The new eBay payments system - bypassing PayPal etc

A venue to discuss unusual and interesting items being offered. Report and discuss fakes, forgeries, scammers and con-men. Also fee discussion, and low listing fee promos etc. Discuss feedback. Great items for sale. New policies ..... whatever YOU want!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

60022Mallard
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

The new eBay payments system - bypassing PayPal etc

Post by 60022Mallard »

Just received notification from eBay of their new payments processing system cutting out Paypal as below.

"eBay
Your payments are changing, are you ready?*

eBay now manages the end-to-end selling experience on our marketplace, including payments.

This means:

You get paid directly to your bank account, not your PayPal account, regardless of how the buyer chooses to pay.

We will initiate payouts within two business days of payment confirmation.

Your fees, expenses and charges will be automatically deducted.

No more PayPal payment processing fees or separate monthly fee payments.

Most sellers will pay the same or less than before.**

Learn more here.

Update your account details by ‌3‌0‌ ‌April‌ ‌2‌0‌2‌1‌.

Get started ➔

FAQ’s:
Why is the way I’m getting paid on eBay changing?
We are updating the payment experience on eBay to enhance the buying and selling experience on the marketplace. We believe this is an opportunity to deliver a more seamless experience for both buyers and sellers, while offering a greater choice in payment and payout options.

Is there anything I need to do right now?
Please update your account details, including adding your bank account information, by ‌3‌0‌ ‌April‌ ‌2‌0‌2‌1‌. Once you update your details, you will automatically offer all payment methods to your buyers, and we will initiate payouts within two business days of payment confirmation, regardless of how your buyer chooses to pay. Learn more here.

How are my fees changing?
Your eBay selling fees and expenses will be automatically deducted from your earnings before you get paid. The remainder of your earnings will go directly to your bank account, not your PayPal account. You’ll no longer have to pay PayPal payment processing fees and no more separate monthly fee payments. Examples of eBay selling fees include: insertion fees, listing upgrades and shop subscription fees.

*As it relates to funds settlement.

**Savings based on annual total sales volumes, and comparisons of (a) prior eBay final value fees plus typical 3rd party payment provider fees, with (b) updated eBay final value fees (without any 3rd party processing fees)."

This does mean eventually eBay will have direct access to buyer and seller bank accounts.

Fees will be deducted immediately by eBay and you will get your payment a couple of days later, possibly only after you indicate it is posted. I wonder if that will require a signed for method of delivery before they let you have your money?

I also had my first item from Europe that I put a bid in for have the little eBay note of "20% VAT to be added". On contacting the seller he was able to alter his listing such that VAT would not be payable as below.

"Just learned that France charges 20% VAT on any item sold, whether it is new or second hand. Probably that started as from the 1ste of January 2021. The item we are dealing with is about pictures from France. I filled in on the Ebay form that it was manufactured in France meaning the pictures were really taken in France. I have been doing that for years. No VAT so far.

I just tried to changed that 'country of origin France' statement but it is too late. Ebay does not change it any more since bids have been placed already. There is one other set of French shots though without bids so far. I also tried to change that one and it worked.

So I know what to do in the future to avoid buyers to pay VAT thanks to your mail. Appreciate it."

With eBay having access to bank accounts both ends the opportunity to avoid sales taxes may be reduced.
Number-O-Ne
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Re: New eBay payments system

Post by Number-O-Ne »

Same in the USA.

It's called "eBay managed payments" on eBay USA.

I believe it's just the first step before increasing store fees and final value percentages even more.

Tax implications are also going to complicate things. We certainly declare to the IRS if any transaction has a tax consequence. However, the way eBay will likely report the payments (as business transactions) may cause tax audits and additional tax invoices for amateur sellers like me.

I stopped my selling activities a week ago. Also canceled my basic store subscription. I wasn't selling much in the first place, just my duplicate material from time to time.

Looking for an alternative platform. Delcampe, maybe?
norvic
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by norvic »

It would be too complicated to ask everybody involved in a discussion on the other forum I go to (or Delphi) for permission to report what they wrote, so I'll put the link.

EBay's Managed Payment Plan - Total Joke

It seems to
- be overly complicated
- delay the receipt of your payments by days (previously in the UK you could get paid on PayPal and take the money into your bank account within 5 minutes)
- make downloading details, especially for tax purposes, difficult

There's also a link to https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2021/1/1610594569.html - this is applicable to the US, but could equally cause problems elsewhere.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - Remember almost everything I picture is available, unless otherwise stated or copied from elsewhere, as I reduce a roomful of 'stuff' - just ask. GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site
ddaann
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by ddaann »

Old saying: When something doesn't make sense, it's about the money.
In this instance, it's about money for eBay.
I am "ddaannv" on ebay, Dan at Dan's Stamps on HipStamp, and an APS member 86690 since 1976. Currently listing some British colonies, Disney, birds on stamps, and world-wide souvenir sheets including some on cover.
The Pom
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by The Pom »

More ebay genius.

