A new kind of accountable Stamp Exchange Chain

Seek exchange partners here. List what you broadly have to exchange, and what you'd ideally like in return. No charge - totally **FREE** for stampboards members to use to use. Or GIVE away your spares. Try it out today!

Moderators: AMark, Canada stamper, Volunteer Moderator Team

Canada stamper
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

A new kind of accountable Stamp Exchange Chain

Post by Canada stamper »

The Rules and Template files have been updated on August 2, 2014. If you originated a chain and downloaded the Template before this date, please download the current file (same link) and replace the mailing list and spreadsheet the next time you send the chain out.

Rules (PDF): https://www.dropbox.com/s/6fatstkz2uz4vf5/Alphabet%20Stamp%20Chains%20Rules.pdf

Template for mailing list (Excel file):
Circuits 1-4: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0nimd17vka87ysf/Chain%20Circuit%20 ... 4.xls?dl=0
Circuits 5-8: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k9ra75s4x79qjo6/Chain%20Circuit%20 ... 8.xls?dl=0

(Please see the bottom of this post for the updated rules added October 2014)

***Update 2 February 2015***

Please note that to participate in these chains, you must have at least 90 posts and have been a member for 90 days. Please familiarize yourself with the full Rules for the Swap Forum: http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7741#p352329

==============

I have been thinking about this for a while, but some of the latest comments on the Chain Letter thread (http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5367&start=5700#p3840812) have prompted me to finally post this.

I would like to propose a new kind of chain that will make people more accountable for the stamps they contribute and hopefully make for a better exchange.

I think the big problem with the current chain structure is that it is fairly anonymous, in that stamps in the chain are not linked to the contributor (except for the originator), so perhaps people take less care in selecting non-faulty stamps for exchange.

Additionally, most of the burden is borne by the originator of the chain, who always invests 100 stamps without the guarantee that the chain will make it back home eventually, and is stuck with the contents of the letter once it does return, faulty stamps and all.

The model I would like to propose is not my original idea; it is based on another Round Robin that I have participated in. It requires an initial investment by all participants, and stamps are separated and linked to the contributors throughout the chain.

This is how it works (it requires some degree of trust in the originator of the chain, but since we know each other from Stampboards, that should be no problem :D :D ):

1. I will initiate a chain and ask for participants – 4 in addition to me, so 5 total.

2. All participants will send me 30 stamps (this is where the trust comes in :D ) - category defined by originator, say for example 30 used commemoratives. I will check them to make sure they are OK for exchange. There will be a total of 150 stamps in the chain.

3. I will decide on the order and draw up a mailing list and spreadsheet. At all times, stamps will be kept in separate envelopes labeled with the participants’ names within the larger envelope.

4. I will mail the envelope containing all the contributions to the next person in the chain. Participant #2 will select stamps from each of the participants’ envelopes and mark on the enclosed spreadsheet how many have been taken. The total number of stamps taken will be replaced by an equal number of stamps placed within Participant #2’s envelope. Then the larger envelope is mailed to the next person in the chain.

5. Each subsequent participant will repeat Step 4. Any stamps added to the chain must be added to your own labeled envelope. This way, everyone can see what everyone else is contributing, and I think people will be less likely to contribute undesirable stamps.

6. Once the chain returns to me (the originator), in addition to any stamps that I take from other participants’ envelopes, I will also remove and replace any stamps remaining in my own envelope, as these will have been seen by all participants and nobody wanted them.

7. The chain can then continue on its rounds indefinitely, as long as participants have stamps to contribute. On all subsequent rounds, participants should replace any remaining stamps in their own envelope in addition to stamps taken from the others (see Step 6). If you contributed nice stamps, there should not be many left in your envelope.

8. All notifications of sendings and receipts should be posted as usual on SB in this thread.

Thus, for an initial outlay of 30 stamps, indefinite fun can be had, and I think quality will be better when there is accountability.

Let me know what you think and if anything is not clear. If there is interest, I’d be happy to start a chain of used commemoratives, no Christmas – 30 stamps from each participant. Depending on how much interest there is, I can start a second as well with different participants. Of course, others may also want to start chains if this works well.

Jean :D

================================

***19 Oct 2014 The rules below have been updated to reflect the current rules as set out in the downloadable PDF (link above)***

1. A member (the originator) will initiate a chain and ask for 4 additional participants – 5 in total in each chain.

2. Once the chain is full, all participants should send the originator 30 stamps according to the proposed criteria (for example, 30 used commemoratives). The originator will check them to make sure they are OK for exchange. There will be a total of 150 stamps in the chain.

