Stamp Image Bursting software

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

jadrake
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: Stamp Image Bursting software

Post by jadrake »

Hello everyone - I have everything pretty ready to go. I currently have two volunteers to test out the install and application. Are there any others? If so please contact me via the Profile. Specifically I am looking for a Apple/Mac user as I have no access to such devices.

I will provide a public URL to the application in a few days after I have heard back from the testers.

thank you.

-Jason
Bringing you these great Stamp Software tools - Stamp Image Bursting Application | Stamp Album Page Generator
Collector of Early Mint British Commonwealth, Germany, Iceland, Japan
Alastair
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by Alastair »

Hi Jason,

I can beta test on an XP Professional 2002 SP3 if that helps but please be aware that I will not be able to help from the 22nd on till the end of the year.

I really look forward to your software, either beta or the released version. I appreciate all the work you are putting into this, as I am a programmer myself.

Regards,
Alastair
Trent
I was online for post number ONE MILLION!
I was online for post number ONE MILLION!

Post by Trent »

pm sent re testing
I really should be doing something else...
funbaldguy
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by funbaldguy »

I just found this post and I am thrilled to see this new software for the stamp collectors. Jason, thank you for not only creating something like this, but working towards sharing it with everyone!

George
The most interesting thing about a postage stamp is the persistence with which it sticks to its job....
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

All - just wanted to thank those who volunteered to help test. We found a few things, got some great comments and I have managed to resolve many of them (issues are being tracked in Google site). I believe given the volunteers so far that I do not need more testers as the moment. So if you have not received an email response, please wait a few more days and you can play with it till your hearts content.

I have two small features to add and will be releasing it later this week.

I think for the next 2-3 months there will be some further features added (based on feedback from testers) as well as a few differnet deployment strategies to handle larger images.

-Jason
Bringing you these great Stamp Software tools - Stamp Image Bursting Application | Stamp Album Page Generator
KevinHedley

Post by KevinHedley »

As a (near) computer illiterate I find the progress on this project astounding. :shock:

More power to you Jason.
Here to learn
Here to enjoy
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

Of course, I've spent more time on this than I imagined...... afterall it worked 100% for me before all this started, so the changes I have made have been to support you (or rather your cohorts who haunt this board).

I think I'll take a coding vacation after release for a few weeks! hahahaha
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

Everyone - after a long and trying time resolving a few remaining issues, I am happy to announce the official "public" release of the Stamp Image Burst Application. While there are still some issues to resolve and many enhancements already presented, I believe the application to be solid and work for many situations.

While the application is provided free of charge, I have spent many hours developing this application and if you wish to show your appreciation, I encourage you to get involved.

Implementation Notes
  • I suspect it will have difficulty with light colored backgrounds and scans with page borders (as has been discovered by some testers). I will create defects for these and attempt to address them for the next version.
  • Some images scanned at very high resolutions for full page scans when loaded, may not have enough memory to perform the particle analysis. In this case you will be presented with a message dialog with options. I do have some plans on how to address this in the future through enhancements.
Please read through the webpage instructions to receive the application here http://www.drakeserver.com

Many thanks to those who helped test the application with special thanks to Willy and Bob with their comments!

Enjoy!

-Jason
funbaldguy

Post by funbaldguy »

Good morning Jason,

I can't wait to download this and start using it. Hopefully tonight after work I can delve into it. Thank you for all the hard work you put into this program. What an a wonderful gift to the stamp community!

TY again, George!
The most interesting thing about a postage stamp is the persistence with which it sticks to its job....
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

I just wanted to make a quick comment about providing feedback....

I will provide "official" announcements of new versions/revisions on this board with the release notes likely monthly or depending on software development activity (it will go in cycles).

