MEDALS AND TOKENS... Show us your stuff and stick em up here

A *LARGE* percentage of stamp collectors also collect various numismatic areas. This is YOUR little corner of the board to ask questions, seek advice, check values, and chat. Please join in!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Londonbus1
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by Londonbus1 »

Hi Skippy,

Sent the scan to a Freemason.

This is old Hebrew Script. My daughter just had a go and says it does not make much sense to her...."It's from the bible".

The wife is sleeping so will test her in the morning.

Failing that, one of our older residents will receive this in her inbox.

I hope tomorrow we will have an answer......I can try to wake Richard up too............

Isn't this just a great place to be.

Londonbus1........Off to wake up Golovacz
Skippy
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by Skippy »

Gosh Thanks Londonbus 1

sorry doug222usa I didn't even think of measuring it :oops:
I was too busy cropping the photos to get them in the one picture :lol:

36mm diameter
4mm thick
these photos might be easier to see the writing

ozstamps
PLATINUM Shooting Star *10,000* Posts!
PLATINUM Shooting Star  *10,000* Posts!

Post by ozstamps »

Quite superb scans!
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!
Skippy

Post by Skippy »

Thanks !

It's my husbands Nikon coolpix digital camera

The first pics were taken with an Olympus C-120, great for happy snaps but not real good on macro, compared to the Nikon
I think I'll swap cameras :lol:
doug2222usa

Excellent scans,

Post by doug2222usa »

And, this should dispel the "nose flute" idea. I am eager to know what this token is and what it says.

I say token because it does not appear to have a date or denomination, although Jewish pieces can have the date in alphabetical letters.

Glen, look in your Krause coin catalog at "Hebrew Coin Dating" at the start of the Israeli listings.

The fact that there is no cross on the token makes me think it is not Jesus depicted. But we'll see.

It could also be a recognition piece for European Jews who joined the Crusades.

Surely one of our 1300+ members knows all about this!
doug2222usa

Nikon Camera

Post by doug2222usa »

Would you kindly give us the model number (and settings) of the camera used to produce these images? Brownie's microscope is much cheaper, but I'm still concerned that its images are too big for convenient eBay use.
Skippy

Post by Skippy »

Would you kindly give us the model number (and settings) of the camera used to produce these images? Brownie's microscope is much cheaper, but I'm still concerned that its images are too big for convenient ebay use.
doug2222usa, these Images were very big, I quickly reduced the .jpg size in windows Paint (easiest way in a hurry)

The Camera settings are automatic, I just point and shoot after choosing the maco option.
Sorry if this is no help but I don't know much about cameras.

written on the camera is....
Nikon Coolpix 5900
5.1 megapixels
3x zoom

this camera is a few years old, there would be better ones on the market I'd imagine

What is a Brownies Mocroscope ?
Skippy

Post by Skippy »

sorry I should start a new topic about images I guess,

Just wanted to quickly show you how big it would have been if I hadn't of reduced the image, so it would fit on the forum.

here I've cut a piece out of the original Photo

showing the nose flute :wink:

Skippy

Post by Skippy »

Just to add: these were taken indoors so the automatic flash fired off.

If I take some pics outside it might not look so silver.
In reality its dark and bronzy looking.
Skippy

Post by Skippy »

Sorry, one more pic

heres a photo taken outside.

Not much different than using the flash indoors, just reduces the shine a bit.

Thanks for showing some interest everybody :D

I'll stop overloading the board with my posts and take a break for today :wink:

cheers,

Skippy
doug2222usa

Hebrew Token

Post by doug2222usa »

No, this has been a valuable service on your part. I am fascinated with the token, but greatly impressed by the images.

Notice the ant at 11 o'clock on your outdoors shot...
Skippy

Post by Skippy »

:lol: Yes I waited for him to crawl in view 8)
ozstamps

Post by ozstamps »

Skippy wrote:
I'll stop overloading the board with my posts and take a break for today :wink:

cheers,

Skippy
Skippy -- superb sharpness it really is.

Bulletin Boards only work when folks post things. Trust me. 8)

You cannot overload a board like this - they can accept 100,000 new posts a day with ease!

Post and much and as often as you wish. :D
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!
Londonbus1

Post by Londonbus1 »

Going round to visit one of our very learned older neighbours shortly...hope she can shed some light on the letters on the face-side...a very interesting arrow from the left hand letter...

In Hebrew, Jesus is yeshu, 3 hebrew letters and when I first saw the 'Nose Flute' in the latest pics [excellent by the way, well done Skippy] I thought it may be the spelling but the arrow I have not seen before.......but then I saw the letter behind the head, the first letter of the alphabet...Aleph !!