3. The originator will decide on the order and draw up a mailing list and spreadsheet using the downloadable Template (link above). At all times, stamps will be kept in separate envelopes labeled with the participants’ names within the larger envelope.

4. Starting with the originator, each participant will select stamps from each of the other participants’ envelopes and mark on the spreadsheet how many have been taken. The total number of stamps taken will be replaced by an equal number of stamps placed within your own envelope. The chain is then mailed to the next person on the list along with the mailing list and the spreadsheet. Dates of receipt and sending should be marked on the mailing list and a notification should be emailed to the group or posted on Stampboards.

5. Each subsequent participant will repeat Step 4. Any stamps added to the chain must be added to your own labeled envelope. This way, everyone can see what everyone else is contributing, and people will be less likely to contribute undesirable stamps.

6. After every completed circuit, the chain returns to the originator who checks the contents before sending it out on the next circuit. The order of the mailing list will change in each circuit so that every participant will receive a cover from everyone else over the course of 4 circuits.

7. In each circuit, participants whose boxes are highlighted yellow should remove and replace any remaining stamps in their own envelope, as these will have been seen by all participants and nobody wanted them. If you contributed nice stamps, there should not be many left in your envelope.

8. All notifications of sendings and receipts should be posted in this thread, or communicated to members of the chain by email, as preferred.

9. After 4 circuits have been completed, the chain is returned to the originator. The chain can be continued for another 4 circuits or ended. There should be agreement among the participants as to the way forward. If all participants agree to end the chain, the originator will return 30 stamps to each participant (selected at random from other participants' contributions). Thus, everyone will receive a cover from the originator containing 30 stamps to balance the initial investment in the chain.

Please read the Rules PDF for additional details, and contact me by email if any questions. Enjoy!

ADDENDUM added October 14, 2014:
**Just a friendly reminder to all participants - please wait until a proposed Chain is fully subscribed before sending your initial contribution to the originator. This is because when a chain is slow to fill, the content may be changed by the originator to attract more participants (for example, what happened to Chain V). Waiting until the chain is finalized will allow for more consistent content, and will avoid the problem of the originator having to return someone's contribution if the chain doesn't start (hopefully not a common scenario! :D ).

EDIT made October 19, 2014:
Clarified Step 4 above - the originator may select stamps from the initial contributions at the start of the chain. Downloadable Rules PDF also updated.

ADDENDUM April 7, 2015:
Added a new template for Chains that go more than 4 Circuits. Both templates are available to download using the links provided above.

The template for Circuits 5+ has additional yellow boxes in Circuit 5 for the originator and the 4th participant to replace their stamps. Additionally, the Starting Balance boxes at the top of the spreadsheet are editable so that the originator can carry forward the balances from Circuit 4.

Link to latest COMPLETE Chain update
Last edited by Canada stamper on 07 Jan 2019 10:22, edited 11 times in total.
Reason: Updated Rules added
Always looking for new swap partners: Swap thread (INDEX of Lots in first post)
Please visit my Colnect page for my country and thematic wish and swap lists - these are always being updated.

julesjelev
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Re: A new kind of accountable Stamp Chain

Post by julesjelev »

Jean, it is not a bad idea, but it may be a little too complicated.

The 5 envelopes with stamps from the 5 participants will have a constantly changing number of stamps in them. If, for example, I received the letter first with 150 stamps and kept the following number of stamps from each envelope 16, 12,10,20,0 (the last one is mine), then the next person in the chain will receive envelopes with the following number of stamps in them: 14,18,20,10,88 (because I kept 58 stamps and replaced them with 58 of mine)

It is a little difficult to envision how it will work before we actually try it out. :)

pookie9121
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by pookie9121 »

Doing a chain this way will double the postage per chain. As you have to send 30 stamps to the originator (1) and then you mail the letter after you receive it (2). I also imagine the 5 separate envelopes may add additional weight to the letter.

Cheers,
Erik
Enjoy every minute

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

Hi Jules

You are right. The envelope belonging to the participant just before you in the chain will usually have the largest number of stamps in it. However you will always have at least 120 stamps to choose from, and usually more if others have taken some of the stamps you contributed. The order of participants can always be changed around after each complete circuit so that participants have a chance to have first pick from different people each time.

