My King George VI British Commonwealth Stamp Collection

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

amfhf1
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

My King George VI British Commonwealth Stamp Collection

Post by amfhf1 »

A few comments to begin with:

I have been collecting King George VI stamps since the mid eighties, sometimes with more money, sometimes with less.

It is not complete or full of MNH material.

In fact many sets have both used and mint to complete it, and that might not be the best.

It has however given me a great deal of pleasure getting it to where it is today.

I wanted to share with you all a bit at a time my collection.

I also wanted to give myself a long term project for Stampboards and decided on this.

Any comments are appreciated and encouraged.

To begin we have Aden S.G. 1-12 with a recognised colour variety of the 5 rupee and S.G. 13-15.

With a selection of used as well.

amfhf1

Re: My King George VI British Commonwealth Collection

Post by amfhf1 »

Here is Aden S.G. 1-9 on cover.

With an Aden Camp 13th May 1937 CDS.

With a destination of Nakura Kenya.

Yes I have been tempted by covers of King George VI as well.

amfhf1

Post by amfhf1 »

Aden S.G. 16-35

amfhf1

Post by amfhf1 »

Aden S.G. 36-46.

amfhf1

Post by amfhf1 »

Aden Protectorate Kathiri State Of Seiyun S.G. 1-19

madbaker
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by madbaker »

Thanks for sharing your collection. I have a small stockbook of KGVI issues that I haven't really added to for several years. But I often think that would be a nice scope to focus on.

Looking forward to more scans!

Mark

Lakatoi 4
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Location: First star on the right then straight on till morning ...

Post by Lakatoi 4 »

Good idea for a topic :D

KGVI is my collecting stopping point and for good reason. The design and engraving on the stamp issues of that period were up with the very best ever.

There are a number of early QEII issues like that but nowhere near the overall quality.

Always an idea to include covers as well in a collection. Having examples of real, in period usage, is often overlooked.

I maintain that it isn't a real collection without those :!:
Tony
"A cancelled stamp tells part of the story, a cover tells it all"

bathurst stamper
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by bathurst stamper »

It's also worth noting that many of the KG6 designs were already in use during the latter part of the reign of KGV.

This very thing was bemoaned in the late 1930s - just shows how stamp collecting tastes are in a constant state of evolution :D

Cheers,

Robert
No longer in Bathurst, but too good a double pun to request a name change.

pookie9121

Post by pookie9121 »

Great collection. Looking forward to seeing more scans. :D

Cheers,
Erik
Enjoy every minute

greidp
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Post by greidp »

I really like the Aden stamps. I have been gradually adding to my Commonwealth collection and every time I start a new country, I try to get the KGVI issues first. The engraving is so good and many of the sets are still affordable. Maybe I will post a couple of sets later - am not home at the moment.

Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

Totally agree :D
The stamps of this period are beautiful and lovely examples of engraving and design, acredit to the stamp makers art. The good thing too, is that they are still mostly affordable, with top values of the basic sets (Avoiding blitz perfs and rare colour combinations and errors) are quite pricey (Usually $10 -$75) but not completely unaffordable.
I have half or so of these sets, but my favourite is Malta (Okay a bit bias, but trust me, its a beautiful set), Cyprus, Gibraltar, St Lucia, Grenada, Fiji, Jamaica all have lovely sets too. And the one or two design simplicity of the Sierra Leone, Gambia and Swaziland is attractive too. The photogravure of the Seychelles set and the later Mauritius set (1950) is also catchy.
Not surprisingly I am a big fan of the early (1953 - 1962)sets of Elizabeth and the less affordable but very nice pictorial sets of George V (1930 -1936 period), examples, Bermuda, Basutoland, Ceylon, St Helena, Sierra Leone 1933 Slavery set and the 1935 St Lucia set. Often as you all know, many of these designs were recycled for George VI. One of the very best of these sets has to be the Cayman Islands set of 1934, that is pure art.

greidp

Post by greidp »

Hi Princestamps
You piqued my interest in the KGV Cayman Islands set (I assume SG96-107) and I agree these are lovely stamps. Just checked eBay and one set is about to sell north of Cdn $275. There is another listed at $427 although several hinged sets can be purchased at around the $200 level, maybe a little less. This seems very high to me, so I wonder if Cayman Islands has more popularity than some of the other islands. I recently bought the later KGVI issue but I also noticed that most of the complete sets including even the QEII sets seem higher priced than some other colonies.

moonstone
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by moonstone »

The new (2013) SG Part 1 gives a catalogue price of £200 for the set so some of these prices seem more than a bit excessive, unless in never hinged condition
'Never eat the yellow snow'

