Ireland 6th Defins Series; "Wild Flowers of Ireland" 2004-10

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

TheRoyalCounty
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: Ireland 6th Defins Series; "Wild Flowers of Ireland" 200

Post by TheRoyalCounty »

Two philatelic show booklets have been issued using the Wild Flowers definitive series; both for the STAMPA stamp show held each year in October at the Royal Dublin Society (RDS).

STAMPA 2006
(i) DX264d* held 13-15 October 2006
Overprint on SB127/HB131 €7.50 self-adhesive booklet containing a pane of 10 x 75c Navelwort SG1698/D315 and 10 x self-adhesive 'Priority Aerphost' labels.
See https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=51764&hilit=+wild+flower#p3716725 for booklet pane.
DX264d STAMPA 2006 booklet
STAMPA 2008
(ii) DX283 held 10-12 October 2008
Overprint on SB143/HB151 €8.20 Self-Adhesive containing 10 x 82c Sea-aster SG1699b/D307 and 10 self-adhesive Airmail labels.
See https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=51764&hilit=+wild+flower#p3728289 for booklet pane.
DX283 STAMPA 2008 booklet
Other than the overprint shown; the show booklets are as issued by An Post.

*Hibernian assign DX (Domestic) and FX (Foreign) catalogue numbers to philatelic show items
Down the 'corridor of uncertainty'
xpsp2windows
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by xpsp2windows »

I have a 55c variant where the left side of the stamp has no perforation. Is this some sort of error or is there any reason behind this?

Thanks!

Edit: Sorry found details about the stamp in a post in the first page! Missed it before sorry again!
TheRoyalCounty

Post by TheRoyalCounty »

It is from an April 2007 €2 booklet, the stamp can be found imperf on the left or right depending on position on the pane.

See the link below to a post from earlier in this thread which shows the booklet and pane.
http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=51764#p3722034
xpsp2windows

Post by xpsp2windows »

One more query. Since only 4 booklets where released in Phase 4, there should be exactly eight 55c stamps as above with left imperf and four 55c stamps with right imperf.Am I right? Did they release the same left or right imperf 55c in any other phase?

Oops, that's two queries. Thanks!
TheRoyalCounty

Post by TheRoyalCounty »

Of the four booklets issued during Phase 4; two contained gummed stamps and two self-adhesive.

The two gummed booklets contained 55c but the pane orientation was different and the stamps were of different dimensions.

The €2 booklet contained 3 x 55c; two with left imperf and one right imperf each 20mm x 29mm
The €5.50 booklet contained 10 x 55c with 5 each top or bottom imperf each 24.13mm x 17mm

All gummed booklets from all phases have panes with the top and bottom edges imperf, the €2 booklet being the only one with left/right imperf stamps because the stamp orientation is different; the rest are all top/bottom.

The self-adhesives booklet stamps are die-cut and are perforated on all four edges.
xpsp2windows

Post by xpsp2windows »

So you mean to say that only two such stamps exist as the one posted by me? :?
TheRoyalCounty

Post by TheRoyalCounty »

Every €2 booklet had two 55c stamps with left edge imperf.

Not sure how many booklets sold but it has to be in the 10's of thousands so hardly a rarity; cat value €2 used.
TheRoyalCounty

Post by TheRoyalCounty »

The 2015 SG Ireland 6th edition includes new varieties, revised issue dates and catalogue numbers for several issues.

The following thread posts have been edited accordingly.

75c black Bog-rush first printing booklet variety added to SG
http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=51764#p3724624

82c Sea aster self-adhesive booklet stamp; SG catalogue number update
http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=51764#p3728289

'N' Yellow Horned-poppy self-adhesive booklet stamp; SG catalogue number update
http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=51764#p3731346

55c/82c self-adhesive SOAR stamps; revised issue dates, varieties added and SG catalogue number update
http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=51764#p3738395
TheRoyalCounty

Post by TheRoyalCounty »

A long overdue update:

For completeness I have examples of each FDC issued by An Post for this definitive series and all are readily available and shown in this thread.
The example shown below is the exception.

