mini UV steriliser from Amazon for £20. You would need to check the wavelength - you need UV-C (200-280nm).

My 2p worth.

It would kill the living fungus. Fungal spores can be more UV resistant, so there is a risk of it coming back.

Whether the discolouration would remain, or be bleached out by the UV, I couldn't say.

It may cause colour fading. It has been shown elsewhere on the board that a couple of days in strong sunlight can have a major effect on stamp colours.

Overall, I think I'd give it a miss.
Always on the lookout for Australian pre decimal First Day Covers.
ausman1000

Post by ausman1000 »

ausman1000 wrote: 11 Sep 2023 15:51
Global Admin wrote: 11 Sep 2023 15:19 Yes I would also give it one more go - boiling water from the kettle will kill that fungus totally. For many stamps that is most unwise - for this one, it will be fine.
Give me a day or two for the repeat hot water rinse. The results surprised me too!
So I completed another 'just off the boil' water bath today and the rust marks are darn near not discernible. A couple more and I reckon it will look very nice. At this pointing I am thinking the wicking action of the blotting paper is greatly helping with the removal of the stain marks. I move the postion of the stamp every couple of minutes on the blotting paper to maximize the blotting sponge affect.
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

ausman1000 wrote: 13 Sep 2023 13:29
So I completed another 'just off the boil' water bath today and the rust marks are darn near not discernible. A couple more and I reckon it will look very nice.

We need to remember any stamp is just interlocked cellulose fibres. Wood pulp basically. To which 'sizing' is added to keep it flat and rigid.

In the case of these Bridges, it is very COARSE and rough cellulose fibres, making the unwatermarked paper. Far coarser than the flat hard paper used for the surrounding issues like the 2d letterpress printing of this same set, which was on the hard flat watermarked paper, and that is far more 'rigid'.

The printing ink sits on top of this uneven mat of finely interlocked cellulose fibres.

When wet - the cellulose fibres expand of course.

One quick wash has virtually no detrimental effect on the integrity and rigidity of the paper and the 'sizing'.

Repeated washes has an obvious detrimental effect.

Some of the printing ink and 'sizing' will clearly be lost each time, on a recess printed stamp. That is obvious. Little by little, it is clear each 'wash' will create a more limp and flaccid stamp, with some ink design loss, if one keeps on playing with a stamp as if it was a cotton dishcloth!

On a several $100 piece - not wise.

Common sense dictates that at some point,'enough is enough'. The rust and toning is vastly dissipated now, as can be seen. 'Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.' :!: :!:
ausman1000

Post by ausman1000 »

Global Admin wrote: 13 Sep 2023 14:59
ausman1000 wrote: 13 Sep 2023 13:29
So I completed another 'just off the boil' water bath today and the rust marks are darn near not discernible. A couple more and I reckon it will look very nice.

We need to remember any stamp is just interlocked cellulose fibres. Wood pulp basically. To which 'sizing' is added to keep it flat and rigid.

In the case of these Bridges, it is very COARSE and rough cellulose fibres, making the unwatermarked paper. Far coarser than the flat hard paper used for the surrounding issues like the 2d letterpress printing of this set, which was on the hard flat watermarked paper, and that is far more 'rigid'.

The printing ink sits on top of this uneven mat of finely interlocked cellulose fibres.

When wet - the cellulose fibres expand of course.

One quick wash has virtually no detrimental effect on the integrity and rigidity of the paper and the 'sizing'.

Repeated washes has an obvious detrimental effect.

Some of the printing ink will clearly be lost each time, on a recess printed stamp. That is obvious. Little by little, it is clear each 'wash' that would create a more limp and flaccid stamp, with some ink design loss, if one keeps on playing with a stamp as if it was a cotton dishcloth!

Common sense dictates that at some point,'enough is enough'. The rust and toning is vastly dissipated now, as can be seen. 'Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.' :!: :!:
The baby will not get another bath based on the professional advice you have kindly offered here.

Thank you!

I will post the final image in a day or two.
ausman1000

Post by ausman1000 »

ausman1000 wrote: 11 Sep 2023 14:05

Thanks!

