Share your Irish postcards - from all eras.

Whether we own them or not we all love LOOKING at philatelic Gems and goodies. Add your favourites today. Add your comments WHY this stamp or cover or item is superb or unusual. Or lift them from an auction site to share with other members, if that does not breach their copyright notice.

Moderators: Justin, snaws, Volunteer Moderator Team

RevRed+
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Share your Irish postcards - from all eras.

Post by RevRed+ »

I'll start off with my collection of postcards of Dunmore, Co. Waterford.

Wiki says: "Dunmore East (Irish: An Dún Mór Thoir) is a popular tourist and fishing village in County Waterford, Ireland. Situated on the west side of Waterford Harbour on Ireland's southeastern coast, it lies within the barony of Gaultier (Gáll Tír – "foreigners' land" in Irish): a reference to the influx of Viking and Norman settlers in the area."

"In 1812 a decision was made at Westminster to create an entirely new landing point for passengers and the Royal Mail coming to Ireland from London and southern England. The location selected for the erection of a pier was Dunmore East. In 1814 dramatic changes took place when Alexander Nimmo, the Scottish engineer (builder of Limerick's Sarsfield Bridge) commenced work on the new harbour at Dunmore.

The work consisted mainly of a massive pier or quay with an elegant lighthouse at the end. Nimmo's original estimate had been £20,000 but at the time of his death in 1832 about £93,000 had been spent and the final cost was £108,000. By then (1837) the harbour had started to silt up, and the arrival of steam meant that the winding river could be negotiated easily, so the packet station was transferred to Waterford.

The great sheltered harbour then constructed meant that Dunmore East was to gradually become an important fishing port. It also then developed into a very popular tourist resort and it is now a favourite port of call for large cruise liners visiting the south-east of Ireland."
Dunmore East.JPG

The first postcard is an early one of the harbour, before reconstruction, published by W. Lawrence. It was posted in Dunmore East on 20th April 1906. As this was before separation from the UK, it bears an UK stamp.

DE1.jpg

DE2.jpg

The next one, by Valentines is also of the harbour, which is a lot emptier than the first one. The card was not posted.

DE3.jpg

DE4.jpg

To be continued.......
Red.

RevRed+

Re: Share your Irish postcards.

Post by RevRed+ »

The first card is somewhat unusual in that it was posted in France, I think in Beziers. Can anyone make out the date?
And if anyone cares to translate the message, I would be grateful - it is very small writing. The card is part of The Milton "Glazette" Series, No. 2950
DE5.jpg

DE6.jpg

And the next one is by a local photographer George D. Croker, 11 The Mall, Waterford. It was posted in Dunmore on 10th June 1911 - note the different postmark.
DE7.jpg

DE8.jpg

Red.

RevRed+

Post by RevRed+ »

Another Waterford produced card, this time by T Getz & Co., The Quay, Waterford.
It is postmarked Waterford 21st September 1903.
DE1.jpg

DE2.jpg

In this card, which is unposted, the harbour is beginning to be altered. The card was produced by Cardall Ltd., Dublin.
DE3.jpg

DE4.jpg

Red.

RevRed+

Post by RevRed+ »

Moving away from the harbour to Convent Road in the Upper Village, we have a card with a motley crew. A shoeless urchin and someone in some kind of uniform (coastguard?). The card was produced by Hughes, The Mall, Waterford. Waterford city is 12 miles from Dunmore East, on the River Suir. I suspect the photograph is older than the postmarked date of 6th May 1920 in Waterford.
DE5.jpg

DE6.jpg

And another card with the same location. It is a Valentines card. This one appears to have been posted in Coleraine, Co. Derry on 21st August 1905. It is backstamped in Toulon-sur-Allier, France.
DE7.jpg

DE8.jpg

Red.

