Stamp Image Bursting software

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

jadrake
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: Stamp Image Bursting software

Post by jadrake »

Yes - I would make it optional as my needs require me to enter a SG number (so this is not a feature of value to me personally)

There is the ability to auto-generate numbers today (requested and sponsored by a user) but the format is not ideal (as it includes the date). So I am thinking this is a place where a different "auto-generate" scheme + "prefix" would give you both what you are looking for. the "prefix" would work independently on whether auto-generate filename was enabled or not.

-Jason
Bringing you these great Stamp Software tools - Stamp Image Bursting Application | Stamp Album Page Generator
Collector of Early Mint British Commonwealth, Germany, Iceland, Japan
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

Latest build updates from 2012-02-10

I made a couple of small usability tweaks to help prevent users from getting into some sticky situations.
  • The burst button (and other buttons/controls on Step 2 will be disabled once the bursting process begins, and will be re-enabled once completed (or conflicts are found)
  • The conflicts dialog will now show a progress indicator and message when it is generating the conflicts and prevent clicking on the ok/cancel button until the conflict images are loaded. Depending on the number of images and where they are located (local disk vs. network mapped drive) this can take a few seconds (for 40 conflicts over a wifi connection to a mapped network drive it was taking ~ 5.0 seconds on my laptop)
  • When an image file has been selected for loading, if there was already an image file loaded, the control will attempt to clear that image prior to loading the new image. This may result in a momentary grey box (the default background of the image panel) until the new image is loaded. If the previous loaded image is of a significant size and bursting has been conducted this will free up extra memory on loading a new image and may avoid the memory loading threshold issues for some cases (whereby we will not process images for bounding boxes if the memory allocation exceeds a certain percentage of available memory).
Cheers. I don't expect any more updates (unless there are important defects reported) over the next week.
Bringing you these great Stamp Software tools - Stamp Image Bursting Application | Stamp Album Page Generator
deerlandstamps
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Post by deerlandstamps »

So I am thinking this is a place where a different "auto-generate" scheme + "prefix" would give you both what you are looking for. the "prefix" would work independently on whether auto-generate filename was enabled or not.
Zegactly :D
Norbert Jenkins
RUBY Gemstone Stampboard BARONET!
RUBY Gemstone Stampboard BARONET!

Post by Norbert Jenkins »

I've just downloaded and used this software for the first time today. As a software developer by profession, I know what sort of effort is required to produce a tool of this nature and I must say that it's an excellent bit of kit so far.

I have a few comments/observation that I could make, but I'm not sure if the code is still under active development and so if I would be helping by giving my opinions. jadrake - please let me know!
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

Hi Norbert - yes it is still in active development, although at the moment I am only building features requested by specific members (some - esp. dealers have sponsored such endeavors or features) as well as bug fixes (which I try and address as quickly as possible). The capabilities here satisfied my requirements back in October (so everything since has been "for the community"). The software is free for use and will continue to be so.

Feel free to contact me via email with your comments/opinions. You can also comment to this thread, although I would prefer an EMail exchange first.

My development efforts (when there is a spare moment) have been primarily focussed on my web-application I use for tracking my collection as well as an album page generator I built (XML->PDF albums) - although time there has been spent building the albums (rather than the software)

-Jason
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

All - I know I have been dormant for a few months as I have been working on my basement remodelling project. It is only a few weeks from completion and it looks like we've had some milestones come up from the Stamp Image Bursting Application.
  • Linn's did an article highlighting the usage and review of the software (thanks for the scan Willy!) The software seems to have received a fair review although the author was not aware of the bursting term from publishing it would seem (eluding to the fact your images won't explode....) and they went on at length about how to straighten images (which is something Willy would like to work on for all of use next quarter)
  • APS monthly newsletter from April included a link to the software. I did receive a large up-tick in site hits within a few days of that posting.
  • I have now received over 500 unique visits to the web site to at least read up about the software (it is impossible to track downloads at the moment, and since updates are automatically downloaded it would not have a lot of value)
  • I was contacted about possibly expanding the application to be used to extract/identify cancels. I had an idea on how to do this, but when I approached the individual on sponsorship for this item I never heard back. If others want this capability I could be open to the idea (I personally have no need/use for it as I collect Mint stamps)
I have received several contributions from users which will allow the website to remain active for at least the next two years so to all of those who have contributed I appreciate it.