If 4 people are willing to be pioneers, we can try it out and report our experience here to work out the kinks.

Jean
Please visit my Colnect page for my country and thematic wish and swap lists - these are always being updated.

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

pookie9121 wrote:Doing a chain this way will double the postage per chain. As you have to send 30 stamps to the originator (1) and then you mail the letter after you receive it (2). I also imagine the 5 separate envelopes may add additional weight to the letter.

Cheers,
Erik
Hi Erik

Both valid points. However, as I envision the chain continuing for more than a single circuit, it really is only one extra outlay at the beginning.

If we use glassines inside the larger envelope then we can keep the weight down. However you are correct it will weigh more, also because there will be 150 instead of 100 stamps in the letter. However you can look at it as a chance to get some nice franking on the covers!

Jean

alexisslay
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by alexisslay »

Hello Jean,

I really agree with you for this new chain model. I also understand the questions around it.
But i think that we may try to see how it evolves.
Can we also imagine some chain swap for participants? I guess people are interested in chains also because they are short and we have several different participants from different country almost each time.
I am trying also to think about people involved in a chain and who want to stop after some time because he cannot continue it. In this case, how is it managed? Stamps of this participant are sent back to him and a "ticket" is opened for another participant? This ticket is the number of stamp this person is removing from chain?

Despite my questions, i am in, i would like to try this.

Jeremy

henrik_rrb

Post by henrik_rrb »

I'm in for sure. Sounds like a great idea!

Pros:
- The quality of the stamps will no doubt be better as everyone can see who has sent what.
- If there are stamps left in your own envelope when the chain comes back it's pretty easy to find out what's popular and what's not.
- More stamps to choose from in each letter.

Suggestions:
- Once the chain is back with the chain starter (for example Canada Stamper) maybe the order should be changed? Most probably the chain will contain most stamps from the latest chain member, and after a few rounds I have a feeling Alexisslay would be quite tired of getting stamps from me, if I was the person before him. So if the order of participants during the first round would be 1-2-3-4-5 maybe the next round could be 1-3-5-2-4 and so on. It would be a bit of extra work for the person starting the chain, as the addresses would have to be printed out on a new paper in the new order, but could maybe be worth it?

I agree with Jean about the extra postage. As long as the chain goes on for some rounds that first letter will be a small investment in the long run. If the chain members also agree about using nicest postage possible it would also guarantee that everyone after a few rounds will have a pile of very nice covers too.

Thoughts about this?

Oh, and I'll be very happy to start another chain if there is interest.

/Henrik

UPDATE: I shouldn't read the forum too early in the morning... Just realised that Jean already had suggested exactly what I just did... ;)

alexisslay

Post by alexisslay »

Henrik,

I will never be tired to received stamps from you, they are always wonderful :wink:
You proposal of mixing the order of chain member is great!

Kennethsequeira
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!

Post by Kennethsequeira »

I am not good at this but I suggest the following

Why dont we have the 5 people in this order...

From Canada to US to Europe to Asia to Aus / NZ and back the same route but could be different members... we could also have South America or Africa particpants but defined order.

Members who are interested fall into the region pool and goes on
Collecting Interest: Cricket; India: Flags on stamps,
Cyprus: Obligatory Refugee Fund Tax

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

Hello and thank you everyone for your comments.
alexisslay wrote: Can we also imagine some chain swap for participants? I guess people are interested in chains also because they are short and we have several different participants from different country almost each time.
Kennethsequeira wrote: From Canada to US to Europe to Asia to Aus / NZ and back the same route but could be different members... we could also have South America or Africa particpants but defined order.
I think because of the structure of the chain and the initial investment, we would need to keep the same members in the chain, at least initially. Your initial investment really pays off more as you stay in for more circuits of the chain.

However, alexissly has another good point:
alexisslay wrote: I am trying also to think about people involved in a chain and who want to stop after some time because he cannot continue it. In this case, how is it managed? Stamps of this participant are sent back to him and a "ticket" is opened for another participant? This ticket is the number of stamp this person is removing from chain?
I can envision 2 scenarios:

Scenario 1. A single participant (let's say Mr. X) would like to stop participating in a chain after a few circuits because he/she no longer is able to contribute stamps (remember, you may need to contribute up to 150 stamps each time, depending on how many you take from other participants). In this case, during the circuits of the chain, any stamps contributed were balanced by stamps taken, so only the initial investment of 30 stamps needs to be returned. The fairest option is that once the letter returns to the originator, the originator will return any stamps remaining in Mr. X's envelope plus some stamps from participants that were in the list after Mr. X (that he has not yet seen) to make a total of 30 stamps. In the case that more than 30 stamps are remaining in Mr. X's envelope, 30 will be returned and the remaining stamps will go another circuit. If there are still stamps in Mr. X's envelope after another circuit, then the originator will replace them with fresh stamps (in the originator's own envelope, removing Mr. X's envelope). Thus, the originator returns a cover to balance the initial cover sent by Mr. X.

