New Zealand to issue new banknote designs, Oct. 2015

A *LARGE* percentage of stamp collectors also collect various numismatic areas. This is YOUR little corner of the board to ask questions, seek advice, check values, and chat. Please join in!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

stampmogul
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!

New Zealand to issue new banknote designs, Oct. 2015

Post by stampmogul »

Next October (ten months away) the New Zealand treasury will be replacing all the designs of their banknotes.

Criminals will have to exchange their hordes of hidden banknotes for the new ones, or sell the crisp copies to collectors. No good being lumbered with so much unexplained cash.

Reserve Bank unveils new banknotes.

The banknote is getting a makeover for the first time in 15 years, and although the same well-known faces will remain, security features have been beefed up.

Today the Reserve Bank announced it will be releasing new designs of New Zealand bank notes, which will come into circulation from October next year.

The last banknote upgrade was in 1999. While the new designs will feature all the same well-known faces, including Sir Edmund Hillary and Kate Sheppard, the new designs and colours will be more vibrant.

The text of the number value of each note will be much bolder and brighter.

The shape, size and feel of the notes will also remain the same.

However, the new notes will contain more sophisticated security features.

These include holographic features that will help to make the notes easy to verify, but much harder to counterfeit.

The transparent windows that feature in the current banknotes will also be much larger in the new designs, featuring a greater level of both design and security.

More details about these features would be revealed closer to the time the banknotes were released.

The notes were at the forefront of technology, Reserve Bank deputy-governor Geoff Bascand said.

Mr Bascand said counterfeit rates were low in New Zealand compared with the rest of the world, but technology changes were making counterfeiting easier.

The new notes would allow New Zealand to stay ahead of the game, he said.

They will be released progressively, with the target date for the release of the $5 and $10 notes for October 2015.

The new $20, $50 and $100 notes would be released in April 2016.

Both current notes and the new notes will be circulated together as legal tender, and the Reserve Bank expected it would take 12-18 months for the majority of notes in circulation to be new.

Last edited by CMJ on 27 Feb 2018 03:56, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Added pars and spacing and air!
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: New Zealand to issue issuing new banknote designs, Oct.

Post by Global Administrator »

PLEASE add the original news hotlink to these stories. Thanks

Pretty looking set. :mrgreen:

Few realise it but the Polymer Plastic notes much of the world is now using such as these, is patented by Note Printing Australia and anyone who uses it needs to pay them a licence fee for the base substate.

We had the world's first Polymer currency in 1988 - 26 years back, and it lasts several times longer than paper notes.
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!
Allanswood
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by Allanswood »

Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

I did some research and find that Canada seems to have perfected a way to do such notes, that does not infringe the NPA/CSIRO Patent of the polymer base substrate, that until then only Australia had mastered -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymer_banknote
aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

When Canada's polymer $100 was released, people were saying it smells like maple syrup. :lol:

I had some of the notes a couple weeks ago, and was getting addicted to smelling them...they did have a smell resembling the boiled tree sweat...but as they were brand-new notes, I assume that's just the smell of the polymer.

Do kiwi fruit have a smell that could be given to the kiwi-green $20? :mrgreen:
Collecting Mongolia; Thailand; Indo-China; Mourning Covers; OHMS.
ewen s
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!

Post by ewen s »

Yes but look who you'd be sniffing!

I know people kick up a stink about the Queen not allowing a true portrait of her but that note really shows her age.

All the famous New Zealanders are shown in their prime, why do we insist Queen Elizabeth be portrayed in her dotage?
aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

ewen s wrote:All the famous New Zealanders are shown in their prime, why do we insist Queen Elizabeth be portrayed in her dotage?
Are the famous figures shown at the age they did the body of their work? Hilary was a young man when he climbed Everest, so its appropriate to show him as such. Whereas the job of monarch never ends.
ewen s

Re: New Zealand to issue new banknote designs, Oct. 2015

Post by ewen s »

I didn't think of that, but surely becoming Queen is the biggest achievement. I reckon apart from Ed and the Queen the others are just the best photos taken of the subject.

