Australia Post gets OK to up letter rate: $1.50, Jan 4, 2016

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Night Watchman
I was online for post number ONE MILLION!

Australia Post gets OK to up letter rate: $1.50, Jan 4, 2016

Post by Night Watchman »

Today 27 November 15 Australia Post got the OK to hike basic service letter rate to $1 from 4 January 2016. A "1st Class" Letter will be $1.50

There is a press release but I have not got hold of it.
Noel Almeida, Night Watchman, Australia Down Under.
Author: Overseas Mailers of New York FDCs of Australia.
Author: Australian Post Office Souvenir Covers.
Author: Test Cricket Centenary 1977 Philatelic Covers.

Tassie_Stamps
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!

Re: Australia Post gets OK to hike letter rate to 70c, March

Post by Tassie_Stamps »

Pricing changes - effective 4 January 2016

27th November 2015

In August, Australia Post lodged a draft notification with the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) to increase the Basic Postage Rate (BPR) from 70 cents to $1 effective 4 January 2016.

Today's ACCC announcement that it does not object to the proposed ordinary (stamped) letter prices, including the BPR increase, is welcomed by Australia Post. Our next stage is to lodge a formal notification with the ACCC. The proposed increase to the BPR is also subject to the Ministerial notification process.

Ahmed Fahour, Managing Director & Group CEO, said this decision is the second, critical step in letters reform after approval was granted in September by Federal Parliament to introduce a new two-speed letters service.

"We have now secured the two reforms essential to ensuring a sustainable letters service – for our people, our customers and the community," Mr Fahour said.

"The decision by the ACCC to not object will allow Australia Post to continue to support over 4,000 Post Offices which provide an excellent service to the Australian community.

"Post Office licensees will receive, on average, a $25,000 boost per annum, which is part of the additional $125 million increase in annual payments that Australia Post has committed to for the Licensee network.

"It will also allow Australia Post to recover more of the cost of the service while maintaining five-day a week delivery and continuing to meet our important Community Service Obligations."

Plans are already well underway in readiness for the introduction of a two-speed letters service for consumers from 4 January. This service is in line with what has been available to business customers since June 2014.

The Priority service offers delivery within 1-4 business days depending on destination, while the Regular service is up to two business days longer than Priority. To send a letter at the faster Priority speed customers will need to purchase a Priority label from their local Post Office or the Australia Post online shop and place it next to the stamp. Based on the $1 BPR, a Priority label will cost $0.50 cents.

Importantly, Australia Post will continue to maintain the concession stamp price at 60 cents, which is available to 5.7 million eligible Australians, and season greeting cards will stay at 65 cents.

Further information on the pricing changes and how the two-speed letters service works is available at auspost.com.au/letters

For further information, please contact:

National Media Line
03 9106 6666

https://auspost.newsroom.com.au/Content/Home/02-Home/Article ... -2/-2/6072

stampchris
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by stampchris »

Tassie_Stamps wrote:The Priority service offers delivery within 1-4 business days depending on destination, while the Regular service is up to two business days longer than Priority. To send a letter at the faster Priority speed customers will need to purchase a Priority label from their local Post Office or the Australia Post online shop and place it next to the stamp. Based on the $1 BPR, a Priority label will cost $0.50 cents.
So no separate stamps for the $1.50 Priority rate, just a label then. Interesting approach. Will be interesting to see how the labels are designed. Will there be a price on them? Will there be phosphor markings so mail sorting machinery can distinguish priority mail from regular mail?
Chris de Haer - Author of 'A Closer Look at Modern Australian Stamps' in Stamp News Australia.Online Shop Latest news on my blog

stampchris

Post by stampchris »

stampchris wrote:
Tassie_Stamps wrote:The Priority service offers delivery within 1-4 business days depending on destination, while the Regular service is up to two business days longer than Priority. To send a letter at the faster Priority speed customers will need to purchase a Priority label from their local Post Office or the Australia Post online shop and place it next to the stamp. Based on the $1 BPR, a Priority label will cost $0.50 cents.
So no separate stamps for the $1.50 Priority rate, just a label then. Interesting approach. Will be interesting to see how the labels are designed. Will there be a price on them? Will there be phosphor markings so mail sorting machinery can distinguish priority mail from regular mail?
Here's a image of the labels, which seem to have a Data Matrix code on them. This will be read by the mail sorting machinery, and priority mail will be separated from regular mail.
Chris de Haer - Author of 'A Closer Look at Modern Australian Stamps' in Stamp News Australia.Online Shop Latest news on my blog

fromdownunder
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by fromdownunder »

i feel an experiment coming on after the new rates come in. :D I will send myself a priority letter and a non priority letter at the same time from the same box, and check the result.