Negative on the Freemason's theory.

More later.

LB1
Londonbus1

Post by Londonbus1 »

When trying to translate from this Old Hebrew it is not so easy.
I have just spent an enjoyable half hour with one of my most learned neighbours.
This is what we came up with regarding the words and letters.
I will be sending the scan to the Israel Museum in Tel Aviv later if this is OK with Skippy.

The side with Jesus first...if that is who it is, and it could well be. This is the Top side of the 'Token' as you will see.
The figure seperates the letter 'Aleph' and two other letters which together translate to the word 'man'. The arrow on the last letter [Don't forget we are reading from right to left] is a sign to turn the token over and continue reading, much like you would a book.
Now to the other side.

the top word is a little confusing. The letters are worn in a number of places and we were both of the opinion that it was poorly engraved with the lettering being so inconsistent.
So that top word could mean Throw/to throw/throwing....or Kill/To Kill/Killing. There maybe other possibilities.

The rest MAY read as follows:
King comes as peace and mankind/human being/man is worth to live/worthwhile.
It is not so connected but there is something in the words that led us to think it may have been a medallion or token given to a group of people in a club/sect possibly religious.

After my learned friend went home I noticed something we had not noticed together.
The first letter to the right of the figurehead is 'Aleph' the first letter of the Hebrew alphabet.
On the other side, the last word at the bottom could be 'Tav' which is the last letter of the hebrew Alphabet. I wonder if this is meaningful in any way.

Time will tell.

Just as an aside, the Lady who was here helping me is in her Mid-eighties and is a good friend. I looked after her husband some years ago when he was ill and dying during those occasions when she could not. Her husband was very [in]famous in Israel because he was one of the group of 4 men who met with Yasser Arafat and other members of the PLO when it was still an outlawed group. They met in Rumania and the State of Israel found them guilty of what amounted to treason. They were sentenced to prison terms but managed over the years to avoid their time inside beacuse of Lawyers,red Tape and technicalities. And a lot of support from a lot of people. And then Peace started to arrive and itwas forgotten by the higher authorities. Both he[when he was alive]
and she would have wonderful stories to tell about this and other adventures of their times in Poland during the war and thier journey to the Holy land.

Sorry, I got carried away !!

Londonbus1....Being carried back to work
Skippy

Post by Skippy »

Wow :!: Londonbus1 don't worry about getting carried away, that is facinating about your friends experiences, and what you have translated from the token.
Please thank her very much from me, I really appreciate the time both of you have put into this.

Yes, please send it to the Israel Museum LB1, thankyou so much.

I really thought it would have something to do with the Freemasons, as my husband's grandfather was quite high up in the ranks. We had his regalia and notebooks but gave them away to an uncle.
This token however was found in a tin of Aust Pennies so really could have come from anywhere.

Back in their family tree they are related to a former Lord Mayor of Sydney .. Samuel E Lees,
(more info about him here>> http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A100054b.htm , I've just noticed he was a freemason too)

Maybe he was given the token while a Mayor, or picked it up somewhere in his travels.
Londonbus1

Post by Londonbus1 »

Skippy and other interested members,

Just had some news on this 'Token'.

It is actually a Medallion, probably from the 18th Century and was worn by Christian tourists to the Holy land as Talisman or Good Luck pieces.
If you look carefully you can see the start of a hole punch at the top.
Made from Brass,Pewter, Lead or Iron.
Value $25-$35

Made from Silver it is much more scarce.
Should I get any further info I will post it here.

My thanks to Bill of Rosenblum Coins,USA.

Londonbus1......Off to the GB Chatroom. Until later.....
Londonbus1

Post by Londonbus1 »

SKIPPYYYYYYYYY !!!!!!!!

Where are you ?????
There's more.
Look at this:

Dear Mr. Hide

I received your e-mail with the request about the medal in your possession. It is a medal made probably in Europe during the Renaissance, or since the 16th century, thou we don't know exactly. They have in one side the portrait of Jesus and on the reverse a Hebrew legend that reads:

משיח

מלך בא בש

לום ואדם א

דם עשוי

חי

There are different theories about the legend and also about their provenance, but nobody has come with a rational explanation about them. But there are some other similar medals with portraits of Kings Salomon and David. So, some researchers think that they were done by Jews like a charm for protection against the evil eye or something like that.

Well, I have some material about them (not very much). If you are interested, send me your fax number and I will send it to you.

I hope this will be of some help to you.