The good news (so far) is that it would appear that there have not been a lot of "bugs/issues" coming in.

Over the next couple of weeks I will try and capture the results of the thumbnail survey and post what I intend to do here and work to provide this capability along with exposing some of the image processing settings. This should in theory allow those brave enough to tweak the thresholds (of what is background vs. stamp for example) on the particle analysis engine to improve image detection. I may also allow the toggling of some of the "perfecting algorithms" which while they result in a higher percentage image identification largely are not required and take up considerable memory/CPU processing. Again these will be "Advanced" options so those that just launch, burst and output there should be no change.

-Jason
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

All - I hope everyone has enjoyed the use of the Stamp Image Bursting Application. I am continuing to support it with the fine contributions of members both on this board and throughout the world.

I just submitted an update to address/improve the following (the most noticable change (hopefully improvement) will be the third point below):
  • Fixed the resizing of the conjoining stamps when the zoom scale is not 100%
  • Removed log4j library in favor of standard Java logging (saving memory)
  • Will now save the window size on resize of the window and will restore to this size on next execution.
  • Misc. performance tweaks on UI panel rendering.
Enjoy - let me know if there are any issues obtaining the update. Your software should automatically retrieve the next version when you access the software and have a valid internet connection (note removing the log4j library also reduced the download size from 6520kB to 5993kB (so a savings of ~ 0.5MB) which might help on slower connections or if you are far from the USA download servers)

-Jason
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

I am pleased to announce that I finally got around to dealing with a few minor issues and improvements from one of my sponsors....

The version should will be automatically delivered the next time you access the application. (in case anyone forgets the website is http://www.drakeserver.com)

Changes

Version 2.1 - Build 2012-07-30
  • Restriction on available memory ratio to perform analysis has been removed,
    and if an out of memory error occurs, will display message to user. Should
    allow multiple images to be parsed in a single session.
  • The Next and Back buttons now have keyboard shortcuts using Alt-N/Alt-B
    (Windows and Unix-based operation systems) and Command-N/Command-B (for Apple
    based systems)
  • When on Step 1: Preview Burst Layout, you can use the "+" or "-" keys to zoom
    in and zoom out.
  • The "Burst..." button has been renamed to "Burst Images..." and a keyboard
    shortcut of either Alt-I or Command-I has been added.
  • Clicking the "Burst Images..." button will display an error message if the
    burst table does not contain any images with a filename/extension.
  • The "Specify Burst Folder" prompt will accept the keyboard shortcut "ENTER"
    and process the images if a target folder is specified and is valid.
Lakatoi 4
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Location: First star on the right then straight on till morning ...

Post by Lakatoi 4 »

You are incrementally perfecting this software more and more Jason, well done 8)
Tony
"A cancelled stamp tells part of the story, a cover tells it all"
Belti
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by Belti »

I just came across this thread and useful utility, a big well done for your initiative.
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer. Bruce Lee
jbcev80
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by jbcev80 »

Hi
jadrake wrote:Yes - I would make it optional as my needs require me to enter a SG number (so this is not a feature of value to me personally)

There is the ability to auto-generate numbers today (requested and sponsored by a user) but the format is not ideal (as it includes the date). So I am thinking this is a place where a different "auto-generate" scheme + "prefix" would give you both what you are looking for. the "prefix" would work independently on whether auto-generate filename was enabled or not.

-Jason
I have stamp number generating software I wrote many moons ago and have converted to various programming languages. I believe I have a version in MS VBA for Word. I was in the processing of converting it to a standalone VB.NET project but I did not really need it so stopped. I do not believe the date is part of the module input but if anyone is interested I can check it and if the date is included remove it. All the number generation and input parsing is done in the module (program).

