Philip Ryle/Ryall endless ebay accounts selling fakes & regums

A venue to discuss unusual and interesting items being offered. Report and discuss fakes, forgeries, scammers and con-men. Also fee discussion, and low listing fee promos etc. Discuss feedback. Great items for sale. New policies ..... whatever YOU want!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

woodster
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Philip Ryle/Ryall endless ebay accounts selling fakes & regums

Post by woodster »

Hi all,

My apologies in advance if I am completely off the beaten track here but something very unusual I have noticed regarding the selling activity of 2 Ebay US sellers: emmastamps and marys-gems

The reason for my curiosity is as follows:

1. They appear to have the same 'style' of heading for an items listing
2. They also have the same glamorous photo of some dill who is clearly not the seller
3. If you have a look at their histirical sales via their feedback, you will notice that they both sell very high value items with start price of 0.99c and only a 3 day listing.

For example, I nearly fell off my chair with one of mary-gems sales where she was selling a massive collection of MUH roos with a CV of $54,000+ and it actually sold for $11,000.

This in itself is not so unusual however again this was a 3 day listing with a start price of 0.99c :!:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220558709028

Unfortunately the photos from this listing have been removed.

They have blocked Overseas bidders from bidding which also strikes me as odd - I would have thought here in Oz we would be one of the better places to post to.

Does anyone else think there is something not quite right with the above sellers.

With the volume of sales going through, can Ebay be used as a money laundering conduit?
woodster

Re: I smell a rat....Odd Ebay US listings - Emmastamps etc...

Post by woodster »

and this one from emmastamps:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280460893490

I mean who in their right mind would list this up for 1 day with a start price of 0.99c

Given her 'about me' page claims he/she is well versed in the stamp world with a network
of collectors, I would have thought this person would be well versed as to what an item like this
could fetch in the real auction world.

Have a look at similar roo sales around the same time and all short listings with 0.99c start prices.

Oddly I note her current sales are for longer durations.
aethelwulf
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by aethelwulf »

Checking the feedback history, seems to be a lot of different buyers there...so maybe legit...

But the 3-day auction, not the wisest move...auction houses typically allow weeks of lead time to publicize sales, give buyers time to peruse the catalogue and all...true, eBay works on a 7-10 day system, but what if potential buyers don't happen to login during that brief 3 day period you list items?

Furthermore its not like the they're listing up mass market products such as 'Roos or Prexies...their current listings are mostly Victorian-era St Helena and Zululand...
Collecting Mongolia; Thailand; Indo-China; Mourning Covers; OHMS.
fromdownunder
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Post by fromdownunder »

If an ebay dealer had a list of customers who have a proven track record in specific areas, it is entirely possible that a 24 hour listing, followed immediately by an email to known customers of, say, high value Roos, could enlist a "bidding frenzy" (after all, they only have 24 hours, and they really WANT the item), as well as one or more very high snipes, and thus reach an even higher price than normal.

For an example, the winning bid on the 2 Pound Roo was by 5***n and was his/her only bid on the lot, invoked 4 seconds before it closed. Obviously a snipe.

Norm
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in Vain
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

woodster wrote:and this one from emmastamps:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280460893490

I mean who in their right mind would list this up for 1 day with a start price of 0.99c

Given her 'about me' page claims he/she is well versed in the stamp world with a network
of collectors, I would have thought this person would be well versed as to what an item like this
could fetch in the real auction world.

Have a look at similar roo sales around the same time and all short listings with 0.99c start prices.

Oddly I note her current sales are for longer durations.
Folks for the THOUSANDTH time load up images here saved in YOUR PhotoBucket.

A day after sale no image on ebay so this thread is now largely meaningless. :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted:

Anyone unknown in the stamp world, selling an allegedly UNHINGED £2 roo on a 1 day ebay sale is selling a re-gum, all my hunches tell me.

26 bids took it up to - US $6,845.50 - so the clueless ebay greed seeking Bunnies are all out there -- alive and well it seems. And getting taken to the cleaners little doubt in my mind when I offer them under half that one day, if it is regummed.

Australia Kangaroo SG114 (Scott 102) 1929-30 £2 OG NH
woodster

Post by woodster »

I have these 2 under close watch and will save images in future before the listing ends.
Unfortunately when i was checking feedback history recently the images were already deleted.