For issues/enhancement requests though, these should be done outside of the board (as that is software related and not stamp related). The preferred route would be if you have a google ID to get added to the project as a tester/user and file your issues using the google issues tracker here: http://code.google.com/p/stamp-imagebursting/issues/list?can ... ells=tiles. There are several advantages to this (and saves me time too)

If you do not have a google ID, you can contact me directly via Email and I can file a defect/enhancement on your behalf (but you will not get notified then on changes...), however please do not contact me without looking at the issue list first (there is nothing less than a reply of "already captured in issue 14".

If you have a image/scan that does not work (trust me I am sure there are many) in order to better debug/address the issue the project will need the scan. these are often larger than can you put here on stampboards.com. There are a couple options for this:
  • Upload the photo to a common website like photo bucket but only include/email a link (not the image)
  • Upload it to the project (you need to be a contributor for this)
  • File an issue/defect and attach it to the defect (this is the preferred way of course)
Finally - note this was not intended to be used for bursting photos of stamp pages. It was meant for scans.... a photo is simply not reliable enough to get an accurate particle definition.

Jason
VegasCraig
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by VegasCraig »

Thank you for this fantastic piece of software! I'm using a Mac, and have only had enough time to play with a few stock pages, but it works perfectly! I love it!
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

Hi everyone,
I just wanted to post a quick update on the latest submission uploaded tonight.

2011-01-04 Build
  • Improved the bounding box detection algorithm with additional filtering.
  • Improvements in memory management and freeing resources on reloads/regeneration.
  • Provided the ability to exclude bounding boxes over a certain threadhold of maximal area (ie. more than 85% of the size for example). This is useful to eliminate borders from page scans. The threshold value can be adjusted from the settings panel.
  • Provided the initial support for light background page scans (ie. album pages). There are some properties I need to expose for tweaking, but the basic capability is there. You need to toggle the page mode to "Light background" (second from the left toolbar icon) and either load/regenerate the bounding boxes. May only work for near-white to white pages (I doubt grey would work for example).
  • Finished internationalizing the text strings (localization support may come as translators are available)
The software should auto-update on next launch. I will try and keep updates to no more than once a week so as not to delay startups retrieving the latest version.

I will be on a fishing trip for the next few days and be unable to resolve any issues in short order.

Thanks
Jason
scotzm
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by scotzm »

It's all far too technical for me but I gave it a try and had interesting and amusing results when I compared the two printings of the 1961 GB POSB 3d stamp. One is from the Timson machine and the other is the Thrissell. The program shows the differences to perfection and the colour shift gave me countless hours of "toggle" fun watching the owl on the top right :)

jadrake

Post by jadrake »

toggle fun? Perhaps you are using the wrong software? Another author posted an application which allowed you to flip-flop between two images.

-Jason
scotzm

Post by scotzm »

OOOps! It was, of course, Simon Cronk's stamp compare program. Apologies. Simply a sign that I'm old and mad before my time. I shall retire a give myself a good thrashing AND a frontal lobotomy ..that's the only answer.
Brummie
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by Brummie »

Is anybody using this software? I'm waiting for reviews.

I don't have access to my scanner at the moment (renovating so just using laptop) so I can't use the software but would love to know what others think.
deerlandstamps
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Post by deerlandstamps »

I haven't used it extensively yet, but I was excited about its utility so I did a few test runs. Worked very well.

I tried it using both stamps in a stockcard (what it was designed for) and stamps in black mounts on an album page (what I'd like to use it for as well). It worked well in both cases (if you set the "padding" to zero in the latter case you get just the black border).
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

All - just wanted to make an announcement that I posted an updated build today which addressed a few issues noted below:

Version 2.0

Build 2012-01-17

* Clicking the Cancel button on File Open does not reload the image.
* Selecting a bounding box and hitting the DELETE key will delete it.
* Provided the ability to select and resize/move/delete bounding boxes that are overlapping by cycling through the bounding boxes on selection.