I find myself reminded of this thread:

https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=80442&p=6100822
Always on the lookout for Australian pre decimal First Day Covers.
60022Mallard

Post by 60022Mallard »

From another website eBay will be increasing their fee to 12.8%, resulting in virtually no overall reduction in sellers fees.
Number-O-Ne

Post by Number-O-Ne »

60022Mallard wrote: 27 Jan 2021 05:35 From another website eBay will be increasing their fee to 12.8%, resulting in virtually no overall reduction in sellers fees.
Ebay managed payments fee consists of adding an amount equal to PayPal's payment processing fee to their final value fee. According to an email I received "some sellers have seen savings on the fees they pay". The example was a whopping difference of 0.5% (12.3 instead of 12.8) :lol: :lol:
GB 789
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by GB 789 »

Whilst there are some drawbacks to this change, there are also advantages for sellers. In the event of having to pay a refund to a buyer, it will be far easier to claim back the fees on an item rather than currently having to separately chase up the PayPal fee separately to the eBay fee. This will save time for those who sell in higher volumes.

Also, it ‘should’ be safer against fraudulent buyers for the money to be handled only by eBay rather than paying through PayPal as, again, any issues that arrive you will only have to deal with eBay, not PayPal as well. I have had a number of experiences where eBay decide one thing yet PayPal are not on the same page with the same issue. This new process ‘should’ streamline things and make it easier should any problems arise.

Ultimately people don’t like change but it will be accepted as the norm in a short time. I remember the complaints when PayPal was made compulsory on all goods except cars. People said it would cause a huge exodus of sellers. That did not happen and people quickly saw how this actually improved the buying and selling experience with increased safety compared to other methods. I think these changes will be accepted as the norm pretty quickly.
(And PayPal can still be used as a payment method too!)
Number-O-Ne

Post by Number-O-Ne »

Previous changes were not that big of a deal compared to this time.

More control, delays in payments and requests for a lot more personal information from eBay are just a few issues.

I've been selling on eBay since 2001. Not much, but continuously. This time I decided not to sell on eBay any more.
60022Mallard

Post by 60022Mallard »

GB 789 wrote: 27 Jan 2021 07:52 In the event of having to pay a refund to a buyer, it will be far easier to claim back the fees on an item rather than currently having to separately chase up the PayPal fee separately to the eBay fee. This will save time for those who sell in higher volumes.
I have not experienced having to reclaim fees separately for a refund.

eBay are not doing this for philanthropic reasons. It is to salami slice more money out of sellers. Their fees will be in their account three weeks on average quicker than they are now, and sellers fees a minimum of two days later than now.
60022Mallard

Post by 60022Mallard »

norvic wrote: 27 Jan 2021 03:45
There's also a link to https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2021/1/1610594569.html - this is applicable to the US, but could equally cause problems elsewhere.
An interesting link for business sellers to see what could be coming to the UK as Rishi looks for cash.

I wonder if eBay will be forwarding the money instantly to the IRS or State treasuries as soon as the money hits their accounts LOL!
GB 789

Post by GB 789 »

60022Mallard wrote: 27 Jan 2021 09:36
GB 789 wrote: 27 Jan 2021 07:52 In the event of having to pay a refund to a buyer, it will be far easier to claim back the fees on an item rather than currently having to separately chase up the PayPal fee separately to the eBay fee. This will save time for those who sell in higher volumes.
I have not experienced having to reclaim fees separately for a refund.

eBay are not doing this for philanthropic reasons. It is to salami slice more money out of sellers. Their fees will be in their account three weeks on average quicker than they are now, and sellers fees a minimum of two days later than now.
I see your point, and it was nice sometimes having a large sale on the 1st of the month knowing the eBay fee for it wouldn’t go out for another 30 or so days. However, that money was always going to have to be paid anyway so it can’t really be complained about.

As long as the fees stay the same as currently, or at least don’t rise more than 1%, I don’t se much of a problem. Business sellers would already factor in those fees at the end of the month, and unless they were playing a dangerous game of gambling on spending that fee money on new goods for a higher return, won’t be any worse off than now.

Ultimately it boils down to is there another online venue which offers such a potentially wide market for sellers, particularly with how easy EBay makes it to buy and sell on there, but unfortunately the answer is no.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

60022Mallard wrote: 27 Jan 2021 05:35 From another website eBay will be increasing their fee to 12.8%, resulting in virtually no overall reduction in sellers fees.

No surprise there at all. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!
joford-63
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by joford-63 »

Global Administrator wrote: 27 Jan 2021 10:01

True, no surprise. I was changed over a few months ago, I had no choice, and after the initial reaction of "yay, no PayPal fees" I soon realised the changes were so eBay could pocket some extra dough.

