Tech help with adding attachments please?

These boards are a cinch to use, but if BB's are new to you, here are a few basic tips for new users to help you settle in. How to post, edit, how to add photos or avatars etc. Who are the Board Moderators etc. Please feel free to ask questions or add suggestions yourself. Add threads here re any technical issues that might concern you.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

deshill
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Tech help with adding attachments please?

Post by deshill »

Hi Guys,

Tried to add an image via attachment tab (add files) computer says no: Its a BMP file

any advice?
Last edited by Global Administrator on 02 Dec 2020 10:52, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Expanded rather vague heading, to make sense to members

Ubobo.R.O.
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: Tech help attachments

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

I don't know what a BMP file is Des. Can you do jpeg's ?
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !

deshill

Re: Tech help attachments

Post by deshill »

I guess that problem then.. I try convert - thanks a ton !!

ViccyVFU

Re: Tech help with adding attachments please?

Post by ViccyVFU »

BMP is a bitmap file.
They are usually quite bloated (no compression), so we use jpeg here.

To convert BMP to JPEG (or.JPG) is simplicity itself, if you are running Microsoft.

Find the BMP file in the directory.
Move the cursor over it, and <right click>.
Select <Open with MS Paint>
When open, then select (from the toolbar) : File / Save as
(You can change the name, or leave it the same)
File type underneath needs to be changed to JPG / JPEG

You should then be easily able to upload that file (assuming its under 1,000 pixels maximum dimension).

(Please declare your config, if you need instructions for a MAC, or Linux, or whatever).

RevRed+
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by RevRed+ »

Is it possible to add an image on Stampboards, from, say the internet, by cutting and pasting, or copying and pasting (as would normally be the case)? Having to save the image on my computer and then attaching it to a post is time consuming and that's not counting having to go back into the computer and deleting the extraneous image.
Thanks.

RevRed+
Red.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Poor you. My heart bleeds.

This took all of 10 seconds using the ''Snipping Tool'' button every laptop for 10 years has as a standard Windows feature.

Admin

Capture.JPG
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

AMark

Post by AMark »

deshill,

I am not sure if this works in Windows (because I have not used Windows for this in quite some time) but if you click on the file once and (after a second or two) then click on it again it will be highlighted. This means that you can change the name of the file, but also you can change the file format. Try changing .bmp to .jpeg or .jpg or .png. Once you have made the change, you should be able to upload your image. :)
It does pay if you are humble and kind.
Cover Exchange Celebrating 10th Anniversary!
May 2021 Cover Exchange Participant List ..... OR .... May 2021 Postcard Exchange Participant List

Post by 22028 »

RevRed+ wrote:
02 Dec 2020 11:21

Is it possible to add an image on Stampboards, from, say the internet, by cutting and pasting, or copying and pasting (as would normally be the case)? Having to save the image on my computer and then attaching it to a post is time consuming and that's not counting having to go back into the computer and deleting the extraneous image.
Thanks.

RevRed+

Most if not all members were very happy to have a direct upload feature we added recently, instead of the previous system linking images from the internet from an external source ...
Collecting Interests: Tibet, Nepal-Classic Issues, Iran-First Issue (Lion stamps), Iraq-Railway stamps 1928-1942, Overland Mail Baghdad - Haifa, SCADTA, the provisional Registration stamps issue 1921, Colombia, the private carrier stamps.

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

.png
.png

.jpg
.jpg

.gif
.gif

BMP was rejected as an invalid format.
TIFF said cannot verify dimensions so not loadable.
But .GIF .JPG and .PNG all good.

JPG by far the smallest file.

Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

deshill

Post by deshill »

Hi all, and thanks for the help and advice .. clearly a novice on this board, did my images show?

I generally use BMP to keep images "clean" to upload into my collecting software,

OZ_ROO_SG2db marked jpg.jpg
OZ_ROO_SG5ew_Front_v1..jpg
OZ_ROO_SG5ew_Front_v1..jpg
OZ_ROO_SG5ew_Bacl_v1..jpg

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Allanswood wrote:
02 Dec 2020 11:47

JPG by far the smallest file.

Yes it takes SEVEN times less space. They all look identical to me. Does anyone see the slightest difference? :)

And as I pay the now massive hosting bill around here, on over a million images, I hope EVERYONE uses jpeg where possible please.

Glen
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

deshill wrote:
02 Dec 2020 12:38

I generally use BMP to keep images "clean" to upload into my collecting software,

You simply need to buy a better scanner, and not find a board that for whatever reason, supports BMP images.

Those above are all 3rd rate for quality I'd suggest, all fuzzy, blurry and pixellated, so as ALWAYS - rubbish in = rubbish out - no file format will make them look better. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Buy a Canon Lide scanner like most of us here use, and you will get this grade - even using a humble jpeg -

GB 1840 1d black PB 12-20.jpg

This Canon Lide image I did yesterday scan above of a 1d Black as a jpeg, takes up about HALF as much less bandwidth than this .png small image below - so please folks we do not need to re-invent the wheel - ONLY use jpegs here please -

image0-002.jpg

And this Specimen Roo is HALF the hosting size of the small non-specimen one.

Admin

deshill

Post by deshill »

OMG.. was not my intension to compare... but grateful for the advice on scanners - which would you go for the 70 or 90?

Actually, my question was about the ID of stamp even if they were 3rd rate.

deshill

Post by deshill »

Hi Sheriff...

I now get what you mean .. and of course, in future, I will only use jpeg on posts .. and have taken your advice an bought a cannon LiDE400... a bit annoying that it does not do Wifi ..but can live with that if it produces the great images you guys are producing ...

My point on bmp, and am no expert - was that I use EzStamp / Ezimage, which helps me with inventorying and scanning.. can scan 20 stamps and auto separate, deskew and clean up background ... and am advised bmp is best for this as those functions impact pixels - and the jpeg after.

Sorry for misunderstanding

stallzer

Post by stallzer »

The difference between BMP (Bitmap) and JPEG (Joint Photographic experts group) is that the Bitmap is an uncompressed Bitmap images and JPEGs are compressed digital images. Key word there, compressed. This means less bandwidth to store image.

I scan all my stamps [at] 1200 DPI and use the site upload and site hosting for all images now. Waaaaaayyyyyy easier than using a 3rd party hosting site such as Flickr, Imageshack, or Photobucket.
"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car."

RevRed+

Post by RevRed+ »

22028 wrote:
02 Dec 2020 11:38
RevRed+ wrote:
02 Dec 2020 11:21

Thanks.

RevRed+

Most if not all members were very happy to have a direct upload feature we added recently, instead of the previous system linking images from the internet from an external source ...
There was no mention of "an external source"!

If I rightclick on an image anywhere on the internet, or on a board such as this, or in an email, or anywhere else, I can then click "once" to paste into an email, or to a word document or wherever. No external source is involved. A most straightforward process, I would have thought.
That is not the case here and that is fine. I merely made the enquiry. :)
Red.

Return to “New to Bulletin Boards? A few useful tips and technical threads. AND add your suggestions too.”