As for the listing for 1 or 3 days, I just cant buy the argument of a mail out going to premium clients
advising of an auction to be held at a specific day/time. Way too much to lose if the right buyers are
not logged on at the right time.

And what happens if that £2 Roo only realises $1,000 - does the buyer and seller agree to dissolve
the sale for the item to be relisted?
Allanswood

Re: I smell a rat....Odd Ebay US listings - Emmastamps etc..

Post by Allanswood »

woodster wrote: For example, I nearly fell off my chair with one of mary-gems sales where she was selling a massive collection of MUH roos with a CV of $54,000+ and it actually sold for $11,000.

Unfortunately the photos from this listing have been removed.

They have blocked Overseas bidders from bidding which also strikes me as odd - I would have thought here in Oz we would be one of the better places to post to.
OK Ive also tagged a few to watch as she lists some nice stamps at the moment.

Who on Earth would bid $11,000 on photos - unless they really trust her?

The auction only ended what 2 weeks ago and the photos have been removed? That's not right, how does the buyer even track his purchases and offer feedback in that short time frame? I see photos months later - some are still there from a year ago. (Does ebay remove them? As I see no reason at all to take them off.)

Somehow people have a lookout for her offerings and jump on them. I think the descriptions are too complete to not be a bit legit, otherwise I would have said money laundering as well.

As to the you cant bid from Australia - I dont see why not as I just did!
How do you mean you cant bid international? I can - just check the drop down mailing box! Its even free post to Australia!

How much is an die II inverted wmk 5/ roo worth? I didnt know they came MUH. My old ACSC notes MH only at $900 (10 years ago).

edit - sorry, pickies added in before I get "the gun!"

Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"
woodster

Post by woodster »

Just had a look at marys-gems and forgive me for not posting scans but she has MANY items finishing in over a day.

I urge whoever can to check it out - its unbelievable!

Many of them MUH roos with start prices of 0.99c ; 3 day listings and the whole lot finishing virtually at the same time.
They have 5/- MUH bridges; 5 and 10/- mint roos ; massive selection of KGV and the whole lot finishes within 2 hours.

I dont know what it is going on but one thing I can tell you is this is not a legit ebay auction where
a dealer (or stupid collector) is casually listing items as an alternative selling medium.

Definately something suspicious going on!

Seems like some sort of secret stamp society and I feel a bit left out that I havent been included in the targeted advertising campaign promoting this upcoming feeding frenzy.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Allanswood wrote:
The auction only ended what 2 weeks ago and the photos have been removed? That's not right, how does the buyer even track his purchases and offer feedback in that short time frame? I see photos months later - some are still there from a year ago. (Does ebay remove them? As I see no reason at all to take them off.)
2 weeks? BOTH sellers seem to have pics vanish a DAY after sale .. most suspicious.

A MLH 5/- Inverted is about $2000 -- more like $5000.

These sales are 110% suss I'd say.

Hopefully somenoe can load some scans .. long drive to Canberra for me in a few hours. :twisted:
norvic

Post by norvic »

Global Administrator wrote:BOTH sellers seem to have pics vanish a DAY after sale .. most suspicious.
It is suspicious, but to answer an early question it is not eBay that takes them down.

I know a regular seller in S Africa who used to take her images down quite soon after sale simply to save space - she also doesn't put any description but that's a different matter.

Of course there are plenty of places to get free hosting but at the time I am writing about, that was what she did. I trust her completely, but I still captured all the images of items I bid on, just to make sure that there were no mistakes or omissions.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - Remember almost everything I picture is available, unless otherwise stated or copied from elsewhere, as I reduce a roomful of 'stuff' - just ask. GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site
aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

fromdownunder wrote:If an ebay dealer had a list of customers who have a proven track record in specific areas, it is entirely possible that a 24 hour listing, followed immediately by an email to known customers of, say, high value Roos, could enlist a "bidding frenzy" (after all, they only have 24 hours, and they really WANT the item), as well as one or more very high snipes, and thus reach an even higher price than normal.
I'd agree with others that if you list things up for only a day, relying on your (e)mailing list of past customers, you're limiting yourself. 1) the regular/previous buyers might not be online at the moment you list items; 2) you're cutting into the potential timeframe to find new customers. A good friend of mine works in PR for an auction house, and he says they work themselves to death every sale season promoting the sales.