Only one of my stores got changed over though, so now I have both the old and new systems going. I am slow to learn new things but I got used to the new one quicker than expected, so others probably will too.

As for comparing the old and new? Both are unnessarily convoluted and fussy and leave me shaking my head. Both prioritise eBay's profits over any fairness to sellers.

One difference I have already noticed is that it is now easier for buyers to defraud Sellers. EBay has taken the opportunity to slip in other changes under the guise of managed payments. Buyers now get automatic refunds for complaints about goods not received, when goods are still in transit. No more contacting the seller first, no more checking the tracking to see which weird place Aust Post has sent the package too. If the buyer ordered it on Friday and complains it hasn't arrived on Mon, automatic refund. EBay likes to pretend it is Amazon, while still relying on Aust Post.

Aarrrggghh, I could go on but time to stop ranting.

Jo
Number-O-Ne

Post by Number-O-Ne »

GB 789 wrote: 27 Jan 2021 09:45
As long as the fees stay the same as currently, or at least don’t rise more than 1%, I don’t se much of a problem.
The percentage fees may not change much, but my hunch is that an increase in store fees is on the way.
lakatoi lover
I was online for post number ONE MILLION!

Post by lakatoi lover »

joford-63 wrote: 27 Jan 2021 10:46
Global Administrator wrote: 27 Jan 2021 10:01

True, no surprise. I was changed over a few months ago, I had no choice, and after the initial reaction of "yay, no PayPal fees" I soon realised the changes were so eBay could pocket some extra dough.

Only one of my stores got changed over though, so now I have both the old and new systems going. I am slow to learn new things but I got used to the new one quicker than expected, so others probably will too.

As for comparing the old and new? Both are unnessarily convoluted and fussy and leave me shaking my head. Both prioritise eBay's profits over any fairness to sellers.

One difference I have already noticed is that it is now easier for buyers to defraud Sellers. EBay has taken the opportunity to slip in other changes under the guise of managed payments. Buyers now get automatic refunds for complaints about goods not received, when goods are still in transit. No more contacting the seller first, no more checking the tracking to see which weird place Aust Post has sent the package too. If the buyer ordered it on Friday and complains it hasn't arrived on Mon, automatic refund. EBay likes to pretend it is Amazon, while still relying on Aust Post.

Aarrrggghh, I could go on but time to stop ranting.

Jo

I have been selling on eBay since 2001, so I have seen all the changes on eBay. I would class 90% of them as backward steps for sellers.

Continual fee increases, can't leave negative or neutral feedback for problem buyers etc etc but this eBay payments system was the end for me. When I was told I had no option but to join this system and I saw what was proposed in terms of payments, enough was enough.

The highlighted text above was the final straw. It was hard enough to deal with some buyers under the old system but with COVID-19 and slooowwww mail deliveries, I could see this becoming a nightmare, especially with eBay's "Expected Delivery" dates - what a joke.

eBay doesn't do anything that doesn't increase their profits, if the seller benefits....that's a bonus.

I liked eBay as a place to sell your unwanted stamps, but I have slowly watched eBay shoot itself in the foot over and over again... this was a bullet to the brain. :lol:

I will continue to buy on eBay as there are still bargains to be found, but I will no longer be selling.

Cheers

Bill.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

joford-63 wrote: 27 Jan 2021 10:46
One difference I have already noticed is that it is now easier for buyers to defraud Sellers. EBay has taken the opportunity to slip in other changes under the guise of managed payments. Buyers now get automatic refunds for complaints about goods not received, when goods are still in transit.

No more contacting the seller first, no more checking the tracking to see which weird place Aust Post has sent the package too. If the buyer ordered it on Friday and complains it hasn't arrived on Mon, automatic refund. EBay likes to pretend it is Amazon, while still relying on Australia Post.

This is almost certainly illegal under consumer law here, but I guess most smaller sellers do not have the will to deal with calls, or emails, to some drone in Bangladesh, wasting an hour of time, and getting raised blood pressure, to try and sort a $10 rip off. Cop it on the chin, and move on with life. You lose your stamps AND all your shipping costs. The wonders of ScamBay.

Glen
towradji

Re: The new eBay payments system - bypassing PayPal etc

Post by towradji »

I was changed over a few months ago.

My eBay customers usually email first but if they lodge a dispute, you have to just cop it.

The weekly payments every Tuesday are very reliable as I previously only withdrew from PayPal when the balance was over $1000 or so.

Fees are a bit higher eg 0.3% but I now see total fees and don’t have to check the PayPal fee.

