Have you ever seen a UK £100 currency banknote?

A *LARGE* percentage of stamp collectors also collect various numismatic areas. This is YOUR little corner of the board to ask questions, seek advice, check values, and chat. Please join in!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

JonEboy
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Have you ever seen a UK £100 currency banknote?

Post by JonEboy »

I've been around for a while now but in all my years I have never come across one of these before

This was sent to my wife recently as a 'present' and it struck me that the largest note UK I'd ever seen was £50.

Am I in the minority here? Has anyone else seen or indeed got one of these?

Jon
Barbados, Commonwealth, France & Colonies, GB, Line Engraved, Intaglio & Recess printed stamps
http://www.barbadosstamps.co.uk
Allanswood

Re: Have you ever seen a UK £100 note?

Post by Allanswood »

The Bank of Scotland produces/issues the UK £100 note?
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"
nigelc
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!

Post by nigelc »

Bank of Scotland and Clydesdale Bank also issue £100 notes as do three banks in Northern Ireland.
Nigel
nigelc

Post by nigelc »

Allanswood wrote:The Bank of Scotland produces/issues the UK £100 note?
This one is issued by the Royal Bank of Scotland but yes the Bank of Scotland issues its own notes too.
Nigel
aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

I've never seen anything bigger than a 50, but then those have all been Bank of England notes.

Someone is generous to your wife, hope she doesn't get too accustomed to such presents too often. :shock:

Awhile ago SG offered a £1,000,000 note--created post-war for use in accounting for reconstruction loans.
Collecting Mongolia; Thailand; Indo-China; Mourning Covers; OHMS.
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

A member here based in N.Ireland paid me in NI 100s by Reg'd post.

When next at Heathrow I tried to cash them into $A.

You'd think I was trying to pass off 3 dollar bills. :twisted:

UV lights, suspicious glances, holding up to light, checking books of note images.

Then they said they accept ONE only.

Stick to BofE. :idea:
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
vikingeck
PLATINUM Shooting Star *10,000* Posts!
PLATINUM Shooting Star  *10,000* Posts!

Post by vikingeck »

When I was a student back in 1960 we qualified for a Government grant ( Those were the days!) I recall drawing 3 x £100 notes from the bank to pay the University tuition fee.

It was a bit of silly student bravado back then but perfectly legal, and the notes have always been around but at that value not much in circulation.

At that time the Scottish banks issued £1,£5,£10 £20 and £100 notes, and apart from dropping the £1 for ecconomic reasons the three banks still do.

In the past there were many other banks issuing similar notes North of Scotland , National Commercial, British Linen, were all in circulatation when I was a lad back in 1950s. Confusing plethora of designs for the visitor, and as each bank has revised designs this century I can still have up to a dozen different designs in my wallet--- not counting and stray £100!

The Bank of England ( Founded by a Scotsman Wm Paterson 1694) Issues notes for all English banks. The Bank of England is not a retail High Street Bank and has no branches , that function is carried out by others such as Barclays, LLoyds etc.

The Scottish banks are independent entities, or at least they were when founded, and each issues its own PROMISSARY NOTES . They " Promise top pay the bearer etc". This right to print notes has been jealously guarded through all the take-overs and mergers of the past.
whatever it is -------it's better than a poke in eye with a wet umbrella !
JonEboy

Post by JonEboy »

Aah yes, Northern Ireland notes, now that's a different matter.

After the massive robbery in 2004 Northern Bank had to completely reprint all their notes with new designs, effectively making anything stolen worthless.