The €7.80 International booklet released 20 April 2007 was initially issued with an error to the stamp on Row 4/2 (shown below). The flower name was incorrectly labelled 'black Bog-rush' instead of 'Black bog-rush'.
A second printing was issued almost immediately making this FDC considerably scarcer.
For more details see: https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=51764&hilit=+wild+flower#p3724624
Up next examples of commercial usage
TheRoyalCounty

Post by TheRoyalCounty »

Commercial Usage

11 January 2006
Pre-paid Registered 'Letter Post' cover to Germany with 15c total make-up values including 3 x 4c SG1668/D287 to uprate from €3.90 National letter rate to €4.05 Rest of the World/International registered.
24 August 2006
Cover to Canada with single 10c SG1671/D290 make-up along with 2005 65c 'Biosphere Reserves' commemorative paying the 75c International letter rate.
01 June 2007
Pre-paid 'RegisteredPost' cover to Germany with 23c total make-up values including single 3c SG1667/D286.
I suspect this is underpaid given the now €5.00 National registered letter rate and €5.60 Rest of the World/International.
29 November 2007
Pre-paid cover to Germany with single 25c SG1674/D293 make-up overpaying the 78c International letter rate by 2c.
TheRoyalCounty

Post by TheRoyalCounty »

(cont)....

15 February 2006
Cover to UK showing solo 60c UK <100g letter rate SG1679/HB297
24 June 2007
Cover to Germany showing solo 78c International rate SG1682/D300
02 July 2007
Cover to UK showing solo 78c International rate SG1699/D316
20 June 2009
Cover to UK showing solo 95c International rate >100g SG1685/D307
Three covers to the UK showing three of the four 82c International rate types.
Top: SG1699c/D307, middle: SG1683/D301 & lower: SG1699e/D322
TheRoyalCounty

Post by TheRoyalCounty »

Philatelic Usage

16 May 2005
Ireland to USA via Germany 'first flight' cover showing 65c International rate SG1680/HBD298
21 April 2008
Ireland to Germany via Austria 'Sonderflug UEFA Euro 2008' cover showing 7c SG1670/D289 make-up value alongside 2006 75c 'Native Trees' commemorative paying 82c International rate.
vronsky
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Post by vronsky »

Thank you for such a detailed information. Would try to collect the mint series :)

As I understood, there are 27 stamps with unique flowers - 25 gummed and [what is really sad] 2 self-adhesive:
Blue-eyed grass (N) and Yellow horned-poppy (N). Damn, those self-adhesive stamps are such a "turn-off"... :(
CMJ
Rescued a MILLION Stampboard Images
Rescued a MILLION  Stampboard Images

Post by CMJ »

This thread has had all the photobucket images replaced and has been restored to its former glory by the volunteers working in the "Anti Ransom Forum".

Chris.
Stevetdy
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Post by Stevetdy »

Thank you for your wonderful article on the Ireland Wild Flower Definitive series. It has been very helpful.

Have you noticed that the 55c Self-Adhesive Large flowered butterwort can be found in 2 versions. One I assume is the booklet version whilst the other with a different design and perforation style I assume is the roll version from Sprintpack (SNP).

The photo below shows both versions:

I realise that your posts were submitted in mid 2000's but wonder if you still have any excess duplicates available of either the Wild Flower or bird issues as I am trying to fill several gaps in my collection of these definitives. Also have you completed your collection yet as I have several duplicates that might assist you.
Erinmania

Post by Erinmania »

Stevetdy,

In answer to your assumptions, the top purple centred 55c flower is from the self adhesive coil printed by Ashton Potter of the USA, and the lower stamp, from the perforation, looks as though it is also from a self adhesive coil but printed by Penmara.
The perforation on the Penmara coil will read 12 3/4 by 12 3/4mm. Self adhesive 55c from the booklet reads 11 1/4 x 11 1/4. There are also two further larger format self adhesive coil printings, SEP print with perfs 11 x 11 1/4mm and energi print with perfs 11 1/4 x 11 1/2mm. Unlike the Ashton Potter printing the lettering on the right hand side falls below the top stem of the flower ( same as Penmara )
Stevetdy

Post by Stevetdy »

Erinmania,
Thank you for your reply. I knew that ISSP, SNP Ausprint, Ashton Potter and Enschede had printed some Ireland self-adhesive issues of the Birds and Wild Flower issues, but had not heard of Penmara or energi printing some Wild Flower issues.
I had thought that the Wild Flower issues appeared to be simpler than the previous Bird series.
It looks as though this was a misplaced hope.
Can you advise where more information can be found about what these printers actually supplied with regard to the Wild Flower issues?
Having looked through numerous back issues of the AnPost Collector magazine and some issues of the Revealer from the Eire Philatelic Association, I cannot find any information regarding these printers.