No shortage of buyers though, a lot of new customers who become repeat since October.
MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

joford-63 wrote: 27 Jan 2021 10:46 One difference I have already noticed is that it is now easier for buyers to defraud Sellers. EBay has taken the opportunity to slip in other changes under the guise of managed payments. Buyers now get automatic refunds for complaints about goods not received, when goods are still in transit. No more contacting the seller first, no more checking the tracking to see which weird place Aust Post has sent the package too. If the buyer ordered it on Friday and complains it hasn't arrived on Mon, automatic refund. EBay likes to pretend it is Amazon, while still relying on Aust Post.

So does this mean that each member here can order one* item from The Greek Forger and then get an automatic refund from George/Niccole Nassar's bank account? :lol: :lol:

*after which time they will be blocked
Number-O-Ne

Post by Number-O-Ne »

towradji wrote: 27 Jan 2021 12:29 I was changed over a few months ago.

My eBay customers usually email first but if they lodge a dispute, you have to just cop it.

The weekly payments every Tuesday are very reliable as I previously only withdrew from PayPal when the balance was over $1000 or so.

Fees are a bit higher eg 0.3% but I now see total fees and don’t have to check the PayPal fee.

No shortage of buyers though, a lot of new customers who become repeat since October.

I think for sellers with enough volume managed payments would be acceptable. It's like running a store like any other.

People like me, collectors who simply sell duplicates, will be driven out.
60022Mallard

Post by 60022Mallard »

MJ's pet wrote: 27 Jan 2021 12:32
joford-63 wrote: 27 Jan 2021 10:46 One difference I have already noticed is that it is now easier for buyers to defraud Sellers. EBay has taken the opportunity to slip in other changes under the guise of managed payments. Buyers now get automatic refunds for complaints about goods not received, when goods are still in transit. No more contacting the seller first, no more checking the tracking to see which weird place Aust Post has sent the package too. If the buyer ordered it on Friday and complains it hasn't arrived on Mon, automatic refund. EBay likes to pretend it is Amazon, while still relying on Aust Post.

So does this mean that each member here can order one* item from The Greek Forger and then get an automatic refund from George/Niccole Nassar's bank account? :lol: :lol:

*after which time they will be blocked
It will also make it difficult for small sellers like me to claim money back from Royal Mail for lost in post. They have minimum times for deciding if an item is lost and require an e-mail trail or similar.

All the more reason too for sellers to not post feedback before the item has had delivery acknowledged.

When lost in the post I leave. "Sorry item lost in post. Full refund given."

More than the odd one of those in a buyer's feedback might well set seller alarm bells ringing!
towradji

Post by towradji »

Pity if ebay loses the small sellers. I am also a buyer and a lot of my purchases for my own collections come from the small & infrequent sellers. I don't buy on ebay to re sell though, just don't fish in the same pond.

With the buyers who claim "lost in the post", they go on my blocked list, forever.

Inevitably they email about not being able to bid on some lot. The message is clear, blocked for life.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

towradji wrote: 27 Jan 2021 21:25

With the buyers who claim "lost in the post", they go on my blocked list, forever.

Inevitably they email about not being able to bid on some lot. The message is clear, blocked for life.

The 100,000s of folks in Asia and India etc, for whom "Goods not received" is their main and very lucrative full time business, will be crying in their sleep that one guy in Melbourne from eBay's 200 million sellers has blocked them I am certain. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Laughing their heads off more likely, as they often run dozens of ConBay accounts per scammer. They'll probably whack you for 10 more claims just to prove a point. :idea:
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!
towradji

Post by towradji »

Yep, you have more experience than me.

My lost in the post are about 1 in 250 orders, 95% Australian addresses.
GB 789

Post by GB 789 »

towradji wrote: 27 Jan 2021 22:35 .
Yep, you have more experience than me.

My lost in the post are about 1 in 250 orders, 95% Australian addresses.
I guess your point also reiterates the importance of having cast iron conditions on which countries you ship too. From the UK, I have never had any issues sending to all EU countries, Australia, Canada, USA, New Zealand and Japan. I will not post elsewhere though unless full tracking and insurance is available to that destination from Royal Mail.
60022Mallard

Post by 60022Mallard »

GB 789 wrote: 28 Jan 2021 04:17
towradji wrote: 27 Jan 2021 22:35

I guess your point also reiterates the importance of having cast iron conditions on which countries you ship too. From the UK, I have never had any issues sending to all EU countries, Australia, Canada, USA, New Zealand and Japan. I will not post elsewhere though unless full tracking and insurance is available to that destination from Royal Mail.

Even with tracking RM require passage of more than a month to overseas destinations before they will consider it lost and pay up. It would appear eBay are not going to wait to refund "no show" claims before the RM time limit.

It also raises the question of whether eBay will require tracking for everything - a ridiculous requirement for overseas "penny" items such as many stamp trades are.
borsac

Post by borsac »

If someone offered a viable alternative platform to them for antiques, art and collectables I'd there in a heart beat.

