WANTED: "The de la Rue Collection" handbook by Frank L. Walton

There are some superb and incredibly useful reference books, and catalogues out there. And tools to measure perforations or paper thickness or LED magnifiers etc Please add your new discoveries - and recommendations to this forum. As in all forums, you can post photos of your favourites and recommendations.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Luis78
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

WANTED: "The de la Rue Collection" handbook by Frank L. Walton

Post by Luis78 »

Hello,

I can't find this book anywhere online. I'm wondering if any stampboarder has access to it?

If so, there's a couple of questions I'd like to pose.

Thanks in advance.
Worldwide "Bird" stamps collector - I collect with my father
sebjarod
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Re: "The de la Rue Collection" by Frank L. Walton

Post by sebjarod »

Luis78 wrote:Hello,

I can't find this book anywhere online. I'm wondering if any stampboarder has access to it?

If so, there's a couple of questions I'd like to pose.

Thanks in advance.
Hello. If nobody can help you in the next two months, I'll be in London late July where I surely can look into this book at the RPSL library.
chipg
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!

Post by chipg »

Came across this description on the "wish list" from a librarian for the US National Postal Museum in Washington:

A printed description of the De La Rue Collection of philately, a collection of correspondence, day books and designs from the stamp makers De La Rue, currently held by the British Postal Museum and Archive. The work is currently being compiled by Frank Walton, vice president of the Royal Philatelic Society London, and is estimated that it will be priced at £480 ($785 USD) per set.

A library search shows copies at the Western Philatelic Library, the Greene Foundation, and the RPSL.

I don't know if that's what you're looking for, but as Frank Walton is the current President of the RPSL, you can reach him through them and ask directly where you might be able to refer to (or acquire) a copy (he's a very nice guy and very approachable).
Chip
sebjarod

Post by sebjarod »

Browsing the RPSL Catalogue, I found this page including access to scan to De La Rue archives per countries:

Now dead link deleted. Admin

I remember that Frank Walton asked the help of RPSL members to read and help indexing these documents. A book was published but with a very limited printing depending on ordering it well in advance.
Luis78

Post by Luis78 »

Thank you so much for your replies; that link is exactly what I need!

What a fantastic body of work, I'm sure I'm going to lose many hours browsing through it :wink:
briggia
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by briggia »

What an incredible resource!!!! Agreed, heaps of reading material to be had here.......
Whilst growing my usage collection, I also collect other stuff.
aethelwulf
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by aethelwulf »

That would be a great book to have the original of. :shock:
Collecting Mongolia; Thailand; Indo-China; Mourning Covers; OHMS.
Luis78

Post by Luis78 »

chipg wrote:a collection of correspondence, day books and designs from the stamp makers De La Rue, currently held by the British Postal Museum and Archive.
Certainly not true. Stanley Gibbons have been, at least since the beginning of this year, offering many of the items "ex de la Rue archives" for sale.

I have no idea when they bought them, or why they're selling them now (because they're broke? :lol: )

My father and I acquired two of such items (illustrated in pages 6540 and 6550). At, what we feel, a bargain price.
A Helmich

Post by A Helmich »

The De La Rue archives were sold during the mid 1970's by Robson Lowe auctions.

A lot of the Western Australian material was in the M Bracchi collection which was sold to Lord Vestey about 1981.

May 2015 the Lord Vestey Western Australia was sold by Spink auctions.

Stanley Gibbons most probably purchased material from the auction.
Protect the Black Swan, hunt ducks.
Exposing forgeries.
aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

Luis78 wrote:My father and I acquired two of such items (illustrated in pages 6540 and 6550). At, what we feel, a bargain price.
Shh, don't say that, SG will go back and re-price their stock...even higher.
Collecting Mongolia; Thailand; Indo-China; Mourning Covers; OHMS.
Luis78

Post by Luis78 »

aethelwulf wrote:SG will go back and re-price their stock...even higher.
We don't buy stamps from SG, as we can always find them cheaper elsewhere.

However, when it comes to proofs and essays, they have very interesting material, some of it overpriced, but some at reasonable prices. We were willing to pay more for those we bought; that's why we feel we got them cheap.
sebjarod

Post by sebjarod »

Luis78 wrote:
chipg wrote:a collection of correspondence, day books and designs from the stamp makers De La Rue, currently held by the British Postal Museum and Archive.
Certainly not true. Stanley Gibbons have been, at least since the beginning of this year, offering many of the items "ex de la Rue archives" for sale.