Lots of different buyers on these items, so not money-laundering, but maybe something else going on? Fencing stolen goods? Not a clueless person who boosted a car and discovered a briefcase of stamps in the boot, they know what they're talking about in listings.

Maybe put in a couple bids for a few dollars, and see what turns up in the post...if you use Paypal you can always file a claim, no harm no loss in the end.
PeterS

Post by PeterS »

I notice that all the images on Marys-Gems items are hosted on http://www.ukphilatelics.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Seems highly suspicious.
Peter
Hawthorn - AFL Premiers 1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015
gregbear61
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by gregbear61 »

It is rather unusual. Reasonable to assume Marys-Gems and Emmastamps are the same person.

Mary-Gems listings state the items are being sold out of the US, yet the seller is UK based.

Glamour photos are unusual. Reminds one of those Nigerian dating scams one sees in the media every now and again - the pretty blonde that requests money turns out to be a black Nigerian guy.

Marys-Gems had the big sale a few weeks ago. There was a MUH £2 Roo specimen that was described as SMW but was clearly CofA. The same thing was happening this time around but no way of knowing if it's same stamp, I saw it last night but I look now and it's gone. It could just be someone pointing it out and it being taken down, but it realised $500+ last time and the buyer would have been grumpy to get a CofA, so it would have been a lesson learnt by the seller?

One high value stamp last time round was clearly a reperf but most looked ok. The back scans don't really seem crisp enough to tell whether they are regummed. The descriptions are very lean, no mention of faults where the stamps have rough or blunt perfs. Though in balance praise isn't heaped on the better ones either.

So, it's a gamble. It would take some time to put these together and it's unusual to drop them all onto eBay to turn them into quick cash, what's a few months wait to get much more at auction?
gregbear61

Re: Odd and suspicious eBay U.S. listings - Emmastamps & others

Post by gregbear61 »

I can confirm this person is selling regums.

I purchased a MUH 2nd wmk roo off them back in February for a few hundred $ prior to the recent round of high value roo sales of mid-March. I had doubts about it and sent it off to Status Stamps for a second opinion.

They confirmed it was regummed a couple of days after the recent sales ended. The item was returned for a full refund via a paypal claim, and was settled in my favour. The seller did not communicate at any point after a refund was requested and just let it run through the paypal claims process without any input or protest.

The regums were better than many, and were commented on as such by Status. There were no gluggy paper fibres from regum glue on the perf tips as is often seen and the perf tips were much as would be seen on roos with original gum.

The gum texture was wrong however, with the gum looking much more contemporary, like the gum on the back of a 1960's navigator perhaps. The gum colour was bright white and as would be expected very fresh looking.

It would probably fool many collectors content to take it on face value. Status passed it around to three of their describers who all picked it as a regum promptly and independently.

Looking back at the seller's sales history, they have sold several hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of stamps over the past few months so have a serious operation going. They sell GB and Cwth, and recently sold some 300+ lots from Gibraltar.

They mail out very quickly so one would suspect more than one person is involved. They are based in Bristol UK. It would not surprise if most of their recent big ticket MNH items were regums.

Their has been no feedback left from those who purchased the high value MNH roos from the mid-March sale, so perhaps those items have been disputed.

In any event, Glen's instincts were spot on with his regum comments.

Quite likely this is a very dangerous seller. They are playing the ebay game perfectly with 100% feedback, quick delivery etc to put up a convincing front.

AVOID!
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: Odd and suspicious eBay U.S. listings - Emmastamps & oth

Guaranteed to be regumming .. the top few dozen items are all allegedly "MUH".

This material is NEVER found thus.
AIA
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by AIA »

Apart from emmastamps and marys-gems try golden-hoarde and philatelicexpress - also the same people.

It was I believe the much missed Highlander whom originally brought this outfit to the attention of this board.

They are proffesional schill bidders whom continue to tweak their well evolved technique/system. There approach includes a no fuss no quibble returns policy as standard perhaps in their mind keeping the operation a low-level crime not attracting too much attention.

Bristol or nearby Western Super Mare UK is their base. Terribly well spoken they do buy a little from the auction houses for too much [it has been noticed], but win most of their own items anyway if no-one is hooked.

They are well known amongst the UK - GB Edward Seven fraternity as this is one of their niche markets unfortunately. The descriptions tend to be generic due to a lack of speciailisation/understanding.