Rutherford was in his 30s when he won his Nobel prize but in his 60s when he split the atom. Kate Sheppard is 58 in the photo, taken 12 years after she won the right to vote for women in 1893. Ngata looks to be closer to when he became the first Maori to achieve a LLB, than when he became a cabinet minister.

I do like the notes though.
Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

The rest are all dead and an image can be used showing them off around the time of their achievements as "how people remembered them". For the same reason they don't use the baby photo's of them as they would not be recognised!
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"
ewen s

Post by ewen s »

I like how the $20 shows the Queen next to the 'hive.

But it looks like Sir Ed's famous Massey-Ferguson tractor has been left off the $5.
Craig
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by Craig »

I find it interesting they have decided to include a Maori translation of "Reserve Bank" (at least I assume that is what it is). I am not aware of it having been included previously
Cheers,
Craig
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

ewen s wrote:
But it looks like Sir Ed's famous Massey-Ferguson tractor has been left off the $5.
Darn shame!

I sold this autographed cover here showing his Tractor.

"Savage Cold Could Halt Fuchs"

Always wanted to use that heading! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Signed by Sir Edmund Hillary. At the time he had just reached the South Pole on Jan 4, 1958, mightily annoying Sir Vivian Fuchs and the entire team, who was SUPPOSED to have got there first. Hillary claims the messages ordering him to stop short of the Pole never got to him. :mrgreen:

https://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/january/4/newsid_4051000/4051107.stm

I've never seen a signed cover before.

The cover is cancelled Jan 20, 1958 the day FUCHS arrived after being snowed in for weeks. Hillary's achievement was swept aside somewhat by history and the PO.

This cover is for the actual Expedition – the FIRST DAY cover is rather common, and was issued the year before of course.

Hillary was the first man to reach the role since Captain Robert Falcon Scott in 1912, who famously died getting back to base. His sidekick Lawrence Oates quietly sacrificed his share of the scant remaining food and medical supplies by walking out into the Blizzard to his death saying to Scott, according to his Diary,: "I am just going outside and may be some time".

Hillary and Fuchs headed off from different sides of Antarctica, and Hillary was supposedly a back up to arrive carrying fuel, so Fuchs could get back safely and triumphantly.

For someone who had very recently conquered Everest, Hillary was playing second fiddle to NO-ONE! Especially Sir Vivian Fuchs. 8)

Cancelled Ross Base Jan 20, with the full Ross Dependency definitive set, and in LOVELY shape for 55 years old.

The Ross cover above celebrated a rather interesting Expedition.

Anyone who has ever read the battle of wits and politics with Fuchs and Hillary to reach the South Pole on that 1958 Antarctic crossing, will smile at Hillary’s cheekiness. :D

Hillary said later he "seemed to mislay some scraps of paper with messages on them".

Quite typically, he also wrote testily in his memoirs: "If an explorer in the field always waited for permission from his Committee back home, then nothing would get done, or it would be done too late".

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/01/11/whillary611.xml

I loved the TRUE and very clever double entendre English newspaper headline of that time

"Sir Vivian Fuchs off Again"

And genuine headlines of this Expedition from The Guardian -

"Savage Cold Could Halt Fuchs" (12 January 1958), "Sir Vivian Fuchs At Palace" (16 May 1958), and my favourite, "Sir Vivian Fuchs For Antarctic" (6 December 1963).

https://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardian/2010/feb/14/newspaper-headlines-style-cliches
ewen s

Post by ewen s »

Lot 789 in the upcoming Philatelics auction has a cover signed by both knights! I'm sure this little collection will go for well above the $75 estimate.
Collection of 44 MLH stamps and 18 covers from 1948 to 1972, on annotated album leaves including Ross Dependency 1958 cover signed by Sir Edmund Hillary and Sir Vivian Fuchs and a range of Base and Expedition covers.
https://www.stampboards.com/images/philatelicscomau/my_catalo ... MS&aid=142

beerwagen
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by beerwagen »

Lord Rutherford was a Nobel Prize winner in chemistry.
British Commonwealth philately - Aden to Zululand
Craig

Post by Craig »

beerwagen wrote:Lord Rutherford was a Nobel Prize winner in chemistry.
Yes, and famous for the quote "All science is either physics or stamp collecting"
Cheers,
Craig
ewen s

Post by ewen s »

Craig

Post by Craig »

12 October is the official public release date for the new $5 and $10. Had a peek at them today. A colleague was impressed by them but I wasn't. Seemed a bit too like the Aussie notes for my liking. Certainly different to our current notes.
Cheers,
Craig
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Craig wrote:Seemed a bit too like the Aussie notes for my liking. Certainly different to our current notes.
They should have waited and popped the new flag on. :mrgreen:
HKStampsGuru
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!