I believe I still have the latest source version and if anyone wants a copy e-mail me at:

jerrybemail-stamps 'at' Yahoo 'dot' com

with a subject line of StampGen and I will forward a copy. Note that there is no "User Manual" (it is VBA source code). I would be available to answer questions.

Jerry B
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

Thanks Lakatoi 4 (Tony)

One thing to note about the memory handling, it is still restricted a bit because of the Java Webstart to 825MB or so of usable memory so this will mean you shouldn't expect it to load a 8000x8000 pixel image and parse this. However if that image is able to load and it runs out of memory trying to image process it, it will attempt to abandon the processing and recover the memroy and will display a dialog (only after garbage collection etc. has been exhausted). I haven't seen any problems on image files that are 18MB or less (as JPEGs) - my average full sheet JPEG is about 11MB at 600DPI scanned.

The only tricky bit here is when Java does run out of memory the results can be a little indeterminant, so you may get the dialog (good), but it is possible the system is also completely hung (bad). I tested this will lower memory values to trip it (ie. not enough memory to complete the processing) and it did seem to handle it ok. Given the comments I have received from users really wanting to process multiple files in a single session I felt it would be ok to try and remove the available memory ratio check (which by the way can be inheritently inaccurate since it relies on object memory in use but may include items that are marked for garbage collecting - kind of like putting a bunch of trash cans at your curb full of garbage)

I do hope to address further formats for the auto-generation of numbers (as was requested) and perhaps the thumbnail generation (since I can also use this myself). I am just in a major conversion on my web editor software that is taking a lot of my free time (it is about 100x more code than this)....

jbcev80 - if you have interest in using it with the image burster (which is java based) I might be able to support it with a native call (I would need to check whether Java Web Start supports this), and may need to discuss with you on API to use. As VB code it would be Windows only (but I believe 65% of the users of my software was Windows based - I know there are a few regular Apple users and at least one other Linux user) and it would also have to be made available freely (license wise) as a .DLL (so conversion to .NET framework)

-Jason
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

All - a small update was commited this morning to resolve a small issue that does not impact anyone but me (my web services were changed to send XML by default instead of JSON and the image parser was written assuming JSON - so I had to specify a content type in the request). Unfortunately this update did mean I had to redeploy the application so it will be re-downloaded next time you access it (for those of you on non-broadband connections I apologize - but I want to make sure I continue to use the same version you are all using - that way I feel your pain or joy equally. :wink: ).

On a brighter note, I have split my server deployment scripts which should mean that only time you re-download is "when" there is an actual commited code change to the image parsing application (it was previously built with my web services application - which meant it was updated/deployed during builds for this too) - which will mean either new features or bug fixes.

Cheers

-Jason
sandgroper

Post by sandgroper »

HI Jason, I downloaded your bursting software some months ago when you first announced it, but because of many problems I didn't get around to trying it till today when I was listing some kangaroo varieties for sale on feebay. I found the software just fantastic and enabled me to upload 6 different stamps in record time. Congratulations on this wonderful product.

ken
KGV tragic
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

Great to hear....!

I use it fairly regularly as I acquire new stamps.
DaveJenk
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by DaveJenk »

Jason,

I really can't underestimate how much time your excellent Stamp Bursting tool has saved me. No more using Gadwin PrintScreen or saving multiple copies and doing lots of cropping for me :).

All the best.

Dave
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

Glad to hear it..... I haven't added much in the way of features lately (too many other projects) but I feel there is sufficient logic there as is, to apply for most situations.

Just remember that while it is free to use, I still need to provide the website which is sponsored by the charity of other users.

-Jason
DaveJenk

Post by DaveJenk »

Message received Jason and I total understand. I've dropped you a separate note as per the info on your website as I would be more than willing to provide a donation help provide the website.