This regum thing seems to be a growing concern now. I recently spoke to a very knowledgable third party at lunch whom recently told one of his customers had been conned for many thousands - HV regums.

Personally I am not sure if they are directly involved in the regumming or just through ignorance sell it on - either way I doubt if they care.

Various active people over a period have complained about them on eBay UK - of course to not avail.
Interest in the shades of GB EDVII & GEOV & Indian Philately
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

AIA wrote:
Various active people over a period have complained about them on eBay UK - of course to not avail.
Report these apparent crooks FAST via this link below

ebay in the PAST did not really want to know, and even paypal did not really want to know it seems. ebay and paypal make money EVERY time a sale occurs. Whether the stamps are fake or not is not of any interest whatever to them.

What DOES interest them is refunding money via paypal under the much touted Buyer Guarantee. This crook has already potentially cost ebay many $1,000s in refunds for regums etc if these handles vanish.

Because of this, ebay now have set up a fast new portal to report suspected sellers of forged stamps at - http://www.tinyurl.com/ebayfakes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - there is space for 10,000 characters in your reply, so all the relevant info can be added. Unlike most ebay complaint forms that allow 100 characters etc. :twisted:

Inaction will mean that ebay is seen more and more by those in the stamp buying community as a totally unsafe and unwise place to buy stamps, costing ebay even more revenue as buyers go to other sites and mainstream dealers who offer a guarantee of genuineness - AND that the goods exist and WILL arrive.

If you see a new ebay seller pop up listing this type of thing, start a new thread below and other members can offer their views. :lol:
AIA

Post by AIA »

Of course there are a select few whom buy from them then cherry pick the better shades and send the remainder back for various semi-legit reasons, thus making from them.
Interest in the shades of GB EDVII & GEOV & Indian Philately
gregbear61

Post by gregbear61 »

I sent in a report myself a couple of weeks back. No action in response yet.

The return address was 18 Glenwood Rd. Westbury-on-Trim, Bristol if that happens to match up with any known address for other mentioned handles. Google maps showed it to be a tidy little duplex in a street of same.
woodster

Post by woodster »

Good work Gregbear.

I was trying to bid with my Ebay handle however they wouldn't let me bid (probably as a result of previously picking up 'bad items').

I just knew they were crooks given the style of their auctions.

On a more general note, Ebay has opened up many more doors in the field of collecting however it is a dangerous playground for the unwary.

I note that Ace_collectables is trading happier than ever and seems to have had his negative feedback wiped from Ebay so he is back to 100%.

I am also suspicious about the practices of Karl Marquis Philately as his auctions are riddled with obvious Shill Bidding and he does not disclose faults in stamps etc...I would suggest that why he left Ebay so the shill bidding could not be picked up.

Mitch West from the UK alerted me to the fact that Karl was involved in a software engineering company so it doesn't take Einstein to work out he has "doctored" his own auction software.

I think for me that's it and I am sticking to buying my items from reputable dealers directly from their own order form.
woodster

Post by woodster »

*Stop Press*

I just had a useful conversation with Karl regarding my above remarks
and I am happy there is no untoward activity on his site.

Sorry about those comments above and will focus my attention on
the real crooks in this industry.
gregbear61

Post by gregbear61 »

marys-gems is back with the usual offering of high value roos in MNH condition.

https://shop.ebay.com/marys-gems/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some were offered in their last round of sales, like this item - a 2nd Watermark 5s watermark inverted Roo which appears earlier in the thread. The stamps are identical although the perfs look a bit fluffier on the latest version.

https://cgi.ebay.com/Australia-SG30w-Scott-44-1915-28-5s-Die-II-OGNH-/220604189095" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The previous version:

So the buyer wised up, or it was a shill.

There's a 5/- Bridge which was also offered last time around which had a distinctive thin on a corner perf. Possibly a few more re-offerings which have been cleverly bundled up into authentic looking "old dealer stock" from 1997. If you believe a dealer couldn't sell two dozen MNH Roos in 13 years?

The one item I bought from them a few months ago was a regum, and was returned via paypal dispute. Communication ceased once a refund was requested. I left negative feedback which they had wiped hours later.

One seller to avoid.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Greg well spotted -- both 5/- are identical but scanned on different scanners, one with a sharpen button .. but perfs and centering and Roo placement are IDENTICAL.