The last point I know was a pet peeve of many users which forced you to resize the main box first before you could delete the inner box. This resolves defects 5, 22. The "add new box qwerkiness" (defect 6) is almost working.
Brummie

Post by Brummie »

jadrake are you getting feedback? It would be great to get feedback here so others thinking of using it could see what users think of it.
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

Yes - I am getting a lot of feedback and create issues as we find problems. So far there have not been too many problems and lot of comments have been enhancements. The trickiest problem was an issue a member from Belgium ran into where the application wasn't starting on Windows XP due to a goofy Java JVM bug, but I have resolved that in the software.

The only statements I want to make that I think has caused some users confusion... this is not meant to magically and perfectly find every stamp on your page. It is using a complex particle analysis algorithm which can only discern stamps so far (given their complexity). Overall it works in 95%+ of the cases (finding the right bounding box) and when it doesn't there are easy tools to make corrections. I have provided additional tooling/settings for users to give better results (these were not needed for me). (Examples include very low-res images, white backgrounds etc.) As well it is meant for SCANNED images, not images taken with cameras that are not postioned directly overhead (ie. your mileage may vary)

Personally - I'd rather not "toot my own horn" and let others speak to it. So try the software! It is free, and you can always uninstall it if it doesn't work. It works and many users on this board are using it.

For those that have used it, feel free to post your comments. Issue discussion should probably be left through communication with me and the google project, but general impressions is what it seems is wanted here.

-Jason
youpiao
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Post by youpiao »

Thanks, Jason, for this great piece of software. I am the type who is too impatient to read instructions before trying out a new toy, and I had no trouble operating it by guess and by golly. I downloaded it, scanned a sheet of stamps, and almost instantly had 24 (of 25) nicely cropped individual images. The only glitch came with this stamp
Deleted image link removed

that got cropped to this:

Deleted image link removed

But this is easy enough to correct before the Burst operation is done.

Thanks again.

Tedski
"Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read." -- Groucho Marx
BIGANDYN

Post by BIGANDYN »

Just downloaded your software Jason.

So far looks excellent. Will give it a proper "test" at the weekend report back.

Andy

Ps I'll be operating it on Win7HP
If it ain't broke.....fix it 'til it is!!

http://www.lanarkshireps.co.uk
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

Giving it a "proper test".... for a software engineer the two worst words to hear going into a weekend!

Just remember to view the current issues at http://code.google.com/p/stamp-imagebursting/issues/list before sending me any Emails....

I am on a few week hiatas a little bit in regards to working on it (although I am more than happy to accept issues into the backlog). I've thrown together a PDF generator for my album pages (got the idea from one of the other threads). I tried http://www.thestampweb.com/%20Album%20Easy - which I do recommend having a look at - I just found the format wasn't matching my lighthouse page styling and figured I could crank something together using an XML input file... (I was right... took me only a day). I doubt I'll release this as it seems there are other programs floating about that do similiar (just not in my way - plus I learned the PDF iText library at the same time!).

Also I do want to thank the member who provided me with a gift as a thank you for the project. It really does help energize your efforts and helps to pay bills in keeping the hosting site running. I know he is getting a lot of use of the application in posting lots on wensey.com

Regards

-Jason
BIGANDYN

Post by BIGANDYN »

Jason,

Apologies...I put quote marks round proper test inadvertantly.

What I meant was it'd be the weekend before I got the chance to test your software out so wouldn't know what, if anything, I'd have to report back until then.

Do appreciate your work; like everyone on here I know how to work a PC but don't dare ask me to write a programme...I wouldn't know where to start.....so anyone who does write software has my appreciation.

Andy

Machaggis52
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!

Post by Machaggis52 »

Downloaded. Selected picture of a sheet of stamps. Applied the program to it. Individual images. Fifteen minutes.

This works better than many commercial programs. A hearty thank you!
With kind regards, Jim
noernberg

Post by noernberg »

I am so excited about this program I am just bursting (pun intended), but I can't get past a Java error! Can someone with experience help me get past it? I have verified Java Ver 6 Version 30 is running, and I have cleared out all older revs, but I keep getting this Application error: Security Exception - java.net.MalformedURLException : unknown protocol: socket

I would be most grateful!