Is the least I can do as like I say, you're app has saved me a lot of time!!
JonEboy

Post by JonEboy »

Actually I too have been remiss in thanking Jason for this super tool. I recently finished the image gallery for my website over Christmas and without Stampburst it would have been nigh on impossible. Thanks Jason - I'll also email you regarding something to help you collection :D

Jon
Barbados, Commonwealth, France & Colonies, GB, Line Engraved, Intaglio & Recess printed stamps
http://www.barbadosstamps.co.uk
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

Oops... this was meant for my other thread on the page generator.
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

All - I have posted an update today for the Image Bursting software. (Happy Valentines day)

Two minor fixes (both pet-peeves of me and I am sure some users)
  • If you open an image, burst, process and save the sub images and then repeat this on another image some times (I was never able to isolate the condition) stamp image artifacts of the last burst would appear in the rows of the second page. This prevented you from entering data for these images (the image preview on the right was ok, but the row in the table was corrupt). The only workaround was the restart the application. I believe I have resolved this (although it was a brute force technique to use - so there might be an ever so slight delay on rendering the second step depending on your hardware)
  • If using Windows 8 I found the burst target dialog was not high enough and you constantly had to make it bigger. This is now resolved.
Enjoy. Updates should be downloaded automatically on accessing the application. (You can check the version by going to Help->About. Under the title you should see "Version 2.1 (Build 2013-02-14_12-26-46)" or higher)

-Jason
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

After my update yesterday while doing some image processing today I discovered another possible regression that leaked in due to my changes last night. Essentially the preview image was not always changing when clicking a row on the second step. I am not clear if this was a regression from before but it didn't make sense that I could only change the image if I clicked in a control (like the text field, combo box etc.). This is now resolved and I also found a performance cache tweak to improve management of resources on this step. The update will happen automatically on accessing the program (new version is Build 2013-02-16_00-58-04)

-Jason
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

Hi everyone - I posted a small update this morning/last night which also changed the versioning from 2.1 to 2.2. No feature changes that would impact anyone (I had to update my web services bridge to work with my 2.0 web services - was getting tired of a country list that was out of wack....).

I also updated the certificate so that it isn't expired - but since it is only local signed and not through an authority (that is $350+ to do) you will still get a dialog indicating the author is unknown.

Might be able to get to some new features over the summer if anyone would like to sponsor any.

One last thing - if there are problems getting the update you may want to remove the older 2.1 version first. See the uninstall directions on http://www.drakeserver.com/ if you are not sure how to do this. I would recommend however letting the auto-update just do its thing first.

Cheers.
-Jason
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

Today I have uploaded some big processing enhancements to version 2.2 which I think many users will find useful (especially if you are scanning modern stamps or heavily cancelled/overprinted stamps). By default there is no changes from the existing behavior, but with a few tweaks you can process some images that have caused problems for some users in the past.

The changes are described as follows:
  • Added the ability to toggle image processing tracing to temporary images with
    support menu and notice dialog for additional technical support.
  • Added INS (Insert) key support to add a new box shortcut
  • Provided support toggle for "modern" stamps (better processing of large
    stamps with lots of white borders with possible tight placement on the page.
  • Providing dilation filter which can help identify and process cancels and wide
    banded overprints.
Temporary Image Output
Overall, I would say the support toggle under the help menu is of minimal value to end-users but if there are images that are not processing correctly this can be used to help get the temporary images being processed in memory written to disk at each stage of the processing. They will write the the temporary file location on your desktop/laptop. Space requirements would be about 10-20x the size of the file you are loading (and each image burst will override the images). I would recommend in general not enabling this as it will slow processing down (but is useful and convenient for me to help diagnose issues). When sending me images, I only need to initial image + an understanding of what switches/toggles you have set.

Insert Key
The insert key is useful but for those familiar with the tool is not rocket science. Instead of having to click the "+" icon to add new boxes manually you can hit "insert" key and then click.

Modern Stamps
Ok modern stamps. What is this? Well I was processing a few hundred 1950-1970 stamps and noticed I was getting a few low "hit rate" of bounding areas. It turned out it had to do with the white space on modern stamps and that they do not all have framelines like the classics. I wrote some additional filtering algorithms that will process this better. To use this you need to toggle the application between "modern" or "classic" mode through the toolbar toggle (see image below). There is a Canada Victoria Widow stamp for "classic" (it is truly a classic) and some Romania balloon thingy for modern (but it looks ok)
Dilation
No we are not giving birth. I have had users report issues with dealing with canceled stamps. Below is a low-res version of an image a user was attempting to burst. Two stamps in this image (Row 3, stamp 2 and Row 4, stamp 3 will not get picked up by the image bursting).
Why is this?