Norm
Geelong, VFA Premiers 1878, 1879, 1800, 1882, 1883, 1884, 1886, AFL Premiers 1925, 1931, 1937, 1951, 1952, 1963, 2007, 2009, 2011, .

fossick
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!

Post by fossick »

It will be interesting to see how they plan to dumb down the delivery times for those letters that are currently being delivered within 2 days.

Given what they are saying with regard to priority mail delivery times and regular mail to take up to 2 days longer to deliver.

Are they planning to hold back regular mail for 48hrs before delivering it? :twisted:
:roll: :wink: :lol: :lol:

John G

traralgon3844
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by traralgon3844 »

Obviously the QR code label will be the key to the sorting of the 1 day vs 3 day letters. The machine reads the label and sorts it into a different stream.

That is if the machine reads it at all, given the amount of uncancelled stamps around the machines do not perform their function very well at the moment.

If that code is the same on all labels I can see a new market coming up in 'used' QR code labels' but I bet the adhesive won't be part water soluable like on self adhesive stamps.
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

jrg

Post by jrg »

Using a label instead of stamps forces those who want priority to pay for it, rather than use discount mint stamps to make up the $1.50.
John

Looking for used pre-decimal OS/NSW and G/NSW state perfins, and NWPI KGV overprints.

stampchris

Post by stampchris »

fromdownunder wrote:i feel an experiment coming on after the new rates come in. :D I will send myself a priority letter and a non priority letter at the same time from the same box, and check the result.

Norm
You read my mind Norm :D Happy to participate if you want to.
fossick wrote:It will be interesting to see how they plan to dumb down the delivery times for those letters that are currently being delivered within 2 days.

Given what they are saying with regard to priority mail delivery times and regular mail to take up to 2 days longer to deliver.

Are they planning to hold back regular mail for 48hrs before delivering it? :twisted:
:roll: :wink: :lol: :lol:

John G
I believe the Government allowed Australia Post more 'flexibility' in its delivery timetable. This was to allow them to use their machinery more efficiently.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are times when regular mail is delivered as 'speedily' as Priority mail in some areas.
traralgon3844 wrote:Obviously the QR code label will be the key to the sorting of the 1 day vs 3 day letters. The machine reads the label and sorts it into a different stream.

That is if the machine reads it at all, given the amount of uncancelled stamps around the machines do not perform their function very well at the moment.

If that code is the same on all labels I can see a new market coming up in 'used' QR code labels' but I bet the adhesive won't be part water soluable like on self adhesive stamps.
I wonder where the Data Matrix (not QR Code) is read in the mail sorting process. Remember, there are at least four separate machines involved in mail sorting. One to read whether a letter has a stamp on it, another machine which, if needed, turns the letter around so the envelope can then be cancelled by the next machine, and another to read the postcode/barcode and then sort it. I reckon the Data Matrix is read by that machine.

I agree, there will be people soaking off and reselling those labels. Dare I say it, if every label is the same, what is to stop somebody printing their own Data Matrix on an envelope?
jrg wrote:Using a label instead of stamps forces those who want priority to pay for it, rather than use discount mint stamps to make up the $1.50.
Yes. There were some suggestions that all previous stamps would be invalidated once this comes in. Guess this is a compromise.

Stewie1980

Post by Stewie1980 »

Goodbye Australian new issues!

Another country I will cross of my list due to ever increasing postage rates.

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

It also allows them to have produced the stamps already and without a value on it, it becomes a forever stamp. Then they can then hike up the cost without printing a new stamp.

