Aust'n 2008 Gold Medallists instant stamps - Dates of Issue?

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Bort
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Aust'n 2008 Gold Medallists instant stamps - Dates of Issue?

Post by Bort »

I take it someone here will be able to help me. What are the actual issue dates for the individual stamps in the Gold Medallists series?

The http://www.stamps.com.au/olympics/instant-stamps page has the issue date as "Recorded as time of availability" and that they'll be produced "within 24 hours of the Gold Medal presentation ceremony". No date of issue is listed for the (so far) 5 stamps in the series, which isn't helpful to those who want to make up FDCs.

What happens, for instance, if the next day isn't a business day? I note that with the 2004 series there were 5 stamps issued on 23 August (a Monday) for the gold medals won on 19th, 20th and 21st.
asvcat
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Issue dates

Post by asvcat »

I have published the list of GM sheetlet issue dates in my ASV article in October Stamp News.

It is also available on my website. Click on New Issues for full details of every 2008 issue & every variation.

David
ozstamps
PLATINUM Shooting Star *10,000* Posts!
PLATINUM Shooting Star  *10,000* Posts!

Re: Issue dates

Post by ozstamps »

asvcat wrote:I have published the list of GM sheetlet issue dates in my ASV article in October Stamp News.

It is also available on my website. Click on New Issues for full details of every 2008 issue & every variation.

David
How about posting a link to it?
Cosmostamps
Green Star Less Than 10 Posts Member

Time of Availability

Post by Cosmostamps »

Well normally if one were selling something in a shop " time of availability" would mean when it arrived in the shop.

If it were a newspaper for instance it would be " time of printing"

One does not get the local paper a month after its is issued.

The newspaper companies woudl soon go out of business.

Well Australia Post-Time of availability means when its available. They have been printed, what are we waiting for?

Do not forget that Aus Post has collected everyones money and its earning nice interest for them.

Obviously if Australia Post had any competition they would soon be out of business as although the product is printed and available its not able to be delivered to its customers.
asvcat

Link to ASV website New Issues page

Post by asvcat »

For those who want to go straight there, rather than via WWW below, here is the link:

http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/asv/newissues08.htm
Cosmostamps

Perhaps you can put an article in Stamp News

Post by Cosmostamps »

David.

Perhaps you can add a comment in your article in Stamp News about the availability of the Beijing digital stamps- or lack of..
Bort

Post by Bort »

Until I received the reply-notification-email I'd forgotten that I'd posted my query here. Thank you, David, for remembering.

My understanding is that the 15 "outlets" which have the Australian Gold Medallists FDI postmarker have different issue dates. The dates David has on his website (http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/asv/newissues08.htm) apply to the NPC, Melbourne and The Glen outlets, but different issue dates apply to the other outlets.

Generally the issue dates for the other outlets is the next business day, but there's a couple where the issue date is two business days later. For instance, the date of issue at the 3 Qld outlets for the Lisbeth Trickett stamp is 14 August, while it is 12 August at the three Melbourne outlets and 13 August at all the others. The delivery trucks travelling up the Pacific Highway must've have a flat tyre or something.
Cosmostamps

NO chance for FDC of digitally printed

Post by Cosmostamps »

And obviously there is no chance for digitally printed stamps to be cancelled on personal covers as Australia Post will not be able to send them out in the immediate future and in any case not before the 12th September when this service stops.
Has anyone received a letter advising them of how much their order is going to be?
I was told that before any of the digitally printed stamps are sent out a letter is to be sent out confirming the cost of the order.
This will obviously help Australia Post delay the inevitable delivery of the digital issues for a couple more weeks.
asvcat

What is an FDI ?

Post by asvcat »

I have been on holidays for 2 months and missed the Olympics and all the stamp issues - so have had some catching up to do.

I guess it all depends how you define FDI. If a stamp (printed in Melbourne) is first available in Melbourne on a certain day is that not its FDI? The fact that it is transported around Australia to other towns and cities after that day doesn't change the FDI, does it?

The dates on my website and in my Stamp News article are those quoted by Australia Post as "the first day available for sale" after printing. These dates are 1 or 2 days after the final event.

I assume the sheetlets printed on laser printer in China were available at Olympex 2008 in China on the same date. I have ordered some [at] $70 per set. My credit card has not been charged yet. I assume it will be when they are despatched. I believe they have limited the quantity printed to 6000 of each sheet.

They have to tear-up these sheetlets into "stamp pairs" for "The Beijing Collection". If they have any full sheets left then they'll fill the orders, I presume.

I guess if you wanted the China-printed stamps cancelled with the FDI postmark ON THAT DAY you had to be at Olympex 2008. I cannot understand the practice of cancelling stamps with a back-dated "FDI" postmark days after the actual FDI. But that is another topic!