I'm guessing they thought you might be part of the gang :lol: :lol:

Jon
Barbados, Commonwealth, France & Colonies, GB, Line Engraved, Intaglio & Recess printed stamps
phrag99
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Post by phrag99 »

Twenty-odd years ago, a colleague of mine arrived in Italy by plane (Rome, I think) and needed to change his currency into Lire. He only had Scottish notes. The Bureau de Change refused to exchange them. It was 11 at night, before mobile phones. Couldn't contact anyone. Walked 10 miles to his hotel.
nigelc

Post by nigelc »

vikingeck wrote:At that time the Scottish banks issued £1,£5,£10 £20 and £100 notes, and apart from dropping the £1 for ecconomic reasons the three banks still do.
The Royal Bank of Scotland still issues £1 notes.
vikingeck wrote: In the past there were many other banks issuing similar notes North of Scotland , National Commercial, British Linen, were all in circulatation when I was a lad back in 1950s. Confusing plethora of designs for the visitor, and as each bank has revised designs this century I can still have up to a dozen different designs in my wallet--- not counting and stray £100!
I can't remember quite so far back but I do remember when we had a local branch of the the British Linen Bank and I used to see their bank-notes. :)
Nigel
traralgon3844

Post by traralgon3844 »

This was mentioned previously and could be yours for a paltry £125,000 and they will charge you postage. :lol:

https://www.stanleygibbons.com/stanleygibbons/view/product/sg ... 8/SG747781
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
drseg
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by drseg »

There is an article on bbc today about these large notes. Apparently there some larger than 1,000,000 pounds. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21145103.

Here in Canada the largest note is/was? 1,000$ I held one in my hands for a few seconds a few years back. What a feeling....
DaveR

Post by DaveR »

However ... :)

Scottish and Northern Ireland notes are not legal tender in England and Wales :!:

See Bank of England web site - http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/Pages/about/faqs.aspx

"Are Scottish & Northern Ireland notes "legal tender"?
In short ‘No’ these notes are not "legal tender"; furthermore, Bank of England notes are only legal tender in England and Wales."

However -
"In ordinary everyday transactions, the term "legal tender" in its purest sense need not govern a note's acceptability in transactions. The acceptability of a Scottish or Northern Ireland note as a means of payment is essentially a matter for agreement between the parties involved. If both parties are in agreement, Scottish and Northern Ireland notes can be used in England and Wales."

I have had Scottish notes refused when I used to live much further South. Now I live nearer to Scotland, shops & pubs are much more used to seeing them.

Dave.
nigelc

Post by nigelc »

DaveR wrote:However ... :)

Scottish and Northern Ireland notes are not legal tender in England and Wales :!:

See Bank of England web site - http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/Pages/about/faqs.aspx

"Are Scottish & Northern Ireland notes "legal tender"?
In short ‘No’ these notes are not "legal tender"; furthermore, Bank of England notes are only legal tender in England and Wales."

However -
"In ordinary everyday transactions, the term "legal tender" in its purest sense need not govern a note's acceptability in transactions. The acceptability of a Scottish or Northern Ireland note as a means of payment is essentially a matter for agreement between the parties involved. If both parties are in agreement, Scottish and Northern Ireland notes can be used in England and Wales."

I have had Scottish notes refused when I used to live much further South. Now I live nearer to Scotland, shops & pubs are much more used to seeing them.

Dave.
I've only once had a Scots bank note refused and that was many years ago in Birmingham. :evil:

The concept of "legal tender" has very limited impact in practice. For example, no bank notes (Scots or English) are legal tender in Scotland and I doubt if many people will refuse them there. :lol:

Coins with face values less than a pound are only legal tender up to limited amounts (and this applies anywhere in the UK): 20p and 50p coins in amounts up to £10, 5p and 10p coins in amounts up to £5, and 1p and 2p coins in amounts up to 20p.
Nigel
vikingeck

Post by vikingeck »

The point about not "legal tender" is a valid one .

The phrase I used in my post about Scottish Notes above
is " PROMISSARY NOTE" ie it is only a promise by the bank to pay the bearer £1 or whatever the denomination.

It will ultimately be honoured by the Bank from its reserves but the promise is transferred from Mr A to Mr B with the note. Which works perfectly well in practice.

I cannot recall ever having Scottish notes refused in England in the past 30years. However, when in York last week, I paid for my Pint with a Bank of Scotland £10.

No problem to the Polish girl at the bar ----------but a ruckus 20 minute later when a Yorkshire man at the refused to accept it in change for his B of E £20! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

Last week there was a silly theory being tossed around in the USA that to meet a credit crunch, the Secretary of the Treasury could mint a platinum collector's coin with a face of $1 trillion, as the decision to make non-general circulation coins doesn't have to go through Congress.