But I can't think of any reason that I would pay for priority mail.
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

mcgooley
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by mcgooley »

fromdownunder wrote:i feel an experiment coming on after the new rates come in. :D I will send myself a priority letter and a non priority letter at the same time from the same box, and check the result.

Norm
I'll also be trialling the system - this is going to be fun...
stampchris wrote:Here's a image of the labels, which seem to have a Data Matrix code on them.
Chris, where did you find the image of the upcoming labels? Is there any information about how they're to be used? Just wondering if they are to be cancelled in the same way as 'ordinary' stamps...I remember AP flirting with 'stamps' on which you could send a video message (I got one on a packet from Glen some while back - danged if I know where I put it :( ) and I seem to recall it not being cancelled.

Crunch time. As secretary of our local stamp club, I send out newsletters to our 80-odd members on an (ir)regular basis. We are a not-for-profit organization. Only about one quarter of our members are up to speed with internet/emails/20th century technology.

I've just posted 65 copies of our newsletter to members and affiliated clubs - and will be posting over 120 letters next month, which will include items which cannot be emailed. Included in next month's mailing will be SASE for responses from members necessary for the operation of the club. (I'd better make sure I send the mail out early enough for the responses to get back in time!)

This aspect may not be fun, but will be interesting. Maybe this time around we'll see some instructionals???
FORESTS OLD, PASTURES NEW
"Truth is stranger than Fiction, but that is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." MARK TWAIN

traralgon3844

Post by traralgon3844 »

Stewie1980 wrote:Goodbye Australian new issues!

In that case you must have give up on collecting the Netherlands. Postage rates there are much more expensive than those in Australia.

A punny 20 letter costs .69 Euro = $1.01, a 50g letter 1.38 Euro = $2.03, a 100g letter 2.07 Euro = $3.04 and so on.

Whereas in Australia a small letter up to 130mm x 240mm x 5mm and 250g will cost you at presnt 70 cents which will rise to $1 for slow mail and $1.50 for next day delivery. Cheap by comparison and the country is somewhat larger. That's 70 cents from Hobart to Broome which is 4,679 km.

U.K. First class = 63p/$1.32 Second Class = 54p/$1.13 and I believe their weight restrictions are harsh compared to Australia.

Germany

Standardbrief - 235 x 125 x 5 (minimum 140 x 90) up to 20 gms 0.62 Euro/$0.91
Kompaktbrief - 235 x 125 x 10 21 to 50 gms 0.85 Euro/$1.25
Grossbrief - 353 x 250 x 20 51 to 500 gms 1.45 Euro/$2.13

So to send a letter over 50g in Germany with a few stamps and packing will cost you 1.45 Euro/$2.13.

It is all horses for courses.
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

Stewie1980

Post by Stewie1980 »

traralgon3844 wrote:
Stewie1980 wrote:Goodbye Australian new issues!

In that case you must have give up on collecting the Netherlands. Postage rates there are much more expensive than those in Australia.

A punny 20 letter costs .69 Euro = $1.01, a 50g letter 1.38 Euro = $2.03, a 100g letter 2.07 Euro = $3.04 and so on.
Don't forget that Post Netherlands allmost doesn't issue higher values than the €0.69 stamps except for only 1 or 2 €1.38 stamps and about 10 international €1.15 stamps each year. These are all non-value indicator stamps (like the British '1st' stamps) that will increase in value with every rate increase.

Also don't forget that Post Netherlands doesn't issue everything in 3 or 4 versions (set, miniature sheet, booklet, coil)

In total the Netherlands is way cheaper and I don't have to pay a premium over face value for Netherlands new issues which I would have to pay for the 5 or so Australian new issues a year I am interested in (+60%)

stampchris

Post by stampchris »

Allanswood wrote:It also allows them to have produced the stamps already and without a value on it, it becomes a forever stamp. Then they can then hike up the cost without printing a new stamp.

But I can't think of any reason that I would pay for priority mail.
I agree Greg, and if you read carefully the documents Australia Post provided to the ACCC, they hope most people will agree with you too. Since the two tier service was introduced for business mail, more than 70% of business mail is sent via the slower regular rate. Australia Post also hopes that 70-80% of mail sent by the public will be sent by Regular Post.