-Doug

**UPDATE** I solved the problem. I followed the instructions posted at this URL and I successfully got past it! If you have the same problem I did, maybe this will help:

http://safeweb.tucloud.com/entries/268994-java-error-java-ne ... col-socket
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

noernberg - glad to see you were able to work around that error. Good to know it was not related to the program either.

Machaggis52 - thanks for you comments.

I guess with even more people using it, I'll need to deal with the pet peeve issue on step 2 of having to often click twice in a cell to change the filename/folder.

BTW: usability hint - if you have your folders set (which is now optional) and enter a filename in the first row if you click TAB it will auto-focus the next filename on row two. Of course clicking once should do the same thing but alas (silly Java editors/renderers)

Have fun!
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

Based on the error that noernberg posted, after reading though the issue and the official Oracle defect, I have added this troubleshooting information to the http://www.drakeserver.com website below the download button.

-Jason
BIGANDYN

Post by BIGANDYN »

Just run five pages through the system......done the job perfectly in no time.

As I've got about 500 album pages to enter this is going to save me a h**l of a lot of time.

Andy

jadrake

Post by jadrake »

All - I apologize. The software was not launchable for about 9 hours today. I did some refactoring yesterday and forgot to add a new dependency when deploying to drakeserver.com in one of my deployment scipts. I was so glad to be done and ready for bed I forgot to launch the application from the website! The issue is now resolved. Sorry for any inconvenience.

-Jason
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

All - I am pleased to announce the resolution of Issue 3 which was a major usability defect in my mind (and I am sure many of yours) whereby if you tried to select the drop-down folder or text field in the table on the second step you had to click twice (first to select the row and then you could select the values in the row). This is now resolved (it was only a couple lines of code, but finding the right spot proved to be "tricky" and turned out to be about three hours to resolve...).

This introduced another temporary issue, which is the first row will not have its text field focused (blinking cursor) when the step is shown initially. I figured the usability gain by properly selecting rows out-weighed the initial focus issue.

Enjoy

-Jason

BTW: I did check that it launches properly from the website this time after deployment so there shouldn't be any problems.
noernberg

Post by noernberg »

Thank you Jason! I hesitate to say that was annoying, because I am still just so elated to even have access to this program, but you have brought it one step closer to perfection, in my mind. Well done!
GlenStephens

Post by GlenStephens »

Being a Total Tech Trog I really must give this a whirl on the weekend.

If it works for me it will work for anyone. :lol:

Great work from jadrake getting this up and running. :idea:
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

Well if Glen is giving it a shot I am going to be in trouble now. :lol:

I have just submitted fixes for four issues and added a new feature to the second step.

I found that there was a lot of screen space "wasted" on the second step since I only needed ~ 520pixels to render the bursting image table. So to the right of this, I have provided a space to show the full burst image (for the selected row) unless the image is larger than the available space (in which case it will be as big as can be shown).

Selecting a different row in the table will change the image displayed (this includes changing focus or selecting on any of the widget like rotate buttons). This seems to be a much better use of the space and also avoids any popup/flyover windows (I had planned on using a floating image if you moved the mouse over the thumbnail - but I think this works better)

Other issues addressed:

[*] Regenerating bounding boxes or Opening a new image should disable toolbar actions.
[*] If a new image is opened from the second step, the application does not navigate back to the first step.
[*] When navigating to the second step, the first row will be selected and the filename will be focused.
[*] The amount a user can zoom in should be dictated by the amount of available memory for the client rather than a fixed scaling of 200%.
[*] Cleaned up an issue where not all the memory was being freed up when a new image was opened.

