Stamp Image Bursting software

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

jadrake
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: Stamp Image Bursting software

Post by jadrake »

For those who have been loyal followers and users of the tool.... I have a thread started on a possible next generation of this ... I would appreciate your voting to give me some guidance:

http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=58833
Bringing you these great Stamp Software tools - Stamp Image Bursting Application | Stamp Album Page Generator
Collector of Early Mint British Commonwealth, Germany, Iceland, Japan
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

I just wanted to post a quick update that I have updated the signed certification that would have been due in a few days to a newer cert. that is good until next year. As such, the application will be updated when you attempt to access it. If the update fails, the easiest resolution is to uninstall and then re-download the application from www.drakeserver.com

I have not had any reported problems amongst the users who have updated.

Thanks

Jason
Bringing you these great Stamp Software tools - Stamp Image Bursting Application | Stamp Album Page Generator
Lakatoi 4
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Location: First star on the right then straight on till morning ...

Post by Lakatoi 4 »

Keep up the good work Jason 8)
Tony
"A cancelled stamp tells part of the story, a cover tells it all"
memphre
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by memphre »

Hi Jason

The software doesn't seem to work with Mac OS X.11 (El Capitan).

Regards

Memphre
I'm also Memphre on Delcampe. Always about 15,000 items in my Delcampe store: stamps, postcards and postal history. See it here: www.delcampe.net/en_GB/collections/boutique/memphre
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

Oh joy. Can you tell me, does Java work on OS X11?

I personally do not have access to macs, but I have coworkers who do..... If it is because it is not installed, you can set it up this way

http://osxdaily.com/2015/10/17/how-to-install-java-in-os-x-el-capitan/

(follow the Java 8 instructions)

Jason
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

Unfortunately in a few weeks, my signing certificate is set to expire. When this happens the application will no longer work.

While it has been my pleasure to provide this application for free to all, the reality is that there are no longer any signing authorities offering a free signing certificates for open-source projects. The cost of certificates can range from $60 or hundreds of dollars / year.

While some members have provided some help in this regard in the past, there are other considerations. Many will not know this, but in order to receive a Class-2 signing certificate I have to provide proof of who I am, in the way of scans of my drivers license(s), passports, social security numbers or birth certificates.

Given that many signing authorities are located in Russia, Poland, Israel, as well as the United States, I no longer feel comfortable providing these materials to any of these organizations. Especially given identity fraud.

As such, I will work to provide a ZIP file download of each application. This download will allow you to simply put the application in a directory and execute it, however different operating systems will differ in how the application is launched. I will try and provide instructions (as least for Windows users).

* The advantage of this approach is you will not require the Internet to run the program (some users will enjoy this)

* The disadvantage is you will not receive updates automatically but will have to download them manually.

I had thought that I may have found a solution in an innovative tool that will compile the Java code into a native executable for Windows or MacOS, however while the author of the tool states they support Open Source software and offer licenses, the amount of resistance I saw clearly states to me this is simply a statement to bring attention to the product, but that they are commerically focussed.

I have many personal and business activities going on in the next few weeks, so I will do my best to provide the ZIP files up to the website as well as instructions. Please be patient and thank you all for you support

Regards

Jason
briggia
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by briggia »

Thanks Jason - amazing application. I'm sure many will be keen on your next update on this.

briggia
Whilst growing my usage collection, I also collect other stuff.
noernberg
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by noernberg »

Thank you Jason. I'm sorry the project isn't able to be continued as planned. I have enjoyed using it and greatly appreciate your putting the application out there for download. I will pay close attention.

Regards, Doug.
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

I know this is a duplicate message from the Album Generator Thread but I want to make sure the information is consistently conveyed

After some testing, I should be able to continue deploying the application with a self-signing certificate. (I did a brief test for about an hour last week - hopefully it did not disrupt anyone) This will require some adjustment of users to add my website http://www.drakeserver.com on their exception list as well as a few more dialogs on startup that make things look "scary". I will attempt in the next week to document this on the website and provide images of the various dialogs.

The only risk to anyone is the certificate is not backed/verified by a third party, meaning as a user of the software you are taking a risk that I am not who I say I am. I will also provide a .zip file download at a later point that can avoid any internet lookups, however this will primarily be for those users who can execute files in their directories and in order to receive support they would need to ensure they are on the latest version.

Thanks to maptrekker for the suggestion. I did not want to go this route, but alas, Oracle has not left my much choice if I want to share this application with the wide audience, and frankly I simply do not have the time at the moment to rewrite them into web-applications (although the page generator would be pretty easy to do so and may be my first!)