Australia Post also found that many people expected mail to take longer to be delivered than it actually was. Australia Post delivery timetable states that mail addressed to the same metropolitan area from which it was sent, should be delivered the next day, but the general public assumed it took anywhere from two to four days. The public also assumed that if you wanted a letter to arrive the next day, you should send it via Express Post.

Extending the delivery timetable, will also cut costs for Australia Post. To achieve their current delivery timetable, mail needs to be processed overnight, and then further sorted in the morning prior to delivery. If 80% of customers sent their mail by Regular post, then the work effort for overnight processing of letters reduces from 95% to 20%, which can then subsequently be sorted at delivery centres during the day. Prior to the reforms 95% of mail centre workers were on wages that attracted a 15-30% penalty payment. Under the reforms Australia Post expects this to drop to around 60%.

stampchris

Post by stampchris »

mcgooley wrote:
stampchris wrote:Here's a image of the labels, which seem to have a Data Matrix code on them.
Chris, where did you find the image of the upcoming labels? Is there any information about how they're to be used? Just wondering if they are to be cancelled in the same way as 'ordinary' stamps...I remember AP flirting with 'stamps' on which you could send a video message (I got one on a packet from Glen some while back - danged if I know where I put it :( ) and I seem to recall it not being cancelled.
You can order these now at:
https://shop.auspost.com.au/pack-post/postage-stamps

Apparently, they are not meant to go on sale under 14 December, but I've ordered some - it'll be interesting to see what comes, and when :D

I don't know whether these will be cancelled or not; let alone what procedures are in place to avoid reuse. I would assume cancelled would be the most obvious method; perhaps a postmark over the code may well and truly render it unreadable? (I know some of these codes have built in 'error correction', so I don't know likely this is.)

stampingpaws
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by stampingpaws »

You can order these now at:
https://shop.auspost.com.au/pack-post/postage-stamps

Apparently, they are not meant to go on sale under 14 December, but I've ordered some - it'll be interesting to see what comes, and when :D
Ordered 5 sheets of 5 tonight. Will be interested to see when they arrive from Australia Post.

Best wishes
Robert

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Australia Post gets OK to hike letter rate to $1.50c, March 31.

Post by Global Administrator »

nightwatchman wrote:

Today 27 November 15 Australia Post got the OK to hike letter rate to $1 from 4 January 2016.

There is a press release but I have not got hold of it.
That's over a 40% increase in 1 step. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

To give us literally 'Second Class' mail, from the current 70c for FIRST Class mail.

Whilst letter and parcel and overseas mail prices skyrocket, and local mail delivery time performances schedules are in disarray due to near non-functioning new sorting equipment, the Boss of Australia Post is splurging out on expanding his massive mansion!

Australia’s highest-paid public servant, Ahmed Fahour, plans to spend $4.5 million - the value of a most sizeable prestige home anywhere in this country - just on extending his Hawthorn mansion in the Melbourne suburb of Hawthorn.

Fahour bought the Invergowrie manor two years ago for just over $A20 million, reports the Domain property tracking website. Based no doubt on the obscenely paid contract that some fool in Government gave him for the next few years.

Mr Fahour somehow gets paid TEN times what the Postmaster General of the USA gets paid, to head a Corporation which due to poor business decisions has posted a LOSS in the last reporting season. I suspect I could have achieved the same loss result, or far better, for a tiny fraction of the $A4½m a year this fellow gets. He must go and go SOON.

Whomever decided an ex banker with zero experience in running any Post Office should be paid much more than many successful CEO's of very large PROFITABLE companies here get paid, has some explaining to do. This man seems near universally reviled by all PO employees I have spoken to. Never good.

ABC News reported this year that fully 20% of the national parcels are mis-sorted and mis-delivered due to the $500 million White Elephant new equipment he presumably signed off on, and was well aware of was being ordered.

WHY Australia Post ordered this dud machinery from the Netherlands, then literally bolted on a half dozen different software systems that do not all talk to each other according to ABC news, is a major mystery. Surely there are tried proven systems that other POs use, that WORK?