I sell $5k+ a week on eBay (virtually none of that is stamps, I sell mostly militaria, tribal, Australiana and collectables) and I've been selling there since 1999 and I'm not even a little tiny bit big enough for them to give a rat's toss bag about.

They don't want small sellers.

They don't want their sellers and their buyers making any contact outside their control. I recently got threatened by them for asking a buyer for his phone number for a courier delivery!

They want to be Amazon.

They will never be Amazon.

They are bullies too. I had a local guy contact me wanting to personally look at a painting I had listed and they sent me some "you look like you're doing a deal outside of eBay so we'll deduct the commission regardless" message.

End rant. Would have added a lot of expletives if I could have. Sorry!

Last edited by Global Administrator on 28 Jan 2021 23:23, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added pars and spacing and “air” – always a superb idea on Bulletin Boards! Use the "PREVIEW" button folks. It is there for a GOOD reason. Added COUNTRY.
GB 789

Post by GB 789 »

borsac wrote: 28 Jan 2021 22:58
If someone offered a viable alternative platform to them for antiques, art and collectables I'd there in a heart beat.

I sell $5k+ a week on eBay (virtually none of that is stamps, I sell mostly militaria, tribal, Australiana and collectables) and I've been selling there since 1999 and I'm not even a little tiny bit big enough for them to give a rat's toss bag about.

They don't want small sellers.

They don't want their sellers and their buyers making any contact outside their control. I recently got threatened by them for asking a buyer for his phone number for a courier delivery!

They want to be Amazon.

They will never be Amazon.

They are bullies too. I had a local guy contact me wanting to personally look at a painting I had listed and they sent me some "you look like you're doing a deal outside of eBay so we'll deduct the commission regardless" message.

End rant. Would have added a lot of expletives if I could have. Sorry!

It’s a fair point again you make there. I don’t sell to that level as eBay isn’t my main income source but I do sell on average about £500 a week mainly in postal history and broken down collections purchased from auctions. It’s enough money to have to declare it for tax purposes but the amount of time it takes isn’t feasible for a business as it is very much high turnover with low profit. I love eBay because it lets me dabble in the stamp business without any real risk, but I’d have to completely change my selling model if I was to sell full time.

However, in your case I assume that turnover each week means it is your main income so you will be more affected by these changes. However, the fact ebay has allowed you to build up a clearly successful venture also suggests that the value of eBay to you, me and millions of other sellers is still huge and we will have to ultimately adapt to these changes.

I personally don’t believe they want to get rid of all small sellers across all markets, more they want to get rid of smaller sellers in certain markets like clothing and electronics to get rid of the ‘tat’.

Despite not being one of the highest grossing markets, I still believe that eBay would see stamps and collectibles as an important area to keep smaller sellers because they then offer far more variety in those areas than if there were only a few larger sellers operating. This is different in other markets because those larger companies in clothing etc CAN still provide the variety buyers want. That is just not possible with collectibles like stamps because of the huge range of collecting areas.
borsac

Post by borsac »

GB 789 wrote: 29 Jan 2021 04:40
It’s a fair point again you make there. I don’t sell to that level as eBay isn’t my main income source but I do sell on average about £500 a week mainly in postal history and broken down collections purchased from auctions. It’s enough money to have to declare it for tax purposes but the amount of time it takes isn’t feasible for a business as it is very much high turnover with low profit. I love eBay because it lets me dabble in the stamp business without any real risk, but I’d have to completely change my selling model if I was to sell full time.

However, in your case I assume that turnover each week means it is your main income so you will be more affected by these changes. However, the fact ebay has allowed you to build up a clearly successful venture also suggests that the value of eBay to you, me and millions of other sellers is still huge and we will have to ultimately adapt to these changes.

I personally don’t believe they want to get rid of all small sellers across all markets, more they want to get rid of smaller sellers in certain markets like clothing and electronics to get rid of the ‘tat’.

Despite not being one of the highest grossing markets, I still believe that eBay would see stamps and collectibles as an important area to keep smaller sellers because they then offer far more variety in those areas than if there were only a few larger sellers operating. This is different in other markets because those larger companies in clothing etc CAN still provide the variety buyers want. That is just not possible with collectibles like stamps because of the huge range of collecting areas.

You make assumptions. My eBay sales probably make up about 25% of my income. But as a lot of people here would agree it can be a very rewarding way of connecting with a wider market.

I find it sad where I'm seeing eBay heading.

They want you to buy your next pair of Adidas shoes or Levi jeans through them. Not your stamps or your collectables. And if you do choose to sell your stamps ansd collectables with them they will (one way or another) get at least 20% from you. Probably more!