RevRed+

Post by RevRed+ »

And now a card of the Lower Village. This was/is the site of a popular beach by the Strand Hotel (the clue is in the name!). Another Lawrence postcard. For some reason, the stamp is folded around the postcard. Postmarked 25th August 1903 in Waterford. Addressed to Brighton, but written in French.
The spire of the church that can be seen is that of the Protestant St. Andrew's Church, built in 1817.
https://www.buildingsofireland.ie/buildings-search/building/ ... -waterford
The Catholic church, the Holy Cross, is not located in the village at all, but is to be found in Killea, way up a hill. Why this is so, I do not know. I've heard it said that it is there because it is the centre of the parish.
DE1.jpg

DE2.jpg

And back to the harbour. Another Valentine's card, this time posted in Heswall, The Wirral, Cheshire UK on 24th May 1945
DE3.jpg

DE4.jpg

Red.

RevRed+

Post by RevRed+ »

Another view of the harbour, including the lighthouse, in this B&W postcard. No manufacturer shown, just "Printed in Great Britain." The boat furthest to the right appears to be the RNLI Lifeboat.
The card was posted in Dunmore - An Dúnmór in Irish, on 4th August 1959. "Port Lairge" is the Irish for Waterford.
DE1.jpg

DE2.jpg

A colourised card, again of the harbour, "Printed in Great Britain". This one was posted on 4th July 1954.
DE3.jpg

DE4.jpg

Red.

RevRed+

Post by RevRed+ »

Another B&W card of the harbour, from a different angle. The card is one of "The Milton Series" - printed in Saxony.
It bears a 1p red definitive, postmarked Dunmore East on 9th July 1929.
DE5.jpg

DE6.jpg

This photo on this card was taken from near the lighthouse. It bears 1p red definitive by two. Postmarked An Dúnmhór on 14th July 1947. It is a "Signal Series" card.
DE7.jpg

DE8.jpg

Red.

RevRed+

Post by RevRed+ »

This time a card with an aerial shot of Dunmore, taken from the estuary, facing back to Dunmore. The upper village can be seen. The card is unposted. Printed in the Republic of Ireland by Aero-Views, Dublin.
DE1A.jpg

DE2.jpg

The next card shows the Pilot Boat setting out. The large building on the hill was a Convent at the time.
The card was posted in what looks like Waterford, but the stamp has been removed - vandal! It is a "Carbo Colour" postcard by Valentines & printed in Gt.Britain.
DE3.jpg

DE4.jpg

Red.

RevRed+

Post by RevRed+ »

A card of Dunmore in the 1960s/1970s by Cardall. Some rather old style wooden fishing trawlers can be seen along with a small German ship, the "Johann Schulte" registered in Emden. Dunmore, for many years was largely a herring fishery. Once salted and put in wooden barrels, the fish were loaded into such small boats and also into Dutch "luggers" and factory ships. The RNLI lifeboat can also be seen in the foreground.
The card was posted, but left in the sun and the writing faded.
The postmark is Dún Mór, Port Lairge 30th May 1977.
DE1.jpg

DE2.jpg

A more modern card. The extension to the pier beyond the lighthouse can be seen; also the new quay on the left.
The lifeboat is at anchor in the middle. The card was produced by The Intacta Print Co. of Waterford.
DE3.jpg

The card was stamped at the Waterford Collectors' Road Show of 1996 with the three stamps of 50th Anniv. of the Irish Naval Service.
DE4.jpg

Red.

RevRed+

Post by RevRed+ »

The Royal National Lifeboat Institution at Dunmore East.

https://tidesandtales.ie/dauntless-courage-book-review/?utm_ ... 7+Tales%29
Red.

RevRed+

Post by RevRed+ »

A nice sunny tranquil shot of Dunmore in this card by J. Arthur Dixon, England. It bears the 3 pence Thomas J. Clarke stamp of 1966 and was posted in Dunmore on 12th August 1966.
DE1.jpg

DE2.jpg

This is a view of the Lower Village, with the Strand Hotel. The grassy area in front has now been built upon.
DE3.jpg

It is a John Hinde postcard with a 4p definitive, posted in Ceatharlach, which is Carlow in English on 25th July 1962.
DE4.jpg

Red.

RevRed+

Post by RevRed+ »

Another view of the Strand Hotel (which is still trading in 2020) and the Lower Village.
DE1.jpg

This one has the Cardinal Newman 2p stamp, postmarked Dún Mór on 10th September 1954.
DE2.jpg

This card, in colour, shows both beaches in the Lower Village, i.e. "The Strand" in the foreground and "Councillor's".
DE3.jpg

This one has the 72c Commissioners of Irish Lights stamp, postmarked by the Cork Stamp & Coin Exhibition on 12th November 2016.
DE4.jpg

Red.