Cheers
-Jason
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

A few late night (at least for me) changes include:
  • On Apple is should say Quit with Command-Q shortcut (but need someone with a computer from the Evil empire to confirm)
  • Improved performance on Linux-based systems when reading folders (for Find by Folder session type).
  • Cleaned up handling of conflicts to not happen on the EDT swing thread (shouldn't impact any functionality - just cleanup on my TODO list for proper design/architecture).
-Jason
memphre

Post by memphre »

Hi Jason

I have used the application just a few times on my Mac and I find it very useful and a great time saver over the traditional process of scanning stamps one by one. I have even tried bursting cover images as I can place about 6 small covers at a time on my large bed scanner. Results were mixed with covers, twice useful, once not useful at all, but always great with stamps.

A few comments and suggestions:
- Yes, in Mac applications «Command-Q» is the universal quitting shortcut.

- When starting the application it looks for new versions and loads if any. A message saying «Loading new version XX.Y» rather than loading «Stamp Bursting..» would clearer.
- I am somewhat baffled by the target folder selection process. There is a »Default Folder» process at the beginning but that only goes to the first folder level and does not seem useful. Then, when «Burst» is applied, the target folder selection is again activated. The first step does not dig far enough to find the target folder, one has to go to the «List» menu to find it. This is confusing and counter intuitive to a Mac user, though it works.
- A «DONE» message would be useful. I always go to the target folder to verify if the new images are there.
- When renaming images, I find I save two sets of images, one set with the original names-numbers, one set with the new assigned names. Is the application set like this or is it something I do unknowingly?
- When renaming images I would save more time again if I were allowed to specify a root part to the names and to change that at will. Today, I was bursting two pages of Mauritius and Malta stamps and assigning image names based on SG numbers, such as Mauritius SG 123, then 181 and so on. After a while, I switched to Malta... I'd love writing Mauritius SG only once and just writing the catalogue number for each image.
- There is a % counter on the right-hand side at the page bottom. I could not make out what it was indicating, as it never went past the 20% mark. At first I thought I had not completed the process, now I wonder what it is about.

Whether or not you can address these comments, I will continue using the application as it already is a great improvement over my previous work process. Thanks for making it available.

Regards

Memphre
I'm also Memphre on Delcampe. Always about 15,000 items in my Delcampe store: stamps, postcards and postal history. See it here: www.delcampe.net/en_GB/collections/boutique/memphre
Badu
I was online for Post Number 6 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 6 MILLION!

Post by Badu »

Just wanted to say thanks. Awesome app.
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

Thanks for the comments Badu! I appreciate it.