The academic line of thought was, mint it, stick it into the Treasury's vault and ta-da, the US government suddenly has all that cash to spend.
aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

drseg wrote:Here in Canada the largest note is/was? 1,000$ I held one in my hands for a few seconds a few years back. What a feeling....
The thousand was around until the Bird series, after that it was cancelled...the Royal Mint said "normal people don't carry around such things in everyday life"...duh. :o The government believed the high notes were being used by drug dealers and Mafia.

Mind you, that face value had been around since what, the 1960s--so back then you could have bought a car with one banknote I guess. :shock:
traralgon3844

Post by traralgon3844 »

£100 is chicken feed. Remember these.

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
aussie_robbo60
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by aussie_robbo60 »

A mate of mine sent me this scan last week which is one of many in his collection.

Cheers Robbo
I am a Collector of all British New Guinea, Papua and TP&NG. Would love to talk to fellow collectors of same. Robbo
Rigasprat
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Post by Rigasprat »

drseg wrote:There is an article on bbc today about these large notes. Apparently there some larger than 1,000,000 pounds. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21145103.

Here in Canada the largest note is/was? 1,000$ I held one in my hands for a few seconds a few years back. What a feeling....
In Toronto in the late 1970's a new client I was dubious about I put in the terms of the contract to be paid in cash.

Upon payment I received about 7or 8 one thousand canadian dollar bills. I hung on to them for 2 or 3 years but later when needing the money I would trod off to the bank several times for change.

I knew the banking staff fairly well but did garner some curious looks - these were a BIG notes back in the 70's.

Anyhow, I always said to them LOOK what is written on this note..."will pay to the bearer on demand".
Stewie1980
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by Stewie1980 »

Did a SB-member from Singapore ever had one of these?

us$8,110.00 / £5,140.00
maszki

Post by maszki »

Global Administrator wrote:A member here based in N.Ireland paid me in NI 100s by Reg'd post.

When next at Heathrow I tried to cash them into $A.

You'd think I was trying to pass off 3 dollar bills. :twisted:

UV lights, suspicious glances, holding up to light, checking books of note images.

Then they said they accept ONE only.

Stick to BofE. :idea:
Glen, is this one of those 'What is the capital of Scotland jokes- pre-April 1st?'
mozzerb
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by mozzerb »

JonEboy wrote:This was sent to my wife recently as a 'present' and it struck me that the largest note UK I'd ever seen was £50. Am I in the minority here?
Nope -- £50 is the highest denomination note the Bank of England currently issue. So most people in the UK who don't live in Scotland or Northern Ireland -- or at least close to the border -- are unlikely to have seen any of the £100 versions issued there. (Especially as £100 is a rather high denomination to be carrying around for everyday transactions. Even £50 notes tend to be unpopular with shopkeepers, both due to the risk of forgeries and because they can eat up a lot of float in making change!)
Finchley Chris
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by Finchley Chris »

I believe (but may be wrong) that there is a 500 Euro note, much favoured by money-launderers.
hatter

Post by hatter »

My local shops have signs - " we do not accept Scottish £50 notes"

I thought that they were generally accepted and legal tender, despite some of the discussion above, so I asked "Why"

answer was "we've beeen stung with forgeries"

and if the bank declines to accept a note, the shop is stuck, and therefore £50 down. It takes a lot of bread and cakes for rthe local bakery to recover £50
Hatter
honza

Post by honza »

hatter wrote:
I thought that they were generally accepted and legal tender, despite some of the discussion above, so I asked "Why"
Ahoj hatter!

They are generally accepted now but are not legal tender in England.

In the earlier post the Polish barmaid was free to accept a Scottish note in England at her discretion, but the Yorkshireman was also within his rights to refuse to accept it in change.

Even the branches of Scottish banks are not allowed to dispense Scottish notes in England.

