Scott catalog cross reference numbers

General things you want to know. Stamps you can't identify. Catalogue values you need to establish. Advice on ANYTHING stamp related you want. SOMEONE might be able to help. You can post photos of the stamps right here to assist . NOTE: - We have a nearby Forum for basic questions from *NEW* collectors.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

wdryburgh
Green Star Less Than 10 Posts Member

Post by wdryburgh »

For my general WW collection I use Minkus Supreme Global Albums. KRAUSE/MINKUS used their own catalog numbering system for identifying stamps in the albums. Amos Publications (Scott) purchase Minkus a few years ago and no longer make the Scott/Minkus cross reference numbers available. IMHO I believe Scott over the last few years has done much to discourage the stamp hobby with their head in the sand attitude. Many traders in other countries do not use the Scott system so trading by want list is very difficult.

I am looking for possible sites/users that have compiled cross reference lists they are willing to share. Any information would be appreciated.

many thanks,

Wayne
iomoon
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Post by iomoon »

Wayne,

Scott is very protective of their catalog numbers which they have copyrighted.
They do not mind people using their numbers on things like eBay auctions, but if you try to implement a catalog using their numbers they will charge you a copyright fee.
If you attempt to compile a catalog using their and someone else's numbers they will charge you a very LARGE copyright fee.
To most web site producers, it is not worth the expense.

I collect Volcanos on stamps
Eric Casagrande
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!

Post by Eric Casagrande »

iomoon wrote:Wayne,

Scott is very protective of their catalog numbers which they have copyrighted.
They do not mind people using their numbers on things like ebay auctions, but if you try to implement a catalog using their numbers they will charge you a copyright fee.
If you attempt to compile a catalog using their and someone else's numbers they will charge you a very LARGE copyright fee.
To most web site producers, it is not worth the expense.
This is quite true.

What is also interesting, however, is that Michael Rogers has compiled and sells a book co-relating the Scott/Ma/Chan numbers.
librarianc
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Post by librarianc »

Curious thought.........

now that SCOTT owns Minkus, wouldn't a cross-reference chart be SCOTT numbers to Scott numbers?? Would they have to take themselves to court??

Just wunderin...........

John A
Armstrong'sStamps**http://www.armstrongsstamps.ca
Canada Errors, Freaks and Oddities (EFO) - Knowledge is Key.....Libraries work!
wdryburgh

Post by wdryburgh »

Whoa, whoa, WHOA.

Before anyone else lets their imagination take off on a non existent tangent or reads things into my post that aren't there.

I DO NOT wish to publish a catalog of cross reference numbers for publication. This is for my own use.

Also thanks to those that have sent me their lists ... much appreciated.
Eric Casagrande

Re: Scott catalog cross reference numbers

Post by Eric Casagrande »

wdryburgh wrote:Whoa, whoa, WHOA.

Before anyone else lets their imagination take off on a non existent tangent or reads things into my post that aren't there.

I DO NOT wish to publish a catalog of cross reference numbers for publication. This is for my own use.

Also thanks to those that have sent me their lists ... much appreciated.

Your initial post requested websites which published co-relate lists ...
I am looking for possible sites/users that have compiled cross reference lists they are willing to share. Any information would be appreciated.

many thanks,

Wayne
....and IO gave the proper reasons why websites aren't likely going to do such a thing. He never made the suggestion you were looking to publish such a list.

I fail to see where anyone ran off on a non-existing tangent.

Glad you found what you were looking for.
iomoon

Post by iomoon »

Thanks Eric for clarifying my original post.

As someone who has produced a catalog using Scott numbers, I can state that I have paid their copyright fee for just their numbers. It is very reasonable.

However, if you want to include numbers from other catalogs, the cost increase is almost exponential.

Michael Rogers probably has the resources to pay the Scott copyright fee and still make a profit.

Most stamp web site operators do not have such resources and if they attempt to ignore the copyright law will get prosecuted by Scott's lawyers.

That does not mean that you can't pass files around on the internet by and from collectors of similar material.

As long as there is NO MONETARY GAIN from doing so.

Clino
I was online for post number ONE MILLION!
I was online for post number ONE MILLION!

Post by Clino »

If there is no monetary gain, can such lists be posted on this web site?
fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

Clino wrote:If there is no monetary gain, can such lists be posted on this web site?
I doubt if Scott would be very impressed at all if we started posting wholesale cross references of their numbers on a Public Domain BB.

For research and responses to specific questions, and for just a few stamps, I think referencing and cross referencing falls under the "fair use" rule. But to just produce a bulk list of say, Australia (Scott/Gibbons), for no reason - I think Scott would tell Glen to remove it post haste.

Norm
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in Vain
iomoon

Post by iomoon »

I think "impressed" is an understatement.
They will more than probably sue.

What I meant was collectors sending each other collated catalog numbers privately in emails, not publicly airing them on the internet. The latter is a no-no, or very expensive, as far as Scott is concerned.

ozstamps
PLATINUM Shooting Star *10,000* Posts!
PLATINUM Shooting Star  *10,000* Posts!

Post by ozstamps »

Iomoon sums it up very well I think.

Scott are not pleased if anyone makes MONEY from using their numbers without authority.

I'd have no issue if any member here posts a list of Scott number from Bulgaria, and asks others what the SG numbers or Michel or Minkus numbers for these might be etc. Or vice versa

A board like this would be OK under the "fair use" rules on such a basis.

Buying a Scott cat would be a LOT quicker. ;)

Glen
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!
Kunal
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Post by Kunal »

Hi wdryburgh,

I have scott catalogue software. You can ask me if you require any number reference. I would be of some help to you. Just let me know what country stamp you are looking for

Return to “You ask the questions - SOMEONE will have the answers!”