Report them folks .. this is shill bidding on VERY expensive material.
woodster

Post by woodster »

looking at the items for sale quite clearly a scammer with an army of shill bidders
on hand to protect the sale price.

Who would ever dream of selling a perfectly centred 1st W/M £2 Roo in MHN condition
with a start price of 0.99c and a 5 day only listing on Ebay!
The Pom
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by The Pom »

marys-gems sales for the last 90 days: £158,187.17

There were MUH Roos up to £2 1st wmk today (US$11,580)

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220604188712&category=23851

I didn't look too closely, but the 5/- Bridge with the thin corner perf mentioned above was there twice 200471419095 & 220569185803

220569182595 and 200471418751 = same stamp

190379297156 and 190396157551 = same stamp
Always on the lookout for Australian pre decimal First Day Covers.
gregbear61

Post by gregbear61 »

There was certainly one active shill b***l (52) which won a couple of lots, and scored a few seconds.

They would be disappointed with some of the MNH roo realisations which by and large didn't reach the level of previous sales.
PeterS

Post by PeterS »

The Pom wrote:marys-gems sales for the last 90 days: £158,187.17

There were MUH Roos up to £2 1st wmk today (US$11,580)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220604188712&category=23851

I didn't look too closely, but the 5/- Bridge with the thin corner perf mentioned above was there twice 200471419095 & 220569185803

220569182595 and 200471418751 = same stamp

190379297156 and 190396157551 = same stamp
eBay made a substantial amount of money it seems.
Peter
Hawthorn - AFL Premiers 1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015
clemo

Post by clemo »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220558709028

The above item (a heap of Roos that sold for $11,625) noticed by woodster, was sold to ebay person puva949147.

Checking his feedback over the past year he has had about 40 transactions with marys-gems, and a few with emmas. Must have spent heaps with mary.

Don't know how to get info on puva so will leave it for any interested person.
ozstamps
PLATINUM Shooting Star *10,000* Posts!
PLATINUM Shooting Star  *10,000* Posts!

Post by ozstamps »

woodster wrote:
Who would ever dream of selling a perfectly centred 1st W/M £2 Roo in MHN condition
with a start price of 0.99c and a 5 day only listing on Ebay!
Someone who knew it was re-gummed is the first answer that comes into my suspicious mind. :lol: :lol:

So some bunny with FAR more money than sense has paid around $A12,000 for a £2 Roo stamp I'll BET would be deemed as REGUMMED by me, or other competent experts, if we inspected it.

PLEASE email these Bunnies when feedback appears, who paid these insane prices for things with no independent gum verification, and urge them to have someone competent looks at their "bargains".

There is often a 300% difference between Hinged and unhinged in this area. Good re-gumming costs about $5-$10, so regummer's can make several $1000s as long as they can find a BUNNY.

And ebay is the home of the largest Rabbit Warren on earth. As we have shown 100 times on this board. :roll:

Please send all bidders of "OGNH" oldies from that seller marys-gems, this thread link to read up on -

https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=17774

And they may then choose to return the stamps FAST, and claim a paypal refund, and save themselves near $10,000 in some cases, if experts agree their "Ebay Bargain" is simply a hinged stamp that has been regummed to look like "OGNH".

And hopefully donate $1000 of that saving to charity, as thanks for our input - I'd suggest the most applicable charity for these clueless folks to support is - "Guide Dogs For The Blind".

If this £2 Roo was bought by anyone as "MUH original gum" they are complete fools in my view. It SCREAMS "REGUM" to me. :idea:

This scam is direct from the ebay listing - it is not touched by me in any way.

If these same stamps have been sold in the past to shill bidders, (as reports above seem to indicate) or perhaps have been returned for refund from Bunnies who have worked out they are re-gummed, why on earth does a new army of Bunnies KEEP on bidding silly money for them?
https://completed.shop.ebay.com.au/marys-gems/m.html?V4SOI&_t ... I=&guest=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(Click link above for a working list of around the largest Rabbit Warren on earth!)