I have no idea when they bought them, or why they're selling them now (because they're broke? :lol: )

My father and I acquired two of such items (illustrated in pages 6540 and 6550). At, what we feel, a bargain price.
The story is that, before the sale, the De La Rue archives were microfilmed. Spink lent these microfilms to the RPSL. The Society digitised them, indexed them with the help of its members before putting the images in its web catalogue.
http://www.stampprinters.info/15p42%20PRINT%20GB%20DLR%20RPSL%20Book.pdf
Luis78

Post by Luis78 »

Thank you all for your inputs, helping me understand how things happened for these last decades. I really can't thank you enough, and do let me explain:

I came across this topic:

http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=27923

And got hooked. I sat down with my father, we concluded our collection was very weak in "WA Swans", and that we should invest and focus on them, and invest we did.

Well, collecting "swans" took me to the next level: know more about them. So I went from "Hunter-Gatherer" to "Apprentice WA Philatelist", so to speak :lol:

And the more I delve into the Philately of Western Australia, the more fascinated I get.

So do share all your thoughts, they are invaluable to me. Again, my "thank you!"
ChrisJGriffiths
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!

Post by ChrisJGriffiths »

This really is a great resource. I collect late Queen Victoria Great Britain stamps and this book covers so many of them. It has always bugged me that these essays below are described as being produced by Charles Skipper & East when they are clearly De La Rues work:

On looking through the archives lo and behold I have found the very same image on page 131 of the book and so I think at last I can conclusively prove that the catalogues are wrong:
https://www.rpsl.org.uk/documents/dlrc/Great_Britain/index.html?PageIndex=131
Franzjoseph
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by Franzjoseph »

briggia wrote:What an incredible resource!!!! Agreed, heaps of reading material to be had here.......
Be very cautious with the text written on the pages: the DLR archivist who prepared these more than 3500 album pages of material extracted from the archives did not do many cross checks so it is possible that the provided information is not 100% correct. This is certainly true for the pages for Italy, where there are blatant errors, which could have been avoided simply reading all the documentation from which such material had been extracted.
sebjarod wrote:
Luis78 wrote:
The story is that, before the sale, the De La Rue archives were microfilmed. Spink lent these microfilms to the RPSL. The Society digitised them, indexed them with the help of its members before putting the images in its web catalogue.
http://www.stampprinters.info/15p42%20PRINT%20GB%20DLR%20RPSL%20Book.pdf
When DLR decided to sell the material of philatelic interest still present in their archives (some had already been sold over the years) this was extracted from the documentation where it had been preserved and the remaining "paper" was placed in custody of the National Postal Museum. So the correspondence books and the day books are still there and it is a real shame to see the pages of the day books cut out for removing specimens, essays or just stamps pasted to the pages.

The removed material was organized in more than 3500 album pages by the DLR archivist (with some bad effects as said above) and the whole given to Robson Lowe for selling. Robbie organized a series of auctions and the material started to flow in the philatelic market. Very wisely Robson Lowe made two sets of color photographs (slides, I believe) of all the pages before selling, keeping one for him (the other now is in some British institution, I seem to remember the BL).

When the Robson Lowe auction house was bought by Spink, also the set of photographs changed hands. Some years ago, the Spink set of photos was loaned to the Royal Philatelic Society, who digitized all them making the digital images available to the members on the Society website, asking for help in indexing such mass of information. Then the RPSL launched the printing of the whole collection in a set of books available only to members on subscription (and one copy only per member). This is why the books are not easily found on the market (and I wonder if any has already appeared).
Michele
GJ50
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Post by GJ50 »

I believe there are 7 sets of the books in Australia.
The RPSV and the Philas Library both have a set and others by individuals.
GJ50
NZ2020 FIAP INTERNATIONAL STAMP EXHIBITION
Auckland
March 19 to 22, 2020
thecloudwatcher
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by thecloudwatcher »

Franzjoseph wrote:Then the RPSL launched the printing of the whole collection in a set of books available only to members on subscription (and one copy only per member). This is why the books are not easily found on the market (and I wonder if any has already appeared).
Michele
A complete set was offered by Grosvenor in their 11 November 2015 auction, it sold for £380 + buyer's premium.
twinklefeet

Post by twinklefeet »

sebjarod wrote: 02 Jun 2016 16:24 Browsing the RPSL Catalogue, I found this page including access to scan to De La Rue archives per countries: http://www.rpsl.org.uk/viewbooks.asp?thisbook=110

I remember that Frank Walton asked the help of RPSL members to read and help indexing these documents. A book was published but with a very limited printing depending on ordering it well in advance.