It would be like Qantas deciding not to purchase Boeing jetliners that work and are known to work, and instead spending that same money on an IKEA kit set plane, assembling it here, and bolting on all kinds of software, and praying it flew 5000 miles. I'd not be flying on THAT loopy experiment – would you?!

My own experiences shows mail articles often take three weeks to reach destinations here, that used to be next day. Often crossing the country several times before arriving at their destination. Sometimes coming back to me with no markings at all after 6 weeks of dispatch.
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

KMK
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by KMK »

Will they be open on the 1st, 2nd or 3rd?
(Wondering if i can get my 50 concession stamps before the increase. Also does anyone know how much concession will go up?)

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

Its not going up.
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

levi
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by levi »

The manager at an LPO I frequent has been speculating with me on this for some time and she always seemed to be of the impression that rates would likely go up on 4th Jan 2016... so the announcement doesn't surprise me too much.

Now, any bets on what the new definitive stamps will be?

More fishes of the reef? More flowers? More industries? something else?
Levi
Coffee Addict

mcgooley

Post by mcgooley »

I wouldn't like to lay odds on what the new definitives are going to be...

But, since you've started it, why not run some suggestions :P

2016 is the 50th anniversary of the change-over to decimal currency -
We might look forward to a re-run of the original decimal definitives from 50 years ago. Not too difficult; 1c becomes $1, and so on -
2016 is also the earmarked for 400th anniversary celebrations commemorating Dirk Hartog's landfall in W.A. (okay, a one-off event, but what are the odds there won't be a stamp in it somewhere?)

This opens up a whole field of re-runs for heaps of stamp designs from yesteryear.

Personally, I'd like to see a definitive series illustrating indigenous culture - artifacts, bush tucker (which is now moving into the area of haute cuisine), dreamtime...yes, we've had them before as commems, but.
"Truth is stranger than Fiction, but that is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." MARK TWAIN

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

Oddly enough it may well be the Christmas Island Lunar Year set for 2016

Unless they bring out an unplanned issue before the Australia Day legends. Perhaps more native flowers?

mcgooley

Post by mcgooley »

I don't believe the Lunar Year issues count as definitives - but I could be wrong :arrow:

stampchris

Post by stampchris »

Interesting question Levi, and one that raises lots of questions.

I can tell you this for certain: the stamps have already been designed, but whether we see them on sale on 4 January is another story. I have no idea what the designs are, just that Australia Post already has sets of stamps designed in advance to cover both domestic and international rate rises.

The problem faced by Australia Post is whether they will get the stamps printed in time, given their printers close over the Christmas-New Year period. A similar situation happened in 2003, when the 45c rate went to 50c at the last moment. The then current 50c Desert Star Flower definitive continued to be sold With the actual new 50c definitives turning up in July. The $1.45 rate stamp took nearly a month to arrive (issued 11 February!). Greetings stamps appeared in early January 2003, and some commemoratives had $1, $1.45 and $2.45 values to cover the shortage of definitives.

Now, whilst we have $1, $2, $3 and $5 definitives, the biggest problem is the $1 definitive is 'double-sized' (50 x 30 mm), and while this isn't really an issue for the sheet stamp, it will be if they produce a version for self-adhesive booklets and rolls (these larger stamps have only ever been produced in self-adhesive booklets of five). Though in 2003 Australia Post almost solely relied on SNP Print for their stamps, whereas now they have four security printers at their disposal and both RA Printing and Ego Print are specialists in quick turn around times.

Then as pointed out we also have the other issues that are released in January... Greetings stamps with personalised versions (RA Printing is now doing these, so I wouldn't be surprised if we see greetings stamps issued early), Lunar New Year stamps (this'll be one source of a $3 stamp), Legends (expected booklets) and maybe even a Love issue (unlikely as it will probably be rolled into the Greetings issue).

Then we have to consider make up rate stamps. A new 30c stamp may appear (the 30c Crocodile has been reprinted so many times it's more than likely going to be replaced). Australia Post may sell people a combination of 10c and 20c stamps, but a single 30c stamp would be more convenient.

We may also either see the 35c Mercury and Mars stamps remain on sale too, or a new 35c definitive released, to make the 65c stamps up to the new $1 rate. The Christmas card rate will remain at 65c in 2016 so a 35c stamp is a real possibility.