Yours sincerely

Cecilia Meir

Curator

Kadman Numismatic Pavilion

Eretz-Israel Museum, Tel-Aviv

Phone: 03-7455755

Fax: 03-6437408

e-mail: [email protected]

Aren't there some nice people in this world.
My Thanks to Cecilia Meir of the Eretz-Israel Museum,Tel Aviv

Londonbus1.....Awaiting that fax.

Londonbus1

Post by Londonbus1 »

One amusing [to me at any rate] little aside from the email I received from the Eretz-Israel Museum.
The Curator assumed that the Medallion was in my possession !!

I never said it was !
Maybe she will ask me to donate it ?? :wink:

LB1
Skippy

Post by Skippy »

sorry for my late reply...

O MY Goodness, Londonbus!! This is fantastic.
THANKYOU

How exciting, a 16th century medallion !! WOW

SKippy
PeterS
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Re: WW1 Dead Man's Penny

Post by PeterS »

baroldsan wrote: Image

This is an image of a WW1 Memorial Plaque. Also known as Dead Man's Pennies or Death Pennies. They were issued by the British Government to the next of kin of any British or Commonwealth soldier killed as a result of the war. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find out anything as yet on William Makin so I dont know if he was a Digger or not.

The plaques are cast in bronze and are quite large at 125mm diameter. No rank was recorded on the plaque itself as the intention was to show equality in their sacrifice.
They came with a scroll and letter signed by the King but when I obtained this they had long vanished.

Interestingly the plaque was sent by second-class mail and arrived after the message from the King.
To research any Australian soldier killed in any war up to and (I think now) including WWII, go to the following url;

https://www.awm.gov.au/roh/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You enter the name you want to check and the Roll of Honour (Australian war dead) is searched and results returned.

When you click on the name in the results you get the dead soldiers unit details. From there, you can click on the link to the National Archives (bottom right) and can request a copy of service records.

My Great Grandfather, along with 3 brothers, served in WWI. The youngest brother was killed. I was able to get copies of all of thier records, including my Great Grandfathers, from the Archives. The War Memorial site has another search for ALL Service Personnel for all wars (again up to WWII only, I think), from where you get the necessary details to obtain records from teh National Archives.

The records for my dead Great Uncle, who was only 16 when he joined up (my Great Great Grandfather told my Great Grandfather he would have to join up so that he could look after his brother!), show where he died (of wounds in the field dressing station just behind the lines in France) and his gravesite. If/when I ever get to France I will be able to find his grave easily.
Peter
Hawthorn - AFL Premiers 1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015
Skippy

Post by Skippy »

great link Peter !!

It led me to see if there was something similar for British soldiers and I found this

https://www.military-genealogy.com/nameShow?war=1&sid=25303

The website also has baroldsan's medal featured in it's banner :)
pres
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by pres »

Hmmm don't know what this lot will look like, just getting a bit practice in.

My father's and my service medals. I march with both on ANZAC Day. Dad was WWII, and mine are Vietnam plus National Service and 20 years and one day Army service. The one day, because I silpped up on my discharge date.

Don't know the value of these in the market place, but they are priceless to me.
pres

Post by pres »

Oops, nothing happened, will try again
waroff49

Post by waroff49 »

When you use the image function in Photobucket, you don't have to add the image function on Stampboards.

Just click on the image section in photobucket, [ a yellow copied window appears. Then come back to Stampboards and click on paste (Control-V) and it will list the image automatically.

Unless you have a clipboard manager, you can only move 1 image at a time. One way round this is to have both S/Bds and PBucket open at the same time and switch between them. Copy from PBucket- Paste in S/Bd, back to PBucket- copy, then S/Bd and paste until all images, you want are copied.
Waroff49
The last chapter of the Never_Ending Story is being written.
waroff49

Post by waroff49 »

You got it right before my post well done. A fine array of medals from WWII to Vietnam and beyond with at least 20 years service as well.

I don't know the one on the right of the top row, is it a foreign service medal for the seige of Tobruk.
Waroff49
pres

Post by pres »

Thanks Waroff, yes it was awarded by the Polish Government for Tobruk. In this case posthumous as dad passed away before it was presented.
In my case 20 years of hurry up and wait, but it was worth it for the super.
ozstamps

Post by ozstamps »

We visited the Military Graves Cemetery in Tripoli Libra last year where the Cwth servicemen killed in Tripoli etc are buried.

Beautifully maintained in an otherwise run down area of town.
PeterS

Post by PeterS »

ozstamps wrote:We visited the Military Graves Cemetery in Tripoli Libra last year where the Cwth servicemen killed in Tripoli etc are buried.

Beautifully maintained in an otherwise run down area of town.
It would be maintained by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.
Peter
Hawthorn - AFL Premiers 1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015
ozstamps

Post by ozstamps »

Yes Peter that was it. 8)

A real credit to those who keep an eye on it. Manicured lawns -- the works.