Thanks for your advise. Hopefully more board members will find the information useful.
Erinmania

Post by Erinmania »

Steve

You will find some information in the Hibernian Ireland 2014 catalogue , although I think it is somewhat confusing. Information on the Wild Flower coils can also be found in the "Revealer" 2008 summer edition in the yearly article headed "That Was The Year That was 2007 (Part 2)".

This series of yearly articles first appear in " Irish Philately" the journal of the Irish Philatelic Circle which you might consider joining.

Alternatively Stanley Gibbons are producing a new Ireland catalogue for publication later in the year and that may also include some information on the coil issues.
Erinmania

Post by Erinmania »

Steve,
My apologies for a typo mistake. The printing company is Pemara .
Stevetdy

Post by Stevetdy »

Thanks for letting me know which issue of the Revealer has the information on what printer issued each version of the 55c stamp. I have managed to find the article with your help and it is very useful. The Hibernian is definitely confusing, I doubt that SG will be much better.
My best chance is to find somewhere that I can purchase individual mint copies of each printing, coil and booklet, so that I can use them to identify the used copies. Although the perf differences between the energi and the AUSPrint is so small that even with mint copies it could be difficult.
At least I understand from the 2009 Spring issue that the Ashton Potter printing should be easier to identify, since these were the smaller size booklet issues of 20 x 23.5mm, similar to the 5th December 2008 'N' yellow horned poppy issue.

Again thanks for you help.
Erinmania

Post by Erinmania »

The Ashton Potter printing from coils is the larger size 25mm x 17mm . The Ashton Potter booklet version is the smaller size 20mm x 23.5mm.

Try as a source

A.R.Ballard
P.O.Box 780
London SE13 5QA

email [email protected]

He is a dealer.
Stevetdy

Post by Stevetdy »

Once again, thank you for your advice. Hopefully I will eventually manage to untangle this stamp issue and manage to obtain a complete group of the individual stamps. Thankfully the rest of this definitive series seem to be less complex.

Thank you.
TheRoyalCounty

Post by TheRoyalCounty »

After a hiatus away from the hobby in part forced by an overseas work contract I'm now able to catch up on this and other threads.

Firstly thanks to the mods in particular CMJ (Chris) for restoring the images.
As this is my first post SB for 2 years, I have much to catch up on, not least figuring out again how to add images.

@Stevetdy, thanks for your kind words, in my view this issue remains one of the last great definitive series from any stamp issuing country.
Let me know via the email link at the foot of this post which gaps you have, with some exceptions I have many used examples on piece but would be happy to send on any you need.

In the meantime, to the question of the 55c (and indeed the 48c) self-adhesive booklet and roll stamps, these are a minefield particularly as the Hibernian and SG information is, as Erinmania says, somewhat confusing. The Revealer is very useful in this regard but unless one has examples in front of them it can be difficult interpreting the information accurately.

This afternoon, with an hour to spare, I've taken a look at my collection notes and see I have errors so I plan to revisit the booklet & coil versions and will update this thread.
Stevetdy

Post by Stevetdy »

Good evening 'TheRoyalCounty'.

Thank you for your posting, it is great to get some comments on these stamps. I was beginning to think that there are very few collectors of Eire stamps on the Board.

I tried to find a link to email you, but none was apparent.

Until mid 1997 I collected Ireland stamps with a standing order for all new issues from AnPost. Unfortunately my work at that time resulted in me spending most of my time overseas and therefore my stamp collecting suffered to the extent that I stopped my Standing Order, just after the Walsall phosphor sheet issues of the Birds series were released. How I now regret that decision!!