Stay tuned.... there might be some rough moments around the 20-24th

Jason
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

Ok - I have updated the app to the self-signing certificate. It should download the update the next time it runs, and it will likely fail because of the certificate issue. I have updated the website to reflect the instructions you need to make.

Please visit http://www.drakeserver.com/# and click on the tab "Setup Help" which will take you through it.

This is a one-time setup necessary to adjust to the self-signed code.

Jason
FSAMAAA
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by FSAMAAA »

It's been a while since I've said anything about this tool, and given some recent usage, it seems like a good time.

I LOVE THIS! I use this for every stamp that I scan. I've also just recently discovered the "conjoin" functionality, and it has made it that much easier for me to create scans of sets of stamps. Here is an example of what this does.

First, I scan a page with a set of stamps on it.

You'll notice that there is quite a bit of empty space between the rows. Normally, I'd try and use a sheet with more rows on it, so that the stamps are closer to each other. Because of the "conjoin" functionality, with a few quick clicks, this is what comes out.

As an added bonus, I didn't have to re-size any of the image boxes in the process.

I'm just really thankful to have access to this application. I'm starting to wonder, though, what other functionality is here that I haven't stumbled across yet.

Jason ... a truly heartfelt thanks.

Rob
Lakatoi 4

Post by Lakatoi 4 »

Jason,

Every time there's a problem with a program, certification or whatever, you overcome it with your hard work and abilities and you do it for no financial gain.

I'm sure I speak for eveyone here in saying that your efforts have made things easier and saved a lot of time for all users of your brilliant application.

Well done :!:
Tony
vinobub
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by vinobub »

I have not checked, but has this thread ever been nominated for the "Most Helpful Thread" monthly award? If not, a more deserving candidate would be tough to find....
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

Thanks vinobub - but yes, I did win it a few years ago. I have not been 100% idle either, but alas even though I have various designs that would move away from Java WEB Start framework that is vexing I still always come down to.... Do I have the resolve and the time to commit to doing it in a short period of time.... the answer alas is always no.... career, kids (including one who is a amazing soccer talent and on a big travel team) and well... stamp collecting.... does not leave time to build another mouse trap that may or may not be ... well better.

But do not worry.... I also use it daily/weekly - there has even been a few pet peeves of mine..... For example I collect mostly mint, but have several areas I collect used (like German empire, colonies, and Saar). I put my files on a network share p:\ under a folder "stamps". In that folder I have it organized by country "Germany - Federal Republic", "Germany - Empire" etc. and within that I have the mint stamps in the folder and a subfolder called "used" for the used stamps. Since I can only burst the used or mint stamps at a time I burst the mint to p:\ and the used to c:\temp. Then copy used stamps over to used folder under the country. You see where I am going right? something like an alternative "sub-path" or something and if you check the row it puts it there to save me this copy nonsense.
Trent
I was online for post number ONE MILLION!

Post by Trent »

Hi Jason

Thanks so much for your wonderful tool but it's not working at the moment (for me anyhow).

I get the 'downloading application' dialogue which churns for a while then I get a 'applicatation failed to start'

The error message says:
Is it just me or is there something else going on. I've been using it frequently lately without issue and I haven't changed my Java set up for ages.
I really should be doing something else...
Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

Photobucket links in this thread have all been replaced today (except for a couple of dead links which were remvoed).
Always looking for new swap partners: Swap thread (INDEX of Lots in first post)
Please visit my Colnect page for my country and thematic wish and swap lists - these are always being updated.
Rog
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by Rog »

Trent,

I just used it successfully and that link you posted works. Perhaps the server was offline when you tried and perhaps trying again now will work ?
My Stamp Blog & Shop : The Stamp Book
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

Sorry for a late response. I am not sure why but I ran into this the other night with my page gen app which I get from the web. I worked around it by running the uninstall (see www.drakeserver.com you need to remove it from the Java console) and then click the download again from the website.

Jason
Trent

Post by Trent »

I just tried again and all is back to normal.

I feel a bit better that Jason ran into the same issue.