Well if we look at the sequence images (which I was able to get from the new support feature) and I zero in on stamp Row 4, column 3 - internally there is a series of processing steps. Below is an image showing the progression through the following three of the processing steps (out of 12+ total):

(1) After edge Enhancement
(2) After binary inversion (conversion of color to black and white inverted)
(3) After Fill holes (close in the bounding area) - last step before we run particle analysis
As you can see after the third sequence there is not one particle, but many small particles. For this reason they were excluded from the image bursting during analysis.

A new feature was added to take the dark "blobs" and dialate them (which you can think of as expand their area). This is accessed through the Menu->Tools->Settings->Processing Tab and moving the dilation count between 0 (no dilation) and 20 (which is probably very excessive). This will impact all stamps in the scan, and I recommend spacing them wider to accommodate the dilation. If we now do this, using the same image above - here is the resulting sequence (enhancement not shown)

(1) After 1-step dilation
(2) After 5-step dilation
(3) After 10-step dilation
(4) Fill holes (notice how we now have a "blob")
Now this stamp (and all others) get picked up by the analysis of bounding areas. I would only recommend this for heavily cancelled stamps that over the stamps or for overprints that are bar-style cancels. You can use this with the modern or classic modes.

Hope these enhancements prove to be useful for people. I have not had any recent sponsorship so these features were only added after I was processing hundreds of modern stamps and having to add boxes manually.

https://www.drakeserver.com to get the application if you do not have it installed (it should update automatically if you have it installed already)

Cheers

-Jason
organicm

Post by organicm »

I'd like to get a copy of this software and some of those old german stamps.
Mark
--------------------------------------------------------
Collect Germany & British Empire (KG6 mainly)
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

Well the website is listed and it is all over my signature so it shouldn't be hard to find. Go ahead and give it a shot. As for the German stamps..... that was a user's image not mine - but I believe he sold them (since he is a dealer!)
Lakatoi 4

Post by Lakatoi 4 »

Getting better every time Jason. Another well done is in order 8)
Tony
organicm

Post by organicm »

Brilliant Jason. You've done us all a great service. I am going to go and check your page software now.
Mark
--------------------------------------------------------
Collect Germany & British Empire (KG6 mainly)
wesley999
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by wesley999 »

I have just loaded the software, updated my Java and extracted some images.

These were used on ebay and I can only say thank you.

You have saved me a monster headache.

Well done.

Sponsorship is on its way
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

Just a quick note (since I am confronted this with my day job)... Oracle is changing some of Java's security constraints in the near year in regards to Applets. The image bursting tool is written in Java but is deployed using Java Webstart technology (not as a browser based applet). It is unclear to me at this time if their changes will impact the ability to start the application from the web or not. Please note I am committed to supporting the tool and Java (as a runtime) will be supported and live on for Windows, Linux and Mac OSs.

I will try and evaluate any impacts over the next few months and can state now that there will be no impacts in terms of how you access/use the software (just possibly on how you launch it).

The worst case (this depends on your perspective I suppose) would be for me to change it to an application that you have to download the .zip and expand this to a folder. I can provide appropriate .sh and .bat/.cmd files to launch the application. One advantage of this is you wouldn't get the security dialogs and could configure it to use more memory. There are downsides of course (no auto-updating - I need to be more conscientious of which version individual users are using etc.)

Stay tuned. I am going to a big conference next week in SF sponsored by Oracle (JavaONE) so hopefully I'll get some more details while there.

-Jason
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

I am cross posting here to let everyone know I have uploaded an update which will work with Java's highest security levels and will not have any issues with the upcoming Java 1.7.0_45 release.

See this thread text for details and screen shots.
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

Well Oracle seems to have pounced early and released the Java 1.7.0_45 change today. Fortunately I was working on something and was forced to update and in doing so found a small issue with the image bursting app and page gen that prevented it from running with the VERY-HIGH security setting set. This has since been fixed. So if you get 1.7.0_45 on your system (or hopefully) later versions it should just work.

