What are the rarest Australian Colonial stamps?

A venue to discuss unusual and interesting items being offered. Report and discuss fakes, forgeries, scammers and con-men. Also fee discussion, and low listing fee promos etc. Discuss feedback. Great items for sale. New policies ..... whatever YOU want!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

luke_coolhand
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

What are the rarest Australian Colonial stamps?

Post by luke_coolhand »

I've been trying to fill a Seven Seas Australian Colonies album for the last six months.

Some stamps are available but expensive, but there are some which I haven't's seen at auction, internet or dealers. I was wondering what other collectors have found to be the hardest stamps to find?

Sometimes price doesn't reflect scarcity. The South Australia 3 pence overprint OS sold for $736 on ebay and was the first I'd seen other than the Sydney forger.

Still have not seen the Western Australian IR one shilling overprint offered for sale anywhere.

Attachments
sa1s.PNG
saos.PNG
Collecting predecimal Australian Used Blocks.

luke_coolhand

Re: What are the rarest Australian Colonial stamps?

Post by luke_coolhand »

The most expensive Australian Colonial stamp I've seen so far. Over $8000 on ebay.
Attachments
saos9.PNG

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Ebay is NOT the place to see rare State stamps offered.

If you think it is, you are living on cloud cuckoo land. :lol: :lol: :lol:

You are an ex-cop ... was buying a ''genuine solid gold Rolex'' in a pub on Friday night for a bargain price for cash a great idea, in your long experience dealing with Crims and scammers and con-men?

And if expensive stamp piece are offered on ebay, they are invariably forged, alerted and/or misdescribed. Buy such pieces on ebay, and you are a complete fool.

They ALL appear at major REAL stamp auctions however.

Has a WA 4d Inverted Frame Swan EVER appeared on ebay. NO.

They sell readily for $100,000s at REAL stamp auctions. :!:

Glen
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

luke_coolhand

Post by luke_coolhand »

Thank goodness the inverted WA four pence isn't listed in the Seven Seas Australian Colonial Album.

I did mention auctions and dealers. Just another rant about ebay. I did mention the Sydney thief so am well aware of fakes, forgeries etc.

I am aware that a number of these stamps need to be purchased with a certificate or from a reputable dealer, some who actually sell on ebay.

Wondering if anyone would like to comment on this NSW 8d Orange Imperf.
Attachments
IMG_1527.jpg

David Benson
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by David Benson »

A scan of the reverse of the 8d. Orange would help,

David B.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

luke_coolhand wrote:
16 Sep 2020 11:03

The South Australia 3 pence overprint OS sold for $736 on ebay and was the first I'd seen other than the Sydney forger.

You really deserve to fill up with your album via ebay. Please NEVER offer it to me for sale. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've seen them before - Bunny Heaven - $1000s wasted on utter garbage.

SG 07 Cat £3,500 = $7,000 sold on ebay for 10% of Gibbons to salivating suckers - but cat £9 WITHOUT the OS.

And it did not occur to you for just a second, that it was likely FORGGGGGGGGGGGGGED ???

Heaven forbid. You just can't make this stuff up.

To offer a tiny bit of education such stamp are NOT offered on ebay. They are sold again, repeat via REAL stamps auctions and dealers.

There are only TWO (genuine) copies known of the stamp below, SG 07a, and one was sold by Spink in recent moths from the Gary Diffen of Melbourne collection. Discussed here of course at the time, for those whose stamp buying vision and interest extends past forged ebay offerings.

https://www.spink.com/lot/20030000377

You cheerfully tell us - "sold for $736 on ebay and was the first I'd seen"

The REAL world price for this stamp, ex Maurice Burrus, and with an RPSL Certificate, was invoiced about $A5,000 WAY over half full SG after 21% Buyer fee, and VAT and taxes added. "Gee, how come they are just $700 on ebay, at 10% of SG ??" ..... I wonder. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Only the genius ebay Bunnies can answer than one!

Glen

Capture.JPG
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Allanswood
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by Allanswood »

The 8d Orange NSW Diadem? Without a better, closer scan, the outside margins of sheets of stamps were hardly bothered to be perforated - it saved time, but gives us some spectacular large margins to "play" with and then you cut the normally perforated sides very tight.

So.... closer in focus scan and what's the watermark?
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

Allanswood wrote:
16 Sep 2020 17:37
The 8d Orange NSW Diadem? Without a better, closer scan, the outside margins of sheets of stamps were hardly bothered to be perforated - it saved time, but gives us some spectacular large margins to "play" with and then you cut the normally perforated sides very tight.

So.... closer in focus scan and what's the watermark?

So true. The edges were usually not perforated. Better to have a dated example, or a pair. You have to be really careful with those 8d Oranges.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Yes we have had many threads on the ebay spivs offering trimmed perforate copies of the 8d Diadems as imperfs for $100s each, to the salivating Bunny BARRHHHRRRGHEEN HUNTAARS.

Who will drool over them for years, until offered to a real dealer or Auction one day, and given a costly lesson in reality. :roll: :roll: :roll:

The COLOUR of the stamp is the usual giveway - (the usual appalling ebay standard cellphone shot above is perfect for them to con others) the watermark will not help as those are the same as the common 1860-1872 perforated issues, which often had huge and even untrimmed margins at side and/or top of sheets.

This one below is NOT an imperf - the lower left perf impressions just show to those whose Dealer Sniff Test is well adjusted. On eBay, a screaming RAAREEEETY - in the sane world of expert eyes - a fake.

ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

Just to add an illustration to all these words, the stamp on the right shows the perforated issue, with large margins top and right. This one is date stamped, thereby giving a deceiver "little scope for improvement", but if it wasn't, they could have compounded with the NSW oval postmark shown on the left stamp (which was still in use).

img576.jpg
New South Wales - sg218 - 8d Yellow

With all of these issues, the evidence is usually in the tiny detail, and whilst its easy (?) to be seduced by visual appeal, "when stamps start fetching serious money" you really do need to think about some form of authentication.

Just to show a few "attention to detail" observances on this thread already ... the Sheriff mentions the Burrus stamp, but that was a "no stop after S" rarity, which catalogues £4500 (versus the £3500 for "with the stop") - woefully under priced, and looking like a bargain, even at Spinks!.

The page you illustrated (which I'm assuming you did not buy, states 1879 and Broad Star - that would make it o22, not o7 (o22 is not priced "as used", in my catalogue).

These are all known with forged overprints, so it might make your collection easier if you only bought "certificated forgeries" ...... Think I'm joking?

forged.jpg
South Australia - 3d on 4d OS Overprint - Forgery.

forged_2.jpg
Brandon Certificate, stating Forgery.

£27 for an exhibit complete with "a certificate of forgery" is a novelty (to some).

If you really want to do your collection proud, you will seek out the certificates that say "genuine", as things like
"a dealer told me it was genuine 20 years ago" never gets you top dollar in todays market.

eBay is not a bad marketplace, it has some top names, and quality items, in the mix ...... but you have to have a real eye for detail, an "opinion you trust" on hand, to verify your doubts (within the returns period).

I try to follow the buying maxim "If in doubt, don't".

dukeprince
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by dukeprince »

I have been filling a Seven Seas Colonies for 20 years, it is my favourite.

Do I have some doubtfull stamps in there , the answer is yes as I have no intention of selling all my assets to fill it.
I have no regrets and regard the doubtful as spacefillers, and spacefiller prices were paid for them so I press on.

My enjoyment is not hindered and several Stampie mates have expressed admiration even knowing some are in doubt, no point hiding it as you do nothing for your standing with your peers when showing them.

Spacefillers rise at the same rate as good Stamps I have found when replacing them , its a great hobby at any level , just be true to yourself and others, I have not seen a better than my collection locally I can add for the record , but Perth is not the home of the top collectors so its a nice collection in a small pond so to speak.

Enjoy the Hobby always for that is what its about.

luke_coolhand

Post by luke_coolhand »

back8dd.jpg

I purchased this on a page with several other stamps including two Sydney views.

Appears inverted.

Attachments
back8d.jpg

David Benson

Post by David Benson »

If you valued it over 10c., then you overpaid,

David B.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Yes, the Crown over NSW watermark only occurs on the perforated 8d issue. As (almost) all collectors realise. A glance at a catalogue tells anyone that.

But Luke will not care about such minor details, as he is cheerfully filling up his face different album.

Why spend money on a SG catalogue - cuts into the funds left to chase up those wonderful ebay Bunny BAHHRRRGEEEENZ You just can't make this stuff up. :roll:

luke_coolhand

Post by luke_coolhand »

Yes I do have a Stanley Gibbons catalogue and should have looked it up. :D

Originally took a gamble on a stamp on a page without being able to see the watermark. Win some lose some.

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

Trimmed perforated 8d Yellow/Oranges to create imperfs are a plague of biblical proportions.

The only way to be certain it is imperforate is to buy:

(a) a used example dated prior to February 1860.
(b) a pair.
(c) a single well-tied to cover (but even this can be sketchy).

Here is a blast from the past, we have seen this movie before:

Rod Perry wrote:
09 Feb 2019 12:16
MJ's pet wrote:
W5LDY wrote:A couple of examples for shade comparison, first a pair, apparently rather scarce in multiples.
A nice item for sure. A very seasoned NSW collector (I think it was "Manwood") used to say that the 5d Diadem Imperf can ONLY really be collected in pairs.

The twist in that sage advice is that used pairs are screamingly rare.
The Diadem 5d and 8d imperforate are best collected in pairs.

Date alone is not necessarily a determinant for imperforate status.

The 5d perf. 12 was issued in 1863, but imperfs continued to be available somewhat later.

The pair above, for example, was used mid-1865.

On cover can be a good determinant for imperforate, particularly if dated pre-1863 (5d), and pre-Feb 1860 (8d).

The 8d can be a particularly dangerous stamp for the unprepared.

I've witnessed cut-down perf. 13 8d red-orange unused (SG 167a - Cat £475) sell at auction for over AU$20,000 (uncertified).

Rod

luke_coolhand

Post by luke_coolhand »

Luckily, it actually cost me nothing after I on sold the various other stamps it came with.

I was aware how difficult this particular stamp is to find. Will stick with finding a pair or dated copy. Thanks

Attachments
nsw.PNG

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Yep, it all works out fine on eBay -- buy fakes there and sell fakes there - all kind of balances out -- no-one knows or cares, as they never own or read catalogues, and everyone lives happily ever after, until a real dealer or auction finally gets to break the news about the BBAAHHRRGEENZ one day.

Even on ebay I'd be surprised anyone would think that 2d ''Sydney View'' with the absurd corner cancel was genuine, that I can see even from the usual mega fuzzy eBay scan tiny image, but you know, folks with Crown NSW 8d ''imperfs'' that have no idea they have fakes just pass the other fake stuff along the Bunny daisy chain. There is always someone even less wise down the chain there. :!:

Gotta luv ebay.

Glen

Return to “All Online Stamp Auction related discussion and overview”