Memphre - I'll try and address your comments...
When starting the application it looks for new versions and loads if any. A message saying «Loading new version XX.Y» rather than loading «Stamp Bursting..» would clearer.
This is outside of my control. It is using Java Webstart technology. This technology allows for the application to be "served" over the web without requiring separate installers and is operating system independent (only requiring a valid Java Virtual Machine). There is a small splash screen but my experience is this is only shown on Linux with the IcedTea plugin. The Java VM provided by Oracle does not show the image. Not sure about Apple OS. Also, technically speaking.... they are all the same version (but different builds). I am still versioning the software as Version 2.0. To see the exact build number you simple go to Help->About (and it is listed there)
I am somewhat baffled by the target folder selection process. There is a »Default Folder» process at the beginning but that only goes to the first folder level and does not seem useful. Then, when «Burst» is applied, the target folder selection is again activated. The first step does not dig far enough to find the target folder, one has to go to the «List» menu to find it. This is confusing and counter intuitive to a Mac user, though it works.
As it was designed, it was designed to burst into a designated folder structure. My Stamp Web Editor which is my enterprise Web application for managing my collection, assumes pictures are located in a folder named by the country. Originally the application only had the second tab "Connect to Services". I added the other tabs to support other users (ie. this user base - I have no reason/value for them). The values listed in these tabs are used to populate the drop-down selections you see on the second tab. While these "may" correspond to actual folders it is entirely possible a folder does not exist yet (but is in the drop-down). the software will automatically create the folder for you. An example might be, my target burst directory is P:\Stamps (I run Windows), but my when I connect to my stamp application I get the listing of available countries. This might include "South Africa - New Republic" which I haven't saved any images yet. This allows me to burst my images to P:\Stamps under a folder "South Africa - New Republic". Not sure if this is making sense or not. In the initial 2.0 release, a subfolder was REQUIRED. Several users requested to make the folder Optional and so I added a defect/enhancement to allow this (in their case they burst to a folder all the images with auto-generated names - for eBay or other auction sales). I did have a "Do not ask me again" checkbox on this session login dialog, but this means you need to be able to change it later (if you want). The problem here, is another bug which does not allow sessions to change due to a restrictions on the binding of the drop-downs. So until that defect is resolved I have hidden the checkbox and the "Change Session" menu option. That was a long answer, but hopefully I have showed how the target burst folder does not need to be related to the subFolder choices (or in my case Country names served from a web services interface).
A «DONE» message would be useful. I always go to the target folder to verify if the new images are there.
This is good feedback. I thought I did have a message that appeared in the lower left corner, but I just looked and sure enough I am not writing out at least a "Finished saving images." This is easy to correct and I have filed issue 39 to track this issue. I could show a dialog that provides a listing of the files saved (and may do this as well/in addition).
When renaming images, I find I save two sets of images, one set with the original names-numbers, one set with the new assigned names. Is the application set like this or is it something I do unknowingly?
Not sure I understand this. The application will save an image in the target burst folder (and optionally in the subfolder specified by the row's "Folder" drop-down) as the filename + extension (JPEG or PNG) specified. It only writes out one (there is an enhancement request to write a thumbnail out - I will be asking the thread questions about this before I start that work). So I don't know what you are referring to with multiple files being saved.
When renaming images I would save more time again if I were allowed to specify a root part to the names and to change that at will. Today, I was bursting two pages of Mauritius and Malta stamps and assigning image names based on SG numbers, such as Mauritius SG 123, then 181 and so on. After a while, I switched to Malta... I'd love writing Mauritius SG only once and just writing the catalogue number for each image.
Well this was part of the reasoning for the folder drop-down. Instead of naming the file "Mauritius SG123.jpg" it would be "Mauritius/SG123.jpg". The auto-generate naming functionality as is was only the first stab at this (and the format is not agreeable to many users - but came from the original requestor of the feature - I do not use it (although I do have tests for it)). I could see the prefix of "SG" or "Sc" as something that could be added at the time of save and perhaps instead of the folder being a subfolder it is concatenated to the name. This is an enhancement that I will add, but I do not see myself working on it in the next month.... I see the value (for example - for Egypt past 1919 I have to number them by Scott and use a "ScXXX" to differentiate them from the gibbons numbers (which I don't prefix).
There is a % counter on the right-hand side at the page bottom. I could not make out what it was indicating, as it never went past the 20% mark. At first I thought I had not completed the process, now I wonder what it is about.
If you mouse over it.... you should see something like "Memory Used 170MB, Memory Allocated 425MB, Total Memory 928MB" or something like that (I made that up based on your 20% number). One disadvantage of Java Webstart clients is even though they are 32bit Java, they are only able only to effectively access 928MB of memory. This is in part to prevent rouge clients from consuming all the memory on a system (in theory 32bit Java applications can access 2.0GB of heap but web start is limited to 928MB). Since we are limited to 928MB (wow... I remember my 640kb PC!) memory is a sensitive issue (if you run out of memory the program is dead). So I expose it to help track consumption of memory and it can help deal with issues reported by users. Overall, memory usage seems pretty decent and I believe I have eliminated most memory leaks over the past month. However I certainly have see it spike to high numbers doing the particle analysis. I am planning on trying to swap out the image component on the first step with an ImageJ panel to see if it can manage memory better, (for example even though you may only be showing the top 30% of the image, the entire image is loaded in memory pixel for pixel).