Oracle is going to pay for this I think!

-Jason
memphre

Post by memphre »

Hi Jason

This is the first time I wanted to use the Stamp Image Busting software since installing Maveriks (Mac OS 10.9). My already installed copy would not open and I got a message I can translate to «Impossible to open the application».

I tried to download a new version from drakeserver but when I tried to open this I then got a message «Cannot open «stamp-imagingparsing-2.jnip» as this app comes from an unidentified developer».

I suspect this problem is tied to Mavericks as I have been haunted by problems ever since moving to that system version.

On the other hand, could it be related to my still using Apple Java 1.6? As I made Chrome my default browser, I hesitate to move to Java 1.7 which would necessitate my moving back to Firefox. However, I'll do it if I must.

I don't get to use the bursting application often these days but I surely miss it when I need it. I have come to depend on it.

Best regards

Memphre
I'm also Memphre on Delcampe. Always about 15,000 items in my Delcampe store: stamps, postcards and postal history. See it here: www.delcampe.net/en_GB/collections/boutique/memphre
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

It is quite possible it is due to the Apple JDK 1.6. Oracle rightly or wrongly is getting tough on people using older versions of Java that have security holes in them.

I am not sure why/if Apple's Java would have these restrictions but it is possible I suppose. If you can get a screen shot of the error I might be able to assist more.

Obviously officially speaking, I can only really support Oracle's VM (since I do not know an Apple nor will I.... ever). I read up about Chrome's Mac 64bit/32bit issues with plugins. More reasons to avoid Macs. :-)

My application is signed with a Certificate issued by Certum and meets all of Oracle's security restrictions for the current version of Java. I think like Chrome, and Firefox, the days of installing Java for 2 years+ are over..... it will be auto-update every month.....

Your could install Firefox + Java and still use the older Java with Chrome could you not? You'd have to use Firefox to run the application. Note: You don't NEED a web browser to run the application.... it is not an applet. All you need is Java. If you want I can provide you the command line command to launch the application. However it would require the new version of Java, although perhaps if you installed the JDK (the development toolkit) you wouldn't have to mess with the Chrome browser? Again talking about Macs with me is like speaking Klingon to a goldfish...
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

One other point - you undoubtably have this, but you need to have an internet connection now to use the tool since it requires a connection to confirm the certificate matches with what is signed. (I know a pain in the keister)

I am starting the think I need to provide the application as a .zip you can unzip to a folder and run a .bat/.sh command to start it (I have no idea what the equivalent is on Mac). This bypasses all the plugin nonsense, but leads to a slew of new issues..... like updating the app for example.

-Jason
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

Thanks to JonEBoy I think I know the problem afflicting Mac users, but do not know the resolution.

The issue is somehow the buggy Mac Java VM is added "jnlp" extension to the "jar" file that represents the application when it tries to download it. I have verified this is NOT on my side and it is an issue that seems to crop up with Mac VMs. So instead of

http://www.drakeserver.com/javaws/tools/stamp-imageparsing-2.0-javaws.jar

it is requesting:

http://www.drakeserver.com/javaws/tools/stamp-imageparsing-2.0-javaws.jarjnlp

I have seen a few discussions on this issue, but no clear fix/workaround, although many have reported being able to execute it from a command line. The command to run this from a command line is the following:

Code: Select all

javaws -Xnosplash http://www.drakesever.com/javaws/tools/stamp-imageparsing-2.0-javaws.jnlp

Perhaps you could try that?

I don't know if perhaps a more informed Mac user can provide a set of instructions for users of Mac on how to run this? It looks like there is a Terminal located under "Applications/Utilities" in your application launcher. I believe if you open this (assuming the Java VM is available in command path - you should be able to run that command)
memphre

Post by memphre »

Hi Jason

Thanks for your prompt replies.

I have tried a few things, including loading Java 1.7 but I still cannot open the application.

From a Help message regarding the «unidentified developer» warning I see that what this means is a developer not registered with Apple. The same help window indicates that by using «Control - Open», I should be able to open the application, bypassing the security control. So far, so good.