50 years ago if you could find an English shopkeeper to accept a Scottish £1, he would only allow you goods worth 19s6d. I presume the banks may well have charged him 6d for having to send the notes up to Head Office.

Cheers,

Honza
nigelc

Post by nigelc »

honza wrote:
hatter wrote:
Ahoj hatter!

They are generally accepted now but are not legal tender in England.

In the earlier post the Polish barmaid was free to accept a Scottish note in England at her discretion, but the Yorkshireman was also within his rights to refuse to accept it in change.

Even the branches of Scottish banks are not allowed to dispense Scottish notes in England.

50 years ago if you could find an English shopkeeper to accept a Scottish £1, he would only allow you goods worth 19s6d. I presume the banks may well have charged him 6d for having to send the notes up to Head Office.

Cheers,

Honza
The meaning of "legal tender" is much misunderstood.

Bank of England notes are not legal tender in Scotland (and neither are Scottish or Northern Irish ones). Does it matter? Not in the slightest.
Nigel
warm

Post by warm »

JonEboy wrote:Aah yes, Northern Ireland notes, now that's a different matter.

After the massive robbery in 2004 Northern Bank had to completely reprint all their notes with new designs, effectively making anything stolen worthless.

I'm guessing they thought you might be part of the gang :lol: :lol:

Jon
In the Wiki reference to the robbery

Insurance
At the time of the raid, Northern Bank was owned by National Australia Bank although a deal had been signed to sell the bank to Danske Bank in the following year, 2005. This meant that all the costs of the raid were taken by National Australia Bank and not Northern Bank.

This was kind of the NAB - probably raised our fees, and then raised them a little bit more to cover………
HalfpennyYellow
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by HalfpennyYellow »

Finchley Chris wrote:I believe (but may be wrong) that there is a 500 Euro note, much favoured by money-launderers.
Yes there is a €500 note (and a €200 one as well). They are rarely used and I have never seen them.
nigelc

Post by nigelc »

Here's an article from the BBC web site today about existing 1 Million and 100 Million bank notes used for internal accounting in the Bank of England associated with backing the Scottish and Northern Irish notes that are in circulation,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21145103

with the image from the story of a specimen 1 million pound note:

Nigel
aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

Finchley Chris wrote:I believe (but may be wrong) that there is a 500 Euro note, much favoured by money-launderers.
The Euro coins & notes all work on a 1-2-5 principle.

Coins for (cents) of 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 50 and (Euro) 1, 2

Notes for (Euros) 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200, 500

I lived in Belgium for a few months for work with an NGO. Saw a 500 note once. We were having a conference, and one of the members, a wealthy lady from Luxembourg, paid her registration fees with it.

When the currency was introduced, it was feared by INTERPOL etc that the 500 Euro note would become the "note of choice" for drug dealers and the other criminal underworld, as they have to move vast amounts of money, and always in cash. For many years the workhorse bill has been the USA's $100. (I remember reading a few years ago, I think it was when the redesigned notes were released, that several pallets of them were delivered to Russia in preparation of the release date. :shock: )
aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

Stewie1980 wrote:Image
us$8,110.00 / £5,140.00
Wow. :shock:

In Hong Kong, there were $500 notes since, I think it was, the 1920s. $500 nowadays is often a lot of money to give someone at a store/restaurant (where a meal can be $30); near 100 years ago, I wonder how much it would have bought. :idea:

Would be interesting to plot the highest-face currency of a country against the purchasing power of the money at the time of issue.
ChrisGray

Post by ChrisGray »

aethelwulf wrote: Wow. :shock:

In Hong Kong, there were $500 notes since, I think it was, the 1920s. $500 nowadays is often a lot of money to give someone at a store/restaurant (where a meal can be $30); near 100 years ago, I wonder how much it would have bought. :idea:

Would be interesting to plot the highest-face currency of a country against the purchasing power of the money at the time of issue.
I was in HK a few years ago, but after a couple weeks I thought I was completely broke, until I emptied the pockets of my jacket and found that I'd drunkenly secreted a couple $1000 notes in an inside pocket. It wasn't winning the lotto by any means, but I could at least survive for the rest of the holiday without credit cards. :) I think it was the equivalent of $250 AUD at the time, being 2009.