Also, there is now a space in the chain for a new participant. The new participant should send 30 stamps to the originator and his/her envelope will be added to the chain.

Scenario 2. After some circuits, all participants agree to discontinue the chain. This is easier to deal with. Once the letter returns to the originator, all stamps will be divided and 30 stamps will be returned to each participant (selected at random from other participants' contributions). This way, everyone will receive a cover in return from the originator containing 30 stamps to balance the initial investment.
henrik_rrb wrote: Suggestions:
- Once the chain is back with the chain starter (for example Canada Stamper) maybe the order should be changed? Most probably the chain will contain most stamps from the latest chain member, and after a few rounds I have a feeling Alexisslay would be quite tired of getting stamps from me, if I was the person before him. So if the order of participants during the first round would be 1-2-3-4-5 maybe the next round could be 1-3-5-2-4 and so on. It would be a bit of extra work for the person starting the chain, as the addresses would have to be printed out on a new paper in the new order, but could maybe be worth it?
I have given some thought to this - there should be 5 ways to do the circuit so that everyone gets a cover from a different person each time. I imagine 5 circuits would take at least 6 months, so things would not get too repetitive. I will draw up an order list template that everyone can use.

Thoughts?

From the posts above, I think we are forming the first chain:

Chain A: 30 used commemoratives, no Christmas (I am using letters to distinguish from the other Chain thread - I welcome any other suggestions for naming. We can go into double letters if necessary.)

1. Canada stamper - Canada
2. alesisslay - Czech Republic
3. henrik_rrb - Sweden

Anyone else want to try it out? :D

Jean

Ghost07
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by Ghost07 »

Hi Jean,

I think this sounds interesting ... count me in too please,

Best wishes

Mike

jeannette_NL

Post by jeannette_NL »

Hi Jean,

Yes, I'd like to give it a try too.

henrik_rrb

Post by henrik_rrb »

Canada stamper wrote: Scenario 2. After some circuits, all participants agree to discontinue the chain. This is easier to deal with. Once the letter returns to the originator, all stamps will be divided and 30 stamps will be returned to each participant (selected at random from other participants' contributions). This way, everyone will receive a cover in return from the originator containing 30 stamps to balance the initial investment.
There should be a better way than you having to send out four letters with 30 stamps in each. I have a feeling the amount of people who want to start a chain will be pretty low otherwise. ;)
Maybe the participants can take out 30 stamps during the 5th round of the chain? So let's say I take 50 stamps that I want during the last round, but I only put back 20. That would mean that you, the starter of the chain, will only get back 30 stamps in the 5th round, but at least you won't have to send out four letters with the extra postage cost that would give you.

BrewDog

Post by BrewDog »

Sounds interesting, but looks like never ending chain or it might just seem like that.
I'm sure it'll be much easier to see positive results and get more feedbacks for improving the rules after the first chain starts its journey.
So good luck with the first one.
Where have you been? Nowhere.
That's a long time to be nowhere... Well, that's where I was...

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

henrik_rrb wrote: There should be a better way than you having to send out four letters with 30 stamps in each. I have a feeling the amount of people who want to start a chain will be pretty low otherwise. ;)
Maybe the participants can take out 30 stamps during the 5th round of the chain? So let's say I take 50 stamps that I want during the last round, but I only put back 20. That would mean that you, the starter of the chain, will only get back 30 stamps in the 5th round, but at least you won't have to send out four letters with the extra postage cost that would give you.
Hi Henrik,

Thank you for your suggestion. This is another possibility. However, in this case there will be fewer and fewer stamps to select from for each successive participant in the final round. I think the way I suggested is actually fair, even to the originator, as at the beginning of the chain the originator will have received 4 covers from all the other participants to collect each person's 30 stamps for the chain, so returning 30 stamps at the end is a way to balance that. Plus don't forget that the originator will have first pick of stamps at the beginning of the chain - so that is a little incentive for people to start a chain. :wink:
BrewDog wrote:Sounds interesting, but looks like never ending chain or it might just seem like that.
Hi BrewDog

Agreed, it may seem like a "never ending chain". :D Perhaps we should specify at the outset that the chain will make a total of 4* circuits, with the order changed around each time so that every participant will eventually receive a cover from every other participant. At the end the originator will return stamps as described above.