As I said the antique and collectables market is ripe for an alternative platform.

I've also noticed that local auction rooms have often been getting better than eBay money for the more predictable collectables.

Their auction system is totally kaput. On the rare occasion I use auction you'll get 45 watchers and one bidder.

The place is rife will dodgy selling and shill bidding. Almost all of my listings are with a semi high-ish 'Buy It Now' and an open offer setting.

I studied contract law many moons ago and one thing I've always remembered was that a business acting as an agency should in good faith act in the best interests of whomever it is an agent of and draws a fee from i.e. the seller.

Ebay go the opposite of this.
norvic

Post by norvic »

They got the last bit right.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - Remember almost everything I picture is available, unless otherwise stated or copied from elsewhere, as I reduce a roomful of 'stuff' - just ask. GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site
GB 789

Post by GB 789 »

Replying to Borsac’s comments above.

I have to say I disagree with your points here. You cannot compare the clothes market with any sort of collectible market, they are completely different. One pair of Adidas trainers is the same as another bought anywhere in the world and so the market is generic.

Collectibles are unique and far more wide ranging, particularly philately possibly more than any other. The market is not generic for stamps it is a very specific, smaller market and buyers are far more specialised and concerned with what they are buying than people buying the latest pair of trainers.

For clothing and other retail type goods I do agree with you that eBay is trying to be the new ASOS or similar company and for that reason no they don’t really want smaller scale sellers. However, that is just not the reality with the stamp market as it is only having smaller sellers that gives eBay the massive variety it has. You can literally buy anything stamp related on there from wallpaper issues from dodgy agencies to May date penny black covers.

No other market place anywhere has that variety and scale of both buyers and sellers that eBay offers. With the technology and finance available, if another general online collectable market place with the same scope as eBay could exist it would already do so but it doesn’t exist because it’s not feasible. Smaller sites, like Delcampe, which cater only for a small section of the overall collectibles market coexist with eBay but there is no replacement for it that would ever be able to offer pretty much every collectible market like eBay does.

I am in no way questioning your knowledge of your market as I don’t know it away from stamps but I have enough experience in the stamp market as a high frequency buyer and seller to know that no other online venue offers as much as eBay.

Yes there are SOME fraudulent sellers (and buyers) but NO WHERE NEAR the scale made out by some on here. Would I buy a £1000 phone off eBay from a private seller, no chance! Would I buy a £1000 stamp from a private seller where I have done the necessary research of the item and have the experience and knowledge to assess it as genuine, yes every day of the week.

I do hope you adapt to the changes and continue your clearly successful endeavours selling on eBay as I really can’t see a large scale alternative collectable marketplace becoming a realistic prospect any time soon.
60022Mallard

Post by 60022Mallard »

GB 789 wrote: 30 Jan 2021 04:18

Yes there are SOME fraudulent sellers (and buyers) but NO WHERE NEAR the scale made out by some on here. Would I buy a £1000 phone off eBay from a private seller, no chance! Would I buy a £1000 stamp from a private seller where I have done the necessary research of the item and have the experience and knowledge to assess it as genuine, yes every day of the week.

Will you still be buying when eBay add 20% VAT to your winning bid. Will the seller keep offering them if he has to pay eBay's fees based on a final selling price including that VAT effectively reducing what he would have got around another 2.5%
GB 789

Post by GB 789 »

60022Mallard wrote: 30 Jan 2021 05:43
GB 789 wrote: 30 Jan 2021 04:18

Will you still be buying when eBay add 20% VAT to your winning bid. Will the seller keep offering them if he has to pay eBay's fees based on a final selling price including that VAT effectively reducing what he would have got around another 2.5%
Well I’m fortunate being in Britain that there is still such a large home market in the stamp section of eBay.co.uk, my yearly overview I undertook last December showed that 95% of items I bought in 2020 were from the UK and 92% I sold was to UK buyers. Smaller markets with lower populations, like Australia, will be more affected I’d imagine as they would be more likely to have to buy from abroad, I’m fortunate I do not need to very often.

Yes I do wish the fees were lower but I would argue that those extra % on fees that may get added is ‘overall’ more than recouped in the extra sales eBay brings. If people are finding it harder to sell during a global pandemic when stamp collecting has exploded as people look for a home based activity to do, it is not eBay to blame for it but a complete lack of selling skills.

The market is there, maybe some people just need to adapt their selling practices and stop looking for excuses as to why their items aren’t selling as well as they use too.
borsac

Post by borsac »

GB 789 wrote: 30 Jan 2021 06:45
Well I’m fortunate being in Britain that there is still such a large home market in the stamp section of eBay.co.uk, my yearly overview I undertook last December showed that 95% of items I bought in 2020 were from the UK and 92% I sold was to UK buyers. Smaller markets with lower populations, like Australia, will be more affected I’d imagine as they would be more likely to have to buy from abroad, I’m fortunate I do not need to very often.