Your point is interesting though, but there's a lot of devils in the details, namely the buying power per dollar. I remember years ago, online they pegged it against (of all things) prices of burgers at McDonalds, as I assume they're ubiquitous in most corners of the globe that have allowed them in.
Stewie1980

Post by Stewie1980 »

aethelwulf wrote:In Hong Kong, there were $500 notes since, I think it was, the 1920s. $500 nowadays is often a lot of money to give someone at a store/restaurant (where a meal can be $30); near 100 years ago, I wonder how much it would have bought. :idea:

When I was in HK a few years ago I got a $1000 from an ATM. To large to fit in my wallet and I couldn't pay with the thing anywhere! Not even my hotel accepted them. Had to change it at a bank for 10x $100.

The highest banknote was probably the United States $10,000. They were issued from 1900 till 1946 I think. They are still legel tender today. 300+ of them are still arround somewhere.
Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

Interestingly, not here. Our biggest note is the $100 and its seldom seen and often used by launderes at the Casinos. If you try to but anything with a note higher than a $20 many shopkeepers will ask for smaller and then look at it to see if its a fake.
Cue more suspicious looks and questions if the item you are buying is worth less than 1/2 of the value of the note and if you are non European like me.

In this broke country of ours, people use eftpos (ATM card charging for most items small, and Credit cards for large purchases), so cash itself is rare, 90% of ATM's pay out $20's and a few pay out $50's but $100 notes are very very rare. Nearly all legitimate work is paid by direct crediting and not cash.

I assume this is the case in most countries with an average per capita income of over $5000 a year. So big notes are always going to be suspicious and linked to crime.

They have been pressing for a $500 or $1000 note for years, but there would little use for it, except to help launderers. Before 1934 we had trading bank notes up to 100 pounds, and in 1934 with our Reserve Bank being formed, the highest was a 50 pound (The sterling equivalent of $100, but buying power then was 30 -50x more than today).

Back then less than 100,000 50 quid notes were issued in 33 years and even now where the $20 has some 85 million notes issued each year, there have been 2 printings of $100's since the new notes came out in 1999, one lot of 500k in 1999 and another 1 million notes in 2006.

Theres no demand for these, just like in the UK, what demand is there for a high note like 100 Quid, with all the street crime and the convenience of credit cards who needs it.

The fact that Singapore has actually withdrawn all notes above $100, Canada I think too has demonitized its $1000 note and I read the US got rid of $500 and $1000 in 1969, is proof that money should be functional for day to day needs. Walking around with a pocket full of big notes in inconvenient to everyone and potentially harmful if some ghetto hood rat comes up and steals it off you.
aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

ChrisGray wrote:Your point is interesting though, but there's a lot of devils in the details, namely the buying power per dollar. I remember years ago, online they pegged it against (of all things) prices of burgers at McDonalds, as I assume they're ubiquitous in most corners of the globe that have allowed them in.
The Big Mac index. Compiled by The Economist magazine. They use it as a rough guide to the relative costs of living in different countries. The idea is that the product is a standard, so the price its offered at can be reflective of local cost of living. Switzerland usually had the priciest burgers, at something like $5-7, while it would be half that in other parts of the world.

My thinking was, how much "bang for the buck" do different countries highest-face banknote have...in the USA and Canada the biggest note is $100, where a can of Coke is $1, a litre of gas around the same (I don't know, I don't drive). In Thailand the highest note is 1000 baht, about $40USD; a meal from a street-side vendor could be 30baht.

Canada discontinued its $1000...15 years ago? The government said "most people don't use these bills in daily life"...duh! Even the $100 nobody was accepting in the last decade, as there was a rash of forgeries around. In HK a few years ago, there was a plague of forgeries of one particular $1000 note, so all stores had signs saying "We don't accept $1000, from HSBC, with 2007 yeardates". Notes from the other 2 note-issuing banks, and from HSBC other years, were OK.
JonEboy

Post by JonEboy »

I believe that the precursor of the Big Mac index was the Mars Bar index, which my mate Frank always swore by and assessed his salary progression against. Originally from 1981 you can read about it here :D

Jon
lesbootman
I was *ALMOST* online for post number TEN MILLION!
I was *ALMOST* online for post number TEN MILLION!