Girish Vaidya

Post by Girish Vaidya »

hi

India Post website has informed that the international postalrates have been changed. To see the rates we have to visit another government site!!

on visiting that site it is seen that the international post rate has been reduced from Rs 25 for the first 20 gms to Rs 20 :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

For every additional 20 grams or part thereof , upto 2000 gms , it is Rs 10 from the present Rs 13.

These rates are effective from 1st December 2015.

So now we will not need the Rs 1, Rs 3 etc definitives to make up the Rs 38 or Rs 51 stamps for increased weights.

Also the Rs 25 stamps will not be used so much and I haven't come across any Rs 20 stamps recently

I guess there is not much volumes of international mail, so the reduction in rates must be to attract mails, but not sure about the reasons!

Girish Vaidya
I aim to collect one MNH postage stamp (1947 -2017)and one used postage stamp(1947 to 1997) each of the post independent India issues. Other that that, I collect world wide postage stamps on the theme of Cinema. I also collect on authors/painters/musicians/composers and anything on entertainment.

Night Watchman

Post by Night Watchman »

These are scans of the front and back of the Sheet of 5.

The sheet was ordered via mail order and delivered 1 December 15.

S2.50 for a sheet of five labels.

BigSaint

Post by BigSaint »

So once we have "one day priority mail", does this mean that "express post" & the yellow post boxes will be discontinued :?:

Brad :?
Specialist Collector of World Horse Racing Covers, Melbourne Cup & Kentucky Derby, & JFK fdcs.

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

Probably not. I still need to send express satchels and larger envelopes, rather than letters.

stampchris

Post by stampchris »

BigSaint wrote:So once we have "one day priority mail", does this mean that "express post" & the yellow post boxes will be discontinued :?:

It's only next day if the letter is mail within a capital city, and is to be delivered to another address in the same capital city. Even then this is not guaranteed.

Express Post will continue to offered guaranteed next day delivery anywhere within the Express Post network. Australia Post found that consumers who wanted to guarantee a letter was delivered the next day assumed Express Post was the only way.

stampchris

Post by stampchris »

nightwatchman wrote:These are scans of the front and back of the Sheet of 5.

Thanks Noel.

Singles are also available - I've been sent a photograph of these, and will post when I have a chance.

Also, possibly have some news on the new definitives, plus a possible photo of one.

levi

Post by levi »

BigSaint wrote:So once we have "one day priority mail", does this mean that "express post" & the yellow post boxes will be discontinued :?:

No. "Priority" is not next day.

"Priority" is the standard mail timetable we used to get for the base postage rate. You will now pay 50c extra via label to get this service.

The base postage rate is now delivered to a slower "standard" timetable.

So, you will have a choice of three speeds.

"Standard" aka equivalent of the current "surface mail" that only businesses previously could access.

"Priority" aka the equivalent of the normal delivery timetable up until this year (did you notice that they have already slowed your mail down to "standard"?)

and

"Express" via the yellow boxes. NB You can still only buy 'large letter' express envelopes as a single item - DL express envelopes are only sold in a ten pack.

My guess is that Registered Post items can still be up-rated with a "Priority" label.

Note - parcels cannot be up-rated with "Priority" and will continue their choice of regular or express.
Levi
Coffee Addict

stampchris

Post by stampchris »

levi wrote:My guess is that Registered Post items can still be up-rated with a "Priority" label.

Note - parcels cannot be up-rated with "Priority" and will continue their choice of regular or express.
Registered Post can be up-rated. All of Australia Post's prepaid and pre stamped envelopes (it will be interesting to see what will happen with these) (except for the Express Post envelopes).

Concession stamps remain at 60c, and can be up-rated too.

The Christmas card rate will remain at 65c (we'll probably need a new 35c stamp), and can also be up-rated.

stampchris

Post by stampchris »

stampchris wrote:
nightwatchman wrote:These are scans of the front and back of the Sheet of 5.

Thanks Noel.

Singles are also available - I've been sent a photograph of these, and will post when I have a chance.

Also, possibly have some news on the new definitives, plus a possible photo of one.
Noel, what are the dimensions of these labels? Are they same as regular stamps: 37.5 mm x 26 mm?