There is a ton of 1860s Ceylon on there, that these cretins have bid up to £500+ each, all described as "MUH" of course. :shock: :shock:
aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

I clicked on one of "mary"'s listings, and this was in the banner at the top of the description area:

Looks more like something from a Russian dating agency than a stamp dealer handling 150,000 Pounds of material in 3 months...
GlenStephens

Post by GlenStephens »

aethelwulf wrote:
Looks more like something from a Russian dating agency than a stamp dealer handling 150,000 Pounds of material in 3 months...
Well ... they both make their money from sucker Bunnies .....................
woodster

Re: Odd and suspicious eBay listings - Emmastamps & marys-gems

Post by woodster »

sorry to offend anyone however I have to admit that is a very fine choice
of pics to use.......anyway, where were we with that stamp discussion...
erich

Post by erich »

You never see that Ceylon material MNH.
aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

erich wrote:You never see that Ceylon material MNH.
To get Victorian-era MNH/UM, would require:

1) stamps were tucked between the pages of a book and forgotten about then only discovered years later -- and how often does that happen?

or

2) you have a pair/strip/block, where only some of the stamps were hinged, leaving a UM companion...but who nowadays would split up a multiple, its obviously worth more that way than the separated sum of its parts.

When did our familiar black mounts come into being? 1960s?

I've bought some old collections that had stamps in early incarnations of hingeless mounts, and they're nightmare things (the mounts). Sometimes the plastic degrades and discolours the stamp, or the item is encapsulated inside and you need to cut the mount open.
erich

Post by erich »

Yes, early Hingeless mounts (and "Crystal Mounts" which I think you can still get) are an abomination.
aethelwulf wrote:
erich wrote:You never see that Ceylon material MNH.
To get Victorian-era MNH/UM, would require:

1) stamps were tucked between the pages of a book and forgotten about then only discovered years later -- and how often does that happen?

or

2) you have a pair/strip/block, where only some of the stamps were hinged, leaving a UM companion...but who nowadays would split up a multiple, its obviously worth more that way than the separated sum of its parts.

When did our familiar black mounts come into being? 1960s?

I've bought some old collections that had stamps in early incarnations of hingeless mounts, and they're nightmare things (the mounts). Sometimes the plastic degrades and discolours the stamp, or the item is encapsulated inside and you need to cut the mount open.
dwhopper
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by dwhopper »

The two listing thing is an issue. I have noticed that David Allen Philatelic (david_allen_philatelics) lists the same items on two eBay sites. When I asked his response was one of "List on both UK and Australia so everybody an see it". I never bothered to ask how he sorts out the winner when two different bidders win the same stamp from two different sites. Life is too short to chase all the idiots.

For example right now 120558730437 and 350342731601. No images since the stamp is not the question, just the questionable business practice. Do a search on david_allen_philatelics and then Australia and virtually everything is listed twice.
aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

Maybe it was mentioned/answered earlier in the thread, but do Emmastamps and marys-gems bid on each others items (in other words, blatant shilling?) Since you started the thread by pointing out that their headings and style of presentation were similar...

Operating 2 eBay accounts is not, ipso facto, a crime is it, if you use them to legitimately buy & sell. They might share the same eventual controller or beneficiary, but it could be argued that they're like separate divisions of a single corporation. On the other hand, if they're bidding on each other's material to boost prices, that's another matter...

Of course thats an issue happening in a separate ring of the circus from the centre ring, the matter of selling blatant regums... :roll:
Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

How hard would it be to set up 1 account in Europe and 1 account in the USA then bid on each others ficticious stamps and send money to and fro (real or not real money for real or not real stamps) and professionally cook a few books or shift a bit of funny money here and there? :?: :shock:

Sorry long question, actually short and surprising answer.

That's an awful lot of highly valuable stamps that seem to be readily available (and in a constant supply) to just 2 ebay auction houses dont you think?! :shock:

How to avoid the shill bid accustation? register 5 bidders for each others auctions and multiple cross bid. No one will check that 5 bidders are all shills or fakes. Then change the fake bidders every 3 months to avoid tracking.

Not rocket science and doing it with stamps seems easy as only experts will question the values of sold stamps. There is no fixed retail. :(

I think the best of Mary's gems are clearly visible in the photo!
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"
woodster

Post by woodster »

ok.

Just received some updated information about this mob.

Their business email address is : http://www.arcadiangroup.eu

Source informs me they have returned 10 regums already!!!
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

woodster wrote:
OK.

Just received some updated information about this mob.