Retirement a year or so ago resulted in me deciding to get back into stamp collecting. As part of this return I decided to try and complete the Bird series of definitives. To do this I obtained some kiloware, this also included a few Flower definitives, so it was natural to see if I could also build up a complete collection of this definitive series. I must have been mad!

The result of the kiloware was the question on this thread regarding the 55c Butterwort and also a question regarding identification of the Bird Enschede and SNP self-adhesives on 'Princestamps' thread - 'Ireland Definitives 1922-1995'.

Since I posted the above comments, I have spent most of my time attempting to build up my collection of the Ireland 5th Definitive Series, Birds. This has been done by obtaining mint examples of the issues from sheet, booklet and coil printings of that series.
The hope being that this will enable me to identify the sources of the used examples that I have of these stamps.
The result is that I have managed to purchase mint examples of most of the Birds booklets and coils and can now use these in examining the used stamps. It would certainly be easier if the booklets included the identity of the printers.

The effect of this is that the Flowers series has taken a slight back seat.
However I have managed to obtain all, bar one, of the sheet issues used, as well as several mint. I also have several of the gummed booklet issues in used form with one mint booklet.

Unfortunately I have not yet yet obtained any mint self-adhesive booklet or full size coil issues from the Flowers series to assist in identifying the sources of the used copies that I have. I do have the small size N Yellow Horned Poppy and 82c Sea Aster booklet issues mint.

Although eBay is useful I do prefer actual Stamp dealers so that I can examine items before purchase. That way I can identify differences in Phosphor and paper types thereby allowing me to purchase exactly what I want.

I have also not yet decided on what Stamp Catalogue to purchase. I have looked at both SG and Hibernian and both left me somewhat confused with regard to the Birds and Flowers Definitive issues. I have downloaded copies of the Revealer magazines from 1997 to the present date, although the issues for 2010 to 2013 do not appear to be complete, as well as the AnPost Collector publications.

Below is a scan of the 55c & N Butterwort self-adhesives that I have. The grey colour of the plant name on stamps 1 & 2 on the bottom row appears to be caused by the phosphor screen rather than the printing process as I believe that all of the stamps are printed using Lithography.

DJCMH

Post by DJCMH »

If anyone has a Gibbons Ireland catalog free, can they explain the differences between #1697, 1697a, 1697b and 1697c. All versions of the 55c Butterwort.

Thanks for any assistance!
APS #173088 Stamp Catalog Coordinator for Colnect Online Catalogue https://colnect.com/en/stamps
TheRoyalCounty

Post by TheRoyalCounty »

DJCMH

SG Ireland cat lists the following:
1697 is the self-adhesive booklet stamp perf 11
SG gives a cat number for the booklet pane of 10 stamps (1697a) although the pane is not removable from the booklet, it is the booklet!

1697b are self-adhesive box coil stamps perf 13
1697c as above but perf 11

As you will see from the previous couple of posts, these particular denomination are a bit of a minefield with various printings & printers and some confusion over the exact issue date.

Hope this helps
DJCMH

Post by DJCMH »

Thanks RoyalCounty!
APS #173088 Stamp Catalog Coordinator for Colnect Online Catalogue https://colnect.com/en/stamps
briggia
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by briggia »

TheRoyalCounty wrote:(cont)....

15 February 2006
Cover to UK showing solo 60c UK <100g letter rate SG1679/HB297
24 June 2007
Cover to Germany showing solo 78c International rate SG1682/D300
02 July 2007
Cover to UK showing solo 78c International rate SG1699/D316
20 June 2009
Cover to UK showing solo 95c International rate >100g SG1685/D307
Three covers to the UK showing three of the four 82c International rate types.
Top: SG1699c/D307, middle: SG1683/D301 & lower: SG1699e/D322
Wonderful commercial usage examples - thanks for sharing.

briggia
Whilst growing my usage collection, I also collect other stuff.
Rein
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Post by Rein »

I just wondered why nobody has looked at the offset-litho screens?

Compare the 1 and 2 Euro stamps.

Traditional screen at the left, stochastic screen at the right for the 1 euro:

I have no idea whether 2 euro also exists with a traditional screen? I suppose so!

Stochastic screen for the 2 euro:

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”