SMSSLT
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by SMSSLT »

greidp wrote:Hi Princestamps
You piqued my interest in the KGV Cayman Islands set (I assume SG96-107) and I agree these are lovely stamps. Just checked eBay and one set is about to sell north of Cdn $275. There is another listed at $427 although several hinged sets can be purchased at around the $200 level, maybe a little less. This seems very high to me, so I wonder if Cayman Islands has more popularity than some of the other islands. I recently bought the later KGVI issue but I also noticed that most of the complete sets including even the QEII sets seem higher priced than some other colonies.
As a Cayman collector I've often wondered as well about the pricing. My conjecture has always been that the Cayman Islands are a popular destination for the US tourist market and that there maybe more interest from US collectors. And yes, as Moonstone points out, those prices do seem on the high side.

moonstone

Post by moonstone »

'As a Cayman collector I've often wondered as well about the pricing. My conjecture has always been that the Cayman Islands are a popular destination for the US tourist market and that there maybe more interest from US collectors. And yes, as Moonstone points out, those prices do seem on the high side'

I reckon you are spot on here - I've sold a lot of Caymans material on eBay & Delcampe over the years, and the vast majority has gone to the US market - older GV - GVI, particluarly fine used can get a decent price, and the newer material is always bought up on the thematic market

Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

I did notice that, the George V set of 1934 and the 1932 Centenary set have very high pries for the values above 1/-. So I am playing the poor guy here, I just have the 35s and Centenary's up to the 3d and the George VI up to 1/-, but the later QE2 sets (First one and Annigoni portrait complete less the pound).
Like I said in my earlier post, about half of the sets I have had to curtail at the 1/- because of expense and availability. Besides the 30s sets have just as awe inspiring low values as high values which helps, as some countries did have cheaper looking low values like Australia for instance and Canada.

dporter-stamps

Post by dporter-stamps »

Have been collecting mint KGVI Commonwealth for some years now, i have the 4 Volume SG Album which has spaces for 5,191 (i must have counted them at some time as i have made a note) of which i still need approx 400 to complete, most of which are the expensive ones, e.g. Aden 1937 10r olive green.

A few months ago i started adding the perf & colour varities, though i am starting to wish now that i hadn't, there are soooo many. I bought a couple of packs of blank pages for the KGVI album & designed them to match using Scribus, a couple of examples are below.

greidp

Post by greidp »

This is a great thread; hopefully it keeps going. Dporter; love your stamps. I have the Barbados but envy the Montserrat. I'm now determined to find better deals for some of the Cayman Island material. I also had a look at Ascension and Falkland Islands - they are pricey as well, although I've got a good Start on St. Helena and Tristan da Cunha; in St. Helena I have the KGVI and first QEII issues and have made a good start on a couple of the KGV sets. Keeping watch for deals on the high values.

moonstone

Post by moonstone »

You've certainly identified 2 of the 'big guns' in Ascension & Falklands, particularly some of the Ascension perf. varieties, but there are good shades to be found on the Internet at good prices and look out for the Ascension 'shifts' where the head & vignette plates are out of register. Get yourself a decent catalogue such as the Stanley Gibbons Part 1 or George VI, or the Murray Payne version. Without one of these, bargains can easily be missed.

PeterS
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Post by PeterS »

How about we give Amfhf1 a chance to show more of his collection, before we forget what the thread is about? :D
Peter
Hawthorn - AFL Premiers 1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015

amfhf1

Post by amfhf1 »

Aden Seiyun S.G. 20-26 my first gap S.G. 27

amfhf1

Post by amfhf1 »

Aden- Qu'aiti State of Shir and Mukalla S.G. 1-11 with a few used as well.

amfhf1

Post by amfhf1 »

Aden- Qu'aiti State of Shihr and Mukalla S.G. 12-27

amfhf1

Post by amfhf1 »

Antigua 95-113 with a few colour variations and some used.

amfhf1

Post by amfhf1 »

dporter-stamps wrote:Have been collecting mint KGVI Commonwealth for some years now, i have the 4 Volume SG Album which has spaces for 5,191 (i must have counted them at some time as i have made a note) of which i still need approx 400 to complete, most of which are the expensive ones, e.g. Aden 1937 10r olive green.

A few months ago i started adding the perf & colour varities, though i am starting to wish now that i hadn't, there are soooo many. I bought a couple of packs of blank pages for the KGVI album & designed them to match using Scribus, a couple of examples are below.

Nice stuff Mr Dporter, got lucky with my 10r Dhow Aden a few years ago at an Auction, $105.00 for the

complete set only needed the 10r at the time.

Got home and found out I had the different shade on the 5r in the set as well.