Post by HKStampsGuru »

Can I request our Kiwi members to post a photo of the banknotes when they are out, please... thanks!
Mint, or used?
aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

HKStampsGuru wrote:Can I request our Kiwi members to post a photo of the banknotes when they are out, please... thanks!
The opening post (now?) has a photo of all the notes.
aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

It might just be coincidence, but Canada's $20 is also green, and also has the Queen (she was on the $1 and $2 before they became coins, and on the $1000 before that was logically dumped; the other values have Prime Minister's).

Also probably coincidence, Hong Kong's $100 is also red. Interestingly, HK and Macau both have their own notes, and they're issued by banks. But the colours are mixed around...HK's $500 is brown, but that colour is used for Macau's $50...a costly error if one has both notes in their wallet and doesn't pay attention to which they hand over, and the vendor is unscrupulous with the change. :oops:
HKStampsGuru

Post by HKStampsGuru »

aethelwulf wrote:
HKStampsGuru wrote:Can I request our Kiwi members to post a photo of the banknotes when they are out, please... thanks!
The opening post (now?) has a photo of all the notes.
I hope to see the real notes, if possible.
Mint, or used?
Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

The $5 and $10 notes were released yesterday and apparently the rest will come out in 2016. I haven't seen them yet, but once I get them, I will post an image of them here.

Real notes always look less glamorous than the designs.
njcook13
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by njcook13 »

I love the red $100 note, I think it looks awesome! Not sold on the smiling queen on the 20 though, she looks a bit scary if you ask me! :lol:
Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

After nearly 2 months or so, I finally have a $5, or had it, one of my flatmates took it today.

The roll out is very slow and only happening as banks need more stocks of $5 and $10 notes, as both have limited value and use, this has been slow.

Not because of that as well, the EFTPOS debit card system here has been entrenched since the 1980s and nearly everything is paid for by cards, we are almost a cashless society and cash usually means coins and $20s which will not be replaced until next year.

I would say 99% of the $5 and $10 in circulation are still the old (1999) ones.
ewen s

Post by ewen s »

I forgot about this thread! Was visiting family in Rangiora this month and received a few at a local pub, The Plough. Should have taken a photo :oops:

Apparently the punters don't like them as the pokie machines have difficulty reading them.
Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

ewen s wrote:I didn't think of that, but surely becoming Queen is the biggest achievement. I reckon apart from Ed and the Queen the others are just the best photos taken of the subject.

Rutherford was in his 30s when he won his Nobel prize but in his 60s when he split the atom. Kate Sheppard is 58 in the photo, taken 12 years after she won the right to vote for women in 1893. Ngata looks to be closer to when he became the first Maori to achieve a LLB, than when he became a cabinet minister.

I do like the notes though.

I can tell you now, that the portrait of Sir Apirana Ngata dates from 1914, when he was 40 and the MP for Eastern Maori. He was in parliament until his death in 1950 and did not change much in appearance, except that by the late 1920s his black hair went grey.

The portrait of the Queen looks unchanged from the 1999 one when she was 72/73.
Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

ewen s wrote:I forgot about this thread! Was visiting family in Rangiora this month and received a few at a local pub, The Plough. Should have taken a photo :oops:

Apparently the punters don't like them as the pokie machines have difficulty reading them.

You have family in Rangiora too? :D I am staying with my Auntie in Southbrook next week!
ewen s

Post by ewen s »

My sister and her family moved there after the quakes. Hadn't been there for years; it's really taken off.
Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

Yes about 15,000 people now. My Aunty and her family had been living there since 1996. Interestingly before then they lived in Bromley, a part of Christchurch that was in the red zone and their new (1990s) house they had there has now been demolished.