Jason, I'll try your suggestion if it happens in the future, thanks for responding.
I really should be doing something else...
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

No problem. I can honestly say it was not anything on my end since I have not pushed any updates lately. Been so busy I have not had time to work on things, but I have been bouncing around the idea of either a web based tool / non-webstart java tool. There is some interesting technologies out there. The main challenge is the part we all love (the image analysis and stamp "finding") is a java application/library. It is the stuff around it (the UI, the image file handling) which I could do some much nicer and newer technologies. Mostly it has been a case of it works reasonable well and is not getting in my way (I use it weekly) so my motivation to revamp has been low (that plus I have so many pulls on my time)

-Jason
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

Heh everyone! I am still here, but not too active of late. I wanted to post a little on what I am thinking of trying to enhance/improve/rearchitect the Image Bursting software away from Java WebStart. While ideally building a Client-Server Web application is the right architecture, I don't think anyone really wants to pay for the infrastructure to support such a system, plus I think it would result in a lot of big image transfers.

I am looking to do something with a more modern UI, but still leverage the power of the image processing library I am using. The big issue here is that library is in Java, whereas JavaScript is where most of the UI development (and my skills) lie.

I have a proposal up on the website here: https://github.com/jadrake75/stamp-imageparsing/wiki/Designing-for-the-Future which is a little coderesque so likely not for those who are not in software development. It outlines the key challenges and spikes I need to do to identify architecture / patterns to solve.

I will post more of my progress as I work through it, but please note I will continue to support the older Java Webstart application until there is a viable alternative ready, even it is means taking the application, putting it in a zip file and having everyone run it from their command prompt.

Regards
Lakatoi 4

Post by Lakatoi 4 »

Keep up the great work Jason, your software has been invaluable to me and many others here.
Tony
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

Figured I would post a small update.....

I have been working my way through my technology spikes and even been committing some code, at this moment it is quite crude. However .... I was able to build an installer that installs the app, starts up a native Windows Application, allows the user to pick an image from your hard disk and then dispatch it to an "image processor" routine that returns me the dimensions of the found rectangles. I won't begin to describe the hurdles I overcame and difficulty of making ALL of that work.... however, it is looking very promising.... From a usable application perspective it is not of value, but from a validation of the processing and tooling it is immense. I suspect by end of Monday August 6th, I will know enough to validate all my approaches and will be able to start assembling an application in earnest. Will post screen shots and make it available for download once I have something usable which I am thinking is... open a image, process it and type in file "names" and output them to a folder. Then all the fun begins (moving found boxes, adding/removing them, conjoining, different DPI settings etc.)

I am also starting to think on the UX (User-Experience). Before I had a step 1/step 2 approach - I may change this up a bit in this version but need to give it some careful thought.

Regards
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

Just to show I have not been blowing smoke.... here is the app as of this moment...

* It is a standalone application
* You can see I loaded an image
* It ran some analysis and found the boxes (this is using the same "engine" as the current solution)
* The boxes are displayed in the image pane
* I zoomed out to show a bit

This is not a real "user experience" yet - but slowly but surely I am building the pieces up. Likely won't work on it again till next week.... However when you consider I am stitching together a few technologies - it is great progress!
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

I have put up a "sketch art" of the general thinking of the design if anyone is interested on the development website here: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jadrake75/stamp-imageparsi ... sketch.png. This is a crude artistic (if you can call it that) rendering. The real application will be a lot better and "pretty" but conceptually you can see how I am thinking to combine the two "steps" into a single step that allows you to see the image you are parsing/bursting and you can go down through the list. My assumption is that most people are not using wide-aspect monitors with at least 1366x768 resolution (mine are all 1920x1080).
Rog

Post by Rog »

Looking good there Jason :D

With regard to the speed of getting things done, which is where this kind of app is a boon, I think minimal mouse clicks would be something to consider. If you could add things like using 'tab' to cycle over the UI that would be great - I am not sure if W10 does this automatically, it's been a while since I coded anything for Windows.

I wonder - seeing as you can set the default folder, would it be feasible to auto name the burst images ? I've used your current app to burst images for some of my collection and I tend to name the images by their SG number - and they live in a folder for each country.

There are times though, like when I burst images for my stamp store, where I am not so particular about file names and if they were automatically numbered in some way that would reduce my time spent on fiddly bits.

Anyway, just a few thoughts :) Good luck !
My Stamp Blog & Shop : The Stamp Book
richardj
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Post by richardj »

I have used the java version a lot and absolutely love it. To get this into a standalone app would just about make it perfect. Keep up the great work and look forward to following your development.
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

To Richard and Rog, thanks. While it will be a standalone app, it will require a Java Runtime to be installed. However it will not be using the web-start just a java "JDK" or "JRE" on your system somewhere (which is going to be supported forever). This is because the image library I use for the processing is Java based. Getting my code to call into that Java code was a challenge but I have it working pretty well now....