RevRed+

Post by RevRed+ »

The Lower Village again on a card by Lawrence, Publisher, Dublin. Several thatched cottages can be seen.
DE1.jpg

Postmarked in Portlaw, another small village in Co. Waterford on what appears to be 20th September 1909.
DE2.jpg

A reproduction of a postcard showing the harbour, with some fine looking yachts and what I think is an old Irish Navy corvette in the estuary.
DE3.jpg

Red.

Ubobo.R.O.
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

Dear Sir or Madam,
May I start putting up some of my Ireland postcards ?
Or are we just doing County Waterford ?
Yours truly,
The Puffin.
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

ire1.jpg
The Skelligs. County Kerry. Ireland. 2000. Postally used to Australia.
The Skelligs. County Kerry. Ireland. 2000. Postally used to Australia.
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

ire3.jpg
Card A. Rosses Point. County Sligo. Ireland. Postally used to Australia.
Card A. Rosses Point. County Sligo. Ireland. Postally used to Australia.
Card B. Cliffs of Moher. County Clare. Ireland. 2000. Postally used to Australia.
Card B. Cliffs of Moher. County Clare. Ireland. 2000. Postally used to Australia.

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

ire6.jpg
Card A. Dublin City Ireland. 2001. Postally used to Australia.
Card A. Dublin City Ireland. 2001. Postally used to Australia.
Card B. Molly Malone. Dublin Ireland. 2001. Postally used to Australia.
Card B. Molly Malone. Dublin Ireland. 2001. Postally used to Australia.

RevRed+

Post by RevRed+ »

Delighted to see your postcards! Dunmore East has been my principal postcard interest for many years, hence I started with my collection.

Red.
Red.

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

IMG_20201222_0001.jpg
Ballynahinch Castle. Connemara. County Galway. Ireland. 2002. Postally used to Australia.
Ballynahinch Castle. Connemara. County Galway. Ireland. 2002. Postally used to Australia.

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

IMG_20201222_0002.jpg
Cashel House Hotel. Connemara. County Galway. 2001. Postally used to Australia.
Cashel House Hotel. Connemara. County Galway. 2001. Postally used to Australia.

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

IMG_20201222_0005.jpg
Gone Fishing. Ballynahinch. Connemara. County Galway. Ireland. 2006. Postally used to Australia.
Gone Fishing. Ballynahinch. Connemara. County Galway. Ireland. 2006. Postally used to Australia.

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

IMG_20201222_0006.jpg
Killybegs. County Donegal. Ireland. 2003. Postally used to Australia.
Killybegs. County Donegal. Ireland. 2003. Postally used to Australia.

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

IMG_20201222_0009.jpg
Bundoran. County Donegal. Ireland. 2016. Postally used to Australia.
Bundoran. County Donegal. Ireland. 2016. Postally used to Australia.

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

IMG_20201222_0010.jpg
Lough Eske. County Donegal. Ireland. 1979. Postally used to Australia.
Lough Eske. County Donegal. Ireland. 1979. Postally used to Australia.

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

IMG_20201222_0013.jpg
Traffic Jam. Ireland. 2002. Postally used to Australia.
Traffic Jam. Ireland. 2002. Postally used to Australia.

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

IMG_20201222_0014.jpg
Leenane Connemara. County Galway. Ireland. 2002. Postally used to Australia.
Leenane Connemara. County Galway. Ireland. 2002. Postally used to Australia.

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

IMG_20201222_0017.jpg
Ballina. County Mayo. Ireland. 2000. Postally used to Australia.
Ballina. County Mayo. Ireland. 2000. Postally used to Australia.

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

IMG_20201222_0018.jpg
Mount Falcon Castle. Ballina. County Mayo. Ireland. 2002. Postally used to Australia.
Mount Falcon Castle. Ballina. County Mayo. Ireland. 2002. Postally used to Australia.