This link isn’t accessible to me. Anyone have Volume 2? I’m looking for Ceylon

-TF (‘’,)
hatter

Post by hatter »

Hi
that link was posted a few years back and doesn't work now. Probably since the website was redesigned

Login to RPSL site, then choose Catalogue.
scroll down to RPSL Quick Links, take De la Rue collection option
that takes you to a list of the countries, then take View. :)
Hatter
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

Instead of all that palavar - can't you just ADD the relevant current link to save members jumping thru all those hoops?? :roll: :roll: :roll:
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
hatter

Re: "The de la Rue Collection" handbook by Frank L. Walton

Post by hatter »

Hatter
Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

Don't you have to be a member to see any images via the flipbook?

Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"
hatter

Post by hatter »

have you tried the link?

I was logged in when I got the link, so the answer to your question is Probably
the full process starts with Login to RPSL site
Hatter
Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

Obviously I've tried the link, how else did I know there is a flipbook (set to 'private'). The page is just links to data entries, no info, no images.

I'm not a member as most of SB will also not be a member, so that gets most members including the recent request above for Ceylon, nowhere, unfortunately.

Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"
sebjarod

Post by sebjarod »

Allanswood wrote: 11 Nov 2022 08:32 Obviously I've tried the link, how else did I know there is a flipbook (set to 'private'). The page is just links to data entries, no info, no images.

I'm not a member as most of SB will also not be a member, so that gets most members including the recent request above for Ceylon, nowhere, unfortunately.

May I advice you to write to the RPSL secretary ( secretary [at] rpsl.org.uk ) to ask if you may consult those flipbooks on Ceylon (or the ones you need the most). Maybe they might accept such precise research that can attract a new member or free publicity.

As an important publication, Frank Walton's hanbooks must surely be in the library of some societies in Australia, mustn't it?
sebjarod

Post by sebjarod »

Global Administrator wrote: 10 Nov 2022 21:04 Instead of all that palavar - can't you just ADD the relevant current link to save members jumping thru all those hoops?? :roll: :roll: :roll:
Sheriff, you can erase the dead link I posted long ago to avoid any confusion of course.
hatter

Post by hatter »

Back in 2017 Gary posted
I believe there are 7 sets of the books in Australia.

The RPSV and the Philas Library both have a set and others by individuals.

GJ50
Hatter
CMJ
Rescued a MILLION Stampboard Images
Rescued a MILLION  Stampboard Images

Post by CMJ »

Yesterday, (8 February 2023) Cavendish Auctions held a sale of Philatelic Literature, including items from the library of the late Frank Walton.

Amongst the items was a complete set of these fantastic books; most probably Frank's personal copy.

After some competitive bidding, it realised £10,200 (£8,500 + 20% premium)
Cavendish850-416.JPG
bathurst stamper

Post by bathurst stamper »

Not a bad ROI :o
twinklefeet

Post by twinklefeet »

Can anyone identify this signature?
IMG_20230219_0005.jpg

It appears on Essays in the De La Rue Collection books
DE LA RUE collection  p2520.jpg
Vol 2: Page 2520

-TF (‘’,)
admin
Site Administrator
Location: That's on a need to know basis - and YOU do not need to know!

Post by admin »

CMJ wrote: 10 Feb 2023 09:44 Yesterday, (8 February 2023) Cavendish Auctions held a sale of Philatelic Literature, including items from the library of the late Frank Walton.

Amongst the items was a complete set of these fantastic books; most probably Frank's personal copy.

After some competitive bidding, it realised £10,200 (£8,500 + 20% premium)

Quite amazing. But WHY????
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
CMJ

Re: WANTED: "The de la Rue Collection" handbook by Frank L. Walton

Post by CMJ »

I asked myself the very same question.

From memory there were still 4 bidders in at £1,000/£1,500 and then two internet bidders took it very quickly to the final price.

I had dropped out much much earlier :D
admin
Site Administrator
Location: That's on a need to know basis - and YOU do not need to know!

Post by admin »

Issued at £495 in 2014 it is hardly an ancient classic set!
CMJ

Post by CMJ »

Indeed. However it had a very limited print run and had to be ordered in advance; the number printed was the number of advance orders and I would be surprised if it was much more than 100.

Here is the announcemnt of the fothcoming publication of the books from the December 2013 edition of the London Philatelist
LP1411_Page_20.jpeg

Return to “Knowledge really is POWER in this hobby! Catalogues, journals and reference books.”