A gift from Stampboarder towradji:
Clifton Hill is a suburb of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 4 km north-east of the Melbourne central business district. Its local government area is the City of Yarra. At the 2016 Census, Clifton Hill had a population of 6,341.
Described in the 1880s as the "Toorak of Collingwood", Clifton Hill fell out of favour, along with much of inner Melbourne, by the mid 20th century. Later becoming a centre of Melbourne's bohemianism, the suburb has undergone rapid gentrification in recent years, with renewed interest in its inner city location and well preserved Victorian and Edwardian housing stock. Clifton Hill now considered one of Melbourne's most liveable suburbs, and is consequently becoming increasingly less affordable, with the median property price increasing from 112% to 160% of the Melbourne metropolitan median in the decade to 1996, and 180% (AUD1.48 million) by 2017.
Clifton Hill is located immediately adjacent to Fitzroy North, with which it shares the same postcode. Along with Carlton North and Fitzroy North, Clifton Hill has unusually spacious and picturesque streets, being part of a well preserved government subdivision laid out by Clement Hodgkinson in the 1860s, and most unlike the smaller crowded streets of the majority of inner Melbourne. The border between Clifton Hill and Fitzroy North is Queens Parade and Smith Street while Clifton Hill's border with Collingwood is Alexandra Parade. Merri Creek defines the eastern and northern borders of Clifton Hill with Northcote and Fairfield.
The land in Clifton Hill began to be sold in 1864 and the area boomed, along with the rest of Melbourne, in the 1880s. Between, it was reported, 'the progress ... was almost a backward one. It truly was "a howling wilderness".
Clifton Hill received its current name, distinguishing it from the remainder of Collingwood, from Clifton Farm, one of the first properties in the area. The word "Hill" was added by land developer John Knipe to spruik his new estate, the first subdivision of which, being 64 freehold properties, was auctioned by Knipe, George and Co. on 18 September 1871.
The Melbourne Tramway & Omnibus Company's cable tramway reached Clifton Hill in 1887, providing convenient transport to the commercial district of Smith Street, Collingwood, Bourke Street in the City Centre, as well as spurring development of the local Queens Parade commercial district around the tram terminus.
The Clifton Hill Post Office opened circa December 1883 & became an LPO 8/11/1993.
Specialist Collector of World Horse Racing Covers, Melbourne Cup & Kentucky Derby, & JFK fdcs.