I know some of those answers were long, but hopefully that explains things a little more. Remember this application did everything I needed before I ever released it, so issues fixed and enhancements made have purely been made on my free time for the "love of the project and users!". While a few members have provided generous contributions, as my father says... "Don't quit your day job!" and I offer this application free for all users (even though I spend many hours a week providing responses, fixes and enhancements).

Cheers

Jason
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

All - I posted a survey/poll for thumbnail generation here. Wanted to let this thread know since many of you may be being notified on replies and I didn't want you to miss the opportunity to vote/provide you input!

-Jason
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

Wanted to announce the release of an update build which resolves the following defects:
  • Toolbar actions are not disabled while loading an image to avoid bounding
    box corruption.
  • Fixed the DELETE key deleting a bounding box when selected.
  • If the memory consumption is too high to perform bounding box calculations,
    the user will no longer see two dialogs (one indicating there are no
    bounding boxes and one about the memory consumption). Only the memory
    consumption will be shown.
As well, two new features (sponsored by a user here on the forum) have been introduced which may benefit you.
  • The first is the ability to specify a fixed size or a maximal size (by aspect ratio) for either the horizontal or vertical dimensions of the output image(s). I suppose in theory you could use this for thumbnail generation, however this is not its intent (I will handle thumbnails separately at the conclusion of the survey). I have uploaded a short Tutorial on this at the tutorial site http://code.google.com/p/stamp-imagebursting/wiki/Tutorial?ts=1328207677&updated=Tutorial. I apologize for the grainy audio. (Hint: This could also be a way to make sure your images are under 800x600 for stampboards.com postings. :-) )
  • The second is the ability to conjoin stamps. The purpose here is to attempt to generate a "presentation set" from a scan of stamps. Often while you can lay the stamps out nicely on a stocksheet, there can be significant gaps between the rows. This will effectively try and use the rows as the bounding boxes and create a composite image of the rows. This feature is accessible from the "Tools" menu by selecting the "Conjoin stamp rows as a set". Further, the output of the conjoining operation has options specified from the "Conjoining" tab of the Settings dialog (under the "Tools" menu). These options include the ability to simply conjoin the rows into a single image, keep the rows only or use the rows and a single image. Note: This feature is very new and while it is under test, if you manipulate the bounding boxes prior to bursting there may be unforeseen issues (please contact me at the EMail cited at http://www.drakeserver.com if you see issues.
The automated user-interface test count increased by 15% to cover all of these defects and new features. This should ensure that they continue to function in future builds (the DELETE key regressed when I added the short cuts for Quit/Exit and Open).

Cheers! I hope you all enjoy it!

-Jason
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

The latest submission has resolved a defect reported from one of the users where some JPEG images seemed to be more lossy (ie. fuzzy) than others. This was because a 75% compression ratio was being applied. The images will now save JPEG using 85% compression ratio (and this is configurable using the "JPEG Quality" setting from the Options panel (The Bursting Tab).

The update is on the server.

Cheers

-Jason
rolcora

Post by rolcora »

Thanks Jason, for developing such a wonderful bit of software, one which will no doubt be a great help to us poor souls who would like to digitally archive their collection. I would definitely love to get my hands on it as it will enable me easily split the images of my stamps that are neatly stored on Hagners into single entities for sale.

Keep up the good work and best wishes towards completion of a great piece of software.

Regards,
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

Rolcora - you may not be aware, but the software is available for use right now.

I have many users using it. You can access it here: http://www.drakeserver.com

Since it is a java webstart application, as I add features/updates/fixes you will automatically get them each time you launch the application.
I have essentially evolved this thread from a "I am writing/testing this application" to now referring to a change log of "recent changes being made" for those to be aware of new features or defects resolved - but it is ready for use and free to access.

Several dealers have provided contributions to help maintain the site it is hosted on along with providing further "enthusiasm" for developing features (like the sponsored "Conjoin" feature) - afterall it did what I needed in November... everything since has been added/fixed/built for the user community.