ImageImage
...and the results of a third very hot water bath below. No real discernible difference between two and three dips.
last bath.jpg
last bath back.jpg
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

Wowsers, that's fantastic!

I thought about doing something similar with a cover above – or, rather, a little alcohol swap – but that might separate the stamp from the cover which I don't really want.

Does this work with most of the Australian pre-decimals from the same era?
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

Catweazle wrote: 14 Sep 2023 22:57

Nope. 8-)

Do this with a 1935 1/- Anzac, or any of the 1936 Jubilee set etc, and you'd essentially have a piece of blank paper by now. :!:

Glen
polisciguy2011

Post by polisciguy2011 »

Global Admin wrote: 14 Sep 2023 23:02

Nope. 8-)

Do this with a 1935 1/- Anzac, or any of the 1936 Jubilee set etc, and you'd essentially have a piece of blank paper by now. :!:

Glen
If I may ask then--what kind of rust mitigation can be done with these issues and others like them? Or is it really just a case of isolating them and looking for a better copy in the future?
-- Zach --
Collecting Interests: Benelux, Scandinavia, German area, Sarawak, KGV Silver Jubilee, Italy, Spain, Israel, France/Colonies
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

Yes. :)
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

I am wondering if there were different types of inks used for the Australian pre-decimal stamps, including this issue – not in terms of colour but, rather, the ingredients or chemicals etc used in the ink itself.

Frankly I have no idea, but I would guess that, given the way different inks react differently to hot baths, there would be differences in the ink's constitution. Or is it simply that different coloured inks contain different chemicals, and therein makes the difference here?

I'm no scientist, but you've all got me curious now.
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

Catweazle wrote: 18 Sep 2023 13:40
Or is it simply that different coloured inks contain different chemicals, and therein makes the difference here?
Yes.
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

That moment when stamp collecting reaches a new level: Me trying to figure out the chemicals in all the SG Colour Key colours, so I know what to hot bath and what not to hot bath...
Why is it so.jpg
:lol:
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

Catweazle wrote: 18 Sep 2023 14:09 That moment when stamp collecting reaches a new level: Me trying to figure out the chemicals in all the SG Colour Key colours, so I know what to hot bath and what not to hot bath...
I believe a glass and a half of full cream milk was the chemical they used?
2023-09-18 13_20_40-Cadbury Dairy Milk Chocolate - Professor Julius Sumn.jpg
The Pom

Post by The Pom »

polisciguy2011 wrote: 16 Sep 2023 01:26
Global Admin wrote: 14 Sep 2023 23:02

Nope. 8-)

Glen
If I may ask then--what kind of rust mitigation can be done with these issues and others like them? Or is it really just a case of isolating them and looking for a better copy in the future?
Glen's comment was related to subjecting these stamps to multiple rounds of hot baths to try to eliminate 100% of staining. One hot soapy bath will generally shift the worst of it & not harm the stamp.

This one had a few minutes in boiling water with a drop of ordinary washing up liquid. I will give it a few more baths & see what happens.
IMG_0008.jpg
IMG_0009.jpg
IMG_0010.jpg
IMG_0011.jpg
Always on the lookout for Australian pre decimal First Day Covers.
Rog

Post by Rog »

That has worked well, it looks much better.
My Stamp Blog & Shop : The Stamp Book
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

The first thought that crosses my mind is WHY anyone would bother messing at all, wasting £s of time, on an ugly thinned, foxed, ripped perf stamp worth 1c even in superb condition.

I learned 45 years ago never to expect logic in stamp collector thought processes. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Folks, in ADDITION to the advice re losing 'sizing' etc above, these 1935 Jubilee stamps were printed on CHALK SURFACED SECURITY PAPER.

Normal stamp paper, onto which a coating of finely powdered chalk was rolled onto, in the paper mill, and smoothed flat under pressure rollers.

Gives a wonderfully smooth coating for recess intaglio printing versus usual uneven stamp paper, which has lots of troughs and peaks in the final finish under magnification.

Expensive, and used mainly for higher face values like the 2/- Jubilee, 1/- Anzac, 1937 Robes
series etc, as revenue protection. Why?? As the Printer knew any genius trying to mess about cleaning off stamp cancels will remove the top layer of the paper, and all the writing ink upon it, as WELL as the cancels. Bog basic common sense really.