There was a guest book the curator was keen for us to sign ... precious few other visitors it looked like. :cry:

Libya is not exactly a tourist hub.
waroff49

Post by waroff49 »

At the going down of the sun,
And in the morning......We will remember them.

(Ode to the Fallen)

and preserve their memory.
Waroff49
PeterS

Post by PeterS »

ozstamps wrote:Yes Peter that was it. 8)

A real credit to those who keep an eye on it. Manicured lawns -- the works.

There was a guest book the curator was keen for us to sign ... precious few other visitors it looked like. :cry:

Libya is not exactly a tourist hub.
Kranji war cemetary in Singapore is the same. I visited it around 10 years ago. I have a relative buried there, only 19 when he died nearby while trying to stave off the Japanese landings.

It was an experience to see row after row of Australian and British soldiers, all incredibly young.

Some time I intend to do a tour of France and Belgium to see all the cemeteries and battle sites. I have a relative buried there as well.
Peter
GlenStephens
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by GlenStephens »

Press Release I got today that may interest some here:

Announcing a new Renniks Publication - the eagerly awaited complete reference
and standard guide to all Australian Military and Civilian Decorations and Awards from
1815-2007

After years of research, Clive Johnson, the editor, has completed this definitive work
on all Australian Medals and Awards, both military and civil from 1815-2007
This exciting new 1st edition provides information on civil awards and decorations to
Australians which have never been previously listed.

- Edited by Clive Johnson
- Over 400 x pages in full
colour printed on gloss paper

Hard cover only

ISBN 978-0-9752245-7-1
RRP $ 64.95
waroff49

Post by waroff49 »

Glen did you get any page mock ups, to give an idea of the layout, text etc.?

Bill
Waroff49
GlenStephens

Post by GlenStephens »

Waroff .. nope just that piece. 8)
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
Lofty

Dead mans penny

Post by Lofty »

No Surname Rank Service Number Date Of Death Age Regiment/Service Nationality Grave/Memorial Ref. Cemetery/Memorial Name
1 MAKIN, WILLIAM Private 11850 14/01/1915 25 South Lancashire Regiment United Kingdom Panel 37. YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL
2 MAKIN, W Private 20496 20/10/1915 Unknown London Regiment United Kingdom Kerb Wall. 9780. EAST LONDON CEMETERY, PLAISTOW
3 MAKIN, WALTER Lance Corporal 2625 16/07/1916 23 West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Own) United Kingdom I. E. 2. PUCHEVILLERS BRITISH CEMETERY
4 MAKIN, W Gunner 690415 25/08/1917 21 Royal Field Artillery United Kingdom 3. Z2. (C.H.) 15. BOLTON (HEATON) CEMETERY
5 MAKIN, WALTER Private 39918 26/03/1918 37 West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Own) United Kingdom Bay 4. ARRAS MEMORIAL
6 MAKIN, WILLIAM Private 17905 31/03/1918 Unknown East Lancashire Regiment United Kingdom Panel 42 and 43. POZIERES MEMORIAL
7 MAKIN, WILLIAM Private 44937 16/04/1918 27 Lancashire Fusiliers United Kingdom D. 642. SARIGOL MILITARY CEMETERY, KRISTON
8 MAKINSON, WILLIAM Lance Corporal 9781 16/07/1916 40 Lancashire Fusiliers United Kingdom Pier and Face 3 C and 3 D. THIEPVAL MEMORIAL
Page 1
This information is from the Commonwealth War Grave commission records
Lofty

Dead man's penny

Post by Lofty »

As a follow up to my last post,
If you go to CWGC.org you can put in the names of any person who died during the 1914-19 and the 1939-45 wars , if they were British or Commonwealth service personnel
Overlord
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by Overlord »

Medal of The People's Eucharistic League

Does anyone have more information on this one, particularly the year in which it was issued?
Overlord

Post by Overlord »

A couple of (very common) decorations from my collection...

The 1939-1945 Star
Criteria: https://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/Defen" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 45Star.htm

Image[IMG:697:1024]

The War Medal 1939-1945
https://www.britishwargraves.org.uk/BG_I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 9_1945.asp

GlenStephens

Post by GlenStephens »

GlenStephens wrote:Press Release I got today that may interest some here:

Announcing a new Renniks Publication - the eagerly awaited complete reference
and standard guide to all Australian Military and Civilian Decorations and Awards from
1815-2007

After years of research, Clive Johnson, the editor, has completed this definitive work
on all Australian Medals and Awards, both military and civil from 1815-2007
This exciting new 1st edition provides information on civil awards and decorations to
Australians which have never been previously listed.