Night Watchman

Post by Night Watchman »

Size is approximately: 39mm x 26mm.

levi

Post by levi »

Ramifications for stamp collectors?

Aus Post have classed them as "labels" yet they clearly look to be produced by one of the current peel and stick stamp printers (although perhaps with a 'digital' print to accomodate the barcodes?).

I dare say that modern collectors (whatever is left of them) will still buy at least one and house it alongside their stamps, as it is an important development in our postal history.

I do wonder if these 'labels' have the same type of adhesive glue as Australian peel and stick stamps, so that they can be soaked off by collectors?!

It is notable that there are anti-peel anti-tamper type slits in these labels - perhaps indicative of things to come on our stamps?

As they are not classed as 'stamps' I guess they cannot have postmarks applied for FDCs... but we are instructed to apply them next to stamps, so I guess they could be 'incidentally' postmarked.

Is the 'labels' classification to suit Post contracts?

I guess the whole philosophy of them not being 'stamps' could potentially be to keep clear distinction of what the 'base postal rate' (BPR) is, as recent media stories have reported that Licensed Post Office agreements have many rebates tied to what the BPR is.

Post have been very clever about how they have gone about this price hike for letters, because while the true cost of postage has gone right up, they have kept the BPR down.

The new total price for a DL letter to be posted with the same timeframe as years gone by (that you paid the BPR to receive) is now the total of the BPR PLUS the priority label.

Post have essentially redefined what service constitutes the BPR (a lesser service than it once was).

Keeping the postage 'uprate' for Priority clearly defined as a 'label' means it isn't 'postage' per-se, it's a service fee paid for by way of label, not 'postage' in the traditional sense.

This keeps the BPR down (by 50c per letter) so that the huge true rise in the price of postage is not matched by an equally huge rise in remuneration from Post to LPOs. Though, with a 30c increase to the BPR you'd imagine that the LPO's would be cheering at their rise in rebates anyway (if that's how their mail handling rebates etc are actually calculated).

[Not sure if they will be cheering at the decline they are probably experiencing in in-store bill payments with the rise of online payment gateways, and the potential decline in parcels with increased competition, or the potential drop in the letters business - I dare say that with this hike, businesses will re-assess how much they really need to post some things!]
Levi
Coffee Addict

stampchris

Post by stampchris »

Thanks to Levi, here is a picture of a sheet of twenty self-adhesive Priority labels with rouletting between the stamps. Perhaps, along with the slits, this is a sign of things to come too? (I will wait and see what the repercussions of the slits are, but the producing self-adhesive sheets, may suggest we will start seeing post offices selling stamps in this format too)
Post offices have also been sent brochures to give out to the public outlining the service changes. The link to my blog has photographs of the brochure, but interestingly the cover shows a new stamp. Levi has been advised that 'Wildflowers 2015' is to be issued in later 2015, and will include stamps with denominations of $1, $2, $3 and $5, which are the new rates. It will be interesting to see what format these stamps are issued in, as the stamp on the cover in the picture appears to be as big as the Priority label, which is unusual as most definitives are 25 mm x 30 mm.

stampingpaws

Post by stampingpaws »

Received my order of 5 sheets from Australia Post today.

Not sure what I will do with them but will probably use them but more likely make up first day covers with the new stamps.

Best wishes
Robert

levi

Post by levi »

How did you guys order them?

I didn't see them in the last bulletin, and they do not appear to be on the Post website at present...
Levi
Coffee Addict

stampingpaws

Post by stampingpaws »

Best wishes
Robert

levi

Post by levi »

Interestingly they do not display on that page when I open it or refresh it.

If I search for "priority" it shows there are 2 results, but I can only see the rubber stamp, which was previously available.

Not sure if they have hidden the priority labels or if perhaps my browser is just being difficult!
Levi
Coffee Addict

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

So what allegedly was "First Day" for these? Did anyone get any "FDC"?

Night Watchman

Post by Night Watchman »

levi wrote:...Not sure if they have hidden the priority labels or if perhaps my browser is just being difficult!
Your browser is fine.