*I made a miscalculation in my previous post - it should 4, not 5, as there are 4 other people in the chain besides yourself. :D

I do agree that this type of stamp chain may only appeal to those who are "hard-core" exchangers and have a lot of duplicate stock so they can provide a variety of stamps for swapping. However, also consider that this chain letter will take time to make the rounds, so there will be plenty of time in between to accumulate more stamps for swapping too! Also, I think people will be quite pleased with the quality of the stamps offered for exchange.

OK, sounds like there is enough interest to give this a try! :D :D

Chain A: 30 used commemoratives, no Christmas I should also add, no CTO's please

2. alexisslay - Czech Republic (sorry for the typo above!)
3. henrik_rrb - Sweden
4. Ghost07 - Scotland
5. jeannette_NL - Netherlands

This is not necessarily the order - I will post the mailing list here once I figure it out. I will email everyone with my address so you can send me 30 stamps to start the chain off. Let's specify that nice recent (say within last 5 years) commemorative stamps should be used on all covers (no discount postage please!). Hand cancels if possible would also be nice, although I know that is not always possible.

We will report in here and everyone can see how it goes. Maybe lots of scans will help people visualize how it's working...

If other people would like to try this out I can start a second chain too, same criteria.

Jean

annwiggy
I was online for post number ONE MILLION!

Post by annwiggy »

I'd be happy to be part of a second chain if it gets enough interest.
Ann

Also annwiggy on eBay.

julesjelev

Post by julesjelev »

Jean, I think we can give it a try.

I can send you an additional 30 stamps next time we exchange stamps for this new chain, if you are willing to organize that.

As to participants withdrawing, I think the way it usually happens is, a participant does not forward the letter to the next member because of family matters or another pressing event. A letter can also get lost in the mail. There is nothing we can do about it. Each of us contributes 30 more stamps and away we go. Better than losing 150. :D

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

julesjelev wrote:As to participants withdrawing, I think the way it usually happens is, a participant does not forward the letter to the next member because of family matters or another pressing event. A letter can also get lost in the mail. There is nothing we can do about it. Each of us contributes 30 more stamps and away we go. Better than losing 150. :D
Hi Jules,

I think everyone is certainly understanding when real life takes priority over our great hobby. Also letters do get lost, although thankfully that is rare. The specific situation I described in my previous post is when a participant wishes to withdraw from a chain before it has completed 4 circuits. This of course is not an issue with the current regular chain letters, but could happen in this new type of chain. I hope the solution I proposed for dealing with this situation is satisfactory.

If there are 2 other members who would like to try it out, we can start a second chain:

Chain B: 30 used commemoratives, no Christmas, no CTO's

2. annwiggy - Australia
3. julesjelev - Canada

pookie9121

Post by pookie9121 »

I will give it a shot. 8)

Cheers
Erik
Enjoy every minute

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

2. annwiggy - Australia
3. julesjelev - Canada
4. pookie9121 - USA

Let's wait for one more participant and then I will ask for 30 stamps from each to get us going. :D

Jean

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

OK I think I've worked out a circuit order that will give everyone a cover from everyone else over the 4 circuits. Here's the list for Chain A:

After 4 circuits have been completed, the chain can either continue for another 4 circuits, or if everyone agrees, we can end the chain and the originator (me in this case) will disburse 30 stamps to everyone to conclude the chain.

I will make a master template so that all the originator has to do is enter the names of the 5 participants into the spreadsheet and the circuit list will auto-fill. (I hope everyone has Microsoft excel? If not - the originator can send me the list of names and I'll be happy to generate the list.)

Ghost07

Post by Ghost07 »

Hi folks,

As well as participating in our new stamp chain I am running a little prize giveaway for June. More details can be found in the link below and it would be great to see you enter given we have a nice spread of countries here :D

Many thanks

Mike

http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=55152

Ghost07

Post by Ghost07 »

Hi Jean,

The order is fine for me,

Best wishes

Mike

alexisslay

Post by alexisslay »

Hello Jean,

Order is perfect for me, i have the great honor to be the first who will receive this new kind of chain.
Thanks again to organize this chain.