Made a great buy even better.
Last edited by amfhf1 on 09 Nov 2012 12:30, edited 1 time in total.

amfhf1

Post by amfhf1 »

Well Photobucket is being a bit slow tonight for me was going to post a few more but it can wait till tomorrow.

Any one with interesting King George VI stamps, covers, blocks or other oddities to share please do so.

As well any one with questions please ask and we shall see what we can come up with for way of an answer.

No guarantees on the answers :) but this is a popular area to collect maybe we can collect an expert or two

along the way.

Will get a few blocks up tomorrow I hope lol yes I am a sucker for those as well.

Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

One of my favourites is the Fiji set, an incredible 22 stamps including the following changes. 1.5d canoe, no person in it, 6d Map no 180 on it, 5d Cane where its blue.

The Pound and 10/- are scarce due to the fact they were only released in 1950.

Another nice set is the Malta coronation and definitives. This is the first 1938 set, there were colour changes for a rate increase in 1943.

All of them were badly overprinted in 1948 for self government and then again in 1953 for further rate increase.

Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

St Vincent which is now a notorious wall paper entity had much nicer and more plainer designs in the 1940s as you can see.
The first set complete to 10/- in 1938 featured a few views and the actual St Vincent.

Many Caribbean territories changed to decimal currency in 1949 and the set was reissued as you can see below. There are 2 versions of the 1c and 4c. The 3c and 6c switched designs, to add to the confusion the 7 and 10 cents are the same design. You will also notice that the 5 top values (48c, 60c, $1.20, $2.40, $4.80) all look the same sans minor colour changes.

This is the part set of the Caymans I was mentioning as well.

A very nice Bahamas set came out in 1948 as well, it was largely recycled for QE2 in 1953

Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

Continuing my journey, we have a few values of a very nice British Honduras set, I intend to complete it, thats for sure, but of all the low values, these must be the best, particularly the 1c (Mayan cool) and the 2c and 3c. The 4c and 5c rock too.

A nice pair of Jamaican stamps issued in 1952 for scouts. I love the colours and engraving, plus its cheap and easy to get.

Moving to Africa, we get this Nigerian set missing the 5/-, the 2/6 recycles one of the George V 1936 designs and the others are a good use of a low value generic but colourful design.

My final contribution, a gorgeous Ascension part set to 5/-. Its missing the 10/- and scarce 3d, This set again shows how the frame can enhance a flat design.

amfhf1

Post by amfhf1 »

Nice Princestamps thanks for the contribution to the thread.

dporter-stamps

Post by dporter-stamps »

amfhf1, sorry, i didnt mean to hijack your thread, i was trying to show that there are many more varities such as different perfs, shades, watermarks, etc., than shown in most albums.

If you happen to come across another nice mint Aden 10r at that price or even twice that, let me know :) :) :)

I'll show a couple more if i may, then let you get on with showing the rest of yours.

1st, Ascension, as moonstone says there is quite a few different perfs, shades to look out for. The 1938-53 set has 32 different perfs, shades.

2nd, Bermuda, this is a minefield when it comes to shades & perfs, the 1938-53 set has 56 different perfs, shades & thats not counting other varities such as cracked scrolls, etc.,
I think i have my shades correct but without an expert looking at them i cant be sure.

greidp

Post by greidp »

d-porter stamps
Where did you get those high-value KGVI Bermuda stamps? And how long did it take you to find them? I have a modest Bermuda collection and have been drooling over these very stamps. Would love to get them but prices are outrageous.

joelk

Post by joelk »

Amfhf1,

That's a fantastic collection. I've always wanted to form a good collection of these beautiful engraved British Commonwealth stamps issued during the reigns of George V and George VI, and the early years of EII. Focusing on George VI is a very smart way to do this, as you get the bulk of the great engraving at a (still) reasonable cost for most of the stamps.

Cheers,
Joel.

dporter-stamps

Post by dporter-stamps »

greidp, gathered them up over the past 20 or so years by buying up different collections, back then i never thought of perfs/shades, i just liked them, they were a lot cheaper then as well.

Out of all i gathered up i have never found one with the listed varities like a broken crown or cracked scroll, they seem to have been checked for these but not for perfs or shades.

At the minute i am in the process of checking all my mint & used KGVI Commonwealth.

moonstone

Post by moonstone »

ImageImage

Interesting shade variation on the George VI Ceylon 2c value.

The stamp at left is the 1938 perf. 13½ issue and the right stamp is the 1944 perf. 11x11½. Note the much richer colour and the greater engraving work, particularly noticeable around the Kings face

amfhf1

Post by amfhf1 »

The MY part of the title stands for all of us :) please keep them all coming.

