Best W.A. Catalogue IMHO.

There are some superb and incredibly useful reference books, and catalogues out there. And tools to measure perforations or paper thickness or LED magnifiers etc Please add your new discoveries - and recommendations to this forum. As in all forums, you can post photos of your favourites and recommendations.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

punter
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Best W.A. Catalogue IMHO.

Post by punter »

Just been reading thru this thread and found no mention of what I think is the best Cat. for WA stamps.
It's "Philately from WESTERN AUSTRALIA" by Mogens Juhl published in 1992 and now out of print. Author is deceased. Comes up in auction from time to time.
If used with current SG, I think it's the best you'll get. The WA book published by the Study Group contains a lot of background stuff but it is hard to follow chronologically.
Being terribly biased, I think WA is the easiest and best state to collect. At least you can make some sense out it all unlike- oops I better not say.
Stefy
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by Stefy »

Hi Punter

I must keep an eye out for this catalogue. Whereabouts are you in WA?

Cheers :D
punter

WA Cat.

Post by punter »

Hi Stefy,
I live in North Fremantle.
punter
ozstamps
PLATINUM Shooting Star *10,000* Posts!
PLATINUM Shooting Star  *10,000* Posts!

Post by ozstamps »

Mogens Juhl wrote a SERIES of Books on WA.

The WA stamp "establishment" never liked him. :oops:

He told me some amazing stories I can't repeat here!
punter

WA Cat.

Post by punter »

Yeah I know all about Mogens Juhl and the so called WA Philatelic Establishment.

We were corresponding up till the time he died.

In my signed copy of his catalogue, he thanked me for giving him the push to produce the work after I had suggested we needed a chronological cat that was easy to follow and flowed in a logical manner and I thought he should do it. I think his work does just that.

punter
Greg Ioannou
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by Greg Ioannou »

It is interesting to compare Juhl's listings with the information in the WA Study Group books. They often disagree, and I've found that when that happens there are two possibilities: Juhl was right, or they were both wrong.

It is a great field for further study. Lots of unexplored issues, and you'll find real rarities cheaply if you're willing to put in the time studying the stamps.

And lots of good postmarks on cheap stamps, too.

Greg
punter

Post by punter »

Greg I wasn't decrying the WA Study Group - I am a member myself and between all the members I'm sure nobody in the world knows more about WA.

The collecting of WA postmarks is very, very popular. I have just received a local auction where the postmarks on many cheap stamps are estimated from $10 to $100 and I know some would cost you a lot more than that.

Yes Mogens and the group had a clash of personalities both sides being very well educated and strong willed. I'll leave it at that.
Greg Ioannou

Post by Greg Ioannou »

I think there's an awful lot to be discovered about the stamps too. My experience, which to date has been limited to a relatively few issues, is that there are many unlisted watermarks and shades, and nothing is ever quite as simple as the reference books would lead you to think.

I've spent the most time with the 1854s, which have far more complex shades and paper/watermark varieties than anyone says. It sometimes felt like every second stamp I studied was some plate/shade/watermark combination that the books said didn't exist.

I've posted these before, but they show what I'm talking about:

As well, the Commonwealth-era ones start to make sense when you look at them with Juhl at your side, but there seems a lot more to discover.

I have oceans of material in between those two extremes. For now, I'm just accumulating it for further study.

Greg
punter

Post by punter »

Greg, I'm no expert on the 4d.blue but as far as I am aware, the position of w/mark hasn't been of great interest as any variation is just the work of the poor old labourer who put the sheet of paper on the lithographic stone the wrong way around.

There were no "plates". The workers weren't necessarily the sharpest tool in the shed you know.

The colour differences seem to appear from different printings and probably varies on how the ink was mixed and made up, possibly days apart for the one printing, and the way the stamp was stuck on the envelope.

Some people used their own concoctions, not just the glue offered at the PO. Mint stamps are really the only true way to judge most colour varieties.

Juhl talks about this in the last pages of his catalogue.
stampmate
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

WA Postmarks

Post by stampmate »

Hi Punter, you mentioned in an above post WA Postmarks. Can you recommend for me a reference for postmarks and their rarity. I have mainly KHV 1d reds,
ewen s
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!

Re: WA Cat.

Post by ewen s »

punter wrote:Hi Stefy,
I live in North Fremantle.
punter
Punter,

Are you a member of the Freo group that meets at the bowling club? I was thinking of popping in next week.

Regards,

Ewen
punter

Post by punter »

Hi stampmate,
There is a series of publications put out by the WA Study Group, in installments called The WA Postal Markings Illustrated -PMI for short. They started back in 1984 and published them alphabetically as they were completed a bit at a time which when finished up they made a complete loose leaf book..
I think it is complete now - not sure.
Don't know if it's available now.
Check with Brian Pope at PO Box 423 Claremont WA 6910 or www.wastudtgroup.com or [email protected] He should be able to help.
Cheers, punter
punter

Post by punter »

Hi Ewen,
Yes, the meeting is on 12th. November. I've sent you an email with more detail.
punter
AndrewWalker

Post by AndrewWalker »

ewen s

Post by ewen s »

punter wrote:Hi Ewen,
Yes, the meeting is on 12th. November. I've sent you an email with more detail.
punter
Thanks Punter,

Email received and replied to.

Cheers,

Ewen :)
wilbaer
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Re: Best W.A. Catalogue IMHO.

Post by wilbaer »

punter wrote: 29 May 2008 15:36 Just been reading thru this thread and found no mention of what I think is the best Cat. for WA stamps.
It's "Philately from WESTERN AUSTRALIA" by Mogens Juhl published in 1992 and now out of print. Author is deceased. Comes up in auction from time to time.
If used with current SG, I think it's the best you'll get. The WA book published by the Study Group contains a lot of background stuff but it is hard to follow chronologically.
Being terribly biased, I think WA is the easiest and best state to collect. At least you can make some sense out it all unlike- oops I better not say.
I was just researching a way of hunting down the Juhl's publications and came upon your thread, Punter.... I have Juhl's "Philately from Western Australia" but not his Red book "Postage Stamps and Postal History of Western Australia" .... do you or anyone have a copy of this that I could purchase ?

Return to “Knowledge really is POWER in this hobby! Catalogues, journals and reference books.”