Jeremy

annwiggy

Post by annwiggy »

Looks good Jean, well done.
Ann

Also annwiggy on eBay.

Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Jean,

Please add my name to chain B. I would like to give this a try :-)

Thanks,
Alastair

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

Hi everyone. A few administrative notes.

First, Chain B has filled up, but henrik_rrb has agreed to take my place as originator of the Chain (Thanks Henrik! ). I hope everyone in the chain is ok with the change. Sorry about this and the timing is really terrible, but yesterday I found out that I have to have surgery in the next couple of weeks. :( I should be able to get Chain A going beforehand, as long as I receive everyone's letter in time, but if not then there may be a delay of a week or so. Believe me, I'm looking forward to having something to occupy myself with afterwards!

So if everyone is agreeable,

1. henrik_rrb - Sweden
2. annwiggy - Australia
3. julesjelev - Canada
4. pookie9121 - USA
5. Alastair - Luxembourg

It's probably better anyway to have participants from different countries in the chain, for more variety. Henrik will contact everyone to organize the chain.

Second, I am going to gather up all the rules and put them into a single document for easy reference. I will post this on Google Drive and ask one of the mods to put a link to it in the first post of the thread. Also, I will prepare a template spreadsheet that will have 2 different parts: (1) a main page to enter the participant's names and addresses (email and snail mail). Once the names are entered, the mailing order for the circuits will auto-fill, and this can be printed out to be included in the letter; (2) a spreadsheet on which participants should track how many stamps they are taking/adding to the various envelopes - this will allow the originator to double check the totals each circuit. A link to the spreadsheet will also be added to the first post.

Third, I just wanted to note that it is perfectly ok to put additional copies of the same stamp into your own envelope on successive circuits, as long as the first copy/copies have been taken - remember, the letter is being sent to a different participant each time, so more than one person may be interested in any particular stamp. However, any stamps remaining in your envelope when the letter returns to you have been seen by everyone, and nobody needed them, so those should be removed and replaced with different stamps. It might help for you to scan or take a picture of those for your own records, so that you will know not to put those back in on subsequent circuits.

That's it for now. Let me know if you have any further suggestions. Hopefully as Chains A and B progress, others will see how it is working and may decide to start chains of their own! :D

Jean
Last edited by Canada stamper on 31 May 2014 01:38, edited 1 time in total.

pookie9121

Post by pookie9121 »

Hi Jean. I hope everything is ok. You have to take care of yourself before stamps so I'm sure everyone understands about chain b.

Sincerely
Erik
Enjoy every minute

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

Hi Erik,

Thank you. I think everything will be fine. I felt kind of bad about it because I had just started this new kind of chain. But hopefully it's just a blip and things will get back to normal quickly.

Jean

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Jean a tiny blip in the graph of life .... hope it al goes well. :)
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

Thank you Glen for the well wishes, it's appreciated. :)

Jean

julesjelev

Post by julesjelev »

Jean, hope all is well. I will have more stamps to trade in two weeks.

Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Jean,

I hope all goes well for you and you will be back to stamps in no time...

Alastair

henrik_rrb

Post by henrik_rrb »

Emails have been sent to everyone in Chain B.

Jean, wish you a successful and calm surgery, and then a speedy recovery!

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

Thanks for the wishes everyone! :)

I've made up a template Excel file which has 2 tabs. The first worksheet is the mailing list and the second worksheet is the spreadsheet for tracking the stamps throughout the circuit. The originator just has to fill in the Stampboards ID, name, email and mailing address of the participants on the first worksheet, along with the Chain name and contents, and the rest will auto-fill.

Here's what it will look like for Chain A (I've only filled in the Stampboards IDs here):

Mailing list:

Spreadsheet:

Only the grey boxes will be editable, the rest is locked. I'm not sure how tatty the spreadsheet will get as the chain goes around, so the originator has the option to type in the tracked numbers on the Excel sheet and print out a new sheet for each circuit.

What does everyone think? Any suggestions for changes? I'm going to send this to Henrik to make sure it's user-friendly. As I mentioned above, once finalized I will ask one of the mods to put a link to the Excel file in the first post of this thread so that anyone wanting to start a chain can use it.

Jean
Last edited by Canada stamper on 01 Jun 2014 08:13, edited 2 times in total.

pookie9121

Post by pookie9121 »

That looks good Jean.