Powdered chalk is powdered chalk. My grandkids play all day with chalk sticks on the terra-cotta pavers outside drawing whales and dinosaurs etc. When they are done, I get the hose out, and in 5 seconds all the chalk is gone. MAGIC. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So using our brains a tad, with this simple example in mind, immersing ANY chalk faced stamp in water starts to loosen the chalk layer from the contact with the underlying paper. Guess what - the INK is printed on top of the chalk ... the Einsteins among us can see where I am headed here! :lol: :lol: :lol:

FakeBay is full of such totally ruined stamps sold as 'severe ink stripping' etc. Baloney - they are vandalised chalk faced stamps, some genius amateur chemist has fiddled with, and ruined forever.

ONE quick dip will have medium results .. any more and your $40 retail 2/- 1935 Jubilee, will have parts of the printed intaglio lines all vanish. TRUST me. As for messing about with landfill like a highly defective 2d Jubilee .......

Glen

This is magnified printing ink on chalky paper - Nuf Sed - for those playing Meile dishwashers with their stamps!

ausman1000

Post by ausman1000 »

Catweazle wrote: 18 Sep 2023 14:09 That moment when stamp collecting reaches a new level: Me trying to figure out the chemicals in all the SG Colour Key colours, so I know what to hot bath and what not to hot bath...
ausman1000

Post by ausman1000 »

Global Admin wrote: 20 Sep 2023 10:55 The first thought that crosses my mind is WHY anyone would bother messing at all, wasting £s of time, on an ugly thinned, foxed, ripped perf stamp worth 1c even in superb condition.

I learned 45 years ago never to expect logic in stamp collector thought processes. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Folks, in ADDITION to the advice re losing 'sizing' etc above, these 1935 Jubilee stamps were printed on CHALK SURFACED SECURITY PAPER.

Normal stamp paper, onto which a coating of finely powdered chalk was rolled onto, in the paper mill, and smoothed flat under pressure rollers.

Gives a wonderfully smooth coating for recess intaglio printing versus usual uneven stamp paper, which has lots of troughs and peaks in the final finish under magnification.

Expensive, and used mainly for higher face values like the 2/- Jubilee, 1/- Anzac, 1937 Robes
series etc, as revenue protection. Why?? As the Printer knew any genius trying to mess about cleaning off stamp cancels will remove the top layer of the paper, and all the writing ink upon it, as WELL as the cancels. Bog basic common sense really.

Powdered chalk is powdered chalk. My grandkids play all day with chalk sticks on the terra-cotta pavers outside drawing whales and dinosaurs etc. When they are done, I get the hose out, and in 5 seconds all the chalk is gone. MAGIC. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So using our brains a tad, with this simple example in mind, immersing ANY chalk faced stamp in water starts to loosen the chalk layer from the contact with the underlying paper. Guess what - the INK is printed on top of the chalk ... the Einsteins among us can see where I am headed here! :lol: :lol: :lol:

FakeBay is full of such totally ruined stamps sold as 'severe ink stripping' etc. Baloney - they are vandalised chalk faced stamps, some genius amateur chemist has fiddled with, and ruined forever.

ONE quick dip will have medium results .. any more and your $40 retail 2/- 1935 Jubilee, will have parts of the printed intaglio lines all vanish. TRUST me. As for messing about with landfill like a highly defective 2d Jubilee .......

Glen

This is magnified printing ink on chalky paper - Nuf Sed - for those playing Meile dishwashers with their stamps!

Good info, thanks!
aerogi

Post by aerogi »

Malaya wrote: 10 Aug 2021 23:40 I was curious about the fungus so I put a foxed stamp under the microscope. These images show a foxed perforation with reflected light and transmitted light.

that is very interesting!
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

Just for the record, the next time I come across a scruffy pre-decimal stamp of this type in kiloware or some clumpy box lot, I'll volunteer to do what Glen advises against simply to show why you shouldn't, and then post the results here (unless someone beats me to it). :lol:

Return to “NO question is too basic or silly - you ask - we WILL help you with it!”