Post by lesbootman »

Yes there is a €500 note (and a €200 one as well). They are rarely used and I have never seen them.

I was hiring a car in Almeria (Spain) a few years ago and the guy in front of me in the queue had a wad of 200 Euro notes, some of which he used to pay for his car. I heard tell of someone else trying to spend a 200 euro note whilst on holiday and being arrested for trying to pass a forgery. He maintained that he'd got it from the Post Office when he changed his pounds into Euro. That was a few years ago too.
Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind!
Machaggis52
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!

Post by Machaggis52 »

JonEboy wrote:I've been around for a while now but in all my years I have never come across one of these before

This was sent to my wife recently as a 'present' and it struck me that the largest note UK I'd ever seen was £50. Am I in the minority here? Has anyone else seen or indeed got one of these?

Jon
I give one of these to my wife and daughter every Christmas. :D
With kind regards, Jim
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

Princestamps wrote:
So big notes are always going to be suspicious and linked to crime.

What nonsense.

Come to Melbourne 2013 in May, and you'll see 100s if not 1000s of green $100s changing hands between totally law abiding citizens.
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
JonEboy

Post by JonEboy »

Machaggis52 wrote:
JonEboy wrote:I've been around for a while now but in all my years I have never come across one of these before

This was sent to my wife recently as a 'present' and it struck me that the largest note UK I'd ever seen was £50. Am I in the minority here? Has anyone else seen or indeed got one of these?

Jon
I give one of these to my wife and daughter every Christmas. :D
Can I be your adopted son? :lol: :lol:

Jon
gavin-h

Post by gavin-h »

Global Administrator wrote:
Princestamps wrote:

What nonsense.

Come to Melbourne 2013 in May, and you'll see 100s if not 1000s of green $100s changing hands between totally law abiding citizens.
It may be "nonsense" - I'd prefer the term "paranoia" - but it's a VERY widely-held view over here as well as in NZ :idea:
Rigasprat

Post by Rigasprat »

Here is some views on "crime" that i would ascribe to;

I think from the American poet Emmerson..."the poor uneducated man steals from boxcars, the wealthy educated man steals railroads."

Also, most money crime is created and comes from a briefcase not a gun.
maszki

Post by maszki »

Rigasprat wrote:Here is some views on "crime" that i would ascribe to;

I think from the American poet Emmerson..."the poor uneducated man steals from boxcars, the wealthy educated man steals railroads."

Also, most money crime is created and comes from a briefcase not a gun.
Well, it may be a senseless conversation. The yank dollar is on the way down, The Euro is on the way down. The pound is on the way down (latest speculation is a 30% depreciation),The yen is on the way down..so........save your confederate dollars because THE SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN..because they have their assault rifles and RPG grenades and SAM missiles.

As to the topic.

Yes I have seen and handled a AUD$200 note and a $200 coin. Yes I have handled a 500 euro note and No I have never handled a 100 pound note. Do they exist? If they do they are forgeries or worthless....nobody can change it.
Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

Global Administrator wrote:
Princestamps wrote:

What nonsense.

Actually Glen you are wrong. I had a few $100's each time I came to Australia, and every time I tried to spend or break one, I got the dirtiest looks from shop keepers and questioned. The only place that didn't was an Italian Restaurant in Lygon Street, who cheerfully took it and gave me an after dinner mint with the receipt and $55 change.

Maybe its the way I look, but I saw lots of $50s being exchanged but no $100. When I get my foreign cash I have a habit of spending all the small notes forst and being reduced to the $100s, the Museum of Sydney let me in for free, rather than change my $100 to pay the $15 admission fee.

Also Glen, New Zealand is a lot poorer than Australia and thats why half of my country has moved to your country. Here you will see that the print numbers of $100 and $50 notes are about 1% of those of the $20s and lower.