Ironically the place I used to live in, Rolleston had a population of 900 when I left there in 1997, now it has 13,000 and has been growing since 2000 and the erathquakes have ensured more growth.
Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

I have to say, even now these are still scarce, I have seen 4 or 5 $5 notes so far and no $10s, this is some 14 weeks after their release.
Peteski76
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by Peteski76 »

I'm heading to NZ in a couple of days and I got a few kiwi dollars today, including a couple of new $5 notes, see below for both sides of the $5 note:

Peter
Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

Finally I can show a set of the 3 low values. Peterski has already shown a $5, but here I have it and a $10 and a $20

I have blanked out serial numbers, in case of forgers using the images (Has happened in the past).

The notes have serial numbers with 2 letter, and then the first two numbers are the year of issue (15 = 2015, 16 = 2016) and then 6 digits after that.

Back of the notes, notice the nice ultraviolet watermarks. The $5 and $10 came out in October last year, the $20 emerged with the the $50 and $100 on May 25th, however I have only seen this $20 and one man who had two new $50s from a cash machine in Huntly on June 11th.

The new notes are very slow to roll out and could take 2 years!!! Even now only ¼ of the $5 and $10 in circulation are new and probably under 5% of $20s are new ones. The $50 is seldom used and the $100 almost never.

Other changes are bigger numbers and of course the use of the Maori name for New Zealand - Aotearoa and the bank name in Maori too - Te Putea Matua.

Hope you all like :D
Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

Craig wrote:I find it interesting they have decided to include a Maori translation of "Reserve Bank" (at least I assume that is what it is). I am not aware of it having been included previously

Ah, believe it or not, some of us here speak Te Reo Maori and it is actually an official language of New Zealand. Of course certain people will always have problems with that.

Kapai te pepa nga wharemoni o Niu Tireni, Kapai te Putea Matua, he tino ataahua te moni pepa.

(Good for the Bank of New Zealand, Reserve Bank, the paper money looks very beautiful).

I know the money is polymer but Te Reo is yet to come up with a word for polymer. Like most things that Maori have encountered since colonisation and forced occupation, we make up words that sound like the English ones (Whakapakehatia - transliterations) in the Maori grammar - so it will likely be something like Porimia.
Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

After an eternity, I have tracked down a $100. It seems the banks now have these new tellers where cash only pops up through a computer command and we tried 3 times before a new $100 popped up!

Earlier posts show the smaller notes, so here is the $20, $50 and $100 again. I have blanked out serial numbers to stop forgers. But these are 3 letter serials, followed by year number (16) and a 7 digit note number.

The lower notes are smaller than the $100. These are hard to get and the one I has burn marks (Holes)on one side and writing on Lord Rutherfords head.

The $50 are quite common now, as these are dispensed from most ATMs and are taking over as workhorses from $20 slowly. That note is still the most common with some 300 million entering circulation each year. Compare this to maybe 30 million $50 and less than 2 million $100s.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Princestamps wrote:I have blanked out serial numbers to stop forgers.
You ARE kidding right? :roll:
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!
aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

Princestamps wrote:I have blanked out serial numbers to stop forgers.
Time it took on Google to find a much better-quality image of the $100 than your scan: 2 seconds.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Yes the Mafia is in the regular habit of using princestamps super low rez tiny scans as a template for their next fake run.

He'll be telling us next, they have micro-printing on their money. 8)
Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

Your gratitude has been received.

I have my reasons.
Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

Looking at the currency now, I would say there are more of the new notes out than old. Getting $100 or $200 out of an ATM usually reveals about 4 or 5 old notes and the same new ones. Sometimes, all new and sometimes all old.

All notes issued in Polymer have date years on them (Last 2 digits so 1999 = 99, 2002 = 02, 2013 = 13 etc), ranging from 99 to 16. The last series of old notes was 12, 13 or 14 depending on the denomination. Most of the old ones are these, but I have seen many 99's or 02's as well, still in nice condition after 15 or 20 years. When it was paper, a note would be lucky to last 2 years unless it was a $100.

Another way to date them is Governor signature.

Anything before 2006 is from serial racist troll Don Brash, 2006 to 2012 is Alan Bollard and 2013 - 2016 is Graeme Wheeler. the new series with Adrian Orr's signaturer has not been released yet.