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

IMG_20201222_0021.jpg
Bangor Village. County Mayo. Ireland. 2002. Postally used to Australia.
Bangor Village. County Mayo. Ireland. 2002. Postally used to Australia.

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

IMG_20201222_0022.jpg
Lough Ree near Athlone. County Westmeath. Ireland. Postally used to Northern Ireland.
Lough Ree near Athlone. County Westmeath. Ireland. Postally used to Northern Ireland.

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

IMG_20201222_0025.jpg
Dublin. Ireland. 2009. Postally used to Australia.
Dublin. Ireland. 2009. Postally used to Australia.

RevRed+

Post by RevRed+ »

And to finish off Dunmore East - 4 modern cards, all not posted.
DE1.jpg

DE2.jpg

DE3.jpg

DE4.jpg

Red.

RevRed+

Post by RevRed+ »

Now we move up the River Suir from Dunmore East towards Waterford city, but we briefly stop at Passage East. There is a Passage West downriver from Cork city. It has an interesting history.
https://www.thebeachguide.co.uk/republic-of-ireland/county-waterford/passage-east.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passage_East
Passage1.jpg

Passage 2.jpg

Passage3.jpg

Passage4.jpg

Passage5.jpg

Red.

RevRed+

Post by RevRed+ »

Passage East photos:
This was originally a church on a steep hill overlooking Passage. Now a private residence.
DSC03314.JPG

20201009_170542_HDR.jpg

A view across the Suir to Co. Wexford.
DSC03305.JPG

Ruins of an old windmill.
DSC03306.JPG

A memorial in the form of a stone boat.
DSC03315.JPG

Red.

asmodeus

Post by asmodeus »

No pictorial or photo, but I kept these postcards. Starting with Queenstown.
Attachments
img017.jpg
Truth is the daughter of time

asmodeus

Post by asmodeus »

Irish Colleen (young girl/woman)
Attachments
img018.jpg
img019.jpg

asmodeus

Post by asmodeus »

Ireland- Harp and Shamrock
Attachments
img020.jpg

asmodeus

Post by asmodeus »

Little Shamrock, Ireland and "Hands Across The Sea".....
Attachments
img021.jpg
img022.jpg

asmodeus

Post by asmodeus »

Ireland & Harp
Attachments
img023.jpg

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

Asmodeus. Please use the place inline tab.
And file comment allows you to title underneath your images. See my images above.
2020-12-28_180824.jpg

Waffle
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Post by Waffle »

Postcard of Molly Malone with her wheelbarrow.
Postcard of Molly Malone with her wheelbarrow.
I prefer to collect UK, British Commonwealth esp Pacific area ( not excluding West Indies/Canada ) and Western Europe. At the bottom of my zone of interest is Eastern Europe and communist countries.

Waffle

Post by Waffle »

Stamp of Ireland on the reverse.
Stamp of Ireland on the reverse.
I prefer to collect UK, British Commonwealth esp Pacific area ( not excluding West Indies/Canada ) and Western Europe. At the bottom of my zone of interest is Eastern Europe and communist countries.

Waffle

Post by Waffle »

Card from Limavady in County Londonderry, Northern Ireland where I worked as a G.P. 1974-1976
Card from Limavady in County Londonderry, Northern Ireland where I worked as a G.P. 1974-1976

Waffle

Post by Waffle »

Stamp of U.K on reverse.
Stamp of U.K on reverse.

Waffle

Post by Waffle »

Another from my sister from down south. Why do they not spill when turned sideways?
Another from my sister from down south. Why do they not spill when turned sideways?

Waffle

Post by Waffle »

Stamp of Ireland on reverse.
Stamp of Ireland on reverse.

Waffle

Post by Waffle »

one from up North. My Alma Mater.
one from up North. My Alma Mater.

Waffle

Post by Waffle »

Stamp of U.K.-post and go self adhesive format on reverse.
Stamp of U.K.-post and go self adhesive format on reverse.

Waffle

Post by Waffle »

Card from Ballina Co.Mayo.
Card from Ballina Co.Mayo.

Waffle

Post by Waffle »

Stamp of Ireland on reverse of card.
Stamp of Ireland on reverse of card.

Return to “Share with others here your NICE looking stamp and cover images etc.”