I mean I get bus drivers and dairy owners who gripe about having to change a $20 let alone a $100.
vikingeck

Post by vikingeck »

maszki wrote: .

As to the topic.
No I have never handled a 100 pound note. Do they exist? If they do they are forgeries or worthless....nobody can change it.

The answer was given at the beginning. Scotland is part of the UK ( At least at present) and £100 notes have always been available on request at the bank .Three types exist and can be used . they are not forgeries not worthless , but not exactly common, (or in favour simply for that reason!).

I have seen them used in farming Auctions in the past. though now with plastic money replacing cash and cheques, folks don't use them in everyday transactions.
aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

maszki wrote:The yank dollar is on the way down, The Euro is on the way down. The pound is on the way down (latest speculation is a 30% depreciation),The yen is on the way down.
So what currencies are going to go up? In currency exchange, for one to go down, it has to go down in relation to the value of others, no? You can't have everything collapse in value. Even the Canadian dollar has been dropping these days against the USD. So the strong ones will be...AUD and CHF?
maszki

Post by maszki »

aethelwulf wrote:
maszki wrote:The yank dollar is on the way down, The Euro is on the way down. The pound is on the way down (latest speculation is a 30% depreciation),The yen is on the way down.
So what currencies are going to go up? In currency exchange, for one to go down, it has to go down in relation to the value of others, no? You can't have everything collapse in value. Even the Canadian dollar has been dropping these days against the USD. So the strong ones will be...AUD and CHF?
An old expression, the more things change the more they remain the same. All the currencies are on a downward spiral and in general terms remain within a small range of valuations to each other.

PeterS recently posted an interesting chart which indicated that the Oz Dollar is over-valued so I would expect it to go down as well. On the same chart the Polish Zloty was under-valued so perhaps that is where the money should go. Who really knows? The yankee dollar still remains the benchmark although it has devalued by about 25 - 30% since 2000.

With this loss in purchasing power, the not often seen 100 pound notes, 200 dollar notes etc will become commonplace- I hope we never get to the same position as Poland in the early 1990's when 50, 100 and 200 zloty banknotes were being used as (very scratchy) toilet paper.

Current worst case scenario is Zimbabwe, their pre 2009 $1,000,000 banknote can be puchased as collector items for US$5.75, trillion dollar banknotes for US$15 and I'm sure there is a healthy profit margin in those prices.
Tassie_Stamps

Post by Tassie_Stamps »

From experience, I have never seen Australian $100 notes being frowned upon. Anywhere.

They are perfectly legal tender, just the same as $5, $10 and $20 notes ......

In the cafe we see plenty of $100's - and always have plenty of change available.

The owner actually accumulates $100 notes, and uses them to book expensive holidays, no complaints from us. :wink:

One local retailer recently stopped accepting cash payments. :shock: She now takes only EFTPOS or gift voucher as payment.

According to her, having NO cash on the premises gives her an annual insurance discount of about 25% .. worth it I'm sure. :)

Obviously it heavily reduces the number of people who would break into that shop too. :idea:

Society seems to be becoming more and more "cashless" ... Every day I am seeing more and more EFTPOS and credit card payments. Really, it's safer than walking around with $1000's of cash in your pocket.
fromdownunder
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Post by fromdownunder »

Princestamps wrote:I mean I get bus drivers and dairy owners who gripe about having to change a $20 let alone a $100.
Just a comment on the bus driver thing. For first runs, well in Geelong at least, bus drivers only get $10.00 float. Unless they are carrying money in their own pocket and can change a larger note, they cannot change a $20.00 note and certainly not a $50 or $100.

On every bus, people are asked to tender the correct change as near as possible, and this is well known. But people still try out with a $50, knowing that it cannot be changed, and knowing that about 75% of the drivers will just let them on anyway. But really, who does not have a $1 coin in their pocket?.

I understand that this is done for security reasons - nobody is going to hijack a bus for $10.

Norm
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in Vain

Return to “Coins, Banknotes, tokens, medals and all things NUMISMATIC!”