Info sought re possible this Taiwan-China friendship issue stamp folder

Stampboards has 1000s of regular readers who WILL take the time to help out even with the most basic question. If you are new to stamps - or taking up the hobby after a long break, there is a lot to learn. PLEASE do not be shy in asking the simplest of questions .. members here will be delighted to help you with the answers!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

satsuma
I was online for post number TEN MILLION!

Info sought re possible this Taiwan-China friendship issue stamp folder

Post by satsuma »

Hello

I was recently given a presentation folder of what appears to be a Taiwan-China friendship issue.

The front cover of the folder.

Here's one of the six minisheets.

All the text is in Kanji but listed dates include 1964, 1972, 1976, 1980, 1992, 2000, 2001, 2008, 2009.

Is anyone able to provide more information?
maxiewawa
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Re: Info sought re possible Taiwan-China friendship issue

Post by maxiewawa »

I'm browsing stampboards while on the phone; Chinese English translation is a bit difficult in this state so I won't try, but I've found this:

http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_638c74f20101ifbk.html

More 神州胜景 minisheets, this time from HK!

Satsuma-sama, you read 漢字 right? Or are you looking for translations of the text on the stamps too?

EDIT. OFF THE PHONE! The cover shows Taiwan in the cetre, with Taiwanese architecture inside the map, but with mainland Chinese outside. And the minisheet shown contrasts 日月潭, Taiwan's most famous lake, with 西湖, mainland China's. I assume that the other minisheets have similar juxtapositions?

I haven't found much other info googling, except an article that puts its release in June 2011: http://qqbing.net/2951
satsuma

Post by satsuma »

maxiewawa wrote: Satsuma-sama, you read 漢字 right? Or are you looking for translations of the text on the stamps too?

And the minisheet shown contrasts 日月潭, Taiwan's most famous lake, with 西湖, mainland China's. I assume that the other minisheets have similar juxtapositions?

I haven't found much other info googling, except an article that puts its release in June 2011
Hi maxiewawa, thanks for your response.
I struggle to read Japanese, the kana helps a lot. My wife is Japanese and she struggles to get more than the general drift of Chinese Kanji usage. Almost invariably if I express an opinion on Japanese Kanji I have consulted with her first.

What I was trying to find out primarily was the date of issue, seeing there were so many different dates in romaji throughout the text. I googled in English all sorts of word combinations but couldn't come up with anything relevent.

All the minisheets have similar juxtapositions. The other thing I thought unusual was that one stamp in the minisheet has a value and country of origin, whereas the other is basically just a tab. I hadn't seen that kind of thing before and I wondered if China also issued a set with the tabs in this set valued and valid for postage there and the Taiwan stamps converted to tabs.

I don't collect either country so at a later date I'll be running a giveaway competiton to find them a new home. I just wanted to find out a bit more about them first.

I can't see them in Stampworlds 2011 Taiwan listings.
satsuma

Post by satsuma »

Here are the other minisheets:

Apologies. The images could be clearer but I didn't take the sheets out of the sheetholders.
kuikka
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by kuikka »

Where did you see the years? All of these stamps are quite resent as the name of the country in English is "Republic of China (Taiwan)".
If these are not listed in catalogues, they may be personalized minisheets. I have some personalized sheets, although they are different format. Taiwan has issued personalized sheets for more than 10 years.
satsuma

Post by satsuma »

Hi Kuikka
Thanks for your input.

It seems unlikely these are personalised minisheets given the professionalism of the published folder. The folder is published by the Blue Ling Culture Company Ltd based in New Taipei City.

In the folder preamble are the dates 4th July 2008; 15 Dec 2008; 31 Aug 2009. These dates relate to the re-establishment of air services between China and Taipei, and I'm fairly sure that is why the folder was released. What I find strange is the difficulty in finding dates of issue of the stamps individually or the minisheets collectively.

There are no dates in the accompanying text

In the text accompanying this minisheet is the date 1990

In the text accompanying this minisheet are the dates 1976 and 5 April 1980.

In the text accompanying this minisheet are the dates 1964 and 1972

In the text accompanying this minisheet is the date 1992
Apologies. It seems as though I didn't include this image before.

There are no dates in the accompanying text

I was hoping someone who collects Taiwan would be able to tell me off the top of their head more about these.
As I said before, I will be looking for a new home for them and I would like to be able to tell the new owner more than I can now.
Arakan
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by Arakan »

This souvenir folder was issued on June 27, 2011. The miniature sheets were personalized stamps. You won't find these listed in catalogs. 12000 folders were issued and priced at NT$360 a folder. They were targeted for tourists from mainland China.

Starting June 28, 2011 mainland Chinese tourists were allowed individual travel to Taiwan. Prior to this, they must be part of a tour group.
Visit my pictorial cancellation website: http://pcancels.wordpress.com
I Collect Permanent/Scenic pictorial cancellations, China, Taiwan, Japan, Art, Buddhism, Flowers, Fruits, Food/Gastronomy, Mathematics, Scenic Landscape/Landmark, UNESCO World Heritage.
satsuma

Post by satsuma »

Thank you Arakan
That is extremely helpful.

Do you also know the issue dates of the individual stamps?

Thanks
Satsuma
maxiewawa

Post by maxiewawa »

Satsuma-san, post the text, it might clear everything up quite easily! :)
Arakan

Post by Arakan »

The stamps designs were taken from a set of 10 stamps that were issued on May 27, 2011. These were symbols of good fortune in Chinese culture. They were issued with denomination NT$3.50 and NT$5.00. Here is the NT$5.00 version.

When used as personalized stamps, the stamps were reprinted in the customized format, such miniature sheets. They were all issued at the same time as the souvenir folder. You example basically showcases the different tourist attractions in Taiwan and mainland China. This is not the only personalized souvenir folder, there were many others available. You can see some examples on this website

https://www.lanling.com.tw/product_cg117034.html

There really isn't any premium value to them. Each stamp is Scott Catalog valued at the minimum US$0.25. I often see these folders offered at significant discount in Taiwan.
Visit my pictorial cancellation website: http://pcancels.wordpress.com
I Collect Permanent/Scenic pictorial cancellations, China, Taiwan, Japan, Art, Buddhism, Flowers, Fruits, Food/Gastronomy, Mathematics, Scenic Landscape/Landmark, UNESCO World Heritage.
satsuma

Post by satsuma »

Thanks Arakan
That's exactly what I wanted to know.
You've been most helpful.

Maxiewawa: - I don't think 7 pages of Kanji would be of interest to many people on the board. If you personally would like to see it I'll email you direct - but otherwise thanks again for your previous help.

I'll organise a competition in a week or so with this folder as a prize.
mikotz
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Post by mikotz »

I may be able to explain the different years on the sheets - they are the time when the constructions were built (1972,1980), or when the scenic spot was first listed as UNSCO heritage sites (1990). Didn't check all the sheets as I am not familiar with all of them.
Deprotinator
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by Deprotinator »

I wonder how many countries practice this sort of thing. I've seen several "souvenir booklets" from mainland China that are similar. Impressive folder, commemorating an important event, includes a few souvenir sheets with what appears to be stamps. But in reality never was meant to be postally valid, not issued by an official postal entity. It's very confusing.
kuikka

Re: Info sought re possible this Taiwan-China friendship issue stamp folder

Post by kuikka »

Every single stamp shown in this thread is postal valid. If you remove them from the personalized sheet they are just standard postage stamps of that time.

Return to “NO question is too basic or silly - you ask - we WILL help you with it!”