I can only speak for myself and 85% or thereabouts of what I sell goes to Australian buyers. There's a good strong market here for a diverse range of collectables.

Yes I do wish the fees were lower but I would argue that those extra % on fees that may get added is ‘overall’ more than recouped in the extra sales eBay brings. If people are finding it harder to sell during a global pandemic when stamp collecting has exploded as people look for a home based activity to do, it is not eBay to blame for it but a complete lack of selling skills.

The market is there, maybe some people just need to adapt their selling practices and stop looking for excuses as to why their items aren’t selling as well as they use too.

Once again I can only speak for myself but can say 2020 was a fabulous year for sales. This year seems to have continued along those lines.

One adaption to my selling practices is that I've raised the cost of my postage so I can use eBay's mailing system (which I will say is excellent) and am only sending tracked parcels no matter the size of the item. I would imagine that eBay get a cut (or rebate) from Australia Post as well as charging me commission.

Incidentally there is no 'on-site' eBay facility for international post but they still take commission from the post cost quoted in the listing.

And a comment on an earlier post above in regard to fraud on eBay. I find it easier to find something dodgy that something that's not.

I am not delusional enough to think there'll be another platform like eBay. I just wish there was.
60022Mallard

Post by 60022Mallard »

Has anyone found a clear listing of what eBay fees will be under the new managed payments system.

I checked what Paypal fees in the UK are recently and found them now to be:

Within UK £0.30 + 2.9%. From Europe £0.30 + 3.4%. From rest of the world £0.30 + 4.9%

Rather more than I thought. I seem to recall £0.23 as the item cost and 4.9% a rip off to add to the ungenerous exchange rate they offer to the seller.

As eBay are going to accept payment from Paypal I am wondering if there fee structure will be built along the same line to allow for what they would get in from Paypal.
Number-O-Ne

Post by Number-O-Ne »

I noticed another issue with managed payments, this time as a buyer.

In good old days my payments for ebay purchases went through immediately. Now it shows "payment pending" forever after I complete the purchase.
towradji

Post by towradji »

Are you paying by PayPal, credit card or direct debit to a bank account?

If it is the later, they are cautious and waiting for your bank to respond.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

If buyer has no cleared funds in account or is waiting to bank fund it of course PayPal are cautious.

Me too!

Your head would explode to see how many orders we get where folks have ZERO funds in their supplied cards accounts.

Glen
Number-O-Ne

Post by Number-O-Ne »

Nope, good old credit card that gets approved instantly.
I think ebay is taking it easy.
Thanks for the inputs.
blue-within-blue

Post by blue-within-blue »

It's nearly 3 weeks since the original posting on this thread, but I have received no such message from Ebay about the new system. Does it only apply to business sellers?

My account dashboard still contains messages saying "Buying on eBay: Your eBay account is linked to this PayPal account for purchases" and "Selling on eBay: You specify the payment method you accept from buyers when you list items for sale".

Rob
60022Mallard

Post by 60022Mallard »

60022Mallard wrote: 08 Feb 2021 21:45 Has anyone found a clear listing of what eBay fees will be under the new managed payments system.

I checked what Paypal fees in the UK are recently and found them now to be:

Within UK £0.30 + 2.9%. From Europe £0.30 + 3.4%. From rest of the world £0.30 + 4.9%

Rather more than I thought. I seem to recall £0.23 as the item cost and 4.9% a rip off to add to the ungenerous exchange rate they offer to the seller.

As eBay are going to accept payment from Paypal I am wondering if there fee structure will be built along the same line to allow for what they would get in from Paypal.
I think I have found the structure. For sales within the UK, eBay will now charge 12.8% plus £0.30, so a gnats whisker less, but the sneaky bit appears to be something now called International fee.

For sales from Europe, eBay will charge 13.4% plus £0.30, so no saving. From the US and Canada 14.96% plus £0.30, so more expensive and rest of the world 15.2% plus £0.30, even more expensive.

Don't you just love them!
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

60022Mallard wrote: 15 Feb 2021 07:05
I think I have found the structure. For sales within the UK, eBay will now charge 12.8% plus £0.30, so a gnats whisker less, but the sneaky bit appears to be something now called International fee.

For sales from Europe, eBay will charge 13.4% plus £0.30, so no saving. From the US and Canada 14.96% plus £0.30, so more expensive and rest of the world 15.2% plus £0.30, even more expensive.

Don't you just love them!

Sounds crystal clear to me. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So on a cheapie item from here - a £1 stamp say, the fee will be a modest 50% or so added on top.
Bill H UK

Post by Bill H UK »

I think eBay are working though their lists, transferring blocks of sellers at a time, to avoid a 'big bang' date.
They've just insisted I supply my bank details for my latest sale, whereas last week I was paid through Paypal as normal.