David

PS Why was GM sheetlet No.13 numbered after sheetlet No.12 when the final event was the day before?!
Bort

Re: What is an FDI ?

Post by Bort »

asvcat wrote:Why was GM sheetlet No.13 numbered after sheetlet No.12 when the final event was the day before?!
Australia Post said that the stamps will be issued "within 24 hours of the Gold Medal presentation ceremony."

While Steven Hooker's event was on the Friday, the medal ceremony was the following day. I think the ceremony was early in the Ath's evening session.

By contrast Ken Wallace received his medal soon after his race, both of which occurred on Sat'dee afternoon. So he received his medal before Steven Hooker.
Bort

Re: NO chance for FDC of digitally printed

Post by Bort »

Cosmostamps wrote:And obviously there is no chance for digitally printed stamps to be cancelled on personal covers as Australia Post will not be able to send them out in the immediate future and in any case not before the 12th September when this service stops.
A number of times in phone calls to the Philatelic Bureau I have been told that with the Instant Stamp issues they tend to be flexible about the meaning of the term "one month."
Has anyone received a letter advising them of how much their order is going to be?
Not yet. However I've only ordered one set and I'm not inclined to break up the sheets for FDC purposes.
Faust

Beijing digital sheetlets

Post by Faust »

If you are living outside Australia it is a great effort to obtain those sheetlets.
I am a collector in Belgium for more than 20 years of MNH stamps of Austalia with a standing order with the Australian Post.
First I received a Stamp Bulletin that it was at that time only possible for people living in Austalia to order those sheetlets, later it should be made possible for other.
I looked regulary to the web side nothing chaged during the Olympics.
I decided to mail the Australian Post.
The anwer was they shoud send me an order form.
After a second attemp I received a second copy of Stamp Bulletin.
After consulting the web side again I found an international phone number to order.
An early moning call for me (10hours of difference) and be patient in a queue for 12 minutes, I was able to order the 14 sheetlets.
They are at this moment not arrived but I am hope-ful.
Why making it so difficult and not making it possible with an acceptance note in the standing order?
I missed two years ago the XVIII Commenwealt Games sheetlets.
Stefy
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by Stefy »

Hi
I received the letter from Australia Post telling me how much my Beijing order will cost on Friday. Just giving you guys a heads up that they're on their way :wink:

Finally... :shock:
ozstamps
PLATINUM Shooting Star *10,000* Posts!
PLATINUM Shooting Star  *10,000* Posts!

Re: Beijing digital sheetlets

Post by ozstamps »

Faust wrote:If you are living outside Australia it is a great effort to obtain those sheetlets.
I am a collector in Belgium for more than 20 years of MNH stamps of Australia with a standing order with the Australian Post.
First I received a Stamp Bulletin that it was at that time only possible for people living in Australia to order those sheetlets, later it should be made possible for other.
I looked regularly to the web side nothing changed during the Olympics.
I decided to mail the Australian Post.
The answer was they should send me an order form.
After a second attempt I received a second copy of Stamp Bulletin.
After consulting the web side again I found an international phone number to order.
An early morning call for me (10 hours of difference) and be patient in a queue for 12 minutes, I was able to order the 14 sheetlets.
They are at this moment not arrived but I am hope-ful.
Why making it so difficult and not making it possible with an acceptance note in the standing order?
I missed two years ago the XVIII Commenwealt Games sheetlets.
Absurd. :twisted:

AP pockets about $75 per single SET of these sheets inc post.

Making it difficult for folk to spend $75 is INSANE!

Memo AP .. there is only one Olympics each 4 years .... make hay while the sun shines.

danielch
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by danielch »

here is the 1st day of issue in every city

GlenStephens
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by GlenStephens »

Daniel if you restrict image size to 850 max, the table is a LOT clearer as you can see. :)
waroff49
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Post by waroff49 »

I got my invoice for the digital sheets and other type yesterday/Friday. Paid over the phone.
Waroff49
The last chapter of the Never_Ending Story is being written.
Bort

Post by Bort »

This page, a pdf from this Australia Post page, also has the postmarking dates for the Beijing FDI.

It indicates that the Beijing FDI can be applied to only the first 8 stamps in the series, and that for two of them the date is a day earlier than any of other outlets. (As asvcat/David (above) says this is an interesting base for a discussion on how you define FDI.)
Faust

Gold Medal Digital SHLTS

Post by Faust »

My sheets arrived today, the AP seems to keep there promises.

Frederik.
waroff49
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Post by waroff49 »

I received my digital sheets on Thurs/Fri last week, almost 2 months after the event... Should I go and get them stamped FDI? 2 months after the event, just to show the mockery of AP and its promises.
Waroff49
The last chapter of the Never_Ending Story is being written.

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”