Their business email address is : http://www.arcadiangroup.eu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Source informs me they have returned 10 regums already!!!
Well as feedback starts to appear, if members here contact the Bunny Buyers, he'll get a lot more than 10 returned re-gums methinks!

Please send all bidders of "OGNH" oldies from that seller marys-gems, this thread link to read up on -

http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=17774

And they may then choose to return the stamps FAST, and claim a paypal refund, and save themselves near $10,000 in some cases, if experts agree their "Ebay Bargain" is simply a hinged stamp that has been regummed to look like "OGNH".

And hopefully donate $1000 of that saving to charity, as thanks for our input - I'd suggest the most applicable charity for these clueless folks to support is - "Guide Dogs For The Blind".

Glen
gregbear61

Post by gregbear61 »

Mary is back again with the usual range of high value roos MNH.

The 2 pound 1st wmk Roo MNH is back as "the buyer failed to perform"

I emailed the Australian based buyer of a dodgy MNH 5/- Bridge but no reply as yet.
aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

gregbear61 wrote:The 2 pound 1st wmk Roo MNH is back as "the buyer failed to perform"
How could a 'buyer' fail to perform when 'Mary' looks like that? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
woodster

Post by woodster »

aethelwulf wrote:
gregbear61 wrote:The 2 pound 1st wmk Roo MNH is back as "the buyer failed to perform"
How could a 'buyer' fail to perform when 'Mary' looks like that? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

good point

The first lot this crook has up for auction is a collection of MNH roos.

I find it hard to spot regums but can any of the experts here tell from
the scans whether they are regums?
Stampdog

Re: Odd and suspicious eBay listin

Post by Stampdog »

aethelwulf wrote:I clicked on one of "mary"'s listings, and this was in the banner at the top of the description area:

https://members.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=regency-auctions

Another seller regency-stamps features the wholesome "emma" and a remarkably similar MO to "Mary". Are they perhaps related?
CyprusStamps
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by CyprusStamps »

Here at Cyprus Stamps (beautiful Mediterranean island) we are somewhat concerned with your obsession with us glamorous lady sellers.

Anyway enough of this frippery, I've got dinner to get ready in time for the old man returning from the coffee shop. Best get my teeth in or else I'll never eat these greens!

Best regards (a serious seller) Michele, Cyprus Stamps.

kalineektasas
Michele in sunny Cyprus!
A purveyor of fine Cyprus stamps, covers and postal history items from Aphrodite's island of love.
Catweazle
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Re: Odd and suspicious eBay U.S. l

Post by Catweazle »

aethelwulf wrote:I clicked on one of "mary"'s listings, and this was in the banner at the top of the description area:

Looks like the work of the KGB: Russian ladies and lots of money!
woodster

Post by woodster »

I think you will find "regency-stamps" is actually Emmastamps
under another name
Catweazle

Re: Odd and suspicious eBay listin

Post by Catweazle »

Maybe it's just me but if you go to Mary's ebay listings: http://shop.ebay.com/marys-gems/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340 and click refresh about 10 times (wait for the page to load completely first each time, and take notice of the 2 items at the top too).

They keep changing, not necessarily the items themselves but the number of bids and the price? :?
gregbear61

Post by gregbear61 »

Just saw this on Marys Gems (regummer of high value roos) Ebay About Me page

I have decided to cease listing on eBay for the time being as I have been receiving threatening messages and obscene phone calls from an apparent competitor and his accomplice(s). Some of my buyers have also been given false information about me and others have been sent fraudulent Second Chance Offers. The individuals are being investigated and once measures have been taken, service will resume!

May I take this opportunity to apologize and to thank all my regular eBay trading partners for their patience and understanding.

So much trouble coming Mary's way!

At least we can expect a new profile and glamour pic shortly...

Another dodgy seller shut down by stampboarders?
aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

gregbear61 wrote:Just saw this on Marys Gems (regummer of high value roos) Ebay About Me page

I have decided to cease listing on eBay for the time being as I have been receiving threatening messages and obscene phone calls

On Norm's "Dreamers" thread, there was the owner of a pizza shop who had a $20 kid's collection up for sale at $400,000. He said "if you want to view this in person, I'll have to hire security to standby during your visit in case you rob me"...and now dear old Triple-D Mary is getting threats...we should all give up stamp dealing and switch to something safe like gun-running. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Return to “All Online Stamp Auction related discussion and overview”