Of the new notes there has still only been the first series, 15s for the $5 and $10 and 16s for the highest notes, but 18's with Orr's signature are due.
Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

An update now of this situation is that.

Most of the banknotes in circulation now are new ones. I would say 90% of $5 and $10s are new (Mainly as these wear quicker) and a good 75% of $20s. I have not handled many $50s or $100s, but would say the ratio is lower, maybe half and half for the 50 and mostly old ones for the $100s which really have limited circulation except amongst drug dealers and the casino :lol: .

There are still no notes with Orr's signature and the newest notes are still 2016s. There has been no release of new coins except the 50c Armistice coin, which all but disappeared into coin collectors and Speculators on Trade Me :P

An article last week said that cash money makes up only 2% of all the "money" in New Zealand, just $6 billion worth of Notes and coins exist, yet some $300 billion exists on paper (New Zealand Dollars).
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Well at least the NZ ones are bright.

The lazy sods here issued a new design $50 (on left), and used the same 2 people that have been on them for decades. Talk about total lack of imagination. :roll:
Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

Umm, its the same with us since the 1992 paper series

$5 - Sir Edmund Hillary (Mountain Climber)
$10 - Kate Sheppard (Suffragette)
$20 - The Queen
$50 - Sir Apirana Ngata (Maori Politician)
$100 - Sir Ernest Rutherford (Scientist who split the atom)

The Queens portrait has been updated slightly since 1992, but the others are merely retouched and made sharper with the newer series.

Series 5 Banknotes 1992/93 - Introduced these designs and were in paper

Series 6 Polymer 1999/2000 - The same portraits but with sharper detail and an older looking Her Majesty

Series 7 Polymer 2015/16 - Same but with close up of faces and brighter and sharper numbers, design features and addition of Maori Language on notes.

Oh and for our notes

Series 1 - 1934 Notes with Lefeaux signature and Maori King Tawhiao on them, back merely design with value and cartouches (10/- £1 £5 £10)

Series 2 - 1940 Notes with 3 different signatures, Captain Cook on front, various scenic scenes on back (As above but with addition of £10 value)
Security strips added around 1960.

Series 3 - 1967 Notes printed by De La Rue, decimal, all have Queen with the high pointed Tiara on them and a bird on back ($1, $2, $5, $10, $20, $100)- 5 signatures over 1967 - 1979 period

Series 4 - 1980 Notes printed by Bradbury Wilkinson in Whangarei - Queen faces forward with updated portrait. Design same on back, but with some modernised devices around numbers and softer colouring.
$50 added in 1983. This series ended in 1991 and the plant was closed down.
$1 and $2 notes not printed after 1989 and withdrawn in Feb 1991.
Craig

Post by Craig »

More of the new notes are released over the Christmas period when demand for cash is higher. The new 20s and 50s were still 2016 dates, I didn't pay attention to the 100s. Coins were as old as 2015.
Cheers,
Craig
Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

2016 50 cent pieces have been released though, have a roll of them now. All were uncirculated with great mint bloom.

I buy rolls so I have change for stamp club auction sales.

The 10c and 20c are still 2015s (2016 and 2019 have been minted according to Numista).

Cash is dying.
stampmogul

Post by stampmogul »

You say "cash is dying"

Years ago they said the same thing about cheques, but they are still with us & I use my cheque book when appropriate (especially to avoid paying 3% surcharge on credit card payments at stamp auctions and the like). True, cheques are being phased out, but they are still useful.

I pay tradesmen with cash (to suit us both) and make my meagre finances stretch further. Governments clamp down on cash transactions for their reasons, & the public have reasons to keep using coins & notes. Being retired, with only savings to live on, you appreciate all "discounts".
Craig

Post by Craig »

New $50 notes with Adrian Orr's signature have been released. The ones I have seen are dated 2018. I will show a pic Monday /Tuesday
Cheers,
Craig
Craig

Post by Craig »

New Zealand $50 2018 banknote Adrian Orr

Cheers,
Craig
Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

Lucky, got 6 $50's in past week and 4 were old series and 2 of them 2016s. Must be going to the wrong ATMs.

Return to “Coins, Banknotes, tokens, medals and all things NUMISMATIC!”