-Jason
rolcora

Post by rolcora »

jadrake wrote:Rolcora - you may not be aware, but the software is available for use right now.

I have many users using it. You can access it here: http://www.drakeserver.com
Thanks Jason... installed the software already and hope to start using it from tomorrow :D

Regards,
Roland
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

I have just posted an updated build on 2012-02-08 which cleans up a minor issue related to scaled images on save.
  • I am using a new third-party library for performing the scaling which produces a much cleaner output image. The algorithm used in prior builds could lead to a moire effect for stamps that had heavily dithered backgrounds (printed in photogravature?). The new algorithm will output a nice scaled image. This will only impact those who set the output size to a specific value / maximal value.
  • The zoom in/zoom out functions were replaced with a less fine quality algorithm by the same third-party library. This seems to have improved performance of zoom times and the images seem to be better too.
I have verified the server has the update and the application launches/updates correctly.

Enjoy

-Jason
MargoZ

Post by MargoZ »

Congratulations to Jadrake for winning the January 2012 Thread of the month

http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8100&start=900

This thread was nominated by multiple members and received wide praise.

Cheers
Margo
Please click link below to "Like" stampboards on FACEBOOK -
https://www.facebook.com/stampboards/
Lakatoi 4
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Location: First star on the right then straight on till morning ...

Post by Lakatoi 4 »

A well deserved win Jason and thanks for using Stampboards as your testing ground for this software. It has obvious mutual benefits for both you and our members :!:

As I said in a previous topic, once this is done can you use your skills to develop some software to allow watermarks to be more easily seen when scanned.

If you can, the philatelic world will beat a path to your door :idea:
Tony
"A cancelled stamp tells part of the story, a cover tells it all"
jadrake

Post by jadrake »

Thanks everyone for the votes in earning my cyan jewl!

Lakatoi - I'll email you offline about your thoughts. Perhaps late spring..... I have a backlog of stamp related items not software development related to catch up on.... I had to order 50 more Vario stock sheets yesterday... not because my collection is housed in them, but because this is my "staging" point before they get put into albums (in unordered chaos) and my current binder is full (not to mention the red box with who knows what in it)

I did write an album page generator (takes an XML input file and outputs PDF like this) - I give Album Easy credit on this one though.... the concept was there, but didn't match my configuration/album styles - so I cranked out this over a weekend a few weeks ago (manually printed 40+ pages last night).

I plan to start the thumbnail capability later this weekend (I will summarize my decision here). Also I think I need to provide at least one other auto-generate filename format. Does anyone have a suggestion on the generation name?

I created an issue for the ability to add a prefix to the filename as requested by a member with defect 45. Does anyone have an opinion on whether this prefix should apply on a row by row basis (ie. need to provide it separately per stamp) or should it apply for a burst session? (ie. add it near where the drop-down folder selection is).

-Jason
noernberg

Post by noernberg »

Hi Jason. I was one who voted for the filename prefix when I saw the suggestion on your log. For my particular application, I would like it to do a defined filename prefix per burst session, and a user-definable number suffix to auto-increment from (with a default of "01"). So for instance, you could program the filename prefix to be "group1-", then have another (optional) numeric field start with "01", then it would number the files group1-01.jpg, group1-02.jpg, etc. Say you got 35 stamps on the first scan (burst session), then you can do your second scan with "group1-" and start the count over at "36" and pick up where you left off.

Since the numeric field would be optional, if you left it blank, it would just do the prefix and let the user type in whatever suffix they wanted for each image filename.

That would be a sweet timesaver. Maybe others could explain how they would use it, and perhaps there could be a common streamlined solution?
deerlandstamps

Post by deerlandstamps »

The "auto-increment" feature mentioned above would be very useful, I agree... as long as both it and/or the prefix could be made optional on a burst-by-burst basis with a simple check box or something.

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”