I'm glad I had an old, dormant current account I could use - I didn't fancy giving them details of my main current account, with carte blanche to take what they saw fit.

I'll give it a try, but I don't like it. I like to see the cash in my Paypal before I dispatch. I don't like the lack of control.
If I decided to make a small refund to the buyer because (say) the postage cost less than I thought, or they inadvertently overpaid, it was simple and kept the buyer happy. I can't see how I'd do that now.

The premiums for overseas (plus Brexit) means I now advertise 'UK only' - a backwards step. I also don't like waiting a week for eBay to pay up.
I'm very much the small-time amateur (£50-£100 a month on average) - stamps and records /CDs mostly - any advice on any better platforms to use, because I don't like this new arrangement much?

Finally, I found this under 'fees' on the website - sounds a bit ominous...

Dispute fee
When you are found responsible for a chargeback or other disputed amount as per eBay's policies, we charge a £16.80 dispute fee for each dispute.

What on earth does this mean? Don't argue or it'll cost you another £17??
Collecting mint British Empire / Colonial up to the 1960s, Bridlington & East Yorkshire postal history, and wacky postcards.
60022Mallard

Post by 60022Mallard »

Bill H UK

I believe that under the new rules eBay will not be waiting the Royal Mail times that they require before accepting loss in the post should your buyer open a case.

The end point of this is having to send stuff signed for, which from the UK is expensive and ridiculous for many of the stamp items I sell.

ebay have sellers in a straight jacket.
lakatoi lover

Post by lakatoi lover »

60022Mallard wrote: 28 Feb 2021 06:31 ebay have sellers in a straight jacket.
Exactly, that's why I stopped selling on eBay 6 months ago.

Losing nearly 20% in eBay & Paypal fees was bad enough but the new payments system was the end for me.

Cheers

Bill
Bill H UK

Post by Bill H UK »

60022Mallard wrote: 28 Feb 2021 06:31 Bill H UK

I believe that under the new rules eBay will not be waiting the Royal Mail times that they require before accepting loss in the post should your buyer open a case.

The end point of this is having to send stuff signed for, which from the UK is expensive and ridiculous for many of the stamp items I sell.

ebay have sellers in a straight jacket.
Is there any indication of how long they consider reasonable?
Collecting mint British Empire / Colonial up to the 1960s, Bridlington & East Yorkshire postal history, and wacky postcards.
jjarmstrong47

Post by jjarmstrong47 »

I just had a note from a dealer I buy from most weeks. His prices are always good so to help keep his costs down, I've got into the habit of doing a direct bank transfer.

He tells me that under the new rules, eBay charge on bank transfers as well now so there is no saving. This is just another eBay money grab!

It is getting to the point where anyone who sells on eBay is going to be eligible for the dreamers thread.
Where do the years go? I went from philandering to philately and didn't even notice.
http://www.engravedstamps.net
Kennethsequeira

Post by Kennethsequeira »

Last night had a trouble paying for an item on eBay .....

During payment checkout via the eBay app, it usually used to directly connect me to Paypal screen (authenticated via face ID ) with PayPal payment methods ...but yesterday it asked me to log in via a web browser ( I thought some new update must have caused it)... after typing the credentials it just did not connect... after 3 - 4 mins, I cancelled the transaction.

So I started the journey again through the laptop... same experience ... I then noticed some new options at checkout.... Earlier Paypal was default... Now my Credit Card was the 1st option then Paypal balance, then Paypal Credit and newly added Google Pay.... :!:

I did not want to pay via Credit Card as I had my Paypal balance... so I logged out eBay and tried logging in again...

I noticed apart from logging in via eBay credentials, there was always login via FB & Google accounts... this time there was login via Apple ID ... has any one seen this before :?:

After spending 15 mins figuring how to connect to Paypal for payment... I gave up and paid via Credit Card.. :twisted:
Collecting Interest: Cricket; India: Flags on stamps,
Cyprus: Obligatory Refugee Fund Tax
fromdownunder
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Post by fromdownunder »

Does anybody else think that what they are doing is simply finding ways to try to eliminate the desire of small "car boot" type sales people to put stuff on eBay? I am pretty certain that they would have talked to some of their large retail sellers and negotiated with them before implementing such drastic changes, and that small multiple stamp offers of $5.00 or less with hundreds of thousands of such offers around all the time would not be exactly one of their most profitable areas.

Norm
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in Vain
towradji

Post by towradji »

No, not at all.

They make their margin on $ turnover. Costs related to extra items are tiny.

They want volume and plenty of it.

I am a small fish seller and haven’t seen any indication they want shot of me. The opposite actually.

Return to “All Online Stamp Auction related discussion and overview”