- Edited by Clive Johnson
- Over 400 x pages in full
colour printed on gloss paper

Hard cover only

ISBN 978-0-9752245-7-1
RRP $ 64.95

I now have these on hand for sale -- a quite superb book I must say. :D

https://www.glenstephens.com/order" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
ewen s
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!

Post by ewen s »

Morning everyone,

I thought I'd share a scan of one of my New Zealand tradesman's tokens. These were issued by many shops throughout NZ (and Australia) at a time when the cost of shipping large quantities of small change was higher than the worth of the coins themselves.

They were first issued in 1857 and the last was issued in 1881. They were outlawed in NZ in 1891. So, in NZ alone there are 46 different issuers with many of them producing many different tokens.

They are fascinating to me as NZ did not issue its own coinage until 1933, so seeing a NZ coin with an 18__ date piqued my interest and I am trying to accumulate a set. There are some expensive tokens (in fact any NZ in a VG grade or higher are scarce) but most can be picked up for between $20 and $60.

Here are two scans of the first NZ token - the 1857 Somerville. Note the rose (England), the clover (Ireland) and the thistle (Scotland) depicting most settlers' home countries.

Sorry about the scans - they are from the photocopier at work.

Cheers,

Ewen :)
clemo

Post by clemo »

All I have to show for 39 years of undetected crime! 18 years RAF, 21 Years RAAF.

arls1
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by arls1 »

All I can show here are the Medals my partner was very pleased to get at the price he did. :)

The first is the Iron Cross Second Class

This one was The Hindenburg as far as he knows.

He got both for $82.00 from Germany;. :) :)

Thanks
Arlene
Last edited by arls1 on 20 Dec 2008 08:39, edited 1 time in total.
ewen s

Post by ewen s »

Not a bad price Arls. :)

A lot of people paid a much higher price for theirs.

I showed a poor scan of NZ's first tradesman token a few posts back; here is another poor scan of the last NZ token - Milner & Thompson (Christchurch) 1881 - a great place to buy a piano;

Cheers,

Ewen
RodT
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Re: MEDALS AND TOKENS... Show us your stuff and stick em up

Post by RodT »

A 1910 Reward of Merit and WWI medals of Frederick William Tilyard (1889 - 1949).

Fred was my 3rd cousin twice removed.

Having no living family, and as I have a keen interest in family history, Fred's wife passed these on to me.

Front:-

Back:-

Fred joined the British Navy in 1907 on his 18th birthday.

He also served in China in 1911 during the Boxer Revolution, and while there he and a mate saved an old chinaman's life. In return, the old man gave Fred and friend his two daughters. Faced with the predicament of possibly having to stay in China and raise the two girls, they arranged with the guards at the railway station to shut the gates just as their train was about to depart, allowing them to make a 'narrow escape'.

I will always treasure these, and in turn, will pass them on for future generations.
IPDA Webmaster. Visit KoalaStamps for quality Oceania, Asia and Europe sets and singles.
Gulfmann

Re: MEDALS AND TOKENS... Show us your stuff and stick em up here

Post by Gulfmann »

Here is one new organized ROC (Taiwan) military medals
collector's blog,
http://adstores.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Take a look and leave some comments, Thanks.
Comrade Kitov
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by Comrade Kitov »

Belgian Korean War medals:

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n603/brigadepiron/MyMedal.jpg
Overseas deployment medal

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n603/brigadepiron/DSCF1186.jpg
Volunteer medal

Korea=Flemish (Dutch) + Coree = Waloon (French), the two national languages of Belgium

900 Belgians served in Korea and 46 Luxembourgers were attached. The contingent fought heroicly at the Imjin, Chatkol and Hatang-Ni.

CK
Kathy Young

Post by Kathy Young »

ImageThis is two of my grandfathers freemasions medals,dated(1947).
Such is Life.
Kathy Young

Post by Kathy Young »

Such is Life.
dave13
Green Star Less Than 10 Posts Member
Green Star Less Than 10 Posts Member

Re:

Post by dave13 »

apptec wrote:Hi All,

Not sure where this one originated from, but it came down the family line somehow, and ended up with me. Has anyone got any idea what it is :?:

Front

Reverse

Sorry bout the images, had trouble with the scanner
I believe it was a medal to commemorate the end of WW1 I have a similar one here.
https://www.neocollect.com/item/8297/
My coin medal and stamp collection.
http://www.neocollect.com/user/

Return to “Coins, Banknotes, tokens, medals and all things NUMISMATIC!”