Cheers
Erik
Enjoy every minute

annwiggy

Post by annwiggy »

henrik_rrb wrote:Emails have been sent to everyone in Chain B.

Jean, wish you a successful and calm surgery, and then a speedy recovery!

My 30 stamps are on their way Henrik and yes my best wishes to Jean.
Ann

Also annwiggy on eBay.

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

Hmm - one thing that just occurred to me looking at the mailing list again is that maybe instead of crossing off names, we should have spaces to fill in date received and date sent under each person's name in the Circuit lists. Let me work on that...

OK here's what that would look like:

I think this will be neater than having a whole lot of crossed out names, and we'll be able to see what the transit times are.

Alastair

Post by Alastair »

That looks great, Jean.

I would just like to make a suggestion re rule 3 on page 1. I think it would be more practical to indicate reception/forwarding of the packet by email. The originator could send an email to the four other participants when the packet is first sent out. Then people would just have to "reply to all" with the reception/forwarding date and all the people concerned would be informed, and only the people concerned.

As there will be at least 40 messages per chain, this would avoid cluttering up this thread. Also, such messages are not interesting to people not involved in a given chain who read this thread.

Your thoughts?

Alastair

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

Alastair wrote:I would just like to make a suggestion re rule 3 on page 1. I think it would be more practical to indicate reception/forwarding of the packet by email. The originator could send an email to the four other participants when the packet is first sent out. Then people would just have to "reply to all" with the reception/forwarding date and all the people concerned would be informed, and only the people concerned.

As there will be at least 40 messages per chain, this would avoid cluttering up this thread. Also, such messages are not interesting to people not involved in a given chain who read this thread.
Hi Alastair

I think this is a reasonable suggestion. I was simply following the practice on the original stamp chain thread. However, I think it would be fine to track progress through group emails. Perhaps the originator could post here at the completion of each circuit, just to say "All OK" or report any issues. That will also give this thread a little bump once in a while :wink: . And of course participants can post any time if there are questions or problems.

For Chain A, I may report here a bit more as the chain progresses as this is a new format, so others can see if/how it is working.

One more minor note. At times a participant may need to add quite a lot of stamps into his/her own envelope, depending on how many stamps are taken, so it may be practical to add a second glassine labeled with his/her name to avoid too much bulkiness. Participants can make adjustments to the envelopes as needed. Also, given that there will be 2 sheets of paper going around with the stamps, I don't think any additional stiffener should be necessary, or only a very thin one perhaps to help keep things in place. That should help to keep the overall weight down.

Any other thoughts?

Jean

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

Received your contribution today Jeannette. :D

Once the rest arrive Chain A will be on its way.

Jean

Canada stamper

Re: A new kind of accountable Stamp Exchange Chain

Post by Canada stamper »

Links to a summary of the rules in PDF format and a template Excel file for generating the mailing list and spreadsheet have now been added to the first post of the thread. :D

Jean

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

alexisslay's letter arrived today for Chain A.

Naomi and I will have to arm wrestle for the stamps on the cover :lol: :lol: (but she will win :D )

Jean

alexisslay

Post by alexisslay »

Hello Jean,

We remember that you like animal stamps so we choose these one specially for you and your daughter.
They are quite hard to find now here.
I am happy that you got my letter and that you are pleased with stamps.

Jeremy

Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Jean,

The PDF file is totally unreadable for me, though the Excel looks OK.
I used the links in the first post.

Alastair

alexisslay

Post by alexisslay »

Alastair,

I tried to read pdf file and i got no issue.
Maybe it can be good to have feedback of other to understand why you can't read it.

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

Alastair

Were you able to download the PDF file from the link? What program are you using to open it after download?

Jean

Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Jean,

Thanks for sending me the PDF. It works fine.

At work, where I tried the link in the 1st post, I get two pages full of 'fl' and 'ffl' ligatures, commas and cedillas. I just tried tha link from my home computer and it works fine. The difference is perhaps that at work I have to use Internet Explorer, but at home I use Google Chrome!

Thanks for your help,
Alastair

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

I'm glad it's all OK Alastair. Actually Dropbox is blocked for me at work, so I have to do this all from home. :D

Jean

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

Henrik's stamps arrived today. :D

Just waiting on Ghost07's letter now. :)

Jean

Return to “SWAP your stamps and covers with other collectors Worldwide - or GIVE them away FREE!”