However, when I use that command, I still get message «Impossible to launch the application». The «Details» window associated with this message includes 2 sub-windows. Here are captures of these windows. There are some French words included, as French is my main system language.

The heading reads: Error: Impossible to load the specified file/URL

This window is titled «Exception enveloppée» which would translate to «Wrapped Exception», though I'm pretty sure that's not what it means.

Can you make anything out of this?

Regards

Memphre
I'm also Memphre on Delcampe. Always about 15,000 items in my Delcampe store: stamps, postcards and postal history. See it here: www.delcampe.net/en_GB/collections/boutique/memphre
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

Well this is the same error that was reported to me by JonEBoy. As you can see in the second window it is trying to add jnlp to the jar file path which is not valid. I suppose I could simply create a copy of the .jar to be a .jarjnlp and see if that solves the problem (but I am doubtful of this). I did look at the files on my end and they all clearly reference a .jar not a .jarjnlp so the jnlp is being added on the Apple system. One apple tech article might be key here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2828

Although this seems to be an inability to know what to do with jnlp, which I am not sure is the problem here - since the dialogs you are getting are Java stack traces (meaning Java is being executed). If either you or JonEBoy could try the steps in the kb article above and let me know if that resolves the issue? If it doesn't I can try to create a copy of the .jar to .jarjnlp (as a pure hack).

Finally, within the jnlp (this is the file that describes the app and tells it where to get the .jar which is the application code) I am using a relative URL. If I change this to a fully-qualified URL I don't think it will impact anyone else (windows/Linux - these I can at least test). I will also call some of my tech buddies around this part during football today and see if I can find any of them with a MacBook or something that exhibit this issue (and then try a few things to resolve it)

The last scenario would be to provide a standalone .zip which you could extract and then have to run manually. I would have to add some code that could help you determine if there is a newer version available (since I would only support the "latest" version)

We'll figure this out.

As to the developer .... I have a certification from Certum CA which is a recognized code signing authority. Oracle JVM should recognize this and properly identify me "Jason Drake" as the author/owner and you can view the certificate chains and validity of certificate. ie. Certum CA is certifying that "I" have written and released this code (since the only way to produce it is with the special "key" that only I have as issued by Certum. I am not sure why Apple is complaining about me not being an approved Apple developer (which I am certainly not)... The Java VM (from Oracle) should have nothing really to do with Apple.
memphre

Post by memphre »

Hi Jason

Thanks for your suggestions.

I did try both hacks suggested in the Apple kb file. To no avail.

After each hack I've tried launching Stamp Bursting both in the normal fashion and with the security bypass, always with the same dialogs showing up.

As to the «unidentified developer» label bestowed on you by Apple, it just means that you don't distribute the app through the App Store, so they have not tested it, nothing more.

Regards and hope your team wins this pm.

Memphre
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

Memphre, So I had a friend upgrade this MacBook Pro to Mavericks and he was successful executing the app. Now I did make a small change in that I fully qualified the href paths in the jnlp file in an attempt to force it to not "guess" at the URL and extension(s). Can you try this? If this does not work, I am not sure what Apple is doing here...... I can try my ultimate hack which is to copy the .jar to a .jarjnlp and see if that works (it would satisfy the download request - but who knows if it is valid to do so). I can do this tomorrow if we want to check

-Jason
memphre

Post by memphre »

Hi Jason

BINGO!!! :D :D :D

It works. I had to download a new copy and then to force it open with the «Control - Open» command, read dire warnings about the perils of using applications from unknown developers and attest that I was trusting you as the developer at my own risks, nothing more!

Thanks for your responsiveness. This is a most useful piece of software I'm glad I'll be able to use again and you're a champ amongst dedicated developers.

I'll be making a thank you donation, not a fair payment for your efforts but a token of appreciation.

Best regards

Memphre
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

I did want to mention I have had reports (only a couple) of people having difficulty launching the application with the newer version of Java getting a security constraint about a Permissions attribute not being provided. If you are seeing this you are undoubtably using a pre-2.2 version of the software (as this is fully resolved in 2.2).