Especially you Mr porter those look great together like that my album is just the basic four part Album none of

those lovely shades have spaces in mine.

amfhf1

Post by amfhf1 »

And this completes my Antigua S.G. 114-117.

We start with Ascencion S.G. 35-47.

With an extra 2d orange Coronation shade and an extra halfcrown 2/6 that appears to be a different shade as
well.

amfhf1

Post by amfhf1 »

And this completes Ascension S.G. 50-55

And a few blocks as promised.

When ever I see a block of this era it quickly makes it to the I will have that pile.

With a plate block of S.G.38 and a used block of four of i think S.G. 40df perf 13 though I am not that good with

shades. The perf is 13 and the cancel date of April 7th 1953 works for it too be that.

Rog
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by Rog »

I collect GVI too.

Nice Ascension ones and yes I see a few shades for the Ceylon set too in my collection.

I picked up the perf 13 10/- Ascension recently, now I only need the perf 13.5 to complete the set I think. I think it could be my favourite of all the GVI sets.
My Stamp Blog : The Stamp Book

amfhf1

Post by amfhf1 »

Rog wrote:I collect GVI too.

Nice Ascension ones and yes I see a few shades for the Ceylon set too in my collection.

I picked up the perf 13 10/- Ascension recently, now I only need the perf 13.5 to complete the set I think. I think it could be my favourite of all the GVI sets.
Thanks for posting Rog, I like this set as well but i think my favourite has to be Falklands.

Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

amfhf1 wrote:And this completes my Antigua S.G. 114-117.

We start with Ascencion S.G. 35-47.

With an extra 2d orange Coronation shade and an extra halfcrown 2/6 that appears to be a different shade as
well.

Very nice!!!! Makes mine look pathetic. You have some great stamps there, can't wait to see your Basutoland's and Bermuda's

The one Bermuda collection so far is really Outstanding, all those arms types, make me drool :o

Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

dporter-stamps wrote:amfhf1, sorry, i didnt mean to hijack your thread, i was trying to show that there are many more varities such as different perfs, shades, watermarks, etc., than shown in most albums.

If you happen to come across another nice mint Aden 10r at that price or even twice that, let me know :) :) :)

I'll show a couple more if i may, then let you get on with showing the rest of yours.

1st, Ascension, as moonstone says there is quite a few different perfs, shades to look out for. The 1938-53 set has 32 different perfs, shades.

2nd, Bermuda, this is a minefield when it comes to shades & perfs, the 1938-53 set has 56 different perfs, shades & thats not counting other varities such as cracked scrolls, etc.,
I think i have my shades correct but without an expert looking at them i cant be sure.

Your pages are outstanding, you made me drool for them now. :oops:

jadrake

Post by jadrake »

A thread along my collecting habits.... :-) (I collect all the perforations and shade varieties from QV to the end of the KGVI reign in mint). The Bermuda keyframes were gorgeous. I don't have scans of individual pages of my collection, but I have a lot of individual stamp scans. (like my Aden 10R)
I love the contrast in the 5r. That is the only stamp I am missing from my set (which I suppose is now stamp(s) as the color differences are distinct)

From Bermuda, I did have SG 121c, 121d, 121e (from your gaps - you have an "e" in the image but I couldn't see it in detail and without the "d" it is hard to compare.
ImageImage

Let me know if there is anything anyone is look for (ie. to see via a scan) and I can see what I have that I can post.

Cheers

-Jason
Bringing you these great Stamp Software tools
Stamp Image Bursting Application | Stamp Album Page Generator
Collector of Early Mint British Commonwealth, Germany, Iceland, Japan

pilot
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by pilot »

This series, in the same denominations and colours as the KGV issue, was released on April 1, 1938.

A 1½ d. stamp was added to the values.

amfhf1

Post by amfhf1 »

Thanks for posting all Please keep them coming.

Was going to post a few things today but son decided to fall down stairs thought he might have broken his arm.

But exrays came back negative.

Still milking it for all he is worth works with the wife lol.

He is ten so will give him some slack.

amfhf1

Post by amfhf1 »

Australia S.G. 161-163 153a 164-178 193-195 196-199 200-202

With a couple of shades and one specimen overprint.

amfhf1

Post by amfhf1 »

Australia S.G.203-208 209-211 213-215 216-218 222-222a 223-224 225 226 227 231 232 233

amfhf1

Post by amfhf1 »

And this completes my Australia with postage dues.

Also the robes high values used on piece together.

S.G. 233-253 D108 D110 D112-D118 I think.

Chased D108 for years.

Thats the second postage due.

amfhf1

Post by amfhf1 »

B.C.O.F J1-J7 with nice block of four J1and a used J6.

pilot

Post by pilot »

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”