Rog - trust me.... keyboard support will be there. I am ALL about minimum mouse clicks. I know how to make that work. :wink:

I actually added a big improvement to how the "add region" works - it is much more intuitive. You click and drag your box to add manual boxes. Have box selection working as well, and I am working on resize.

Patience is appreciated. I am pretty busy with kids in soccer and a full career plate, so I have been working on it ~ once a week for 5-6 hours..... but so far .... so good! I think once I get the resize region working I will switch to working on the file "writing" so I can output the regions. At that point I can start provide a downloadable "beta" probably for those few brave soles to play with it (however it will be limited in features and options)

-Jason
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

Well after a few week hiatus (I went to the APS Stamp Show in Columbus) and had a huge collection of Memel to process, I got back to some things today....

It is coming along. I am starting to flesh out the side panel and form data. I had to do a lot of consolidation of the model data. As you can imagine dealing with all these different technologies can be painful at times.

Here is a screen shot of how far I got:
https://www.stampboards.com/images/miscr/nVE0pOn.png

Some interesting aspects have come out:
  • Java is needed to do the "processing" to generate the boxes, however you can add boxes manually a LOT cleaner and easier than before. So in theory... no Java... no problem.
  • No network connectivity will be needed to run the application.
But don't get too excited yet. I am not writing out the images yet. As well, I am likely not dealing with the images as cleanly as I'd like. Since I have to move the image data to Java, into HTML-5 Canvas and everywhere in between I am doing a lot of byte copying around (which is not overly efficient). However there will be time to improve this later - right now I am trying to get to the point where I can take a scan and
  • find the boxes (yes)
  • render the boxes (scaled) onto the canvas (yes)
  • populate the list of regions on the right (yes)
  • ensure the list of regions is in sync with the canvas (yes)
  • allow specifying data and bursting to disk (no)
Still lots of work to do, but progress. The UI is anything but final, but starting to take shape in terms of blocks of code that have roles and responsibilities.

Cheers
DaveJenk

Post by DaveJenk »

Jason,

Have sent you an email as want to provide a contribution to you for all the hard work and time you spend on the Stamp Burster App. It's save me countless hours of snipping / cropping images over the last 5 years plus! I'm currently using it to split out 1,100 individual Prinz System pages full of stamps into their individual images!!

It is an awesome tool and for collectors like me with a (fairly) large world wide collection, gives me the ability to get digital copies of all of my stamps. Next stage in this life long project will be to get them displayed on a website somewhere so watch this space!!

The 'no network connection' sounds great as I can then make more use of my usual daily train commute to 'burst' away.

All the best and again, many thanks for providing the app to us all in the first place and keeping it working as the likes of Java / Microsoft throw more and more hurdles in the way.

Cheers

Dave J
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

Well I have made some further recent progress, and overall while it may not look great, there is a lot of core functionality coming together. For this milestone I was able to
  • Create a self-extracting/installing installer
  • Run a native windows application allowing an image to be opened
  • If Java is present on the machine execute the bounding box detection (I am going to make this triggered based on the existence of a valid Java VM on the system. So you can still use the app to create manual boxes without Java)
  • No network is needed to run
  • You can select stamps and enter a filename (this is crude but the basics are there)
  • I can save them to disk and the cropped image is saved. (no DPI setting, resolution scaling, JPEG->PNG etc. yet)
I made a short video (2:15 minutes) that can be viewed here: http://www.drakeserver.com/javaws/videos/BETA%20-%20Stamp%20 ... cation.mp4
  • You will not see the Windows frames or dialogs because it only films the actual window
  • The UI is a little crude right now, but more functionality is coming as I work on it.
If a few windows users are interested, once I get the forms a little more "designed out" and some of the key features working I will provide a BETA download for people to try.....
richardj

Post by richardj »

Hi Jason,

Hope you are well. Just wondering if you have made any progress on the app?

Thanks
Richard
David24
Green Star Less Than 10 Posts Member
Green Star Less Than 10 Posts Member

Post by David24 »

Only just discovered this app and although the OP seems to have gone quiet, it does seem very useful.

Microsoft do not seem to like Java in Windows 10 but I got Java from https://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp - you have to be careful to download the correct "offline install" version for your OS - ie 32 or 64 bit.

You also have to configure the Java because (as OP mentions earlier) the cost of Java Certification was too much for a free product. On the OP's website he states:

"You will need to configure your Java to handle http://www.drakeserver.com as an exception."

Do this at the Java control panel > security > edit site list > add

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”