If you are having difficulties launching the tool (and didn't in the past) I would recommend following the remove/uninstall procedure I document on http://www.drakeserver.com. Normally the software will check for a new version and automatically update to the latest version. For some they seem to be stuck on a version that is 6+ months old (and does not meet Oracle's new outrageous security constraints - which the new version does). If you see the Publisher: Unknown then it is an old version. The new versions (2.2 from mid-November onward) will say "Open Source Developer, Jason Drake" and you can view the signing certificate in the lower left (under More Information) when launching the app.

-Jason
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

Hi everyone - I just wanted to provide a summary of updates provided today which were through the sponsorship of a user of the software. Let me know if you run into any issues.

What Changed/Added

* I was sponsored to provide the ability to require a minimum size of images. Apparently eBay is now requiring images to be at last 350kb for stamps which can be difficult to achieve with 600DPI for some stamps. To this end under the settings you can not choose to set a minimal pixel size for images or you can specify a minimal file size. If the file size is chosen if will save the image, check the file size against the minimal file size and if not large enough, estimate a scaling factor, resize the image and repeat (up to 100 times if necessary). If using this option the saving will be slower because they may be 5+ iterations of saves going on.

Please note the file size is in kilo-bytes. This currently does not have any bounding, although if you try and save images as 80000kb or something you will run out of memory.

jadrake

Post by jadrake »

All - I did some qualification tests against the latest Oracle update Java 1.7 u51 released today with security fixes and verified my application correctly meets all the standards for the highest level of security settings and runs without issue.

Let me know if you run into any issues.

Cheers

Jason
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

All - due to sponsorship from one of my users I am please to release a new feature in the image bursting application.

Now, when you go to burst the images, the dialog will contain a set of radio buttons ( * ) allowing the user to optionally specify a prefix and/or suffix. Both the selection and the prefix/suffix are remembered between burst executions and sessions. Either is optional and specifying nothing in the field will not add a prefix or suffix. There is an example label to show the format for you. The default will be "Do not apply a filename modifier" which is the same behavior as you have had previously.

The conflict dialog will also show the filename correctly with the appropriate prefix or suffix as specified.

Legal values are generally anything valid for files (A-Z,0-9, dashes, underscores, spaces)

This change was not considered significant enough (it didn't change the parsing algorithm) so I did not major change the version, so it is still at 2.2

Regards

-Jason
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

Certification Revokation

My signing certificate got revoked because I didn't respond to an email I never received (I looked including spam filters and it was never received in my in boxes)..... so image bursting and page generator are dead on the internet at the moment.

I can not do anything about this for at least 24 hours. I will look to provide them as an executable JAR file that is not distributed by Java Web Start. This will avoid certificate signing nonsense, but will not provide automatic updates. As such, any users will be responsible for using the latest "version" before reporting problems.

There is nothing I can do to resolve this other than change the delivery or get CERTUM to reissue the certificate. However given that they cut me off entirely without any warning (in my view) I am not particularly favorable to the cut off approach.

I will be able to provide a launch script for windows, but I might need some help from someone who has an Apple/Mac to provide an install script or instructions to launch a java application from a script.

-Jason
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

All - I have a newly issued CERTUM certificate and both the image-burster and page generator are operational.

Thanks for your patience (there was nothing I could have done to avoid this unfortunately)

-Jason
BIGANDYN

Post by BIGANDYN »

Thank you, Jason.

As always your hard work on this is much appreciated.
If it ain't broke.....fix it 'til it is!!

http://www.lanarkshireps.co.uk
dptashny

Post by dptashny »

Very nice, I use it all the time!!!
Lakatoi 4

Post by Lakatoi 4 »

Jason, the program has somehow disappeared from my computer so I just got back on your website, clicked on the download now button and got this:

"Bad installation. No JRE found in configuration file"

Can you help please :?:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Ha, just reloaded Java (I had Version 7 already) and now it works fine so ignore the message above Jason.

Perhaps worthwhile leaving this here if anyone else has the same problem they just have to reload Java :idea:
Tony

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”