The labels have been removed/hidden :!:

The Mail Order Code is: 0590262.

stampchris

Post by stampchris »

levi wrote:Aus Post have classed them as "labels" yet they clearly look to be produced by one of the current peel and stick stamp printers (although perhaps with a 'digital' print to accomodate the barcodes?).
I have asked Australia Post for clarification on the printer and process used.
levi wrote:I dare say that modern collectors (whatever is left of them) will still buy at least one and house it alongside their stamps, as it is an important development in our postal history.

I do wonder if these 'labels' have the same type of adhesive glue as Australian peel and stick stamps, so that they can be soaked off by collectors?!

It is notable that there are anti-peel anti-tamper type slits in these labels - perhaps indicative of things to come on our stamps?
I received my booklets of 5 in the mail this morning. I am going to test the soak-ability of the labels and report back.
levi wrote:As they are not classed as 'stamps' I guess they cannot have postmarks applied for FDCs... but we are instructed to apply them next to stamps, so I guess they could be 'incidentally' postmarked.
I would feel Australia Post would like these postmarked, and hence make the data matrix on the label unreadable; otherwise what's to stop someone (i) either soaking off the label or (ii) cutting the label off one envelope and gluing it on?

Now, to play devil's advocate: are these labels and stamps? On their own they don't prepay postage, but together with $1 of postage stamps, do pay a specific postage rate. I would favour the 'label' idea, but it'll be interesting to see what others think.

levi

Post by levi »

Global Administrator wrote:So what allegedly was "First Day" for these? Did anyone get any "FDC"?
I have placed an order from no less than three locations for first day of use covers but have not had any supplied to date. One LPO reported to me that the date of issue was "yet to be confirmed" and that they had not yet received "directive" to go ahead and use them yet.
Levi
Coffee Addict

stampchris

Post by stampchris »

Global Administrator wrote:So what allegedly was "First Day" for these? Did anyone get any "FDC"?
Would say it was 27 November 2015... the day of the official announcement, and the day these labels first appeared on sale.

FDCs would be interesting, but unlikely as Australia Post would classify these as labels, not stamps.

starling

Post by starling »

So is the new Priority Postage rate $1 plus the obligatory 50 cent peel-and-stick Priority label? Making the effective rate $1.50 or am I missing something?

Scott
Please visit my on-line store - http://www.scottstarling.com.au
-

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

stampchris wrote:
FDCs would be interesting, but unlikely as Australia Post would classify these as labels, not stamps.
And their problem with making FDC of those is ................................ ? :mrgreen:

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

starling wrote:So is the new Priority Postage rate $1 plus the obligatory 50 cent peel-and-stick Priority label? Making the effective rate $1.50 or am I missing something?

Scott
You gotta get out more Scott!

Overpaid CEO Fahour has been aiming at this $1.50 First Class letter rate most of this year. "1-4 Days" is the normal service we get now for 70c. He has more than DOUBLED the cost of the exact same service, but the spin Doctors at AP are not saying that in so many words.

We are like the UK now -- First Class and Second Class letter mail.

I've predicted for 6 months in "Stamp News" we'd have a $1.50 letter rate unless the public objected, and clearly they did not bother. Pretty dumb not to, and it is now too late. :roll:
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

DJCMH

Re: Australia Post gets OK to up letter rate: $1.50, Jan 2,

Post by DJCMH »

Aus$1.00 just to mail a letter in Australia via slow track. $1.50 for "priority" delivery??
:shock:
*smh*

Thankfully it looks like here in the USA the first-class letter rate (which is not split into 2 tiers of service) will remain US$0.49 going into 2016. Parcel rates are going up quite a bit (8-12% increases) but basic letter mail is being held at current rate. Mail a letter from Caribou, Maine to Agana, Guam and it's still only US$0.49 for the first ounce (28 grams) and only US$0.22 for each additional ounce/28 grams of weight.

Guess one doesn't need to raise rates nearly 50% in one year when the head of your Postal operations makes only a base salary of US$275K.

Really, the head of Oz post makes Aus$4 Million/year???? What the heck does the PM take home?
APS #173088 Stamp Catalog Coordinator for Colnect Online Catalogue https://colnect.com/en/stamps

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”